This day on March 29
None

Happy Birthday To: SMURDS, JRock71, Cpt Waffle, TexasOiler, Morgan99

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7)Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744937 is a reply to message #744934 ]
Thu, 17 October 2019 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 17 October 2019 14:26

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 17 October 2019 14:07

The record is absolutely relevant. They are 6-1. You don't do that without your entire team contributing in some way. I am not saying the bottom 6 is solved. They need to score more. That's obvious. But they aren't completely crap either. There needs to be adjustments clearly but they basically changed out almost their entire bottom 6, they have new coaches, new systems, new style of play. There is going to be growing pains.

I think what other people are saying here is that McDavid & Draisaitl have been so good that it masks the flaws in the lineup. Some hot goaltending and a scorching hot powerplay, likely at both playing at levels that are unsustainable, have also made the team look better than it is. The fact we've mostly played B-level teams or below also has helped greatly.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be excited about the 6-1 start. That's a really good thing for this team. But there are large parts of this team that aren't really contributing to the wins. The bottom six forwards have not been a factor at all. They're getting owned whenever they're on the ice, and that's a major concern.

Sticking our head in the sands about the concerns with this roster isn't really helpful. I really hope that the Oilers aren't feeling content because of the record, because anyone watching critically should see that there's some huge holes here that need addressing if this success is going to be anything besides fleeting.

I am not sticking my head in the sand. I recognize their flaws. There are areas in their game they need to improve big time if they want to get to the next level. Some of it is consistency problems, I think some of it is guys learning a new way to play and some of it is personnel. But they aren't a tire fire like they were in previous years. Last year, after 5 games, they would have been probably 2-2-1 at best. After the Chicago loss where they played OK, probably deserved a point but ran into a hot goalie. They would have come home and lost 6-3 or worse. All of a sudden they go from being .500 to being 2 games below and in a tailspin. Then followed it up with a crap game against Detroit and went into a 3 or 4 game losing streak. The goaltending would have been a problem. The PK a joke, the PP sputtering and the bottom 6 was crap.

But it's not the case. They aren't playing amazing but they are finding ways to win. Instead of finding ways to lose, they are finding ways to win. The coaches have things to work on to improve the overall game but they are winning games and its a hell of a lot easier to be hard on guys to button things up when you are winning than when you are in a losing streak getting their asses kicked.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744943 is a reply to message #744887 ]
Thu, 17 October 2019 17:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Besides E. Bear, the other guy i'm really surprised at how effective he is, is P. Russell, I thought he was done last year, and surprised Oilers qualified him. Tippet can judge talent, most vital ingredient of a coach or GM.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744946 is a reply to message #744943 ]
Thu, 17 October 2019 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

No Cups

Seattle kickin' themselves for letting Holland snag Tippett from them. Ronny Franchise aint chopped liver, for a former player GM maybe the best outside Stevie Y. But Tipp can coach.

I hear it said allot that the NHL is easier for certain players with high hockey IQ to play in due to the tighter systems, higher structure, guys being in the correct spot ect.

Bear must be one of those guys. He's gotta be protected in the upcoming expansion draft now!

Bob Marley and the (Hartford) Wailers.

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744950 is a reply to message #744946 ]
Thu, 17 October 2019 18:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

Xombie wrote on Thu, 17 October 2019 21:20

Seattle kickin' themselves for letting Holland snag Tippett from them. Ronny Franchise aint chopped liver, for a former player GM maybe the best outside Stevie Y. But Tipp can coach.

I hear it said allot that the NHL is easier for certain players with high hockey IQ to play in due to the tighter systems, higher structure, guys being in the correct spot ect.

Bear must be one of those guys. He's gotta be protected in the upcoming expansion draft now!

Good article about Bear on ON today. Talks about how he completely revamped his diet and attitude towards training and the results have been impressive.

https://oilersnation.com/2019/10/17/major-lifestyle-change-f or-edmonton-oilers-defenceman-ethan-bear/

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744953 is a reply to message #744950 ]
Thu, 17 October 2019 19:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Thu, 17 October 2019 18:34

Good article about Bear on ON today. Talks about how he completely revamped his diet and attitude towards training and the results have been impressive.

https://oilersnation.com/2019/10/17/major-lifestyle-change-f or-edmonton-oilers-defenceman-ethan-bear/

I've always had this thinking of players now needing to lean out and drop pounds in the new NHL. I even remember asking Gregor about this on ON in the comments section of an article about nutrition many years back and him answering about a balance of gaining weight and keeping your same quickness which I think is very tough to do. I felt that the Oilers stars like Hall and Eberle were less effective at their game as the seasons went on because they were putting on too much mass.

You watch Hall and Eberle's first NHL game and how quick and shifty they were, Eberle looks like a twig but there's no way he would pull off a goal like that a couple seasons later when he was a lot bulkier.

I see how players like Gaudreau didn't bulk up at all, why was there any reason to do so? The game is about speed and if you're easier to knock off your feet that's probably a better chance at a penalty. His teammate Sam Bennett's game from junior is totally ruined, he couldn't do a single chin up at the Draft Combine and since then he's put on a lot of muscle. Now he's not quick, he's a shade of his former self. Look at his highlights from Kingston he was a much quicker player.

This season I think there are so many players that just dropped weight instead of muscling up, working on their speed. Matthews looks a lot leaner, obviously Neal dropped a good 20 lbs. I think in the next few seasons we see more NHL'ers come into camp lighter rather than adding muscle.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744955 is a reply to message #744953 ]
Thu, 17 October 2019 20:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

WhoreableGuy wrote on Thu, 17 October 2019 19:22

I've always had this thinking of players now needing to lean out and drop pounds in the new NHL. I even remember asking Gregor about this on ON in the comments section of an article about nutrition many years back and him answering about a balance of gaining weight and keeping your same quickness which I think is very tough to do. I felt that the Oilers stars like Hall and Eberle were less effective at their game as the seasons went on because they were putting on too much mass.

You watch Hall and Eberle's first NHL game and how quick and shifty they were, Eberle looks like a twig but there's no way he would pull off a goal like that a couple seasons later when he was a lot bulkier.

I see how players like Gaudreau didn't bulk up at all, why was there any reason to do so? The game is about speed and if you're easier to knock off your feet that's probably a better chance at a penalty. His teammate Sam Bennett's game from junior is totally ruined, he couldn't do a single chin up at the Draft Combine and since then he's put on a lot of muscle. Now he's not quick, he's a shade of his former self. Look at his highlights from Kingston he was a much quicker player.

This season I think there are so many players that just dropped weight instead of muscling up, working on their speed. Matthews looks a lot leaner, obviously Neal dropped a good 20 lbs. I think in the next few seasons we see more NHL'ers come into camp lighter rather than adding muscle.

Interesting theory. I’d guess the truth is somewhere in the middle. Training properly to increase strength without sacrificing mobility. I know Luongo and Tom Brady both extended their careers because they would stretch for hours prior to a game. Probably some benefits for people in their prime years as well.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744958 is a reply to message #744955 ]
Thu, 17 October 2019 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 17 October 2019 20:46

Interesting theory. I’d guess the truth is somewhere in the middle. Training properly to increase strength without sacrificing mobility. I know Luongo and Tom Brady both extended their careers because they would stretch for hours prior to a game. Probably some benefits for people in their prime years as well.

Lucic got an assist tonight and was in the vicinity of another goal. Bulkiness still is a thing.

In truth, I’m a believer in overall fitness. Specific weight training is archaic. Specifically Lucic as an example. He looked even worse than previous years. If possible he’s lost a step.

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744959 is a reply to message #744958 ]
Thu, 17 October 2019 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

Are you serious?

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744960 is a reply to message #744958 ]
Thu, 17 October 2019 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

inverno76 wrote on Thu, 17 October 2019 21:07

Lucic got an assist tonight and was in the vicinity of another goal. Bulkiness still is a thing.

In truth, I’m a believer in overall fitness. Specific weight training is archaic. Specifically Lucic as an example. He looked even worse than previous years. If possible he’s lost a step.

That Red Wind defender was scared to take the hit and heard the Looch train coming through, gotta give credit where it's due. A shot that missed the Flames net and acted as a dump in so no icing which turned the d around. Possibly the only play left that Looch is still valuable on. Happens a few times a year maybe.

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744964 is a reply to message #744960 ]
Thu, 17 October 2019 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

I guess they'll have to update this site. (Not mine I saw this on HF)

http://www.gonestreaking.ca/

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744975 is a reply to message #744958 ]
Fri, 18 October 2019 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Thu, 17 October 2019 22:07

I fully expect Lucic to get 5-7 goals and have around 20 pts for the Flames.

I find myself watching a little more Flames hockey just because I like hearing the Flames broadcasters trying to justify Lucic's existence. They laughed at the Oilers when Oilers media did it. I watched part of the Flames game. I saw the play on his assist. He came "flying" into the corner and it was going to be a tie for who got the puck. The chicken ___ Wings defender basically stopped skating because Lucic might have had to touch him, gave him the puck and he was able to put it out front. It was a pathetic play by that Wings dman and not a play that will happen a lot. If I was the Wings coach, I would be zipping a strip off that dman. That can't happen.

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744981 is a reply to message #744975 ]
Fri, 18 October 2019 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 18 October 2019 09:17

I find myself watching a little more Flames hockey just because I like hearing the Flames broadcasters trying to justify Lucic's existence. They laughed at the Oilers when Oilers media did it. I watched part of the Flames game. I saw the play on his assist. He came "flying" into the corner and it was going to be a tie for who got the puck. The chicken ___ Wings defender basically stopped skating because Lucic might have had to touch him, gave him the puck and he was able to put it out front. It was a pathetic play by that Wings dman and not a play that will happen a lot. If I was the Wings coach, I would be zipping a strip off that dman. That can't happen.

I still don't think Lucic clears 5 goals this year. Maybe 15 points, 20 if lucky.

The way it's gone so far, he's going to have less points than Neal has goals, and maybe less shots too. And by the end of the year, most Flames fans will hate that he's on their team.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744984 is a reply to message #744981 ]
Fri, 18 October 2019 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 18 October 2019 10:18

I still don't think Lucic clears 5 goals this year. Maybe 15 points, 20 if lucky.

The way it's gone so far, he's going to have less points than Neal has goals, and maybe less shots too. And by the end of the year, most Flames fans will hate that he's on their team.

You could be right, maybe I was too generous for Lucic. I have went to Flamesnation a few times just to read some things and some of the fans are sure holding on to that 3rd round pick as a justification. "It's a deep draft". I will take a legit, real NHLer who will probably score 20 goals this year over a 3rd round draft pick who could easily never play in the league or take 5 years to get there to get rid of Lucic. It's rather comical what Flames media and fans are saying.

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744985 is a reply to message #744984 ]
Fri, 18 October 2019 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 18 October 2019 10:26

You could be right, maybe I was too generous for Lucic. I have went to Flamesnation a few times just to read some things and some of the fans are sure holding on to that 3rd round pick as a justification. "It's a deep draft". I will take a legit, real NHLer who will probably score 20 goals this year over a 3rd round draft pick who could easily never play in the league or take 5 years to get there to get rid of Lucic. It's rather comical what Flames media and fans are saying.

To be fair, with the Oilers luck, that third round pick is probably the next Johnny Gaudreau...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744987 is a reply to message #744985 ]
Fri, 18 October 2019 10:41 Go to previous message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 18 October 2019 10:36

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 18 October 2019 10:26

To be fair, with the Oilers luck, that third round pick is probably the next Johnny Gaudreau...

If that's the case, I am still OK with it. Getting rid of Lucic is HUGE for this team. On the ice is obvious but I also I think off the ice is just as big.

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744972 is a reply to message #744943 ]
Fri, 18 October 2019 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 17 October 2019 17:37

Besides E. Bear, the other guy i'm really surprised at how effective he is, is P. Russell, I thought he was done last year, and surprised Oilers qualified him. Tippet can judge talent, most vital ingredient of a coach or GM.

Funny, I haven't been that impressed with Russell. I'm curious what you're seeing with him. I'll watch for it tonight, but I've thought he's just been another of the nobodies on the bottom 6.

Re: Review: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7) [message #744976 is a reply to message #744972 ]
Fri, 18 October 2019 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 18 October 2019 07:55

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 17 October 2019 17:37

Funny, I haven't been that impressed with Russell. I'm curious what you're seeing with him. I'll watch for it tonight, but I've thought he's just been another of the nobodies on the bottom 6.

I didn't say impressed I said surprised. He's effective getting on the forecheck and can work a cycle, heavy on the stick, usually hangs on to the puck and doesn't cough it up very often ... which surprises me from where I viewed him, I didn't think he was worth an AHL contract.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #8)
Next Topic:GDT: Philadelphia @ Edmonton (Game #7)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca