This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #64)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #64) [message #732103]
Thu, 28 February 2019 20:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
Ottawa to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #64) [message #732104 is a reply to message #732103 ]
Thu, 28 February 2019 20:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

woohoo

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #64) [message #732105 is a reply to message #732104 ]
Thu, 28 February 2019 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

g2k wrote on Thu, 28 February 2019 20:04

woohoo

Offside on the last goal?

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #64) [message #732108 is a reply to message #732105 ]
Thu, 28 February 2019 20:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

stemhovlichski wrote on Thu, 28 February 2019 20:10

woohoo

I thought so, too. Nice break for the Oilers.

It was good to see some secondary scoring. Replacing Brodziak with Sam Gagner was the right move, at least for tonight. Will be interesting to see if the same works in Columbus Saturday afternoon.

Matt Benning was +3. We need the advanced stats crowd to explain how this was just another poor performance from Benning.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #64) [message #732110 is a reply to message #732108 ]
Thu, 28 February 2019 20:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Thu, 28 February 2019 20:24

woohoo

It was good to see some secondary scoring. Replacing Brodziak with Sam Gagner was the right move, at least for tonight. Will be interesting to see if the same works in Columbus Saturday afternoon.

Matt Benning was +3. We need the advanced stats crowd to explain how this was just another poor performance from Benning.

Do the advanced stats guys hate Benning? I thought it was eye test guys that hate him?

I think there's an NHL player there - just a third pairing guy ideally who maybe gets a little PP2 time.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #64) [message #732123 is a reply to message #732110 ]
Fri, 01 March 2019 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 28 February 2019 20:27

GabbyDugan wrote on Thu, 28 February 2019 20:24

woohoo

Do the advanced stats guys hate Benning? I thought it was eye test guys that hate him?

I think there's an NHL player there - just a third pairing guy ideally who maybe gets a little PP2 time.

Advanced stats guys like Lowetide love Benning. Lowetide even thinks he can be a second pairing guy. I don't see it. Benning to me is a 3rd pairing guy who when he is on his game can do lots of things OK but doesn't do anything overly good.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #64) [message #732136 is a reply to message #732110 ]
Fri, 01 March 2019 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 28 February 2019 20:27

You do? Eye test guy here and he's been on a back slide for a while now. I look to other teams and think could Benning survive there or be sent to waivers? I bet 28 of the 32 teams would put him on waivers (that includes the Seattle team).

I think he has a spot on the Canucks and Oilers, but any team circling the drain would still not have that guy in their bottom pairing. He's a liability most times on the ice with his weak a** poke checks on the opposition, his proximity to the play - just awful.

He's only on this team because there is no one else.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #64) [message #732112 is a reply to message #732104 ]
Thu, 28 February 2019 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

No Cups

g2k wrote on Thu, 28 February 2019 19:04

woohoo

Will the Sens ever pick a new goal song? Or does the Canadian Tire Centre DJ only have Much Music's Big Shiny Tunes 2 on compact disk? (Purchased from the checkout lane impulse items at Canadian Tire)

Bob Marley and the (Hartford) Wailers.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #64) [message #732119 is a reply to message #732112 ]
Thu, 28 February 2019 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

Xombie wrote on Thu, 28 February 2019 20:58

g2k wrote on Thu, 28 February 2019 19:04

woohoo

Will the Sens ever pick a new goal song? Or does the Canadian Tire Centre DJ only have Much Music's Big Shiny Tunes 2 on compact disk? (Purchased from the checkout lane impulse items at Canadian Tire)

They played Cotton Eyed Joe too! It's totally Big Shiny Tunes!!! Like being at Skyreach.

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #64) [message #732107 is a reply to message #732103 ]
Thu, 28 February 2019 20:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Koskinen with 35 saves and enough melt downs by the Oilers when they had the lead in the third to make it interesting. Just 2 points back of the Canucks for 12th in the conference!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #64) [message #732114 is a reply to message #732103 ]
Thu, 28 February 2019 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Every two points matters. If we lose the draft lottery to Ottawa a lot of people will look back at this game as the reason why.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #64) [message #732115 is a reply to message #732114 ]
Thu, 28 February 2019 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

*Colorado

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #64) [message #732120 is a reply to message #732103 ]
Thu, 28 February 2019 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Gretzky's face after giving that picture and the dad just ignoring him after it was taken was the real highlight of the night

https://i.imgur.com/ZD93b6w.jpg

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #64) [message #732122 is a reply to message #732120 ]
Fri, 01 March 2019 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

The dad did shake his hand though. It looked to me like Gretzky’s face only turned sour when he turned back to the tire-fire of a team we have. At that point in the game the Oilers hadn’t woken up yet.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #64) [message #732132 is a reply to message #732122 ]
Fri, 01 March 2019 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

welcometotheOC wrote on Fri, 01 March 2019 07:58

The dad did shake his hand though. It looked to me like Gretzky’s face only turned sour when he turned back to the tire-fire of a team we have. At that point in the game the Oilers hadn’t woken up yet.

shakes someone elses hand after

https://i.imgur.com/7hAGml7.gif

Picture taken. Gretzky looks over, dude doesn't even acknowledge Gretzky's existance anymore. Sour face :)

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #64) [message #732154 is a reply to message #732132 ]
Fri, 01 March 2019 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

Ah, ok I missed that! Was just going by my bad memory! Sorry!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #64) [message #732155 is a reply to message #732154 ]
Fri, 01 March 2019 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

welcometotheOC wrote on Fri, 01 March 2019 13:17

Ah, ok I missed that! Was just going by my bad memory! Sorry!

No need to apologize :) I would for trying to create a whole story out of a 3 second shot of Gretzky, but it's all in the name of trying to find something entertaining about this terrible team :)

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #64) [message #732162 is a reply to message #732120 ]
Fri, 01 March 2019 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 28 February 2019 23:44

Gretzky's face after giving that picture and the dad just ignoring him after it was taken was the real highlight of the night

https://i.imgur.com/ZD93b6w.jpg

Caught that too. Rewound a few times to watch last night.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #64) [message #732124 is a reply to message #732103 ]
Fri, 01 March 2019 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Boucher just got terminated by the Sens. The loss to the Oilers was the final straw.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #64) [message #732126 is a reply to message #732124 ]
Fri, 01 March 2019 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

So losing to the Oilers has become the measuring stick for how bad you're team is playing?Another low point in the agonizing life of an Oiler fan!
Quote:

Boucher just got terminated by the Sens. The loss to the Oilers was the final straw.

[Updated on: Fri, 01 March 2019 08:34]

I Re: Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #64) [message #732125 is a reply to message #732103 ]
Fri, 01 March 2019 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve  is currently offline Steve

No Cups

I was at the game. My evaluation:

- both teams are bad.

- Oscar deserves an Oscar for that perfectly timed dive.

- Lucic looked really good with Cave, but I don't understand why the coach switched up the lines. It's seemed like the blender was on for every shift during the 2nd....when they were winning....weird.

- The Oilers got lucky and had the refs on their side tonight. A rare combo, and I'm not sure they would have won without it.

- Ottawa is a tire-fire. The Oilers were tired and didn't put in a full effort, but still made the Sens look bad. I like that Colin White kid though. He's going to turn into something.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Re: I Re: Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #64) [message #732127 is a reply to message #732125 ]
Fri, 01 March 2019 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I have liked Cave's game. He is really playing well. Finally got his first goal. He's over 52% at faceoffs. I think he is slotted a bit high as the 3rd line center but he has decent size, skates really well, shows some skill. I could maybe see him has the 4th line center next season assuming Brodziak.

I have liked Currie's game. 3 points in 6 games, 2 last night. Small sample size but who knows, maybe they have found themselves a bottom 6 player.

I have liked Gagner's game. 3 goals in 7 games. His skating isn't great but he's got lots of skill. Put him with some speedy guys and maybe he could be a decent bottom 6 guy that can chip in some offense. Maybe give you some second PP unit help.

Re: I Re: Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #64) [message #732129 is a reply to message #732127 ]
Fri, 01 March 2019 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 01 March 2019 08:38

I have liked Cave's game. He is really playing well. Finally got his first goal. He's over 52% at faceoffs. I think he is slotted a bit high as the 3rd line center but he has decent size, skates really well, shows some skill. I could maybe see him has the 4th line center next season assuming Brodziak.

I have liked Currie's game. 3 points in 6 games, 2 last night. Small sample size but who knows, maybe they have found themselves a bottom 6 player.

I have liked Gagner's game. 3 goals in 7 games. His skating isn't great but he's got lots of skill. Put him with some speedy guys and maybe he could be a decent bottom 6 guy that can chip in some offense. Maybe give you some second PP unit help.

The nice thing about Cave getting a goal is that Matheson doesn't look as senile stumping hard for a player when he has more than no points.

He's now ahead of Rieder for the year! And only 3 behind Lucic!

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: I Re: Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #64) [message #732131 is a reply to message #732129 ]
Fri, 01 March 2019 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 01 March 2019 08:52

The nice thing about Cave getting a goal is that Matheson doesn't look as senile stumping hard for a player when he has more than no points.

I don't expect a ton of offense from Cave, maybe getting this first one helps him get a few more. But if he can give you good 4th line mins next year, chip in the odd goal and be decent at draws, at 675K that is perfect. He's looked better than Brodziak since coming here. The Oilers need all the cheap guys that can contribute that they can get.

Re: I Re: Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #64) [message #732135 is a reply to message #732131 ]
Fri, 01 March 2019 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Quote:

I have liked Cave's game
Cave has some ability and has been a good player for the Oilers so far. Better than Brodziak who appears to have lost a step or two.

Re: I Re: Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #64) [message #732144 is a reply to message #732129 ]
Fri, 01 March 2019 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

I know you can't bury Lucic anywhere, but last night I wondered how it is that someone like Rieder continues to dress for hockey games?

Re: I Re: Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #64) [message #732150 is a reply to message #732144 ]
Fri, 01 March 2019 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Haven't seen much from Reider either that would make me want him on the team next season. He's just filler and we have enough of that already.

Re: I Re: Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #64) [message #732168 is a reply to message #732144 ]
Fri, 01 March 2019 16:43 Go to previous message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Fri, 01 March 2019 10:36

I know you can't bury Lucic anywhere, but last night I wondered how it is that someone like Rieder continues to dress for hockey games?

Have you seen how many AHLers we are already dressing? It makes it easier to survive when everyone else around you sucks too...

Re: I Re: Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #64) [message #732128 is a reply to message #732125 ]
Fri, 01 March 2019 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Steve wrote on Fri, 01 March 2019 08:30

I was at the game. My evaluation:

- both teams are bad.

- Oscar deserves an Oscar for that perfectly timed dive.

- Lucic looked really good with Cave, but I don't understand why the coach switched up the lines. It's seemed like the blender was on for every shift during the 2nd....when they were winning....weird.

- The Oilers got lucky and had the refs on their side tonight. A rare combo, and I'm not sure they would have won without it.

- Ottawa is a tire-fire. The Oilers were tired and didn't put in a full effort, but still made the Sens look bad. I like that Colin White kid though. He's going to turn into something.

Ottawa is a tire-fire. The Oilers were tired and Boucher got fired!

Re: I Re: Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #64) [message #732134 is a reply to message #732128 ]
Fri, 01 March 2019 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Quote:

Ottawa is a tire-fire
A Canadian Tire Fire !

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #64) [message #732137 is a reply to message #732103 ]
Fri, 01 March 2019 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

Also I love Gagner's game since he has come back.. a ton of passion for playing. He needs to keep that should he want to stay on the roster, or any roster because I think he's at last chance Texaco.

In saying that, he had that with the Jackets, and then got terrible, he had a resurgence in Arizona which got him to Vancouver and get got really terrible and so bad he got banished from the team completely.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Columbus (Game #65)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #64)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca