This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #11)Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #11) [message #745578]
Thu, 24 October 2019 21:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final (OT)

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   0%
Washington to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #11) [message #745586 is a reply to message #745578 ]
Thu, 24 October 2019 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

Good time for Drai and Connor to break their drought. That is all.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #11) [message #745588 is a reply to message #745586 ]
Thu, 24 October 2019 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Ragnarok73 wrote on Thu, 24 October 2019 21:49

Good time for Drai and Connor to break their drought. That is all.

Yep, big guns came to play in the third and took over the game. Good enough to overcome a dozen or so passengers that watched a good period along with the rest of us, just with better seats

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #11) [message #745587 is a reply to message #745578 ]
Thu, 24 October 2019 21:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Tippett must have ripped some new a-holes in the 2nd intermission. End result is still just the same guys as always getting points, but hey, it worked.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #11) [message #745591 is a reply to message #745587 ]
Thu, 24 October 2019 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 24 October 2019 21:51

Tippett must have ripped some new a-holes in the 2nd intermission. End result is still just the same guys as always getting points, but hey, it worked.

Four more goals for the first unit (with a little help from second line on #3) and not a sniff from the bottom six. Gagner had some chances though...3 shots. I can't remember much for dangerous chances for anyone else. A couple of cycles, but they get nothing to the slot, and they don't threaten.

Nice to see the big guys break out again though. They looked a little frustrated in the first couple periods.

Brandon Manning with just 8 minutes of icetime. Did he get hurt? Or did the coach decide he's seen enough? Big minutes for Klefbom, Nurse & Bear, and both McDavid and Draisaitl over 27 minutes tonight. That's crazy. Six Oilers forwards under 10 minutes of icetime.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #11) [message #745592 is a reply to message #745591 ]
Thu, 24 October 2019 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 24 October 2019 21:57

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 24 October 2019 21:51

Four more goals for the first unit (with a little help from second line on #3) and not a sniff from the bottom six. Gagner had some chances though...3 shots. I can't remember much for dangerous chances for anyone else. A couple of cycles, but they get nothing to the slot, and they don't threaten.

Nice to see the big guys break out again though. They looked a little frustrated in the first couple periods.

Brandon Manning with just 8 minutes of icetime. Did he get hurt? Or did the coach decide he's seen enough? Big minutes for Klefbom, Nurse & Bear, and both McDavid and Draisaitl over 27 minutes tonight. That's crazy. Six Oilers forwards under 10 minutes of icetime.

Manning and RUssell were both shelved half way through the 3rd. I think Tippett has caught on about which D on this team are the killers of any pace he wants his team to play with. Russell in particular has been infuriating the last few games, holding onto pucks forever, never able to make a decision with the puck. Just not a guy you can have in your top 4 if you want your team consistently putting pressure on.

[Updated on: Thu, 24 October 2019 22:03]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #11) [message #745630 is a reply to message #745591 ]
Fri, 25 October 2019 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Thu, 24 October 2019 20:57

Big minutes for Klefbom, Nurse & Bear, and both McDavid and Draisaitl over 27 minutes tonight. That's crazy. Six Oilers forwards under 10 minutes of icetime.

To put this in perspective a bit, Draisaitl is currently leading the league with 264 minutes played (I'm rounding for simplicity). McDavid is 2nd at 254, followed by Ovechkin at 252 and Seguin at 247. Problem is that Ovechkin and Seguin have played 12 games, while Drai and McDavid have only played 11!

Scheifele is the next highest forward that has played 11 games with 239 minutes. So Draisaitl has already played 25 minutes more than Scheifele (more than an extra games worth of minutes).

Project that over the full season and it's equivalent to more than 8 extra games for Draisaitl! And that's to the next highest forward not named McDavid, nevermind what an average 1st line player plays.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #11) [message #745631 is a reply to message #745630 ]
Fri, 25 October 2019 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Fri, 25 October 2019 10:52

Big minutes for Klefbom, Nurse & Bear, and both McDavid and Draisaitl over 27 minutes tonight. That's crazy. Six Oilers forwards under 10 minutes of icetime.

To put this in perspective a bit, Draisaitl is currently leading the league with 264 minutes played (I'm rounding for simplicity). McDavid is 2nd at 254, followed by Ovechkin at 252 and Seguin at 247. Problem is that Ovechkin and Seguin have played 12 games, while Drai and McDavid have only played 11!

Scheifele is the next highest forward that has played 11 games with 239 minutes. So Draisaitl has already played 25 minutes more than Scheifele (more than an extra games worth of minutes).

Project that over the full season and it's equivalent to more than 8 extra games for Draisaitl! And that's to the next highest forward not named McDavid, nevermind what an average 1st line player plays.

Drai's ice time should go down over time. There is no way he can keep that up. And he'll end up back where he was last year when he scored 50 :)

McDavid is basically the same as last year so far, with the bonus of his PK time being almost eliminated.

Tippett/Holland certainly need to figure out how to set themselves up so there is more trust in the depth players. Getting them even an extra 2 shifts a game would help a lot.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #11) [message #745632 is a reply to message #745630 ]
Fri, 25 October 2019 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Goose wrote on Fri, 25 October 2019 10:52

Are you predicting that Draisatl and/or McDavid will get injured due to being massively overplayed and that injury will derail the season because our early success is based entirely upon the performance of 2-4 players?

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #11) [message #745589 is a reply to message #745578 ]
Thu, 24 October 2019 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Epic 3rd after the entire team looked to be on life support for most of 2 periods and couldn't buy a call from either ref. 97 put his team on his back, Leon closed it out.

Huge win, it can't be overstated.

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #11) [message #745599 is a reply to message #745589 ]
Fri, 25 October 2019 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Thu, 24 October 2019 21:53

Epic 3rd after the entire team looked to be on life support for most of 2 periods and couldn't buy a call from either ref. 97 put his team on his back, Leon closed it out.

Huge win, it can't be overstated.

I'll give Chiasson props for his best game in awhile. He skated his ass off in the third and was the "chase" in the dump-and-chase that led to the tying goal. Hard work in the corner, good positional play, nice play getting the puck to Neal for the setup to Connor.

Kassian played hard too but can't seem to play his basic core game- I think he thinks he's "elite" now and has to show off.

Nurse bounced back from his worst game in years last game and put in a great effort- saved the OT wraparound that turned into the 3-on-1.

And the bottom 6....ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....how 'bout Connor and Leon eh?!?!

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #11) [message #745590 is a reply to message #745578 ]
Thu, 24 October 2019 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

That kind of game is a big confidence builder! Yes!!!!!!

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #11) [message #745593 is a reply to message #745578 ]
Thu, 24 October 2019 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

That’s twice this season we’ve scored with the goalie pulled... who are these Oilers? (Expectations tempered... but these early season points can go a long way to the dance which shall not be named)

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #11) [message #745594 is a reply to message #745578 ]
Thu, 24 October 2019 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
travgwhite  is currently offline travgwhite

No Cups

When we went down 3-1 I told my girl it was over. She said it wasnt. She told me to leave the room cause I stress them out. Guess I shouldn't watch anymore.

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #11) [message #745595 is a reply to message #745578 ]
Thu, 24 October 2019 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

How many games have we won without being behind?

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #11) [message #745596 is a reply to message #745595 ]
Thu, 24 October 2019 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

travgwhite wrote on Thu, 24 October 2019 22:15

Think 2. Philly and Detroit.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #11) [message #745597 is a reply to message #745596 ]
Thu, 24 October 2019 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 24 October 2019 22:17

travgwhite wrote on Thu, 24 October 2019 22:15

Think 2. Philly and Detroit.

So 2

I am thrilled we are off to this start. It isnt a good thing that we have to fight back in so many games.

[Updated on: Thu, 24 October 2019 22:40]

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #11) [message #745602 is a reply to message #745597 ]
Fri, 25 October 2019 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jerekybeef  is currently offline jerekybeef

No Cups

Brutal bottom 6. As the season grinds on, they will falter badly unless the bottom 6 can do anything positive besides warm the bench. Depth has been a huge factor for this team for years. Pretty dismal bunch aside from the top 2 lines. That’s Holland’s quest this year

"Make the Oilers great again" - Donny Tramp

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #11) [message #745616 is a reply to message #745602 ]
Fri, 25 October 2019 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

jerekybeef wrote on Fri, 25 October 2019 01:59

Brutal bottom 6. As the season grinds on, they will falter badly unless the bottom 6 can do anything positive besides warm the bench. Depth has been a huge factor for this team for years. Pretty dismal bunch aside from the top 2 lines. That’s Holland’s quest this year

Completely agree. The win was nice and how they did was just fantastic but that bottom 6 is a deep concern. I thought Gagner was good in his role for the night, and Chiasson looked like last year but beyond that, they got some issues.

One of 97 or 29 get hurt this team is in severe trouble.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #11) [message #745618 is a reply to message #745616 ]
Fri, 25 October 2019 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Fri, 25 October 2019 09:02

You better be knocking on wood right now!!!

I don't like to even think of that! I was a little worried about a couple of the big hits from Wilson last night - the one on Klefbom in particular. Half the roster is driving 100% of the results right now, so the margin of error for the team is extremely thin.

I'm about ready to see Marody, Benson and Yamamoto start getting their opportunities too if we don't start seeing AT LEAST chances generated by the bottom 6.

Same on defence - I'd rather see Lagesson, Jones or Bouchard get Manning's icetime. And I would be fine seeing Russell replaced too. His flip pass against Philly turned in to a highlight reel goal, but he just kept doing that last night, and in most instances, it just gave the puck away. That starfish routine was awful last night too, even though he got lucky with the desperation stick swing at the end.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #11) [message #745620 is a reply to message #745616 ]
Fri, 25 October 2019 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Your comment isn't wrong but name me a team in this league who can just roll along no problem when they lose a true star player? I would say there are a few teams like say a Nashville, maybe Vegas who don't have a true superstar, just a bunch of good players who might be OK if they lost one of their better players but there aren't very many.

Leafs lost Tavares and they have lost 2 in a row, are 5-4-2 so technically below .500 and they have more forward depth than the Oilers.

Pens lost Malkin. Treaded water for a bit. They are 6-5 and have lost 3 in a row.

Colorado just lost Rantanen. Not sure how long he will be out but it's week to week. They lost the game he went down. We will see how well they do without him.

[Updated on: Fri, 25 October 2019 09:23]

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #11) [message #745621 is a reply to message #745620 ]
Fri, 25 October 2019 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 25 October 2019 09:20

Your comment isn't wrong but name me a team in this league who can just roll along no problem when they lose a true star player? I would say there are a few teams like say a Nashville, maybe Vegas who don't have a true superstar, just a bunch of good players who might be OK if they lost one of their better players but there aren't very many.

Leafs lost Tavares and they have lost 2 in a row, are 5-4-2 so technically below .500 and they have more forward depth than the Oilers.

Pens lost Malkin. Treaded water for a bit. They are 6-5 and have lost 3 in a row.

Colorado just lost Rantanen. Not sure how long he will be out but it's week to week. They lost the game he went down. We will see how well they do without him.

I think the point is, no team relies on its stars as much as the Oilers do.

Most of the Cup winners and Cup finalists will have strong third lines, and fourth lines that AT LEAST chip in occasionally. The Blues had Steen on their fourth line last year - a pretty solid player.

The balance with the Oilers is so skewed, that if one of our pinnacle guys goes down, we lose a massive percentage of our offence and we need to fill 25 minutes a night of ice time. Rantanen, Tavares - those are big losses for their teams. But they aren't anything close to what it would be if the Oilers lost one of their stars.

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #11) [message #745622 is a reply to message #745621 ]
Fri, 25 October 2019 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Fri, 25 October 2019 09:30

Most of the Cup winners and Cup finalists will have strong third lines, and fourth lines that AT LEAST chip in occasionally. The Blues had Steen on their fourth line last year - a pretty solid player.

The balance with the Oilers is so skewed, that if one of our pinnacle guys goes down, we lose a massive percentage of our offence and we need to fill 25 minutes a night of ice time. Rantanen, Tavares - those are big losses for their teams. But they aren't anything close to what it would be if the Oilers lost one of their stars.

I think that is the key. Every team leans on its best players, it's logical. The issue is that the Oilers are not just leaning on McDavid and Draisaitl but are on pace for historical usage.
The other point is that the gap between the top and bottom is bigger on the Oilers than any other team. That is skewed a bit given the top two are both elite and most teams dont have that luxury.

There are teams every year that have star players hurt and can tread water without them. If the Oilers lost one of the big two I would guess they are a bottom 5 team in a hurry.

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #11) [message #745623 is a reply to message #745622 ]
Fri, 25 October 2019 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

PlusOne wrote on Fri, 25 October 2019 09:07

I think that is the key. Every team leans on its best players, it's logical. The issue is that the Oilers are not just leaning on McDavid and Draisaitl but are on pace for historical usage.
The other point is that the gap between the top and bottom is bigger on the Oilers than any other team. That is skewed a bit given the top two are both elite and most teams dont have that luxury.

There are teams every year that have star players hurt and can tread water without them. If the Oilers lost one of the big two I would guess they are a bottom 5 team in a hurry.

No question a big win last night. That was, imo, the Oilers first real test of the year, and they passed.

It's going to be fascinating to watch to see how long this team can continue to be successful getting absolutely zero from the bottom 6. Especially when you do have guys in the AHL (Yamamoto, Benson) that aren't new to the pro game and are putting up points.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #11) [message #745624 is a reply to message #745623 ]
Fri, 25 October 2019 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Goose wrote on Fri, 25 October 2019 10:26

No question a big win last night. That was, imo, the Oilers first real test of the year, and they passed.

It's going to be fascinating to watch to see how long this team can continue to be successful getting absolutely zero from the bottom 6. Especially when you do have guys in the AHL (Yamamoto, Benson) that aren't new to the pro game and are putting up points.

Yep, the thread got derailed back to the top 2 VS the rest of the forwards talk. Unfortunately, that will be a topic until that group is at least passable.

I agree with you on the AHL guys. Time to shake things up in the bottom 6/9. Try to find something that contributes.

In the end though they won another game and as your sig shows, the goal differential is looking good.

sustainability is the ever looming concern but for now I am enjoying the wins

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #11) [message #745625 is a reply to message #745623 ]
Fri, 25 October 2019 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I am interested in the same thing. The mess Chia left Holland was WAY more than 1 offseason. He gutted the depth. The guys Holland signed are 4th liners and thankfully he gave them 4th liner money and term. He didn't have the money to sign proper 3rd liners PLUS, add a top 6 forward, add a goalie, improve the defense. The guys he signed are stop gaps in the hopes they can keep them in it while hopefully more offensive guys like Benson and Yamo can get more development time. I expect to see at least one of them towards the end of November.

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #11) [message #745627 is a reply to message #745625 ]
Fri, 25 October 2019 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 25 October 2019 10:33

I am interested in the same thing. The mess Chia left Holland was WAY more than 1 offseason. He gutted the depth. The guys Holland signed are 4th liners and thankfully he gave them 4th liner money and term. He didn't have the money to sign proper 3rd liners PLUS, add a top 6 forward, add a goalie, improve the defense. The guys he signed are stop gaps in the hopes they can keep them in it while hopefully more offensive guys like Benson and Yamo can get more development time. I expect to see at least one of them towards the end of November.

I remain flabbergasted at how unproductive our bottom 6 is. We used to sign designated faceoff takers and face punchers in our bottom 6 and still would get the odd goal from them. How on earth has not a single guy in the bottom 6 even fluked out a goal 5v5 yet in 11 games? Especially against mostly non-playoff quality teams so far.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #11) [message #745646 is a reply to message #745627 ]
Fri, 25 October 2019 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 25 October 2019 10:39

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 25 October 2019 10:33

I remain flabbergasted at how unproductive our bottom 6 is. We used to sign designated faceoff takers and face punchers in our bottom 6 and still would get the odd goal from them. How on earth has not a single guy in the bottom 6 even fluked out a goal 5v5 yet in 11 games? Especially against mostly non-playoff quality teams so far.

I get frustrated for top 6 possession time in the offensive zone not finding it's way to the net enough....but by eye, the bottom 6 HAS improved in having possession in the offensive zone, but NOTHING goes to the net or the netfront. It's like the Laraque days where the guy could have the puck below the goal line in a corner for 15 or 20 seconds, but zero danger for the defenders.

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #11) [message #745626 is a reply to message #745621 ]
Fri, 25 October 2019 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

Adam nails the point of my post. Where close to 90-95% of your offense is tied up in 2 players to at least generate a chance you're in deep trouble. Our bottom 6 need to chip in at least 10% of our points and that's being modest.

It doesn't look good here. Granlund, Archibald, Chaisson, even Gagner needs to chip stuff in. They cannot be out there just to give the top line a rest every now and again.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #11) [message #745628 is a reply to message #745626 ]
Fri, 25 October 2019 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Fri, 25 October 2019 10:35

Adam nails the point of my post. Where close to 90-95% of your offense is tied up in 2 players to at least generate a chance you're in deep trouble. Our bottom 6 need to chip in at least 10% of our points and that's being modest.

It doesn't look good here. Granlund, Archibald, Chaisson, even Gagner needs to chip stuff in. They cannot be out there just to give the top line a rest every now and again.

Did you expect this team given where the idiot previous GM left it, to be any better depth wise? Chia gutted the depth. He traded a decent 3rd line center in Strome for a guy who can't play in the NHL. He traded a decent bottom 6 winger in Caggulia for a dman who probably at best and I might be high, plays 15 games a season for any team. Some teams none. The Oilers 3rd line should probably be:
Caggulia - Strome - whoever.

That wouldn't be a horrible 3rd line. All Chia had to do was NOTHING and his team would have been better off last season. Chia would have been better off just to trade Strome and Caggulia for picks. At least then the Oilers wouldn't have 3.15 in Gagner and 2.2 in Manning to deal with. I don't care who's the GM, you don't recover from trades that bad in 1 offseason.

With the amount of times people mention the lack of depth and leaning on McDavid and Leon over and over again. It's pretty much daily. It's almost like people are surprised. I get accused of being too positive and even I had my doubts about all these guys. I just hoped a couple would be able to put in 10 goals but didn't think they all would.

[Updated on: Fri, 25 October 2019 10:51]

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #11) [message #745629 is a reply to message #745628 ]
Fri, 25 October 2019 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 25 October 2019 10:45

Did you expect this team given where the idiot previous GM left it, to be any better depth wise? Chia gutted the depth. He traded a decent 3rd line center in Strome for a guy who can't play in the NHL. He traded a decent bottom 6 winger in Caggulia for a dman who probably at best and I might be high, plays 15 games a season for any team. Some teams none. The Oilers 3rd line should probably be:

That wouldn't be a horrible 3rd line. All Chia had to do was NOTHING and his team would have been better off last season. Chia would have been better off just to trade Strome and Caggulia for picks. At least then the Oilers wouldn't have 3.15 in Gagner and 2.2 in Manning to deal with. I don't care who's the GM, you don't recover from trades that bad in 1 offseason.

The lack of a 3rd C with any playmaking ability is probably where everything falls apart in the bottom 6. You have some guys that may be able to bang home 5-10 goals a season with the help of some bounces, but there is zero playmaking skill in the bottom 6 group to generate any chaos that could lead to those bounces happening. Gagner is probably the closest you have to that kind of player, but he'll forever be terrible defensively and I don't think Tippett trusts him to play 3C.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #11) [message #745634 is a reply to message #745629 ]
Fri, 25 October 2019 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 25 October 2019 10:51

The lack of a 3rd C with any playmaking ability is probably where everything falls apart in the bottom 6. You have some guys that may be able to bang home 5-10 goals a season with the help of some bounces, but there is zero playmaking skill in the bottom 6 group to generate any chaos that could lead to those bounces happening. Gagner is probably the closest you have to that kind of player, but he'll forever be terrible defensively and I don't think Tippett trusts him to play 3C.

I agree. They had that in Strome but Chia traded him for Spooner who can't play in the NHL. Supposedly even the coaching staff told Chia not to do it and he didn't listen.

I don't think Holland was going to get that guy this offseason. The list was WAY, WAY too long for him. Just not enough money. Gagner is making the money you pay your 3rd line center. I wonder if we see Holland make a move for one at some point. A guy like Pageau out of Ottawa. Ottawa loves him but he's a UFA so I wonder if they would look to get assets back.

[Updated on: Fri, 25 October 2019 11:17]

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #11) [message #745637 is a reply to message #745634 ]
Fri, 25 October 2019 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 25 October 2019 11:15

I agree. They had that in Strome but Chia traded him for Spooner who can't play in the NHL. Supposedly even the coaching staff told Chia not to do it and he didn't listen.

I don't think Holland was going to get that guy this offseason. The list was WAY, WAY too long for him. Just not enough money. Gagner is making the money you pay your 3rd line center. I wonder if we see Holland make a move for one at some point. A guy like Pageau out of Ottawa. Ottawa loves him but he's a UFA so I wonder if they would look to get assets back.

Brassard may have been a target, but not sure he would have helped much. I think we would have all kept Strome in hindsight now. Probably could have still picked up Gags this year super cheap after the Canucks bought him out too, hehe.

I'd definitely have time for Pageau at this point. The next step to bolster the bottom 6 is looking to be tossing some AHL kids in the deep end, which would be nice to avoid.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #11) [message #745642 is a reply to message #745637 ]
Fri, 25 October 2019 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 25 October 2019 11:20

Brassard may have been a target, but not sure he would have helped much. I think we would have all kept Strome in hindsight now. Probably could have still picked up Gags this year super cheap after the Canucks bought him out too, hehe.

I'd definitely have time for Pageau at this point. The next step to bolster the bottom 6 is looking to be tossing some AHL kids in the deep end, which would be nice to avoid.

Brassard has 2 pts in 9 games and is a -4 for the Islanders. I wonder if he would be any better on the Oilers?

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #11) [message #745643 is a reply to message #745642 ]
Fri, 25 October 2019 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 25 October 2019 11:44

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 25 October 2019 11:20

Brassard has 2 pts in 9 games and is a -4 for the Islanders. I wonder if he would be any better on the Oilers?

Seems he's gone off a cliff a bit, not at all the player he was a couple years ago. He used to be Matrix 1 level Keanu. Now he's Matrix Revolutions.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #11) [message #745645 is a reply to message #745628 ]
Fri, 25 October 2019 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

With the amount of times people mention the lack of depth and leaning on McDavid and Leon over and over again. It's pretty much daily. It's almost like people are surprised. I get accused of being too positive and even I had my doubts about all these guys. I just hoped a couple would be able to put in 10 goals but didn't think they all would.

I remember floating this before the season and you saying they couldn't possibly be worse than last year and that we were in a MUCH better position...and then again when Gagner got sent down, because you didn't think he could skate with NHLers, and thought the other bottom 6ers were a much better fit...

I do think there was likely more than could have been done this summer, but Holland saw this year a lost cause. It will be interesting to see how the Oilers respond to this surge - especially if it continues through November. If we are a contending team without significant contributions from the depth, well, first off, that just shows just HOW good our top players are, and secondly, at some point the management has to throw these guys a lifeline. I expect the first help comes from the minors, but there's a limit to what we have there. We don't have the third line center who can be a catalyst on the farm, and Holland will have to go out and get that guy - no matter what it takes.

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #11) [message #745648 is a reply to message #745645 ]
Fri, 25 October 2019 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 25 October 2019 12:00

I remember floating this before the season and you saying they couldn't possibly be worse than last year and that we were in a MUCH better position...and then again when Gagner got sent down, because you didn't think he could skate with NHLers, and thought the other bottom 6ers were a much better fit...

I do think there was likely more than could have been done this summer, but Holland saw this year a lost cause. It will be interesting to see how the Oilers respond to this surge - especially if it continues through November. If we are a contending team without significant contributions from the depth, well, first off, that just shows just HOW good our top players are, and secondly, at some point the management has to throw these guys a lifeline. I expect the first help comes from the minors, but there's a limit to what we have there. We don't have the third line center who can be a catalyst on the farm, and Holland will have to go out and get that guy - no matter what it takes.

I am pretty sure I never once said the Oilers bottom 6 was high end. All I said was I didn't think they would be as bad as they were as in record setting.

The Oilers had a guy in Rieder who set an NHL record for the amount of shots taken without a goal. I didn't at the time nor do I think they will now have a player break Rieders record.

I believe the Oilers got the lowest amount of goals from the bottom 6 in something like 30 or 40 yrs. I didn't at the time nor do I think they will now match that total and get the lowest amount of goals in 40 yrs.

Does the bottom 6 not scoring more concern me a little? Yes it does. We are 11 games in and personally if it was me, I would wait a little longer before I break out the old "I told you so's'. But if you want to beat me over the head with that prediction 11 games in to make yourself feel better, go ahead.

I think a change will happen soon if things don't improve. The Oilers had:
Archibald - 1 shot
Kharia - 0 shots
Sheahan - 1 shot
Russell - 0 shots
Granlund - 0 shots
Gagner - 3 shots.

You can't have 3 guys with no shots.

When it comes to Gagner. The coach sent him down to the minors and said specifically he was sent down because he doesn't play on the PK and they want more speed and guys who play on the PK in the line up in the bottom 6. So you want to call me out for me stating and agreeing with what the coach said, the guy in charge making MILLIONS of dollars to make those calls?

[Updated on: Fri, 25 October 2019 12:20]

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #11) [message #745598 is a reply to message #745578 ]
Thu, 24 October 2019 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

MVP! .... MVP! ....MVP! ....

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQvueVL7x2_z6J48UewKoFQHb9Rt5EHsG3ORXMPsIT7THIfO224Bw&s

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #11) [message #745611 is a reply to message #745598 ]
Fri, 25 October 2019 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 24 October 2019 23:21

MVP! .... MVP! ....MVP! ....

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQvueVL7x2_z6J48UewKoFQHb9Rt5EHsG3ORXMPsIT7THIfO224Bw&s

Now hold on a minute. We have to be sure he doesn't get injured AND the team makes the playoffs as those are the only two factors to be considered when handing out major individual awards.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #11) [message #745613 is a reply to message #745611 ]
Fri, 25 October 2019 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

3 Cups

The Oilers big boys looked pretty sleepy again for a good chunk of that game. I don't know what was said in the dressing room in the second intermission but holy cow, they came out firing in the 3rd. It was all Holtby could to keep them the Caps in it as he made A LOT of great saves in the 3rd plus the post bailed him out a few times but they just kept coming. Leon and McDavid played a lot last night especially in the 3rd but I can't blame the coach, those 2 were going big time and you have to ride that when they are like that.

Ethan Bear!! He lead the defense in ice time last night and he was GOOD and he was good against a really good team. My expectation for him before the season was he could maybe be a 3rd pairing guy who had a PP dimension. I get it's still early but he's literally found money for the Oilers. It makes me excited for other guys. I don't count Bouchard because he is highly touted and looks to be legit. But what can a guy like Lagesson be like? Everyone had Lagesson ahead of Bear. When will they play him over Manning? Manning played 9:51 last night.

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Gagner recalled - Haas sent to Bakersfield
Next Topic:GDT: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #11)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca