This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732477]
Thu, 07 March 2019 03:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final
Score Prediction
Login To Make Your Prediction

Edmonton to win:   0%
Vancouver to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

2018-19 Regular Season
Sunday, December 16, 2018Edmonton 2 @ Vancouver 4Loss
Thursday, December 27, 2018Vancouver 4 @ Edmonton 2Loss
Wednesday, January 16, 2019Edmonton 3 @ Vancouver 2 (OT) (SO)Win
Thursday, March 7, 2019Vancouver 2 @ Edmonton 3Win
Home Record: 1-1-0       Road Record: 1-1-0       Overall Record: 2-2-0
Home / Road Goals For: 5/5 Total: 10
Home / Road Goals Against: 6/6 Total: 12

2017-18 Regular Season
Saturday, October 7, 2017Edmonton 2 @ Vancouver 3Loss
Saturday, January 20, 2018Vancouver 2 @ Edmonton 5Win
Thursday, March 29, 2018Edmonton 1 @ Vancouver 2Loss
Saturday, April 7, 2018Vancouver 2 @ Edmonton 3 (OT) (SO)Win
Home Record: 2-0-0       Road Record: 0-2-0       Overall Record: 2-2-0
Home / Road Goals For: 8/3 Total: 11
Home / Road Goals Against: 4/5 Total: 9

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732479 is a reply to message #732477 ]
Thu, 07 March 2019 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

ORPP!! MOGA!!

Big game. Huge game. Yuge game. For the Oilers playoff hopes. ‘Nucks won in OT last night over the Leafs before travelling to YEG. WEAR THEM DOWN! They played extra hockey last night. No excuses for being the slower team.

LETS GO OILERS!!

I want that ORPP!

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732481 is a reply to message #732479 ]
Thu, 07 March 2019 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh2.0  is currently offline Babaganoosh2.0

No Cups

Minnesota gets Tampa Bay tonight. Good chance if we win were only 5 points back.

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732487 is a reply to message #732479 ]
Thu, 07 March 2019 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 07 March 2019 07:42

ORPP!! MOGA!!

Big game. Huge game. Yuge game. For the Oilers playoff hopes. ‘Nucks won in OT last night over the Leafs before travelling to YEG. WEAR THEM DOWN! They played extra hockey last night. No excuses for being the slower team.

LETS GO OILERS!!

I want that ORPP!

I'm holding you responsible for the Oilers season with MOGA, an abhorrent tag to an abhorrent season. If they don't make the playoffs, the MOGA tag dies? - Deal? If they do, MOGA you heart out and I will stay silent on the issue.

That said.. I do agree with you, it's a big game.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732489 is a reply to message #732487 ]
Thu, 07 March 2019 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Thu, 07 March 2019 10:12

ORPP!! MOGA!!

LETS GO OILERS!!

I want that ORPP!

I'm holding you responsible for the Oilers season with MOGA, an abhorrent tag to an abhorrent season. If they don't make the playoffs, the MOGA tag dies? - Deal? If they do, MOGA you heart out and I will stay silent on the issue.

While not being the hero you necessarily want, perhaps MOGA is the hero we need as MOGA is definitely the hero we deserve.

For your deal. Deep breath... okay. Accepted.

I can’t wait for someone to request a name change via being Survivor champ and I can suggest MOGA. [bath(i)robe, you listening?]

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732499 is a reply to message #732487 ]
Thu, 07 March 2019 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Thu, 07 March 2019 08:12

ORPP!! MOGA!!

LETS GO OILERS!!

I want that ORPP!

MOGA stays to eternity.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732501 is a reply to message #732499 ]
Thu, 07 March 2019 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 07 March 2019 10:31

Rocksteady wrote on Thu, 07 March 2019 08:12

ORPP!! MOGA!!

LETS GO OILERS!!

I want that ORPP!

MOGA stays to eternity.

It’s like people done want the oilers to be great again. Why would anyone not want that?

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732503 is a reply to message #732487 ]
Thu, 07 March 2019 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Thu, 07 March 2019 09:12

ORPP!! MOGA!!

LETS GO OILERS!!

I want that ORPP!

It is interesting - the longer the Trump thing goes, the less funny any of it is. I was sent a MAGA hat by a relative in the States as a joke. It has been in my office, but I basically have had to cover it up, and I'm considering taking it home because it's become a symbol of racism and division. It's just not funny any more.

Happy to see the tag here die for the same reasons.

Now, since this isn't the politics thread - Go Oilers! Canucks suck!

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732505 is a reply to message #732503 ]
Thu, 07 March 2019 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 07 March 2019 11:30

ORPP!! MOGA!!

LETS GO OILERS!!

I want that ORPP!

It is interesting - the longer the Trump thing goes, the less funny any of it is. I was sent a MAGA hat by a relative in the States as a joke. It has been in my office, but I basically have had to cover it up, and I'm considering taking it home because it's become a symbol of racism and division. It's just not funny any more.

Take it to the politics threads.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732509 is a reply to message #732503 ]
Thu, 07 March 2019 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 07 March 2019 12:30

ORPP!! MOGA!!

LETS GO OILERS!!

I want that ORPP!

It’s simply a slogan for those who support the movement to Make the Oilers Great Again, with no association to Trump, Trump idiologoes or Trump accessories.

We have not distributed proaganda in the form of hats, shirts or any other apparel.

Though, if you make it to the ORPP, you may get caught up in a MOGA chant.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732555 is a reply to message #732509 ]
Thu, 07 March 2019 18:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 07 March 2019 12:12

ORPP!! MOGA!!

LETS GO OILERS!!

I want that ORPP!

It’s simply a slogan for those who support the movement to Make the Oilers Great Again, with no association to Trump, Trump idiologoes or Trump accessories.

We have not distributed proaganda in the form of hats, shirts or any other apparel.

You know it’s 2019, right? People get “triggered” over the dumbest things now. We may need “safe thread room” forum in Oilfans now. Great. Thanks gazm...

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732556 is a reply to message #732555 ]
Thu, 07 March 2019 18:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

g2k wrote on Thu, 07 March 2019 19:16

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 07 March 2019 12:12

ORPP!! MOGA!!

LETS GO OILERS!!

I want that ORPP!

You know it’s 2019, right? People get “triggered” over the dumbest things now. We may need “safe thread room” forum in Oilfans now. Great. Thanks gazm...

May have to talk to MJ about renaming that Minors forum also...

I’m 10000% joking about that.

But yes. People get triggered (I’ll admit, I do at times also) by the dumbest things at times.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732494 is a reply to message #732479 ]
Thu, 07 March 2019 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

ORPP!! MOGA!!

LETS GO OILERS!!

I want that ORPP!

When PlusOne offered to host a Playoff Party, the Oilers were at 1.3% chance of making it in.

Now we fast forward to today, and the Oilers are at a 3.5% chance of making it. A regulation win would add another whopping 1.5% to the Oilers chances.

PlusOne, start firing up the grill and putting that Pilsner on ice, not liking your 95% chance of Oilers not making it. You're hosting this thing!

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732530 is a reply to message #732494 ]
Thu, 07 March 2019 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

WhoreableGuy wrote on Thu, 07 March 2019 11:07

ORPP!! MOGA!!

LETS GO OILERS!!

I want that ORPP!

When PlusOne offered to host a Playoff Party, the Oilers were at 1.3% chance of making it in.

Now we fast forward to today, and the Oilers are at a 3.5% chance of making it. A regulation win would add another whopping 1.5% to the Oilers chances.

PlusOne, start firing up the grill and putting that Pilsner on ice, not liking your 95% chance of Oilers not making it. You're hosting this thing!

I havent had a Pilsner in years but I make some wicked whiskey and bourbon cocktails! Perhaps I can concoct one we can dub the MOGA

I will gladly fire up the grill and/or smoker.

If the turnaround started with my offer and they make it you all owe me high five, or a hug, I draw the line at reach arounds.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732533 is a reply to message #732530 ]
Thu, 07 March 2019 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Thu, 07 March 2019 14:45

ORPP!! MOGA!!

LETS GO OILERS!!

I want that ORPP!

I havent had a Pilsner in years but I make some wicked whiskey and bourbon cocktails! Perhaps I can concoct one we can dub the MOGA

If the turnaround started with my offer and they make it you all owe me high five, or a hug, I draw the line at reach arounds.

Make mine a double! :)

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732547 is a reply to message #732533 ]
Thu, 07 March 2019 17:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 07 March 2019 17:02

PlusOne wrote on Thu, 07 March 2019 14:45

ORPP!! MOGA!!

LETS GO OILERS!!

I want that ORPP!

Make mine a double! :)

Double... reach around?? icon_cool

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732549 is a reply to message #732530 ]
Thu, 07 March 2019 17:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Thu, 07 March 2019 16:45

ORPP!! MOGA!!

LETS GO OILERS!!

I want that ORPP!

I’ll drink Adam and Rocksteady’s share of the MOGA! Since they’re not keen on the slogan.

I’ll give you a double high five, a hug, a fist bump, a chest bump, a... headbutt? Sure. Yeah. Also... no reach around!? How about a Dutch rudder at 3am?

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732482 is a reply to message #732477 ]
Thu, 07 March 2019 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Damn annoying crappy teams that try really hard. Hope we can overcome these punks again, but canucks keep giving this team fits.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732484 is a reply to message #732482 ]
Thu, 07 March 2019 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan is currently online RDOilerfan

3 Cups

The Oilers somehow still have a very slight but probably unrealistic chance of making the playoffs. If they want to keep that alive, they HAVE to win this game. Preferably in regulation but they need 2 points.

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732486 is a reply to message #732484 ]
Thu, 07 March 2019 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 07 March 2019 09:28

The Oilers somehow still have a very slight but probably unrealistic chance of making the playoffs. If they want to keep that alive, they HAVE to win this game. Preferably in regulation but they need 2 points.

A game in hand over the Nucks, tied in points and up 1 in ROW on them.

A win tonight is imperative, getting in regulation would be a big check mark as we’re 5 & 8 back in ROW to the teams currently holding the WC spots.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732485 is a reply to message #732482 ]
Thu, 07 March 2019 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 07 March 2019 09:09

Damn annoying crappy teams that try really hard. Hope we can overcome these punks again, but canucks keep giving this team fits.

We saw it in Toronto, we’ve seen it with the Canucks before. Any team that attacks and defends the Oilers with speed is successful against us.

I fully expect Sammy Win to have an extra bounce in his step tonight.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732495 is a reply to message #732482 ]
Thu, 07 March 2019 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 07 March 2019 08:09

Canucks beat the Leafs last night too...currently tied with the Oilers, so losing tonight would be a painful blow to the playoff chances.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732488 is a reply to message #732477 ]
Thu, 07 March 2019 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pseudoreality  is currently offline Pseudoreality

No Cups

Think Ganger has another 8 point night in him?

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732500 is a reply to message #732477 ]
Thu, 07 March 2019 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

No Cups

Just beat the Canucks. For the love of Lemmy, beat these punks.

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732510 is a reply to message #732477 ]
Thu, 07 March 2019 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Oilers instagram putting out that the Boys will be in Blue tonight!!!

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732512 is a reply to message #732510 ]
Thu, 07 March 2019 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

It doesn't appear that Khaira will play tonight. pretty much the same lineup that won that comedy special in Buffalo.

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/preview-oilers-vs-canucks/c- 305532884?tid=282301100

Forwards

"Nugent-Hopkins - McDavid - Kassian

Gagner - Draisaitl - Chiasson

Lucic - Cave - Currie

Rieder - Brodziak - Malone

Defence

Klefbom - Larsson

Nurse - Russell

Sekera - Benning

Goalies

Koskinen

Stolarz"

I hope this game isn't as sloppy as that one in Buffalo, where everyone on the ice looked like amateurs, including the referees. Sure, the Canucks played a late game last night that went to overtime and are hurting bad, but the Oilers have a tradition of being at least a little wobbly in these types of games. They have to bring their "A" game tonight.

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732513 is a reply to message #732512 ]
Thu, 07 March 2019 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Thu, 07 March 2019 12:57

It doesn't appear that Khaira will play tonight. pretty much the same lineup that won that comedy special in Buffalo.

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/preview-oilers-vs-canucks/c- 305532884?tid=282301100

Forwards

Lucic - Cave - Currie

Defence

Klefbom - Larsson

Nurse - Russell

Sekera - Benning

Goalies

Koskinen

Stolarz"

I hope this game isn't as sloppy as that one in Buffalo, where everyone on the ice looked like amateurs, including the referees. Sure, the Canucks played a late game last night that went to overtime and are hurting bad, but the Oilers have a tradition of being at least a little wobbly in these types of games. They have to bring their "A" game tonight.

Happy to see Gagner getting the push, and Draisaitl freed from the Lucic anchor, but I do wonder if there's been a two game stretch in the last three months where we've had the same line combinations. Hitchcock seems just addicted to juggling...both between games and in-games.

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732514 is a reply to message #732513 ]
Thu, 07 March 2019 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 07 March 2019 14:17

GabbyDugan wrote on Thu, 07 March 2019 12:57

Forwards

Lucic - Cave - Currie

Defence

Klefbom - Larsson

Nurse - Russell

Sekera - Benning

Goalies

Koskinen

Stolarz"

Happy to see Gagner getting the push, and Draisaitl freed from the Lucic anchor, but I do wonder if there's been a two game stretch in the last three months where we've had the same line combinations. Hitchcock seems just addicted to juggling...both between games and in-games.

And we complained about the MacT blender

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732524 is a reply to message #732477 ]
Thu, 07 March 2019 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Does Toby Reider Score Tonight?[ 14 vote(s) ]
1.Oh man, I'm laughing so hard it freaking HURTS! 4 / 29%
2.The possibility is so remote that its not even worth voting on 7 / 50%
3.Off Toby's butt, Canucks player, and in! 2 / 14%
4.Empty net! (backhand sauce pass from Leon) 0 / 0%
5.Shorthanded.. fivehole!! 0 / 0%
6.Gets the Hat! 1 / 7%
7.Scores a goal .. on Koskinen!! 0 / 0%

Its Toby prediction time! .. I wonder if Vegas has odds on this?

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732546 is a reply to message #732524 ]
Thu, 07 March 2019 17:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 07 March 2019 16:30

Its Toby prediction time! .. I wonder if Vegas has odds on this?

He gon break out in a BIG WAY and get that HAAAAATTY!

4-2 Oil. LET’S GO OILERS!

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732548 is a reply to message #732477 ]
Thu, 07 March 2019 17:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Just worry about getting back to .500 tonight. Worry about the rest later.

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732551 is a reply to message #732477 ]
Thu, 07 March 2019 17:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Just including this advanced stats snapshot to upset people...

Matt Benning - decent NHL defenceman apparently...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D1ATRiNXcAY6TuE.jpg

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732553 is a reply to message #732551 ]
Thu, 07 March 2019 17:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

2nd best EV D is someone that leaf fans can't run out of town fast enough too, Gardiner. Muzzin is infinitely better so I'm told. Really looking forward to this leafs summer! Hope they lose out in the 1st or 2nd round, but Marner totally outperforms Matthews again.

For Benning, he's an interesting case for sure. He seems to be able to thrive in a 3rd pairing role overall. Still has bad moments, but they don't come often enough to cancel out the body of work he can build. He just seems to struggle higher in the lineup. That's...probably just someone you can expect from someone of his experience though. And he has actually done well on a 2nd pair with Sek, so with a quality veteran partner. I think you keep Benning and see if he can take another step. Right shot certainly helps the argument.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732554 is a reply to message #732553 ]
Thu, 07 March 2019 18:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 07 March 2019 17:54

2nd best EV D is someone that leaf fans can't run out of town fast enough too, Gardiner. Muzzin is infinitely better so I'm told. Really looking forward to this leafs summer! Hope they lose out in the 1st or 2nd round, but Marner totally outperforms Matthews again.

For Benning, he's an interesting case for sure. He seems to be able to thrive in a 3rd pairing role overall. Still has bad moments, but they don't come often enough to cancel out the body of work he can build. He just seems to struggle higher in the lineup. That's...probably just someone you can expect from someone of his experience though. And he has actually done well on a 2nd pair with Sek, so with a quality veteran partner. I think you keep Benning and see if he can take another step. Right shot certainly helps the argument.

I worry that he's still in a cohort that the team decided are a disappointment as a group because none have been stars...everyone else from that group has been liquidated for virtually nothing, so we'll see what happens with him this summer.

He's maybe a good barometer for whether or not anything has changed when the mystery GM is finally unveiled...

https://files.eliteprospects.com/layout/staff/gretzky_keith.jpg

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732557 is a reply to message #732554 ]
Thu, 07 March 2019 18:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 07 March 2019 18:16

I worry that he's still in a cohort that the team decided are a disappointment as a group because none have been stars...everyone else from that group has been liquidated for virtually nothing, so we'll see what happens with him this summer.

He's maybe a good barometer for whether or not anything has changed when the mystery GM is finally unveiled...

Is that Al Bundy?

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732558 is a reply to message #732557 ]
Thu, 07 March 2019 18:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Thu, 07 March 2019 18:22

Is that Al Bundy?

Default face settings from EA's "Be a GM Mode" I believe.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732559 is a reply to message #732554 ]
Thu, 07 March 2019 18:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

I think I'd move him, because a) he's one of the few pieces we can move that has actual trade value and b) it's clear he's a third pairing defenseman and struggles higher up. His contract is a little high for that role.

I wouldn't give him away, but I think you can save a little cap by having Bear or Persson or someone similar play that role for under $1M. Same with Kassian... Currie looks just fine in that 4RW role and you could cut $1.4M off the cap and likely get something of value back in return.

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732560 is a reply to message #732551 ]
Thu, 07 March 2019 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Thu, 07 March 2019 18:45

I took out the image for space....

Can someone explain GAR to me? I have never looked into it much and cant say I understand how it is a measure of how good a player is.

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732561 is a reply to message #732560 ]
Thu, 07 March 2019 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Thu, 07 March 2019 19:28

Can someone explain GAR to me? I have never looked into it much and cant say I understand how it is a measure of how good a player is.

This is what I used to wrap my head around it;

Goals Above Replacement (GAR), which has been used in baseball in various forms, usually called Wins Above Replacement (WAR) for about a decade. It is just now making it’s way to the public sphere of hockey analytics, thanks to Dawson Sprigings (@DTMAboutHeart).

In concept, GAR is a one size fits all number that encapsulates how valuable an individual player is in terms of on-ice play, relative to a ‘replacement level’ player. A replacement level player is a player of a caliber such that they are readily available and can be acquired and played at a moment’s notice. Think along the lines of the players who shuttle waivers every year, or are your emergency callups from the AHL. A replacement level player is one of those. An example would be a player like Byron Froese - a good player in the AHL who becomes very limited at the NHL level.

The first, and most obvious question is, how is GAR calculated? For the full details, I would refer you to Sprigings’ write-up on this. He covers it well, and in non-technical fashion, so I highly recommend you read that first. This piece will not include the mathematical details.

The short version is that player value is decomposed into six categories: even strength offense, even strength defence, power play offense, penalty drawing, penalty taking, and faceoffs. Value is calculated in each of these categories, usually by a regression-based technique, and summed up for each player. The drivers of value change depending on the category. Within even strength offense, the important drivers of value are scoring and shot generation (accounting for shot quality, competition, and teammates). For even strength defense, it’s all about shot suppression, again, accounting for shot quality, competition and teammates. Power play offense is largely about power play production, and the remaining three have obvious drivers.

These are all summed up to get a total value for the player.

https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/platform/amp/2017/6/16/15 774850/advanced-stats-102-what-is-gar-dawson-sprigings-nhl

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #732562 is a reply to message #732561 ]
Thu, 07 March 2019 18:52 Go to previous message

1 Cup

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 07 March 2019 19:47

PlusOne wrote on Thu, 07 March 2019 19:28

This is what I used to wrap my head around it;

Goals Above Replacement (GAR), which has been used in baseball in various forms, usually called Wins Above Replacement (WAR) for about a decade. It is just now making it’s way to the public sphere of hockey analytics, thanks to Dawson Sprigings (@DTMAboutHeart).

In concept, GAR is a one size fits all number that encapsulates how valuable an individual player is in terms of on-ice play, relative to a ‘replacement level’ player. A replacement level player is a player of a caliber such that they are readily available and can be acquired and played at a moment’s notice. Think along the lines of the players who shuttle waivers every year, or are your emergency callups from the AHL. A replacement level player is one of those. An example would be a player like Byron Froese - a good player in the AHL who becomes very limited at the NHL level.

The first, and most obvious question is, how is GAR calculated? For the full details, I would refer you to Sprigings’ write-up on this. He covers it well, and in non-technical fashion, so I highly recommend you read that first. This piece will not include the mathematical details.

The short version is that player value is decomposed into six categories: even strength offense, even strength defence, power play offense, penalty drawing, penalty taking, and faceoffs. Value is calculated in each of these categories, usually by a regression-based technique, and summed up for each player. The drivers of value change depending on the category. Within even strength offense, the important drivers of value are scoring and shot generation (accounting for shot quality, competition, and teammates). For even strength defense, it’s all about shot suppression, again, accounting for shot quality, competition and teammates. Power play offense is largely about power play production, and the remaining three have obvious drivers.

These are all summed up to get a total value for the player.

https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/platform/amp/2017/6/16/15 774850/advanced-stats-102-what-is-gar-dawson-sprigings-nhl

So in this specific example (or all GAR replrts), Benning and all the rest are being given a value based on a comparison to a hypothetical, pre determined "replacement" player?

Previous Topic:GDT: Vancouver @ Edmonton (Game #67)
Next Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #66)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca