This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #80)Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #80) [message #734701]
Tue, 02 April 2019 21:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
Colorado to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #80) [message #734703 is a reply to message #734701 ]
Tue, 02 April 2019 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Other than not being able to score, a lousy defence and shaky goal tending, this team looks pretty good.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #80) [message #734704 is a reply to message #734701 ]
Tue, 02 April 2019 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

We totally owned Arizona and Minny tonight. Suck it!

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #80) [message #734706 is a reply to message #734704 ]
Tue, 02 April 2019 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 02 April 2019 21:38

Embrace the spoil. Why beat one teams when you can hurt three?

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #80) [message #734707 is a reply to message #734706 ]
Tue, 02 April 2019 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 02 April 2019 21:48

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 02 April 2019 21:38

Embrace the spoil. Why beat one teams when you can hurt three?

Oh nice, yeah, we helped eliminate Chicago too. Arizona not technically eliminated, but they have to win out and hope Colorado gets no more points.

I think we can take credit for all 3 in the end. Like MacT gets 100% credit for the Condor's season.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #80) [message #734710 is a reply to message #734707 ]
Tue, 02 April 2019 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I’m glad the Oilers are now 11 points out. It puts end to this false notion that they’re only 2 or 3 players away from being whatever the Oilers think they might be.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #80) [message #734715 is a reply to message #734710 ]
Tue, 02 April 2019 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 02 April 2019 22:01

I’m glad the Oilers are now 11 points out. It puts end to this false notion that they’re only 2 or 3 players away from being whatever the Oilers think they might be.

So does double digits back of a playoff spot short circuit the narrative that Keith Gretzky really helped this team along and he's earned his spot in the GM's chair?

Or do they basically say the team was going to be eliminated in February if Chiarelli was still there, so he got us a month closer to the playoffs as they anoint him as the chosen one?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #80) [message #734712 is a reply to message #734707 ]
Tue, 02 April 2019 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Quote:

I think we can take credit for all 3 in the end.

Colorado is probably the best of that bunch to go up against the Flames so big win ( loss )

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #80) [message #734713 is a reply to message #734701 ]
Tue, 02 April 2019 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Decent 1st period. 2nd period on, the sieve factor took over. Hope there's a miracle coming out of camp next year between the pipes because this team isn't overcoming terrible goaltending.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #80) [message #734718 is a reply to message #734701 ]
Wed, 03 April 2019 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Holy crap.
Two goalies that can't stop a beach ball. I've never seen a 6'-6"goalie leak so many goals.

Personnel-wise this team is worse than it was last year... regressing.
Malone, Currie, Rattie, Lucic, Chaisson, Rieder, Khaira, Manning, Brodziak, Gambardella, Cave, all AHL speed and skill.

Larsson, Benning, AHL speed

Not looking goo dfor next year.

Goalie was a problem before, looking to be a bigger problem next year after watching that cardboard cutout we have as a goalie lately... one we have for 2 more years at $4.5M

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #80) [message #734719 is a reply to message #734718 ]
Wed, 03 April 2019 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 03 April 2019 00:40

Holy crap.
Two goalies that can't stop a beach ball. I've never seen a 6'-6"goalie leak so many goals.

Malone, Currie, Rattie, Lucic, Chaisson, Rieder, Khaira, Manning, Brodziak, Gambardella, Cave, all AHL speed and skill.

Goalie was a problem before, looking to be a bigger problem next year after watching that cardboard cutout we have as a goalie lately... one we have for 2 more years at $4.5M

Three years.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #80) [message #734720 is a reply to message #734719 ]
Wed, 03 April 2019 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 03 April 2019 00:00

Holy crap.

Three years.

I subconsciously thought this year was a burned contract year, three more years talking about goals that should have been stopped... faint

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #80) [message #734749 is a reply to message #734720 ]
Wed, 03 April 2019 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 03 April 2019 07:03

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 03 April 2019 00:00

Holy crap.

Three years.

I subconsciously thought this year was a burned contract year, three more years talking about goals that should have been stopped... faint

Somebody sent me the stat that of the 16 teams currently in a playoff position, 8 of them have two goalies that have played at least 30 games. Meanwhile Koskinen has played 24 of 25.

There's definitely a shift in how goalies are being used and once again the Oilers are way behind the curve (and going in the opposite direction). It shouldn't, but it continues to amaze me how they can be wrong about everything they do.

[Updated on: Wed, 03 April 2019 10:33]

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #80) [message #734722 is a reply to message #734701 ]
Wed, 03 April 2019 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

I thought it was a good game, the top forward line was amazing after having a crappy first when the other team got 2 goals up, I was like oh no..

Then in the second, what the heck was said in the dressing room?? Our forward lines came alive and ate their goal tender for lunch and spit him out, then they chased him and got the other guy because I guess he was better! NOPE! Haha THEN.... THEN...the other goal tender came back and changed out his blades on his skate... because OF COURSE it was the blade!! Ah man.. 1.2.3.4.5.6....one after the other filled the net.

Playoffs baby!!

Wait.. this isn't an avs forum? Erm.. /trollofff

It was the blades fault that is causing Koskinen to be so wildly out of position.. the blades!!

Crap team insulating 2 100 point players smothering their efforts of pulling this team to the promised land. We are going to be in trouble for a long time...

But hey.. Lucic scored. I wonder what the goal cost out of his salary.. I could look but like the Oilers I can't be bothered.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #80) [message #734726 is a reply to message #734722 ]
Wed, 03 April 2019 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Is it true that Hitchcock took Draisaitl off McDavid's wing?!? Really? Three games left, with Leon sitting on 47 goals, and they pull him off and put him with plugs?

No thanks to Hitch coming back as coach. No more dinosaurs behind the bench, please.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #80) [message #734729 is a reply to message #734726 ]
Wed, 03 April 2019 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
steve.kreys  is currently offline steve.kreys

No Cups

just when you think they can not suck any worse

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #80) [message #734733 is a reply to message #734726 ]
Wed, 03 April 2019 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

He was trying to get Reieder that all important first/last goal by playing him with Leon. Which is more important?
Quote:

Hitchcock took Draisaitl off McDavid's wing

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #80) [message #734734 is a reply to message #734726 ]
Wed, 03 April 2019 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 03 April 2019 09:12

Is it true that Hitchcock took Draisaitl off McDavid's wing?!? Really? Three games left, with Leon sitting on 47 goals, and they pull him off and put him with plugs?

No thanks to Hitch coming back as coach. No more dinosaurs behind the bench, please.

I'm pretty convinced that hitch is punishing Koskinen right now, setting him up for failure. No surprise he would punish drai and McDavid for looking a bit off too after the elimination. It's nice that he doesn't bash players much to the media but he is definitely an old school grump away from the microphones.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #80) [message #734735 is a reply to message #734734 ]
Wed, 03 April 2019 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 03 April 2019 09:27

I'm pretty convinced that hitch is punishing Koskinen right now, setting him up for failure. No surprise he would punish drai and McDavid for looking a bit off too after the elimination. It's nice that he doesn't bash players much to the media but he is definitely an old school grump away from the microphones.

The scary thing with the Oilers is that they have already indicated that A) Hitch is supposed to stay with the team for the next two years after this and B) that he would like to be the head coach still.

His record is below .500, even with the big start the team gave him. The reliance on the top three went up, not down under Hitchcock. The defence has still looked porous, the PK still sucked. Better powerplay, but that's about it.

If I'm in charge, I'm thanking him for his service, giving him a watch and sending him back in to retirement, content to know that five years from now, McDavid will break up a play with a nice backcheck, and some colour guy on HNIC will give credit to Hitchcock for teaching those fundamentals over these last few months (whether he had anything to do with it or not).

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #80) [message #734747 is a reply to message #734735 ]
Wed, 03 April 2019 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 03 April 2019 08:32

The scary thing with the Oilers is that they have already indicated that A) Hitch is supposed to stay with the team for the next two years after this and B) that he would like to be the head coach still.

His record is below .500, even with the big start the team gave him. The reliance on the top three went up, not down under Hitchcock. The defence has still looked porous, the PK still sucked. Better powerplay, but that's about it.

If I'm in charge, I'm thanking him for his service, giving him a watch and sending him back in to retirement, content to know that five years from now, McDavid will break up a play with a nice backcheck, and some colour guy on HNIC will give credit to Hitchcock for teaching those fundamentals over these last few months (whether he had anything to do with it or not).

To be fair, an amalgamation of the spirits of Toe Blake, Al Arbor, Fred Shero, together with combined efforts of Scotty Bowman, Mike Babcock, Gerard Gallant, and Barry Trotz couldn't get that team of donkey meat into the playoffs.
We've been through a multitude of coaches, the problem is on. ice. talent., and the evaluation and procurement of.. aka GM and scouting. We only have a few legit NHL'ers, other than our top guys, team speed is a mismatch most nights. Speed should be at the top of the list for future procurement. Oh well... I'm sure our next GM [fill in blank] should fix this train wreck ... Next year guys! :)

I'm actually hoping McD doesn't play in the world championships. Kid needs a break mentally.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #80) [message #734748 is a reply to message #734747 ]
Wed, 03 April 2019 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 03 April 2019 10:30

Adam wrote on Wed, 03 April 2019 08:32

To be fair, an amalgamation of the spirits of Toe Blake, Al Arbor, Fred Shero, together with combined efforts of Scotty Bowman, Mike Babcock, Gerard Gallant, and Barry Trotz couldn't get that team of donkey meat into the playoffs.
We've been through a multitude of coaches, the problem is on. ice. talent., and the evaluation and procurement of.. aka GM and scouting. We only have a few legit NHL'ers, other than our top guys, team speed is a mismatch most nights. Speed should be at the top of the list for future procurement. Oh well... I'm sure our next GM [fill in blank] should fix this train wreck ... Next year guys! :)

I'm actually hoping McD doesn't play in the world championships. Kid needs a break mentally.

Yeah, he needs 6 weeks on a mostly deserted island somewhere in the south Pacific.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #80) [message #734738 is a reply to message #734734 ]
Wed, 03 April 2019 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

I hear Todd Mclellan might be available. Seriously, I wonder who they will bring in as the head coach for next season.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #80) [message #734742 is a reply to message #734738 ]
Wed, 03 April 2019 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

overdue wrote on Wed, 03 April 2019 09:37

I hear Todd Mclellan might be available. Seriously, I wonder who they will bring in as the head coach for next season.

Considering the candidate has to be drawn out of someone who's had significant Team Canada Olympics experience, I'm thinking Lindy Ruff is the most likely pick. He's been assistant at multiple Olympics, and he's currently just an assistant coach with the Rangers - could there even be a better candidate?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #80) [message #734761 is a reply to message #734742 ]
Wed, 03 April 2019 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 03 April 2019 09:59

overdue wrote on Wed, 03 April 2019 09:37

Considering the candidate has to be drawn out of someone who's had significant Team Canada Olympics experience, I'm thinking Lindy Ruff is the most likely pick. He's been assistant at multiple Olympics, and he's currently just an assistant coach with the Rangers - could there even be a better candidate?

"Lucic in Ruff's doghouse"

Can I work for the Sun now?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #80) [message #734750 is a reply to message #734738 ]
Wed, 03 April 2019 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

overdue wrote on Wed, 03 April 2019 08:37

People were talking Quennville .. but there might be a reason he was bumped out of Chicago, pretty old school. Vignault always looked good to me, he usually got blood out a stone with his teams, his players always like him.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #80) [message #734766 is a reply to message #734750 ]
Wed, 03 April 2019 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 03 April 2019 09:33

overdue wrote on Wed, 03 April 2019 08:37

People were talking Quennville .. but there might be a reason he was bumped out of Chicago, pretty old school. Vignault always looked good to me, he usually got blood out a stone with his teams, his players always like him.

I think the Canucks stain has eroded for me, or maybe having Gagner back has refreshed things. But I'd take Vignault in a heart beat.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #80) [message #734778 is a reply to message #734766 ]
Wed, 03 April 2019 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

nullterm wrote on Wed, 03 April 2019 13:13

I think the Canucks stain has eroded for me, or maybe having Gagner back has refreshed things. But I'd take Vignault in a heart beat.

Quenneville is a winner- Alain got close once.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #80) [message #734782 is a reply to message #734778 ]
Wed, 03 April 2019 18:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Wed, 03 April 2019 16:47

Chiarelli won a cup

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #80) [message #734784 is a reply to message #734782 ]
Wed, 03 April 2019 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 03 April 2019 18:24

Chiarelli won a cup

He won one Cup, and it's become increasingly clear that he simply inherited most of the pieces of that team when he came in. Quenneville has 3 Cups under his belt, so no one can accuse him of being a fluke winner.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #80) [message #734785 is a reply to message #734784 ]
Wed, 03 April 2019 20:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Wed, 03 April 2019 19:35

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 03 April 2019 18:24

Chiarelli won a cup

He won one Cup, and it's become increasingly clear that he simply inherited most of the pieces of that team when he came in. Quenneville has 3 Cups under his belt, so no one can accuse him of being a fluke winner.

Then let’s bring him to Edmonton and see what new and exciting way the Oilers can end a career.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #80) [message #734821 is a reply to message #734785 ]
Thu, 04 April 2019 11:58 Go to previous message

2 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 03 April 2019 20:33

Then let’s bring him to Edmonton and see what new and exciting way the Oilers can end a career.

Nah, I’m good, just pointing out that Quenneville has accomplished a lot more as a coach than Vigneault. Purge the OBC.

5-14-6-1

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #80) [message #734753 is a reply to message #734734 ]
Wed, 03 April 2019 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

To me, it screams management trying to justify a horrible signing. They love to double down on bad decisions and try and prove how smart they were or how there is reason for optimism and how they have better reasoning than anyone else.

If Koskinen has a good final stretch, they get to point to that contract and sell optimism. But if he is scratched then it looks bad. Also looks bad when Koskinen gets lit up every night, but that's probably just because he is not very good.

If there ever was proof of the OBC being involved in the Koskinen extension, them playing him like madness at the end of a meaningless season rather than giving Stolarz a bit of a test is definitely proof positive. They try so hard to will bad decisions into good ones.

[Updated on: Wed, 03 April 2019 11:04]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #80) [message #734755 is a reply to message #734753 ]
Wed, 03 April 2019 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Wed, 03 April 2019 10:37

To me, it screams management trying to justify a horrible signing. They love to double down on bad decisions and try and prove how smart they were or how there is reason for optimism and how they have better reasoning than anyone else.

If Koskinen has a good final stretch, they get to point to that contract and sell optimism. But if he is scratched then it looks bad. Also looks bad when Koskinen gets lit up every night, but that's probably just not very good.

If there ever was proof of the OBC being involved in the Koskinen extension, them playing him like madness at the end of a meaningful season rather than giving Stolarz a bit of a test is definitely proof positive. They try so hard to will bad decisions into good ones.

The problem is that it doesn't even help make the decision look good. Playing an exhausted goalie (I think it's something like 29 of the last 30 games he's started now?) is only likely to give him worse results - which makes it look like a worse decision to start him. It was somewhat defend-able while the Oilers were still in a playoff hunt, even if it was a long shot, as you could say he gives you the best chance to win (although again, that makes trading Talbot look stupid if there's no faith at all in Stolarz even against the worst teams in the league), but with the Oilers eliminated, riding him hard to the finish line is just pointless.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #80) [message #734756 is a reply to message #734755 ]
Wed, 03 April 2019 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 03 April 2019 10:51

If Koskinen has a good final stretch, they get to point to that contract and sell optimism. But if he is scratched then it looks bad. Also looks bad when Koskinen gets lit up every night, but that's probably just not very good.

If there ever was proof of the OBC being involved in the Koskinen extension, them playing him like madness at the end of a meaningful season rather than giving Stolarz a bit of a test is definitely proof positive. They try so hard to will bad decisions into good ones.

The problem is that it doesn't even help make the decision look good. Playing an exhausted goalie (I think it's something like 29 of the last 30 games he's started now?) is only likely to give him worse results - which makes it look like a worse decision to start him. It was somewhat defend-able while the Oilers were still in a playoff hunt, even if it was a long shot, as you could say he gives you the best chance to win (although again, that makes trading Talbot look stupid if there's no faith at all in Stolarz even against the worst teams in the league), but with the Oilers eliminated, riding him hard to the finish line is just pointless.

When did everyone decide Stolarz was so bad he should never get a sniff of game time? He was a perfectly acceptable replacement level back up in his one start against a far superior team.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #80) [message #734757 is a reply to message #734756 ]
Wed, 03 April 2019 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 03 April 2019 10:55

When did everyone decide Stolarz was so bad he should never get a sniff of game time? He was a perfectly acceptable replacement level back up in his one start against a far superior team.

Five appearances with the Oilers, four in relief. 4.00 goals against average and .898 save percentage aren't great.

His numbers with Philly this season aren't a lot better. 3.58 and .901 although in his defence, he's played behind two mediocre teams, and those relief appearances, he's coming in cold behind a demoralized Edmonton team already getting blown out.

Hitchcock certainly doesn't seem to have any faith in him, which isn't a good sign, but you're right. It's pretty hard to know for sure when he doesn't get a sniff.

And the Maple Leafs game saw him save 37 of 40 shots...so maybe he would show something if he actually was given a chance.

Maybe the Oilers just figure since he's never been in the long-term plans, why bother giving him anything...but still, if that just destroys Koskinen's numbers even more (and feeds all those bashing him in the media and on twitter), then maybe they're just shooting themselves in the foot...again.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #80) [message #734758 is a reply to message #734757 ]
Wed, 03 April 2019 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 03 April 2019 11:01

Five appearances with the Oilers, four in relief. 4.00 goals against average and .898 save percentage aren't great.

His numbers with Philly this season aren't a lot better. 3.58 and .901 although in his defence, he's played behind two mediocre teams, and those relief appearances, he's coming in cold behind a demoralized Edmonton team already getting blown out.

Hitchcock certainly doesn't seem to have any faith in him, which isn't a good sign, but you're right. It's pretty hard to know for sure when he doesn't get a sniff.

And the Maple Leafs game saw him save 37 of 40 shots...so maybe he would show something if he actually was given a chance.

Maybe the Oilers just figure since he's never been in the long-term plans, why bother giving him anything...but still, if that just destroys Koskinen's numbers even more (and feeds all those bashing him in the media and on twitter), then maybe they're just shooting themselves in the foot...again.

Oh I"m not saying the Oilers should give him 3 case starts showcasing him, but he's not such a downgrade from Koskinen that playing him on the second night of back to backs after elimination is out of the question. He's probably not the future, and that's fine, but he's here now so use him. Like, what did the Oilers tell him when he came here? "Don't unpack and make sure you get your time in at the gym"?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #80) [message #734760 is a reply to message #734758 ]
Wed, 03 April 2019 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 03 April 2019 11:05

Oh I"m not saying the Oilers should give him 3 case starts showcasing him, but he's not such a downgrade from Koskinen that playing him on the second night of back to backs after elimination is out of the question. He's probably not the future, and that's fine, but he's here now so use him. Like, what did the Oilers tell him when he came here? "Don't unpack and make sure you get your time in at the gym"?

Just the opposite of what they said to Will Acton - "Just stick with the hotel...no need for you to find any other lodging."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #80) [message #734759 is a reply to message #734757 ]
Wed, 03 April 2019 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

It's hard to recall a more meaningless trade than Stolarz for Talbot. That was a trade for activity more than meaning. And the Oilers likely got the worse goalie, though it is hard to tell for sure when neither team will play the guy they traded for.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #80) [message #734787 is a reply to message #734757 ]
Wed, 03 April 2019 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

100% fits the Oilers asset management model. If you were giving Talbot away for nothing, why not keep him?

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #80) [message #734788 is a reply to message #734787 ]
Wed, 03 April 2019 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 03 April 2019 21:28

100% fits the Oilers asset management model. If you were giving Talbot away for nothing, why not keep him?

Didn't we need the cap space to activate Sek? Think that was mainly what that trade was about.

If we didn't get Manning and Petrovic, maybe it's not needed. But...Oilers.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #81)
Next Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #80)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca