This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Katz/Nicholson Presser at 10AM Today Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Katz/Nicholson Presser at 10AM Today [message #737297 is a reply to message #737292 ]
Tue, 07 May 2019 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Tue, 07 May 2019 15:40

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 07 May 2019 15:38

clutchlikeeberle wrote on Tue, 07 May 2019 14:43

This forum is getting worse exponentially. Just wow, I am speechless. A human's health should never be questioned or looked upon negatively no matter what their position in life.

Sorry, I didn’t get the memo. I didn’t know I wan no longer allowed to comment on someone’s obvious decline in health. Am I allowed to notice these things or is that a thought crime? Follow up question, am I allowed to notice a player’s health? Like if a guy obviously has a bad knee can I say his skating is suffering or can we only have nice thoughts about people?

I reserve my right to continue to dislike someone i previously disliked even if they are sick.

I don’t think that’s allowed. Sorry man, you can only politely pretend not to notice. I think. Clutch, we’re trying to learn here, what are we allowed to do?

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Katz/Nicholson Presser at 10AM Today [message #737298 is a reply to message #737297 ]
Tue, 07 May 2019 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vagabond  is currently offline vagabond

No Cups

Back on target here

The more and more I look at the wings situation the more I do not like this move

Re: Katz/Nicholson Presser at 10AM Today [message #737307 is a reply to message #737298 ]
Tue, 07 May 2019 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philly boy  is currently offline philly boy

No Cups

vagabond wrote on Tue, 07 May 2019 16:04

Back on target here

The more and more I look at the wings situation the more I do not like this move

I have a couple friends who are diehard Wings fans, and they beg to differ. I am skeptical of this hire for a number of reasons, Holland’s resume aside; I also haven’t looked at Wing’s prospect pool or what they have on the books, although I’m aware they’re carrying some bad contracts. My buddies say Holland has done a great job of drafting the past 3-5 years through this mini on-the-fly rebuild (they are convinced people above him wanted - whether forcing his hand or not - the Wings to go out and overpay for FA’s for a variety of reasons), they are really high on some of their prospects and young talent, so there’s that.

Re: Katz/Nicholson Presser at 10AM Today [message #737346 is a reply to message #737307 ]
Wed, 08 May 2019 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

philly boy wrote on Tue, 07 May 2019 18:11

Back on target here

I have a couple friends who are diehard Wings fans, and they beg to differ. I am skeptical of this hire for a number of reasons, Holland’s resume aside; I also haven’t looked at Wing’s prospect pool or what they have on the books, although I’m aware they’re carrying some bad contracts. My buddies say Holland has done a great job of drafting the past 3-5 years through this mini on-the-fly rebuild (they are convinced people above him wanted - whether forcing his hand or not - the Wings to go out and overpay for FA’s for a variety of reasons), they are really high on some of their prospects and young talent, so there’s that.

I said it already, as soon as their owner Mr. Illitch died and his son took over, there was a massive shift in how Detroit did everything. Mike Illitch died February 10, 2017. The Wings went HARD after Stamkos in the 16-17 season. They didn't get him. They then turned their attention and signed a few other free agents. Nielsen being one of them. Illitch dies in February, the Wings didn't make a single trade at the deadline and they missed the playoffs. They stopped going after big free agents, they started trading off UFA's for draft picks instead of keeping them and started building.

Maybe it's a coincidence but it's pretty interesting to me that as soon as the ailing owner who had the mantra of make the playoffs and keep the streak alive at all costs dies, they shift how they did things.

Re: Katz/Nicholson Presser at 10AM Today [message #737347 is a reply to message #737346 ]
Wed, 08 May 2019 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 08 May 2019 08:37

philly boy wrote on Tue, 07 May 2019 18:11

Back on target here

I said it already, as soon as their owner Mr. Illitch died and his son took over, there was a massive shift in how Detroit did everything. Mike Illitch died February 10, 2017. The Wings went HARD after Stamkos in the 16-17 season. They didn't get him. They then turned their attention and signed a few other free agents. Nielsen being one of them. Illitch dies in February, the Wings didn't make a single trade at the deadline and they missed the playoffs. They stopped going after big free agents, they started trading off UFA's for draft picks instead of keeping them and started building.

Maybe it's a coincidence but it's pretty interesting to me that as soon as the ailing owner who had the mantra of make the playoffs and keep the streak alive at all costs dies, they shift how they did things.

I'm leaving this conversation because it's pretty inappropriate to speak poorly of a dead person.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Katz/Nicholson Presser at 10AM Today [message #737313 is a reply to message #737298 ]
Tue, 07 May 2019 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Back on target here

The more I look at the Oilers situation, the more I like this move!

Re: Katz/Nicholson Presser at 10AM Today [message #737304 is a reply to message #737297 ]
Tue, 07 May 2019 17:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clutchlikeeberle  is currently offline clutchlikeeberle

No Cups

I am referring to the assumptions about cocaine use, plastic surgery fails, his overall looks - I am not referring to his failure to run the Oilers over the past 12 years. Criticize all you want about someone's actual job - but hey - lay off when it comes to their looks. I work in the school system and it is amazing to see the the culture of keyboard warriors within young minds - respect is a dying trait.

Re: Katz/Nicholson Presser at 10AM Today [message #737337 is a reply to message #737270 ]
Tue, 07 May 2019 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 07 May 2019 13:34

https://twitter.com/i/status/1125821836569145344

Watch Bob explain the whole process talking to hard-hitting investigative reporter Jack Michaels!

https://i.imgur.com/uBXmWPj.gif

Glad someone made a gif of this. I totally noticed the whole way through long periods of Nicholson catching flies with the jaw hanging and blinking like mad.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Katz/Nicholson Presser at 10AM Today [message #737367 is a reply to message #737205 ]
Wed, 08 May 2019 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260 is currently online smyth260

No Cups

In a reply to John Shannon's tweets about Katz's health, Sheldon Souray had this to say:

https://twitter.com/ssouray/status/1126207449025748994?s=21

Quote:

This is awful. I can relate....Here’s a little story for you: After I broke my hand in a fight with Iggy in 2010 and needed pins put in to set the fracture, the Oilers insisted I get the surgery done in Edmonton. After some discussion, I agreed 1/4

Sometime during the Olympic Break, my hand became infected and I got very sick. I flew back to EDM from LA and went to the hospital that night. I had a bad blood and bone infection (MRSA). After spending a few days in ICU and a couple more surgeries later 2/4

I was close to having my hand amputated. I spent about 12 weeks on the IV bag with a PIC line on my heart to keep the infection from killing me. During the 10 days in the hospital, I was told that Oilers management(Katz,Kevin, Tambellini) thought I was “milking” the injury 3/4

When I spoke to the press in April 2010, I still hadn’t talked to management. I wasn’t mad they “didn’t check on me”. I was floored they thought I was using this injury not to play again that season. Obviously the rest is history. These infections are real and serious. 4/4
Hope the worst is behind D.K

[Updated on: Wed, 08 May 2019 15:13]

Clean house or bust

Re: Katz/Nicholson Presser at 10AM Today [message #737368 is a reply to message #737367 ]
Wed, 08 May 2019 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 08 May 2019 15:10

In a reply to John Shannon's tweets about Katz's health, Sheldon Souray had this to say:

Quote:

This is awful. I can relate....Here’s a little story for you: After I broke my hand in a fight with Iggy in 2010 and needed pins put in to set the fracture, the Oilers insisted I get the surgery done in Edmonton. After some discussion, I agreed 1/4

Sometime during the Olympic Break, my hand became infected and I got very sick. I flew back to EDM from LA and went to the hospital that night. I had a bad blood and bone infection (MRSA). After spending a few days in ICU and a couple more surgeries later 2/4

I was close to having my hand amputated. I spent about 12 weeks on the IV bag with a PIC line on my heart to keep the infection from killing me. During the 10 days in the hospital, I was told that Oilers management(Katz,Kevin, Tambellini) thought I was “milking” the injury 3/4

When I spoke to the press in April 2010, I still hadn’t talked to management. I wasn’t mad they “didn’t check on me”. I was floored they thought I was using this injury not to play again that season. Obviously the rest is history. These infections are real and serious. 4/4

The tone of this is perfect.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Katz/Nicholson Presser at 10AM Today [message #737369 is a reply to message #737368 ]
Wed, 08 May 2019 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

No Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 08 May 2019 15:22

Quote:

The tone of this is perfect.

Perfect.

If there were any real "scribes" in Edmonton this would have been a pretty good story to dig into...but they were to busy lapping KLowe and DKs bag.

Maybe we hold off on the pity party for old Rocky Denn...I mean Daryl Katz eh

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: Katz/Nicholson Presser at 10AM Today [message #737371 is a reply to message #737367 ]
Wed, 08 May 2019 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Quote:

Ah, so this is an example what a winning culture looks like. What Lowe and Friends have been trying to keep intact for so long. Finally starting to get it.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Katz/Nicholson Presser at 10AM Today [message #737372 is a reply to message #737371 ]
Wed, 08 May 2019 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 08 May 2019 16:08

Quote:

Ah, so this is an example what a winning culture looks like. What Lowe and Friends have been trying to keep intact for so long. Finally starting to get it.

OH good. Another disgruntle old Oiler coming out of the woodwork to complain about his time with the Oilers giving all the miserable Oilers fans something else to complain about. I am sure if a former player came out and said something good about the organization, he would be branded a liar and crucified.

Re: Katz/Nicholson Presser at 10AM Today [message #737373 is a reply to message #737372 ]
Wed, 08 May 2019 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Yes, this is the miserable Oilers fans' fault.

Clean house or bust

Re: Katz/Nicholson Presser at 10AM Today [message #737385 is a reply to message #737373 ]
Wed, 08 May 2019 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 08 May 2019 16:33

Yes, this is the miserable Oilers fans' fault.

Exactly.

A generation of losing was caused by all of us being skeptical, judgmental and unreasonably upset. Not the other way around.

How ANYONE can be angry at someone like Souray telling this story is beyond me. Assuming it is true about him almost losing a hand and such, it is pretty pathetic what the team did to him. Stories like that are what causes me to question cheering for these idiots more that the losing has.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Katz/Nicholson Presser at 10AM Today [message #737406 is a reply to message #737385 ]
Thu, 09 May 2019 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

No Cups

PlusOne wrote on Wed, 08 May 2019 21:38

Stories like that are what causes me to question cheering for these idiots more that the losing has.

This is my thing as well.

I mean the unprecedented level of incompetence and stupidity has made me pretty apathetic to the team. I mostly enjoy the drama and the thrill of watching them continually lower the bar and fail to get over it.

But the fact that I actually ENJOY seeing them puke all over themselves at every turn is because of things like this. I have seen nothing from Daryl Katz and certainly from Kevin Lowe that makes me think that they aren't pretty awful people.

There are a lot of things/people/situations in this world that deserve sympathy and understanding. When the billionaire drug dealer and his cronies who have spent their lives stabbing people in the backs and gouging their "customers" for every cent they can have bad things happen to them and one of them suddenly shows up looking like the elephant man - I'll be honest. I don't lose to much sleep over it.

Do you think that snake Kevin Lowe ever lobbed an apology to Souray for the appalling treatment he received here? I don't.

Sometimes bad things happen to good people and it sucks. Sometimes bad things happen to bad people and - well - life comes at you fast.

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: Katz/Nicholson Presser at 10AM Today [message #737407 is a reply to message #737406 ]
Thu, 09 May 2019 09:37 Go to previous message

1 Cup

Jay wrote on Thu, 09 May 2019 09:33

PlusOne wrote on Wed, 08 May 2019 21:38

Stories like that are what causes me to question cheering for these idiots more that the losing has.

This is my thing as well.

I mean the unprecedented level of incompetence and stupidity has made me pretty apathetic to the team. I mostly enjoy the drama and the thrill of watching them continually lower the bar and fail to get over it.

But the fact that I actually ENJOY seeing them puke all over themselves at every turn is because of things like this. I have seen nothing from Daryl Katz and certainly from Kevin Lowe that makes me think that they aren't pretty awful people.

There are a lot of things/people/situations in this world that deserve sympathy and understanding. When the billionaire drug dealer and his cronies who have spent their lives stabbing people in the backs and gouging their "customers" for every cent they can have bad things happen to them and one of them suddenly shows up looking like the elephant man - I'll be honest. I don't lose to much sleep over it.

Do you think that snake Kevin Lowe ever lobbed an apology to Souray for the appalling treatment he received here? I don't.

Sometimes bad things happen to good people and it sucks. Sometimes bad things happen to bad people and - well - life comes at you fast.

I remember seeing an old video of a news conference, Lowe had held out in contract negotiations and Sather had finally signed him. Kevin at the presser says "Glen will be happier about this when I win him the Stanley Cup" or something similar. I think he has always overestimated his abilities. Winners don't apologize. It has to be the other guy's fault.

Re: Katz/Nicholson Presser at 10AM Today [message #737374 is a reply to message #737372 ]
Wed, 08 May 2019 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 08 May 2019 16:26

Quote:

OH good. Another disgruntle old Oiler coming out of the woodwork to complain about his time with the Oilers giving all the miserable Oilers fans something else to complain about. I am sure if a former player came out and said something good about the organization, he would be branded a liar and crucified.

Yeah, Sheldon was likely just bored and decided to roast an ailing owner and his loyal glory boys. No axe to grind. Just bored I guess eh?

You amaze me.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Katz/Nicholson Presser at 10AM Today [message #737375 is a reply to message #737372 ]
Wed, 08 May 2019 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Quote:

Seems like a good a time as any for Souray to finally let this story out. Yesterday was infection awareness day courtesy of John Shannon.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Katz/Nicholson Presser at 10AM Today [message #737377 is a reply to message #737372 ]
Wed, 08 May 2019 18:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Quote:

So are implying he’s making this up? What would he gain by that?

Re: Katz/Nicholson Presser at 10AM Today [message #737395 is a reply to message #737377 ]
Thu, 09 May 2019 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 08 May 2019 18:08

Quote:

Not at all. Things didn't go well for Souray. Management has a lot of blame on their hands but I don't for a second think that it's 100% all the teams fault. I am sure there is blame on both sides but you only ever hear from the one side. If the team were to say something and report about how much of a miserable person player X was to deal with, the team would be CRUCIFIED.

Plus why is it that when a report like this comes out from the odd player, it always seems to come from a guy who doesn't exactly have a glowing rep as being a good guy in general? Souray never had a glowing rep as being a great guy for any of the teams he played for. Eric Belanger was known as a prick. Surprise surprise, these guys didn't have a "good experience". I have no doubt in my mind that the Oilers management made mistakes in the past with dealing with people. I would bet money that every business out there has made some mistakes with handling their people. But when a player who is genuinely known for being a real good guy comes out and says something, then I will listen more. When a demanding, not so nice guy comes out and complains, I don't listen as much because there is lots of people in this world who it doesn't really matter what people do for them, they are never happy.

Re: Katz/Nicholson Presser at 10AM Today [message #737396 is a reply to message #737395 ]
Thu, 09 May 2019 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Ference is in my opinion a role model person. The dude goes above and beyond for his community. Even he thought management wasn't supportive of their players, specifically mentioning Schultz. Does he meet your definition of a good guy?

Quote:

I think that the (lack of) quickness to defend players within the organization. I remember Jeff Petry or Schultz getting raked over the coals and nobody coming to defend them and just trading them after they’ve beaten them down for months, then trading them. It’s like, ‘God.’ It’s not just for those guys but it’s for other guys on the team, you’re looking at it and saying, ‘They don’t have his back. Are they going to have mine when it’s my turn to be the whipping boy?’”

[Updated on: Thu, 09 May 2019 08:41]

Clean house or bust

Re: Katz/Nicholson Presser at 10AM Today [message #737397 is a reply to message #737396 ]
Thu, 09 May 2019 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

smyth260 wrote on Thu, 09 May 2019 08:36

Ference is in my opinion a role model person. The dude goes above and beyond for his community. Even he thought management wasn't supportive of their players, specifically mentioning Schultz. Does he meet your definition of a good guy?

Quote:

I think that the (lack of) quickness to defend players within the organization. I remember Jeff Petry or Schultz getting raked over the coals and nobody coming to defend them and just trading them after they’ve beaten them down for months, then trading them. It’s like, ‘God.’ It’s not just for those guys but it’s for other guys on the team, you’re looking at it and saying, ‘They don’t have his back. Are they going to have mine when it’s my turn to be the whipping boy?’”

Ference was a different kind of mistake. He was a role player who was declining when he arrived. He didn't do anything to earn the captainship and that sort of thing will always cause issues. He's absolutely a good person but that doesn't make him a good leader. Even if he drinks kale smoothies with the coach.

*I did appreciate how he got a "hip injury" to help get him off the books. Great example setting for certain Milans out there.

Re: Katz/Nicholson Presser at 10AM Today [message #737398 is a reply to message #737396 ]
Thu, 09 May 2019 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Quote:

Here's a short list of people we KNOW weren't happy with their Oilers experience in the Kevin Lowe era, especially the end of it:

Comrie
Marchant
Chimera
Thoresen
Pronger
Moreau
Souray
Brule
Petry
Gilbert
Belanger
N. Schultz
Hemsky
Whitney
J. Schultz
Smid
Ference
Bryzgalov
Pakarinen
Auvitu
Eberle

Those are just some of the people who've actually said something - something that's incredibly rare in hockey circles. Most NHLers don't make snide remarks or give comments about the hockey team they came from, beyond saying they were sorry to leave. With the Oilers, we've had close to 20 guys say something negative about the team after they've left it.

Hell, even coaches have had negative things to say - Quinn said the team changed coaches without even really telling him and that they weren't listening to him about who to keep out of camp. Renney said that the team told him to play young guys more, even as he was worried about their health, because they wanted to "sell hope".

We just don't have anyone like Doug Weight anymore, who used to talk on and on about how he and his family loved it here. There's no one coming out and disputing most of these things said by players, not even anonymously. There were a couple guys who disagreed with Ference's take on the players and the party atmosphere, but no one suggested he was wrong about the management's lack of support.

This is a terrible team to play for. The team never wins, and the management ALWAYS does stupid things, all while still living in the past and thinking they're owed some great deal of respect from players too young to have even seen them play.

The culture here is toxic. That's on the management of this team. That's what leads to guys like Souray regretting his decision to come to his hometown team.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Katz/Nicholson Presser at 10AM Today [message #737399 is a reply to message #737398 ]
Thu, 09 May 2019 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 09 May 2019 08:53

Quote:

Here's a short list of people we KNOW weren't happy with their Oilers experience in the Kevin Lowe era, especially the end of it:

Comrie
Marchant
Chimera
Thoresen
Pronger
Moreau
Souray
Brule
Petry
Gilbert
Belanger
N. Schultz
Hemsky
Whitney
J. Schultz
Smid
Ference
Bryzgalov
Pakarinen
Auvitu
Eberle

Those are just some of the people who've actually said something - something that's incredibly rare in hockey circles. Most NHLers don't make snide remarks or give comments about the hockey team they came from, beyond saying they were sorry to leave. With the Oilers, we've had close to 20 guys say something negative about the team after they've left it.

Hell, even coaches have had negative things to say - Quinn said the team changed coaches without even really telling him and that they weren't listening to him about who to keep out of camp. Renney said that the team told him to play young guys more, even as he was worried about their health, because they wanted to "sell hope".

We just don't have anyone like Doug Weight anymore, who used to talk on and on about how he and his family loved it here. There's no one coming out and disputing most of these things said by players, not even anonymously. There were a couple guys who disagreed with Ference's take on the players and the party atmosphere, but no one suggested he was wrong about the management's lack of support.

This is a terrible team to play for. The team never wins, and the management ALWAYS does stupid things, all while still living in the past and thinking they're owed some great deal of respect from players too young to have even seen them play.

The culture here is toxic. That's on the management of this team. That's what leads to guys like Souray regretting his decision to come to his hometown team.

Comrie - Jerk, divorced
Marchant - White male
Chimera - Saw him yell at MacT with an angry face, jerk
Thoresen - Jerk, scored the goal that gave Chicago the lottery pick for Kane
Pronger - Jerk, cheater
Moreau - Refused to pay a bill at a restaurant, jerk
Souray - bad reputation
Brule - personal issues, holds grudge, jerk
Petry - Scored on his own net, idiot
Gilbert - Long hair, white male
Belanger - Known jerk
N. Schultz - White male
Hemsky - Last guy on, first guy off in practice
Whitney - Jerk, thick accent
J. Schultz - Slacker in his own end for us
Smid - Called out teammates, bad attitude
Ference - Called out teammates, too many tattoos
Bryzgalov - crazy person, Russian
Pakarinen - who?
Auvitu - who?
Eberle - Only tries hard in last few weeks of contract years, bum :)

Yeah sorry Adam, none of the above are qualified

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Katz/Nicholson Presser at 10AM Today [message #737401 is a reply to message #737399 ]
Thu, 09 May 2019 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 09 May 2019 09:01

Adam wrote on Thu, 09 May 2019 08:53

Quote:

Comrie
Marchant
Chimera
Thoresen
Pronger
Moreau
Souray
Brule
Petry
Gilbert
Belanger
N. Schultz
Hemsky
Whitney
J. Schultz
Smid
Ference
Bryzgalov
Pakarinen
Auvitu
Eberle

Comrie - Jerk, divorced
Marchant - White male
Chimera - Saw him yell at MacT with an angry face, jerk
Thoresen - Jerk, scored the goal that gave Chicago the lottery pick for Kane
Pronger - Jerk, cheater
Moreau - Refused to pay a bill at a restaurant, jerk
Souray - bad reputation
Brule - personal issues, holds grudge, jerk
Petry - Scored on his own net, idiot
Gilbert - Long hair, white male
Belanger - Known jerk
N. Schultz - White male
Hemsky - Last guy on, first guy off in practice
Whitney - Jerk, thick accent
J. Schultz - Slacker in his own end for us
Smid - Called out teammates, bad attitude
Ference - Called out teammates, too many tattoos
Bryzgalov - crazy person, Russian
Pakarinen - who?
Auvitu - who?
Eberle - Only tries hard in last few weeks of contract years, bum :)

Yeah sorry Adam, none of the above are qualified

Add Perron to the list, and I'd have to go back but Hall has certainly made comments about how things happen in NJ that never happened here.

Re: Katz/Nicholson Presser at 10AM Today [message #737402 is a reply to message #737395 ]
Thu, 09 May 2019 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 09 May 2019 08:31

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 08 May 2019 18:08

Quote:

Not at all. Things didn't go well for Souray. Management has a lot of blame on their hands but I don't for a second think that it's 100% all the teams fault. I am sure there is blame on both sides but you only ever hear from the one side. If the team were to say something and report about how much of a miserable person player X was to deal with, the team would be CRUCIFIED.

Plus why is it that when a report like this comes out from the odd player, it always seems to come from a guy who doesn't exactly have a glowing rep as being a good guy in general? Souray never had a glowing rep as being a great guy for any of the teams he played for. Eric Belanger was known as a prick. Surprise surprise, these guys didn't have a "good experience". I have no doubt in my mind that the Oilers management made mistakes in the past with dealing with people. I would bet money that every business out there has made some mistakes with handling their people. But when a player who is genuinely known for being a real good guy comes out and says something, then I will listen more. When a demanding, not so nice guy comes out and complains, I don't listen as much because there is lots of people in this world who it doesn't really matter what people do for them, they are never happy.

To summarize:

We Oiler fans will crucify former players if they say something good about the team and also crucify the team if they say that a player was miserable. If crucification was an option there would be a lumber shortage in town.

Except the team DOES say that about the players. Where else do the leaks come from?

Re: Katz/Nicholson Presser at 10AM Today [message #737378 is a reply to message #737372 ]
Wed, 08 May 2019 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Quote:

The problem of course being that no one in the Kevin Lowe era leaves and waxes poetic about their time in Edmonton. I'd welcome the chance to discuss it if it ever actually happens.

It isn't like this should be a surprise to anyone. Sour at went public with these concerns 9 years ago and the team turned an all-star player in to a buyout as a result.

Do you ever ask yourself why there are so many disgruntled former Oilers and a) rarely as many for other teams and b) rarely anyone stepping up to defend the management?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Katz/Nicholson Presser at 10AM Today [message #737382 is a reply to message #737367 ]
Wed, 08 May 2019 20:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

Quote:

There really does need to an in-depth sunshine report on the last decade of the Edmonton Oilers. There's been too many burned bridges - O'Sullivan, Souray, Comrie, Brule, on and on. And that's only what has bubbled into the public.

It will never happen. The media in Edmonton are spineless and completely enjoying lobbing softballs (Matheson to Holland: "Is it easier to start building a team with McDavid and Draisiatl?" Yes, he actually asked that). And outside of the market, Edmonton and the NHL just aren't a big enough fish to devote the resources. Maybe TSN could do something, but then it would just be branded Toronto garbage. I don't know. I think there's a lot of things that need to come into the light; the Oilers would look bad, fans may not like it, but it kind of will be allowed to fester there until it isn't allowed anymore.

Re: Katz/Nicholson Presser at 10AM Today [message #737383 is a reply to message #737382 ]
Wed, 08 May 2019 20:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Wed, 08 May 2019 19:42

Quote:

There really does need to an in-depth sunshine report on the last decade of the Edmonton Oilers. There's been too many burned bridges - O'Sullivan, Souray, Comrie, Brule, on and on. And that's only what has bubbled into the public.

It will never happen. The media in Edmonton are spineless and completely enjoying lobbing softballs (Matheson to Holland: "Is it easier to start building a team with McDavid and Draisiatl?" Yes, he actually asked that). And outside of the market, Edmonton and the NHL just aren't a big enough fish to devote the resources. Maybe TSN could do something, but then it would just be branded Toronto garbage. I don't know. I think there's a lot of things that need to come into the light; the Oilers would look bad, fans may not like it, but it kind of will be allowed to fester there until it isn't allowed anymore.

Jones and Matheson need to retire, and then some young bucks looking to establish themselves need to step up.

Even then I doubt the Oilers care as long as the tickets still sell and the TV money keeps coming in.

Also I had no idea Souray's injury ended up so bad. Now I understand why he was so angry with ownership and management as he was.

[Updated on: Wed, 08 May 2019 22:01]

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Katz/Nicholson Presser at 10AM Today [message #737392 is a reply to message #737367 ]
Thu, 09 May 2019 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

No Cups

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 08 May 2019 14:10

Quote:

Well I was gonna avoid this gong show of a thread but this is something else! I apologize for further derailing this Ken Holland discussion.

I bet this was just pure fun for Sheldon to write. He keeps a calm tone but this must feel like karma to him. I bet he is tickled pink to open up this truth from the past and expose his former "management". I can't believe it was 9 years ago. Feels longer! I remember going to a game at Rexall around that time and someone with a Souray #44 sweater had put tape over the a and the y in the name bar so it said "Sour". Ol' Sheldon definitely didn't deserve that!

I know political talk is not wanted here and I apologize again for the further derailment. But am I the only one that detected a little jab at Canada's "free" healthcare? The way Sheldon talks about how he needed to be convinced and the Oilers insisted he have the surgery in Edmonton. Like he would rather take his money and see a superior doctor in the states. Kind of sad and is he insinuating that he got infected because the procedure was done in Canada?? Too much reading between the lines I know I know. I realize he flew back from L.A., so maybe he got infected in Cali. What's going on down there? Infections and bacteria resistant stuff just floating around Cali.??

Bob Marley and the (Hartford) Wailers.

Re: Katz/Nicholson Presser at 10AM Today [message #737393 is a reply to message #737392 ]
Thu, 09 May 2019 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

Xombie wrote on Thu, 09 May 2019 00:40

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 08 May 2019 14:10

Quote:

Well I was gonna avoid this gong show of a thread but this is something else! I apologize for further derailing this Ken Holland discussion.

I bet this was just pure fun for Sheldon to write. He keeps a calm tone but this must feel like karma to him. I bet he is tickled pink to open up this truth from the past and expose his former "management". I can't believe it was 9 years ago. Feels longer! I remember going to a game at Rexall around that time and someone with a Souray #44 sweater had put tape over the a and the y in the name bar so it said "Sour". Ol' Sheldon definitely didn't deserve that!

I know political talk is not wanted here and I apologize again for the further derailment. But am I the only one that detected a little jab at Canada's "free" healthcare? The way Sheldon talks about how he needed to be convinced and the Oilers insisted he have the surgery in Edmonton. Like he would rather take his money and see a superior doctor in the states. Kind of sad and is he insinuating that he got infected because the procedure was done in Canada?? Too much reading between the lines I know I know. I realize he flew back from L.A., so maybe he got infected in Cali. What's going on down there? Infections and bacteria resistant stuff just floating around Cali.??

I’m not saying he’s lying, but who “told” him that management felt he was milking it?
For all we know it could have been Spector trying to stir up garbage to write one of his crappy “evidence, don’t need no evidence” type of columns - re: Hemsky

Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3]  
Previous Topic:The Oilers Management Expose
Next Topic:McDavid suspended 2 games
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca