This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743792]
Wed, 02 October 2019 22:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   0%
Vancouver to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743797 is a reply to message #743792 ]
Wed, 02 October 2019 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Nice to see the new HC get that first victory out of the way quickly.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743800 is a reply to message #743797 ]
Wed, 02 October 2019 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 22:38

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/theadvocate.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/1/22/1226ad46-f3a7-11e6-bd83-e38d4eda42e4/58a494c1c165c.image.gif

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743809 is a reply to message #743800 ]
Wed, 02 October 2019 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 22:40

Picture

do you really hate the Oilers so much that you want them moved to Baton Rouge in a year they win the cup???

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743811 is a reply to message #743809 ]
Wed, 02 October 2019 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 22:50

Adam wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 22:40

Picture

do you really hate the Oilers so much that you want them moved to Baton Rouge in a year they win the cup???

HAHAHA...

If someone can make me a gif of flamingos parading down Jasper Avenue, I'll definitely use that instead.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743802 is a reply to message #743797 ]
Wed, 02 October 2019 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Benning second on the team in points with 2 assists tonight...

Gaetan Haas' family came a long way to watch him ride the pine. 2 minutes tonight. Nygard just a little more at 9 minutes. Archibald with the bad turnover. Khaira with a rough night.

Maybe Gagner still could have a role here?

[Updated on: Wed, 02 October 2019 22:44]

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743804 is a reply to message #743802 ]
Wed, 02 October 2019 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 21:41

Gaetan Haas' family came a long way to watch him ride the pine. 2 minutes tonight. Nygard just a little more at 9 minutes. Archibald with the bad turnover. Khaira with a rough night.

I think Gagner will be back pretty soon. We have all these bubble guys that aren't going to do anything for us even defensively, won't be keeping them up very long in the Holland era.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743807 is a reply to message #743804 ]
Wed, 02 October 2019 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 22:47

I think Gagner will be back pretty soon. We have all these bubble guys that aren't going to do anything for us even defensively, won't be keeping them up very long in the Holland era.

I definitely take Gags over what Khaira was showing. Although Jurco probably just bumps Khaira out.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743824 is a reply to message #743807 ]
Thu, 03 October 2019 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 21:49

nullterm wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 22:47

I definitely take Gags over what Khaira was showing. Although Jurco probably just bumps Khaira out.

I've been a Khaira fan, but he looked AWFUL. Slow feet, accomplished nothing, his work on the PK was weak, general lack of interest, Tippet won't be putting up with that type of effort for long. Guy hasn't progressed, just stalled out, disappointed.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743808 is a reply to message #743804 ]
Wed, 02 October 2019 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

No Cups

nullterm wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 21:47

Also, they're probably less willing to go to Bakersfield. Might as well give them a look in the show for 10-15 games, then if they don't work out punt them back to Europe. I think Nygard looks alright, he needs some time, but I could see him panning out.

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743815 is a reply to message #743808 ]
Wed, 02 October 2019 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

jds308 wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 22:50

nullterm wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 21:47

Also, they're probably less willing to go to Bakersfield. Might as well give them a look in the show for 10-15 games, then if they don't work out punt them back to Europe. I think Nygard looks alright, he needs some time, but I could see him panning out.

I don't think most Europeans run home after 10 games if they get sent to the AHL. They're trying their hand in the best league in the world. I'd expect these guys would all accept a demotion, and hope that they can be back up later in the season rather than leaving and not getting a second shot.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743805 is a reply to message #743802 ]
Wed, 02 October 2019 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 22:41

Benning was good. Klef and Bear were good.

Nurse and Larsson were getting picked apart all night long. Not even sure it was against Pettersson. Against Horvat and Miller. So many pucks moving to the slot to open guys.

Hope there is some magic button the coaches can push to make that pair good, but it has never been yet for multiple years of trying it now.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743810 is a reply to message #743805 ]
Wed, 02 October 2019 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 22:47

Nurse and Larsson were getting picked apart all night long. Not even sure it was against Pettersson. Against Horvat and Miller. So many pucks moving to the slot to open guys.

Hope there is some magic button the coaches can push to make that pair good, but it has never been yet for multiple years of trying it now.

I noticed it was Nurse/Russell late. That didn't look great either.

I'd like to see more guys who can move the puck on our defence. It seems to work better when we have that kind of player out there.

26 minutes for Draisaitl tonight...kind of funny to see the coach reverting to the same plan as the last two guys - play the wheels off the stars, and limit the time for the scrubs. Maybe that's the only option with the personnel they have.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743812 is a reply to message #743810 ]
Wed, 02 October 2019 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 22:52

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 22:47

I noticed it was Nurse/Russell late. That didn't look great either.

I'd like to see more guys who can move the puck on our defence. It seems to work better when we have that kind of player out there.

26 minutes for Draisaitl tonight...kind of funny to see the coach reverting to the same plan as the last two guys - play the wheels off the stars, and limit the time for the scrubs. Maybe that's the only option with the personnel they have.

The scrubs were pretty scrubby tonight. If that doesn't change, ugh.

At least the PK was perfect. I will say the fact the PP expired combined with how we only had a 3 on 5 in the zone because McDavid was fishing for his helmet cancels out.

[Updated on: Wed, 02 October 2019 22:55]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743798 is a reply to message #743792 ]
Wed, 02 October 2019 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Alrightly. Chances this season isn't a complete disaster raised from 0% to 2%.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743801 is a reply to message #743798 ]
Wed, 02 October 2019 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 22:39

Alrightly. Chances this season isn't a complete disaster raised from 0% to 2%.

Connor shook off the rust at the right time.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743803 is a reply to message #743792 ]
Wed, 02 October 2019 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

That wasn't pretty, but a win over the Nucks is always great no matter how it's done. I'll take that.

Leon is a beast.

Connor was pretty quiet until he wasn't.

Neal looked a lot like Lucic.

JJ needs to sit next game.

Mike Smith was great, and will need to play like that every night for the Oilers to have a shot, unless they can get better defensively somehow.

I really don't like the #60 as a jersey number. They should ban it.

Biggest suprise for me tonight: I don't hate the Canucks as much as I used to. They're actually kind of fun to watch, and not as douchey as they used to be. They can still suck it though.

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743806 is a reply to message #743803 ]
Wed, 02 October 2019 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

jds308 wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 21:45

He's not a ton faster, but seems like he's much smarter about how to stay in the play. I'm keeping my expectations in check for him. So far I'm pleased.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743814 is a reply to message #743806 ]
Wed, 02 October 2019 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

nullterm wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 21:49

He's not a ton faster, but seems like he's much smarter about how to stay in the play. I'm keeping my expectations in check for him. So far I'm pleased.

Totally agree. There were a couple plays that just died with him which reminded me of you know who, but I'm keeping an open mind. Conner seemed rusty until his goal, not making a lot of plays for Neal to finish. We'll see how Neal does once Conner is Connering all game.

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743816 is a reply to message #743814 ]
Wed, 02 October 2019 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

jds308 wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 22:54

nullterm wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 21:49

Totally agree. There were a couple plays that just died with him which reminded me of you know who, but I'm keeping an open mind. Conner seemed rusty until his goal, not making a lot of plays for Neal to finish. We'll see how Neal does once Conner is Connering all game.

I didn't see Neal trying to go end to end instead of deferring to better players, or trying to chop the puck in to pieces with ugly stickhandling, so he's already a step up on Lucic. One nice chance on a feed from Nugent-Hopkins too.

It's early. I still believe that Oilers fans are going to hate that contract eventually too, but we should enjoy the sheer fact he's not Milan Lucic for a while yet.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743813 is a reply to message #743792 ]
Wed, 02 October 2019 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ziltoid  is currently offline ziltoid

No Cups

Drai: 26:34 TOI
McDavid: 21:54 TOI
Nuge: 21:43 TOI

Haas: 2:11 TOI
Nygard: 9:23 TOI (-1:02 spent on the PP)
Chiasson: 10:41 TOI (-2:57 spent on the PP)

1/4 of our FWs can't play 10mins at evens, while the other 1/4 plays over 1/3 of the game... not good.

[Updated on: Wed, 02 October 2019 22:55]

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743817 is a reply to message #743813 ]
Wed, 02 October 2019 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

ziltoid wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 22:53

1/4 of our FWs can't play 10mins at evens, while the other 1/4 plays over 1/3 of the game... not good.

Did I miss some terrible thing Haas did? Couldn't have been worse than Khaira who got 12 minutes of EV ice time for some reason.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743818 is a reply to message #743817 ]
Wed, 02 October 2019 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 23:02

Did I miss some terrible thing Haas did? Couldn't have been worse than Khaira who got 12 minutes of EV ice time for some reason.

Stats line tells very little. He had one hit and one takeaway and nothing else. That's probably only three shifts. He was definitely on for at least one second period shift - I remember trying to figure out who #91 was on a play in the Canucks zone.

It's too bad that his family came all this way and he barely was allowed to touch the ice.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743819 is a reply to message #743818 ]
Wed, 02 October 2019 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 23:05

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 02 October 2019 23:02

Stats line tells very little. He had one hit and one takeaway and nothing else. That's probably only three shifts. He was definitely on for at least one second period shift - I remember trying to figure out who #91 was on a play in the Canucks zone.

It's too bad that his family came all this way and he barely was allowed to touch the ice.

Maybe Haas start the game in a really good mood and invited Tippett to meet his family after the game.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743820 is a reply to message #743813 ]
Wed, 02 October 2019 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Tippett did offer up an explaination for Drai's ice time. Lack of C's that can win a faceoff with Sheahan out. He needed Drai taking more draws, and felt it was OK because of his energy level int he game and the 2 day break.

Time will tell if we keep rolling our top guys into the ground.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743821 is a reply to message #743792 ]
Wed, 02 October 2019 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

not mine:

https://i.imgur.com/prRfmyz.gif

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743822 is a reply to message #743821 ]
Wed, 02 October 2019 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

I’m really excited we’ve locked our backup goalie for two more years. Smith looked solid.

Drai and Kassian looked great. Like, really great.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743825 is a reply to message #743792 ]
Thu, 03 October 2019 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Enjoy it while it lasts.

Oilers goalie appearing, in a good way, on the NHL stats page

http://www.nhl.com/stats/

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743827 is a reply to message #743825 ]
Thu, 03 October 2019 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

How does RDOF feel about our bottom 6 being on pace for 0 goals this season?

Goalie good

Drai/McD/Kassian good

It's the Canucks though so not a great measuring stick.

It's nice to cheer against the team with the empty net once in a while. I'll take it.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743826 is a reply to message #743792 ]
Thu, 03 October 2019 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looch  is currently offline Looch

No Cups

-Ethan Bear looked fairly seasoned by the way he skated and positioned himself last night, though I would say he had an overall quiet night.

-McDavid definitely had rust to his game. He passed the puck right to a Canucks defender on his first shift and couldn't seem to find holes in the Canucks defense as he brought the puck past the neutral zone. He was flat out useless on the PP in the first 2 periods....but, as expected, he woke up in the 3rd and was flying around the ice as per usual.

-Everyone and their dog knew Mike Smith was our #1 guy when we signed him. Tippett threw in the better goaltender rather than trying to appease management by giving playing time to an overrated goalie in Koskinen to ease the pain of his ugly contract.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743828 is a reply to message #743826 ]
Thu, 03 October 2019 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

Ethan Bear is fast AF. I didn't think he was always in the right spot, but it sort of didn't matter, because he made up for it with speed. I think he's probably the fastest Oiler, at least the fastest D-man.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743831 is a reply to message #743792 ]
Thu, 03 October 2019 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Always nice to beat the Canucks.

Looks like the same problems as last year. Players on the top line score all the goals. They get excessive minutes. We get badly outshot by 11. If the team keeps playing like this, we won't win much.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743832 is a reply to message #743831 ]
Thu, 03 October 2019 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Also Matt Benning leading the league in plus/minus

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743891 is a reply to message #743832 ]
Thu, 03 October 2019 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Leon looked absolutely dominant. He was unbelievable. Easily should have had a couple more goals and a few guys missed on some set ups.

Kassian was right there with him. He was fantastic.

McDavid to me looked tentative. Definitely looked rusty as he was fumbling pucks all night. But the GWG was awesome.

Smith was very good.

Benning was good, shockingly.

Bear was great.

Klef looked good.

Nuge was meh to me.

I thought Nygard got better as the game went on.

Kharia and Archibald weren't good. Khaira was really bad.

I didn't mind Neal's game.

Granlund was good on the PK, quite otherwise.

Cave wins some draws but that's all he does.

I thought Nurse and Larsson weren't good but then I found out Larsson had a broken bone in his leg so that would play a part.

Haas barely played so hard to say.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743933 is a reply to message #743792 ]
Fri, 04 October 2019 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

I thought Smith had a heck of a game. He handled the puck expertly and was really please how he looked. I just got worried every time he sprawled fearing a groin pull.

How fast is Nygard?? Number 10 right? Just flew!

It was a fun game to watch!

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743935 is a reply to message #743933 ]
Fri, 04 October 2019 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Fri, 04 October 2019 09:43

I thought Smith had a heck of a game. He handled the puck expertly and was really please how he looked. I just got worried every time he sprawled fearing a groin pull.

With the D we have, he really was extremely useful back there playing the puck. There were snaps from media of Koskinen working on playing the puck too :) Suits him since the glove hand needs to be nice and low to grip the stick.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #743954 is a reply to message #743935 ]
Fri, 04 October 2019 13:49 Go to previous message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 04 October 2019 08:44

Rocksteady wrote on Fri, 04 October 2019 09:43

With the D we have, he really was extremely useful back there playing the puck. There were snaps from media of Koskinen working on playing the puck too :) Suits him since the glove hand needs to be nice and low to grip the stick.

GOLD!

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Previous Topic:Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2)
Next Topic:Adam Larsson on LTIR
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca