This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - NicholsonPages (9): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725690 is a reply to message #725689 ]
Fri, 21 December 2018 18:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

shoop wrote on Fri, 21 December 2018 17:44

I would never hire you. Constant bitterness and sarcasm is the exact opposite of what I look for in employees.

And to be fair, if you're the guy running the Oilers, you're really only trying to understand if you played for the team in the 1980s, worked for the Oil Kings, or are related to someone else already in the organization

Anyone remember those old SNL skits for "Lowered Expectations Matchmaking"?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Send a private message to this user  

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725695 is a reply to message #725689 ]
Sat, 22 December 2018 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

I would never hire you. Constant bitterness and sarcasm is the exact opposite of what I look for in employees.

I’m guessing it would be a government job anyway.

Not my thing..

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725696 is a reply to message #725695 ]
Sat, 22 December 2018 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

g2k wrote on Sat, 22 December 2018 07:14

I’m guessing it would be a government job anyway.

Not my thing..

Not to offend my friends, family and board members that work in government. My father served.

My sarcasm got in the way.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725698 is a reply to message #725696 ]
Sat, 22 December 2018 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shoop  is currently offline shoop

No Cups

Love it. Politically correct beta trolling on message boards apologizing for childishness for fear it might 'offend' someone.

Thanks for proving my point about your undesirability as an employee due to bitterness and sarcasm.

Not sure what your skill set is, but it certainly isn't people skills from your behaviour here.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725703 is a reply to message #725698 ]
Sat, 22 December 2018 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

shoop wrote on Sat, 22 December 2018 13:04

Love it. Politically correct beta trolling on message boards apologizing for childishness for fear it might 'offend' someone.

Thanks for proving my point about your undesirability as an employee due to bitterness and sarcasm.

Not sure what your skill set is, but it certainly isn't people skills from your behaviour here.

We obviously have different expectations of the management team. I’m fine with you feeling I’m childish in the way I express my own expectations.

My bitterness? Can’t sue you for slander there.

Don’t really agree with the troll part too much though.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725705 is a reply to message #725703 ]
Sat, 22 December 2018 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

It's different expectations in terms of public behaviour.

Childishness and bitterness are at the very heart of trolling.

My expectations of management are making the playoffs at a minimum.

With the Devils four points out of dead last in the league and the Oilers in a playoff spot just before the Christmas break I'm not sure what the 'big trades' Chiarelli is bad at.

tbh. I'm favourably inclined to Chia because I agreed with the need for a culture change on this team. Hall and Eberle were part of the problem. When it happened the Oilers looked to have lost the Hall for Larsson as a pure hockey trade. But I thought it was ok for the culture and cap considerations plus the need for a top pairing D. Hall is having a good statistical season but he had a few of those with the Oilers when they never had a sniff of the playoffs.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725708 is a reply to message #725705 ]
Sat, 22 December 2018 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

shoop wrote on Sat, 22 December 2018 15:16

It's different expectations in terms of public behaviour.

Childishness and bitterness are at the very heart of trolling.

My expectations of management are making the playoffs at a minimum.

With the Devils four points out of dead last in the league and the Oilers in a playoff spot just before the Christmas break I'm not sure what the 'big trades' Chiarelli is bad at.

tbh. I'm favourably inclined to Chia because I agreed with the need for a culture change on this team. Hall and Eberle were part of the problem. When it happened the Oilers looked to have lost the Hall for Larsson as a pure hockey trade. But I thought it was ok for the culture and cap considerations plus the need for a top pairing D. Hall is having a good statistical season but he had a few of those with the Oilers when they never had a sniff of the playoffs.

One of the biggest mistakes that fans make - especially those who only look superficially at player analysis - is confusing team performance as an indication of the skill level/attitude/compete level etc. of star players. Hockey is not a game that can be won by a single player and being a part of a bad team doesn't make a player a loser.

It's worth noting that those silly misconceptions usually disappear as soon as that player is on a good team. No one thinks that Kessel is a guy your team can't win with any more - he probably should have a Conn Smythe Trophy - and yet just a few years ago he was seeing similar comments to what we see for Hall.

It's harder to see the forest for the trees in Edmonton, where we have so many crappy sportswriters covering the team who still make these errors. It feeds those fans who just don't know any better and don't take the time to look at anything underlying. Some of that, I believe is intentional, as those sportswriters will intentionally cover for Lowe, MacT, Chia and the rest out of misplaced sense of loyalty to one of the worst management groups in league history.

Any way you cut it, the Hall trade is an embarrassment for the Oilers, and it's embarrassing for the notion that we have "the best fans in the league" that so many Oilers fans have willfully made themselves blind to something that outside of Edmonton is clear to 99% of any other hockey fans.

Four seasons in, Sidney Crosby had been to the Finals twice and won a Stanley Cup. McDavid, in the same time has had one playoff season, and are a bubble team to make the playoffs a second time. No one looks at this team as a contender come playoff time.

Just like Hall, that's not McDavid's fault. He's brilliant and has been really good for the Oilers. The team's management is literally the only thing that hasn't been completely turned over since 2010, they continue to fail, and yet you want to absolve them of blame here?

Consider this about Chia - almost every critical role on the team is being filled by someone who pre-dated Chiarelli. McDavid, Nuge, Draisaitl, Klefbom, Nurse...That's 5/6 of the top scorers on the team. It's 5/6 of the top ice time per game on the team. And we had all those guys before Panicky Pete rode in to town. Almost everything else has been downgraded. Does Alex Chiasson, literally an afterthought who wouldn't have gotten a contract if Upshall hadn't failed his medical, excuse Chia's performance in building the remainder of this team?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725709 is a reply to message #725708 ]
Sat, 22 December 2018 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

The Hall trade is an embarrassment for the Oilers?

The Devils have one playoff win and one playoff appearance since the trade no chance they make the playoffs this year.

The Oilers have a decent shot at their second playoff appearance in three seasons with no Hall. The attitude has changed.

Your attack on Chia is poorly directed. The Lucic signing was horrible, That's the major criticism against Chia.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725714 is a reply to message #725709 ]
Sat, 22 December 2018 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

shoop wrote on Sat, 22 December 2018 15:46

The Hall trade is an embarrassment for the Oilers?

The Devils have one playoff win and one playoff appearance since the trade no chance they make the playoffs this year.

The Oilers have a decent shot at their second playoff appearance in three seasons with no Hall. The attitude has changed.

Your attack on Chia is poorly directed. The Lucic signing was horrible, That's the major criticism against Chia.

The Hall trade was completely lopsided. Even those who felt that the Oil needed to improve the D felt it was a complete overpay for Larsson, including myself. Of course the Oil needed to improve defensively, but the point here is to avoid strengthening one area by turning another into a weakness. Going into this season, the Oil still did not have a particularly strong defense group even before Sek got injured again, and now secondary scoring has become a weakness.

The only reason this team hasn't been ripped apart over the past month and a half is because Hitch is one of the best defensively-minded coaches ever. He took over a team with one of the weakest defense groups in the league and managed to make them win. Goaltending helped, of course, but Hitch's systems always help out their goalies- he made ALLEN look like a Vezina candidate at one point. Even then, Chia could still shoulder blame in that he should have replaced TMac sooner. How would this team be doing now had Hitch started the year as HC? How would things have done last year had he taken over then?

The simple fact is that Chia has not been able to turn this team into a bonafide contender since he got here over 3 years ago. He has not done his job and should be pushed aside for a GM who can, plain and simple.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725704 is a reply to message #725698 ]
Sat, 22 December 2018 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

shoop wrote on Sat, 22 December 2018 13:04

As the lippy newcomer here, it would be great to get your perspective on the performance of a few key members of the organization:

1) Scott Howson - Vice President, Player Development
2) Craig MacTavish - Senior Vice President, Hockey Operations
3) Peter Chiarelli - President of Hockey Operations & General Manager
4) Kevin Lowe - Vice Chair, OEG & Alternate Governor
5) Bob Nicholson - Chief Executive Officer & Vice Chair (OEG)

What do you think the expectations should be on a team that has the best player on the world as part of the roster?

It seems that you may think people here are a little too tough on that group - I'm curious, what is the cut-off for you? What is an acceptable result for this year? What is an acceptable timeline within which to expect a championship out of that "braintrust"?

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725707 is a reply to message #725704 ]
Sat, 22 December 2018 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

How about you shove the lippy part when I was replying to someone being a jerk?

As for your question.

1) Howson - decent guy to have in the room. Didn't do too poorly as the GM in Columbus. Will likely get another shot as GM somewhere in the league someday.

2) MacTavish. - was a good head coach. Freaking horrendous as a GM. The handling of Jultz alone. Nevermind the unnecessary firing of Krueger or hiring Eakins. Will never get a sniff of being a GM in the league.

3) Chiarelli - As already stated I thought the Hall and Eberle trades were necessary for changing the attitude in the locker room. The Reinhart trade looks bad (but I do believe it wasn't Chiarelli's decision). Lucic signing was horrendous. Many many good smaller moves. Moving this team in the right direction.

Not interested in digging through the threads but I'm guessing many people currently criticizing Chia criticized the Koskinen signing at the time it happened. Were you one of them?

4) KLowe - got really lucky in 2005-06 being gifted Pronger. To his credit, he made some smaller moves that season to get the team into the playoffs. Has been an incredible jerk since. The tier one fans comment was a total dick move.

5) Nicholson - as someone who likes Chiarelli I like Nicholson.

Expectations of a championship are an interesting question. I'd expect a trip to the conference finals by 2021-22 and a championship within a couple years of that.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725710 is a reply to message #725707 ]
Sat, 22 December 2018 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

shoop wrote on Sat, 22 December 2018 15:28

Not interested in digging through the threads but I'm guessing many people currently criticizing Chia criticized the Koskinen signing at the time it happened. Were you one of them?

Well I will save you the time. Pretty much everyone on here questioned the signing. I can’t think of one poster that was pumped about it.

I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that you thought it was a great signing though. Otherwise trying to call others out on it makes no sense.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725717 is a reply to message #725710 ]
Sat, 22 December 2018 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

You are correct. Many of the people I know were complaining that the Oilers should have just paid $1M for one of any mediocre backups that were available as a means to attack Chiarelli cuz 'bad cap management'. Instead the team started the season with two guys who were pending FAs and one of them stepped up. Talbot may have some value at the trade deadline.

The Koskinen signing may well have saved the Oilers season along with firing Koala and bringing in Hitchcock.

[Updated on: Sat, 22 December 2018 17:08]

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725719 is a reply to message #725717 ]
Sat, 22 December 2018 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

shoop wrote on Sat, 22 December 2018 17:04

You are correct. Many of the people I know were complaining that the Oilers should have just paid $1M for one of any mediocre backups that were available as a means to attack Chiarelli cuz 'bad cap management'. Instead the team started the season with two guys who were pending FAs and one of them stepped up. Talbot may have some value at the trade deadline.

THe Koskinen signing may well have saved the Oilers season along with firing Koala and bringing in Hitchcock.

If you are honestly going to say you supported that contract when it first happened I’m gonna have to call troll on you yourself.

The name is Billy Tucker.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725721 is a reply to message #725719 ]
Sat, 22 December 2018 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Here was my perspective at the time.

Chia has done pretty well with the smaller deals. Kassian, Maroon in, Talbot, even Montoya ... given that his contract was eligible to be buried, Nurse contract extension.

The crop of $1M to $1.5M backups was incredibly weak last summer. I really didn't trust Talbot to be the undisputed number one and wanted somebody who could push him.

Sure it would have been good to sign Koskinen for less than $2.5M but that's what it cost to get him. I have never seen a full KHL game so didn't really know how Kokinen's video game numbers over there would transfer to the NHL.

tl;dr version because I didn't know anything about the player I was willing to give Chiarelli the benefit of the doubt when many people weren't.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725713 is a reply to message #725707 ]
Sat, 22 December 2018 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

.I really don't want to butt in, but you've been around these forums for what??? a week??? G2K has been here through thick and thin since the very early days of oilfans, and has always made astute observations and heartfelt comments about the Oilers, Oil Kings and the way they are run and the way the players play up to their potential....I don't always agree with G2K's comments on the performance of Oiler players or management but always respect his observations.... I can't and won't try to speak for the others who post regularly here, but I'm sure G2K is regarded as one of the classiest posters around here....

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725796 is a reply to message #725713 ]
Sun, 23 December 2018 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Sat, 22 December 2018 16:45

.I really don't want to butt in, but you've been around these forums for what??? a week??? G2K has been here through thick and thin since the very early days of oilfans, and has always made astute observations and heartfelt comments about the Oilers, Oil Kings and the way they are run and the way the players play up to their potential....I don't always agree with G2K's comments on the performance of Oiler players or management but always respect his observations.... I can't and won't try to speak for the others who post regularly here, but I'm sure G2K is regarded as one of the classiest posters around here....

Seconded. Much respect to the G.

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725800 is a reply to message #725796 ]
Sun, 23 December 2018 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Slim Jim Phantom Call  is currently offline Slim Jim Phantom Call

No Cups

Looks like straight up OEG planted nitwit coming to demean those who don’t praise their lord.
G be money. A passionate fan who actually gives a crap. Mad respect, as even I am losing interest and care because how this org is run.
Take that to your boss.

Sincerely yours,
Tier 3 Fan.

In fairness to Hall, I've wanted to throw a waterbottle at Eakins all season.
~nullterm 03/22/2014

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725801 is a reply to message #725800 ]
Sun, 23 December 2018 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

Ales Cooper wrote on Sun, 23 December 2018 03:03

Looks like straight up OEG planted nitwit coming to demean those who don’t praise their lord.
G be money. A passionate fan who actually gives a crap. Mad respect, as even I am losing interest and care because how this org is run.
Take that to your boss.

Sincerely yours,
Tier 3 Fan.

The join date does seem a bit coincidental, doesn't it?

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725816 is a reply to message #725801 ]
Sun, 23 December 2018 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Sun, 23 December 2018 03:41

Take that to your boss.

Sincerely yours,
Tier 3 Fan.

If the Oilers hires a troll for this board that isn’t me, they haven’t done their homework. Who is in charge of the Oilers Russian Troll Scouting Department anyway? Charlie Huddy’s niece?

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725836 is a reply to message #725816 ]
Mon, 24 December 2018 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Sun, 23 December 2018 11:14

Ragnarok73 wrote on Sun, 23 December 2018 03:41

Take that to your boss.

Sincerely yours,
Tier 3 Fan.

If the Oilers hires a troll for this board that isn’t me, they haven’t done their homework. Who is in charge of the Oilers Russian Troll Scouting Department anyway? Charlie Huddy’s niece?

shoop is Chia, only explanation.

"I just don't understand why this game should be an indication that Chia deserves to be fired. There is lots of irrational hatred for Chia out there. Just trying to see if you have any rational reason for it."

"No interest in HF. Lurked there and decided I'd join here instead.
There are obviously more posters there, which means the Alphas there are that much more aggressive and nasty if you dare to disagree with their irrational hatred of Chiarelli."

"One of the true bright spots in Chia's time with the Oilers is the fact that the farm system is probably the most talented in the history of the team. "

"KLowe is a dick who should be gone immediately...Three times in the last month I have walked by Rexall and seen KLowe giving tours of the trophy room to some kinda VIPs. If Katz wants to pay him huge money to be a tour guide so be it. Don't think he has much influence anymore given such low level duties."

"So yeah, playing equal with a dominant team up to five minutes left in the game ain't all that bad///Confused as to why you thought tonight's game was an excuse to fire Chiarelli." (Five minutes??? Oilers left the building after 15 minutes.)

"The Oilers will probably be ok once Russell returns."

"There was no way for Chiarelli to know at the beginning of the league year that Sekera was going to get hurt again."

Merry Christmas Snoop. Ooops, shoop.

(Note: Sarcasm may be present in this post fyi)

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725837 is a reply to message #725836 ]
Mon, 24 December 2018 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Slim Jim Phantom Call  is currently offline Slim Jim Phantom Call

No Cups

Shoop shoop a doop a doop shoop a doop

Swing off dem nuts Shoop. Sweet Chia nuts.
Busted.

In fairness to Hall, I've wanted to throw a waterbottle at Eakins all season.
~nullterm 03/22/2014

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725802 is a reply to message #725800 ]
Sun, 23 December 2018 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ziltoid  is currently offline ziltoid

No Cups

Take that to your boss.

Sincerely yours,
Tier 3 Fan.

I will gladly worship at the alter of the OBC if they all permanently resign from the organization. Will even throw in a year supply of boxed wine and charter a bus to Banff for them. Sidenote: how do we fire the owner?

I actually wonder if Katz has people that monitor public forums like this one? (If you are a Katz employee, please relay to him that if he had let his drug empire be managed as poorly as he lets the Oilers, it would never have gotten off the ground to begin with. Also, paying your idols to hang out with you is kinda sad; if you have to pay them, they aren't really your friends.) Wouldn't be surprised if a few of the media guys pop in from time to time, though

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725804 is a reply to message #725800 ]
Sun, 23 December 2018 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Ales Cooper wrote on Sun, 23 December 2018 10:03

Take that to your boss.

Sincerely yours,
Tier 3 Fan.

You aren't even reading my posts. Especially given the tier 3 fan comment.

KLowe is a dick who should be gone immediately. Yeah, if I were an OEG plant that comment alone would get me fired. icon_lol

Adam asked for my analysis of five members of the OBC. Take a look at that and tell me I'm a plant.

At the end of the day the simplistic view is to simply say blow everything up and get rid of everyone who is a member of the OBC without stating who should go. At least Adam tried to name out individuals. MacT and KLowe should be given the boot or at least kept on the sideline.

Three times in the last month I have walked by Rexall and seen KLowe giving tours of the trophy room to some kinda VIPs. If Katz wants to pay him huge money to be a tour guide so be it. Don't think he has much influence anymore given such low level duties.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725716 is a reply to message #725707 ]
Sat, 22 December 2018 17:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

I was being sarcastic. Just as you have been rightfully labelling me.

Or is it only being a jerk when it’s in regard to Mr Couth? Maybe you are a little thin skinned..

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725718 is a reply to message #725716 ]
Sat, 22 December 2018 17:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Sarcasm is incredibly tough to judge online. If you didn't mean offence that's fine. None taken.

Sorry, who is Mr. Couth? As people have noted I am a noob here so just trying to learn the personalities. I did get a chuckle out of the attack then an apology to government workers. Pick a side, any side. icon_lol

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725720 is a reply to message #725718 ]
Sat, 22 December 2018 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

shoop wrote on Sat, 22 December 2018 17:06

Sarcasm is incredibly tough to judge online. If you didn't mean offence that's fine. None taken.

Sorry, who is Mr. Couth? As people have noted I am a noob here so just trying to learn the personalities. I did get a chuckle out of the attack then an apology to government workers. Pick a side, any side. icon_lol

I don’t think I’m known as politically correct around here tbh. I have a respect for those who served and are serving. I simply regretted my example.

It was an attack now? I’m still sticking with sarcasm. ”If you didn't mean offence that's fine. None taken.” confused2

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725722 is a reply to message #725720 ]
Sat, 22 December 2018 17:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Sarcasm is saying something offensive and meaning it as a joke.

It was an attack on government workers even if the attack was a 'joke'. I wasn't offended, just saying to take a side.

fwiw in my mind I didn't even associate military as government workers with the way you worded your original post.

Who is Mr. Couth? Not getting the sarcasm there.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725725 is a reply to message #725722 ]
Sat, 22 December 2018 18:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

shoop wrote on Sat, 22 December 2018 17:26

Who is Mr. Couth? Not getting the sarcasm there.

The irony of this question is likely part of the problem perhaps?

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725740 is a reply to message #725725 ]
Sat, 22 December 2018 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Maybe you aren't very good at sarcasm?

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725834 is a reply to message #725707 ]
Sun, 23 December 2018 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

As for your question.

1) Howson - decent guy to have in the room. Didn't do too poorly as the GM in Columbus. Will likely get another shot as GM somewhere in the league someday.

2) MacTavish. - was a good head coach. Freaking horrendous as a GM. The handling of Jultz alone. Nevermind the unnecessary firing of Krueger or hiring Eakins. Will never get a sniff of being a GM in the league.

3) Chiarelli - As already stated I thought the Hall and Eberle trades were necessary for changing the attitude in the locker room. The Reinhart trade looks bad (but I do believe it wasn't Chiarelli's decision). Lucic signing was horrendous. Many many good smaller moves. Moving this team in the right direction.

4) KLowe - got really lucky in 2005-06 being gifted Pronger. To his credit, he made some smaller moves that season to get the team into the playoffs. Has been an incredible jerk since. The tier one fans comment was a total dick move.

Expectations of a championship are an interesting question. I'd expect a trip to the conference finals by 2021-22 and a championship within a couple years of that.

1) Howson was the GM in Columbus for 6 years. They never won a single playoff game. Made the playoffs only once (in his second season) and they got swept then. He also managed in a matter of a couple months to turn Voracek and the draft pick that became Couturier in to Jack Johnson. He really did nothing of consequence in his shot as GM. He'll never get another shot.

2) MacTavish was historically bad. He made more trades than anyone else during his time as GM, but it was always just deck chair shuffling. As you say, his decisions around the coaches were horrible, and the only good thing that could be said about his tenure was that it got us McDavid.

3) Chia - see my above post.

4) Lowe - just the worst. Under his stewardship, the team has been ridiculously bad. I don't believe for a second that he's let hockey operations go. He's still at every draft, and shows up an awful lot for someone who's not involved. I've also heard specifically from a couple of people who are around the team that his involvement is still significant and that he was part of bringing Chiarelli in as GM.

5) Nicholson - most overrated exec in hockey. I'm not sure what anyone thinks he's accomplished. I was briefly hopeful that he was going to help clean up this organization, but the guys who are responsible have been kept on in the organization in senior roles. He's brought zero accountability to the organization. Since that's all he was brought in to do, he's a complete failure too.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725835 is a reply to message #725834 ]
Sun, 23 December 2018 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Sun, 23 December 2018 23:18

As for your question.

1) Howson was the GM in Columbus for 6 years. They never won a single playoff game. Made the playoffs only once (in his second season) and they got swept then. He also managed in a matter of a couple months to turn Voracek and the draft pick that became Couturier in to Jack Johnson. He really did nothing of consequence in his shot as GM. He'll never get another shot.

2) MacTavish was historically bad. He made more trades than anyone else during his time as GM, but it was always just deck chair shuffling. As you say, his decisions around the coaches were horrible, and the only good thing that could be said about his tenure was that it got us McDavid.

3) Chia - see my above post.

4) Lowe - just the worst. Under his stewardship, the team has been ridiculously bad. I don't believe for a second that he's let hockey operations go. He's still at every draft, and shows up an awful lot for someone who's not involved. I've also heard specifically from a couple of people who are around the team that his involvement is still significant and that he was part of bringing Chiarelli in as GM.

5) Nicholson - most overrated exec in hockey. I'm not sure what anyone thinks he's accomplished. I was briefly hopeful that he was going to help clean up this organization, but the guys who are responsible have been kept on in the organization in senior roles. He's brought zero accountability to the organization. Since that's all he was brought in to do, he's a complete failure too.

It will all be worth it when our savior Keith Gretzky finally takes over!

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725711 is a reply to message #725704 ]
Sat, 22 December 2018 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lew19  is currently offline Lew19

No Cups

I know the question wasn't directed at me, but i'm laid up at home with a killer back/neck ache and want to throw down my two cents if we're all ok with that.

1) Scott Howson - the fired, rehired invisible vice pres + player development. Not sure I can pin pint an exact thing he can take credit on. Drafting's been better, but not sure that's all on him.
2) C.MacTavish - I like him as a coach, until he really started to overplay AHL vets ( that red headed guy) so on. But I enjoyed his egocentric presser's and him ripping the tongue out of harry the hound. Was in over his head as GM, but I think Lowe sort of spoiled any relationships he might of had going into it. Pretty much couldn't make a solid trade with 1/3rd of the NHL based on Lowe before him.
3) Pete C. Love that he stocked the cupboards with talent....but has undersold on EVERY trade this man has made. This man is dangerous, and should be locked up for helping and abiding highway robbery .
4)Kevin Lowe- Oilers first overall draft pick. Was a great solider during his time...Needs to have a quiet office job in the back corner at kingsway ave. Hes done his damage, he's done some good things. But his time with the organization should be complete in my mind.
5)Bob N. Maybe I am the only one, but this guy needs to be fired immediately...He is the biggest yes man I have ever seen. Came in promising to get to the bottom of whatever, and in my opinion, did nothing..Sold us a bucket of steam....Did great things for Hockey Canada, but really, so could I, and so could everyone on this forum...

Although not a fan of Tim and Sid, they said it best...Surround this team with talent, and Give Connor McDavid every tool possible to let this team succeed. Trading Hall of Larsson, and Eberle for whoever it is this week doesn't do it. Partiers or not, get something when you give something.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725316 is a reply to message #725085 ]
Mon, 17 December 2018 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

Should Chia stay in his position after this season, it only amplifies that they have an echo chamber for all their thought processes. Anyone with a pedigree of hockey knowledge that Chia's track record of asset management is sub standard to that of even a assistant GM.

He needs to go. He needs to go now.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725730 is a reply to message #725085 ]
Sat, 22 December 2018 19:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Again, Chiarelli has made 2 really bad moves.
-Signing Lucic. I'm not even that mad about the money but it was the term. If that's a 3 or 4 year deal, we'd already be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel, but there's still 4 years after this one. Brutal.
- The Griffen Reinhart deal. It wasn't a terrible idea to go and get a defensive prospect that could grow with the team, but they picked the wrong guy. And the pick they traded just happened to give NYI a really good player (thats a coincidence more than a mistake). He should have known Reinhart was questionable at the time and avoided that deal.

He had 2 moves that were unpopular but needed.
- Hall needed to go. He wasn't helping them win and he was the only player that would get them a quality defenceman. I'll admit, I was surprised at how little he got back, but I have no love for Hall (as I've expressed once or twice before), so I had no real issues with that deal.
- Eberle got shipped out for scraps. I don't know what happened to him, but by the end of 2016 he was broken. He actually should look smart for this deal. $6 million for maybe 45 pts is too much.

Other deals have been hit or miss. Maybe a few more hits.

The reconstruction of the farm system is where I think he really has made a difference. Getting a stable AHL team and giving them real prospects will be his lasting positive legacy with this team. The system is stronger than it has ever been and he's be very careful about using all of his picks to provide a chance at future talent.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725732 is a reply to message #725730 ]
Sat, 22 December 2018 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Sat, 22 December 2018 19:39

Eberle got shipped out for scraps. I don't know what happened to him, but by the end of 2016 he was broken. He actually should look smart for this deal. $6 million for maybe 45 pts is too much.

How does he look smart? What did he do with all this extra cap space he gained in the move?

In my opinion it’s just another fail that doesn’t get mentioned enough.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725741 is a reply to message #725732 ]
Sat, 22 December 2018 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

You don't mention Chiarelli's imagined failures often enough? Really?

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725749 is a reply to message #725741 ]
Sat, 22 December 2018 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

shoop wrote on Sat, 22 December 2018 21:27

You don't mention Chiarelli's imagined failures often enough? Really?

Not using free cap space after also losing a trade is “imagined” failure as well? Got it. Everyone was taking that cap space as silver lining of a bad deal. And Chia just let it die there on the vine.

It’s pretty difficult to debate with someone that thinks the only mistake Panicky Pete has made is the Lucic signing. Pointless.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725773 is a reply to message #725749 ]
Sat, 22 December 2018 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

What deals were there to be had that Chiarelli didn't pull the trigger on?

Do you have to hate Chiarelli to be allowed to post here?

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725785 is a reply to message #725773 ]
Sat, 22 December 2018 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

2 Cups

shoop wrote on Sat, 22 December 2018 22:47

What deals were there to be had that Chiarelli didn't pull the trigger on?

Do you have to hate Chiarelli to be allowed to post here?

Of course not. Nobody will stop you. I think a lot of us welcome Chiarelli boosters due to the huge imbalance in here. Just don’t get butt hurt when people disagree with you outside your parameters of proper social etiquette. You’ll get used to it. If not I’m guessing there’s a positivity thread buried somewhere in the pages of HF.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725806 is a reply to message #725785 ]
Sun, 23 December 2018 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

g2k wrote on Sun, 23 December 2018 06:29

Of course not. Nobody will stop you. I think a lot of us welcome Chiarelli boosters due to the huge imbalance in here. Just don’t get butt hurt when people disagree with you outside your parameters of proper social etiquette. You’ll get used to it. If not I’m guessing there’s a positivity thread buried somewhere in the pages of HF.

No interest in HF. Lurked there and decided I'd join here instead.

There are obviously more posters there, which means the Alphas there are that much more aggressive and nasty if you dare to disagree with their irrational hatred of Chiarelli.

tbh I wouldn't call your views on Chiarelli irrational hatred. Just the intellectual laziness that leads to sarcasm when you won't put in the effort to support your views with anything else.

If you do welcome me then why not take a look at my post on the five key members of the OBC that Adam asked about.

Pages (9): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #48)
Next Topic:Oilers select 2nd rd (#62) - Olivier Rodrigue
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca