This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #744651]
Mon, 14 October 2019 21:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
Chicago to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #744652 is a reply to message #744651 ]
Mon, 14 October 2019 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Put some clown shoes on that game. Hope the team can stop the bleeding quick after their first loss.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #744653 is a reply to message #744651 ]
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Ah well, can't win them all.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #744659 is a reply to message #744653 ]
Mon, 14 October 2019 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 14 October 2019 21:04

Ah well, can't win them all.

Fire Someone Already!

Good teams don't let one loss turn into two.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #744654 is a reply to message #744651 ]
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

Hopefully Tippett can use this game to remind the team that they need to play the entire 60 minutes...

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #744660 is a reply to message #744651 ]
Mon, 14 October 2019 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Give the Hawks credit, they played a high tempo game from what I saw of it, and were all over the Oilers. Lots of forced turn overs and hard for the team to get anything going. Crawford didn't have much to do at times. I only saw the first two periods but am assuming they got better late in the game.

[Updated on: Mon, 14 October 2019 22:47]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #744662 is a reply to message #744660 ]
Mon, 14 October 2019 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

overdue wrote on Mon, 14 October 2019 22:45

Give the Hawks credit, they played a high tempo game from what I saw of it, and were all over the Oilers. Lots of forced turn overs and hard for the team to get anything going. Crawford didn't have much to do at times. I only saw the first two periods but am assuming they got better late in the game.

Just think, we could have had DeBrincat instead of Benson, and Dylan Strome was available cheap last year...I thought both those guys looked pretty decent tonight.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #744663 is a reply to message #744662 ]
Tue, 15 October 2019 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

No Cups

Yeah undersized or not Da Cat shoulda been a sure pick here given the Erie connection.

Bob Marley and the (Hartford) Wailers.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #744666 is a reply to message #744663 ]
Tue, 15 October 2019 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Oilers has chances to put the game away early and didn't cash in. McDavid had a breakaway, Leon had a breakaway and didn't score. Kassian had some good looks. All 3 had multiple golden chances. Neal had other chances to score. Some bottom 6 guys had golden chances.

I thought Smith was pretty good but another goal against because he played the puck when maybe he shouldn't have on the second goal. In a super tight game, it cost them a point and going into 3-3, I would take the Oilers every time. I hope he's getting all of these missteps out of his system early.

Can't win them all and going 3-1 on a road trip is pretty good.

[Updated on: Tue, 15 October 2019 08:40]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #744671 is a reply to message #744666 ]
Tue, 15 October 2019 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

I don't want to worry anybody but our bottom 6 scoring rate extrapolates to be the lowest scoring bottom six in NHL history. The upside is there's no way this happens again next year.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #744678 is a reply to message #744671 ]
Tue, 15 October 2019 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Tue, 15 October 2019 08:48

I don't want to worry anybody but our bottom 6 scoring rate extrapolates to be the lowest scoring bottom six in NHL history. The upside is there's no way this happens again next year.

Concerning is that they're not even generating much for chances. The shot rates for the top couple lines are generally decent (although Nugent-Hopkins is way behind his career averages. He's got just 8 shots in 6 games - he's usually above 2 shots per game - he has hit a couple goalposts though).

After that though, there's not much happening:

Nygard 9 shots
Khaira 6 shots
Chiasson 6 shots (3 GP)
Granlund 5 shots
Sheahan 5 shots (4 GP)
Archibald 4 shots (3 GP)
Jurco 2 shots (5 GP)
P. Russell 2 shots (3 GP)
Haas 1 shots (4 GP)
Cave 0 shots (2 GP)

Of those guys Nygard & Chiasson both have played with Nuge & Neal, and unsurprising, they have the best rates of anyone. Only Nygard has a goal. Jurco has a couple assists, Haas has one assist...everyone else? Zilch.

These guys have to find a way to generate SOMETHING. If your bottom two lines are only generating 4-5 shots a night, they're going to be completely ineffective most games. It's great that we're getting quality penalty killing here, but there needs to be something more than that, because the bottom half the lineup is on the ice for 20-25 minutes a game. Eventually that's going to catch up to us.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #744682 is a reply to message #744678 ]
Tue, 15 October 2019 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 15 October 2019 09:52

Concerning is that they're not even generating much for chances. The shot rates for the top couple lines are generally decent (although Nugent-Hopkins is way behind his career averages. He's got just 8 shots in 6 games - he's usually above 2 shots per game - he has hit a couple goalposts though).

Nygard 9 shots
Khaira 6 shots
Chiasson 6 shots (3 GP)
Granlund 5 shots
Sheahan 5 shots (4 GP)
Archibald 4 shots (3 GP)
Jurco 2 shots (5 GP)
Haas 1 shots (4 GP)
Cave 0 shots (2 GP)

Of those guys Nygard & Chiasson both have played with Nuge & Neal, and unsurprising, they have the best rates of anyone. Only Nygard has a goal. Jurco has a couple assists, Haas has one assist...everyone else? Zilch.

These guys have to find a way to generate SOMETHING. If your bottom two lines are only generating 4-5 shots a night, they're going to be completely ineffective most games. It's great that we're getting quality penalty killing here, but there needs to be something more than that, because the bottom half the lineup is on the ice for 20-25 minutes a game. Eventually that's going to catch up to us.

It’s weird. It looks like they’re controlling the play and cycling the puck down low, but the puck never works it’s way to the point or to shooting areas. Need to do something with that puck possession.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #744683 is a reply to message #744682 ]
Tue, 15 October 2019 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Tue, 15 October 2019 10:50

Adam wrote on Tue, 15 October 2019 09:52

Nygard 9 shots
Khaira 6 shots
Chiasson 6 shots (3 GP)
Granlund 5 shots
Sheahan 5 shots (4 GP)
Archibald 4 shots (3 GP)
Jurco 2 shots (5 GP)
Haas 1 shots (4 GP)
Cave 0 shots (2 GP)

It’s weird. It looks like they’re controlling the play and cycling the puck down low, but the puck never works it’s way to the point or to shooting areas. Need to do something with that puck possession.

Kinda like last year unfortunately. And the longer this goes on, the more disheartened the bottom 6 will get, and the more the coach will lean on the top 6, wearing them down. Need to find a way to get something out of the bottom 6 ASAP. Moving some players around between the NHL/AHL probably needs to be considered soon.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #744685 is a reply to message #744683 ]
Tue, 15 October 2019 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

It's still early but I definitely do want to see the bottom 6 guys popping in the odd goal soon. What I do find a bit encouraging is as what was mentioned, the bottom 6 seems to generate chances, zone time and they seem to be able to continue the momentum of the top line. Too often, the McDavid line would create chances and momentum and then as soon as another line was out there, it was all gone. More times than not, we see the McDavid line do their thing, then the rest of the lines continue that on. So hopefully the chances go in soon.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #744699 is a reply to message #744685 ]
Tue, 15 October 2019 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 15 October 2019 11:08

It's still early but I definitely do want to see the bottom 6 guys popping in the odd goal soon. What I do find a bit encouraging is as what was mentioned, the bottom 6 seems to generate chances, zone time and they seem to be able to continue the momentum of the top line. Too often, the McDavid line would create chances and momentum and then as soon as another line was out there, it was all gone. More times than not, we see the McDavid line do their thing, then the rest of the lines continue that on. So hopefully the chances go in soon.

One change that they should look into making for the game against Philly: sit Khaira in favor of Haas. Jujhar had an absolute stinker of a game last night.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #744700 is a reply to message #744699 ]
Tue, 15 October 2019 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Tue, 15 October 2019 16:02

One change that they should look into making for the game against Philly: sit Khaira in favor of Haas. Jujhar had an absolute stinker of a game last night.

Worth noting, Haas hasn't done much other than one good play that resulted in a goal versus LA. One shot in four games means he's barely moving the needle. He's also struggled to get the coach's trust. Only 31 minutes of icetime in those four games, so an average of 7.5 minutes a night.

Khaira did come in to defend a teammate, so I doubt he's the odd man out. I could see Granlund or Archibald sitting.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #744701 is a reply to message #744699 ]
Tue, 15 October 2019 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I while not spectacular, I thought Haas was showing signs of steadily getting better. He brings good speed, right handed center and I thought he showed some skill. But I don't blame the team for sitting him. If I was the coach, I wouldn't be sold on playing the same bottom 6 guys every game unless they are playing well. I have thought that Sheahan has been real good. I have actually liked Nygard's game. His speed is such and asset, he creates turn overs and he's more physical than I expected. The only thing that needs work is his board play a bit. But he's been solid. I haven't mind Chiasson's game. Other than that.

Khaira has been decent on the PK but has done nothing else.
Archibald see what I said for Khaira. He's only been in 3 games so maybe he gets a pass for now.
Granlund has been good on the PK but hasn't done much else.

I know the PK is important and was a reason the Oilers lost games last year. So they have to be a bit careful with who they sit but just being good on the PK can't be the only reason you play.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #744705 is a reply to message #744701 ]
Tue, 15 October 2019 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 15 October 2019 16:13

I while not spectacular, I thought Haas was showing signs of steadily getting better. He brings good speed, right handed center and I thought he showed some skill. But I don't blame the team for sitting him. If I was the coach, I wouldn't be sold on playing the same bottom 6 guys every game unless they are playing well. I have thought that Sheahan has been real good. I have actually liked Nygard's game. His speed is such and asset, he creates turn overs and he's more physical than I expected. The only thing that needs work is his board play a bit. But he's been solid. I haven't mind Chiasson's game. Other than that.

Khaira has been decent on the PK but has done nothing else.
Archibald see what I said for Khaira. He's only been in 3 games so maybe he gets a pass for now.
Granlund has been good on the PK but hasn't done much else.

I know the PK is important and was a reason the Oilers lost games last year. So they have to be a bit careful with who they sit but just being good on the PK can't be the only reason you play.

I don't mind non-productive bottom 6 guys not getting comfortable. Sit a couple guys and tell them why.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #744723 is a reply to message #744705 ]
Tue, 15 October 2019 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Guys guys I've figured it out! Just put McDavid into the bottom six! He can center both the third and fourth line! fishing

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #744777 is a reply to message #744723 ]
Wed, 16 October 2019 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
McDavid97  is currently offline McDavid97

No Cups

Was one of the first games I watched all of. Played decent for the first 20 then Chicago took over. If we play like that we wouldn't be beating many teams. Hopefully this is just a one off as our schedule will get harder since we had an easy one so far, playing non playoff teams mostly.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #744831 is a reply to message #744723 ]
Wed, 16 October 2019 18:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Xombie wrote on Tue, 15 October 2019 20:05

Guys guys I've figured it out! Just put McDavid into the bottom six! He can center both the third and fourth line! fishing

This has merit.

Why? Because he likely could. Those shifts are quick and his conditioning and drive is off the charts. He would likely end up hating hockey though.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #744834 is a reply to message #744831 ]
Wed, 16 October 2019 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Wed, 16 October 2019 18:17

This has merit.

Why? Because he likely could. Those shifts are quick and his conditioning and drive is off the charts. He would likely end up hating hockey though.

They're basically already doing this, just instead of just McDavid, it's the whole line going. Right now, the TOI leaders for forwards are Draisaitl with 25:08, then McDavid with 23:10 and Barkov at 22:25, Zibanejad at 21:51, and Jack Eichel at 21:34.

That's a huge gap from even the other league leaders and probably unsustainable.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #744836 is a reply to message #744834 ]
Wed, 16 October 2019 18:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 16 October 2019 18:28

This has merit.

They're basically already doing this, just instead of just McDavid, it's the whole line going. Right now, the TOI leaders for forwards are Draisaitl with 25:08, then McDavid with 23:10 and Barkov at 22:25, Zibanejad at 21:51, and Jack Eichel at 21:34.

That's a huge gap from even the other league leaders and probably unsustainable.

Agreed, it is unsustainable and also makes it more likely that one of them will sustain and injury at some point. That would be devastating. Bottom six are contributing in other ways but need to start putting some pucks in the net to lighten the load for the top six.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #744837 is a reply to message #744834 ]
Wed, 16 October 2019 19:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 16 October 2019 17:28

This has merit.

John Cooper will sometimes dress 7 D and 11 F in Tampa Bay. Maybe that is something the Oilers should explore. It sneaks Kucherov onto another line. They could split that extra shift with both Draisaitl and McDavid. A 7th defenseman might be more useful than the 12th forward with our weak bottom six.

[Updated on: Wed, 16 October 2019 20:16]

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #744941 is a reply to message #744837 ]
Thu, 17 October 2019 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Quote:

John Cooper will sometimes dress 7 D and 11 F in Tampa Bay. Maybe that is something the Oilers should explore. It sneaks Kucherov onto another line. They could split that extra shift with both Draisaitl and McDavid. A 7th defenseman might be more useful than the 12th forward with our weak bottom six

You're hired !

[Updated on: Thu, 17 October 2019 15:39]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #745017 is a reply to message #744651 ]
Fri, 18 October 2019 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Someone took the time to do some Gretzky lip reading from this game:

https://twitter.com/Ginohard_/status/1184876805120872448?s=2 0

4k watch for 1.5k? Is there anything the great one can't do?

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #745035 is a reply to message #745017 ]
Fri, 18 October 2019 18:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 18 October 2019 14:29

Someone took the time to do some Gretzky lip reading from this game:

https://twitter.com/Ginohard_/status/1184876805120872448?s=2 0

4k watch for 1.5k? Is there anything the great one can't do?

If you listen to Spittin Chiclets, hockey players are really into nice watches, Paul Bissonnette buys and sells them I think.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6) [message #745046 is a reply to message #745017 ]
Fri, 18 October 2019 20:17 Go to previous message

No Cups

Generational bargaining right there.

Also reminds me of a DMX lyric: "You acting all G braggin' 'bout how much ya watch cost...how much ya watch cost? You about ta get yo watch lost."

Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #6)
Next Topic:Pregame: Detroit @ Edmonton (Game #8)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca