This day on March 29
None

Happy Birthday To: SMURDS, JRock71, Cpt Waffle, TexasOiler, Morgan99

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #729973]
Thu, 07 February 2019 20:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
Minnesota to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #729976 is a reply to message #729973 ]
Thu, 07 February 2019 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Get outplayed and still win. If only that was a recipe for consistent success.

Hope Minny keeps falling now that Koivu is out.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #729977 is a reply to message #729973 ]
Thu, 07 February 2019 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Goaltending controversy of the oddest kind?

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #729979 is a reply to message #729977 ]
Thu, 07 February 2019 20:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Thu, 07 February 2019 20:40

Goaltending controversy of the oddest kind?

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/mikko-koskinen /2019-06-15

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #729980 is a reply to message #729973 ]
Thu, 07 February 2019 20:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

McDavid (80) is 1 point back from Kucherov now (81)!

Kane with 79 now with an assist tonight with a period to play.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #730008 is a reply to message #729980 ]
Fri, 08 February 2019 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 07 February 2019 21:45

First Oiler with 3 straight 80 point seasons since Messier (or so NHL radio told me this AM)

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #730010 is a reply to message #729980 ]
Fri, 08 February 2019 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 07 February 2019 20:45

Kucherov's been really slowed lately - just 6 points in his last 9 games.

Rantanen's banged up, McKinnon, Gaudreau have fallen away a bit.

Kane looks to be making a big push - 23 points in his last 10 games, but that's gotta be unsustainable.

McDavid's just so ridiculously consistent. He's got points in 9 of 10 and 17 of the last 20. Just 14 points in the last 10, which is a little slower than earlier in the year, but he scores almost every night and he has multi-point nights more than anyone...

If he were on a really good team, I wonder if anyone would be even close to him...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #730011 is a reply to message #730010 ]
Fri, 08 February 2019 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Fri, 08 February 2019 10:15

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 07 February 2019 20:45

Kucherov's been really slowed lately - just 6 points in his last 9 games.

Rantanen's banged up, McKinnon, Gaudreau have fallen away a bit.

Kane looks to be making a big push - 23 points in his last 10 games, but that's gotta be unsustainable.

McDavid's just so ridiculously consistent. He's got points in 9 of 10 and 17 of the last 20. Just 14 points in the last 10, which is a little slower than earlier in the year, but he scores almost every night and he has multi-point nights more than anyone...

If he were on a really good team, I wonder if anyone would be even close to him...

I think I read he has the least amount of games going pointless in the league as well.

It would be something to see him with a consistently good scoring winger on one wing and a legit top 6 nhl'er on the other.
His assist totals might come close to being enough to lead the league in points.

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #729981 is a reply to message #729973 ]
Thu, 07 February 2019 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Didn't see much of the second but from what I saw, I thought they played well as a team and of course Talbot was really good tonight. No major collapses or long let downs and they really played hard and deserved to win. Lucic was really moving and putting pressure on them and I thought the new D man ( can't think of his name ) had a pretty good game. He's a decent skater. If they could only play like that more often. Klefbom's presence really noticeable in this one.

[Updated on: Thu, 07 February 2019 20:50]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #729982 is a reply to message #729981 ]
Thu, 07 February 2019 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

overdue wrote on Thu, 07 February 2019 20:48

Didn't see much of the second but from what I saw, I thought they played well as a team and of course Talbot was really good tonight. No major collapses or long let downs and they really played hard and deserved to win. Lucic was really moving and working and I thought the new D man ( can't think of his name ) had a pretty good game. He's a decent skater. If they could only play like that more often.

Not to be a downer, but 5v5, shots were 35-16 for the Wild. Shot attempts 61-27. Minny just lost their captain and #1C and honestly deserved to win, but the goaltending was very much in our favor tonight.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #729983 is a reply to message #729982 ]
Thu, 07 February 2019 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 07 February 2019 20:55

overdue wrote on Thu, 07 February 2019 20:48

Didn't see much of the second but from what I saw, I thought they played well as a team and of course Talbot was really good tonight. No major collapses or long let downs and they really played hard and deserved to win. Lucic was really moving and working and I thought the new D man ( can't think of his name ) had a pretty good game. He's a decent skater. If they could only play like that more often.

Not to be a downer, but 5v5, shots were 35-16 for the Wild. Shot attempts 61-27. Minny just lost their captain and #1C and honestly deserved to win, but the goaltending was very much in our favor tonight.

Looks like I missed the worst of it, 15 shots by Minnie in the second. Oh well, a win is a win, maybe this will spark them to play better.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #729985 is a reply to message #729983 ]
Thu, 07 February 2019 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

Skipped the third to go yoga. Figured yoga pants girls was a better time expenditure. Butt, might have been the worst third period to miss in a while.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #729986 is a reply to message #729985 ]
Thu, 07 February 2019 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Thu, 07 February 2019 22:25

Skipped the third to go yoga. Figured yoga pants girls was a better time expenditure. Butt, might have been the worst third period to miss in a while.

Hehehehe. I got it.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #729987 is a reply to message #729986 ]
Thu, 07 February 2019 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

How is it this season has been a complete garbage fire, and yet we are still only one point shy of a wild card spot for the playoffs?

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #729994 is a reply to message #729986 ]
Fri, 08 February 2019 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 07 February 2019 21:51

Magnum wrote on Thu, 07 February 2019 22:25

Hehehehe. I got it.

I love reading at this place!

Bob Marley and the (Hartford) Wailers.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #730003 is a reply to message #729994 ]
Fri, 08 February 2019 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

It's amazing what happens when a team gets NHL caliber goaltending. The Oilers got it and they won. Shocker!! There were a few times when Talbot was called upon to make some good saves but in my opinion, that is pretty standard for most teams. The Oilers have depth issues but I didn't think they were outplayed like I saw mentioned in here. When you have the nuclear weapon that is McDavid and close behind Leon, if they get good goaltending and play somewhat sound hockey, they can grind out wins.

Don't look now but Leon is tied for 3rd in goals and 7th in scoring in the NHL. But lets remember that apparently he is overpaid and can't drive a line just because he can't magically make guys like Rieder who has zero goals in 40 games good players. icon_rolleyes

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #730007 is a reply to message #730003 ]
Fri, 08 February 2019 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 08 February 2019 08:05

It's amazing what happens when a team gets NHL caliber goaltending. The Oilers got it and they won. Shocker!! There were a few times when Talbot was called upon to make some good saves but in my opinion, that is pretty standard for most teams. The Oilers have depth issues but I didn't think they were outplayed like I saw mentioned in here. When you have the nuclear weapon that is McDavid and close behind Leon, if they get good goaltending and play somewhat sound hockey, they can grind out wins.

Don't look now but Leon is tied for 3rd in goals and 7th in scoring in the NHL. But lets remember that apparently he is overpaid and can't drive a line just because he can't magically make guys like Rieder who has zero goals in 40 games good players. icon_rolleyes

If they outshoot us and out-Corsi us 2-to-1, then yeah...it's probably safe to say we were outplayed. Talbot stole us a game.

Not sure why you always need to have a snarkiness to your posts. You could just have left that line at "Leon is 3rd in goals and 7th in points..."

For what it's worth, I still think Chia botched the negotiation against Draisaitl, and probably could have had him at similar term for $1 to $1.5MM per season less...which would have been significant. I've never said that Draisaitl isn't a great player - I hope he hits 100 points this year - but I would have liked the Oilers to better position themselves to save cap space, even on their top players.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #730009 is a reply to message #730007 ]
Fri, 08 February 2019 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 08 February 2019 08:54

If they outshoot us and out-Corsi us 2-to-1, then yeah...it's probably safe to say we were outplayed. Talbot stole us a game.

Not sure why you always need to have a snarkiness to your posts. You could just have left that line at "Leon is 3rd in goals and 7th in points..."

For what it's worth, I still think Chia botched the negotiation against Draisaitl, and probably could have had him at similar term for $1 to $1.5MM per season less...which would have been significant. I've never said that Draisaitl isn't a great player - I hope he hits 100 points this year - but I would have liked the Oilers to better position themselves to save cap space, even on their top players.

disagreed to the first part. to my eye many of their shots were from outside and some were phantom

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #730013 is a reply to message #730009 ]
Fri, 08 February 2019 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

welcometotheOC wrote on Fri, 08 February 2019 10:00

disagreed to the first part. to my eye many of their shots were from outside and some were phantom

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. Watching the game, the Oilers were outplayed by a wide margin for most of it but I do think the Wild shot totals were a bit misleading.
On the other side you cant argue that the Oilers rarely threatened 5 V 5 for long portions of the game.
Talbot was the better goalie and made a couple of elite saves.

It really was enjoyable to see Talbot steal one and the team not let him down in the third.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #730018 is a reply to message #730007 ]
Fri, 08 February 2019 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I am snarky when it comes to Leon because I listened to people call in to Lowtide yesterday and complain about Leon again. You are doing almost the exact thing. The guy is going to score more than 40 goals and get 100 points. He's not overpaid, not even close. If you think a 40+ goal, 100 pt guy making 8.5 mill is overpaid, then you must also think McDavid is overpaid because he makes 4 mill more and Leon will be right there in goals and 15 pts behind. It's just not true. Yes McDavid is incredible and the engine of the Oilers. But Leon is close behind and in my opinion, McDavid benefits from having Leon on his team almost as much as Leon does.

Then I just saw Matthews sign for 11.634 on a 5 yr deal. Matthews is a one hell of a player but I am not convinced that he will outscore Leon by much if at all. Not 3 mill more worth of scoring. Plus when Matthews is a free agent, Leon will STILL be under contract. Marner is probably going to get close to Matthews money for a similar term. Just like Matthews, I doubt Marner will out score Leon by much if at all and he will be making significantly more money.

You mention he should be making 1-1.5 mill less. So that means he should be making in the 7 mill range on a long term deal. So Nylander money. I am not trying to be a jerk but I find that laughable because it's not even CLOSE between Leon and Nylander. If the Leafs called the Oilers and said "We will give you Nylander for Leon" I would hope the Oilers would burst out laughing and then hang up the phone. If you think Leon is only a 7 mill player, does that mean you would do that deal?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #730019 is a reply to message #730018 ]
Fri, 08 February 2019 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 08 February 2019 10:04

I am snarky when it comes to Leon because I listened to people call in to Lowtide yesterday and complain about Leon again. You are doing almost the exact thing. The guy is going to score more than 40 goals and get 100 points. He's not overpaid, not even close. If you think a 40+ goal, 100 pt guy making 8.5 mill is overpaid, then you must also think McDavid is overpaid because he makes 4 mill more and Leon will be right there in goals and 15 pts behind. It's just not true. Yes McDavid is incredible and the engine of the Oilers. But Leon is close behind and in my opinion, McDavid benefits from having Leon on his team almost as much as Leon does.

Then I just saw Matthews sign for 11.634 on a 5 yr deal. Matthews is a one hell of a player but I am not convinced that he will outscore Leon by much if at all. Not 3 mill more worth of scoring. Plus when Matthews is a free agent, Leon will STILL be under contract. Marner is probably going to get close to Matthews money for a similar term. Just like Matthews, I doubt Marner will out score Leon by much if at all and he will be making significantly more money.

You mention he should be making 1-1.5 mill less. So that means he should be making in the 7 mill range on a long term deal. So Nylander money. I am not trying to be a jerk but I find that laughable because it's not even CLOSE between Leon and Nylander. If the Leafs called the Oilers and said "We will give you Nylander for Leon" I would hope the Oilers would burst out laughing and then hang up the phone. If you think Leon is only a 7 mill player, does that mean you would do that deal?

True, people complain about Leon, despite his scoring levels. That doesn't mean the complaints are unwarranted.

People, accurately complained about Ovechkin's lack of defensive GAF, and how it was preventing his team from winning a Cup. Ovechkin matured in his game, and now he has a Cup.

It is very possible to be a very good player, while having significant room for improvement.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #730020 is a reply to message #730019 ]
Fri, 08 February 2019 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Magnum wrote on Fri, 08 February 2019 11:13

True, people complain about Leon, despite his scoring levels. That doesn't mean the complaints are unwarranted.

People, accurately complained about Ovechkin's lack of defensive GAF, and how it was preventing his team from winning a Cup. Ovechkin matured in his game, and now he has a Cup.

It is very possible to be a very good player, while having significant room for improvement.

It is also possible, or even likely as usual, that RDOF has missed the point of most of the complaints about Drai.
Sure, some complain he is lazy etc but when it comes to his contract most of the complaints are that it could have been cheaper.
It is another example of how almost the ENTIRE hockey watching world were surprised at the top dollar and term that was given him when it didnt seem to be required.

I think Drai is great offensively. I think he has room for improvement, specifically on some of his passes that get picked off and in the D zone.
I also think that he is overpaid, not based on his point totals but based on what comparables were out there when he signed.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #730028 is a reply to message #730020 ]
Fri, 08 February 2019 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Fri, 08 February 2019 11:20

It is also possible, or even likely as usual, that RDOF has missed the point of most of the complaints about Drai.
Sure, some complain he is lazy etc but when it comes to his contract most of the complaints are that it could have been cheaper.
It is another example of how almost the ENTIRE hockey watching world were surprised at the top dollar and term that was given him when it didnt seem to be required.

I think Drai is great offensively. I think he has room for improvement, specifically on some of his passes that get picked off and in the D zone.
I also think that he is overpaid, not based on his point totals but based on what comparables were out there when he signed.

Not to poop on Draisaitl, but he does the majority of his scoring (goals and apples) when he is on the ice with McDavid. So as a winger... let’s look at a comparable, point wise. What’s Johnny Gaudreau making? 6.75 AAV. Huge win for Calgary there, in point comparison.

Okay, so he’s been centering his own line recently and was during that playoff run, for the most part. So as a centre, let’s look at a comparable, points wise. What’s Nate McKinnon making? 6.3 AAV. Huge win for Colorado there, in point comparison.

But but but, both Gaudreau and McKinnon signed their deals the season before Draisaitl signed his. Okay... so let’s look at;
Winger signed in 2017, David Pasternak at 6.66 AAV. Huge win for Boston there, in point comparison.
Centre signed in 2017, Jack Eichel at 10 AAV. Win for Edmonton there, in point comparison. Though Eichel is ‘the face’ of the Sabres and almost exclusively plays centre, without a Connor McDavid inflation.

I’m saying points wise bc that’s pretty much all that RD seems to put stock into.

Again, my intention isn’t to poop on Draisaitl or throw shade his way at all. What I’m saying is at the time, and even now, his contract seems to be an overpayment when looking at comparables which you need to do when negotiating. However, he and the Oilers agreed on a number and all the power to Leon. He’s been an incredible #2 to Connor and even at times outperforms Connor. Pumped that he’s an Oiler and will be for several more season.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #730036 is a reply to message #730028 ]
Fri, 08 February 2019 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 08 February 2019 10:47

PlusOne wrote on Fri, 08 February 2019 11:20

Not to poop on Draisaitl, but he does the majority of his scoring (goals and apples) when he is on the ice with McDavid. So as a winger... let’s look at a comparable, point wise. What’s Johnny Gaudreau making? 6.75 AAV. Huge win for Calgary there, in point comparison.

Okay, so he’s been centering his own line recently and was during that playoff run, for the most part. So as a centre, let’s look at a comparable, points wise. What’s Nate McKinnon making? 6.3 AAV. Huge win for Colorado there, in point comparison.

But but but, both Gaudreau and McKinnon signed their deals the season before Draisaitl signed his. Okay... so let’s look at;
Winger signed in 2017, David Pasternak at 6.66 AAV. Huge win for Boston there, in point comparison.
Centre signed in 2017, Jack Eichel at 10 AAV. Win for Edmonton there, in point comparison. Though Eichel is ‘the face’ of the Sabres and almost exclusively plays centre, without a Connor McDavid inflation.

I’m saying points wise bc that’s pretty much all that RD seems to put stock into.

Again, my intention isn’t to poop on Draisaitl or throw shade his way at all. What I’m saying is at the time, and even now, his contract seems to be an overpayment when looking at comparables which you need to do when negotiating. However, he and the Oilers agreed on a number and all the power to Leon. He’s been an incredible #2 to Connor and even at times outperforms Connor. Pumped that he’s an Oiler and will be for several more season.

This is exactly right.

There were several comparables for Draisaitl, but the Oilers seemed to forget them all when the agent suggested even the possibility of offer sheets. (I'd point to Sean Monahan, for instance, who signed a year earlier and who's been neck and neck with Draisaitl most of the season, while making over $2MM less).

It wasn't just that though - Their priorities were poor that summer all around:

June 22 - Oilers trade Eberle for Strome (one for one!)
June 23 - Oilers sign Kris Russell to a 4-year deal
June 26 - Oilers sign Zack Kassian to a 3-year deal
June 27 - Oilers sign Eric Gryba to 2-year deal
June 29 - Oilers buyout Benoit Pouliot
July 1 - Oilers sign 7 minor leaguers
July 2 - Oilers sign Brad Malone to a 2-year deal
July 5 - Oilers sign Connor McDavid to an 8-year deal
July 7 - Oilers sign Jussi Jokinen to a 1-year deal
July 10 - Oilers sign Johann Auvitu to a 1-year deal
August 16 - Oilers sign Draisaitl to an 8-year deal

There's been a lot of talk about the Oilers decision-making on when they did the McDavid deal versus the Draisaitl deal, and it's a good question - why did they prioritize the expensive one? If they were going to do that, they should have made a huge focus on the discount given in order to keep the team competitive. They kind of tried to do that, but the communication of it was ridiculously bad. They made it sound like McDavid had basically had to come back to the Oilers and tell them to sign him for less than they were willing to spend...it makes Chiarelli look ridiculous, and while there was definitely a discount given, it was poorly defined.

For both players, their extensions came after the team had made three bad overpays within a week to fringe players. Kassian had had a good playoff, but he was a fourth liner - paying him almost $2MM was way out of market. Kris Russell had gone all summer without a contract the year before, but they gave him top dollar, top term and a no-move clause. And Eric Gryba was a HEALTHY SCRATCH for most of the playoffs so a one-way, two year deal at over a million a year was just mind-boggling. He'd even tried UFA a year before too and went almost the whole summer before inking back with the Oilers. There was extremely limited market for the player, and he would only play 21 games on that contract.

If you're negotiating with your stars and trying to convince them you need them to take a discount so that you can build a team around them, you can't really be giving that away in the week before with overpay after overpay. It destroys your argument to these guys.

Trading Eberle for Strome is pretty awful too...these guys knew Eberle and were guests at his wedding, and they traded him straight up for a guy who scored 20 points less during Eberle's worst season to that point - a year after the terrible Hall deal, and right after they lose Reinhart to the expansion draft - exposing how bad that trade was as well.

If you're looking at signing and thinking about leaving money on the table because you're going to play for a winning team, it's pretty tough when the GM (the same guy who said he didn't think they could make any noise in the playoffs a couple months earlier) is blowing trades and signing bad deals.

I don't think it's even debatable now - Peter Chiarelli is a poor negotiator, and he got run over by Draisaitl's agent. Given the comparables at the time, given that Draisaitl had big numbers, but much of that was driven by playing with McDavid, given that McDavid had discounted his own salary demands - there was enough ammunition to get Draisaitl to accept something less than top dollar. The Oilers didn't use it.

Draisaitl is doing a good job for us, and he's not grotesquely overpaid, like Kassian, Russell or Gryba...but we could have saved on that contract, and the team needs some value contracts.

The only good thing, I suppose, is that Draisaitl's deal has been inflationary around the league. He helped set the stage for the Eichel contract, the Nylander contract and others...Chiarelli's helped to screw over other GMs by setting a poor precedent in a league where comparables are a huge part of contract negotiations. It's to Leon's credit that he isn't just seen as an outlier.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #730037 is a reply to message #730036 ]
Fri, 08 February 2019 16:25 Go to previous message

No Cups

I think the overpay on Leon ( I still see it as that ) was likely due to the term of the contract. Had the Oilers been willing to sign a 5 year deal instead of an 8 they likely could have had him for less per season, but wanted the big long term lock up even though at that stage he was really not that proven.(another gamble ) His numbers are inflated somewhat by playing with McD but he is the best finisher on the team and really gets sparked when playing with Conner, anticipating scoring opportunities. I hated the fact that it cripples the team to a large degree on depth signings but at the same time you can't argue that he is delivering. Without McD there is no way those numbers are that high but the guy can score and set up plays at a pretty elite level. ( Other than the blind behind the back, high risk passes ) Not sure there really is a comparable to him.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #730023 is a reply to message #730019 ]
Fri, 08 February 2019 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Fri, 08 February 2019 10:13

Did OV really improve his defensive game? :) When I watch him he's still usually camping out at his own blue line saving his energy while everyone else grinds in his end. Now and then he puts some effort in, and that becomes a highlight shown over and over to display the major transformation he's gone under, but most of the time, still, out at the blueline waiting :)

What happened for OV is he finally had a team with depth and that played with good structure. Malkin has 3 cups but he's still completely allergic to putting an honest effort in his own zone and needs constant sheltering by his coaches.

Drai is what he is, very talented offensive guy. He probably already puts more effort in his end than a lot of young talent. No player is perfect, every guy has stuff to be called out on. And that's just gonna keep happening here with our best players that are pushed into the spotlight because there is no one else worthy of, or simply capable of getting, the attention. McDavid has gone through runs of guys calling out his mistakes as well. Gonna keep happening until we finally have an actual hockey team around our best players and this team can finally consistently win games.

[Updated on: Fri, 08 February 2019 10:33]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #730024 is a reply to message #730019 ]
Fri, 08 February 2019 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

100%. As far as his deal goes, that's done...although I'd like to know why his deal wasn't done before Connor's. I think LD is a 1W right now rather than a center. I also believe that there are characteristics to his game that if mitigated, would make him more effective and dangerous and probably able to be a great 2C.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #730025 is a reply to message #730019 ]
Fri, 08 February 2019 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I am not saying he's a perfect player. He makes mistakes and has room to get better defensive. I heard the other day his goal is to win the Selke. That's a hell of a goal to work towards. McDavid still screws up defensively, happens all the time. But I don't hear fans piling on McDavid saying he is overpaid like they do Leon. It's all the time with Leon. The guy is the best faceoff guy on the team. He's going to score over 40 goals and probably 100 pts. I don't get what more people want from this guy. There are lots of guys to bash on this team. Leon shouldn't be one of them.

I love Nuge. In Edmonton, the only guy that walks on water more than McDavid is Nuge but look at his career. Drafted first overall. He has 51 pts in 54 games. So it looks like he will FINALLY crack the 60 pt barrier. He's in his 8th season. and his career high is 56 pts. He's on pace for 24 goals. He's a first overall, in his 8th season and he hasn't scored 25 goals EVER. He's at 45% on faceoffs so he hasn't improved much in that area in 8 seasons. He's -5. Now +/- isn't that big of a stat anymore BUT he's been a plus player only twice in 8 seasons. I am a bit fan of Nuge like I said. But for a #1 overall pick, you should have score more than a career high 56 pts, yet he hasn't. For a #1 overall center, you'd think you could get to 50% at faceoffs after 8 seasons, yet he's never did it even once. Where is the complaints about Nuge?

It seems to me that Oilers fans have a love affair with the more meat and potatoes guys and piss on the super skilled guys, McDavid being the exception. Ryan Smyth was a real good Oiler but he was a meat and potatoes guy and if Ryan Smyth is the face of the franchise, you probably don't win a lot. Nuge has lots of skill and has more finesse to his game than Smyth did but when you look at his game, its a little more hard working, grind out it , closer to meat and potatoes hockey than the uber skilled, finesse game of Leon. So fans LOVE Nuge from day 1 even though when you really look at him, he might FINALLY be the player we all expected him to be this year which is 8 years after his draft year vs Leon who gets crapped on for almost everything. Doesn't add up to me.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #730031 is a reply to message #730025 ]
Fri, 08 February 2019 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 08 February 2019 10:35

.. I don't get what more people want from this guy.

I want more defensive responsibility. That's it.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #730032 is a reply to message #730031 ]
Fri, 08 February 2019 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

Soooo, Klef is the real MVP of this team?

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #730035 is a reply to message #730032 ]
Fri, 08 February 2019 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Fri, 08 February 2019 14:01

Soooo, Klef is the real MVP of this team?

Definitely the 1D of this team, who impacts positively all parts of the ice.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #730012 is a reply to message #729973 ]
Fri, 08 February 2019 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

I thought, overall, it was the most complete game the entire team played in quite some time. While certainly not a perfect game it was a game that the guys played for themselves, and each other. Talbot was so focused in net and you can feel his disapointment on that first goal against.

I do find the controversy between Talbot and Koskinen amusing and what management was thinking. Hitch won't play Koskinen unless he thinks he can win them games, but that contract is such an Oilers thing to do.. throw a ton of money and term and a limited no trade clause on such a small sample size that management panicked and locked him up before any other team would. Yes yes there may have been other factors at play with his agent saying he was going to accept an offer in the KHL or some game like that.. it may be the reason for the panicked signing.

Anyways. Good game by all, and infuriating that the team can play that way and go to work but so many choose not to.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #730014 is a reply to message #730012 ]
Fri, 08 February 2019 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Let's face it though, Talbot hasn't been very good for almost a season and a half other than showing a bit here and there. When he's focused like last night, he shows that he still has it. Must be hard on him knowing that the team more or less gave up on him by signing Koskinen to that big contract but his performance led to that. Now he's pulling it together for his next contract which will likely be somewhere else. Would be nice if they could keep him but not likely given the cap crunch. I agree though that from what I saw the team played better than some on here are giving them credit for. He was good but it wasn't a total goalie steal.

[Updated on: Fri, 08 February 2019 09:46]

Previous Topic:Pregame: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #55)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca