This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #17)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #746314]
Wed, 06 November 2019 21:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   0%
St. Louis to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #746321 is a reply to message #746314 ]
Wed, 06 November 2019 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

That was a classic Oilers game...unfortunately.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #746324 is a reply to message #746321 ]
Wed, 06 November 2019 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

It wasn't all bad. Just the 2nd, 3rd and 4th lines, Benning and the blender. Everything else was okay.

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #746325 is a reply to message #746324 ]
Wed, 06 November 2019 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

stemhovlichski wrote on Wed, 06 November 2019 21:14

It wasn't all bad. Just the 2nd, 3rd and 4th lines, Benning and the blender. Everything else was okay.

I've amended my position on players I earlier accused of playing weak games like Nuge and Smith. It's not that they were bad per se, they just didn't play well enough to compete against a championship-calibre team, not by a long stretch of anyone's drug-influenced imagination.

However, there are players like Manning and Khaira who don't belong on the same ice surface as a team like the Blues. Those guys wouldn't even be seriously considered for the Blues' farm team.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #746329 is a reply to message #746325 ]
Wed, 06 November 2019 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Wed, 06 November 2019 21:15

I've amended my position on players I earlier accused of playing weak games like Nuge and Smith. It's not that they were bad per se, they just didn't play well enough to compete against a championship-calibre team, not by a long stretch of anyone's drug-influenced imagination.

However, there are players like Manning and Khaira who don't belong on the same ice surface as a team like the Blues. Those guys wouldn't even be seriously considered for the Blues' farm team.

Nuge struggled tonight on the PP and particularly at the end with Smith pulled. Don't usually see him give away the puck that much, or lose that many battles but tonight was noticeable.

That 3rd goal against where the Blues puck carrier had all kinds of room to walk right in to the circle and shoot loomed large. Blown coverage has cost this team a lot lately.

Refusal to put puck on a stiff in the Blues net was a factor as well, I think.

I didn't pick the Oilers to win these last 2 games, expect much better against NJ. They're expected to win that one, and they'd better come up with an effort to do it.

[Updated on: Wed, 06 November 2019 21:51]

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #746331 is a reply to message #746329 ]
Wed, 06 November 2019 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Wed, 06 November 2019 21:38

Nuge struggled tonight on the PP and particularly at the end with Smith pulled. Don't usually see him give away the puck that much, or lose that many battles but tonight was noticeable.

That 3rd goal against where the Blues puck carrier had all kinds of room to walk right in to the circle and shoot loomed large. Blown coverage has cost this time a lot lately.

I didn't pick the Oilers to win these last 2 games, expect much better against NJ. They're expected to win that one, and they'd better come up with an effort to do it.

This game personally gave me flash backs to rebuild 2.0. Where we had all the young hot shots, but pacific division teams would just dominate us all night with their grindy play and rule bending that the refs ignore and smart and opportunistic play. While we are the fancy boys trying to force low percentage plays all night trying to get on the list for goal of the year candidate.

Was a men against boys kind of night.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #746333 is a reply to message #746331 ]
Wed, 06 November 2019 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 06 November 2019 21:46

That 3rd goal against where the Blues puck carrier had all kinds of room to walk right in to the circle and shoot loomed large. Blown coverage has cost this time a lot lately.

This game personally gave me flash backs to rebuild 2.0. Where we had all the young hot shots, but pacific division teams would just dominate us all night with their grindy play and rule bending that the refs ignore and smart and opportunistic play. While we are the fancy boys trying to force low percentage plays all night trying to get on the list for goal of the year candidate.

If interference and holding, slashing sticks out of hands doesn't get called, this is a result that can happen.

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #746334 is a reply to message #746333 ]
Wed, 06 November 2019 21:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Wed, 06 November 2019 21:50

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 06 November 2019 21:46

If interference and holding, slashing sticks out of hands doesn't get called, this is a result that can happen.

That's just good old time hockey! I expect the Blues to make another long playoff run doing the same, especially dominating other teams that want to fancy pants their way through games.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #746323 is a reply to message #746314 ]
Wed, 06 November 2019 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

Well, the Oil at least got to see how a Cup-winning team plays the game. You guys are not good enough yet to compete at that level until you pull your heads out of your asses. Cute passing is only going to piss opposing teams off and make them laugh at you when you lose the game.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #746326 is a reply to message #746314 ]
Wed, 06 November 2019 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
travgwhite  is currently offline travgwhite

No Cups

Cant believe how many times I yelled shoot in this game only to see a near impossible pass attempted and the play end and go the other way.

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #746327 is a reply to message #746314 ]
Wed, 06 November 2019 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

In Genes post game interviews, I can’t tell which person just pulled a sweaty helmet off.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #746337 is a reply to message #746327 ]
Thu, 07 November 2019 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I thought Leon and McDavid were good. I thought Kassian was pretty decent. Neal had a few chances. I thought Bear and Russell were good. Nurse was decent but you didn't notice him much. I'd like to see him get noticed more i.e a few big hits, show that edge. Give some life to the guys. Other than that, not a lot was going on.

Chiasson was decent and unlucky not to score.

Haas I didn't think was too bad.

Gagner wasn't horrible but I don't think he's a full time NHLer.

Khaira back to doing nothing.

Cave was lousy. Doesn't generate much on offense and he was horrible on the PK. When he struggles defensively, he doesn't bring you nothing. He's a 12-13 forward and he looked like it.

P. Russell experiment needs to end. He's Brad Malone. A guy who can play in your bottom 6, do some things OK at times but has zero offense and shouldn't be in your line up more than the odd game.

Jurco experiment needs to end. According to Nielsen and Lowtide he is really fast and skilled. Well you never see it. He will be in Europe next year as I don't think he's an NHLer.

Klefbom struggled.

Benning wasn't very good.

Manning wasn't good. There is a fair amount of try but he's just too slow.

Smith I thought wasn't good. Allen was by far the better goalie.

Nuge was not good at all. Getting scoring from your bottom 6 is important but if you don't get squat from your second line, you will struggle. Nuge played 20 mins last night and he generated nothing. 3rd highest paid player on the team and he has 1 goal in 17 games. It's becoming very concerning. He needs to pick it up big time. The whole thing about finding a guy to play with Nuge I sort of get but at the same time, the center usually drives the line. Nuge doesn't seem to be able to drive a line which is a big problem.

[Updated on: Thu, 07 November 2019 08:55]

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #746341 is a reply to message #746337 ]
Thu, 07 November 2019 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 07 November 2019 08:53

Jurco experiment needs to end. According to Nielsen and Lowtide he is really fast and skilled. Well you never see it. He will be in Europe next year as I don't think he's an NHLer.

Ryan Rishaug @TSNRyanRishaug
Jurco on waivers.

Too bad. Unfortunately another skilled kid that is just not able to bring it very often. However, I expect he will be a PPG guy for some other team in a couple years, just because.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #746345 is a reply to message #746341 ]
Thu, 07 November 2019 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 07 November 2019 10:04

Jurco on waivers.

Too bad. Unfortunately another skilled kid that is just not able to bring it very often. However, I expect he will be a PPG guy for some other team in a couple years, just because.

Not shocked by that. It doesn't seem to matter where he plays in the line up, he doesn't do anything.

Who's next?

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #746348 is a reply to message #746345 ]
Thu, 07 November 2019 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 07 November 2019 10:19

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 07 November 2019 10:04

Jurco on waivers.

Not shocked by that. It doesn't seem to matter where he plays in the line up, he doesn't do anything.

Who's next?

Mark Spector @SportsnetSpec

Colby Cave assigned to Bakersfield.
Along with Jurco on waivers, sounds like most or all of Nygard, Archibald and Sheahan are ready to return.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #746342 is a reply to message #746337 ]
Thu, 07 November 2019 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Nuge looks like he's saving himself for something. Not sure what that something is but getting a little more gritty would help his game. He's not a floater all the time but .... he needs to step up and earn those big bucks and be more of a factor in games. The team really didn't play that badly for the most part just can't score because they are too busy playing on the perimeter and looking for that highlight reel goal. You could really see the difference in commitment to hard work between the two teams. They won the cup for a reason and it wasn't all talent. I think there's still time for Jurco to improve and be a factor.

[Updated on: Thu, 07 November 2019 10:16]

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #746351 is a reply to message #746342 ]
Thu, 07 November 2019 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
McDavid97  is currently offline McDavid97

No Cups

We tried to force way too many pucks through and on cute passes instead of shooting. There is a reason why we are last in shots per game in the league.

Re: Review: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #746357 is a reply to message #746314 ]
Thu, 07 November 2019 16:56 Go to previous message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Jurco crashed and burned..that chinzy penalty he took to get St. Louis back to 1-1 was a moral killer...
He'll clear.. and be a pt a game AHL'er like last year.

Cave was decent 5 on 5 but his PK work was gruesome, which was his meal ticket... now he's back to dining at Bakersfield's Burger Baron..

Chaisson stick handles like he's breaking concrete, cno use to Nuge, or McD.

I figure put Kassian back up with 1st line, at least you'll have ONE line going.
McD has better fitness than either LD or Kass, the coach leaves the entire line out to suit McD's fitness & recuperation level, but LD and Kass can't match it. Kass really drops off near the end of shifts/game, and so does LD to a lesser extent. If I was coach, I'd get LD and Kass to come off on a manageable shift length, and let McD carry on with the next shift for another 30 seconds.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Previous Topic:Pregame: New Jersey @ Edmonton (Game #18)
Next Topic:Pregame: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #17)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca