This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » MacT the coach of LokomotivPages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #737671]
Thu, 16 May 2019 06:38 Go to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

He gone.
https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1129002665588023301
KHL Lokomotiv announces a two-year contract for Craig MacTavish as coach

Send a private message to this user  

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #737674 is a reply to message #737671 ]
Thu, 16 May 2019 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Suomalainen wrote on Thu, 16 May 2019 06:38

He gone.

From SVP of a 500M+ org to KHL coach. Quite the move.

2nd time MacT has left the org and all he can get is a coach gig in a lower league when his friends aren't gifting him a job.

[Updated on: Thu, 16 May 2019 07:36]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #737675 is a reply to message #737671 ]
Thu, 16 May 2019 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

He gone.

Why do these news releases all sound like “Craig Mactavish has taken a temporary leave of absence to pursue his dream of coaching in the KHL. We will welcome him back in two years time!”

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #737677 is a reply to message #737675 ]
Thu, 16 May 2019 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 16 May 2019 07:32

He gone.

Why do these news releases all sound like “Craig Mactavish has taken a temporary leave of absence to pursue his dream of coaching in the KHL. We will welcome him back in two years time!”

Years of social proof.

Let him save face. Kinda classy move, but unnecessary.

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #737712 is a reply to message #737675 ]
Thu, 16 May 2019 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 16 May 2019 07:32

He gone.

Remember when it was called "defecting"?

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #737678 is a reply to message #737671 ]
Thu, 16 May 2019 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

Happy Birthday to me!! Happy Birthday to me!! Happy Birthday deeeeaaarrr W2tOC, Happy Birthday to Me!!!!
icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #737680 is a reply to message #737678 ]
Thu, 16 May 2019 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

welcometotheOC wrote on Thu, 16 May 2019 08:13

Happy Birthday to me!! Happy Birthday to me!! Happy Birthday deeeeaaarrr W2tOC, Happy Birthday to Me!!!!

Nice to see some house cleaning, but he's come and gone and it's been the same thing the whole time. This is equivalent to moving Chia out in my mind. Will not make a difference.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #737689 is a reply to message #737680 ]
Thu, 16 May 2019 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Thu, 16 May 2019 08:17

Nice to see some house cleaning, but he's come and gone and it's been the same thing the whole time. This is equivalent to moving Chia out in my mind. Will not make a difference.

I'm glad he is gone. He showed himself to be a spiteful disruptive douche in his short GM run. Crapping on Dubs before the season even started, firing Krueger by skype after they agreed to look for an associate coach. His endless attempts to try to excuse himself and Eakins from blame by tossing players under the bus, and even Nelson eventually after he was forced to fire Eakins. So many efforts by him to take a dump on whatever Nelson did to give himself credit and try to make Eakins look better. He had a big mouth too, likely leaking all kinds of internal stuff after he was kicked out of the GM job up until he's finally off to Russia.

I would probably rank him as the #2 OBC influencer behind Lowe. The team did suck while he was gone, but they were sucking on purpose. He intentionally came back when the OBC thought the tank time was done and there was nothing but greatness to come, and he played a huge role in creating a new disaster. Smart move by Holland to pressure MacT out 1st.

[Updated on: Thu, 16 May 2019 08:47]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #737694 is a reply to message #737689 ]
Thu, 16 May 2019 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 16 May 2019 08:45

I'm glad he is gone. He showed himself to be a spiteful disruptive douche in his short GM run. Crapping on Dubs before the season even started, firing Krueger by skype after they agreed to look for an associate coach. His endless attempts to try to excuse himself and Eakins from blame by tossing players under the bus, and even Nelson eventually after he was forced to fire Eakins. So many efforts by him to take a dump on whatever Nelson did to give himself credit and try to make Eakins look better. He had a big mouth too, likely leaking all kinds of internal stuff after he was kicked out of the GM job up until he's finally off to Russia.

I would probably rank him as the #2 OBC influencer behind Lowe. The team did suck while he was gone, but they were sucking on purpose. He intentionally came back when the OBC thought the tank time was done and there was nothing but greatness to come, and he played a huge role in creating a new disaster. Smart move by Holland to pressure MacT out 1st.

This is a net positive. One less idiotic voice in the room, suggesting that they sign every 6th defenceman available and hope one turns in to Chris Pronger. One less voice in Katz's ear, telling him that if he was still GM he would be doing better because he'd be making a trade every 10 days...

I'm happy to see him make his BOLD exit. I'm a little concerned that it might not be permanent, given the way the Oilers yo-yo these guys, and that the team might be strategizing ways to rehabilitate him and bring him back.

The only real problem here that I see is that you can't hire Todd Nelson as coach now, because we no longer have training wheels for him!

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #737695 is a reply to message #737694 ]
Thu, 16 May 2019 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 16 May 2019 09:10

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 16 May 2019 08:45

This is a net positive. One less idiotic voice in the room, suggesting that they sign every 6th defenceman available and hope one turns in to Chris Pronger. One less voice in Katz's ear, telling him that if he was still GM he would be doing better because he'd be making a trade every 10 days...

I'm happy to see him make his BOLD exit. I'm a little concerned that it might not be permanent, given the way the Oilers yo-yo these guys, and that the team might be strategizing ways to rehabilitate him and bring him back.

The only real problem here that I see is that you can't hire Todd Nelson as coach now, because we no longer have training wheels for him!

It would be funny if Holland talked to Nelson about the coach job, and he was plainly told there is no way he would consider it as long as MacT was still with the org. Even if we don't hire Nelson, it would be good for Holland to hear from someone he knows outside the org what an arsehat the Oilers still had on the payroll.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #737681 is a reply to message #737678 ]
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

One down!!

I heard that the Oilers and Holland were doing scouting meetings this week. I wonder if something like this happened.

"Hey Mac, I need to speak to you about your time with the Oilers, how about we meet Thursday morning"

"Can't do it Kenny, I have a new job in Russia, got to go."

icon_lol

Pretty convenient that Mac T got a KHL job a week after Holland was hired and said changes were coming. I don't care how they go, just go.

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #737679 is a reply to message #737671 ]
Thu, 16 May 2019 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

Is it really happening? Is the purge happening?! That's one, a few more to go!

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #737682 is a reply to message #737679 ]

No Cups

JPro wrote on Thu, 16 May 2019 08:16

No, I don't think so... at all. Just another inconsequential move. Maybe there is a benefit to have one fewer voice from the DOD era?

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #737683 is a reply to message #737682 ]
Thu, 16 May 2019 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

No, I don't think so... at all. Just another inconsequential move. Maybe there is a benefit to have one fewer voice from the DOD era?

Oh I'm sure the net effect on points this upcoming season with MacT's departure is zero. I just hope it's a sign of things to come.

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #737685 is a reply to message #737683 ]
Thu, 16 May 2019 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

JPro wrote on Thu, 16 May 2019 08:22

Oh I'm sure the net effect on points this upcoming season with MacT's departure is zero. I just hope it's a sign of things to come.

Good God, I do too. Hopes up? No. Ur... maybe.

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #737697 is a reply to message #737685 ]
Thu, 16 May 2019 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

Still need to clear out Lowe and Howson!!!!

How Howson still has a job with this organization blows my mind. The guy has flat out sucked in managerial roles, and yet remains on the payroll. Would be the first head on the chopping block, imo.

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #737702 is a reply to message #737697 ]
Thu, 16 May 2019 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

HamBlaster wrote on Thu, 16 May 2019 09:57

How Howson still has a job with this organization blows my mind. The guy has flat out sucked in managerial roles, and yet remains on the payroll. Would be the first head on the chopping block, imo.

Lowe will never go. Just have to hope that Holland is able to fully insulate his hockey operations from any Lowe influence. Easiest way to do that is removing guys like MacT that are probably chatting with Lowe all the time about what the team should be doing.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #737704 is a reply to message #737702 ]
Thu, 16 May 2019 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 16 May 2019 10:22

Lowe will never go. Just have to hope that Holland is able to fully insulate his hockey operations from any Lowe influence. Easiest way to do that is removing guys like MacT that are probably chatting with Lowe all the time about what the team should be doing.

Uh it says right on the website that Ken is autonomous. So obviously Kevin is doing other important work for the organization. I assume that work involves picking fights on the business side of things.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #737707 is a reply to message #737704 ]
Thu, 16 May 2019 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 16 May 2019 10:33

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 16 May 2019 10:22

Uh it says right on the website that Ken is autonomous. So obviously Kevin is doing other important work for the organization. I assume that work involves picking fights on the business side of things.

If anyone in hockey has the chops to tell a useless management/wanna-be hockey manager that his opinion is not wanted, it's Holland... so that's something. Whether he will or not is another question.

I kind of wonder if Katz showing up, was Katz way of saying that Lowe was no longer involved with hockey ops, or at least that Holland has a direct link to Katz without Lowe's interference. I hope... Maybe Katz is not willing to turf his bro-ski, but at least willing to take him out of the power structure.

[Updated on: Thu, 16 May 2019 10:52]

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #737687 is a reply to message #737671 ]
Thu, 16 May 2019 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

https://media.giphy.com/media/Ss6mTgZhAlk501enzO/giphy.gif

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #737690 is a reply to message #737671 ]
Thu, 16 May 2019 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigred75  is currently offline bigred75

No Cups

Glad he has moved on, but the one thing MacT was good at here was coaching. Management just does not seem to suit him. Good luck to him in the KHL.

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #737692 is a reply to message #737690 ]
Thu, 16 May 2019 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

Hopefully this is a win for all involved, especially the Oilers.

Mike Keenan had a good run in the KHL, and I'm confident MacTavish will, too. (the longer the better).

I'm figuring Bill Scott and Duane Sutter are next on Holland's list of guys to hit the recycling bin.

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #737691 is a reply to message #737671 ]
Thu, 16 May 2019 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Pretty standard career arc for macT.

Coaches the Oil. Quits because coaching is hard. Becomes GM somehow. Puts rebuild back several years. Gets a reverse promotion to "#2". Magically becomes a VP. Is reportedly doing a "great job" with the AHL team. Moves to Russia.

How do we prevent his inevitable rehiring in two years?

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #737693 is a reply to message #737691 ]
Thu, 16 May 2019 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 16 May 2019 09:02

Pretty standard career arc for macT.

Coaches the Oil. Quits because coaching is hard. Becomes GM somehow. Puts rebuild back several years. Gets a reverse promotion to "#2". Magically becomes a VP. Is reportedly doing a "great job" with the AHL team. Moves to Russia.

How do we prevent his inevitable rehiring in two years?

I think he quit because there was a plan with him and Lowe that they would tank and let Tambo take 100% blame for the failure. MacT left, kept himself busy, took a weekend EMBA course to build his resume up, then came back to the Oilers so he and Lowe could be conquering heroes with all the benefits of the tank job and none of the blame. Of course someone tried to blame Lowe a bit at their press conference, but he showed them who was boss. Lowe also corrected anyone that dared to suggest MacT was fired before.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #737699 is a reply to message #737693 ]
Thu, 16 May 2019 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Howson is probably wandering around the office asking "who keeps leaving these job ads on my desk. This sticky note says from a friend K.H. I don't have a friend with those initials."

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #737700 is a reply to message #737671 ]
Thu, 16 May 2019 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260 is currently online smyth260

No Cups

Well this is just fantastic.

Clean house or bust

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #737701 is a reply to message #737700 ]
Thu, 16 May 2019 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Ken Holland found the email where MacT endorses Chiarelli.
Banishes him to Siberian Gulag.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #737714 is a reply to message #737671 ]
Thu, 16 May 2019 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Good news. Even if he has a promised return when he wants to a reprieve is welcomed.
One less OBC voice in the room is a win for the franchise and the fans

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #737718 is a reply to message #737671 ]
Thu, 16 May 2019 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

The OBC have spoken

Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger
I’m told MacT felt like he needed a change. This is a big one as he returns to the bench and leaves his scouting and NHL executive duties behind.

DEFINITELY NOT FIRED!

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #737719 is a reply to message #737718 ]
Thu, 16 May 2019 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 16 May 2019 13:05

The OBC have spoken

Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger
I’m told MacT felt like he needed a change. This is a big one as he returns to the bench and leaves his scouting and NHL executive duties behind.

DEFINITELY NOT FIRED!

This is so Oilers. They go out of their way to protect these guys. Remember the day that Howson and Dellow both left a couple years ago? Dellow basically got the "effective immediately" message, while Howson "had decided to examine other opportunities" or something like that. Of course, those other opportunities turned out to be just a short holiday before returning immediately to the payroll and then the C-Suite of the team...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #737728 is a reply to message #737671 ]
Thu, 16 May 2019 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

He'll be fine. Yaroslavl is definitely not in Siberia, just a few hundred kilometres outside Moscow. It will probably feel almost exactly like Edmonton. Plus he gets to coach his boy Anton Lander.

He probably went looking for coaching jobs and was told he'd been out too long and needed to prove himself. KHL was where he ended up choosing to do that.

I don't necessarily think he was a huge problem for the Oilers, but they need to clean house and let Holland choose his people. I'd be more worried about removing all of the pro scouting staff. That was the real problem last year.

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #737731 is a reply to message #737728 ]
Thu, 16 May 2019 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Thu, 16 May 2019 14:28

He'll be fine. Yaroslavl is definitely not in Siberia, just a few hundred kilometres outside Moscow. It will probably feel almost exactly like Edmonton.

A few hundred miles outside of Moscow is Siberia. Edmonton is Siberia. That's end of the Earth territory.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #737741 is a reply to message #737731 ]
Thu, 16 May 2019 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 16 May 2019 15:28

He'll be fine. Yaroslavl is definitely not in Siberia, just a few hundred kilometres outside Moscow. It will probably feel almost exactly like Edmonton.

A few hundred miles outside of Moscow is Siberia. Edmonton is Siberia. That's end of the Earth territory.

That statement is both literally and metaphorically wrong. Both cities are very much fully connected to the rest of their countries and the broader world.

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #737743 is a reply to message #737741 ]
Thu, 16 May 2019 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

NetBOG wrote on Thu, 16 May 2019 21:18

That statement is both literally and metaphorically wrong. Both cities are very much fully connected to the rest of their countries and the broader world.

Everywhere in Russia is Siberia. Plus even if you don’t live in Siberia you have to fly there for games in a rickety 1964 Aeroflot propeller plane.

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #737744 is a reply to message #737741 ]
Thu, 16 May 2019 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Thu, 16 May 2019 21:18

Well, no, Edmonton isn’t literally Siberia, but we’re at the very edge of the civilized world and a long damn way from the centers of power. I stand behind the metaphor.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #737730 is a reply to message #737671 ]
Thu, 16 May 2019 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

As bad as it sounds out of the entire OBC I like Mac T the most.

I'd be more satisfied when Scott Howson and Kevin Lowe get axed.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #737732 is a reply to message #737730 ]
Thu, 16 May 2019 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Thu, 16 May 2019 15:15

As bad as it sounds out of the entire OBC I like Mac T the most.

I'd be more satisfied when Scott Howson and Kevin Lowe get axed.

Good luck on the Lowe front.

Even with MacT, you can see them almost strategizing this like - Craig goes over and dominates the Russian league, then returns to an executive position like a conquering hero!

I hope this is the first of several dominoes, but I don't expect many more...other than Sutter. He's dead man walking.

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #737734 is a reply to message #737671 ]
Thu, 16 May 2019 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philly boy  is currently offline philly boy

No Cups

good gnikcuff riddance

I know there's virtually no chance K Lowe will go, but would be nice to see Howson and the scouting staff banished as well

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #737737 is a reply to message #737671 ]
Thu, 16 May 2019 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

A face saving move for sure. I'm sure he's realized for a long time that the fans wanted him gone and he likely got a little encouragement from Holland. Maybe Locamotife or whatever has a management position opening up that has Kevin's name on it. They are likely due for a re build, a very..... long...... re build and Kev has all the credentials for the job.

Re: MacT the coach of Lokomotiv [message #737739 is a reply to message #737737 ]
Thu, 16 May 2019 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

overdue wrote on Thu, 16 May 2019 17:50

A face saving move for sure. I'm sure he's realized for a long time that the fans wanted him gone and he likely got a little encouragement from Holland. Maybe Locamotife or whatever has a management position opening up that has Kevin's name on it. They are likely due for a re build, a very..... long...... re build and Kev has all the credentials for the job.

Plus they are very good at controlling the media, which is a plus over there.

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Puljujarvi signs in Finland
Next Topic:Oilers trade Wideman and a 3rd for Petrovic
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca