F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Anselmi to be President, Nicholson named Chairman
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Anselmi to be President, Nicholson named Chairman [message #738529]
Mon, 10 June 2019 08:48 Go to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

OEG have announced some changes today with an official presser at 10:30 AM.

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/release-nicholson-named-chai rman-anselmi-hired-as-president-and-coo/c-307773758

Quote:

EDMONTON, AB - Oilers Entertainment Group (OEG) announced today that Bob Nicholson will assume the new role of Chairman, Edmonton Oilers Hockey Club and that Tom Anselmi is hired as President, Business Operations and Chief Operating Officer (COO) of Edmonton Oilers Hockey Club and ICE District. These moves allow Nicholson to devote his energies to OEG's hockey franchises and growing sports business, while the addition of Anselmi brings significant management and operational leadership to day-to-day business operations.

As Chairman, Nicholson will be the senior leader of OEG's sports franchises, including the Edmonton Oilers, Edmonton Oil Kings and Bakersfield Condors, and will work closely with Katz Group CEO Jürgen Schreiber on expanding the OEG's global sports initiatives. Edmonton Oilers President of Hockey Operations and General Manager Ken Holland will report to Nicholson and will continue to have full autonomy over all aspects of Edmonton Oilers hockey operations. Nicholson will remain as Alternate Governor, representing the Edmonton Oilers to the National Hockey League and will be the primary liaison to Katz Group Chairman and Oilers owner Daryl Katz.

As President, Business Operations and COO, Anselmi will report to Katz Group CEO Jürgen Schreiber and be responsible for all aspects of OEG's day-to-day business operations. This will include OEG's facility management, operation and programming of Rogers Place, Ford Hall and ICE District Plaza, sales and marketing, guest experience, food and beverage, human resources and finance. Anselmi brings a wealth of experience and expertise to the role and will also be responsible for the exciting opportunity to integrate Rogers Place and ICE District operations into one world-class experience for customers and fans.

I love that they use the official announcement as a reminder that Ken Holland has full autonomy.

Clean house or bust

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Anselmi to be President, Nicholson named Chairman [message #738530 is a reply to message #738529 ]
Mon, 10 June 2019 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Guy from the Senators org that resigned last year? Sweet. icon_wink

The full autonomy comment is definitely a nice touch. Might be there to reassure Holland even more than it's there to convince us. But a day might come, when THE living legend may start knocking on his door.

[Updated on: Mon, 10 June 2019 08:56]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Anselmi to be President, Nicholson named Chairman [message #738532 is a reply to message #738530 ]
Mon, 10 June 2019 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I think it's a bit overkill that the Oilers keep mentioning that Holland has full autonomy but I am guessing they feel like that have to because Oilers fans don't believe anything.

Re: Anselmi to be President, Nicholson named Chairman [message #738536 is a reply to message #738532 ]
Mon, 10 June 2019 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 10 June 2019 09:02

I think it's a bit overkill that the Oilers keep mentioning that Holland has full autonomy but I am guessing they feel like that have to because Oilers fans don't believe anything.

Of course, the fact that the organization has lied repeatedly about this stuff in the past probably impacts the fans willingness to believe anything they say...even if repeated ad nauseum.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Anselmi to be President, Nicholson named Chairman [message #738533 is a reply to message #738529 ]
Mon, 10 June 2019 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Well, the org chart is really starting to take shape.

In business Anselmi reports to Schreiber, who reports to Katz. On the hockey side Full Autonomy reports to Nicholson, who works with Schreiber, and is the primary liaison to Katz.

Sensible. I guess. I can't wait for the rest of it to come out.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Anselmi to be President, Nicholson named Chairman [message #738535 is a reply to message #738533 ]
Mon, 10 June 2019 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 10 June 2019 09:05

Well, the org chart is really starting to take shape.

In business Anselmi reports to Schreiber, who reports to Katz. On the hockey side Full Autonomy reports to Nicholson, who works with Schreiber, and is the primary liaison to Katz.

Sensible. I guess. I can't wait for the rest of it to come out.

Now, can anyone figure out what Lowe and Gretzky do or who they report to?

I wonder at what point you need to report up to the person you report to when you have FULL AUTONOMY!

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Anselmi to be President, Nicholson named Chairman [message #738537 is a reply to message #738535 ]
Mon, 10 June 2019 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

One thing I notice in the presser is when they talk about Holland, there is zero mentioning about him having anything to do with the Oil Kings like Chia was doing. I sure how that is the case because it was baffling to me why they would have their Pres and GM of the NHL team having to spend even 5 mins a day on a junior team. It's not like the Oil Kings are full of Oilers prospects. Most of those kids will have being in the WHL as the highlight of their hockey career. So anyone working for the Oilers should have nothing to do with the Oil Kings.

Re: Anselmi to be President, Nicholson named Chairman [message #738538 is a reply to message #738537 ]
Mon, 10 June 2019 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

Oil press conference today...1030 AM MDT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg8QFaXKY18

Re: Anselmi to be President, Nicholson named Chairman [message #738540 is a reply to message #738538 ]
Mon, 10 June 2019 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

No Cups

hahaha

As soon as I started reading this I had it in my head that I think I'll write a snarky comment - something like "yeah but does Holland still have FULL AUTONOMY!?"

Then they go and beat me to it! The Oilers are a parody of themselves at this point.

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: Anselmi to be President, Nicholson named Chairman [message #738541 is a reply to message #738529 ]
Mon, 10 June 2019 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pseudoreality  is currently offline Pseudoreality

No Cups

Good to see. After the departure of Mac T, I was worried that the Oilers were getting low on senior executives. As the saying goes, "You can never have too many cooks in the kitchen!"

Re: Anselmi to be President, Nicholson named Chairman [message #738542 is a reply to message #738529 ]
Mon, 10 June 2019 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

So glad that Holland has full autonomy, I mean they said it so it must be true.

What's the saying, "Saying something as much as you like doesn't necessarily make it true"

We're so jaded and rightfully so that we can't take anything the org says at face value. Glad to see I'm not the only one.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Anselmi to be President, Nicholson named Chairman [message #738554 is a reply to message #738542 ]
Mon, 10 June 2019 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Yay! Wayne and Kevin are staying with the organization because they were great players and mean so so much to the city. The won't make decisions regarding the Oilers, but they WILL be utilized as a resource. Hooray. Kevin especially has done so so so very much to the organization over the last 20 years and how could and organization turn its back on THAT.

(I actually don't remind Wayne having the role of old timer / ambassador / drunk uncle.)

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Anselmi to be President, Nicholson named Chairman [message #738555 is a reply to message #738554 ]
Mon, 10 June 2019 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

The new guy said season tickets are around 80%. Then said he wasn't sure if that was normally publicized. Oopsy. Frankly, I'm surprised it's that high.

Re: Anselmi to be President, Nicholson named Chairman [message #738556 is a reply to message #738554 ]
Mon, 10 June 2019 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 10 June 2019 10:49

Yay! Wayne and Kevin are staying with the organization because they were great players and mean so so much to the city. The won't make decisions regarding the Oilers, but they WILL be utilized as a resource. Hooray. Kevin especially has done so so so very much to the organization over the last 20 years and how could and organization turn its back on THAT.

(I actually don't remind Wayne having the role of old timer / ambassador / drunk uncle.)

Tell me that's not what was being said at the Press Conference. I haven't been watching.

Kevin Lowe is the reason the Oilers are in this mess, cut ties with him. Seriously. They think the longer they keep him there the sooner we will forget. We will never forget.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Anselmi to be President, Nicholson named Chairman [message #738558 is a reply to message #738556 ]
Mon, 10 June 2019 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Mon, 10 June 2019 10:58

Tell me that's not what was being said at the Press Conference. I haven't been watching.

Kevin Lowe is the reason the Oilers are in this mess, cut ties with him. Seriously. They think the longer they keep him there the sooner we will forget. We will never forget.

That's exactly what was said. Well, not exactly, I didn't transcribe the comment, but it's the nuts and bolts of it.

Re: Anselmi to be President, Nicholson named Chairman [message #738559 is a reply to message #738558 ]
Mon, 10 June 2019 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 10 June 2019 11:02

WhoreableGuy wrote on Mon, 10 June 2019 10:58

That's exactly what was said. Well, not exactly, I didn't transcribe the comment, but it's the nuts and bolts of it.

This is one of my issues with "full autonomy". What it really means is: You can go ahead and make the decisions, but we're going to give you suggestions as we go, and if you don't make the decisions we'd make, we're going to undermine you all over the place, including possibly leaking damaging things like we did with Chia...

I wish these guys had just got the Habs treatment where they always have a seat in the arena, and they're just goodwill ambassador. Letting them have any kind of operational role was just the worst. Frankly, it tarnishes what they did for the team and the city in the past.

And honestly, I think the fact that we have guys from that dynasty at the helm of every anniversary and team event means that it's always dominated by guys from that era. We don't have the Doug Weight & Curtis Joseph Oilers represented at all in anything. Ryan Smyth is the only representative from the first 10 years of this century. You wonder if the team will ever really embrace anyone who came before McDavid in any alumni type event ever...

Or if we'll just have a slowly dwindling number of guys who played in the 80s continue to get all the spotlight forever.

Re: Anselmi to be President, Nicholson named Chairman [message #738564 is a reply to message #738529 ]
Mon, 10 June 2019 11:39 Go to previous message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Guys how many times do i have to say it? Anselmi is NOT involved in hockey operations.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Previous Topic:Duane Sutter and JJ. Hebert are out
Next Topic:Coffey gone
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca