This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Pregame: New Jersey @ Edmonton (Game #18)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Pregame: New Jersey @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #746366]
Fri, 08 November 2019 03:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final
Score Prediction
Login To Make Your Prediction

Edmonton to win:   0%
New Jersey to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

2019-20 Regular Season
Thursday, October 10, 2019Edmonton 4 @ New Jersey 3 (OT) (SO)Win
Friday, November 8, 2019New Jersey 0 @ Edmonton 4Win
Home Record: 1-0-0       Road Record: 1-0-0       Overall Record: 2-0-0
Home / Road Goals For: 4/4 Total: 8
Home / Road Goals Against: 0/3 Total: 3

2018-19 Regular Season
Saturday, October 6, 2018Edmonton 2 @ New Jersey 5Loss
Wednesday, March 13, 2019New Jersey 6 @ Edmonton 3Loss
Home Record: 0-1-0       Road Record: 0-1-0       Overall Record: 0-2-0
Home / Road Goals For: 3/2 Total: 5
Home / Road Goals Against: 6/5 Total: 11

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pregame: New Jersey @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #746368 is a reply to message #746366 ]
Fri, 08 November 2019 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

No Cups

This one could get silly. We lost the last bottom dweller match against Detroit. Both teams have a bit of questionable goal tending, defensive issues, offensive young hot shots. Could be like 7-6 hockey game.

Bob Marley and the (Hartford) Wailers.

Re: Pregame: New Jersey @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #746369 is a reply to message #746368 ]
Fri, 08 November 2019 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Xombie wrote on Fri, 08 November 2019 03:18

This one could get silly. We lost the last bottom dweller match against Detroit. Both teams have a bit of questionable goal tending, defensive issues, offensive young hot shots. Could be like 7-6 hockey game.

If we were scared to shoot on Allen, I suppose it could be even worse against goalie god Cory Schneider. Hope we can hold on for a 2-1 SO win!

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Pregame: New Jersey @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #746370 is a reply to message #746369 ]
Fri, 08 November 2019 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I think they will play well after coming off a loss.

Re: Pregame: New Jersey @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #746375 is a reply to message #746370 ]
Fri, 08 November 2019 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

This is kind of like a job interview for certain players. i expect a hall of a game.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Pregame: New Jersey @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #746377 is a reply to message #746375 ]
Fri, 08 November 2019 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Hall will be checked out of this game. He was supposed to have met with the Devils to talk contract in Calgary. They get beat 5-2. His team is 3 points out of dead last in the league. They have a couple of skinny kids as centers, Subban being Subban as I am sure he LOVES being in the NYC area and the 2 goalies they have can't stop a beach ball. So playoffs are out of the question already and it's barely November. Plus Nuge probably sent him a text saying "I need you buddy, you are the only player in this league that can make me score again. I need a winger that can carry me." So he will be distracted, especially when Nuge sends over a few real estate magazines for Edmonton.

Re: Pregame: New Jersey @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #746382 is a reply to message #746377 ]
Fri, 08 November 2019 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 08 November 2019 08:27

Hall will be checked out of this game. He was supposed to have met with the Devils to talk contract in Calgary. They get beat 5-2. His team is 3 points out of dead last in the league. They have a couple of skinny kids as centers, Subban being Subban as I am sure he LOVES being in the NYC area and the 2 goalies they have can't stop a beach ball. So playoffs are out of the question already and it's barely November. Plus Nuge probably sent him a text saying "I need you buddy, you are the only player in this league that can make me score again. I need a winger that can carry me." So he will be distracted, especially when Nuge sends over a few real estate magazines for Edmonton.

Which will backfire when Holland trades Nuge to get the $ to sign Hall :)

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Pregame: New Jersey @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #746383 is a reply to message #746382 ]
Fri, 08 November 2019 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 08 November 2019 10:01

I am not advocating to trade Nuge. I like him but I am not one of those fans who thinks Nuge walks on water like many in Oilerland do. He's a decent second line center capable of putting up 50 pts provided you have good wingers with him. He's a real good PP guy but a mediocre 5 on 5 player who's not capable of carrying a line nor does he make his linemates better. So you can't overpay a guy like Nuge. If he is looking for much more than the 6 he's making now in his next contract, then as a team you have to consider moving him. If you look at Eberle, he signed for 5.5 mill on a new extension which is a 500K pay cut. If Nuge expects much more than 6.5, maybe 7 at the highest, then you say bye bye because it won't be a good contract.

If a person takes off his "I LUV Nuge" t-shirt for a minute, even the 6 mill contract he's on right now, I don't think anyone can say it's a great contract. It's not horrible but given what he's done, it should probably have started with a 5. It's by no means a value deal. Not even close.

[Updated on: Fri, 08 November 2019 10:15]

Re: Pregame: New Jersey @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #746390 is a reply to message #746383 ]
Fri, 08 November 2019 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

F man, if we traded Nuge’s cap space for Taylor Hall?! That would be like we got Larssen and Hall for Nuge, if I’m doing Oilers mouth piece math.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Pregame: New Jersey @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #746420 is a reply to message #746390 ]
Fri, 08 November 2019 16:20 Go to previous message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Magnum wrote on Fri, 08 November 2019 09:35

F man, if we traded Nuge’s cap space for Taylor Hall?! That would be like we got Larssen and Hall for Nuge, if I’m doing Oilers mouth piece math.

well .. to be fair ... that would be (Larsson + Hall + (Trade value of Nuge)) = (Nuge + ($5.5 M extra cap hit for signing Hall))

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Pregame: New Jersey @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #746391 is a reply to message #746383 ]
Fri, 08 November 2019 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 08 November 2019 10:12

I am not advocating to trade Nuge. I like him but I am not one of those fans who thinks Nuge walks on water like many in Oilerland do. He's a decent second line center capable of putting up 50 pts provided you have good wingers with him. He's a real good PP guy but a mediocre 5 on 5 player who's not capable of carrying a line nor does he make his linemates better. So you can't overpay a guy like Nuge. If he is looking for much more than the 6 he's making now in his next contract, then as a team you have to consider moving him. If you look at Eberle, he signed for 5.5 mill on a new extension which is a 500K pay cut. If Nuge expects much more than 6.5, maybe 7 at the highest, then you say bye bye because it won't be a good contract.

If a person takes off his "I LUV Nuge" t-shirt for a minute, even the 6 mill contract he's on right now, I don't think anyone can say it's a great contract. It's not horrible but given what he's done, it should probably have started with a 5. It's by no means a value deal. Not even close.

Nuge, like 95% of C's in the league needs some quality wingers. He's not a 9M+ plus guy that is gonna be driving play with anyone. Really, even 9M guys will struggle with bad wingers, McDavid even did last year. I think 6M is reasonable today for a 2nd line C that can produce with the right wingers. We just don't have the right guys now. He needs at least 1 winger with good speed that can help the zone entries and puck retrievals. Neal is too slow, and should be a finisher for his C and the other winger carrying most of the play. If I had to pick a name that could be had, a guy like Athanasiou would be perfect on Nuge's line right now. The last season version of him at least.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Pregame: New Jersey @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #746394 is a reply to message #746391 ]
Fri, 08 November 2019 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 08 November 2019 10:35

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 08 November 2019 10:12

Nuge, like 95% of C's in the league needs some quality wingers. He's not a 9M+ plus guy that is gonna be driving play with anyone. Really, even 9M guys will struggle with bad wingers, McDavid even did last year. I think 6M is reasonable today for a 2nd line C that can produce with the right wingers. We just don't have the right guys now. He needs at least 1 winger with good speed that can help the zone entries and puck retrievals. Neal is too slow, and should be a finisher for his C and the other winger carrying most of the play. If I had to pick a name that could be had, a guy like Athanasiou would be perfect on Nuge's line right now. The last season version of him at least.

I don't disagree with you at all. Nuge needs better wingers. But as I said, Nuge is not a player who in my opinion makes anyone he plays with better. Look at the players he has played with and yes and I get there hasn't been guys who are good enough for the most part but none of them ever got better with Nuge. Even when Nuge had Eberle on his line but Hall was gone, they struggled. Why, because Eberle is not a line driver, either is Nuge and when Nuge is the best player on his line, it will struggle more times than not. Nuge is a complimentary player and as a center, that's a hard thing to be. In my opinion, in order for Nuge to succeed, he needs at least 2 other players who are just as good as him or at least one who is a lot better. If Nuge is the best player on the line, he will struggle because he can't elevate anyone.

When Nuge was at his best, he was on the wing with the best player in the world in McDavid. OR he had Hall (6 mill) all star player - Nuge(6 mill)- Eberle(6 mill). So you have to be very careful in what you pay Nuge because you are going to have to flank him with either one really expensive elite winger or 2 real good, fairly expensive guys. So you can't overpay Nuge.

Re: Pregame: New Jersey @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #746380 is a reply to message #746366 ]
Fri, 08 November 2019 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AndersonRules  is currently offline AndersonRules

No Cups

Can't let our losing streak extend to 3, especially against a bottom-dweller. Must-win! In regulation. Convincingly.

Re: Pregame: New Jersey @ Edmonton (Game #18) [message #746396 is a reply to message #746366 ]
Fri, 08 November 2019 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

MUST WIN!

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Pregame: New Jersey @ Edmonton (Game # [message #746412 is a reply to message #746396 ]
Fri, 08 November 2019 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 08 November 2019 11:19

MUST WIN!

How come almost every time you post that, the Oilers lose a close one, especially at home?
Not saying it’s your fault or Oscar’s but you and Klefbom don’ t seem to be appeasing the hockey gods lately. Let me try my old rally cry circa 2006.

Go Oilers. Crash Crash Crash Crash Crash

Re: Pregame: New Jersey @ Edmonton (Game # [message #746414 is a reply to message #746412 ]
Fri, 08 November 2019 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Fri, 08 November 2019 14:30

MUST WIN!

How come almost every time you post that, the Oilers lose a close one, especially at home?
Not saying it’s your fault or Oscar’s but you and Klefbom don’ t seem to be appeasing the hockey gods lately. Let me try my old rally cry circa 2006.

Hasn't Oscargasm said that before every game? And the Oilers are 10-5-2. Gotta keep it up!

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Pregame: New Jersey @ Edmonton (Game # [message #746415 is a reply to message #746414 ]
Fri, 08 November 2019 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 08 November 2019 16:12

GabbyDugan wrote on Fri, 08 November 2019 14:30

MUST WIN!

Hasn't Oscargasm said that before every game? And the Oilers are 10-5-2. Gotta keep it up!

Yeah. It’s an every pregame thread occurrence. So you’re welcome for being superstitious and helping the team to a 10-5-2 record. weights

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Previous Topic:GDT: New Jersey @ Edmonton (Game #18)
Next Topic:Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #17)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca