This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Sekera bought out...Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Sekera bought out... [message #739597]
Sun, 30 June 2019 10:23 Go to next message
sinfulchimp306  is currently offline sinfulchimp306

No Cups

Kinda out of left field 2.5 cap hit according to cap friendly.

Formerly gagnerisgod.
PLAY LABAMBA BABY

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Sekera bought out... [message #739598 is a reply to message #739597 ]
Sun, 30 June 2019 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
messier11  is currently offline messier11

No Cups

I was hoping they could trade him and retain salary, I’m pretty sure that is the more financially responsible way of ditching a player, I can never understand why teams jump right to a buy out.

Re: Sekera bought out... [message #739608 is a reply to message #739598 ]
Sun, 30 June 2019 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Burgeoboy  is currently offline Burgeoboy

No Cups

messier11 wrote on Sun, 30 June 2019 13:55

I was hoping they could trade him and retain salary, I’m pretty sure that is the more financially responsible way of ditching a player, I can never understand why teams jump right to a buy out.

They waited till the last day before free agency opens, I am not sure they jumped right to a buy out. I am sure they tried to trade him and retain salary , but couldn’t . If me and you both see that as the better option, surely Holland thought of it if it to.

Question now is what do they do with the cap space? That will determine for me if this buy out was a good move or not .

Re: Sekera bought out... [message #739599 is a reply to message #739597 ]
Sun, 30 June 2019 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

sinfulchimp306 wrote on Sun, 30 June 2019 10:23

Thought Sek was playing pretty well to finish the year. Looked good at the worlds too. Hope they tried to trade him with 2-3M retained to avoid those extra buyout cap hit years.

SUcks...probably the #3 or #4 guy I would have liked to see given the boot off this roster to save cap space. Probably stuck with Lucic and Russell then if we had to go here.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Sekera bought out... [message #739600 is a reply to message #739599 ]
Sun, 30 June 2019 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

Holland's first big mistake as Oiler GM....hope it's the last.

Re: Sekera bought out... [message #739601 is a reply to message #739600 ]
Sun, 30 June 2019 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
scotiaoiler  is currently offline scotiaoiler

No Cups

Not a fan of this myself. Was going to be healthy for first time in 2 years. He was out best defenseman before getting hurt. Still is out best puckmover when healthy. Lots of money being paid for nothing now on cap strapped team.

Re: Sekera bought out... [message #739602 is a reply to message #739597 ]
Sun, 30 June 2019 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Prediction: Sekera signs somewhere for more than 50% of his current salary.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Sekera bought out... [message #739604 is a reply to message #739602 ]
Sun, 30 June 2019 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Sun, 30 June 2019 10:49

Prediction: Sekera signs somewhere for more than 50% of his current salary.

I agree. I sure hope it isn't with a Pacific Division team. Unless Holland has a very brilliant move up his sleeve, this move can come back and haunt him horribly.

As much as I like the direction the Oilers' defense is heading, I still see a need for a veteran presence, especially from a guy like Sekera who can actually move the puck out of the defending zone. Nurse will be coming off his bridge contract soon, and will be getting a huge raise. Klefbom is pretty good, but so fragile. I like Adam Larsson, but he seems to have become inconsistent and perhaps has reached the peak of his performance. The kids in Bakersfield show a lot of promise, but rushing them to the NHL is way too risky.

Re: Sekera bought out... [message #739680 is a reply to message #739602 ]
Mon, 01 July 2019 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Goes to Dallas for 1 year at 1.5 m . So if we retained 4 m this year and 5.5 next year , we could have traded him to Dallas for a 7th rounder maybe ? Huge mistake by Holland fire him !!!

[Updated on: Mon, 01 July 2019 09:16]

Re: Sekera bought out... [message #739682 is a reply to message #739680 ]
Mon, 01 July 2019 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

Burgeoboy wrote on Mon, 01 July 2019 09:10

Goes to Dallas for 1 year at 1.5 m . So if we retained 4 m this year and 5.5 next year , we could have trading him to Dallas for a 7th rounder maybe ? Huge mistake by Holland fire him !!!

Yeah, its clear the market was hesitant about Sekera. Nice gamble by Dallas though.

I'm more surprised they couldn't find a team to trade Kris Russell to. I think he has more trade value. Maybe the still will.

Re: Sekera bought out... [message #739687 is a reply to message #739682 ]
Mon, 01 July 2019 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Mon, 01 July 2019 09:14

Goes to Dallas for 1 year at 1.5 m . So if we retained 4 m this year and 5.5 next year , we could have trading him to Dallas for a 7th rounder maybe ? Huge mistake by Holland fire him !!!

Yeah, its clear the market was hesitant about Sekera. Nice gamble by Dallas though.

I'm more surprised they couldn't find a team to trade Kris Russell to. I think he has more trade value. Maybe the still will.

Wonder if there is something medically not right here that the Oilers were privy to, and Sek now has to show to anyone he was looking for a deal from. Just taking whatever he can get now, and Dallas seems to just want old guys all of a sudden. Only 500k gamble since they could send him to the A to same 1M.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Sekera bought out... [message #739686 is a reply to message #739680 ]
Mon, 01 July 2019 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Goes to Dallas for 1 year at 1.5 m . So if we retained 4 m this year and 5.5 next year , we could have traded him to Dallas for a 7th rounder maybe ? Huge mistake by Holland fire him !!!

Totally agree. There was no other possible solution but a buyout. Sure people say it’s a good signing by Dallas. Sure the team played better when he got back from his injury. Sure the cap hit is only $750k less than if we’d traded him and retained 50%. We are in win now mode and we need every penny of cap space available!

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Sekera bought out... [message #739693 is a reply to message #739680 ]
Mon, 01 July 2019 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ziltoid  is currently offline ziltoid

No Cups

I believe the most you can retain is 50%, so why take a guy at 2.75MM when you can get him for cheaper afters he's bought out... plus you save an asset.

Re: Sekera bought out... [message #739696 is a reply to message #739693 ]
Mon, 01 July 2019 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

ziltoid wrote on Mon, 01 July 2019 14:50

I believe the most you can retain is 50%, so why take a guy at 2.75MM when you can get him for cheaper afters he's bought out... plus you save an asset.

Exactly, but yet some people here thought Holland made a mistake by not trading him and retaining salary, which clearly teams weren’t willing to do. I know you can only retain is 50%, my point was even if we could retain more, teams wouldn't have be lining up , the market for Sekera just isn’t there, as his signing shows. No one would give him more the 1.5/2 mill For one year, so how was Holland suppose to make that trade happen at 2.75 for 2 years.

Re: Sekera bought out... [message #739697 is a reply to message #739696 ]
Mon, 01 July 2019 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Burgeoboy wrote on Mon, 01 July 2019 11:29

ziltoid wrote on Mon, 01 July 2019 14:50

Exactly, but yet some people here thought Holland made a mistake by not trading him and retaining salary, which clearly teams weren’t willing to do. I know you can only retain is 50%, my point was even if we could retain more, teams wouldn't have be lining up , the market for Sekera just isn’t there, as his signing shows. No one would give him more the 1.5/2 mill For one year, so how was Holland suppose to make that trade happen at 2.75 for 2 years.

Think the comment from most is that we hoped Holland at least tried to move him with 50% retained. Chia would buy guys out on a whim, or because he would have felt bad demoting them to save 100% of their cap hit (like Gryba who signed somewhere else and was immediately demoted anyways). Chia bought out Pouliot and then sat on 6M of unused cap space for an entire season.

Based on what Sek signed for, I think it's safe to assume he has some health issues that the OIlers would have had to disclose as part of trying to trade him, making it impossible. He is not expected to be anything like the player we all hoped he would be again. So I guess that is that, we had to dump him, and Dallas is taking a 500k risk to have him on as a depth guy and if they are lucky he has a miraculous turnaround.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Sekera bought out... [message #739603 is a reply to message #739597 ]
Sun, 30 June 2019 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

PuckPedia @PuckPedia
After buying out Sekera ($2.5M Cap Hit - $3M Savings), the #Oilers have $12.4M in Cap Space w/ 16 (9F/6D/1G)

RFA's: Khaira, Puljujarvi
UFA's: Chiasson, Rattie, Rieder, Petrovic, Gravel, Stolarz

Assumes Manning buried in AHL
Have $5.31M in Dead Cap Hit

https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/1145364675753725954/1XFgIDxH?format=png&name=800x419

5.31M being spent on nothing this year :( Unlikely we can get rid of that Manning contract.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Sekera bought out... [message #739605 is a reply to message #739597 ]
Sun, 30 June 2019 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Not a fan of this move. Does the $3M help them become a Cup contender this year or next? Doubtful. But in years 3 and 4 that $1.5M might make a difference. If the Oilers next move is to sign Chiasson to $3M deal, I'm officially over the Holland era.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Sekera bought out... [message #739606 is a reply to message #739597 ]
Sun, 30 June 2019 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

Fire Holland.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Sekera bought out... [message #739607 is a reply to message #739597 ]
Sun, 30 June 2019 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Tough one to figure given his comeback but maybe after shopping him, no one was interested in taking on that contract because of the risk of future injury. Bit of a gamble to trade for him I would think. I liked him and wish they could have kept him.

Re: Sekera bought out... [message #739611 is a reply to message #739607 ]
Sun, 30 June 2019 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

What in the F? Like what in the actual F kind of a move is this? He was still an actual NHLer. I don’t get this and I don’t like it one bit.

Re: Sekera bought out... [message #739640 is a reply to message #739611 ]
Sun, 30 June 2019 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

Mike wrote on Sun, 30 June 2019 11:34

What in the F? Like what in the actual F kind of a move is this? He was still an actual NHLer. I don’t get this and I don’t like it one bit.

You basically stole what I was going write as my post.

Holland is literally turfing his best chance at a “most improved player”, with the upside of being THE TEAM’S best defender!

First move: F-, you Holland.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Sekera bought out... [message #739609 is a reply to message #739597 ]
Sun, 30 June 2019 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Good move. Yes, Rej was an NHL’er but when he he been healthy of late?

His confidence, and his game as a whole, has been a shell of its former self since his run in with Getzlaf back in 2016.

Assume a trade partner could be found.

People cast stones pretty quick in this market, let’s wait and see what is done with the cap space created. Creates space for a cheaper D to move in while spending some money to fix the wing.

Good move, Kenny. Good. Move.

Bring on the hate.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Sekera bought out... [message #739612 is a reply to message #739597 ]
Sun, 30 June 2019 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Thoughts on the Sekera buyout:

- Before the injuries, I thought he was the Oilers best defenseman. He was worth every penny. After the injuries, I had little faith in his ability to play a Top-4 role. His contract then became a problem for third pairing guy. Both he and Russell (5.5 and 4.0) are making too much for that role, especially with Jones, Bear, and other knocking at the door.

- I do think some team will get him on a good deal and it is a player that *could* elevate and be a bargain. But there's huge question marks, especially at 5.5.

- I think he likely is better than Kris Russell. They should still try to move Kris Russell as he also makes too much for 3rd pairing.

- They simply can't move Darnell Nurse now. They absolutely should be on the hunt to find Nurse a RH partner who can move the puck.

- I think there is some validity to the idea of questions about why they didn't retain salary to trade him. I guess it just depends on the market out there. Neither of these contracts is appealing to me if I'm an opposing GM. And I wouldn't have wanted the Oilers to send too much sweetener back in any deal. If there was a deal to be made retaining instead of buyout, that probably would have been better. Or flipping this heavy contact for a winger with a heavy contract. I don't know what there was available.

- The way this buyout is structured is likely more helpful than harmful... certainly more than Lucic's. Russell's buyout cap hit of 0.9 this season, 3.5 next season, and 0.9 each season after (opening up 3.1, 0.5, -0.9, -0.9); is that better than 2.5, 2.5, 1.5, 1.5 for Sekera (opening up 3.0, 3.0, -1.5, -1.5)?

- I don't like buyouts, but I think I at least understand this. Holland needs some cap to improve this team and to do so quickly; Chia left him next to none. I'll hold off judgement on this deal in isolation until I see what Holland does with the money he freed up. If they can add a better defensemen, some legit Top-6 forwards, or a real 3C, the Oilers may walk away better off.

Re: Sekera bought out... [message #739613 is a reply to message #739612 ]
Sun, 30 June 2019 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Sun, 30 June 2019 12:08

- I don't like buyouts, but I think I at least understand this. Holland needs some cap to improve this team and to do so quickly; Chia left him next to none. I'll hold off judgement on this deal in isolation until I see what Holland does with the money he freed up. If they can add a better defensemen, some legit Top-6 forwards, or a real 3C, the Oilers may walk away better off.

This. This. This. Thank you.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Sekera bought out... [message #739614 is a reply to message #739613 ]
Sun, 30 June 2019 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
steve.kreys  is currently offline steve.kreys

No Cups

Big picture thing here for me

1) Saves money that allows us to spend elsewhere
2) WE have a back log of young D coming and they need somewhere to play.

Re: Sekera bought out... [message #739616 is a reply to message #739597 ]
Sun, 30 June 2019 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Not ideal, but it all depends who they spend the money on, and how one of the new D replacements manage in replacing Sekera, like C. Jones or Persson. If the guy is a star, and the cap is spent on a productive 3C, or winger, Holland's a genius, if not .. he'll get well deserved criticism.

I'm sure they tried shopping Sekera at 50% salary retention, no buyers, main reason probably being is Sekera's injury history, age, and term of remaining contract, even at 50%.
Teams avoiding term these days.

We'll see who they get with that cap money, and there could still be some trades as well, maybe Russel or Benning ..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Sekera bought out... [message #739617 is a reply to message #739597 ]
Sun, 30 June 2019 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

This move is an autonomous pile of garbage. The D was more or less set for the year. Unless there is a great d-man coming in, there is no good reason for this move.

Anyone want to bet Sekera has a good year somewhere else?

Re: Sekera bought out... [message #739618 is a reply to message #739617 ]
Sun, 30 June 2019 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Magnum wrote on Sun, 30 June 2019 12:56

This move is an autonomous pile of garbage. The D was more or less set for the year. Unless there is a great d-man coming in, there is no good reason for this move.

Anyone want to bet Sekera has a good year somewhere else?

I’d wager he’ll have an average, underwhelming, year.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Sekera bought out... [message #739620 is a reply to message #739618 ]
Sun, 30 June 2019 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Loved him when he was healthy and I was hoping he’d rebound into the his former self this year. Hate buyouts but the tire fire Chiarelli left behind needed some of the deck chairs tossed out to make room for new blood.

Re: Sekera bought out... [message #739621 is a reply to message #739620 ]
Sun, 30 June 2019 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

This was a big mistake. He was playing well. Even if he's just on the 3rd pair he helps us. Now we're back to depending on rookies which has always blown up in our face.

Our D always seemed more calm with him back there. I truly don't understand this move.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Sekera bought out... [message #739622 is a reply to message #739621 ]
Sun, 30 June 2019 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

nullterm wrote on Sun, 30 June 2019 13:18

This was a big mistake. He was playing well. Even if he's just on the 3rd pair he helps us. Now we're back to depending on rookies which has always blown up in our face.

I will say I think the difference here is that these rookies have been properly developed and after several years of pro hockey, and tastes of the NHL, look ready for full-time work. And we actually will break them in on the third pairing with sheltered minutes as opposed to expecting them to carry the team.

I wouldn't mind seeing Russell go also, and a RHD (Stralman?) brought in to play with Nurse. I just don't think 5.5 and 4.0 is a wise spend on the third pairing.

Re: Sekera bought out... [message #739726 is a reply to message #739621 ]
Mon, 01 July 2019 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Sekera signed with Dallas for 1 yr at 1.5 mill. There is his worth. No no one was trading for Sekera with 2 yrs even if the Oilers retained 50%. Unfortunate but had to be done in my opinion. I have said it many times, money was one thing but they needed to create roster spots if there was to be changes made.

Re: Sekera bought out... [message #739734 is a reply to message #739726 ]
Mon, 01 July 2019 18:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 01 July 2019 15:42

Sekera signed with Dallas for 1 yr at 1.5 mill. There is his worth. No no one was trading for Sekera with 2 yrs even if the Oilers retained 50%. Unfortunate but had to be done in my opinion. I have said it many times, money was one thing but they needed to create roster spots if there was to be changes made.

This is such a false narrative. Teams take bad contracts all the time. You sweeten the deal with a draft pick. Or you don’t buy him out. But doing things just for the sake of doing things is an oiler tradition.

Re: Sekera bought out... [message #739735 is a reply to message #739734 ]
Mon, 01 July 2019 19:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Iamheretoday  is currently offline Iamheretoday

No Cups

I think the point of the buyout was the flexibility it provides. If there were a team to trade with I am sure they would have. As there were no takers, just cause we want to trade does not mean they have to take them, see Lucic. The flexibility gained hopes the door for trades, which is what I think the main focus has been. We were never in the running for big ticket free agents, so I am happy no silly mistakes were made.

Re: Sekera bought out... [message #739747 is a reply to message #739735 ]
Mon, 01 July 2019 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Iamheretoday wrote on Mon, 01 July 2019 19:22

I think the point of the buyout was the flexibility it provides. If there were a team to trade with I am sure they would have. As there were no takers, just cause we want to trade does not mean they have to take them, see Lucic. The flexibility gained hopes the door for trades, which is what I think the main focus has been. We were never in the running for big ticket free agents, so I am happy no silly mistakes were made.

We'll see what happens. I'm skeptical we're going to see a lot more changes this summer, which would make this similar to the Eberle trade/Pouliot buyout of a couple summers ago where we cleared room without actually needing or using it.

It doesn't make me comfortable at all to have the GM say today that the buyout is to clear room for young players. Haven't we learned yet to force young players to earn their spot on the team and take it from veterans? Why do we insist on always making space for guys before it's clear if they're ready to take it?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Sekera bought out... [message #739750 is a reply to message #739747 ]
Mon, 01 July 2019 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Iamheretoday  is currently offline Iamheretoday

No Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 01 July 2019 21:23

We'll see what happens. I'm skeptical we're going to see a lot more changes this summer, which would make this similar to the Eberle trade/Pouliot buyout of a couple summers ago where we cleared room without actually needing or using it.

It doesn't make me comfortable at all to have the GM say today that the buyout is to clear room for young players. Haven't we learned yet to force young players to earn their spot on the team and take it from veterans? Why do we insist on always making space for guys before it's clear if they're ready to take it?

I think the fact we have 5 or 6 young defence men for what was 1 now 2 spots, might also play a big part. The dice have been cast, now we watch to see what comes next

Re: Sekera bought out... [message #739754 is a reply to message #739750 ]
Mon, 01 July 2019 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Iamheretoday wrote on Mon, 01 July 2019 21:46

I think the fact we have 5 or 6 young defence men for what was 1 now 2 spots, might also play a big part. The dice have been cast, now we watch to see what comes next

Problem is that there's none of those 5 or 6 guys who are definitely NHL ready. They're banking on Jones or Bear making the jump this year, and that's far from a certainty - and if they don't make it it we don't have much of a safety net.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Sekera bought out... [message #739759 is a reply to message #739754 ]
Tue, 02 July 2019 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 01 July 2019 22:30

Problem is that there's none of those 5 or 6 guys who are definitely NHL ready. They're banking on Jones or Bear making the jump this year, and that's far from a certainty - and if they don't make it it we don't have much of a safety net.

I think I'm comfortable with Jones. He played some Top-4 minutes and looked okay, at least initially; if they can shelter him better and play him on the third pairing, he should be able to make the jump. I think this is less "wild hopes" than a lot of the time when they bank on rookies (often fresh out of junior with little seasoning).

What I don't like is the talk of Samarukov or Bouchard on the team next year. To me that feels very different than Caleb Jones.

Re: Sekera bought out... [message #739760 is a reply to message #739759 ]
Tue, 02 July 2019 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Tue, 02 July 2019 00:05

I think I'm comfortable with Jones. He played some Top-4 minutes and looked okay, at least initially; if they can shelter him better and play him on the third pairing, he should be able to make the jump. I think this is less "wild hopes" than a lot of the time when they bank on rookies (often fresh out of junior with little seasoning).

What I don't like is the talk of Samarukov or Bouchard on the team next year. To me that feels very different than Caleb Jones.

They’re also banking on Russell being a top four d-man. What in God’s name, makes them think he’s capable of that? More than Sekera?!

Re: Sekera bought out... [message #739761 is a reply to message #739760 ]
Tue, 02 July 2019 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

No Cups

Magnum wrote on Tue, 02 July 2019 00:11

mightyreasoner wrote on Tue, 02 July 2019 00:05

They’re also banking on Russell being a top four d-man. What in God’s name, makes them think he’s capable of that? More than Sekera?!

Yeah, that's more concerning for me. I don't think either Sekera or Russell are Top-4 right now. That's an addition that has been missing for literally years, and the Oilers seem unwilling to address.

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Oilers sign Gaetan Haas to ELC
Next Topic:Chiasson re-signs with Oilers
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca