This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #81)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #81) [message #734886]
Thu, 04 April 2019 21:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   0%
San Jose to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #81) [message #734888 is a reply to message #734886 ]
Thu, 04 April 2019 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

SLUMP BUSTERS!!!!

(Also, 49 for Leon...)

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #81) [message #734889 is a reply to message #734888 ]
Thu, 04 April 2019 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 04 April 2019 21:40

SLUMP BUSTERS!!!!

(Also, 49 for Leon...)

More importantly I opened up a 4 point lead in the score prediction contest.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #81) [message #734892 is a reply to message #734889 ]
Thu, 04 April 2019 21:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 04 April 2019 21:46

SLUMP BUSTERS!!!!

(Also, 49 for Leon...)

I don't think I've picked a score since early January. It was the first thing to lapse in to apathy for me, sadly.

Fortunately, I've stayed pretty engaged in Oilfans Survivor...although this means I have now had a full season since my last championship...

Also, we need the Ducks to win their final game and the Rangers to get three of four points in their final couple games. If they can do that, then we can paste the Flames, get Draisaitl his 50th (with an outside chance at the Rocket Richard) and still have the best possible odds at winning a lottery pick.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #81) [message #734896 is a reply to message #734889 ]
Thu, 04 April 2019 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

SLUMP BUSTERS!!!!

(Also, 49 for Leon...)

I cant catch you. We seem to have the same score most games so even when I get one right like tonight my happiness is short lived.
Such is the all encompassing sorrow of an Oiler fan in the 2000's

Decade of darkness my butt. This is the Century of Suck so far. Only 81 more seasons left until we turn THAT corner.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #81) [message #734897 is a reply to message #734896 ]
Thu, 04 April 2019 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Thu, 04 April 2019 22:41

SLUMP BUSTERS!!!!

(Also, 49 for Leon...)

I cant catch you. We seem to have the same score most games so even when I get one right like tonight my happiness is short lived.

Decade of darkness my butt. This is the Century of Suck so far. Only 81 more seasons left until we turn THAT corner.

Century won't be enough unfortunately. Kevin Lowe for sure is gonna get his brain transplanted into a robot so he can run this team for a millennia.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #81) [message #734898 is a reply to message #734897 ]
Thu, 04 April 2019 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 04 April 2019 22:46

SLUMP BUSTERS!!!!

(Also, 49 for Leon...)

Century won't be enough unfortunately. Kevin Lowe for sure is gonna get his brain transplanted into a robot so he can run this team for a millennia.

If robot Lowe is named poho I’m out as an Oilers fan. I mean that.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #81) [message #734899 is a reply to message #734898 ]
Thu, 04 April 2019 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 04 April 2019 22:48

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 04 April 2019 22:46

SLUMP BUSTERS!!!!

(Also, 49 for Leon...)

If robot Lowe is named poho I’m out as an Oilers fan. I mean that.

Don't worry. Robot Lowe definitely won't have anything to do with day to day hockey operations. You can believe Robot Bobby Nicks.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #81) [message #734891 is a reply to message #734886 ]
Thu, 04 April 2019 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

The hell was I smoking when I predicted Oilers 3-1 tonight?

Damn, would have been nice for Drai to get that 3rd one, but Sharks were draped all over him after the 2nd goal.

So, almost done an entire year of watching this team wait for McDavid and Drai to do everything. It's been a fun one!

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #81) [message #734900 is a reply to message #734891 ]
Fri, 05 April 2019 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan is currently online RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I was at the game.

Leon was excellent. It was pretty clear that the focus was to try to get him his 50. The Sharks knew it yet he kept getting open. He is so good.

Other than Leon, I was really disappointed in the overall effort. I understand the game didn't mean anything. I understand they are frustrated and disappointed and whatever other bad emotion there is. But it's your last home game of another disappointing year for the fans. You as a team sucked at home yet game after game the fans kept coming to cheer them on. Edmonton is different that most markets in that the bulk of the season ticket base is regular people. It's not companies who give out tickets to clients from where ever who might not even be hockey fans. It's regular people who spend their hard earned money and live and die Oilers and who feel every lose as much as the players do. I understand that the management did a piss poor job at putting a good roster together but that doesn't impact the effort level of the players that are on the team. Last night, I watched McDavid float around a lot. Sure he made some good players because he's just that good but other than the last 10 seconds, he didn't attack at all. I watched Nuge be completely invisible. The City has embraced Nuge as their own and Nuge sucked last night. No one hit anyone. Except for Leon most of the players were lousy last night.

Even at the end of the game when they all cluster in the center. They barely did it and couldn't get off the ice fast enough. We as a fan base have stuck it out with you guys and watched you mail in games over and over again and they couldn't be bothered to acknowledge the fans for sticking by them when in a lot of Cities, they wouldn't. The management has been terrible but I was really disappointed in the team last night. The fans deserved a better showing. What the hell are they saving themselves for?

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #81) [message #734907 is a reply to message #734900 ]
Fri, 05 April 2019 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 05 April 2019 08:26

I was at the game.

Leon was excellent. It was pretty clear that the focus was to try to get him his 50. The Sharks knew it yet he kept getting open. He is so good.

Other than Leon, I was really disappointed in the overall effort. I understand the game didn't mean anything. I understand they are frustrated and disappointed and whatever other bad emotion there is. But it's your last home game of another disappointing year for the fans. You as a team sucked at home yet game after game the fans kept coming to cheer them on. Edmonton is different that most markets in that the bulk of the season ticket base is regular people. It's not companies who give out tickets to clients from where ever who might not even be hockey fans. It's regular people who spend their hard earned money and live and die Oilers and who feel every lose as much as the players do. I understand that the management did a piss poor job at putting a good roster together but that doesn't impact the effort level of the players that are on the team. Last night, I watched McDavid float around a lot. Sure he made some good players because he's just that good but other than the last 10 seconds, he didn't attack at all. I watched Nuge be completely invisible. The City has embraced Nuge as their own and Nuge sucked last night. No one hit anyone. Except for Leon most of the players were lousy last night.

Even at the end of the game when they all cluster in the center. They barely did it and couldn't get off the ice fast enough. We as a fan base have stuck it out with you guys and watched you mail in games over and over again and they couldn't be bothered to acknowledge the fans for sticking by them when in a lot of Cities, they wouldn't. The management has been terrible but I was really disappointed in the team last night. The fans deserved a better showing. What the hell are they saving themselves for?

You know, other than putting in a solid effort to help Leon reach 50, I think I would just give 97 a pass right now. There’s plenty of blame to be passed around this roster and organization mostly, but at this very moment, Connor owes this organization AND fanbase nothing.

Good grief man..

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #81) [message #734913 is a reply to message #734907 ]
Fri, 05 April 2019 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

g2k wrote on Fri, 05 April 2019 09:11

I was at the game.

You know, other than putting in a solid effort to help Leon reach 50, I think I would just give 97 a pass right now. There’s plenty of blame to be passed around this roster and organization mostly, but at this very moment, Connor owes this organization AND fanbase nothing.

Good grief man..

I am not passing the buck for the organization. They freaking suck. You are right, Connor and the rest of the team doesn't owe the organization anything but you are wrong in that Connor and the rest of the team don't owe the fans. The fans of this team come out game after game to cheer these guys on. Without the fans, there is no team. The players and Connor can't control management making stupid decisions, they can control effort. In the last game of the season at home, I expected the team to at least come out and try hard for the fans that cheered them on loyally. They didn't. They mailed it in. If they want to mail in a game, go ahead and mail in the last one in Calgary.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #81) [message #734914 is a reply to message #734913 ]
Fri, 05 April 2019 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 05 April 2019 09:33

I was at the game.

Good grief man..

I am not passing the buck for the organization. They freaking suck. You are right, Connor and the rest of the team doesn't owe the organization anything but you are wrong in that Connor and the rest of the team don't owe the fans. The fans of this team come out game after game to cheer these guys on. Without the fans, there is no team. The players and Connor can't control management making stupid decisions, they can control effort. In the last game of the season at home, I expected the team to at least come out and try hard for the fans that cheered them on loyally. They didn't. They mailed it in. If they want to mail in a game, go ahead and mail in the last one in Calgary.

116 points, +3 on a -44 team.
104 points, +2, most goals by an oiler since the 80's.

Both guys occupying the best players and best D pair of the other team every night, letting everyone else on the team play against less competition that they still can't get anything done against.

I think they cracked the top 4 all time for % of goals by 2 players on a team in a season. Beaten only by some of the other most ridiculous 1 line teams in history.

I think these guys did all the could this year. They burned themselves out trying to give the fans Drai's 50's goal to cheer for. Unfortunately, they did hang out really long for a shift before the end of the 3rd, and they had nothing left for the end of game push. That's just a microcosm of the whole year though. They have both played a stupid amount of hockey this year trying to do everything for this team that can do nothing without them on the ice.

If you're mad about the product on the ice, look upstairs at the management team who made this sad 1 line team.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #81) [message #734916 is a reply to message #734914 ]
Fri, 05 April 2019 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 05 April 2019 09:45

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 05 April 2019 09:33

I was at the game.

Good grief man..

116 points, +3 on a -44 team.
104 points, +2, most goals by an oiler since the 80's.

Both guys occupying the best players and best D pair of the other team every night, letting everyone else on the team play against less competition that they still can't get anything done against.

I think they cracked the top 4 all time for % of goals by 2 players on a team in a season. Beaten only by some of the other most ridiculous 1 line teams in history.

I think these guys did all the could this year. They burned themselves out trying to give the fans Drai's 50's goal to cheer for. Unfortunately, they did hang out really long for a shift before the end of the 3rd, and they had nothing left for the end of game push. That's just a microcosm of the whole year though. They have both played a stupid amount of hockey this year trying to do everything for this team that can do nothing without them on the ice.

If you're mad about the product on the ice, look upstairs at the management team who made this sad 1 line team.

I concur.

Besides, I didn't think McDavid was floating - I thought he was looking for Leon. The result didn't matter other than that. He can't catch Kucherov, the game was completely meaningless, so the only things left to play for are A) Get Draisaitl his 50th and B) get him his 51st and 52nd too.

I expect we'll see more of the same in the game against Calgary. I'd be tempted to go with a McDavid/Nugent-Hopkins/Draisaitl line, and who cares what happens when they aren't on the ice.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #81) [message #734922 is a reply to message #734900 ]
Fri, 05 April 2019 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

I was at the game.

So typical of low hockey IQ fans and it makes the Oilers fan base look stupid.

McDavid has done everything in his power to drag this terrible team to the playoffs. He leads all forwards in time on ice. Gets the crap beat out of him every game as teams try to slow him down. Leads the league in primary points, and % of team goals.

Drai has been VERY good but without McDavid this team is record breaking bad.

Yet somehow you bring him up? He didn't give a balls out effort in game 81? In the first game after being mathematically eliminated?
Even when the out were a fraction of a percent he still went all out.

Give your head a shake.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #81) [message #734915 is a reply to message #734886 ]
Fri, 05 April 2019 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I assume another Hart snub for McDavid is coming? Even though he lead the league in primary points and is ahead by a mile vs a player on another other team in points % for team goals.

Dimitri Filipovic @DimFilipovic
The gap here between 1 and 2 and then 2 and everyone else. Sheesh

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D3ZmrwiUIAExqCJ.png

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #81) [message #734921 is a reply to message #734915 ]
Fri, 05 April 2019 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

It was interesting at the game and how the crowd chatted Rieder just about every time he was on the ice. Every time he got the puck in the offensive zone, the crowd was literally hoping it would go in for him. I watched Rieder pretty closely and I can tell why he hasn't scored. The guy doesn't get within 15 ft of the goal EVER. For a guy with really good speed he doesn't try to use that speed to drive to the goal what so ever. He got 3 shots on goal and every shot was a longer range muffin that unless the goalie tanked it, had zero chance of going in.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #81) [message #734926 is a reply to message #734915 ]
Fri, 05 April 2019 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 05 April 2019 09:52

I assume another Hart snub for McDavid is coming? Even though he lead the league in primary points and is ahead by a mile vs a player on another other team in points % for team goals.

Shocking that the Stars made the playoffs scoring that few goals.

As for the Hart snubs (where I don't think McDavid will even get serious consideration this year), that's all on management too. If we had any kind of team around him, he's got two Harts already, and he's a serious contender this year too.

Might have more points too, since there were plenty of times this year where McLellan or Hitchcock stapled useless wingers to either side of him.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #81) [message #734928 is a reply to message #734926 ]
Fri, 05 April 2019 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 05 April 2019 11:05

As for the Hart snubs (where I don't think McDavid will even get serious consideration this year), that's all on management too. If we had any kind of team around him, he's got two Harts already, and he's a serious contender this year too.

Might have more points too, since there were plenty of times this year where McLellan or Hitchcock stapled useless wingers to either side of him.

Yeah if McDavid wins the Art Ross and doesn't win the Hart last year, there wasn't a chance this year.

As far as wingers go, counting on 2 centers to be wingers with McDavid and a trio of natural centers for by far most of team production tells us everything we need to know there.

Thing is, I don't think Connor gives a crap about the accolades and would trade them all for 2 or 3 Stanleys in his career in less than a heartbeat.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #81) [message #734934 is a reply to message #734928 ]
Fri, 05 April 2019 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

The hart trophy and most of the awards are a bit of a joke to me. The hart trophy is supposedly the award given to the player who is most valuable to his team. Kucherov will probably win it because he will win the scoring title but is he the most valuable to his team? Not a chance. Take Kucherov away from Tampa and they wouldn't be quite as dominate but with 2 other 90+ pt players, a dman who has 54 pts in 70 games, has a norris and might be in the running for it again and a goalie who will probably will the vezina, Tampa would still be a top end team. Take McDavid off the Oilers and they are dead last.

Same goes for the norris. It's not about who's the best dman, it's all about who scores the most points. Burns is leading the league in points and will probably get a norris again. Is he the best dman? Not a chance. He's been one of the best point producing dman in the last few years.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #81) [message #734982 is a reply to message #734934 ]
Fri, 05 April 2019 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Kucherov also has a ton of pp points on a very good pp.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #81) [message #734949 is a reply to message #734928 ]
Fri, 05 April 2019 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Fri, 05 April 2019 11:33

Yeah if McDavid wins the Art Ross and doesn't win the Hart last year, there wasn't a chance this year.

As far as wingers go, counting on 2 centers to be wingers with McDavid and a trio of natural centers for by far most of team production tells us everything we need to know there.

Thing is, I don't think Connor gives a crap about the accolades and would trade them all for 2 or 3 Stanleys in his career in less than a heartbeat.

I do think he cares to an extent. He wants to be the best.

All those records the Oilers in the 1980s set were in part because Gretzky knew the record book and wanted to re-write it. There's a great story about Coffey's 8-point night where Coffey scores a few points early, and Gretzky tells them the record for defencemen points in a game and sets the goal of Coffey breaking that record that night (he tied Tom Bladon's 8 points).

I think it does bother him that he's not getting his due, and hurting his chances of leaving a bigger mark on the game because the Oilers management sucks. I think that that's a good thing though. The best players want to be the best players.

Quick question on the chart above...where does Nugent-Hopkins sit on that chart? Can't be too far down that list either...he was in on 30% of the Oilers goals this year...

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #81) [message #734951 is a reply to message #734949 ]
Fri, 05 April 2019 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 05 April 2019 13:37

K.McC#24 wrote on Fri, 05 April 2019 11:33

I do think he cares to an extent. He wants to be the best.

All those records the Oilers in the 1980s set were in part because Gretzky knew the record book and wanted to re-write it. There's a great story about Coffey's 8-point night where Coffey scores a few points early, and Gretzky tells them the record for defencemen points in a game and sets the goal of Coffey breaking that record that night (he tied Tom Bladon's 8 points).

I think it does bother him that he's not getting his due, and hurting his chances of leaving a bigger mark on the game because the Oilers management sucks. I think that that's a good thing though. The best players want to be the best players.

Quick question on the chart above...where does Nugent-Hopkins sit on that chart? Can't be too far down that list either...he was in on 30% of the Oilers goals this year...

Funny to think that individual awards are probably old hat for McDavid already. Probably cares a bit, but I imagine 99% of his personal goals now are about playoff hockey. Maybe a bit more than 1% lately has been about trying to get Drai to 50 to be fair. He really has been sacrificing opportunities for his own points to try to get Drai goals the last week or so.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #81) [message #734947 is a reply to message #734926 ]
Fri, 05 April 2019 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Fri, 05 April 2019 10:05

That's what .930 goaltending will get you. Probably the Oilers only shot at making the playoffs next year.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #81) [message #734948 is a reply to message #734947 ]
Fri, 05 April 2019 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
steve.kreys  is currently offline steve.kreys

No Cups

Only one game left

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #81) [message #734950 is a reply to message #734947 ]
Fri, 05 April 2019 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Fri, 05 April 2019 13:23

Adam wrote on Fri, 05 April 2019 10:05

That's what .930 goaltending will get you. Probably the Oilers only shot at making the playoffs next year.

Uh oh...

https://www.ctvnews.ca/polopoly_fs/1.4263398.1548129959!/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_960/image.jpg

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #81) [message #734955 is a reply to message #734950 ]
Fri, 05 April 2019 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
steve.kreys  is currently offline steve.kreys

No Cups

The more I see Koskinen play the more I get mad at his contract. He is just too slow for the nhl and can not follow the play

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #81) [message #734989 is a reply to message #734926 ]
Fri, 05 April 2019 18:16 Go to previous message

6 Cups

Speaking of McDavid playing with crap wingers, we finally get to say McDavid is junk without Drai now, like we always said Drai is junk without McDavid.

McDavid without Drai 5v5 this year: 39.22% goals for over 554 minutes (pretty good sample size)

Took a while, but we finally killed the depth of this team enough that McDavid gets the kind of guys with him away from Drai that Drai always did away from McDAvid. McDavid officially can't drive a line without Drai :)

[Updated on: Fri, 05 April 2019 18:22]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Previous Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #82)
Next Topic:GDT: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #81)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca