This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - NicholsonPages (9): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725806 is a reply to message #725785 ]
Sun, 23 December 2018 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shoop  is currently offline shoop

No Cups

g2k wrote on Sun, 23 December 2018 06:29

Of course not. Nobody will stop you. I think a lot of us welcome Chiarelli boosters due to the huge imbalance in here. Just don’t get butt hurt when people disagree with you outside your parameters of proper social etiquette. You’ll get used to it. If not I’m guessing there’s a positivity thread buried somewhere in the pages of HF.

No interest in HF. Lurked there and decided I'd join here instead.

There are obviously more posters there, which means the Alphas there are that much more aggressive and nasty if you dare to disagree with their irrational hatred of Chiarelli.

tbh I wouldn't call your views on Chiarelli irrational hatred. Just the intellectual laziness that leads to sarcasm when you won't put in the effort to support your views with anything else.

If you do welcome me then why not take a look at my post on the five key members of the OBC that Adam asked about.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725809 is a reply to message #725806 ]
Sun, 23 December 2018 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

shoop wrote on Sun, 23 December 2018 08:08

g2k wrote on Sun, 23 December 2018 06:29

Of course not. Nobody will stop you. I think a lot of us welcome Chiarelli boosters due to the huge imbalance in here. Just don’t get butt hurt when people disagree with you outside your parameters of proper social etiquette. You’ll get used to it. If not I’m guessing there’s a positivity thread buried somewhere in the pages of HF.

No interest in HF. Lurked there and decided I'd join here instead.

There are obviously more posters there, which means the Alphas there are that much more aggressive and nasty if you dare to disagree with their irrational hatred of Chiarelli.

tbh I wouldn't call your views on Chiarelli irrational hatred. Just the intellectual laziness that leads to sarcasm when you won't put in the effort to support your views with anything else.

If you do welcome me then why not take a look at my post on the five key members of the OBC that Adam asked about.

Laziness? Sorry, but I’ve stated my feelings on here plenty. I’m sorry if you missed it. I will condense it. Everything he’s done before this season (for the most part) has been complete garbage. He’s made some gambles this year that have shown dividends and given some hope, but the Terry Jones’s of the planet need to look at the calendar before they start fellating the GM in mid December. It’s amazing how a little bit of success and added hope can erase so much garbage for some people. I could stand in line and appease you with my Oilfan bio, but I would just be echoing what everyone else has been saying the past 24 hours anyway. I’m getting tired of stating things that are already completely obvious to 95% of the people here. Early in our interactions you kept labeling me as bitter. You’re damn right I am. The next time Chiarelli makes a deal, you will get to hear the new stuff from me. I promise.

I get a kick out of how you describe any negative feedback (except the Lucic signing) as “irrational”. Please keep doing that. Also how you claim you supported the Koskinen signing from day one. Not because of any intel or viewing, but just because of the person who made the transaction. That right there tells me everything I need to know about you as an Oiler fan.

[Updated on: Sun, 23 December 2018 09:26]

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725787 is a reply to message #725741 ]
Sat, 22 December 2018 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

shoop wrote on Sat, 22 December 2018 22:27

You don't mention Chiarelli's imagined failures often enough? Really?

Imagined failures? The Oilers are as deep as a puddle and barely a competitive team. The only reason for success is McDavid and stellar goalie play by Koski. I give him full props for the latter, I didnt see that coming but I dont think even he did, especially after the preseason.

BTW I read on twitter that today makes 2 goals in the last 82 games for Lucic. Another fun way to look at it; 2 in the last calendar year.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725805 is a reply to message #725787 ]
Sun, 23 December 2018 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

PlusOne wrote on Sun, 23 December 2018 06:44

Imagined failures? The Oilers are as deep as a puddle and barely a competitive team. The only reason for success is McDavid and stellar goalie play by Koski. I give him full props for the latter, I didnt see that coming but I dont think even he did, especially after the preseason.

BTW I read on twitter that today makes 2 goals in the last 82 games for Lucic. Another fun way to look at it; 2 in the last calendar year.

Deep as a puddle? Really? How many teams in the league can lose three of their top six defencemen and still be in a playoff spot?

One of the true bright spots in Chia's time with the Oilers is the fact that the farm system is probably the most talented in the history of the team.

The Lucic signing has been horrible. No doubt about that.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725817 is a reply to message #725805 ]
Sun, 23 December 2018 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

shoop wrote on Sun, 23 December 2018 09:02

PlusOne wrote on Sun, 23 December 2018 06:44

Deep as a puddle? Really? How many teams in the league can lose three of their top six defencemen and still be in a playoff spot?

One of the true bright spots in Chia's time with the Oilers is the fact that the farm system is probably the most talented in the history of the team.

The Lucic signing has been horrible. No doubt about that.

Yes, really.

- Russell was a late FA for a reason when Chia signed him. On most teams he is 3rd pairing.
- Sekera was hrt 2 years ago, came back last yearand wasnt good. Even before the injury, pinning hopes on him was a bad idea.
- Losing Klefbom hurts. I dont think it is a coincidence that Larsson's worst games of the year have come with Klef out. I think Larsson is now the second best D on our top pair, further strengthening my belief all along that he is a good second pairing guy on a quality team.

MANY teams after this long rebuilding and trading so many assets could have a 3rd pairing with NHL quality d-men, even after 3 injuries. The Oilers have;
Caleb Jones who is doing well but still need more time. He is AHL quallity right now.
Matt Benning who has stalled in any sort of dev and doesnt look at all like an NHL player
Jason Garrison who looks to be done and gets turnstiled every game
Chris Wideman, a healthy scratch EVEN with this lineup
Kevin Gravel. A good surprise this year but is a 6/7 player on a playoff team.

This whole most teams couldnt survive 3 injuries is getting old. It is the new excuse to defend the terrible depth and quality of the group.

Chia's entire strategy seems to be hope for the best, plan for nothing else. If anything goes sideways at all for the team there is no back up plan, or depth.

As far as your comment to the "bright spot" that is the farm system and the "most talented" in team history that is a fun piece of hyperbole.
I mentioned in an earlier post that it is much improved. I think there are some NHL players that will come out of it but this isnt exactly an amazing roster either.
I dont watch a lot of AHL outside of some highlights but the record and individual performance tells me there are some decent talents there that seem to be developing upwards but it isnt like they are tearing the roof of the building.

Deep as a puddle.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725742 is a reply to message #725732 ]
Sat, 22 December 2018 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

g2k wrote on Sat, 22 December 2018 20:07

NetBOG wrote on Sat, 22 December 2018 19:39

Eberle got shipped out for scraps. I don't know what happened to him, but by the end of 2016 he was broken. He actually should look smart for this deal. $6 million for maybe 45 pts is too much.

How does he look smart? What did he do with all this extra cap space he gained in the move?

In my opinion it’s just another fail that doesn’t get mentioned enough.

Uh, he paid McDavid and Draisaitl.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725752 is a reply to message #725742 ]
Sat, 22 December 2018 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Sat, 22 December 2018 21:32

g2k wrote on Sat, 22 December 2018 20:07

NetBOG wrote on Sat, 22 December 2018 19:39

Eberle got shipped out for scraps. I don't know what happened to him, but by the end of 2016 he was broken. He actually should look smart for this deal. $6 million for maybe 45 pts is too much.

How does he look smart? What did he do with all this extra cap space he gained in the move?

In my opinion it’s just another fail that doesn’t get mentioned enough.

Uh, he paid McDavid and Draisaitl.

Uh. Nice try. You are conviently missing a gap in the timeline there.

When did Eberles contract come off the cap? When did those contracts come onto the cap? You already knew that though.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725755 is a reply to message #725752 ]
Sat, 22 December 2018 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

g2k wrote on Sat, 22 December 2018 21:52

When did Eberles contract come off the cap? When did those contracts come onto the cap? You already knew that though.

He was traded the summer that Drai's extension kicked in and a year before McDavid's started. The Oilers had some of the cap space for 1 year, but you couldn't tie that up on anybody that had a deal that continued into this year. It would have been taking a chance keeping Eberle, because if it got to where he is now, they couldn't give him away.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725763 is a reply to message #725755 ]
Sat, 22 December 2018 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Sat, 22 December 2018 22:08

g2k wrote on Sat, 22 December 2018 21:52

He was traded the summer that Drai's extension kicked in and a year before McDavid's started. The Oilers had some of the cap space for 1 year, but you couldn't tie that up on anybody that had a deal that continued into this year. It would have been taking a chance keeping Eberle, because if it got to where he is now, they couldn't give him away.

You are correct. The Draisail deal came on the books in 17/18. I also recall the unessecary buyout of Pouliot freeing up more space back then as well. Do you recall how much was left over??

I don’t really buy your rationale about not being able to use that cap space because you can’t have a contract that extended into the McDavid contract. Chiarelli will only do 2+ year deals? Teams don’t sign players for one season? Perhaps I’m missing what you are saying. Please clarify.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725788 is a reply to message #725085 ]
Sat, 22 December 2018 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

I wonder if this interview with Nicholson was done before the Dec 11 game? Could have been the hockey gods trying to save their son McDavid by taking out Klef and Russell after they heard making the playoffs would keep Chia in charge :)

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725791 is a reply to message #725788 ]
Sat, 22 December 2018 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 22 December 2018 23:45

I wonder if this interview with Nicholson was done before the Dec 11 game? Could have been the hockey gods trying to save their son McDavid by taking out Klef and Russell after they heard making the playoffs would keep Chia in charge :)

Perhaps, but don’t underestimate the lack of accountability of this organization.

A Russell injury on its own can be a “get out of jail free” card for almost any pinch.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725822 is a reply to message #725791 ]
Sun, 23 December 2018 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

[quote title=g2k wrote on Sun, 23 December 2018 06:55]

Perhaps, but don’t underestimate the lack of accountability of this organization.

A Russell injury on its own can be a “get out of jail free” card for almost any pinch.

Losing Russell is a massive difference to losing Klefbom and Russell.

When has Russell been the sole top four D injured and it was used as a get out of jail free card?

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725823 is a reply to message #725822 ]
Sun, 23 December 2018 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

[quote title=shoop wrote on Sun, 23 December 2018 12:48]
g2k wrote on Sun, 23 December 2018 06:55

Losing Russell is a massive difference to losing Klefbom and Russell.

When has Russell been the sole top four D injured and it was used as a get out of jail free card?

Good grief. That’s not what I was trying to say at all.

You know what? Never mind. I shouldn’t have to pull out an easel and a pointer every time you miss the point.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725826 is a reply to message #725823 ]
Sun, 23 December 2018 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

g2k wrote on Sun, 23 December 2018 20:07

You know what? Never mind. I shouldn’t have to pull out an easel and a pointer every time you miss the point.

The whole concept of a 'get out of jail free card' is still pretty bizarre.

There was no way for Chiarelli to know at the beginning of the league year that Sekera was going to get hurt again. It's easy to say it was foreseeable, but that money was still on the cap and his contract was unmovable so not really sure what someone with a crystal ball would have done differently.

Hopefully, Sekera comes back healthy. Then the complaints will be why he wasn't brought back earlier. If Sekera comes back and looks horrible like he did last year than the complaint will be he was brought back too soon.

Once Russell comes back the D looks better.

Nurse-Larsson
Russel-Jones
Gravel-Benning

Looks decent when Klefa comes back

Klefa-Larsson
Nurse-Jones
Gravel-Russel

If Sekera comes back and can perform closer to his 2016-17 play than his 2017-18 play the D looks better than it did in 2016-17

Klefa-Larsson
Nurse-Jones
Sekera-Russel

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725832 is a reply to message #725826 ]
Sun, 23 December 2018 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

shoop wrote on Sun, 23 December 2018 17:07

g2k wrote on Sun, 23 December 2018 20:07

The whole concept of a 'get out of jail free card' is still pretty bizarre.

There was no way for Chiarelli to know at the beginning of the league year that Sekera was going to get hurt again. It's easy to say it was foreseeable, but that money was still on the cap and his contract was unmovable so not really sure what someone with a crystal ball would have done differently.

Hopefully, Sekera comes back healthy. Then the complaints will be why he wasn't brought back earlier. If Sekera comes back and looks horrible like he did last year than the complaint will be he was brought back too soon.

Once Russell comes back the D looks better.

Nurse-Larsson
Russel-Jones
Gravel-Benning

Looks decent when Klefa comes back

Klefa-Larsson
Nurse-Jones
Gravel-Russel

If Sekera comes back and can perform closer to his 2016-17 play than his 2017-18 play the D looks better than it did in 2016-17

Klefa-Larsson
Nurse-Jones
Sekera-Russel

So let's talk about Panicky Pete.

Everyone knows about his trades by now. If you want to see his negotiating skills (and talent assessment skills) in action, go watch this video:

Most people around here will have already seen it. It's a master class in what not to do. The groupthink for the management team is incredible, he maintains a course of action when his whole reason for that action disappears, and his call with the other GM is just embarrassing. Anyone who's done any negotiating professionally should not be that bad at it. He's lowering his ask while he's making it. It's incredible.

So it shouldn't be that surprising that he has come off very weak on both the trade front and the signings front.

Let's say he DID need to get rid of Taylor Hall. I don't believe that for a second, but if it WAS true - he still managed to sell low. Even Chiarelli himself said that Hall for Larsson was in the Devils favour on the day he made the trade, and yet he failed to get even an extra asset included in the deal. Not even a seventh round pick.

Then, despite the criticism on that one, the next summer he trades a 55 point right wing for a 35 point right wing - straight across again! These other GMs clearly believed these players weren't write-offs - otherwise they're not at the table - but still, we get completely fleeced. Even people who dislike Hall & Eberle should be able to see that the other team doesn't truly believe it was addition by subtraction for the Oilers, so we should have been able to extract more than a straight downgrade - and yet we failed to do that. That's on the GM.

The signings - everyone knows. There aren't a lot who'll defend those. He's generally given players too much for too long and often thrown in a no-move clause. Even the untested 30 year old goalie from the KHL got a NMC. Lucic is of course the banner deal there. Do you think that Seattle might take him off our hands if we gave a first rounder to make it happen? It might not be enough and Lucic would have to agree to go. Best case scenario might be his pride getting the best of him and the organization convincing him to retire.

The most damning thing though might be looking at his instinctive reads. Two seasons ago, with the team playing well, seeing unprecedented good health and with no clear contender in the West, Chia publicly says he doesn't think the team is ready. I don't necessarily believe what hockey execs say, except that Chia is remarkably honest when he does talk to the media. It's like he unaware that you don't have to signal to everyone what he's doing, or that saying things like they aren't ready to compete can have a negative impact on the team.

He lives up to what he said too - he doesn't to much to improve the team only trading Davidson for Desharnais. Adding depth might have been a difference maker in beating a battered Ducks lineup. His failure to bet on the team cost them a shot.

The playoff run did expose some weaknesses on the team - they had mediocre secondary scoring and the defence wasn't capable of covering for a couple injuries, even in the short term. Somehow though, in just a couple of months the team had convinced Chiarelli that not only were they now ready to be contenders, but they could do so with a downgraded team. He dealt off Eberle, bought out Pouliot and did little more than that. He ignored the fact that the health of the team in 2015-16 covered for the depth issues, and the organization seemed surprised that that level of health wasn't repeatable again the next season. Defensive injuries were a big part of the collapse. It's worth noting, you'll find very few generational players who's teams crumble after their first playoff appearance. McDavid's Oilers are fairly unique that way. I think that Lemieux's Penguins are the only other team to stumble after they get to the dance, but A) Lemieux missed significant time that season and B) they won both the division and the Stanley Cup the next year.

After last year's ugly season, Chia again decides to mostly stand pat. His big forward acquisitions from the summer have not contributed much. Chiasson was almost an after-thought...the last player they signed, including behind Jason Garrison. There was no sense from the team that he was going to have this kind of season - they just needed a body. This is the fourth season of McDavid's career. The team should be competing for a Cup, but if anything, the supporting cast today is weaker than what they had around him when he first came in to the league. Chia's incompetence (with the help of the Oilers brain trust - Lowe is never far from the scene, no matter what lies this team tells about his role) has cost us significantly. Keeping him here just risks further damage.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725840 is a reply to message #725832 ]
Mon, 24 December 2018 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 24 December 2018 06:03

So let's talk about Panicky Pete.

Everyone knows about his trades by now. If you want to see his negotiating skills (and talent assessment skills) in action, go watch this video:

Let's say he DID need to get rid of Taylor Hall. I don't believe that for a second, but if it WAS true - he still managed to sell low. Even Chiarelli himself said that Hall for Larsson was in the Devils favour on the day he made the trade, and yet he failed to get even an extra asset included in the deal. Not even a seventh round pick.

The signings - everyone knows. There aren't a lot who'll defend those. He's generally given players too much for too long and often thrown in a no-move clause. Even the untested 30 year old goalie from the KHL got a NMC. Lucic is of course the banner deal there. Do you think that Seattle might take him off our hands if we gave a first rounder to make it happen? It might not be enough and Lucic would have to agree to go. Best case scenario might be his pride getting the best of him and the organization convincing him to retire.

What a mature nickname you have for Chiarelli.

Of course I have seen the video. Your interpretation of the video is coloured by your blind hatred for Chiarelli. There wasn't a market for Hall. The lack of maturity and need to grow up was evident in his poor first season with the Devils He grew up last year and good on him. Hall is having a good season but the Devils are dead freakin' last in the league. Of course that has nothing to do with Hall, right... But if Chiarelli had gotten a 7th rounder thrown in that makes a difference? lmao

Hall was the best player on a team that was the worst in the league once with the Oilers and third worst once. Now he is on the verge of being the best player on the Devils who are currently the worst team in the league. But none of that has anything to do with the player. Right icon_lol

You are criticizing the Koskinen signing at this point? Even @g2k admits it was a good signing in hindsight. The Russell signing still looks pretty good. The Nurse extension is working out. Even the Talbot extension looks pretty good now. Another year for Khaira at $675K is also looking pretty good.

As I have said repeatedly, the Lucic signing has been horrible. As the all knowing expert on GMing what are the cap implications of Lucic retiring? In what freaking world is a player going to leave $24M on the table? Lucic is still an NHLer. Just not a $6M player or even close. If the Oilers were paying Khaira $6M for his play this season would anyone object? No. Lucic would be fine

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725843 is a reply to message #725840 ]
Mon, 24 December 2018 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

shoop wrote on Mon, 24 December 2018 07:22

Of course I have seen the video. Your interpretation of the video is coloured by your blind hatred for Chiarelli. There wasn't a market for Hall. The lack of maturity and need to grow up was evident in his poor first season with the Devils He grew up last year and good on him. Hall is having a good season but the Devils are dead freakin' last in the league. Of course that has nothing to do with Hall, right... But if Chiarelli had gotten a 7th rounder thrown in that makes a difference? lmao

Hall was the best player on a team that was the worst in the league once with the Oilers and third worst once. Now he is on the verge of being the best player on the Devils who are currently the worst team in the league. But none of that has anything to do with the player. Right icon_lol

If there isn't a market for Hall, you don't trade him. Same for Seguin, if the reason for trading him disappears (if we keep Horton, Seguin has to go, but Horton wasn't staying) you don't trade him. Neither of these moves had to happen, but they did because of Chiarelli's inability to manage assets. That's why hanging onto a playoff spot in McDavid's 4th year (despite having 3 d-men out for the last week or so) doesn't give him a pass.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725847 is a reply to message #725840 ]
Mon, 24 December 2018 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

shoop wrote on Mon, 24 December 2018 06:22

If the Oilers were paying Khaira $6M for his play this season would anyone object? No. Lucic would be fine

I'm sorry, can you clarify this? Because it sounds like you're saying that nobody would have a problem if Khaira were making $6M this season.

As to the Hall stuff, I'm always amazed with how Oilers fans try to justify the trade using NJ team results, given the obvious parallels to McDavid and the Oilers' team performance.

Yes, the Devils are last in the league, on pace for 74 points. Last year's Oilers finished with 78 points. Was McDavid also a total loser last year? And you can't even just blame Talbot. This year's Devils are on pace to score 239 goals, last years Oilers: 234 GF.

As for playoffs, I'm skeptical. This year's Oilers are on pace to score even less (232 GF), and that's despite McDavid on pace to surpass his goal and point totals from last year. If that's not an indictment of the team that Chiarelli has built around McDavid, I'm not sure what is. They're on pace to give up less GA, but not enough imo to get them into the playoffs. Currently on pace to give up 253 GF, for a differential of -21. The team with the worst goal differential last year to make the playoffs was, ironically, the Devils at +4. The Oilers current record is better than they have played this year.

And it wasn't just McLellan. Oilers have played 16 games under Hitchcock and scored 44 goals and given up 45. So better, but still not in the positive, and if they keep scoring like that, they're likely to lose more games than they win.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725855 is a reply to message #725847 ]
Mon, 24 December 2018 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Goose wrote on Mon, 24 December 2018 18:18

I'm sorry, can you clarify this? Because it sounds like you're saying that nobody would have a problem if Khaira were making $6M this season.

That isn't what I mean, and doesn't really sound like it. Two points will clarify what I meant.

1. Lucic is in the third year of his deal. One decent year and one horrible year. If Lucic were playing at the level Khaira has been playing this year no one would have a problem with it, even at $6M a year. The contract itself wouldn't even look that bad.

2. Khaira was signed to a helluva deal. $675K for a winger who has looked like he belongs on the second line is pretty darned good. Just wondering where the props are to Chiarelli for that extension.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725857 is a reply to message #725855 ]
Mon, 24 December 2018 17:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

shoop wrote on Mon, 24 December 2018 16:06

Goose wrote on Mon, 24 December 2018 18:18

That isn't what I mean, and doesn't really sound like it. Two points will clarify what I meant.

1. Lucic is in the third year of his deal. One decent year and one horrible year. If Lucic were playing at the level Khaira has been playing this year no one would have a problem with it, even at $6M a year. The contract itself wouldn't even look that bad.

What level are you talking about? Khaira has 2 goals/13 pts in 33 games, and this is worth $6M?

shoop wrote on Mon, 24 December 2018 16:06

2. Khaira was signed to a helluva deal. $675K for a winger who has looked like he belongs on the second line is pretty darned good. Just wondering where the props are to Chiarelli for that extension.

Khaira doesn't belong on the 2nd line. He's only there because the forward depth on this team is crap.

Seriously, Chia, you gotta just stop.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725858 is a reply to message #725857 ]
Mon, 24 December 2018 20:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Mon, 24 December 2018 18:26

Khaira doesn't belong on the 2nd line. He's only there because the forward depth on this team is crap.

Seriously, Chia, you gotta just stop.

This.

Though I’d add the defensive depth on this team as a whole is crap as well.

Hitch can only get so much out of these guys. It comes down to Chiarelli not providing the appropriate pieces which includes depth.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725860 is a reply to message #725858 ]
Mon, 24 December 2018 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh2.0  is currently offline Babaganoosh2.0

No Cups

Just a funny read from vice sports. Several months old but still relevant.

https://sports.vice.com/en_ca/article/evqmxp/bad-owners-are- why-terrible-nhl-general-managers-like-marc-bergevin-peter-c hiarelli-and-garth-snow-arent-fired

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725863 is a reply to message #725860 ]
Tue, 25 December 2018 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Tue, 25 December 2018 04:49

https://sports.vice.com/en_ca/article/evqmxp/bad-owners-are- why-terrible-nhl-general-managers-like-marc-bergevin-peter-c hiarelli-and-garth-snow-arent-fired

The author's sense of humour is pretty lacking.

Like this 'satire' piece https://sports.vice.com/en_ca/article/evb5xz/a-totally-ratio nal-case-to-relocate-canadas-nhl-teams-to-the-united-states A Totally Rational Case to Relocate Canada's NHL Teams to the United States.

Vice is horribad on politics and pop culture. Putrid on sports and satire.

[Updated on: Tue, 25 December 2018 01:23]

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725864 is a reply to message #725863 ]
Tue, 25 December 2018 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Slim Jim Phantom Call  is currently offline Slim Jim Phantom Call

No Cups

shoop wrote on Tue, 25 December 2018 01:21

Like this 'satire' piece https://sports.vice.com/en_ca/article/evb5xz/a-totally-ratio nal-case-to-relocate-canadas-nhl-teams-to-the-united-states A Totally Rational Case to Relocate Canada's NHL Teams to the United States.

Lighten the hell up man.
And a tip from a lifer here, lay off your condescending bs.

In fairness to Hall, I've wanted to throw a waterbottle at Eakins all season.
~nullterm 03/22/2014

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725866 is a reply to message #725864 ]
Tue, 25 December 2018 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Ales Cooper wrote on Tue, 25 December 2018 02:53

Lighten the hell up man.

Shoop is obviously a troll.

Anyone who is satisfied with how far backwards Chiarelli has taken this club since being here is clearly trolling this forum. It becomes more and more obvious the more he/she opens his/her mouth. Bragging up the Khaira contract now? Bread crumbs.

I just feel dumb for not catching on earlier. Gotcha! Oh well...

[Updated on: Tue, 25 December 2018 08:15]

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725867 is a reply to message #725866 ]
Tue, 25 December 2018 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

g2k wrote on Tue, 25 December 2018 08:12

Ales Cooper wrote on Tue, 25 December 2018 02:53

Lighten the hell up man.

Shoop is obviously a troll.

Anyone who is satisfied with how far backwards Chiarelli has taken this club since being here is clearly trolling this forum. It becomes more and more obvious the more he/she opens his/her mouth. Bragging up the Khaira contract now? Bread crumbs.

I just feel dumb for not catching on earlier. Gotcha! Oh well...

I caught on as soon as he said people have a irrational hatred for PC. No they hate him cause he sucks at his job. Hey Shoop whats the motivation for coming off like a Jackass. OBC paying you or what?

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725839 is a reply to message #725085 ]
Mon, 24 December 2018 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Christmas break... and we’re tied for a wild card spot. Wouldn’t know that by reading posts around here of late. Maybe it’s our shoes are too tight... perhaps our heads aren’t screwed on just right. Or maybe it’s that our hearts are two sizes too small. Whatever it is, though we’ve had some bad games since losing Klefbom and Russell, we’re still right in the thick of things. This team may not be as talented as the Tampa Bay Lightning, or have the compete level of the Nashville Predators. But we have a Coach who is demanding more out of these magic beans than his predecessor which got us back to a position to battle for a playoff spot. Hitch is running the MOGA campaign. I’m on board.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725841 is a reply to message #725839 ]
Mon, 24 December 2018 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 24 December 2018 14:06

Christmas break... and we’re tied for a wild card spot. Wouldn’t know that by reading posts around here of late. Maybe it’s our shoes are too tight... perhaps our heads aren’t screwed on just right. Or maybe it’s that our hearts are two sizes too small. Whatever it is, though we’ve had some bad games since losing Klefbom and Russell, we’re still right in the thick of things. This team may not be as talented as the Tampa Bay Lightning, or have the compete level of the Nashville Predators. But we have a Coach who is demanding more out of these magic beans than his predecessor which got us back to a position to battle for a playoff spot. Hitch is running the MOGA campaign. I’m on board.

Excellent post.

The Oilers are in a decent spot. When was the last time these team was in a playoff spot (or losing out on a tiebreaker) at the Christmas break?

It's make or break time for this team. After the break the Oilers will see where they are with healthy defencemen. Any word on the Russell injury? I am not sure when he is due back.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725842 is a reply to message #725839 ]
Mon, 24 December 2018 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

If the Oilers miss the playoffs this year, I really can't blame them. They lost half of their D, and they're still kind of holding it together.

Not a lot of teams lose that much depth, or have that much depth to make up for that many loses.

This is a very basic view point, but I think it really was the coaching all along. T-Mac had seriously terrible special teams strategy, so, I guess I don't blame Chia as much as some do. Still not good, but not terrible.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725846 is a reply to message #725839 ]
Mon, 24 December 2018 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jerekybeef  is currently offline jerekybeef

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 24 December 2018 06:06

TMac had to go. His message, whether it was good or bad, was falling on deaf ears. Chia has to go. He has mismanaged assets since his hiring. Party culture or not, a couple decent players were traded away for very little return, cap space was preserved with little return, gaps were never filled with able bodied players when long term injuries happened to Sekera over 2 seasons. Brosoit was let go in favour of subpar backups, Koski aside. It’s just been one debacle after another. Aside from Chaisson I can’t think of a decent pick up. Eberle for nothing, Hall for Larson was lopsided no matter how much Larson has helped, Benning is not good, Kassian is over paid, Lucic is a complete joke and was the day he was signed for a small fortune.

These are all grounds for dismissal. He has done nothing to surround the best player in the league with half way competent players. If anyone out there has done any group projects, you’ll know that you’re only as good as your weakest team member. One person can’t do all the work and expect that to be sustainable. Our scoring depth sucks, our defence even when healthy is not anything that is to be feared. Without Hitch being here we would not be in a playoff contention conversation given the trajectory of the daunted TMac squad.

"Make the Oilers great again" - Donny Tramp

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725853 is a reply to message #725839 ]
Mon, 24 December 2018 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 24 December 2018 07:06

The bolded part. That a troll job or something..?

That’s what you say if you are cheering for an expansion team. Not a team that’s been awarded FOUR 1st overalls in the past 8 years. And you know who is already into the fourth year of his deal. You can throw a 3rd and 4th overall in that 8 year period as well.

Holding a wildcard spot on Christmas Eve. I don’t care what size you think my heart may be, that’s garbage.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725854 is a reply to message #725853 ]
Mon, 24 December 2018 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

g2k wrote on Mon, 24 December 2018 15:56

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 24 December 2018 07:06

The bolded part. That a troll job or something..?

That’s what you say if you are cheering for an expansion team. Not a team that’s been awarded FOUR 1st overalls in the past 8 years. And you know who is already into the fourth year of his deal. You can throw a 3rd and 4th overall in that 8 year period as well.

Holding a wildcard spot on Christmas Eve. I don’t care what size you think my heart may be, that’s garbage.

Perhaps it is a message from the Christmas troll.

We are where we due to ineffective coaching and inept management. Coaching has improved, vastly, which is the reason we are where we are right now.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725862 is a reply to message #725854 ]
Tue, 25 December 2018 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 24 December 2018 22:51

We are where we due to ineffective coaching and inept management. Coaching has improved, vastly, which is the reason we are where we are right now.

If it truly were inept management how is this team in a playoff spot?

I get it's cool and all to hate on Chiarelli, but there really is a bright side.

This team is miles better than the decade of darkness. In the last 12 years they have been in a playoff position at the Christmas break exactly twice.

Making the playoffs this season saves Chiareli's job. No playoffs and he gets canned. That's pretty reasoanble.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725868 is a reply to message #725862 ]
Tue, 25 December 2018 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

shoop wrote on Tue, 25 December 2018 01:15

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 24 December 2018 22:51

If it truly were inept management how is this team in a playoff spot?

I get it's cool and all to hate on Chiarelli, but there really is a bright side.

This team is miles better than the decade of darkness. In the last 12 years they have been in a playoff position at the Christmas break exactly twice.

Making the playoffs this season saves Chiareli's job. No playoffs and he gets canned. That's pretty reasoanble.

How much credit does a management group really deserve for picking #1 in 2015 though? 4 years in, we are at best a bubble playoff team with the best player in the league. Is that really the bar?

It's not only Chia of course. This has been a very consistent disaster for a long time with the same buddies in charge the whole time, with a rotating group of dummies below them to add their own brand of suck to the pile and have blame passed off to.

Merry Christmas btw! Back to Lego's after a daily oilers management bash :)

[Updated on: Tue, 25 December 2018 11:20]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725875 is a reply to message #725868 ]
Wed, 26 December 2018 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 25 December 2018 18:19

How much credit does a management group really deserve for picking #1 in 2015 though? 4 years in, we are at best a bubble playoff team with the best player in the league. Is that really the bar?

It's not only Chia of course. This has been a very consistent disaster for a long time with the same buddies in charge the whole time, with a rotating group of dummies below them to add their own brand of suck to the pile and have blame passed off to.

What is the bar then?

Who is this magical GM that's going to get this team there and what will they do to make that happen?

Merry Boxing Day to you! Back to reading an actual book after a daily voice of reason against the management haters. :)

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725876 is a reply to message #725875 ]
Wed, 26 December 2018 18:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

shoop wrote on Wed, 26 December 2018 17:42

Who is this magical GM that's going to get this team there and what will they do to make that happen?

I think thats the $64,000 question.

Who is ready to come in and do a better job? What is their plan to take this group players and make them world beaters? Does it involve moving out another set of underlings and starting the drafting/scouting/development from the start all over again?

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725877 is a reply to message #725875 ]
Wed, 26 December 2018 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

What is the bar then?

Merry Boxing Day to you! Back to reading an actual book after a daily voice of reason against the management haters. :)

You mean a real book or just one with lots of pretty pictures of all the good players Panicky Pete traded for nothing. I'm normally not one to bash other posters but I can't wait till MJ bans your ass.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725878 is a reply to message #725875 ]
Wed, 26 December 2018 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

What is the bar then?

The bar for 4 years in with the best player in the league? Should be a consistent contender by now IMO. The only team to accomplish less with a player on McDavid's caliber were the pathetic penguins in the 80's. But, by years 7 and 8 Mario was winning 2 straight cups. We shall see if Lowe and Friends can get anywhere close to that in a few years.

I think as a starting point for who to run the team. I would go with the low bar of a group that would not spend 2 years trading away speed and skill from their team for big lugs, and then in year 3 say they need to get faster and more skilled. That's a super low bar, but with at least that mentality we would be way further ahead of the game right now.

With things as they are, I think the longer you go with his clueless bunch that chases trends years too late, the more damage the next guy needs to repair.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725880 is a reply to message #725878 ]
Wed, 26 December 2018 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 27 December 2018 02:04

I think as a starting point for who to run the team. I would go with the low bar of a group that would not spend 2 years trading away speed and skill from their team for big lugs, and then in year 3 say they need to get faster and more skilled. That's a super low bar, but with at least that mentality we would be way further ahead of the game right now.

Who? Come up with a name? Any name. The question was about looking forward. It's useless and painful to read that you can't name one thing positive you would look for in a new GM or come up with even one name.

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Thu, 27 December 2018 01:28

You mean a real book or just one with lots of pretty pictures of all the good players Panicky Pete traded for nothing. I'm normally not one to bash other posters but I can't wait till MJ bans your ass.

What would I get banned for? Not hating Chiarelli? If that's an offence that gets you banned from this site so be it. Pretty loserish reason to ban somebody. I think people get banned for being overly aggressive with other posters, idiotic behaviour like trying to dox people or post nasty, ignorant stuff. Moderators can do what they want, private site and all, but there is absolutely nothing I have posted that should even be considered worthy of banning.

NetBOG wrote on Thu, 27 December 2018 01:17

I think thats the $64,000 question.

Who is ready to come in and do a better job? What is their plan to take this group players and make them world beaters? Does it involve moving out another set of underlings and starting the drafting/scouting/development from the start all over again?

You'd think all the Chia haters could answer your question.

Of course any new GM is going to start the process over which means another season (or two) lost.

[Updated on: Thu, 27 December 2018 11:11]

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725881 is a reply to message #725880 ]
Thu, 27 December 2018 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

shoop wrote on Wed, 26 December 2018 23:48

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 27 December 2018 02:04

Who? Come up with a name? Any name. The question was about looking forward. It's useless and painful to read that you can't name one thing positive you would look for in a new GM or come up with even one name.

Ray Shero is a simple one. The last guy that got a generational talent his first cup win. The guy that fleeced us for Hall and could make the playoffs spending 10M less and inheriting a team that was far more of a mess and devoid of talent than what Chia took over here.

Shero had to make a big move to get Hall. We already had him, plus McDavid, plus Drai, plus Nuge.

So yeah, there is a name of a guy that recognized the trend of the league many years earlier than Chia and our gang here. He just had a crappier starting point and has to spend 10-15M below the cap over in Jersey (although, what does 10-15M really get you? A 4th line of Lucic-Spooner-Kassian? guess it's not that much). He was also hired around a month after Chia was so it may actually be a totally realistic name. Aside from his lack of OBC connections i guess.

[Updated on: Thu, 27 December 2018 00:09]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725882 is a reply to message #725881 ]
Thu, 27 December 2018 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 27 December 2018 00:05

Ray Shero is a simple one. The last guy that got a generational talent his first cup win. The guy that fleeced us for Hall and could make the playoffs spending 10M less and inheriting a team that was far more of a mess and devoid of talent than what Chia took over here.

Shero had to make a big move to get Hall. We already had him, plus McDavid, plus Drai, plus Nuge.

So yeah, there is a name of a guy that recognized the trend of the league many years earlier than Chia and our gang here. He just had a crappier starting point and has to spend 10-15M below the cap over in Jersey (although, what does 10-15M really get you? A 4th line of Lucic-Spooner-Kassian? guess it's not that much). He was also hired around a month after Chia was so it may actually be a totally realistic name. Aside from his lack of OBC connections i guess.

Of all the guys you could pick to be a change from Chiarelli, you pick a guy that inherited a team on the rise, had 8-10 years of moderate success (he did win a cup), then moved to another team and has struggled for 3-4 years?

Pages (9): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #48)
Next Topic:Oilers select 2nd rd (#62) - Olivier Rodrigue
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca