This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Arizona @ Edmonton (Game #16)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Arizona @ Edmonton (Game #16) [message #746200]
Mon, 04 November 2019 21:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final (OT)

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   0%
Arizona to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Arizona @ Edmonton (Game #16) [message #746207 is a reply to message #746200 ]
Mon, 04 November 2019 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Key saves were needed.

Overall goaltending has not been the reason for losses this season. Tonight might be an exception.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Arizona @ Edmonton (Game #16) [message #746227 is a reply to message #746207 ]
Mon, 04 November 2019 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

g2k wrote on Mon, 04 November 2019 21:47

Key saves were needed.

Overall goaltending has not been the reason for losses this season. Tonight might be an exception.

The other teams have to stop shooting from the blocker side, high on Koskinen. It's almost like they know something...

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Review: Arizona @ Edmonton (Game #16) [message #746208 is a reply to message #746200 ]
Mon, 04 November 2019 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

Meh, the term “loser point” seems to be appropriate here. The Oil should have started Smith instead of Koski tonight.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Arizona @ Edmonton (Game #16) [message #746210 is a reply to message #746200 ]
Mon, 04 November 2019 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

THat was a pretty classic Oilers vs Coyotes game. Lame goal against. Refs being ridiculous. Goalie we're playing against totally in the zone. Grindy mess with our players trying to be cute all night.

At least we got a point though.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Arizona @ Edmonton (Game #16) [message #746211 is a reply to message #746200 ]
Mon, 04 November 2019 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Excellent first minute and a half, then disappeared for 30, and Koski had 2 of 3 that should have been stopped. Reffing....brutal. Given those circumstances, a point is a good outcome.

If you're a serious hockey team, you can't have the lapses in goal and from your skaters that we saw tonight.

Re: Review: Arizona @ Edmonton (Game #16) [message #746216 is a reply to message #746211 ]
Mon, 04 November 2019 22:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Kassian steals a point. Koskinen blows a shut out. Both goals against were putrid.

Reffing was atrocious, but that’s out of the players control. Arizona is still crappy TV.

Re: Review: Arizona @ Edmonton (Game #16) [message #746218 is a reply to message #746200 ]
Mon, 04 November 2019 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Dopey game.

I wondered how long Chaisson would last up top, that guy handles the puck like a hand grenade, barely touched the puck.
Klefbom is slowly being outclassed by Bear, I saw a lot of goofs by 77 tonight, just dopey half hearted efforts. Seeing him out there In OT makes me nervous every time.

1st goal on LD coughing up the puck, then Koski pulling a Talbot, first shot red light (FSRL)

I think a 38 year old goalie will become our de facto starter.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Arizona @ Edmonton (Game #16) [message #746224 is a reply to message #746200 ]
Mon, 04 November 2019 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

I hoped they could have put 2 points away tonight. I've already given up any hope for Wednesday. Thankfully Friday is the free Bingo square.

Re: Review: Arizona @ Edmonton (Game #16) [message #746233 is a reply to message #746224 ]
Tue, 05 November 2019 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I understand why no one in Arizona goes to games. If that is the type of hockey I had to watch 41+ times a year, I wouldn't go either. Clog up the middle, most of the game in the neutral zone, dump it down the ice, produce very little of exciting, quality chances, hope the opposition makes a mistake.

I thought the Oilers were sleepy in the first period and a bit but dominated the second half of the game. I thought Kuemper was excellent, the guy is a freaking wall. I thought Koskinen was good except for the first goal against. Persson had a rough, rough game and he got sat because of it.

I thought the refs were terrible. The Oilers didn't lose because of the refs but the refs helped the Yotes play their game. Constant hacks, wacks, hooks and interference. Commentators kept taking about how tough sledding it was, being a battle, etc. Well if the other team is allow to hook, slash, hold, take guys down, that's what the game becomes. 3rd period, Oilers are all over the Yotes, Leon was almost horse caller tackled to the ground. You could HEAR the slashes. Looked a lot like a 90's game where it was a battle royal to get an inch. That isn't fun hockey to watch.

It was nice to see the bottom 6 guy like Haas get the goal and it was a bottom 6 goal. Traffic in front, puck to the net, deflects in. At least they got a point.

[Updated on: Tue, 05 November 2019 08:37]

Re: Review: Arizona @ Edmonton (Game #16) [message #746234 is a reply to message #746233 ]
Tue, 05 November 2019 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 05 November 2019 08:34

I understand why no one in Arizona goes to games. If that is the type of hockey I had to watch 41+ times a year, I wouldn't go either. Clog up the middle, most of the game in the neutral zone, dump it down the ice, produce very little of exciting, quality chances, hope the opposition makes a mistake.

I thought the Oilers were sleepy in the first period and a bit but dominated the second half of the game. I thought Kuemper was excellent, the guy is a freaking wall. I thought Koskinen was good except for the first goal against. Persson had a rough, rough game and he got sat because of it.

I thought the refs were terrible. The Oilers didn't lose because of the refs but the refs helped the Yotes play their game. Constant hacks, wacks, hooks and interference. Commentators kept taking about how tough sledding it was, being a battle, etc. Well if the other team is allow to hook, slash, hold, take guys down, that's what the game becomes. 3rd period, Oilers are all over the Yotes, Leon was almost horse caller tackled to the ground. You could HEAR the slashes. Looked a lot like a 90's game where it was a battle royal to get an inch. That isn't fun hockey to watch.

It was nice to see the bottom 6 guy like Haas get the goal and it was a bottom 6 goal. Traffic in front, puck to the net, deflects in. At least they got a point.

It was actually a pretty fun time in Arizona. There were a LOT of opposing fans though. I just think it’s the commute. I’m staying downtown Phoenix and spent almost $100 USD on cabs to get to and from.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Arizona @ Edmonton (Game #16) [message #746235 is a reply to message #746234 ]
Tue, 05 November 2019 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Tue, 05 November 2019 10:21

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 05 November 2019 08:34

It was actually a pretty fun time in Arizona. There were a LOT of opposing fans though. I just think it’s the commute. I’m staying downtown Phoenix and spent almost $100 USD on cabs to get to and from.

I agree the set up in Arizona is great. My brother and I went down there a few years ago. We caught a Yotes game and then went to a Cardinals game. The area around the stadiums is great. You are in nice weather, bars and restaurants to go too but as you said, a pain in the ass to get too. We drove to the Yotes game and one of us didn't drink then spent like you did on a cab to get to the football game. My comment was more to the style of game they play for hockey. If it's a pain in the ass to get too the stadium plus you have to watch that clutch and grab, clog up the middle, suppress all offense style of hockey. Depending on where you live, it would be a long drive to get there plus you have watch not overly entertaining hockey.

Re: Review: Arizona @ Edmonton (Game #16) [message #746240 is a reply to message #746200 ]
Tue, 05 November 2019 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

That game was a grind and too hard for me to watch the whole thing. Guess you could blame Koski for that first goal but other than that he was pretty good. ( well, other than the second high glove goal ) They played well and according to their game plan and pulled out a win so give them credit. Glad to get the point and it was good to see Haas get the goal that got us the point. Our team looked flat footed but probably due to the Cyotes not giving them much room to skate or make plays.

Re: Review: Arizona @ Edmonton (Game #16) [message #746242 is a reply to message #746240 ]
Tue, 05 November 2019 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

overdue wrote on Tue, 05 November 2019 12:16

That game was a grind and too hard for me to watch the whole thing. Guess you could blame Koski for that first goal but other than that he was pretty good. ( well, other than the second high glove goal ) They played well and according to their game plan and pulled out a win so give them credit. Glad to get the point and it was good to see Haas get the goal that got us the point. Our team looked flat footed but probably due to the Cyotes not giving them much room to skate or make plays.

Yeah, you can blame Koski for 2, I think....the one under the blocker arm and the one glove high. We've seen that glove high go by him a lot since he arrived. I wonder if it's a vision thing.

Re: Review: Arizona @ Edmonton (Game #16) [message #746243 is a reply to message #746242 ]
Tue, 05 November 2019 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Tue, 05 November 2019 12:23

Yeah, you can blame Koski for 2, I think....the one under the blocker arm and the one glove high. We've seen that glove high go by him a lot since he arrived. I wonder if it's a vision thing.

I think everyone is being too critical. If your goalie only allows 2, not winning is on everybody else.

Re: Review: Arizona @ Edmonton (Game #16) [message #746245 is a reply to message #746242 ]
Tue, 05 November 2019 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

For the second goal. Soderstrom was allowed to walk into the Oilers zone, go right to the inner hash marks of the face off circle, be on his fore hard, fully load up a shot and he went top corner glove side. Based on what I could find, the dimension from goal line to the dot is 20 ft. I am not an NHL coach but I would assume if you put a white board in front of a coach and asked him to mark where the best possible place to shoot from to score a goal, where Soderstrom shot from is it. A little over 20 ft out with time to load up your shot, unless they completely miss their shot completely, I would hope NHLers would score from there pretty much every time no matter who is in goal. I don't think there is physically enough time for a goalie to react in time to a shot that close even if he has a good glove.

I am not trying to stick up for Koskinen because I know his glove hand isn't great but just because a team scores to the glove side on him doesn't mean it's a bad goal. I've seen teams score on Smith glove side with good shots and no one says a word but if ANY goal goes glove side on Koskinen, it's a crap goal.

Re: Review: Arizona @ Edmonton (Game #16) [message #746247 is a reply to message #746245 ]
Tue, 05 November 2019 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Quote:

I think everyone is being too critical. If your goalie only allows 2, not winning is on everybody else.

Quote:

I am not trying to stick up for Koskinen because I know his glove hand isn't great but just because a team scores to the glove side on him doesn't mean it's a bad goal. I've seen teams score on Smith glove side with good shots and no one says a word but if ANY goal goes glove side on Koskinen, it's a crap goal.

You both make good points. Koski has been very good for the most part and has made some good glove saves that don't get much attention. Only allowing two should get the job done but we couldn't score. (again)

Re: Review: Arizona @ Edmonton (Game #16) [message #746261 is a reply to message #746245 ]
Wed, 06 November 2019 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve  is currently offline Steve

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 05 November 2019 12:44

For the second goal. Soderstrom was allowed to walk into the Oilers zone, go right to the inner hash marks of the face off circle, be on his fore hard, fully load up a shot and he went top corner glove side. Based on what I could find, the dimension from goal line to the dot is 20 ft. I am not an NHL coach but I would assume if you put a white board in front of a coach and asked him to mark where the best possible place to shoot from to score a goal, where Soderstrom shot from is it. A little over 20 ft out with time to load up your shot, unless they completely miss their shot completely, I would hope NHLers would score from there pretty much every time no matter who is in goal. I don't think there is physically enough time for a goalie to react in time to a shot that close even if he has a good glove.

I have faced shots as a goalie from NHL shooters. If it's from the hash marks in, there isn't enough time to make a glove save (unless the puck is shot straight into the glove or you anticipate and start moving before the puck is off the stick). To combat this, it's on the goalie to cut down the angle so that the puck hits him on the shoulder rather than going in high glove. Koskinen's problem isn't so much his glove (though I admit it's not elite). His main problem is that his lateral movement isn't great, meaning he has to stay deeper in his net and can't cut down the angles as much.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Re: Review: Arizona @ Edmonton (Game #16) [message #746265 is a reply to message #746261 ]
Wed, 06 November 2019 11:38 Go to previous message

3 Cups

Steve wrote on Wed, 06 November 2019 10:38

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 05 November 2019 12:44

I have faced shots as a goalie from NHL shooters. If it's from the hash marks in, there isn't enough time to make a glove save (unless the puck is shot straight into the glove or you anticipate and start moving before the puck is off the stick). To combat this, it's on the goalie to cut down the angle so that the puck hits him on the shoulder rather than going in high glove. Koskinen's problem isn't so much his glove (though I admit it's not elite). His main problem is that his lateral movement isn't great, meaning he has to stay deeper in his net and can't cut down the angles as much.

On that second goal, I don't think he was out of position. From 20 ft, I don't think any goalie is stopping that shot unless the shooter hits his glove. The only hope Koskinen had was Soderstrom miss the net.

Previous Topic:GDT: St. Louis @ Edmonton (Game #17)
Next Topic:GDT: Arizona @ Edmonton (Game #16)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca