This day on March 29
None

Happy Birthday To: SMURDS, JRock71, Cpt Waffle, TexasOiler, Morgan99

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Pregame: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Pregame: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #729913]
Thu, 07 February 2019 03:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final
Score Prediction
Login To Make Your Prediction

Edmonton to win: 0%
Minnesota to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

2018-19 Regular Season
Tuesday, October 30, 2018Minnesota 4 @ Edmonton 3Loss
Friday, December 7, 2018Minnesota 2 @ Edmonton 7Win
Thursday, February 7, 2019Edmonton 4 @ Minnesota 1Win
Home Record: 1-1-0       Road Record: 1-0-0       Overall Record: 2-1-0
Home / Road Goals For: 10/4 Total: 14
Home / Road Goals Against: 6/1 Total: 7

2017-18 Regular Season
Saturday, December 16, 2017Edmonton 3 @ Minnesota 2Win
Saturday, March 10, 2018Minnesota 1 @ Edmonton 4Win
Monday, April 2, 2018Edmonton 0 @ Minnesota 3Loss
Home Record: 1-0-0       Road Record: 1-1-0       Overall Record: 2-1-0
Home / Road Goals For: 4/3 Total: 7
Home / Road Goals Against: 1/5 Total: 6

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #729914 is a reply to message #729913 ]
Thu, 07 February 2019 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

77% believe the Koivu-less Wild will take 2 all-important points from the organization employing the best player in the game?!

#BoldPrognostication for game 54, Oil @ Wild, the Oilers DO NOT blow a 3rd period lead. In fact, the Oilers perform their own 3rd period comeback and snatch 2 points without a Bettman point going to the Wild. Oh, and Toby FINALLY gets his first goal of the year. #BOOM

Did I say, #MUSTWIN

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #729916 is a reply to message #729914 ]
Thu, 07 February 2019 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Honestly who knows at this point what team will show up and how they play.

They have lost what 6 in a row. Got booed heavily at home, supposedly the rink emptied out with almost half the 3rd left which doesn't happen, fans are throwing jerseys on the ice, which has to be at least somewhat embarrassing. They desperately need a win not only for their mental state but the somehow impossible fact they are still in the playoff hunt. So in theory, they should be REAL fired up and hungry. Will it actually happen? confused2

Talbot is starting in goal again. I didn't like the first goal. Any time you have a floater wrist shot from barely inside the blueline go in, even if it maybe touched something, I don't like. The 3rd goal I thought you have to stop. It was a decent shot but again, a long range goal. The 4th goal sucked. Control that rebound. The initial shot wasn't a huge shot, he should have been able to hold on, he dropped it. But at the same time, he was really good for the bulk of the 1st and second and apparently he was real pissed off for getting pulled, giving Hitch a nasty stare down and barking something at him. Then he sat in the dressing room and sulked for a bit which apparently he admitted was a mistake and apologized to the team for doing. So in theory, Talbot should be fired up. He should want to shove it down his coaches throat for pulling him when he thought it wasn't justified. He should also want to make it up to his team for having a little pouting fit and abandoning his team. But will he? confused2 I could see him playing really well but I could just as easily see him let in the first shot of the game and let in 3 goals on 5 shots, with 1 or 2 being stinkers.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #729917 is a reply to message #729916 ]
Thu, 07 February 2019 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

If the team in front of him has little to no compete then it won’t matter how fired up and on his head he plays.

Regardless. Yesterday’s history, tomorrow’s a mystery and tonight the Oilers will get the victory.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #729942 is a reply to message #729916 ]
Thu, 07 February 2019 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stotto  is currently offline stotto

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 07 February 2019 09:08

Honestly who knows at this point what team will show up and how they play.

They have lost what 6 in a row. Got booed heavily at home, supposedly the rink emptied out with almost half the 3rd left which doesn't happen, fans are throwing jerseys on the ice, which has to be at least somewhat embarrassing. They desperately need a win not only for their mental state but the somehow impossible fact they are still in the playoff hunt. So in theory, they should be REAL fired up and hungry. Will it actually happen? confused2

Talbot is starting in goal again. I didn't like the first goal. Any time you have a floater wrist shot from barely inside the blueline go in, even if it maybe touched something, I don't like. The 3rd goal I thought you have to stop. It was a decent shot but again, a long range goal. The 4th goal sucked. Control that rebound. The initial shot wasn't a huge shot, he should have been able to hold on, he dropped it. But at the same time, he was really good for the bulk of the 1st and second and apparently he was real pissed off for getting pulled, giving Hitch a nasty stare down and barking something at him. Then he sat in the dressing room and sulked for a bit which apparently he admitted was a mistake and apologized to the team for doing. So in theory, Talbot should be fired up. He should want to shove it down his coaches throat for pulling him when he thought it wasn't justified. He should also want to make it up to his team for having a little pouting fit and abandoning his team. But will he? confused2 I could see him playing really well but I could just as easily see him let in the first shot of the game and let in 3 goals on 5 shots, with 1 or 2 being stinkers.

I agree Talbot did not look good and hasn't played as well as he needs to play but....

With guys standing around puck watching, giving the goalie ( regardless of who it is) virtually no support. This just is not acceptable if this team wants to be successful.

Glad to hear Brodziak is benched. How about Reider being benched as well?

No depth.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #729923 is a reply to message #729913 ]
Thu, 07 February 2019 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Per Jack Michaels;

Looks like Brodziak out at Minny, with Malone sliding over to centre & Cave on the wing. Manning in for Gravel on defence. Talbot vs Dubnyk in net.

Because an AHL call up and a waiver wire claim are great linemates for JP.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #729924 is a reply to message #729923 ]
Thu, 07 February 2019 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 07 February 2019 11:16

Per Jack Michaels;

Looks like Brodziak out at Minny, with Malone sliding over to centre & Cave on the wing. Manning in for Gravel on defence. Talbot vs Dubnyk in net.

That's the kind of line that you dress when you intend to just roll three lines all night...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #729926 is a reply to message #729923 ]
Thu, 07 February 2019 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Slim Jim Phantom Call  is currently offline Slim Jim Phantom Call

No Cups

Per Jack Michaels;

Considering JP shouldn't even be up here, i think its the perfect line for him to be on.
AHL showcase baby!

In fairness to Hall, I've wanted to throw a waterbottle at Eakins all season.
~nullterm 03/22/2014

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #729928 is a reply to message #729926 ]
Thu, 07 February 2019 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

Ales Cooper wrote on Thu, 07 February 2019 11:43

Per Jack Michaels;

Considering JP shouldn't even be up here, i think its the perfect line for him to be on.
AHL showcase baby!

Identity!

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #729929 is a reply to message #729928 ]
Thu, 07 February 2019 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

stemhovlichski wrote on Thu, 07 February 2019 12:09

Per Jack Michaels;

AHL showcase baby!

Identity!

Oh yeah. I forgot about the identity line. How how they been playing for the past two months anyway....

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #729930 is a reply to message #729929 ]
Thu, 07 February 2019 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 07 February 2019 13:19

Per Jack Michaels;

AHL showcase baby!

Identity!

Oh yeah. I forgot about the identity line. How how they been playing for the past two months anyway....

Their centre is in the PB tonight because Hitch says we need better play from our 4th line centre.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #729931 is a reply to message #729929 ]
Thu, 07 February 2019 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 07 February 2019 12:19

Per Jack Michaels;

AHL showcase baby!

Identity!

Boy has this team made Hitch look like a giant a-hole. Comes in guns blazing, pointing out all the things wrong with the teams attitude, and how he can fix it all, questioning what the coaches were telling players before and laying out all the solutions. This team sure showed him :)

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #729932 is a reply to message #729931 ]
Thu, 07 February 2019 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 07 February 2019 13:24

Per Jack Michaels;

AHL showcase baby!

Identity!

Boy has this team made Hitch look like a giant a-hole. Comes in guns blazing, pointing out all the things wrong with the teams attitude, and how he can fix it all, questioning what the coaches were telling players before and laying out all the solutions. This team sure showed him :)

He did say he could take this team to a place they couldn’t get to themselves... 6 straight losses, including 3 straight 3rd period collapses and I’m beginning to think he may have been correct.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #729934 is a reply to message #729932 ]
Thu, 07 February 2019 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 07 February 2019 12:27

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 07 February 2019 13:24

Per Jack Michaels;

AHL showcase baby!

Identity!

He did say he could take this team to a place they couldn’t get to themselves... 6 straight losses, including 3 straight 3rd period collapses and I’m beginning to think he may have been correct.

I dunno, I'm finding this losing / collapse streak to be comfy like an old blanket. I've been here before, I'm certain of it.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #729943 is a reply to message #729913 ]
Thu, 07 February 2019 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Talbot stands on his head, the team ( not just the defense ) realizes they actually have to play hard for 60 minutes especially when the puck is in their own zone... and they win! If not they lose again. ( Conner is great as usual and gets points )

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #729945 is a reply to message #729943 ]
Thu, 07 February 2019 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

overdue wrote on Thu, 07 February 2019 15:57

Talbot stands on his head, the team ( not just the defense ) realizes they actually have to play hard for 60 minutes especially when the puck is in their own zone... and they win! If not they lose again. ( Conner is great as usual and gets points )

So you’re telling me my survivor pick will cause me an Adam?

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #729946 is a reply to message #729945 ]
Thu, 07 February 2019 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

If the Oilers are to have a chance, they need their goaltending to be flat out better. Yes their defense hasn't been that great which doesn't help things but it starts in goal. They need consistent goaltending. If your team is confident the guy between the pipes will give you the stops you need, it gives you confidence in the rest of your game. When the Oilers went on their big run earlier on, Koskinen was great, gave them the key saves at the right time, the team played with no fear and they won.

[Updated on: Thu, 07 February 2019 15:53]

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #729947 is a reply to message #729946 ]
Thu, 07 February 2019 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 07 February 2019 15:51

If the Oilers are to have a chance, they need their goaltending to be flat out better. Yes their defense hasn't been that great which doesn't help things but it starts in goal. They need consistent goaltending. If your team is confident the guy between the pipes will give you the stops you need, it gives you confidence in the rest of your game. When the Oilers went on their big run earlier on, Koskinen was great, gave them the key saves at the right time, the team played with no fear and they won.

It's true that if our goalie stands on his head and bails the team out constantly, we have a chance to win every night. But, you can't just expect that to happen consistently unless you have prime Roy or Hasek back there. There has to be periods where the 18 skaters are actually all being useful and helping the goalie out too and he's struggling. That just rarely ever happens. And it happens so rarely that we eventually kill the confidence of any goalie we have. It's a never ending cycle when your team is trash.

Every season is a series of ups and downs for every player, goalies included. When your team is junk though, the amount of downs happening through your lineup happen more often and things can start to snowball.

Almost every win this year as required:
1) Perfection from Mcdavid/Drai/Nuge
2) Perfection from the goalie

Just not a recipe for consistent success, relying on 4 guys to make up for the uselessness of 14 others every single night. And it's always on such a knifes edge that if any of those 4 guys is off, it's probably game over.

[Updated on: Thu, 07 February 2019 16:30]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #729948 is a reply to message #729947 ]
Thu, 07 February 2019 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 07 February 2019 16:14

It's true that if our goalie stands on his head and bails the team out constantly, we have a chance to win every night. But, you can't just expect that to happen consistently unless you have prime Roy or Hasek back there. There has to be periods where the 18 skaters are actually all being useful and helping the goalie out too and he's struggling. That just rarely ever happens. And it happens so rarely that we eventually kill the confidence of any goalie we have. It's a never ending cycle when your team is trash.

Every season is a series of ups and downs for every player, goalies included. When your team is junk though, the amount of downs happening through your lineup happen more often and things can start to snowball.

Just not a recipe for consistent success, relying on 4 guys to make up for the uselessness of 14 others every single night. And it's always on such a knifes edge that if any of those 4 guys is off, it's probably game over.

I am not taking .940 goaltending. What about league average goaltending? I fully understand their defense isn't good. I get it. I also know that a good defense can have an uptick on a goalies stats. But if your goalies need a bunch of norris trophy winners in order to give you league average goaltending, that's a problem and it's not all defense.

I look at last game. Yes Talbot player pretty well but the first goal was a 65 ft floater wrist shot. I am sorry, you have to stop that. If the expectation of any goalie is ZERO shots get through, then they will never win. I am not taking about a glass breaking Weber bomb here. It was a freaking wrist shot. Stromes goal. Another long range wrist shot. He was 40 ft away and Talbot is on his knees and it goes over his shoulder. Why? Why are you done for a shot that far out? The Kane goal was off a junk rebound. COntrol the rebound properly, there is no goal.

Did the Oilers play like crap in the 3rd. You bet. BUt it goes both ways. Make the stops you should. They 2 guys they got right now, aren't.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #729949 is a reply to message #729948 ]
Thu, 07 February 2019 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 07 February 2019 16:43

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 07 February 2019 16:14

I am not taking .940 goaltending. What about league average goaltending? I fully understand their defense isn't good. I get it. I also know that a good defense can have an uptick on a goalies stats. But if your goalies need a bunch of norris trophy winners in order to give you league average goaltending, that's a problem and it's not all defense.

I look at last game. Yes Talbot player pretty well but the first goal was a 65 ft floater wrist shot. I am sorry, you have to stop that. If the expectation of any goalie is ZERO shots get through, then they will never win. I am not taking about a glass breaking Weber bomb here. It was a freaking wrist shot. Stromes goal. Another long range wrist shot. He was 40 ft away and Talbot is on his knees and it goes over his shoulder. Why? Why are you done for a shot that far out? The Kane goal was off a junk rebound. COntrol the rebound properly, there is no goal.

Did the Oilers play like crap in the 3rd. You bet. BUt it goes both ways. Make the stops you should. They 2 guys they got right now, aren't.

I just think this team is so messed in the head they're just gonna keep playing bad when the pressure is on until they finally make their goalie crack. When we have a lead in the 3rd, the other team comes out determined to tie it up and most of this team just wilts. The play in the 3rd last game was so embarrassing, there was no goalie on earth that was gonna save that game for us. And that's how this team has been doing things for a while. They usually start games like trash and can't wake up until they finally get scored on. They can't close out games because they can't handle when the other team is putting their full effort in.

A lot of the good we see on this team is smoke and mirrors. We look good (more than just McDavid's line) because the other team is bad too, or off their game. When the other team is good and actually putting the pressure on, we usually look bad, because we are beyond the very top end of the lineup.

For sure it would be nice to get better goaltending. I think we've finally run Talbot's confidence to the point where he's checking out on this team. We talk about the team having no confidence in the goalie. Well, I think Talbot is aware of when his team is playing like trash in front of him too and setting him up to fail, and he's probably had enough of it. Good luck to him somewhere else I guess. I think Koskinen may just not be that good, so the high end we saw for ~1 month is likely going to become a distant memory, especially if we keep grinding him down too like every other goalie. Goaltending is certainly a part of the problem, but so are many other things with this team. ANd until more things are fixed, unless we can find the next Hasek, we're gonna just keep going through goalies like we have been for the last half decade.

[Updated on: Thu, 07 February 2019 17:24]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #729951 is a reply to message #729948 ]
Thu, 07 February 2019 17:23 Go to previous message

5 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 07 February 2019 17:43

I’d argue that if Talbot and Koskinen received average defending in front of them they’d have at worst league average goalie stats. They don’t need a bunch of Norris winners in front of them. The entire team game affects the goaltending, and vice versa. But when the entire team, as a whole, is so terribly inconsistent that the only constant is mediocrity, the goaltenders have an enormous chance of having below average stats.

I’m not saying it’s all defence, but an average team defense and average team offense can help the current goalie tandem.

The problems aren’t just goaltending, it runs through the entire roster at each position arguably outside of centre however even at C there are improvements that should be made to improve the overall team game, especially on the dot.

Their defense has also been without one of it’s top 3 defenders for the majority of this and last season and without arguably one of it’s top 2 defenders for a large chunk of this current season.

This isn’t solely on Talbot and Koskinen.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #54) [message #729950 is a reply to message #729945 ]
Thu, 07 February 2019 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 07 February 2019 15:21

overdue wrote on Thu, 07 February 2019 15:57

So you’re telling me my survivor pick will cause me an Adam?

Bold choice on you're part but I really hope not!

Previous Topic:Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR
Next Topic:Review: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #53)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca