This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Terry Jones on Katz vs. Melnyk
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Terry Jones on Katz vs. Melnyk [message #732270]
Mon, 04 March 2019 08:55 Go to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

So Terry Jones did a comparison between Melnyk & Katz this weekend. No surprise, he thinks Katz is better...(even though there's definitely been more on-ice success for the Sens under Melnyk - strangely, that's never actually considered).

Still, Jones, who can carry water with the best of them (as long as he's let in the dressing room to enjoy some delicious donuts), does realize that the Oilers owner has been far from perfect. He points out that the Oilers have been bad, missing the playoffs again and again, but still charge the 5th highest ticket prices in the entire league.

Quote:

This is as good a time as any to deal with the Katz Crisis in Edmonton because that’s what it is.

It’s nothing that winning wouldn’t cure. But other than one year, there’s been no winning. And this year, maybe more than any other, Katz needed winning.

It’s been hard to determine to what degree the blame lay with Katz for his ownership of the Oilers on the ice and in the standings other than to simply point out his hockey club has made the playoffs once since he bought the franchise on June 18, 2008.

You miss the playoffs all those years with all of those first round and No. 1 draft choices and you have to be eligible for blame. Yet I’ve never heard Katz accept any of it. He needs to do that.

No surprise, he thinks that an interview with Katz would go a long way...no doubt, he's thinking he should be the one doing the interviewing...

Quote:

You can call out Katz all you want for his pathetic (win-loss) record as an owner.

But he’s still going to be the owner.

So what does he do?

It would go a long way for the reclusive Katz go public and perhaps confess a few sins and follow up with some acts that deliver a message that maybe he gets it.

But that can't be it, and Jones knows it. There's something missing here. Something that the team needs to do to signal to the fans that they're serious about winning, and that they appreciate the fan support. But what?

Quote:

Paying the price of a ticket is one thing. It’s THEN getting hit for a small fortune for a beer that really hisses people off when the team has a losing record at home and is in NHL Draft Lottery Contention again. An $8 beer would be a welcomed statement.

Oh right...cheap beer. That's the meaningful change we've all been waiting for. doh

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oiler s/jones-fans-cant-compare-daryl-katz-to-eugene-melnyk/wcm/4d ad84eb-d5a7-4ea0-9b63-9c15291a873a

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Terry Jones on Katz vs. Melnyk [message #732271 is a reply to message #732270 ]
Mon, 04 March 2019 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Quote:

It’s been hard to determine to what degree the blame lay with Katz for his ownership of the Oilers on the ice and in the standings

Uh, I dont think it is actually that hard Terry. Seems pretty straightforward to me. He's been the owner for over decade and the City and fans have given him every resource possible. The roster, coaches and GM's have all turned over multiple times. Pretty clear where the blame lies at this point.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Terry Jones on Katz vs. Melnyk [message #732273 is a reply to message #732271 ]
Mon, 04 March 2019 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Mon, 04 March 2019 09:21

Quote:

It’s been hard to determine to what degree the blame lay with Katz for his ownership of the Oilers on the ice and in the standings

Uh, I dont think it is actually that hard Terry. Seems pretty straightforward to me. He's been the owner for over decade and the City and fans have given him every resource possible. The roster, coaches and GM's have all turned over multiple times. Pretty clear where the blame lies at this point.

Remember, no Edmonton columnist or reporter ran any element of the Daryl Katz casting couch drama. They're afraid to be critical of him and they all feel it's their duty to protect Kevin Lowe and friends, so it is just a total mystery to everyone where responsibility might lie.

But a little bit of a break on the price of a beer is probably all we need to be happy, right?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Terry Jones on Katz vs. Melnyk [message #732279 is a reply to message #732273 ]
Mon, 04 March 2019 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Mon, 04 March 2019 08:43

Remember, no Edmonton columnist or reporter ran any element of the Daryl Katz casting couch drama. They're afraid to be critical of him and they all feel it's their duty to protect Kevin Lowe and friends, so it is just a total mystery to everyone where responsibility might lie.

I guess it's expected, but I think it's pretty funny how much they reject the idea that they're not a bunch objective truth-tellers, and if there was anything wrong with Katz's ownership they would be all over it.

From Rishaug's twitter:
Quote:

I hear this mentioned a lot by followers, so I think it's important to address. Our press passes are in no danger of being pulled, no matter how critical we are. That's not how this works. It's not something I've ever even considered or worried about at any point.

https://twitter.com/TSNRyanRishaug/status/109474901407383142 4

Does anyone actually believe that, Ryan? We all saw how quickly Spector turtled after Katz pulled him off the SN broadcast.

Adam wrote on Mon, 04 March 2019 08:43

But a little bit of a break on the price of a beer is probably all we need to be happy, right?

I mean, it worked for Doug Ford.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Terry Jones on Katz vs. Melnyk [message #732272 is a reply to message #732270 ]
Mon, 04 March 2019 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 04 March 2019 08:55

Quote:

Paying the price of a ticket is one thing. It’s THEN getting hit for a small fortune for a beer that really hisses people off when the team has a losing record at home and is in NHL Draft Lottery Contention again. An $8 beer would be a welcomed statement.

Oh right...cheap beer. That's the meaningful change we've all been waiting for. doh

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oiler s/jones-fans-cant-compare-daryl-katz-to-eugene-melnyk/wcm/4d ad84eb-d5a7-4ea0-9b63-9c15291a873a

Well to be fair, the prices at Rogers are abhorrent, but completely in line with other NHL arenas. Opposite to that is deals of the day of specific items you can get in the arena, I visited Tampa last week and they had a packed arena, $10 beer but their deal of the day is 2 decent sized drinks, two hotdogs and two medium popcorn for $10. So a couple going to the game is going to get fed a decent amount of bang for their buck. When was the last time Rogers had a decent sale on food? *crickets*

Food aside, like you Terry thinks he's the only one to "objectively" interview Katz and something of which the Edmonton mainstream media cannot do is be unbiased and hold their feet to the fire. JJ will run out and revoke their press pass before they can say "But.." in calling out a tired narrative.

The culture of the management from the top of the ownership is a echo chamber of yes men who do not have much hockey sense but do have a connection to the past. I do find it interesting to see 99 following the team around a fair bit this year, and besides taking pictures and regaling the stories of yesteryear that should be his only involvement.

I'd love to see Jones talk about the red wine summits..
I'd love to see Jones talk about the continued price hikes in ticket pricing when other teams have stalled ticket prices for the next two years..
I'd love Jones simply submit an article of unbiased Oilers news without tow the bathwater of the organization.

Until then, I'll just read his articles with a sneer.. that is.. if I even bother to read them.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Terry Jones on Katz vs. Melnyk [message #732306 is a reply to message #732272 ]
Mon, 04 March 2019 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Mon, 04 March 2019 09:35

Quote:

Well to be fair, the prices at Rogers are abhorrent, but completely in line with other NHL arenas. Opposite to that is deals of the day of specific items you can get in the arena, I visited Tampa last week and they had a packed arena, $10 beer but their deal of the day is 2 decent sized drinks, two hotdogs and two medium popcorn for $10. So a couple going to the game is going to get fed a decent amount of bang for their buck. When was the last time Rogers had a decent sale on food? *crickets*

Yeah, I think we both will agree it will never happen. OEG wants every nickel they can pick up off the Rogers floor.

This is a team after all, that sells tickets for people to run around in the concourse during playoff games. How pissed would you be if your were a season ticket holder and you have to deal with even more people as you wait in line to piss and grab a beer during intermissions? It’s not fair the the tier ones. It really isn’t though. That’s garbage.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Terry Jones on Katz vs. Melnyk [message #732307 is a reply to message #732306 ]
Mon, 04 March 2019 16:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

g2k wrote on Mon, 04 March 2019 16:11

Quote:

Yeah, I think we both will agree it will never happen. OEG wants every nickel they can pick up off the Rogers floor.

This is a team after all, that sells tickets for people to run around in the concourse during playoff games. How pissed would you be if your were a season ticket holder and you have to deal with even more people as you wait in line to piss and grab a beer during intermissions? It’s not fair the the tier ones. It really isn’t though. That’s garbage.

When was the last time Rogers had decent food period? In Vegas i got a burger from Shake Shack, inside the arena, that was made fresh to order. If a venue is going to charge an arm and a leg because it’s a captive audience I can understand that. And the Oilers aren’t alone there, but why can’t it be a high quality product?

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Terry Jones on Katz vs. Melnyk [message #732394 is a reply to message #732307 ]
Tue, 05 March 2019 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Teammate Avry  is currently offline Teammate Avry

No Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 04 March 2019 16:25

Quote:

When was the last time Rogers had decent food period? In Vegas i got a burger from Shake Shack, inside the arena, that was made fresh to order. If a venue is going to charge an arm and a leg because it’s a captive audience I can understand that. And the Oilers aren’t alone there, but why can’t it be a high quality product?

Going back even to Rexall Place the food was not the best. I've had food at Scotiabank Arena, TD Place in Ottawa and BC Place, and all lap what's been at Rexall/Rogers.

A guy who if you turned into a gumbo is a wild mix of sports podcaster/TV reporter and sports writer.

Re: Terry Jones on Katz vs. Melnyk [message #732402 is a reply to message #732394 ]
Wed, 06 March 2019 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Teammate Avry wrote on Tue, 05 March 2019 22:13

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 04 March 2019 16:25

Quote:

Going back even to Rexall Place the food was not the best. I've had food at Scotiabank Arena, TD Place in Ottawa and BC Place, and all lap what's been at Rexall/Rogers.

But but but Bob’s Burgers!

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Terry Jones on Katz vs. Melnyk [message #732403 is a reply to message #732307 ]
Wed, 06 March 2019 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

The sandwich stand isn't bad. But it's definitely laughable that they went with Pizza 73 in an arena where they pretend to be "luxury". It's barely a step up from Little Caesars. Boston Pizza was pretty good in the pre 2013 Rexall days.

Re: Terry Jones on Katz vs. Melnyk [message #732406 is a reply to message #732403 ]
Wed, 06 March 2019 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

JPro wrote on Wed, 06 March 2019 09:02

The sandwich stand isn't bad. But it's definitely laughable that they went with Pizza 73 in an arena where they pretend to be "luxury". It's barely a step up from Little Caesars. Boston Pizza was pretty good in the pre 2013 Rexall days.

Likely put out the Pizza contract to vendors, with 73 being the highest/most lucrative bidder(?) perhaps. Would think they'd maybe go something local, like Royal Pizza or something. I dunno, pizza wise there are SOOO many better options than Pizza 73, though you're right it is (barely) a step up from Little Caesars.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Terry Jones on Katz vs. Melnyk [message #732407 is a reply to message #732406 ]
Wed, 06 March 2019 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 06 March 2019 08:42

Likely put out the Pizza contract to vendors, with 73 being the highest/most lucrative bidder(?) perhaps. Would think they'd maybe go something local, like Royal Pizza or something. I dunno, pizza wise there are SOOO many better options than Pizza 73, though you're right it is (barely) a step up from Little Caesars.

I'd rather have Little Caesars than 73 except for the relationship with the Red Wings, but that's a personal choice for me on the low end of chain pizza. Imagine if Famosa got the contract. Ah well, money is money.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Terry Jones on Katz vs. Melnyk [message #732409 is a reply to message #732407 ]
Wed, 06 March 2019 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 06 March 2019 09:48

I'd rather have Little Caesars than 73 except for the relationship with the Red Wings, but that's a personal choice for me on the low end of chain pizza. Imagine if Famosa got the contract. Ah well, money is money.

Famosa, especially for chain, is good pizza. Caesars hasn’t ever agreed with me haha... though I don’t fare much better from 73.

On the topic of chain pizza joints, is it just me or is the Hut the worst? Overpriced, oily, tasteless junk. Personally rather have Caesars or 73 before Pizza Hut.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Terry Jones on Katz vs. Melnyk [message #732411 is a reply to message #732409 ]
Wed, 06 March 2019 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 06 March 2019 09:03

Famosa, especially for chain, is good pizza. Caesars hasn’t ever agreed with me haha... though I don’t fare much better from 73.

On the topic of chain pizza joints, is it just me or is the Hut the worst? Overpriced, oily, tasteless junk. Personally rather have Caesars or 73 before Pizza Hut.

I put the Hut just ahead of 73 and Caesars. It is oily, but when it's crispy it's good. It also might be 1993 nostalgia. When that place came to Sherwood Park there were line ups like you wouldn't believe.

[Updated on: Wed, 06 March 2019 09:11]

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Terry Jones on Katz vs. Melnyk [message #732414 is a reply to message #732411 ]
Wed, 06 March 2019 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 06 March 2019 10:07

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 06 March 2019 09:03

I put the Hut just ahead of 73 and Caesars. It is oily, but when it's crispy it's good. It also might be 1993 nostalgia. When that place came to Sherwood Park there were line ups like you wouldn't believe.

Sounds like a couple years ago when Taco Bell opened their first shop in Stoon hahaha man lineups down the street, it was absurd. I mean I love tacos as much as any guy, maybe even more, but it was a bit much.

You may be right re: nostalgia when it comes to the Hut. Growing up it was a ‘treat’ when dad brought Pizza Hut home. I do enjoy their stuffed crust.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Terry Jones on Katz vs. Melnyk [message #732418 is a reply to message #732406 ]
Wed, 06 March 2019 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

Aren't Pizza 73, Boston Pizza, and Royal Pizza all founded in Edmonton?

I do think it would have been cool to have all the concessions (or at least an area of the arena) that showcased the best of Edmonton, like a stand for the Italian Bakery, a stand for Tres Carnales, etc.

Right now, my go-to and I think best bang for the buck is the Pyrogy Nachos from the Molson Fan Deck.

Re: Terry Jones on Katz vs. Melnyk [message #732420 is a reply to message #732418 ]
Wed, 06 March 2019 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Wed, 06 March 2019 09:49

I do think it would have been cool to have all the concessions (or at least an area of the arena) that showcased the best of Edmonton, like a stand for the Italian Bakery, a stand for Tres Carnales, etc.

Right now, my go-to and I think best bang for the buck is the Pyrogy Nachos from the Molson Fan Deck.

This is a great idea... that would never fly. Imagine being able to get an italian sub or barb and ernie's schnitzel or Donair Stop donair at the game though. Ah well.

Re: Terry Jones on Katz vs. Melnyk [message #732424 is a reply to message #732418 ]
Wed, 06 March 2019 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

The issue with food is that the Oilers decided that they could make more money controlling all the concessions with a single vendor than they could leasing out to many vendors. It's better for the Oilers, but not for the fans.

I will say, Terry Jones has accomplished what the Oilers wanted him to do with this...the discussion has evolved from how crappy the Oilers are under Katz to how the food options aren't that great, despite being expensive. Maybe Katz can appease the fan base with a price cut on beer and free popcorn for the first 500 guests...

Re: Terry Jones on Katz vs. Melnyk [message #732426 is a reply to message #732424 ]
Wed, 06 March 2019 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 06 March 2019 11:04

The issue with food is that the Oilers decided that they could make more money controlling all the concessions with a single vendor than they could leasing out to many vendors. It's better for the Oilers, but not for the fans.

I will say, Terry Jones has accomplished what the Oilers wanted him to do with this...the discussion has evolved from how crappy the Oilers are under Katz to how the food options aren't that great, despite being expensive. Maybe Katz can appease the fan base with a price cut on beer and free popcorn for the first 500 guests...

Free (small) popcorn on fan appreciation night. Yay!

Re: Terry Jones on Katz vs. Melnyk [message #732427 is a reply to message #732426 ]
Wed, 06 March 2019 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 06 March 2019 11:13

I can shed a little light on their processes. This is 2nd hand info but, unlike other big companies that would put this sort of thing out to tender, my understanding is EOG only contacts a couple potential vendors and then chooses between them. If you think about how they hire coaches and GMs this shouldn't come as much of a surprise.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Terry Jones on Katz vs. Melnyk [message #732432 is a reply to message #732427 ]
Wed, 06 March 2019 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 06 March 2019 11:19

I can shed a little light on their processes. This is 2nd hand info but, unlike other big companies that would put this sort of thing out to tender, my understanding is EOG only contacts a couple potential vendors and then chooses between them. If you think about how they hire coaches and GMs this shouldn't come as much of a surprise.

Didn't they hire a big management company that was supposed to run things for them?

Re: Terry Jones on Katz vs. Melnyk [message #732436 is a reply to message #732432 ]
Wed, 06 March 2019 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Wed, 06 March 2019 11:49

Didn't they hire a big management company that was supposed to run things for them?

Yes. Aramark provides the catering. That doesn’t mean that they chose the specific outlets or designed the recipe for the Bobby Nicks burger. For those who don’t know Aramark they are a large scale catering company. Hospitals, schools, prisons. They serve something like a million inmates every day in the states.

Re: Terry Jones on Katz vs. Melnyk [message #732438 is a reply to message #732436 ]
Wed, 06 March 2019 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 06 March 2019 13:00

Yes. Aramark provides the catering. That doesn’t mean that they chose the specific outlets or designed the recipe for the Bobby Nicks burger. For those who don’t know Aramark they are a large scale catering company. Hospitals, schools, prisons. They serve something like a million inmates every day in the states.

Ha. Makes sense...

"Gladys, I think we sent the San Quentin order to Rogers."
"No big deal Martha, happens all the time. The only difference is the ingredients for this Bob Burger or whatever they call it."

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Terry Jones on Katz vs. Melnyk [message #732439 is a reply to message #732436 ]
Wed, 06 March 2019 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 06 March 2019 12:00

Adam wrote on Wed, 06 March 2019 11:49

Aramark is the catering company, but I thought they hired AEG or someone like that initially to manage the whole thing?

[Updated on: Wed, 06 March 2019 12:19]

Re: Terry Jones on Katz vs. Melnyk [message #732442 is a reply to message #732439 ]
Wed, 06 March 2019 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 06 March 2019 13:14

Aramark is the catering company, but I thought they hired AEG or someone like that initially to manage the whole thing?

They were brought on to advise on the entire development of the downtown entertainment and sports district (Ice District).

Edmonton, December 3, 2009 – The Katz Group of companies has engaged AEG Development and AEG Facilities to advise on all aspects of the development of a new entertainment and sports district in downtown Edmonton.

AEG Development and AEG Facilities are divisions of AEG (www.aegworldwide.com), one of the world’s leading sports and entertainment companies. In addition to owning and operating a host of sports and entertainment franchises and facilities, AEG is overseeing the final development stages of L.A. LIVE, a 4 million square foot, $2.5 billion sports, residential and entertainment district in downtown Los Angeles adjacent to the company’s STAPLES Center arena. AEG has also been a key player in developing The O2, a 28-acre development in London (UK) which includes a 20,000-seat arena and over 650,000 square feet of leisure, retail, hospitality, exhibition and entertainment facilities.

“AEG is an ideal partner to help us make a new downtown entertainment and sports district a reality for Edmonton,” said Daryl Katz, Chairman of the Katz Group. “They have had great success developing and operating world-class sports and entertainment-based urban revitalization projects. Their experience, relationships and end-to-end development capabilities will be a benefit to the project and the broader community.”

AEG will work closely with Katz Group to further define the project’s scope, programming and development team, and will provide ongoing project management and oversight. AEG’s capabilities include all phases of the development process, including planning, feasibility analysis, entitlements, design, leasing, construction and facility operations.

“We recognize Edmonton’s potential and believe very strongly in the opportunity for a new arena to serve as the cornerstone of a major downtown entertainment district and a revitalized urban core,” said Ted Tanner, Executive Vice President, AEG Worldwide. “We look forward to working closely with the Katz Group, the City of Edmonton and all of the many other stakeholders whose support and involvement will be critical to the success of this very exciting initiative.”

“This new Edmonton project is destined to not only become one of the world’s most unique sports and entertainment destinations but one of the premier projects to revitalize a capitol market’s downtown district,” said Bob Newman, AEG Facilities Chief Operating Officer. “We are honored to have the opportunity to combine the resources and experience of our organization with the assets brought to this project by the Katz Group and all local community stakeholders to create this groundbreaking development. On behalf of AEG, we appreciate your confidence in selecting our company and, ‘we won’t let you down’.”

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/katz-group-engages-aeg-to-ad vise-on-development-of-downtown-entertainment-and-sports-dis trict/c-508486

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Terry Jones on Katz vs. Melnyk [message #732444 is a reply to message #732442 ]
Wed, 06 March 2019 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 06 March 2019 12:27

They were brought on to advise on the entire development of the downtown entertainment and sports district (Ice District).

Edmonton, December 3, 2009 – The Katz Group of companies has engaged AEG Development and AEG Facilities to advise on all aspects of the development of a new entertainment and sports district in downtown Edmonton.

AEG Development and AEG Facilities are divisions of AEG (www.aegworldwide.com), one of the world’s leading sports and entertainment companies. In addition to owning and operating a host of sports and entertainment franchises and facilities, AEG is overseeing the final development stages of L.A. LIVE, a 4 million square foot, $2.5 billion sports, residential and entertainment district in downtown Los Angeles adjacent to the company’s STAPLES Center arena. AEG has also been a key player in developing The O2, a 28-acre development in London (UK) which includes a 20,000-seat arena and over 650,000 square feet of leisure, retail, hospitality, exhibition and entertainment facilities.

“AEG is an ideal partner to help us make a new downtown entertainment and sports district a reality for Edmonton,” said Daryl Katz, Chairman of the Katz Group. “They have had great success developing and operating world-class sports and entertainment-based urban revitalization projects. Their experience, relationships and end-to-end development capabilities will be a benefit to the project and the broader community.”

AEG will work closely with Katz Group to further define the project’s scope, programming and development team, and will provide ongoing project management and oversight. AEG’s capabilities include all phases of the development process, including planning, feasibility analysis, entitlements, design, leasing, construction and facility operations.

“We recognize Edmonton’s potential and believe very strongly in the opportunity for a new arena to serve as the cornerstone of a major downtown entertainment district and a revitalized urban core,” said Ted Tanner, Executive Vice President, AEG Worldwide. “We look forward to working closely with the Katz Group, the City of Edmonton and all of the many other stakeholders whose support and involvement will be critical to the success of this very exciting initiative.”

“This new Edmonton project is destined to not only become one of the world’s most unique sports and entertainment destinations but one of the premier projects to revitalize a capitol market’s downtown district,” said Bob Newman, AEG Facilities Chief Operating Officer. “We are honored to have the opportunity to combine the resources and experience of our organization with the assets brought to this project by the Katz Group and all local community stakeholders to create this groundbreaking development. On behalf of AEG, we appreciate your confidence in selecting our company and, ‘we won’t let you down’.”

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/katz-group-engages-aeg-to-ad vise-on-development-of-downtown-entertainment-and-sports-dis trict/c-508486

Hmmm...maybe they were only advisors and are now long gone.

Somehow, I bet that Staples Centre is better run...(although I've never been there so don't know for sure!)

Re: Terry Jones on Katz vs. Melnyk [message #732447 is a reply to message #732444 ]
Wed, 06 March 2019 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 06 March 2019 13:41

Hmmm...maybe they were only advisors and are now long gone.

Somehow, I bet that Staples Centre is better run...(although I've never been there so don't know for sure!)

I mean, their concessions seem legit.
https://www.staplescenter.com/guest-services/main-concourse- concessions

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Terry Jones on Katz vs. Melnyk [message #732458 is a reply to message #732447 ]
Wed, 06 March 2019 13:44 Go to previous message

6 Cups

SCENE - an office in the Bell Tower, a few short years ago. AEG Executives presenting to Katz, Lowe, Nicholson and others.

Presenter - So on the concourse, we will have all these concessions. We can get all kinds of different restaurants - some original one-offs, some chains - to give the customer a high level of choice and really high quality food! Unless of course, you just want to give them overpriced prison gruel named after your executive team...HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Nicholson - tell me more about this prison gruel.

Katz - That idea sounds like GOLD to me.

Lowe - Now...what should we name that burger?

Re: Terry Jones on Katz vs. Melnyk [message #732452 is a reply to message #732442 ]
Wed, 06 March 2019 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Just a clarification, AEG is not Aramark. The two companies are completely separate entities.

Re: Terry Jones on Katz vs. Melnyk [message #732437 is a reply to message #732418 ]
Wed, 06 March 2019 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Wed, 06 March 2019 10:49

Hm, you're right! I didn't know 73 was founded in Edmonton, interesting!

Those Pyrogy Nachos are pretty dang good.

I think they'd need a more local catering company to achieve something that really makes the concessions 'special' to Edmonton. Even if they just do like a food truck style of event featuring local YEG restaurants at one end of the concourse or something.

I dunno. Speaks volumes to the on-ice product that we get to watch when we sit an talk about the quality and pricing of concessions at Rogers. How 'bout this playoff run, eh?

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Terry Jones on Katz vs. Melnyk [message #732311 is a reply to message #732306 ]
Mon, 04 March 2019 17:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Quote:

Although if they iced a good hockey team, I think the market would willing to put up with a lot of profit seeking activities. The team is much more mercenary than it used to be and it does seem like there's less community involvement than ever, but all those things aren't that important if the team wins...

The problem of course is that they suck. Constantly. No matter who's on the team.

Re: Terry Jones on Katz vs. Melnyk [message #732282 is a reply to message #732270 ]
Mon, 04 March 2019 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve  is currently offline Steve

No Cups

Katz vs. Melnyk? That's really tough. Katz has been forever-bad, but Melnyk only started his downward trajectory the last few years. It's going to continue that way though. Melnyk has money troubles and he is burning the Sens down to a cap floor team. He's making it impossible for the Sens to be contenders. All their young talent will want to skip town when they get crap contract offers to play for a crap team.

As long as Katz keeps the money flowing, I would prefer him to Melnyk. At least there is a potential for getting lucky 1 year in 15.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Re: Terry Jones on Katz vs. Melnyk [message #732285 is a reply to message #732282 ]
Mon, 04 March 2019 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

When it comes to comparing the 2. I would take Katz all day long.

While I 100% agree Katz has not done a good job as an owner of a pro hockey team. So far he hasn't made good decisions on the people he has hired to handle his team and help make them a winner. No debating that. But in my opinion, he's not doing things to openly hurt the team on purpose. He's just made a lot of mistakes and hasn't let go of guys when he should have. All of the problems he has created are 100% results related. They aren't winning enough. If good people are put in place, this team can turn things around quickly just by winning games.

I can't say the same about Melnyk. He's doing things that hurt the team that aren't related solely to the results on the ice. He's alienating his best players to the point they don't want anything to do with him or the team. We can complain about how Katz holds on to the past hero's of the team too much but at least he's not alienating franchise hero's like Melnyk did with Alfredsson. He's alienating his fan base to the point they hate him. Now he is pissing off his City to the point the mayor is toxic towards him, singling him out as the problem when they are trying to build a franchise saving new rink. He's causing MAJOR problems.

Re: Terry Jones on Katz vs. Melnyk [message #732291 is a reply to message #732282 ]
Mon, 04 March 2019 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pseudoreality  is currently offline Pseudoreality

No Cups

Steve wrote on Mon, 04 March 2019 10:42

As long as Katz keeps the money flowing, I would prefer him to Melnyk. At least there is a potential for getting lucky 1 year in 15.

See I think money is part of the problem. There is no reason why this team should be right up against the cap and be in the bottom of the standings year after year. It really doesn't cost that much to lose. Arizona can seem to be able to lose for a lot less money. The team should have a budget. That would enable to be more flexible and not be stuck with as much dead weight. Pay players what they deserve, not what you expect of their potential. If the team starts winning, like back to back 2nd round playoffs, then the budget can be increased. Having room in the budget is what worked for the team in 2004.

Re: Terry Jones on Katz vs. Melnyk [message #732293 is a reply to message #732291 ]
Mon, 04 March 2019 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Pseudoreality wrote on Mon, 04 March 2019 14:49

Pay players what they deserve, not what you expect of their potential.

I think the "what the deserve part is tough" A player cant ONLY be paid for past or event current production.

You have to be able to evaluate the future production and value to the team when offering a contract.

As far as Katz and his money. There should be no limitations on elite scouting, coaching and management. There is no cap on that.
Player salaries are what they are, you have to manage them properly but there is a cap. Having an owner willing to spend VS someone like Melnyk should give an edge in the off ice abilities of a team and to me this is the biggest place Katz and the Oilers fail.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Terry Jones on Katz vs. Melnyk [message #732296 is a reply to message #732291 ]
Mon, 04 March 2019 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Pseudoreality wrote on Mon, 04 March 2019 13:49

See I think money is part of the problem. There is no reason why this team should be right up against the cap and be in the bottom of the standings year after year. It really doesn't cost that much to lose. Arizona can seem to be able to lose for a lot less money. The team should have a budget. That would enable to be more flexible and not be stuck with as much dead weight. Pay players what they deserve, not what you expect of their potential. If the team starts winning, like back to back 2nd round playoffs, then the budget can be increased. Having room in the budget is what worked for the team in 2004.

The staggering thing is that the Oilers under Daryl Katz have the worst record of any team in the league in that time, and they've spent close to the cap every year. I think last year was probably the furthest they were from the cap.

We are the least efficient team with money in the league, although all of that comes back to bad management. Guys who don't know what they're doing believe they can spend their way out of the problem...

Eventually they do HAVE to spend their way out of the problems, because agents identify the weakness and demand a premium if their clients are coming to Edmonton.

Re: Terry Jones on Katz vs. Melnyk [message #732297 is a reply to message #732296 ]
Mon, 04 March 2019 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 04 March 2019 14:48

The staggering thing is that the Oilers under Daryl Katz have the worst record of any team in the league in that time, and they've spent close to the cap every year. I think last year was probably the furthest they were from the cap.

We are the least efficient team with money in the league, although all of that comes back to bad management. Guys who don't know what they're doing believe they can spend their way out of the problem...

Eventually they do HAVE to spend their way out of the problems, because agents identify the weakness and demand a premium if their clients are coming to Edmonton.

But, what about Oielrs' corp income to NHL player spending?

Shinny new 1st overall's are cheap and generate a lot of gate revenue!

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Terry Jones on Katz vs. Melnyk [message #732298 is a reply to message #732297 ]
Mon, 04 March 2019 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Mon, 04 March 2019 14:50

Adam wrote on Mon, 04 March 2019 14:48

But, what about Oielrs' corp income to NHL player spending?

Shinny new 1st overall's are cheap and generate a lot of gate revenue!

That's the thing - they've wasted all the cheap contracts. It doesn't matter if you have those guys dirt cheap if you're paying top dollar to Nikita Nikitin and Eric Belanger and Andrew Ference and Cam Barker. The team has spent to the cap again and again and again...they haven't maxed out their earnings ever...they could achieve these results with a team that costs $15-20MM less every year. And if they ever made the playoffs, they would make more yet.

I don't think the financial performance of the Oilers is a big motivator for Katz, because if they were, he'd have either cut costs dramatically before now, or demanded competence from his front office. Maybe even both.

Worth remembering that through the last decade that Sather was here, with no salary cap and little money to spare, the team made the playoffs more often than not. A few less teams in the league made that easier, but the team was generally competitive, even when playing teams with three times the payroll. Under Katz, we have done worse than low budget teams like Arizona or Buffalo or Florida...

Re: Terry Jones on Katz vs. Melnyk [message #732309 is a reply to message #732270 ]
Mon, 04 March 2019 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Quote:

I think money is part of the problem

I remember thinking things were going to be great from now on when sugar daddy Katz bought the team because money would no longer be an issue and the team would thrive. Wrong ! You actually have to manage cap space and you're player assets and the team building part of the organization properly to make the money part work for you. Fail in all areas. Loved the way Sather could pull it off with low budget teams. The only way things will change is if Katz gets serious about taking a run at a Stanley Cup. You can't buy the players to do it but you can spend wisely on the management/coaching/ scouting staff to help make it a reality. He has a cash cow here and doesn't seem to be all that engaged in making it happen. Have to admit though, whoever is in charge of the farm system is doing a good job right now.

Re: Terry Jones on Katz vs. Melnyk [message #732330 is a reply to message #732270 ]
Mon, 04 March 2019 19:01 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

Are you kidding me? He thinks the reason I'm angry at the Oilers is because the beer is too expensive.

Sorry, Terry. #NotMyCorrespondent

He's out of touch, but he also blocked me on Twitter, so I guess he doesn't like dissenting voices.

FWIW - I think Melnyk is actually a worse owner. Katz has yet to throw his franchise player under the bus, and the Oilers location agreement has given long-term stability. But as far as on-ice success, there's not many (any?) worse than Katz.

Previous Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #66)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Buffalo (Game #66)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca