This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - NicholsonPages (9): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725323 is a reply to message #725322 ]
Mon, 17 December 2018 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 17 December 2018 10:06

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 17 December 2018 08:31

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 14 December 2018 18:18

Bouchard, 1st in 2019 and 1st in 2020 for Pietro?

Yams, Pulju and 2nd in 2019 for Nyquist?

Are your trades actually legit ones that you think are OK or joke ones where people go off on a tangent about how crappy Chia is as a GM? I honestly can't tell anymore.

For your Petro trade, I think that is pretty steep for a guy who will be 29 in January and needs an extension after next year. He makes 6.5 mill, an extension if he agrees to one, will probably be 8 at least and you will be giving a 30 yr old, 8+ mill for what at least 5 years? Plus in my opinion, any trade has involving Bouchard has to be a non starter.

I think your Nyqvist trade is also too steep. Yes both Yamo and JP are unproven but I believe they are NHL players. So you are giving up at minimum 2, top 9 forwards and a second for a soon to be 30 yr old.

100% serious. This would be a small price to pay to get the benefit of another 5 year extension for Chia.

Although, Adam may be right that Chia is being handcuffed by the OBC from doing what needs to be done.

That is why I asked if you were being serious because it can be fun to play arm chair GM and propose what a person thinks is an actual fair trade and then debate it with others. But in here, the huge majority of trade proposals are all just ridiculous trades designed to spur on another complaint session about Oilers management and bring up old trades and why they suck, etc etc. I am not sticking up for Chia like most of you think I do all the time. He's done a lousy job and a lot of his moves have sucked. There is no debating it. Sometimes, it's just nice to do something else other than complain about Chia for the 10,00th time but oh well.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725325 is a reply to message #725323 ]
Mon, 17 December 2018 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 17 December 2018 10:14

Are your trades actually legit ones that you think are OK or joke ones where people go off on a tangent about how crappy Chia is as a GM? I honestly can't tell anymore.

For your Petro trade, I think that is pretty steep for a guy who will be 29 in January and needs an extension after next year. He makes 6.5 mill, an extension if he agrees to one, will probably be 8 at least and you will be giving a 30 yr old, 8+ mill for what at least 5 years? Plus in my opinion, any trade has involving Bouchard has to be a non starter.

I think your Nyqvist trade is also too steep. Yes both Yamo and JP are unproven but I believe they are NHL players. So you are giving up at minimum 2, top 9 forwards and a second for a soon to be 30 yr old.

100% serious. This would be a small price to pay to get the benefit of another 5 year extension for Chia.

Although, Adam may be right that Chia is being handcuffed by the OBC from doing what needs to be done.

That is why I asked if you were being serious because it can be fun to play arm chair GM and propose what a person thinks is an actual fair trade and then debate it with others. But in here, the huge majority of trade proposals are all just ridiculous trades designed to spur on another complaint session about Oilers management and bring up old trades and why they suck, etc etc. I am not sticking up for Chia like most of you think I do all the time. He's done a lousy job and a lot of his moves have sucked. There is no debating it. Sometimes, it's just nice to do something else other than complain about Chia for the 10,00th time but oh well.

I think this thread might be more making fun of NIcholson, who thought it was a good idea to inform the world that Chia's job security just depends on making the playoffs this year. Just last year a guy he traded won the hart, 4 of the top 24 scorers last year were guys he traded (Wheeler, Seguin, Hall, Kessel) and actually, only 5 drafted players of that top 24 were ever traded (only other one was Voracek, and lucky us, we have the guy that traded him in the management team too). Barzal was in that top 24 as well, but oh well, at least we got Reinhart for him.

Chia is just bad, and his boss reducing his qualification for being GM of a team with a generational player to making playoffs for 1 season is pretty ridiculous. The body of work speaks for itself.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725328 is a reply to message #725325 ]
Mon, 17 December 2018 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 17 December 2018 10:23

I think this thread might be more making fun of NIcholson, who thought it was a good idea to inform the world that Chia's job security just depends on making the playoffs this year. Just last year a guy he traded won the hart, 4 of the top 24 scorers last year were guys he traded (Wheeler, Seguin, Hall, Kessel) and actually, only 5 drafted players of that top 24 were ever traded (only other one was Voracek, and lucky us, we have the guy that traded him in the management team too). Barzal was in that top 24 as well, but oh well, at least we got Reinhart for him.

Chia is just bad, and his boss reducing his qualification for being GM of a team with a generational player to making playoffs for 1 season is pretty ridiculous. The body of work speaks for itself.

That's just incredible. So of the top 24 scorers last year, our management team traded all five of the ones who've been traded, plus the draft pick that became another of those players.

Amazing.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725329 is a reply to message #725328 ]
Mon, 17 December 2018 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 17 December 2018 10:52

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 17 December 2018 10:23

That's just incredible. So of the top 24 scorers last year, our management team traded all five of the ones who've been traded, plus the draft pick that became another of those players.

Amazing.

It is remarkable how every management group identifies, assigns great value to, and are able to hold onto the top tier elite talent they draft and develop, except the guys we pick to run our team.

We are doing something truly unique with how we run our team.

[Updated on: Mon, 17 December 2018 11:02]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725334 is a reply to message #725329 ]
Mon, 17 December 2018 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 17 December 2018 10:58

It is remarkable how every management group identifies, assigns great value to, and are able to hold onto the top tier elite talent they draft and develop, except the guys we pick to run our team.

We are doing something truly unique with how we run our team.

Here's the top 30 scorers from last year:

1 CA Connor McDavid - drafted
2 CA Claude Giroux - drafted
3 RU Nikita Kucherov - drafted
4 RU Evgeni Malkin - drafted
5 CA Nathan MacKinnon - drafted
6 CA Taylor Hall - traded Adam Larsson to acquire (P. Chiarelli/F. Shero)
7 SI Anze Kopitar - drafted
8 US Phil Kessel - traded twice - To TO for two 1st round picks & a 2nd rd pick (P. Chiarelli/B.Burke); to Pitts in a multi-player deal (No GM/J. Rutherford)
9 US Blake Wheeler - free agent signing for Bruins, who dealt him & Mark Stuart for Peverly and Valabik?! (P. Chiarelli/R. Dudley)
10 CA Sidney Crosby - drafted
11 RU Alexander Ovechkin - drafted
12 CA Steven Stamkos - drafted
13 CA Brad Marchand - drafted
14 CA Mathew Barzal - drafted *draft pick traded along w #33 overall for Griffin Reinhart (P. Chiarelli/G. Snow)
15 CZ Jakub Vorácek - Traded along w/ 1st rd pick (Sean Couturier) and 3rd rd pick for Jeff Carter (S. Howson/P. Holmgren)
16 CA John Tavares - drafted (since signed as UFA by TO)
17 FI Mikko Rantanen - drafted
18 US Johnny Gaudreau - drafted
19 RU Evgeny Kuznetsov - drafted
20 RU Artemi Panarin - signed as free agent, then traded for Saad (S. Bowman/J. Kekalainen)
21 CZ David Pastrnak - drafted
22 CA Jamie Benn - drafted
23 SE William Karlsson - Expansion draft pickup
24 CA Tyler Seguin - traded in a package for a package featuring Loui Ericksson (P. Chiarelli/J. Nill)
25 FI Aleksander Barkov - drafted
26 CA Eric Staal - traded when facing UFA to NY for two 2nds and a prospect. Signed as free agent.
27 CA Sean Couturier - drafted (w/ pick traded by S. Howson - see above)
28 US Patrick Kane - drafted
29 US Vincent Trocheck - drafted
30 CA Jonathan Marchessault - Expansion draft pickup

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725326 is a reply to message #725323 ]
Mon, 17 December 2018 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 17 December 2018 13:14

If I try to be as objective as possible - Chia is absolutely brutal at the big trades, and I feel he's a terrible negotiator when it comes to salary, but he seems to have done pretty well with smaller deals/signings, and that's not nothing.

Koskinen, Kassian, Chiasson, Gravel (and Maroon a few years ago) I think have all shown to be pretty positive moves. I liked when he got Pontus Aberg last year, didn't understand why we waived him this year, but whatever. Those first 4 guys are all Chia deals and I think will be a big part of a postseason push.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725327 is a reply to message #725326 ]
Mon, 17 December 2018 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Mike wrote on Mon, 17 December 2018 10:29

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 17 December 2018 13:14

If I try to be as objective as possible - Chia is absolutely brutal at the big trades, and I feel he's a terrible negotiator when it comes to salary, but he seems to have done pretty well with smaller deals/signings, and that's not nothing.

Koskinen, Kassian, Chiasson, Gravel (and Maroon a few years ago) I think have all shown to be pretty positive moves. I liked when he got Pontus Aberg last year, didn't understand why we waived him this year, but whatever. Those first 4 guys are all Chia deals and I think will be a big part of a postseason push.

I 100% agree with you. Chia has not been good on the big moves. As much as people mention the Hall trade almost daily still, I think his worst one was the Reinhart trade. He traded a #16(I think) and a second for a non NHLer. That is brutal. With the Hall trade, while the return for Hall wasn't enough, he at least got a real good dman, who's pretty valuable to your team back so you have to show for it. The Reinhart trade it was literally nothing as it doesn't look like Reinhart will ever be an NHLer.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725161 is a reply to message #725085 ]
Fri, 14 December 2018 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
twilson1111  is currently offline twilson1111

No Cups

I’ll probably get roasted for this, but, with how the guys are playing under Hitch, don’t Chia’s recent moves start to look better? I’m thinking Hitch, Koskinen, Chiasson... I think he redeems himself big time if this Hitch move makes the Oilers a top half playoff team. After all, he picked the new coach and seemed to give him the right guidance.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725192 is a reply to message #725161 ]
Sat, 15 December 2018 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

He has done some good things, you could throw Gravel in there too who has played above expectations. The Hall, Reinhart and especially the Lucic deals are the ones that stick in everybody's craw. At the time I thought the Reinhart deal was a good gamble given his pedigree. You can't win em all but the Lucic one looked bad right from the get go given the players age and lack of foot speed.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725193 is a reply to message #725192 ]
Sat, 15 December 2018 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

overdue wrote on Sat, 15 December 2018 10:40

He has done some good things, you could throw Gravel in there too who has played above expectations. The Hall, Reinhart and especially the Lucic deals are the ones that stick in everybody's craw. At the time I thought the Reinhart deal was a good gamble given his pedigree. You can't win em all but the Lucic one looked bad right from the get go given the players age and lack of foot speed.

His age didn’t give me a lot of heartburn. To me it was just the type of player he was, the current league and his ability stay effective, given his style. You could already tell in Boston his best days were already behind him.

I had no idea how ineffective he was on the boards though. That took me by surprise.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725200 is a reply to message #725085 ]
Sat, 15 December 2018 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Burgeoboy  is currently offline Burgeoboy

No Cups

I don"t like every move he as made and yes there's a couple that really sting, but after our long playoff drought and history of poor management, anyone that takes us to the playoffs 2 out 3 the last years, I'd probably keep them on as well. Now, as for Lowe and company, they all should have been gone years ago.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725213 is a reply to message #725200 ]
Sat, 15 December 2018 18:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shoop  is currently offline shoop

No Cups

The interview by Ference last week definitely takes the sting off of some Chia's more controversial moves.

Hard to hear about the team Ference described and not agree that there were some personnel moves that had to be made. As a straight up hockey trade Hall for Larsson was not a good deal. But in light of the out drinking to 5 am the night after loss comments then it definitely makes some more sense. Same with the Eberle trade.

If the Oilers make the playoffs this season I think Chiarelli deserves at least one more season.

Bringing in a new GM is another re-set when Chiarelli's vision just might be coming to fruition.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725215 is a reply to message #725213 ]
Sat, 15 December 2018 18:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

shoop wrote on Sat, 15 December 2018 18:05

The interview by Ference last week definitely takes the sting off of some Chia's more controversial moves.

Hard to hear about the team Ference described and not agree that there were some personnel moves that had to be made. As a straight up hockey trade Hall for Larsson was not a good deal. But in light of the out drinking to 5 am the night after loss comments then it definitely makes some more sense. Same with the Eberle trade.

If the Oilers make the playoffs this season I think Chiarelli deserves at least one more season.

Bringing in a new GM is another re-set when Chiarelli's vision just might be coming to fruition.

A) Ference never said who was the partiers. It’s an assumption only that Hall was one.

B) It is on management and coaching if they can’t rein in a couple wild teenagers. Selling for pennies on the dollar is about the worst way you can handle that scenario.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725225 is a reply to message #725215 ]
Sat, 15 December 2018 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

A) Hall was definitely the alpha male of the team and had a reputation of being a partier here. It's a very logical assumption that it was Hall. Of course you are never going to get iron clad evidence. So what. Any evidence that it wasn't Hall?

B) Mactavish and Eakins did nothing about it. That's why they lost their jobs. Chiarelli spent a full season trying to deal with Hall and couldn't so he trade him. None of the players were teenagers by the time Chia got here.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725227 is a reply to message #725225 ]
Sun, 16 December 2018 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

shoop wrote on Sat, 15 December 2018 23:28

A) Hall was definitely the alpha male of the team and had a reputation of being a partier here. It's a very logical assumption that it was Hall. Of course you are never going to get iron clad evidence. So what. Any evidence that it wasn't Hall?

B) Mactavish and Eakins did nothing about it. That's why they lost their jobs. Chiarelli spent a full season trying to deal with Hall and couldn't so he trade him. None of the players were teenagers by the time Chia got here.

MacTavish never got fired. He's still part of the hockey operations management of the team. His 2IC was Scott Howson, he also did not get fired.

Hall was the best player on the team for McLellan's first season, with McDavid missing half of the season. He led the team in scoring. He was credited with taking Draisaitl under his wing and the team decided that he was the best roommate for McDavid in that first year. There's not a lot of evidence that Chiarelli and McLellan found Hall to be completely irresponsible or in any way to blame for that first bad season.

Good teams don't gift away good players, even if they need to deal with some growing pains along the way. Bad GMs trade young players for cheap before they've reached their full potential.

Chiarelli has now traded Phil Kessel, Blake Wheeler, Tyler Seguin, Taylor Hall...all before their best years.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725230 is a reply to message #725227 ]
Sun, 16 December 2018 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

How do you know that Hall took Draisaitl under his wing?

Even if Hall did that, Draisaital did significantly better without Hall on the team. Perhaps being taken under Hall's wing isn't such a good thing.

Pretty pedantic about MacTavish still being part of the team. MacTavish was removed from his position as GM for gross incompetence.

Chia is on course to get this team into the playoffs two out of four seasons.

I don't give a crap about Kessel, Wheeler or Seguin. They weren't Oilers and I didn't follow their teams closely enough to care.

Tambellini and MacTavish never made the playoffs. KLowe made them three times in eight years. Chia is on the verge of two playoff appearances in four seasons.

If the Oilers make the playoffs Chia absolutely should keep his job. I think he's on a five year deal so keep the pressure on for that final season.

[Updated on: Sun, 16 December 2018 17:17]

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725232 is a reply to message #725230 ]
Sun, 16 December 2018 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

shoop wrote on Sun, 16 December 2018 08:07

MacTavish was removed from his position as GM for gross incompetence.

Really? I didn’t realize this.

This really explains why the current GM keeps his position then..

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725241 is a reply to message #725232 ]
Sun, 16 December 2018 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

If you don't realize MacT was removed as GM for being grossly incompetent then you just haven't been paying attention. 129 points in 164 games as GM. (.787 points per game) is vastly inferior to even Tambellini's .873 points per game. KLowe, Sather and Chia are all over 1 ppg in their times as GM.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725262 is a reply to message #725241 ]
Sun, 16 December 2018 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

shoop wrote on Sun, 16 December 2018 17:24

If you don't realize MacT was removed as GM for being grossly incompetent then you just haven't been paying attention. 129 points in 164 games as GM. (.787 points per game) is vastly inferior to even Tambellini's .873 points per game. KLowe, Sather and Chia are all over 1 ppg in their times as GM.

He's literally still in the room, helping make the decisions. Everyone agrees - MacT sucked hard as a GM. But the organization didn't axe him. They shuffled the deck chairs and gave him a VP role of some sort, where he is still in all the meetings, he's still at the draft table, he's still involved.

Kevin Lowe sucked as a GM and as a POHO, but he's still there in the room too...still also sitting at the draft table and touring free agents around town - even though he's supposedly "only on the business side now."

The team pretended to let Scott Howson go once, but there he was, only months later showing up at NHL games with an Oilers pass. They re-formalized his re-entrance in to the hockey ops ranks quietly a few months later.

These guys didn't get fired for gross incompetence. They still collect big cheques, help make the hockey decisions, and help keep the culture of the team absolutely sewered. What's worse is that these guys have only insulated themselves. If the team doesn't make the playoffs, Chiarelli is the sacrificial lamb - but Lowe, MacTavish and Howson are all going to keep their jobs still...

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725265 is a reply to message #725230 ]
Sun, 16 December 2018 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

shoop wrote on Sun, 16 December 2018 08:07

How do you know that Hall took Draisaitl under his wing?

Even if Hall did that, Draisaital did significantly better without Hall on the team. Perhaps being taken under Hall's wing isn't such a good thing.

Pretty pedantic about MacTavish still being part of the team. MacTavish was removed from his position as GM for gross incompetence.

Chia is on course to get this team into the playoffs two out of four seasons.

I don't give a crap about Kessel, Wheeler or Seguin. They weren't Oilers and I didn't follow their teams closely enough to care.

Tambellini and MacTavish never made the playoffs. KLowe made them three times in eight years. Chia is on the verge of two playoff appearances in four seasons.

If the Oilers make the playoffs Chia absolutely should keep his job. I think he's on a five year deal so keep the pressure on for that final season.

There were stories about Hall/Draisaitl during that season. McDavid went down, Hall and Draisaitl became a line, and Hall encouraged Draisaitl to be more selfish and more confident. Draisaitl jumped from a 9 point rookie season (37 games) to a 51 point sophomore season (72 games). It's not surprising he continued to develop, but he really emerged as a legitimate threat while centering Taylor Hall.

I do return to the Hall rooming & living with McDavid though. If the team believed that Taylor Hall was completely out of control and a major problem for team chemistry, why would they have their future of the franchise live with him as an 18 year old? The simple answer? They wouldn't. Not even an organization with the developmental challenges of the Oilers would be so dumb.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725299 is a reply to message #725265 ]
Mon, 17 December 2018 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

I think it is very possible that they could already see how much more mature McDavid was than Hall -even at that time. Perhaps they were trying to shame Hall into waking up and "maturing-up"?

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725302 is a reply to message #725299 ]
Mon, 17 December 2018 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

welcometotheOC wrote on Mon, 17 December 2018 01:44

I think it is very possible that they could already see how much more mature McDavid was than Hall -even at that time. Perhaps they were trying to shame Hall into waking up and "maturing-up"?

Let’s put the raw rookie 18 year old with Hall to make Taylor grow up.

Seems like a bit of a reach to me. No, I don’t think it’s quite possibly the reason.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725340 is a reply to message #725302 ]
Mon, 17 December 2018 17:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Are you saying Hall was mature? I WAS a huge Hall fan, but his “performance” while McDavid was out in his rookie year turned me from a fan and having him as untouchable to thinking he was the one of the Austins that should be traded.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725341 is a reply to message #725340 ]
Mon, 17 December 2018 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Having said that (above), the Reinhart trade was unforgivably stupid and he should have been fired before now for that trade alone, OBC involvement or not.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725335 is a reply to message #725227 ]
Mon, 17 December 2018 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

Adam wrote on Sun, 16 December 2018 01:58

shoop wrote on Sat, 15 December 2018 23:28

MacTavish never got fired. He's still part of the hockey operations management of the team. His 2IC was Scott Howson, he also did not get fired.

Hall was the best player on the team for McLellan's first season, with McDavid missing half of the season. He led the team in scoring. He was credited with taking Draisaitl under his wing and the team decided that he was the best roommate for McDavid in that first year. There's not a lot of evidence that Chiarelli and McLellan found Hall to be completely irresponsible or in any way to blame for that first bad season.

Good teams don't gift away good players, even if they need to deal with some growing pains along the way. Bad GMs trade young players for cheap before they've reached their full potential.

Chiarelli has now traded Phil Kessel, Blake Wheeler, Tyler Seguin, Taylor Hall...all before their best years.

Man, there is no way you think Ference wasn't taking about the Keys to City Boys.

In all likelihood, it was Hall, Schultz, and Eberle. Eberle even started moving away from being associated with Hall at the end.

Maybe you didn't go to Hudson's very often, but man, those guys were always there. Dudes were buying drafts by the fist at cheap draft nights. It's a fairly easy conclusion.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725217 is a reply to message #725213 ]
Sat, 15 December 2018 19:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Any of this teams success mainly needs to be attributed to winning a lottery in 2015. The fact that McDavid has missed the playoffs 2/3 of his years so far is more than enough grounds to fire Chiarelli. He inherited a team with 4 first overall picks, Draisaitl, Schultz, and Nurse...yet for us to win McDavid essentially has to break records for ice time.

We are winning right now despite Chiarelli, not because of him.

Clean house or bust

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725214 is a reply to message #725200 ]
Sat, 15 December 2018 18:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Burgeoboy wrote on Sat, 15 December 2018 13:55

I don"t like every move he as made and yes there's a couple that really sting, but after our long playoff drought and history of poor management, anyone that takes us to the playoffs 2 out 3 the last years, I'd probably keep them on as well. Now, as for Lowe and company, they all should have been gone years ago.

Yeah, I’m all for keeping Connor McDavid too.

It’s the guy who’s idiotic moves have kept us from competing for a Cup during these years who I want fired...and his dozen masters within the organization too...

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725229 is a reply to message #725214 ]
Sun, 16 December 2018 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

If it's all Connor why were we so bad last year? He was here then to I believe, you can't give all the credit to one person and all the blame to another. When things go well its all because of Connor, but when they don't it's all because of Chia, seems fair.

If you blame him for the losses then he should get credit for the wins too. Win or lose he built this team, this team is much better than last year, But Connor was great both years, so he's not the difference. So, what is? could it be the players/coaches Chia brought in? but let me guess he just got lucky with this those? so if we win its Connor, if we lose it's Chia, if Chia make a good move its luck, especially, if we spent all offseason talking about how stupid it was, but if he makes a bad one, he should have known, no ever say, he was just unlucky and moves on and then people wonder why people don't want to come to EDM. All I am saying is I base it on the result, win you stay lose you go home, so yes I am ok with keeping him if we win.

If we win the cup this year, would Chia get any credit or would it be despite him?

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725231 is a reply to message #725229 ]
Sun, 16 December 2018 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Burgeoboy wrote on Sun, 16 December 2018 04:44

If it's all Connor why were we so bad last year? He was here then to I believe, you can't give all the credit to one person and all the blame to another. When things go well its all because of Connor, but when they don't it's all because of Chia, seems fair.

If you blame him for the losses then he should get credit for the wins too. Win or lose he built this team, this team is much better than last year, But Connor was great both years, so he's not the difference. So, what is? could it be the players/coaches Chia brought in? but let me guess he just got lucky with this those? so if we win its Connor, if we lose it's Chia, if Chia make a good move its luck, especially, if we spent all offseason talking about how stupid it was, but if he makes a bad one, he should have known, no ever say, he was just unlucky and moves on and then people wonder why people don't want to come to EDM. All I am saying is I base it on the result, win you stay lose you go home, so yes I am ok with keeping him if we win.

If we win the cup this year, would Chia get any credit or would it be despite him?

If you can’t realize that the current GM has set the organization back several years, you are just not paying attention. He walked into this organization and was given a royal flush. He quickly turned it into a full house. But if his team can scrape into to playoffs in 2019, he’s doing his job. What a joke.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725233 is a reply to message #725231 ]
Sun, 16 December 2018 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

g2k wrote on Sun, 16 December 2018 11:41

Burgeoboy wrote on Sun, 16 December 2018 04:44

If you can’t realize that the current GM has set the organization back several years, you are just not paying attention. He walked into this organization and was given a royal flush. He quickly turned it into a full house. But if his team can scrape into to playoffs in 2019, he’s doing his job. What a joke.

LMAO yeah this team was doing great before he got here....

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725243 is a reply to message #725233 ]
Sun, 16 December 2018 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

Burgeoboy wrote on Sun, 16 December 2018 10:09

LMAO yeah this team was doing great before he got here....

Apples to oranges: it's hard to do worse when you come into an organization that had just hit rock bottom right before lucking into a generational talent. However, the aim now isn't just to sneak into the playoffs, it's to win a damn Cup. When you have the best player on the planet, you shouldn't just be satisfied with getting into the postseason.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725219 is a reply to message #725200 ]
Sat, 15 December 2018 19:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

I can’t say I really agree with your standards. But a good chunk of the local media seems to be stepping into line with you.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725221 is a reply to message #725219 ]
Sat, 15 December 2018 20:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Sat, 15 December 2018 19:37

I can’t say I really agree with your standards. But a good chunk of the local media seems to be stepping into line with you.

I really like that the bar for a management team that has the best player on the planet is “be somewhere in the top 16”. It’s a good feeling and certainly an indicator of coming success.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725218 is a reply to message #725085 ]
Sat, 15 December 2018 19:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

I was hoping that this was just something you say publicly when asked about it. I would have loved McLellan to publicly defend his players even if they were severely underperforming, and I don't think it is much different at other levels in the organization.

But after thinking about it, this is completely the plan. He would have been fired in the summer, or even when McLellan was fired if they weren't giving him one more year.

So if the Oilers make the playoffs, Chiarelli is here until the end of the 2019-2020 season? Yay.

Clean house or bust

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725344 is a reply to message #725218 ]
Mon, 17 December 2018 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Chia could be around longer than just another season.

Two playoffs in four years is decent for this team. Not ideal, but things are looking better.

The Reinhart trade was clearly bad. But if the OBC forced the issue, then how do you blame Chiarelli for that?

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725348 is a reply to message #725344 ]
Tue, 18 December 2018 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

shoop wrote on Mon, 17 December 2018 21:28

The Reinhart trade was clearly bad. But if the OBC forced the issue, then how do you blame Chiarelli for that?

For not telling the OBC what to do with themselves sexually after they opened their pieholes.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725688 is a reply to message #725348 ]
Fri, 21 December 2018 17:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

That's a guaranteed way to lose your job.

If someone who is clearly speaking for the owner you do what you are told.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725691 is a reply to message #725688 ]
Fri, 21 December 2018 18:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

shoop wrote on Fri, 21 December 2018 17:44

That's a guaranteed way to lose your job.

If someone who is clearly speaking for the owner you do what you are told.

....show me a business owner or senior executive or government administrator who surrounds himself/herself with yes-men, and 99.44% of the time I can show you a loser.....there is a huge difference between loyalty and doing what you are told....

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725375 is a reply to message #725344 ]
Tue, 18 December 2018 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

shoop wrote on Mon, 17 December 2018 21:28

Chia could be around longer than just another season.

Two playoffs in four years is decent for this team. Not ideal, but things are looking better.

Your moderate expectations fit in very well with this management team.

Are you a business owner? And if so, could I come work for you?

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725689 is a reply to message #725375 ]
Fri, 21 December 2018 17:44 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

No Cups

I would never hire you. Constant bitterness and sarcasm is the exact opposite of what I look for in employees.

Re: "Playoffs preserve Chia's Job" - Nicholson [message #725690 is a reply to message #725689 ]
Fri, 21 December 2018 18:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

shoop wrote on Fri, 21 December 2018 17:44

I would never hire you. Constant bitterness and sarcasm is the exact opposite of what I look for in employees.

And to be fair, if you're the guy running the Oilers, you're really only trying to understand if you played for the team in the 1980s, worked for the Oil Kings, or are related to someone else already in the organization

Anyone remember those old SNL skits for "Lowered Expectations Matchmaking"?

Pages (9): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #48)
Next Topic:Oilers select 2nd rd (#62) - Olivier Rodrigue
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca