F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Coffey gone
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Coffey gone [message #738115]
Tue, 28 May 2019 15:18 Go to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

As the title states, apparently this was confirmed today, but of course it wasn't big news because, really, what did Paul do here anyway?

There are still some other big names that I'd like to see gone like Schwartz and Howson, but given how things have gone so far, maybe we'll be seeing them shot into the sun sometime within the next couple of months....

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Coffey gone [message #738122 is a reply to message #738115 ]
Tue, 28 May 2019 17:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently online Adam

6 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Tue, 28 May 2019 15:18

As the title states, apparently this was confirmed today, but of course it wasn't big news because, really, what did Paul do here anyway?

There are still some other big names that I'd like to see gone like Schwartz and Howson, but given how things have gone so far, maybe we'll be seeing them shot into the sun sometime within the next couple of months....

I, for one, am seriously concerned about the potential impact to our powerplay in losing the once every 30 games or so assistant coach!!! Also, with MacT and Coffey gone, all those bottles of Wayne Gretzky Shiraz Cabernet's aren't going to just drink themselves!?!?

http://www.gretzkyestateswines.com/media/catalog/product/cache/small_image/970x470/925f46717e92fbc24a8e2d03b22927e1/w/g/wge-es-shirazcab-nv-sm.jpg

One of the things I hate most about the way the Oilers have been run over the last 10-20 years, is that they've managed to shake my love for those 80s Oilers, and I've grown to hate seeing them around the team. It's truly saddening, because those were my childhood heroes. It would be better if they'd all just stayed as treasured alumni and just come back for the 2-3 dinner events a year celebrating the team of that era.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Coffey gone [message #738124 is a reply to message #738122 ]
Tue, 28 May 2019 18:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vagabond  is currently offline vagabond

No Cups

Did we ever find out what he actually did?

Re: Coffey gone [message #738125 is a reply to message #738124 ]
Tue, 28 May 2019 18:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

vagabond wrote on Tue, 28 May 2019 18:07

https://www.bakersfieldcondors.com/news/coffey-talk-saturday -with-paul-coffey/

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Coffey gone [message #738134 is a reply to message #738124 ]
Tue, 28 May 2019 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

The info in this article, courtesy of Todd McLellan anonymously griping to Mark Spector, is the closest we've come to understanding Paul Coffey's role with the team:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/oilers-held-hostage-voic es-past/

There was some suggestion he might play a larger role under Hitchcock, but there's no evidence to suggest that happened.

Theoretically, he was brought in to make the powerplay better. The powerplay DID improve this year, but given how little Coffey was around, it would be surprising if he actually had much impact...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Coffey gone [message #738141 is a reply to message #738134 ]
Wed, 29 May 2019 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 28 May 2019 23:04

The info in this article, courtesy of Todd McLellan anonymously griping to Mark Spector, is the closest we've come to understanding Paul Coffey's role with the team:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/oilers-held-hostage-voic es-past/

There was some suggestion he might play a larger role under Hitchcock, but there's no evidence to suggest that happened.

Theoretically, he was brought in to make the powerplay better. The powerplay DID improve this year, but given how little Coffey was around, it would be surprising if he actually had much impact...

Think it started as a special teams thing, Kypreos said it was a strong opinion thing (Coffey was gonna come in, assess things and give his SUPER STRONG OPINION!!! and you know it's gonna be good because it's so STRONG!), after his credentials were constantly questioned in the media for his coaching abilities it turned into skills coach for D, which turned into skills coach for D exclusively in the minors, then turned into Coffey talk in bakersfield, then turned into just boozing.

This all seemed to play out like the OBC were still completely clueless at the optics of another OBC guy joining the team. Then they slowly realized how bad the perception was and slowly downplayed Coffey's role until he just disappeared. It was absolutely amazing how they didn't seem to expect the mockery and outrage from the hockey world and Oilers fans that would come. Maybe that was all JJ. Hebert's fault.

[Updated on: Wed, 29 May 2019 00:15]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Coffey gone [message #738188 is a reply to message #738115 ]
Wed, 29 May 2019 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

500k for 1/4 time of work and they separate ways hey?

Well clearly the 1/4 time of work was too much for Paul.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Coffey gone [message #738196 is a reply to message #738188 ]
Wed, 29 May 2019 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Wed, 29 May 2019 13:26

Hey, YOU try hauling out that much in cash. That's a heavy load for anyone to carry!

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Coffey gone [message #738198 is a reply to message #738188 ]
Wed, 29 May 2019 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Come on now, let's not get stuck in hyperbole. There is no way Coffey was working a full quarter of the time!!!

I wonder if the Oilers will spin the exit at all - he's decided to leave to pursue other interests. It's been uncharacteristically quiet for them. Just a little leak through Spector that he wasn't coming back...

Re: Coffey gone [message #738212 is a reply to message #738198 ]
Wed, 29 May 2019 19:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 29 May 2019 15:08

Come on now, let's not get stuck in hyperbole. There is no way Coffey was working a full quarter of the time!!!

I wonder if the Oilers will spin the exit at all - he's decided to leave to pursue other interests. It's been uncharacteristically quiet for them. Just a little leak through Spector that he wasn't coming back...

I doubt they'll try to spin it, because that would draw attention to the fact that they hired him to begin with. This seems to hint at a desire on their part to just sweep him under the rug and pretend he never existed.

5-14-6-1

Re: Coffey gone [message #738213 is a reply to message #738212 ]
Wed, 29 May 2019 20:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Wed, 29 May 2019 19:50

I doubt they'll try to spin it, because that would draw attention to the fact that they hired him to begin with. This seems to hint at a desire on their part to just sweep him under the rug and pretend he never existed.

I’m not sure he did exist.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Coffey gone [message #738225 is a reply to message #738213 ]
Wed, 29 May 2019 22:09 Go to previous message

2 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 29 May 2019 20:00

Ragnarok73 wrote on Wed, 29 May 2019 19:50

I’m not sure he did exist.

Exactly. You're getting with their program.

5-14-6-1

Previous Topic:Anselmi to be President, Nicholson named Chairman
Next Topic:Oilers sign college free agent Gambardella
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca