This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip BrobergPages (5): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #739289 is a reply to message #739192 ]
Sat, 22 June 2019 19:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

I had a low opinion of the the pick at the time, but I have come around. After watching this year's playoffs its obvious how important BIG defensemen with ELITE skating are to winning NHL teams. This kid could be a home run. He just turned 18, was referred to as the best skater in this years draft with exception of Hughes, great mobility, a D-man that can carry the puck out of trouble instead of ringing it off the boards and turning it over, he's big and heavy, and he aspires to play physical, another vital ingredient. The defensive in game positioning and "hockey IQ" will come... D. Manson should help out there once he gets to Bakersfield.

Oilers have some good D prospects, but no Oiler D-man has Broberg's skating ability, except for D. Nurse.

This is the type of player you need to build a team around.

I like what Dutch was thinking here.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #739291 is a reply to message #739289 ]
Sat, 22 June 2019 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 22 June 2019 19:17

I had a low opinion of the the pick at the time, but I have come around. After watching this year's playoffs its obvious how important BIG defensemen with ELITE skating are to winning NHL teams. This kid could be a home run. He just turned 18, was referred to as the best skater in this years draft with exception of Hughes, great mobility, a D-man that can carry the puck out of trouble instead of ringing it off the boards and turning it over, he's big and heavy, and he aspires to play physical, another vital ingredient. The defensive in game positioning and "hockey IQ" will come... D. Manson should help out there once he gets to Bakersfield.

Oilers have some good D prospects, but no Oiler D-man has Broberg's skating ability, except for D. Nurse.

The problem is that like most defensive picks, Broberg won't be fully ready for evaluation for at least 3-4 more years assuming that the Oil do the right thing and bring him along slowly. They need help now at forward and Zegras could have given them that help.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #739292 is a reply to message #739291 ]
Sat, 22 June 2019 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Sat, 22 June 2019 21:26

The problem is that like most defensive picks, Broberg won't be fully ready for evaluation for at least 3-4 more years assuming that the Oil do the right thing and bring him along slowly. They need help now at forward and Zegras could have given them that help.

I got back and forth on this point because organizational needs change, so I'm in favour of BPA no matter what. Problem is, most people feel that was Zegras. This just reeks of Oilers thinking they are the smartest people in the room; and Holland's interview after only fanned those flames. If Broberg was the BPA, then it was the right choice, I think. But maybe only the Oilers believed that to be the case.

In any case, I'm on their starting 12 for wing next year, so if they don't want to see that, they better get busy adding some Top-6 guys. I would think the addition of Bouchard and Broberg likely make Jones, Samarukov, and Bear trading chips to go out and get some of those wingers. Certainly, Russell and Benning are likely to he in play too.

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #739293 is a reply to message #739291 ]
Sat, 22 June 2019 21:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ziltoid  is currently offline ziltoid

No Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Sat, 22 June 2019 21:26

An 18 year old rookie is not going to fix what's wrong with this team's FW group. Drai at 18 still needed another year in Jr., and I doubt Zegras could step into our line-up tomorrow and be a 50+ point man without riding shotgun with McDavid (if at all).

I have no idea who will be the better pick in 5 years, but credit to Holland for not trying to fix our current problems by shoving another 18-19 year old into the line-up.

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #739301 is a reply to message #739293 ]
Sun, 23 June 2019 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vagabond  is currently offline vagabond

No Cups

We needed a forward

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #739305 is a reply to message #739293 ]
Sun, 23 June 2019 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

ziltoid wrote on Sat, 22 June 2019 21:51

An 18 year old rookie is not going to fix what's wrong with this team's FW group. Drai at 18 still needed another year in Jr., and I doubt Zegras could step into our line-up tomorrow and be a 50+ point man without riding shotgun with McDavid (if at all).

I have no idea who will be the better pick in 5 years, but credit to Holland for not trying to fix our current problems by shoving another 18-19 year old into the line-up.

No one said Zegras was ready to step in immediately, but at least the window would be shorter for him as a forward to show if he is a solution. With Broberg, we're looking well down the road unless he turns out to have been hiding some prodigious hockey sense.

The Oil need help sooner to turn into a good team, not down the road when Connor's contract will be closer to expiring assuming that his patience hasn't worn out before then.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #739339 is a reply to message #739192 ]
Mon, 24 June 2019 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

I have no opinion on the pick in general. Anyone who has an overly strong opinion at this point is likely just full of it and regurgitating someone elses opinion that they have adopted as their own.
Anyone mad at his position given what the Oilers need is an idiot. The Oilers have failed repeatedly at trying to plug current roster problems with new draft picks.

It isnt like they went off the board to a guy ranked 98th with the 8th pick.

I have never seen him play live, watched a couple youtube clips. The only even REMOTELY proper opinion is a buddy of mine who is a scout. He told me that if Broberg played in NA last season he might have been ranked top 5.
He also told me that the rankings can be a fun rule of thumb but not to believe everything you read. Many of those lists are compiled by people that have never seen 75% of those players play more than a couple of games. Simply no time for one guy to watch them all.

At a look at other reports and such he seems like a good prospect. I like that he was seen as a strong skater, if not one of the best in the draft.
If he does pan out you can never have too many good players back there so a I'm fine with them skipping wingers and even centers.

In his interviews he speaks English just fine, clearly a huge benefit.

All said, I dont get too into a new draft pick anymore. It just sets me up for disappointment in a few years when he is either;
- rushed/poorly developed then traded
- tore apart by the media at first sign of a setback then traded
- develops into a perfectly fine player but spends his entire career compared with the inevitable better player that picked somewhere after him, regardless of how far below he was drafted/ranked

I just have zero faith in the team to draft, develop and manage it's young players until it proves me wrong.

#OilBashers

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

httpRe: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #739874 is a reply to message #739192 ]
Thu, 04 July 2019 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Daftmonk  is currently offline Daftmonk

No Cups

https://www.tsn.ca/edmoton-oilers-sign-first-round-pick-d-ph ilip-broberg-to-entry-level-contract-1.1332936

More a formality but Broberg signs his ELC.

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." — Bush, Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004

Re: httpRe: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #739891 is a reply to message #739874 ]
Fri, 05 July 2019 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I know there is some value in him playing pro hockey in Sweden because he would get to play against men but I would like to see him play in Hamilton. If he's in Sweden being that they are a pro team, there is no guarantee he will play a lot. They want to win games so they will play the guys who give them the best chance to win. They aren't going to worry about going through the ups and downs of a young player and developing him for another team. If he goes to Hamilton, he will most likely be one of their better players so he will play a ton in all situations. He would also have the year to get accustom to North American style of hockey and ice size.

Re: httpRe: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #739904 is a reply to message #739891 ]
Fri, 05 July 2019 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 05 July 2019 08:27

I know there is some value in him playing pro hockey in Sweden because he would get to play against men but I would like to see him play in Hamilton. If he's in Sweden being that they are a pro team, there is no guarantee he will play a lot. They want to win games so they will play the guys who give them the best chance to win. They aren't going to worry about going through the ups and downs of a young player and developing him for another team. If he goes to Hamilton, he will most likely be one of their better players so he will play a ton in all situations. He would also have the year to get accustom to North American style of hockey and ice size.

Hamilton = Bakersfield, right? I'd probably agree. Bro's english is top notch! The killer B's! Bro and Bouch! Rippin up the AHL!

Bob Marley and the (Hartford) Wailers.

Re: httpRe: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #739906 is a reply to message #739904 ]
Fri, 05 July 2019 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Hamilton is in the CHL who own his rights. Holland has come out and said it's either Sweden or Hamilton. If he plays in Sweden, this coming season is the last then he is coming over.

If I am the Oilers for this coming season, I want this guy playing high 20's or 30 mins a night while being on the PP and on the PK. He would do that in major junior, I doubt that happens in Sweden. They are a pro team and I don't see a pro team playing an 18 yr old kid who's still learning the game on all your special teams and playing big minutes especially considering they would know he's gone after 1 season. Unless he is superior to every dman you have which I would doubt, there would be no incentive to give this kid all the premium opportunities and mins so he can leave your team in a year. Chances are, he plays on their 3rd pair, no special teams, playing 13-14 sheltered mins.

In the CHL you can watch him develop more easily and you could talk to him frequently and make sure he's working on what he needs to work on. Another advantage is the head coach for Hamilton is Steve Staios who has ties to the Oilers and was a decent NHL defenseman himself. So he would be able to steer him in the right direction and get him to work on the things he would need to in order to succeed in the NHL. Plus it's the CHL, the NHL probably as a bit more influence on teams. In Sweden, it's a lot harder to see him, their league is a pro league independent of the NHL so they have their own agenda and you'd be trusting this year of development to a team who just want to win and probably don't have his interests to heart given he won't be with them.

[Updated on: Fri, 05 July 2019 11:02]

Re: httpRe: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #739910 is a reply to message #739906 ]
Fri, 05 July 2019 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 05 July 2019 13:58

Another advantage is the head coach for Hamilton is Steve Staios who has ties to the Oilers and was a decent NHL defenseman himself. So he would be able to steer him in the right direction and get him to work on the things he would need to in order to succeed in the NHL.

rofl lmao rofl

Staios? What's he going to teach him? How to ring a puck around the boards? Last 4 years of his career that was pretty much his one and only go-to move. Usually ending up on the opposing team's stick.

No - I'm good minimizing his exposure to the Steve Staios school of hockey.

I'm probably still jaded, but the longer the Oilers keep their grubby hands off him, the better IMO.

Re: httpRe: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #739911 is a reply to message #739910 ]
Fri, 05 July 2019 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Mike wrote on Fri, 05 July 2019 11:43

Another advantage is the head coach for Hamilton is Steve Staios who has ties to the Oilers and was a decent NHL defenseman himself. So he would be able to steer him in the right direction and get him to work on the things he would need to in order to succeed in the NHL.

rofl lmao rofl

Staios? What's he going to teach him? How to ring a puck around the boards? Last 4 years of his career that was pretty much his one and only go-to move. Usually ending up on the opposing team's stick.

I'm probably still jaded, but the longer the Oilers keep their grubby hands off him, the better IMO.

I agree that someone other than the Oilers
Developing our prospects is the best approach.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: httpRe: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #739912 is a reply to message #739910 ]
Fri, 05 July 2019 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

rofl lmao rofl

It's getting to the point where you literally take every thread and you turn it into another rehashing the bad moves thread. Now this thread will be taken over like all the other ones with comments about all the Oilers crappy moves, the players they rushed a decade ago. The dmen they gave up on too soon. etc, etc. You could literally go into every thread and I would bet there is pages and pages of the same crap.

Serious legit question. Is it possible to have a discussion about ANYTHING involving the team that doesn't turn into another complaint session?

When it comes to Staios, the guy played 1001 games. I am going to assume you don't play that many games by fluke, he must have don't something right. After retiring he spent time with the Leafs in development. He has short stints as an assistant. I am sure he could teach Broberg a few things about life in the NHL. What it takes to be a pro, positioning, etc. I am sure there are things he could teach an 18 yr old kid with 1001 NHL games of experience that would help him.

Re: httpRe: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #739913 is a reply to message #739912 ]
Fri, 05 July 2019 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 05 July 2019 12:03

rofl lmao rofl

It's getting to the point where you literally take every thread and you turn it into another rehashing the bad moves thread. Now this thread will be taken over like all the other ones with comments about all the Oilers crappy moves, the players they rushed a decade ago. The dmen they gave up on too soon. etc, etc. You could literally go into every thread and I would bet there is pages and pages of the same crap.

Serious legit question. Is it possible to have a discussion about ANYTHING involving the team that doesn't turn into another complaint session?

When it comes to Staios, the guy played 1001 games. I am going to assume you don't play that many games by fluke, he must have don't something right. After retiring he spent time with the Leafs in development. He has short stints as an assistant. I am sure he could teach Broberg a few things about life in the NHL. What it takes to be a pro, positioning, etc. I am sure there are things he could teach an 18 yr old kid with 1001 NHL games of experience that would help him.

My favorite Staios memory is him and Torres trying to fight Boogard at the same time whenever we played the Wild.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: httpRe: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #739916 is a reply to message #739913 ]
Fri, 05 July 2019 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 05 July 2019 12:19

rofl lmao rofl

My favorite Staios memory is him and Torres trying to fight Boogard at the same time whenever we played the Wild.

Staios was never a high end, offensive guy but he played 1001 NHL games. He must know something about being a NHL dman that he could pass on to a young, hopefully future NHL dman.

Re: httpRe: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #739934 is a reply to message #739916 ]
Fri, 05 July 2019 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 05 July 2019 12:45

he played 1001 NHL games. He must know something about being a NHL dman that he could pass on to a young, hopefully future NHL dman.

Kinda like K-Lowe knows a thing or two about winning.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: httpRe: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #739972 is a reply to message #739934 ]
Mon, 08 July 2019 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

Looks almost official Broberg is heading back to play in Sweden for the coming season

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey /philip-broberg-to-play-for-skelleftea-in-sweden-not-hamilto n-in-ohl-in-2019-20

I stii think Broberg would thrive and develop just as well if not better in Hamilton, but playing in Sweden isn't the end.

Re: httpRe: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #739977 is a reply to message #739972 ]
Mon, 08 July 2019 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Mon, 08 July 2019 08:31

Looks almost official Broberg is heading back to play in Sweden for the coming season

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey /philip-broberg-to-play-for-skelleftea-in-sweden-not-hamilto n-in-ohl-in-2019-20

I stii think Broberg would thrive and develop just as well if not better in Hamilton, but playing in Sweden isn't the end.

It's not a totally unheard of development route...it's not like he's playing Junior B in Tofield.

And it worked for this guy to play a couple more SEL seasons after getting drafted: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=3146

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: httpRe: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #739983 is a reply to message #739977 ]
Mon, 08 July 2019 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 08 July 2019 10:11

It's not a totally unheard of development route...it's not like he's playing Junior B in Tofield.

And it worked for this guy to play a couple more SEL seasons after getting drafted: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=3146

You leave the Satellites out of this. What have they ever done to you? Nothing, that's what.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: httpRe: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #739986 is a reply to message #739983 ]
Mon, 08 July 2019 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 08 July 2019 10:32

Adam wrote on Mon, 08 July 2019 10:11

You leave the Satellites out of this. What have they ever done to you? Nothing, that's what.

I play with a couple of guys who came through the Tofield system, and let me tell you...they're no Nick Lidstrom! Fine guys, good friends, but if you're looking for a top-five NHL defenceman of all-time? Not even close!

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: httpRe: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #741167 is a reply to message #739986 ]
Mon, 29 July 2019 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Looks like it's a done deal. Broberg isn't even coming to training camp with either Tofield or the Edmonton Oilers.

https://www.tsn.ca/edmonton-oilers-first-round-pick-philip-b roberg-to-play-in-shl-this-season-1.1343573

"Broberg, the eighth overall pick in June's draft, told NHL.com he will not be attending Oilers training camp and will instead spend the year with Skelleftea in the Swedish Hockey League as he continues to grow his game.

"It's a great organization for developing," Broberg said of the SHL club. "I know I'm not good enough to make the NHL team right now. That's why I'm going to Skelleftea, to play against men every day, to practise against them, to play in probably the third-best league in the world, to get better and come back next year and make the [Oilers].' "

Not a bad decision for a kid who just turned 18, but from an Oiler fan's point of view, it would be nice to have a preview of what tools Brobers has. I don't know if the Oilers will be taking part in that prospects tournament in Penticton, but if they are that would be a good place for him to get a handle on the North American game.
i

Re: httpRe: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #741179 is a reply to message #741167 ]
Mon, 29 July 2019 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Mon, 29 July 2019 08:53

Looks like it's a done deal. Broberg isn't even coming to training camp with either Tofield or the Edmonton Oilers.

https://www.tsn.ca/edmonton-oilers-first-round-pick-philip-b roberg-to-play-in-shl-this-season-1.1343573

"Broberg, the eighth overall pick in June's draft, told NHL.com he will not be attending Oilers training camp and will instead spend the year with Skelleftea in the Swedish Hockey League as he continues to grow his game.

"It's a great organization for developing," Broberg said of the SHL club. "I know I'm not good enough to make the NHL team right now. That's why I'm going to Skelleftea, to play against men every day, to practise against them, to play in probably the third-best league in the world, to get better and come back next year and make the [Oilers].' "

Not a bad decision for a kid who just turned 18, but from an Oiler fan's point of view, it would be nice to have a preview of what tools Brobers has. I don't know if the Oilers will be taking part in that prospects tournament in Penticton, but if they are that would be a good place for him to get a handle on the North American game.
i

I’m glad he’s not reporting here. If his game has warts, which it should given his age and position, then work on them overseas where he is still comfortable. I couldn’t imagine the backlash from fan sites and bloggers if he came to camp overmatched and unrefined.

21/22 should be a reasonable target.

Re: httpRe: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #741180 is a reply to message #741167 ]
Mon, 29 July 2019 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

i

He should be Puljujarvi's mentor.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: httpRe: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #741181 is a reply to message #741167 ]
Mon, 29 July 2019 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

i

Foolish kid! Doens't he know he can make at least 9 games of NHL money if he comes? :)

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: httpRe: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #741184 is a reply to message #741181 ]
Mon, 29 July 2019 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 29 July 2019 13:11

i

Foolish kid! Doens't he know he can make at least 9 games of NHL money if he comes? :)

Some players aren’t about the money. Not like that greedy Finnish kid!

Re: httpRe: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #739978 is a reply to message #739934 ]
Mon, 08 July 2019 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Fri, 05 July 2019 15:17

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 05 July 2019 12:45

he played 1001 NHL games. He must know something about being a NHL dman that he could pass on to a young, hopefully future NHL dman.

Kinda like K-Lowe knows a thing or two about winning.

I imagine this kind of flawed logic is why there are SO MANY former NHLers in positions they have no experience or qualifications for around the NHL.

Sure, he's never negotiated anything, barely passed grade 12 math and has had someone telling him what to do for every aspect of his life for the last 15-20 years., even down when to go to bed, and when to get up...but he's probably the right person to take over as GM of our franchise! He won Stanley Cups as a player! And he was even half-decent out there!

Surely, all that it takes to be a successful executive in a competitive sports league is a fierce determination to win and a high pain threshold!

Re: httpRe: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #739914 is a reply to message #739912 ]
Fri, 05 July 2019 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Don’t think so, Tim.

Unless, of course, you’re wearing glasses with lenses from Wayne’s bottles.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: httpRe: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #739915 is a reply to message #739914 ]
Fri, 05 July 2019 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 05 July 2019 12:23

Don’t think so, Tim.

It's got nothing to do with drinking the Kool aid. If the first thing that comes to mind when you think about something is to rehash the bad over and over again, then maybe a person should take a step away for a bit. In my opinion, what's the point in following a team if all they do is make you miserable. I will just drop it because I know I am wasting my time.

Re: httpRe: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #739920 is a reply to message #739915 ]
Fri, 05 July 2019 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 05 July 2019 12:42

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 05 July 2019 12:23

Don’t think so, Tim.

It's got nothing to do with drinking the Kool aid. If the first thing that comes to mind when you think about something is to rehash the bad over and over again, then maybe a person should take a step away for a bit. In my opinion, what's the point in following a team if all they do is make you miserable. I will just drop it because I know I am wasting my time.

People’s fury for the consistent mismanagement of this team shows the passion of the market, you can’t argue that. I mean, you can try. But. Yeah.

In a city like Edmonton, a market that is so passionate, you’re not going to have people just step away. At least not the mass of the people, because the arena, the chat boards, they’d be empty. Shelves would be packed with merch. And let’s be honest, there’s the eskimos, there’s always some festival (it seems)... but the Oilers are THE ticket in town... you have 10 people step away because they’re fed up there’ll be 20 people waiting to take their spots.

That, and, people have this predetermined fear of missing out. Why give up my season tickets when I know I’ll be kicking myself when the team turns it around.

We, I speak for the mass, are fed up with the mismanagement of our beloved team. But heck do they know how to sell hope.

Oh, and Connor.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: httpRe: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #739928 is a reply to message #739920 ]
Fri, 05 July 2019 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Interesting discussion, but I just would like to point out that Steve Staios is President and General Manager of the Hamilton Bulldogs, so I would think he would have little to do with watching players develop day-to-day. The head coach of the Bulldogs is Dave Matsos, who I know nothing about, except he had a brief career as an AHL player before playing a few seasons in Britain. I also remember he collapsed behind the Hamilton bench last season, but as far as I know made a full recovery.

I know it's very unlikely that Broberg will become Oliver Eckman-Larsson 2.0, but Eckman-Larson played another season in Sweden after he was drafted, and then was splitting the next two seasons between the AHL and NHL.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=120283

I realize there is no cookie-cutter formula for player development, but I don't think Broberg will suffer if he plays with the big boys in Sweden one more season. Hopefully, he will be selected for Team Sweden at this year's U-20 tournament so we can see how he is coming along.

The argument to have Broberg join Hamilton also does have some merit. As RDOF points out, it would allow Broberg to get used to the North American sized ice, and he would surely get more ice time than he would in Sweden.

Either way, I hope this kid achieves his potential. I won't add fuel to the fire here, but if Broberg can develop through the Oilers "system", it's a giant leap forward.

Re: httpRe: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #739924 is a reply to message #739912 ]
Fri, 05 July 2019 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 05 July 2019 15:03

rofl lmao rofl

1) Dude - relax. You complain WAY too much about people complaining.

2) I rarely post anymore on here, not sure what "every thread" you are talking about, but ok.

3) This was not a general Oilers suck post (though those are warranted more than any other team in league history). I suppose you haven't been here long enough to remember the days of Staios here - but my disdain for his play is matched by no other player in the last 15 years, and that includes Lucic and Manning. So this was a very specific tongue in cheek jab at one of my all time most disliked Oilers.

Chillax.

EDIT - his bumbling in game 7 against the Canes cost us the Cup. Bum!

[Updated on: Fri, 05 July 2019 14:03]

Re: httpRe: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #739926 is a reply to message #739924 ]
Fri, 05 July 2019 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Mike wrote on Fri, 05 July 2019 13:01

rofl lmao rofl

2) I rarely post anymore on here, not sure what "every thread" you are talking about, but ok.

3) This was not a general Oilers suck post (though those are warranted more than any other team in league history). I suppose you haven't been here long enough to remember the days of Staios here - but my disdain for his play is matched by no other player in the last 15 years, and that includes Lucic and Manning. So this was a very specific tongue in cheek jab at one of my all time most disliked Oilers.

Chillax.

Gotta change that av man! At a quick glance, you're Adam.

Re: httpRe: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #739927 is a reply to message #739926 ]
Fri, 05 July 2019 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Xombie wrote on Fri, 05 July 2019 17:07

Mike wrote on Fri, 05 July 2019 13:01

rofl lmao rofl

Chillax.

Gotta change that av man! At a quick glance, you're Adam.

Oh dear - that would be horrible.

Re: httpRe: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #739923 is a reply to message #739906 ]
Fri, 05 July 2019 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 05 July 2019 09:58

Hamilton is in the CHL who own his rights. Holland has come out and said it's either Sweden or Hamilton. If he plays in Sweden, this coming season is the last then he is coming over.

Oh snap I didn't know Hamilton was Bro's CHL rights holder. Always learning something on the ol' Oilfans.com. Plus gotta be 19 for the A so I shoulda known.

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #741221 is a reply to message #739192 ]
Wed, 31 July 2019 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG is currently online NetBOG

2 Cups

Broberg is playing on TSN right now, for all that care.

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #741237 is a reply to message #741221 ]
Thu, 01 August 2019 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

NetBOG wrote on Wed, 31 July 2019 18:21

Didn't see - how did he look?

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #741245 is a reply to message #741237 ]
Thu, 01 August 2019 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Mike wrote on Thu, 01 August 2019 08:24

NetBOG wrote on Wed, 31 July 2019 18:21

Didn't see - how did he look?

I just caught the 3rd. Skated very well and the puck didn't stay on his stick very long and he got ouot of the zone efficiently. He iced it once, but it looked like the forward just missed the pass. USA outmatched Sweden, but Broberg controlled the play when he was on the ice. Announcers were really bragging him up.

Also looked big.

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #741248 is a reply to message #741245 ]
Thu, 01 August 2019 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Highlight pack.

Only really see him around 1:10. His D partner decides he doesn't want to do stuff and gives the puck away in the middle of the ice and you see Broberg at the end trying to cover and not getting there in time :)

Kaliyev with some good goals. Would be very annoying if he ended up being great for LA after dropping to the 2nd round for some unknown reason.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #741260 is a reply to message #741248 ]
Fri, 02 August 2019 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

No Cups

And Broberg scores on Olivier Rodrigue on a 2 man advantage powerplay, making the score 3-1 Canada over Sweden.

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg [message #757186 is a reply to message #739192 ]
Fri, 06 March 2020 18:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Eastern Oil @OntarioOilers

18 y.o. SHL seasons

Broberg 42, 1-7-8, 0.19 P/G
Klefbom 33, 2-0-2, 0.06 P/G
Klingberg 26, 0-5-5, 0.19 P/G
Karlsson 45, 5-5-10, 0.22 P/G

Looks like Broberg put up 4 points in feb to double his total for the year. Ending up with a reasonable season as a youngin getting limited minutes and offensive opportunity in the SHL.

https://www.shl.se/lag/50e6-50e6DYeWM__skelleftea-aik/qRh-zt vvNake__philip-broberg/gamelog

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Pages (5): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  >  »]  
Previous Topic:GDT: Carolina @ Edmonton (Game #23)
Next Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #22)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca