This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #39)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #39) [message #726282]
Mon, 31 December 2018 21:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   0%
Winnipeg to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #39) [message #726284 is a reply to message #726282 ]
Mon, 31 December 2018 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

At least they played almost a full 2 minutes with an empty net, and didn't poop their own bed. We can take that as a positive, right?

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #39) [message #726285 is a reply to message #726284 ]
Mon, 31 December 2018 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski is currently online stemhovlichski

No Cups

NetBOG wrote on Mon, 31 December 2018 21:36

At least they played almost a full 2 minutes with an empty net, and didn't poop their own bed. We can take that as a positive, right?

They only generated an attack for the last 40 seconds though. Lots of back passing and playing keep away that just killed the clock. At least they didn't get annihilated. New D fit in seamlessly.

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #39) [message #726287 is a reply to message #726284 ]
Mon, 31 December 2018 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shoop  is currently offline shoop

No Cups

NetBOG wrote on Tue, 01 January 2019 04:36

Caleb Jones looked good?

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #39) [message #726291 is a reply to message #726287 ]
Tue, 01 January 2019 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

shoop wrote on Mon, 31 December 2018 22:58

NetBOG wrote on Tue, 01 January 2019 04:36

Caleb Jones looked good?

Don't worry, he will be AHL-bound once Russell is back because Manning was acquired and there are too many defensemen.

I don't know how any of Bouchard, Bear, or Jones elbow their way onto the team next year with millions of dollars and years of term committed to Manning, Russell, Sekera, and Benning. And UFAs Gravel and Petrovic might be better than those four guys too.

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #39) [message #726292 is a reply to message #726291 ]
Tue, 01 January 2019 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Tue, 01 January 2019 03:24

I don't know how any of Bouchard, Bear, or Jones elbow their way onto the team next year with millions of dollars and years of term committed to Manning, Russell, Sekera, and Benning. And UFAs Gravel and Petrovic might be better than those four guys too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmlYeMy5kuA

Staples and McCurdy make the same point over at the Cult of Hockey podcast....the Oilers commitments to aging and fading defense men is so restrictive....

....McCurdy and Staples might have the same tailor and wardrobe consultant as Chiarelli, but even they are on the "fire Chiarelli" bandwagon...I wouldn't normally bother to listen to or read what Staples has to say or write, but a five game home stand that results in zero points for the Oilers makes me glad to see the main stream media have taken the gloves off....

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #39) [message #726293 is a reply to message #726292 ]
Tue, 01 January 2019 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Tue, 01 January 2019 08:14

mightyreasoner wrote on Tue, 01 January 2019 03:24

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmlYeMy5kuA

Staples and McCurdy make the same point over at the Cult of Hockey podcast....the Oilers commitments to aging and fading defense men is so restrictive....

....McCurdy and Staples might have the same tailor and wardrobe consultant as Chiarelli, but even they are on the "fire Chiarelli" bandwagon...I wouldn't normally bother to listen to or read what Staples has to say or write, but a five game home stand that results in zero points for the Oilers makes me glad to see the main stream media have taken the gloves off....

Bruce looks like he blazed one right before the podcast.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #39) [message #726297 is a reply to message #726291 ]
Tue, 01 January 2019 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shoop  is currently offline shoop

No Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Tue, 01 January 2019 10:24

Don't worry, he will be AHL-bound once Russell is back because Manning was acquired and there are too many defensemen.

How do the Oilers keep Benning up over Jones?

Right handedness isn't an issue because Jones has been groomed to be a right side defenseman and it shows.

In the seven games Jones has been with the Oilers he has unquestionably been better than Benning. In five of those games he was head and shoulders better than Benning.

The Philly game (Jones' first in the NHL) and the Tampa game are the only games where the level of play between the two was even close.

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #39) [message #726298 is a reply to message #726297 ]
Tue, 01 January 2019 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

....more line shuffling at the New Year's Day practice in Edmonton before the Oilers head to Arizona....

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/blog-practice-updates-11/c-3 03446448?tid=281885062

..."Lines at practice appeared to be:

Draisaitl - McDavid - Kassian
Lucic - Nuge - Puljujarvi
Rieder - Khaira - Spooner
Gambardella - Brodziak - Rattie

Nurse - Petrovic
Jones - Larsson
Manning - Benning
Gravel - Sekera

Talbot"....

....no mention of Russell or Yamamoto...Kassian on the first line,eh? ...as much as I like Kassian's crash and bash style and willingness to mix it up when necessary, he's a plugger, not a first liner...unless you think McDavid and Draisaitl need "protection"....which they don't....

....wonder what the real story is on Sekera and how things will turn out with him....as I understand it, if and as soon as he is sent to Bakersfield, he counts as a roster player....do the Oilers have enough salary cap space to do this at any time this season?....

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #39) [message #726306 is a reply to message #726298 ]
Tue, 01 January 2019 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Draisaitl - McDavid - Kassian

I think this is worth doing. I can see why Hitchcock wants to try this. Kassian might just find another gear playing on the top line.

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #39) [message #726299 is a reply to message #726297 ]
Tue, 01 January 2019 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

shoop wrote on Tue, 01 January 2019 10:21

Right handedness isn't an issue because Jones has been groomed to be a right side defenseman and it shows.

In the seven games Jones has been with the Oilers he has unquestionably been better than Benning. In five of those games he was head and shoulders better than Benning.

The Philly game (Jones' first in the NHL) and the Tampa game are the only games where the level of play between the two was even close.

Maybe it's time to put Benning on wavers and hope someone picks him up. Not sure why he is getting so much leash but he's pretty iffy as an NHL D man at best.

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #39) [message #726327 is a reply to message #726299 ]
Tue, 01 January 2019 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prince Albert 1  is currently offline Prince Albert 1

No Cups

overdue wrote on Tue, 01 January 2019 13:58

Maybe it's time to put Benning on wavers and hope someone picks him up. Not sure why he is getting so much leash but he's pretty iffy as an NHL D man at best.

I got this...it’s because they want to make it look like to the rest of the league that Benning is a #5 dman who’s young and trending up and would love to use that asset to acquire some depth on the wings. If they put him on waivers they would be devaluing that asset. Simple as that.

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #39) [message #726330 is a reply to message #726327 ]
Tue, 01 January 2019 22:51 Go to previous message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Prince Albert 1 wrote on Tue, 01 January 2019 22:20

overdue wrote on Tue, 01 January 2019 13:58

I got this...it’s because they want to make it look like to the rest of the league that Benning is a #5 dman who’s young and trending up and would love to use that asset to acquire some depth on the wings. If they put him on waivers they would be devaluing that asset. Simple as that.

There's definitely no reason to give Benning away. He hasn't been very good, but he's a 24 year old right-shot defenceman who has scored 15 and 21 points the last two years without first PP time. He's on pace for 15-19 points this season, and despite all the negative commentary around him, he's actually a plus player on this team. You have to wonder how he'd look on a team with a good defence where he could comfortably slot in as a third pairing guy.

If the Oilers wanted to, he's probably a guy they could give away via waivers, but I'm not sure that that's the best use of the asset.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #39) [message #726301 is a reply to message #726297 ]
Tue, 01 January 2019 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

Doesn't matter if he is better. All that cap hit is backing the Oilers into a corner. They can't financially afford not to. Jones costs them nothing in the AHL. Benning will cost 900k on the cap still.

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #39) [message #726294 is a reply to message #726282 ]
Tue, 01 January 2019 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

New voice is running out of ideas. Team is already back to making hope plays all night long.

I think we all know that the Hitch has a shorter shelf life than most. Dealing with key injuries right now for sure, but I’m starting to wonder already. I was intrigued with his every inquisitive interview as well, but am starting to glaze over when he starts talking. One thing that keeps me listening though is he is slowly in a roundabout way alluding to the lack of depth on this team.

I wonder what he thinks when he sees his panicked new boss give a presser all red faced and frustrated after a questionable transaction for this sinking ship. It must really leave Hitch wondering how much help this vision lacking twit is going to be for him. I wonder if the “plan” has been shared with Hitch. There is a long term gameplan, right?

[Updated on: Tue, 01 January 2019 09:24]

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #39) [message #726295 is a reply to message #726294 ]
Tue, 01 January 2019 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

g2k wrote on Tue, 01 January 2019 09:21

It must really leave Hitch wondering how much help this vision lacking twit is going to be for him. I wonder if the “plan” has been shared with Hitch. There is a long term gameplan, right?

...I wonder if Chiarelli and Hitch are communicating at all in the here and now....they must be somewhat close when Chiarelli has his phone number and Hitch gets on the next plane out of Dallas to replace TMac....but what has happened since is bizarre...Hitch was telling us that Russell would be ready "for sure" for the New Year's Eve game, but Chiarelli said yesterday that isn't the case...(obviously there is no cap space to move Russell off of IR at this point, but there is room for defensemen other teams want to dump)...losing five in a row at home at a crucial point in the season is an issue that must be dealt with...and not by the OBC, but Mr. Katz himself...

....sure looks like the "dump Chiarelli now" campaign is gaining momentum fast....wonder if Mr. Katz is ready to listen????

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #39) [message #726296 is a reply to message #726295 ]
Tue, 01 January 2019 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

It won’t make any difference at all.

You could fire 10 Chia’s, and still have the same results.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #39) [message #726300 is a reply to message #726294 ]
Tue, 01 January 2019 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

g2k wrote on Tue, 01 January 2019 09:21

New voice is running out of ideas. Team is already back to making hope plays all night long.

I think we all know that the Hitch has a shorter shelf life than most. Dealing with key injuries right now for sure, but I’m starting to wonder already. I was intrigued with his every inquisitive interview as well, but am starting to glaze over when he starts talking. One thing that keeps me listening though is he is slowly in a roundabout way alluding to the lack of depth on this team.

I wonder what he thinks when he sees his panicked new boss give a presser all red faced and frustrated after a questionable transaction for this sinking ship. It must really leave Hitch wondering how much help this vision lacking twit is going to be for him. I wonder if the “plan” has been shared with Hitch. There is a long term gameplan, right?

Hitch doesn't piss around like Mclellan, he threw the bottom six and the bottom pairing D under the bus in the post game interview. Didn't name names, but didn't have to. He had good things to say about Caleb Jones so I doubt he'll be the one sent to Bakersfield when the time comes.

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #39) [message #726302 is a reply to message #726282 ]
Tue, 01 January 2019 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

I get it, and it just makes a GM HAVE to be on top of it at all times, but in the case of Benning and Lucic I do wish the NHL had more of an NFL flare where players can literally just be cut and released.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #39) [message #726303 is a reply to message #726282 ]
Tue, 01 January 2019 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Wow:

Ryan Rishaug @TSNRyanRishaug
RNH McDavid and Draisaitl just left the ice, Hitchcock kept everyone else out to keep doing drills.

Hitch is taking everyone to task about sitting around and waiting for the 3 C's to do everything.

SO many ways to look at this and implications for how it can affect the group. Obviously it's true, nothing is getting done without those guys. But, can create some resentment and fracture the room. Guess we shall see how this evolves, but Hitch has been pretty clearly calling out his depth before and after games lately.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #39) [message #726305 is a reply to message #726303 ]
Tue, 01 January 2019 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shad1216  is currently offline Shad1216

No Cups

Further to this, it sounds like Hitch wants to make the Oilers a trap team.

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/video/raw--ken-hitchcock-010119/t -277437406/c-64545703

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #39) [message #726307 is a reply to message #726305 ]
Tue, 01 January 2019 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Shad1216 wrote on Tue, 01 January 2019 15:35

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/video/raw--ken-hitchcock-010119/t -277437406/c-64545703

Seems like a must with this garbage lineup really. From what Hitch has been saying, he believes that the best defense is still possession in the offensive end, and pushing the pace to the oppositions end of the ice. Without the puck, ok, trap time, but if you get a turnover, do all you can to maintain pressure with the puck to kill time. McLellan seemed to like a pure defensive shell and you pray you survive.

Now, is there a hope in hell that the depth on this team can forecheck and maintain offensive pressure as one of the keys to stop chances happening against us...I'm not so sure.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #39) [message #726308 is a reply to message #726307 ]
Tue, 01 January 2019 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 01 January 2019 15:43

Shad1216 wrote on Tue, 01 January 2019 15:35

Seems like a must with this garbage lineup really. From what Hitch has been saying, he believes that the best defense is still possession in the offensive end, and pushing the pace to the oppositions end of the ice. Without the puck, ok, trap time, but if you get a turnover, do all you can to maintain pressure with the puck to kill time. McLellan seemed to like a pure defensive shell and you pray you survive.

Now, is there a hope in hell that the depth on this team can forecheck and maintain offensive pressure as one of the keys to stop chances happening against us...I'm not so sure.

Trap just means sound defensively when the other team has the puck which every winning team plays to some extent. It requires effort to keep the puck up. Nice to hear what he expects from the team instead of just "playing the right way" whatever that means. He expects more from the bottom part of the team and so he should, it's like he said, they are being encouraged to do more than just try to get through their shift and back to the bench so Conner in the boys can do their thing. He's OK with them not scoring much if they show value in other areas of the game.

Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #40)
Next Topic:GDT: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #39)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca