This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - NicholsonPages (9): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #727631 is a reply to message #727615 ]
Tue, 15 January 2019 18:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shoop  is currently offline shoop

No Cups

Iamheretoday wrote on Tue, 15 January 2019 21:29

My soul was born into it. icon_wink
It is an interesting observation that if a person tries to see the positive, IE tied for a playoff spot, others insist on pointing out that this is a down year for qualifying. The fact the Oilers are tied for a playoff spot is not a functional point within the discussion apparently.
Trying to enjoy hockey, which has been difficult over the years, and years, and years, is something we should enjoy. Calling someone out as a social media stooge, which I hope was in jest, has nothing to do with discussion.

deadhorse

Not much of it is meant in jest, but that's ok.

I don't get the incessant negativity. Yes, playoffs preserve Chia's job.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #727643 is a reply to message #727631 ]
Tue, 15 January 2019 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh2.0  is currently offline Babaganoosh2.0

No Cups

Playoffs preserve Chia's job and guarantees a three year playoff drought to follow.

#Ax BaldLax

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #727300 is a reply to message #727288 ]
Sun, 13 January 2019 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

[QUOT]They’ll stay close, thanks to the aforementioned Conner and Leon[/QUOTE]

Saw the post Arizona game comments by Hitch and he said you can't expect to win with a few top players bringing their A game and the rest underachieving. ( My words ) Somebody else posted on here that they may not be capable of any more and that has me wondering too. Is it lack of effort and commitment to winning or is it lack of abitlity to do what it takes when the games get tougher? The coaching staff is trying to get more out of the lower tier players but so far not much success. Has this become a culture of it's OK to be mediocre as long as the fans keep filling the seats? Katz=Ballard It really comes down to the owner if that is the case. There are some obvious borderline NHL players ( Benning, Manning ) on the team but over half the team?

[Updated on: Sun, 13 January 2019 11:07]

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #727164 is a reply to message #727155 ]
Fri, 11 January 2019 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

shoop wrote on Fri, 11 January 2019 11:36

We will wait and see what the extent of Petrovic's injury is. Definitely an upgrade as a 5/6/7 defenceman. Good to dump Wideman. It was essentially a free 3rd rounder although the Oilers will move down a few slots in the draft depending where they finish.

I think it's a stretch to call Petrovic a 5. Better than Wideman? Maybe, but I dont think the gap is all that big. Definitely not worth a 3rd rounder.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #727377 is a reply to message #725085 ]
Mon, 14 January 2019 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

From Rishaug;

Tweet part 1: Oilers organization is on a full court press to find help at forward. Scouts and staff deployed en masse.

Tweet part 2: Cap situation could make it tough, but first round pick, a goaltender, maybe a young developing forward likely all in play.

Safe to say it’s all in for playoffs this year.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #727379 is a reply to message #727377 ]
Mon, 14 January 2019 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 14 January 2019 11:27

From Rishaug;

Tweet part 1: Oilers organization is on a full court press to find help at forward. Scouts and staff deployed en masse.

Tweet part 2: Cap situation could make it tough, but first round pick, a goaltender, maybe a young developing forward likely all in play.

That's awful. Not surprising, but awful. Another large mistake could easily keep us out of the playoffs for 3-4 more years.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #727381 is a reply to message #727379 ]
Mon, 14 January 2019 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 14 January 2019 10:36

From Rishaug;

That's awful. Not surprising, but awful. Another large mistake could easily keep us out of the playoffs for 3-4 more years.

Are you saying trading Nuge for two 3rd pair Dmen is bad? Because ya know, we get a PAIR of them instead of the usual one. - Chia

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #727442 is a reply to message #727379 ]
Mon, 14 January 2019 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 14 January 2019 11:36

From Rishaug;

I'm reading about disturbing rumors that Chia is looking into making a big deal and I hope that they are only rumors. He can't even get small moves right now, so I am getting mad already just thinking about a big move he could screw-up.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #727454 is a reply to message #727377 ]
Mon, 14 January 2019 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

From Rishaug;

Where are Cagulla, Aberg and Zykov when you need them?

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #727455 is a reply to message #727454 ]
Mon, 14 January 2019 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

overdue wrote on Mon, 14 January 2019 16:43

From Rishaug;

Where are Cagulla, Aberg and Zykov when you need them?

Take heart, no production from two thirds of those guys since leaving the Oilers yet. Caggiula has 0 points in 4 games, while Zykov got blanked in his only at bat.

That said, it took a couple games for Aberg and Strome to throw off the shackles of Oilers-ness and start producing too...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #727453 is a reply to message #725085 ]
Mon, 14 January 2019 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Interesting take from Friedman on all of this:

https://www.nicholsonhockey.com/archives/2019/1/14/friedman- on-oilers-playoffs-and-trade-mindset

Quote:

At one point of the conversation, show co-host Pat Steinberg transitioned to the Oilers by remarking that “there’s been a little bit of buzz over the last 24 hours.”

“I saw that today,” indicated Friedman. “I bet you Ryan was gleefully pressing the ‘send’ button because he knew the firestorm that thing was going to cause.”

Friedman was playfully alluded to Ryan Rishaug’s tweet from earlier in the day, which was then summarized by Steinberg.

“I don’t think he’s wrong, I mean put it that way,” noted Friedman. “I think the biggest question is going to be does there ever get to a point where ownership says, ‘We’re not chasing anymore this year.’ And to me, right now, the answer is no.

“There’s a lot on the line there. Their season ticket renewals go out soon. At the arena there, some of those suites are up three years because they were three-year leases when they first bought in, and it’s going to be tough to re-sell them.

“Look, from a hockey point of view it makes no sense for the Oilers to do this. But from a business point of view, you see why this kind of stuff happens. I think the Oilers should just play it out and see where it goes. I think this is a risk of being a really, really poor outcome for them. But from a business point of view, it looks to me like the owner is saying, ‘I want to get into the playoffs.’ And if that’s the case, this move is going to get made.

“Now, I mean we’ll see. I don’t think this is the best course of action for the Oilers, but I’m not paying for everything there. And this just says to me that they feel they’ve got to make the playoffs from a business point of view, and that’s the way these decisions get made.”

I think it's more than just the owner wants the playoffs...I think that the idiots running the organization want to appease the owner, and want to at least look like they pulled out all the stops. If they fail, look for them to point fingers - it's Chia's fault, it's the goalies' fault, it's all the players fault, it's the trainers fault, it's Klefbom's injury proneness, it's...etc, etc, etc.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #727457 is a reply to message #727453 ]
Mon, 14 January 2019 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 14 January 2019 17:36

https://www.nicholsonhockey.com/archives/2019/1/14/friedman- on-oilers-playoffs-and-trade-mindset

Quote:

At one point of the conversation, show co-host Pat Steinberg transitioned to the Oilers by remarking that “there’s been a little bit of buzz over the last 24 hours.”

“I saw that today,” indicated Friedman. “I bet you Ryan was gleefully pressing the ‘send’ button because he knew the firestorm that thing was going to cause.”

Friedman was playfully alluded to Ryan Rishaug’s tweet from earlier in the day, which was then summarized by Steinberg.

“I don’t think he’s wrong, I mean put it that way,” noted Friedman. “I think the biggest question is going to be does there ever get to a point where ownership says, ‘We’re not chasing anymore this year.’ And to me, right now, the answer is no.

“There’s a lot on the line there. Their season ticket renewals go out soon. At the arena there, some of those suites are up three years because they were three-year leases when they first bought in, and it’s going to be tough to re-sell them.

“Look, from a hockey point of view it makes no sense for the Oilers to do this. But from a business point of view, you see why this kind of stuff happens. I think the Oilers should just play it out and see where it goes. I think this is a risk of being a really, really poor outcome for them. But from a business point of view, it looks to me like the owner is saying, ‘I want to get into the playoffs.’ And if that’s the case, this move is going to get made.

“Now, I mean we’ll see. I don’t think this is the best course of action for the Oilers, but I’m not paying for everything there. And this just says to me that they feel they’ve got to make the playoffs from a business point of view, and that’s the way these decisions get made.”

I think it's more than just the owner wants the playoffs...I think that the idiots running the organization want to appease the owner, and want to at least look like they pulled out all the stops. If they fail, look for them to point fingers - it's Chia's fault, it's the goalies' fault, it's all the players fault, it's the trainers fault, it's Klefbom's injury proneness, it's...etc, etc, etc.

Do you want playoffs? (You know my thoughts/feelings I’m sure, based on prior comments in threads)

Let me put it this way. Though, let me start by saying I am in no way saying the roster as currently assembled is as good as what the Preds had with their 2017 run, rather they were generally a bubble team even in that season. Yeah, they had some success the year prior, losing the conference semi to San Jose in 7 after winning the quarter in 7 over Anaheim. But they entered the 2017 playoffs as huge underdogs against Chicago and swept them. The rest is history, as they’ve become a hockey mad city and a real threat to win the west.

A lot of what I hear/read outside of this site is “Why mortgage the future for playoffs this season?”, though if you have a chance wouldn’t you want McDavid, Leon, Nuge, your young D core to experience more playoff matchups and get a taste of the atmosphere? Never know, maybe you get hot and go on a Preds 2017 heater which in turn sparks confidence in your young players for the following season, and seasons after that. The goal every year is Lord Stanley’s cup... you gotta make the playoffs to have a shot at it. Yeah, it’s generally the ‘better’ teams that pull through in 7 game series’ though I believe certain players on this team are playoff hockey players, that’s where you’ll see their worth. Lucic ad Kassian mainly.

Maybe I’m buzzed from pre game pops with the boys i our first game of the calendar year. Maybe RD is rubbing off on me. But I for one, would love to see Oilers playoff hockey this year, and every year. The passengers on this team have been historically terrible, that can’t continue going forward. It just can’t. Something has to change in the organization, and perhaps playoffs can achieve that change.

Drunk? Maybe.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #727458 is a reply to message #727453 ]
Mon, 14 January 2019 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 14 January 2019 16:36

Quote:

Sounds bad, but I am all in hoping for losses now. The only downside is demoralizing McDavid, but I'm sure he will get over it.

THese OBC jerks and Chia all need to fail miserably right now. To put their jobs in jeopardy, and to remove any hope they have that could lead to a bad trade.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #727467 is a reply to message #727458 ]
Mon, 14 January 2019 18:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 14 January 2019 16:31

Adam wrote on Mon, 14 January 2019 16:36

Quote:

Sounds bad, but I am all in hoping for losses now. The only downside is demoralizing McDavid, but I'm sure he will get over it.

THese OBC jerks and Chia all need to fail miserably right now. To put their jobs in jeopardy, and to remove any hope they have that could lead to a bad trade.

Everyone is expecting this management group to cook a four course meal, and they can't even manage a grilled cheese without setting fire to the kitchen. Which is kinna funny if you imagine Katz handing them a stack of bread and cheese at the start of the year, warning them not to burn the kitchen down... this time.... after having to call 911 over ten times already.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #727693 is a reply to message #725085 ]
Wed, 16 January 2019 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

NBC hockey weighs in on Chiarelli and the pressure from ‘upper management’;

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2019/01/16/stage-is-set-for-oilers -to-make-a-panic-trade/

Friedman also notes a crucial facet of this, and something that could really increase the chances of Chiarelli throwing up a Hail Mary pass, only to be intercepted by a waiting defender/happy GM:

It sounds like people above Chiarelli are taking a “playoff or bust” mentality.

This would be a concern with your run-of-the-mill, good-to-average GM. But with a GM who’s shot himself in the foot with trades so often, you’d think he didn’t have any toes left, it’s terrifying with Chiarelli.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #727698 is a reply to message #727693 ]
Wed, 16 January 2019 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 16 January 2019 13:52

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2019/01/16/stage-is-set-for-oilers -to-make-a-panic-trade/

Friedman also notes a crucial facet of this, and something that could really increase the chances of Chiarelli throwing up a Hail Mary pass, only to be intercepted by a waiting defender/happy GM:

This would be a concern with your run-of-the-mill, good-to-average GM. But with a GM who’s shot himself in the foot with trades so often, you’d think he didn’t have any toes left, it’s terrifying with Chiarelli.

This is fine. (sips coffee).

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #727704 is a reply to message #727698 ]
Wed, 16 January 2019 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 16 January 2019 13:11

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 16 January 2019 13:52

This is fine. (sips coffee).

I remember being in a bad work environment where we had to perform for a boss nobody had any confidence in. It did not go well.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #727720 is a reply to message #727693 ]
Wed, 16 January 2019 18:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 16 January 2019 16:52

Whoa whoa whoa...What's this "people above Chiarelli" nonsense? This is the general manager and president of hockey operations. We've been told time and again that he is the Alpha and the Omega. What is this nonsense you spew?

And yeah..I'm scared.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #727722 is a reply to message #727720 ]
Wed, 16 January 2019 18:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Mike wrote on Wed, 16 January 2019 19:30

Whoa whoa whoa...What's this "people above Chiarelli" nonsense? This is the general manager and president of hockey operations. We've been told time and again that he is the Alpha and the Omega. What is this nonsense you spew?

And yeah..I'm scared.

Scared is exactly how it is for me.

Being I have been on vacation in the states for 9 days I have been pretty out of the loop info wise. Pretty much all my hockey news this week is from this site.
Every time we are back in the hotel from Disney I log into the wifi and log into oilfans frightened what the main page headline of a trade light be.

I am pretty sure at this point a legit performing piece of the team like Drain or Nuge will be traded for a 2nd pairing d man or rental top 6 winger.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #727724 is a reply to message #727720 ]
Wed, 16 January 2019 18:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Mike wrote on Wed, 16 January 2019 19:30

And yeah..I'm scared.

Not my words, I believe those were from the NBC employee/author of that article OR Elliot Friedman, who they took quotes from in that article.

We have heard before that Chiarelli’s moves are approved by Nicholson, so if Katz is telling Bobby “We need Playoffs this year to ensure a greater volume of patrons re-up their suites/new suckers pay for suites”, then you bet the message is passed on to Pete along with subtle, or not so subtle hints that if the team fails to reach the playoffs he’ll be out of work.

Add: Part of me is afraid, based on the moves we’ve seen Chiarelli make. However, part of me is also excited, b/c maybe, just maybe, MAYBE, he finally gets one right. I mean a broken clock shows the correct time twice a day.

[Updated on: Wed, 16 January 2019 19:01]

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #727763 is a reply to message #727724 ]
Wed, 16 January 2019 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

So it's funny, we used to hear the defence of Chia that he might be bad at the big trade but at least he was pretty good with the little ones. If that was ever true, it doesn't seem to be now. One weird thing is just how fast he has been accepting that they're failures and giving up on the players. Every GM makes mistakes, and it's good to a point, to be able to realize when something isn't working and admit the error, but here's a few of our acquisitions over the last couple of years:

Eric Gryba - re-signed to 2-yr deal June 27, 2017, bought out June 21, 2018, 21GP, 0-2-2
Jussi Jokinen - signed July 7th, 2017, traded Nov.14, 2017 - 14GP, 0-1-1
Nathan Walker - claimed on waivers Dec 1, 2017, claimed on waivers Dec 20, 2017, 2GP, 0-0-0
Brandon Davidson - claimed on waivers Dec 2, 2017, traded Feb 24, 2018 23GP, 3-1-4
Al Montoya - traded for Jan 4, 2018, buried in minors Fall 2018 - 9GP 2-2-2 .906
Pontus Aberg - traded for Feb 25, 2018, claimed on waivers Oct 1, 2018, 16GP, 2-6-8
Jakub Jerabek - signed August 20, 2018, traded Oct 1, 2018, 0GP
Jason Garrison - signed Oct 2, 2018, traded Dec 29, 2018, 19GP, 1-0-1
Chris Wideman - traded for Nov 22, 2018, traded Dec 29, 2018, 5GP, 0-2-2
Valentin Zykov - claimed off waivers Nov 30, 2018, claimed off waivers Dec 29, 2018, 5GP 0-0-0

Even all the AHL scrubs the team has signed - most were one-and-done deals, and there were even a couple of those guys traded within months of being acquired. Was there anyone besides Keegan Lowe that the team decided they needed to re-up?

Now, waiver players are tough - they're typically bubble guys, and so they often don't stick, especially if they're brought in to cover a gap, and minor leaguers often don't pan out but even so, that's a whole lot of swings and misses in a relatively short period of time. I've said it before, but this reminds me of MacTavish's reign of error and the incessant tweaking. It's like the Oilers have no good ideas on how to move things in the right direction, so have just decided to make LOTS of moves, so that people know they're really trying hard.

And I'd say the team isn't done yet here. We're getting lots of reports the Oilers are trying to get rid of Spooner already and there isn't room on the roster for Petrovic and Manning when the team gets healthy. Somehow, I don't think those moves will fix the team either...

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #727768 is a reply to message #727763 ]
Wed, 16 January 2019 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 16 January 2019 22:25

We're getting lots of reports the Oilers are trying to get rid of Spooner already and there isn't room on the roster for Petrovic and Manning when the team gets healthy. Somehow, I don't think those moves will fix the team either...

As usual, great post Adam.

I mentioned it in the spec forum, but I envision Spooner being packaged with JP. I know it wouldn’t be a popular move in most circles, however I wouldn’t be shocked if they’re sent to Carolina for Ferland. There may be something in the works already, with Chiarelli/Oilers being granted permission with Ferland to see if we’re able to extend him. Spooner and JP for Ferland is what I see occurring.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #727864 is a reply to message #725085 ]
Thu, 17 January 2019 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Friedman and Marek updated the 31 thoughts podcast for this week;

https://www.sportsnet.ca/podcasts/31-thoughts-podcast/

Includes about 10 minutes of discussion at the start re: JP (including the split within the organization on being patient with or selling JP), 1st pick (likelihood of it being traded rather than JP and it being protected in some way), Spooner and how decisions on moves are made collaboratively (Chia holds the wheel but is told to hit the gas pedal or the break). They discuss the pressure from top down to make playoffs this season and Chia being in the hot seat. Marek also asks Elliott if he thinks we’re a trade away, or a save away, from being a team that pulls out ahead in the wild card race.

If true (Elliott Friedman is pretty plugged in so I would assume it’s fact) and we do miss playoffs resulting in Chiarelli being canned, it’s clear things won’t change unless they give the replacement control. Extra fire for those of us in the #FireEveryone posse.

This may have been on the original podcast, I didn’t listen to it. Either way. An interesting look into the our current situation. Oh and if Chiarelli is fired, there better be more than just his pink slip handed out or we’re doomed for a longer period of time. My .02 cents

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #727903 is a reply to message #725085 ]
Fri, 18 January 2019 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Lines from practice today, per Jack Michaels on the twitter;

Draisaitl-McDavid-Chiasson
Khaira-RNH-Yamamoto
Lucic-Cave-Kassian
Rieder-Brodziak-Puljujarvi

Is this a forward group that can compete with the Flames tomorrow, and ultimately for a Wild Card spot?

If these are the lines for the game tomorrow;
- '4th' line... Let's play a game called "One of these things is not like the other", or we could name it, "One of these things is not like Brodziak or Rieder". Something has to happen here, either send JP down to Bakersfield and let him play big minutes there or trade him. He had a few good games w/ Nuge. Though Nuge's ' offensive successes' lately have come SH or on the PP rather than 5v5 with JP.
- 2nd + 3rd line... Think Lucic and Khaira will be interchangeable against the Flames tomorrow, with a focus on the Lucic-Cave-Kassian line being pinned to Backlund-Tkachuk. Hitch seems to be a big fan of Khaira, though I'd argue he fits better in a bottom 6 wing role. Yamamoto, like JP, should be sent down as well.
- Top line, we've seen them multiple times. Know what they can do.

How good would Ferland and Dzingle look in this lineup on that 2nd line with Nuge?
icon_biggrin

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #728112 is a reply to message #727903 ]
Sun, 20 January 2019 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 18 January 2019 18:55

Lines from practice today, per Jack Michaels on the twitter;

Draisaitl-McDavid-Chiasson
Khaira-RNH-Yamamoto
Lucic-Cave-Kassian
Rieder-Brodziak-Puljujarvi

Is this a forward group that can compete with the Flames tomorrow, and ultimately for a Wild Card spot?

If these are the lines for the game tomorrow;
- '4th' line... Let's play a game called "One of these things is not like the other", or we could name it, "One of these things is not like Brodziak or Rieder". Something has to happen here, either send JP down to Bakersfield and let him play big minutes there or trade him. He had a few good games w/ Nuge. Though Nuge's ' offensive successes' lately have come SH or on the PP rather than 5v5 with JP.

Puljujarvi was one of the few bright spots for the Oilers last night. Two assists and more importantly he lead the team with hits.

Certainly Puljujarvi's best game of the season if not his best game as an Oiler.

Last night the Oilers proved they don't belong with the elite of the league. Regardless today is a big test. If the Oilers bounce back strong tonight then they have a real chance of going 3 for 4 on this homestand.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #728190 is a reply to message #725085 ]
Sun, 20 January 2019 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Not looking great for Peter C.’s playoff run.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #728191 is a reply to message #728190 ]
Sun, 20 January 2019 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Sun, 20 January 2019 22:24

PPP (Panicky Pistol Pete) is either making a trade call or is picking up his belongings from the office tomorrow. I’d be shocked if nothing happens tomorrow in either situation.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #728197 is a reply to message #728191 ]
Sun, 20 January 2019 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Oscargasm wrote on Sun, 20 January 2019 21:27

PPP (Panicky Pistol Pete) is either making a trade call or is picking up his belongings from the office tomorrow. I’d be shocked if nothing happens tomorrow in either situation.

I would not be even a little shocked

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #728198 is a reply to message #728197 ]
Sun, 20 January 2019 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Sun, 20 January 2019 20:42

Team making a last minute panic comeback, now 6-4 and only behind by 2. Does this buy Chia one more game?

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #728199 is a reply to message #728198 ]
Sun, 20 January 2019 21:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

nullterm wrote on Sun, 20 January 2019 22:49

CrudeRemarks wrote on Sun, 20 January 2019 20:42

Team making a last minute panic comeback, now 6-4 and only behind by 2. Does this buy Chia one more game?

Almost assuredly.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #728368 is a reply to message #725085 ]
Mon, 21 January 2019 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

OK. This Koskinen extension finally broke me.

What the eff was Chiarelli thinking?

Why did he have to extend Koskinen now? $4.5M aav.

Makes absolutely zero sense. Unfreakingbelievable.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #728395 is a reply to message #728368 ]
Tue, 22 January 2019 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

shoop wrote on Mon, 21 January 2019 22:54

Here’s what I’ve come up with for this. The Oilers as an organization are as arrogant as they are clueless. Because everyone, even their local media lapdogs are beating the drum to fire the GM, the team instead decides to do something to let everyone know that he’s still in charge.

I’m sure there’s been discussions with Koskinen’s camp for a few weeks now, and so they just called up his agent and capitulated.

When you think about this, you can only draw a couple of conclusions. Either Chiarelli still has his hands on the wheel, and he’s still the one driving this team in to the ditch - or the others around him are also equally as bad and have no qualms about doing idiiotic things to make a splash. They also clearly do not want to fire Chiarelli. Maybe he’s one of the super-friends now...

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #728401 is a reply to message #728395 ]
Tue, 22 January 2019 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 22 January 2019 11:02

Here’s what I’ve come up with for this. The Oilers as an organization are as arrogant as they are clueless. Because everyone, even their local media lapdogs are beating the drum to fire the GM, the team instead decides to do something to let everyone know that he’s still in charge.

I’m sure there’s been discussions with Koskinen’s camp for a few weeks now, and so they just called up his agent and capitulated.

When you think about this, you can only draw a couple of conclusions. Either Chiarelli still has his hands on the wheel, and he’s still the one driving this team in to the ditch - or the others around him are also equally as bad and have no qualms about doing idiiotic things to make a splash. They also clearly do not want to fire Chiarelli. Maybe he’s one of the super-friends now...

I’d wager the collab are not only Chia’s ‘approval/denial’ on trades but that they were the drivers of the Koski boat.

All this team knows is how to sell hope.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #728469 is a reply to message #728401 ]
Tue, 22 January 2019 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh2.0  is currently offline Babaganoosh2.0

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 22 January 2019 10:21

Adam wrote on Tue, 22 January 2019 11:02

I’d wager the collab are not only Chia’s ‘approval/denial’ on trades but that they were the drivers of the Koski boat.

All this team knows is how to sell hope.

We had hope once:
Hall
Omark
Pajaarvii
Eberle

Hope is gone.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #728404 is a reply to message #728368 ]
Tue, 22 January 2019 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

shoop wrote on Mon, 21 January 2019 21:54

Tack on a limited no trade clause and it’s official.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #728403 is a reply to message #725085 ]
Tue, 22 January 2019 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Big Bob understands our pain:

https://www.nicholsonhockey.com/archives/2019/1/22/mckenzie- rocket-ride-to-hell-for-edmonton-oiler-fans

Select piece cause it ends with a good quote:

Quote:

Things are so bad for the Edmonton Oilers that Vancouver radio dedicated an entire Bob McKenzie segment to discuss the situation.

Each Canadian market has focused in on the Oilers - and Peter Chiarelli specifically - this week, and McKenzie’s Tuesday morning radio hit on Vancouver’s TSN 1040 ended up going entirely toward the team and its general manager as well.

“Everybody is obviously waiting for something to happen,” indicated hockey’s No. 1 Insider, when asked for the latest info. “And with the All-Star break coming up it’s sort of a natural break in the schedule. If you are going to make a regime change in terms of a general manager, then I guess the time is probably as good as any time.

“But the flip side of that is it’s all well and good to have the knee-jerk reaction, ‘Hey, we’ve got to get rid of our GM,’ in the middle of the season, and a lot of fans and media want that, and understandably so.

“But you’ve got to have a succession plan, and you’ve got to have the right people coming in, otherwise you’re just - that’s not sound ownership or executive/front office stuff above the general manager. There’s got to be a plan. So those plans sometimes take time.

“And whether something happens here in the next number of days or weeks or somehow they limp to the end of the regular season, it’s difficult to conceive or a scenario whereby there isn’t a regime change there.”

As the conversation on 1040 continued, McKenzie made his way back to the Oilers’ general manager a short time later.

“I heard you talk about Chiarelli there, and it’s true. A very well-respected general manager in the National Hockey League with the Boston Bruins, and obviously won a Cup there,” recalled McKenzie. “And yet go down the list of moves he’s made…

“I always maintain with every general manager in the league, I could build you a case that even the best general manager in the league - I could probably go through and find five or seven things if you just ratatat them off you’d say, ‘This guy is the worst general manager ever. Look at these draft picks. Look at these trades. Look at these signings. These are terrible.’

“Because everybody makes mistakes. Not everybody turns out. You have to deal in volume and you’ve got to hope at the end you’re on the right side of the ledger.

“I don’t ever recall a situation where you go transaction-by-transaction where the team - in this case the Oilers - comes out on the wrong side of it so clearly just about every time. I don’t ever recall a situation like that, and especially for a guy like Peter Chiarelli, who has been a very well-respected guy in the National Hockey League.

Goes on to talk about how it's gonna basically take a genius to dig us out of this hole and how the Oilers brand keeps getting damaged.

Add someone not that good to a room full of guys that are proven to not be good. Yeah...special things can certainly happen. We have done something truly unique here.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #728452 is a reply to message #725085 ]
Tue, 22 January 2019 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1703365/koskinen-extension -compounds-oilers-cap-issues-mediocrity-in-net

Media are pulling less and less punches. PC is being carved in every media outlet.

It is like they are catching up to Oilfans finally

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #728692 is a reply to message #725085 ]
Wed, 23 January 2019 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Six weeks ago, when Bobby Nicks claimed Chia is safe with playoffs... we were 3 points back of Calgary for 1st in the Pacific. Now, when he’s canned, were 3 points back of the Wild Card spot and 5 points up on LA for last in the West.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #728786 is a reply to message #728692 ]
Wed, 23 January 2019 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

This thread can finally be layed to rest.

I won’t miss it at all.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #728787 is a reply to message #728786 ]
Wed, 23 January 2019 17:39 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Wed, 23 January 2019 17:34

I won’t miss it at all.

Maybe, maybe not.

If the Oilers make the playoffs, maybe they rehire Chia.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #729025 is a reply to message #728787 ]
Fri, 25 January 2019 16:08 Go to previous message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 23 January 2019 16:39

g2k wrote on Wed, 23 January 2019 17:34

I won’t miss it at all.

Maybe, maybe not.

If the Oilers make the playoffs, maybe they rehire Chia.

I just had this thought. Or, does Nicholson tell the NHL he’s a man of his word and gives the playoff spot to the 9th place team?

Pages (9): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #48)
Next Topic:Oilers select 2nd rd (#62) - Olivier Rodrigue
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca