This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #23)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #23) [message #723268]
Sun, 25 November 2018 23:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
Los Angeles to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #23) [message #723280 is a reply to message #723268 ]
Sun, 25 November 2018 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Can we fire some OBC members and Chia now please?

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #23) [message #723285 is a reply to message #723280 ]
Sun, 25 November 2018 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 25 November 2018 22:14

Can we fire some OBC members and Chia now please?

“Some?” Well it’s a start I guess. But they all need to go to get rid of the stink.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #23) [message #723283 is a reply to message #723268 ]
Sun, 25 November 2018 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Talbot loses to another backup.

Refs get 2nd star for the Kings.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #23) [message #723289 is a reply to message #723283 ]
Sun, 25 November 2018 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

K.McC#24 wrote on Mon, 26 November 2018 00:15

Talbot loses to another backup.

Refs get 2nd star for the Kings.

I dont put a lot of blame on Talbot for that one.

Lot's of blame to go around, lots of bad hockey, lots of bone headed plays/decisions.

I watched on the Kings feed and both during game and between periods it was mentioned repeatedly that this is the best the kings have looked all year.

At least they are in it until the end of most games these days
confused2

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #23) [message #723288 is a reply to message #723268 ]
Sun, 25 November 2018 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

That's a game a real hockey team finds a way to win.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #23) [message #723292 is a reply to message #723288 ]
Sun, 25 November 2018 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

The Oilers are now only 5 points up on the Kings for last place in the NHL. They are 3 points back of the final playoff spot.

This stretch of games looked like a real soft spot in the schedule and the team is bleeding points away.

[Updated on: Sun, 25 November 2018 23:23]

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #23) [message #723309 is a reply to message #723292 ]
Mon, 26 November 2018 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philly boy  is currently offline philly boy

No Cups

Adam wrote on Sun, 25 November 2018 23:21

The Oilers are now only 5 points up on the Kings for last place in the NHL. They are 3 points back of the final playoff spot.

This stretch of games looked like a real soft spot in the schedule and the team is bleeding points away.

I'm conflicted. I'm beginning to believe they may be better off tanking this season. I'm being serious. But I'm just another a-hole with an opinion, and probably am wrong in thinking this.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #23) [message #723310 is a reply to message #723309 ]
Mon, 26 November 2018 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

philly boy wrote on Mon, 26 November 2018 09:59

Adam wrote on Sun, 25 November 2018 23:21

I'm conflicted. I'm beginning to believe they may be better off tanking this season. I'm being serious. But I'm just another a-hole with an opinion, and probably am wrong in thinking this.

Maybe not intentional tanking though right? Like, just letting fate take it's course and be terrible naturally.

Hopefully means Chia and some OBC are gone, and maybe we end up with Hughes :)

Screw it, this is like 2nd nature to Oilers fans now, let it be so.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #23) [message #723293 is a reply to message #723288 ]
Sun, 25 November 2018 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

As much as it sucks we lost, after a week on the road, 3 close games under a new coach the signs are more positive than they were this time last weekend.

I thought that Talbot looked a bit more secure than he has of late, he was exposed by the defence on the first two goals, individually for the first one and the PK went back to playing kids hockey watching the puck rather than the man for the second.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #23) [message #723295 is a reply to message #723288 ]
Sun, 25 November 2018 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Slim Jim Phantom Call  is currently offline Slim Jim Phantom Call

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Sun, 25 November 2018 23:17

That's a game a real hockey team finds a way to win.

This.

In fairness to Hall, I've wanted to throw a waterbottle at Eakins all season.
~nullterm 03/22/2014

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #23) [message #723291 is a reply to message #723268 ]
Sun, 25 November 2018 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

“Yeah, were disappointed in the loss but we still came away with 3 crucial points on this road trip.”

..... aaaand you gave 5 points to the teams you played.

Koskinen Tuesday. Please. Talbot wasn’t terrible, but this team plays more confident in front of Koski.

Has a GM ever been fired mid season? Surely it’s happened before... we could get Scotty Bowman (not really, obviously) behind the bench with this team and still wouldn’t break .500 hockey. Frustrating.

Kings will be back in the playoff picture in a week, thanks to the Oilers confidence building seminar that just took place.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #23) [message #723299 is a reply to message #723268 ]
Mon, 26 November 2018 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stotto  is currently offline stotto

No Cups

For the past several years the Oilers have been absolutely amazing at turning other teams around.

A team is on a slide, going through a rough patch, have some key injuries or basically are just bad ...........bring in the Oilers they have the magical gift of making an immediate impact.

The consistency of the Oilers abaiulity to do this one thing mind boggling.

The " Identity line" played well but if this is supposed to be the new Oilers "identity" I'd say it's more of an identity crisis.

We need more Chaisson's ( role players with a work ethic and reasonable hockey skills) and less fringe players.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #23) [message #723301 is a reply to message #723268 ]
Mon, 26 November 2018 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

The good will ambassadors of the NHL do it again, handing the Kings their much needed confidence boost ( best game of the season apparently) and Brown gets the hat trick as a nice little bonus prize. So predictable. They came out flat and pretty much stunk all the way through. Until the Kopitar penalty in the first which led to a goal by Chaisson they were on their heels chasing the game and running around in their own zone like the keystone cops again. For whatever reason they play a much better game in front of Koskenin and in spite of this game probably not being Talbot's fault, need to stick with Kos if there is any hope of going anywhere this season! The stinkers are really starting to pile up, but I suppose this is all somehow figures into Peter's plan too.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #23) [message #723303 is a reply to message #723268 ]
Mon, 26 November 2018 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

That Strome/Spooner trade looks worse every day. Strome looking rejuvenated with NY. He is playing wing and put up some points, got into a fight. Guy is engaged. Spooner, looks like his stat line this year would make you expect. He was terrible in this game especially, making nothing of his chance on the 1st line.

I still don't get the timing of the Strome/Spooner trades. Chia always wanted to see him tried on the wing. Hitch comes in and wants Brodziak centering his grinder 3rd line. Chia would have got his wish. But he trades him right before the coaching change.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #23) [message #723308 is a reply to message #723303 ]
Mon, 26 November 2018 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 26 November 2018 09:17

That Strome/Spooner trade looks worse every day. Strome looking rejuvenated with NY. He is playing wing and put up some points, got into a fight. Guy is engaged. Spooner, looks like his stat line this year would make you expect. He was terrible in this game especially, making nothing of his chance on the 1st line.

I still don't get the timing of the Strome/Spooner trades. Chia always wanted to see him tried on the wing. Hitch comes in and wants Brodziak centering his grinder 3rd line. Chia would have got his wish. But he trades him right before the coaching change.

It's almost like he doesn't know what he's doing...

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #23) [message #723311 is a reply to message #723308 ]
Mon, 26 November 2018 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 26 November 2018 09:34

I tell you, he was making the deal for only two reasons:

1) an old school belief that you need to make a trade before you fire the coach and;

2) because he wants to stop people comparing Strome to Eberle, because it looks so bad for him. Now he can at least say that they didn’t trade Eberle for Spooner...

I do wonder if Hextall getting axed maybe makes the Oilers more likely to follow suit. They’ll never give far enough and remove all the cancers in management, but with the Todd-loving media up in arms against Chia anyhow, it’s only a matter of time until he’s gone. Big question is who all goes with him...easy money is on a surgical strike with no one else losing their job...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #23) [message #723312 is a reply to message #723311 ]
Mon, 26 November 2018 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Mon, 26 November 2018 10:03

1) an old school belief that you need to make a trade before you fire the coach and;

2) because he wants to stop people comparing Strome to Eberle, because it looks so bad for him. Now he can at least say that they didn’t trade Eberle for Spooner...

I do wonder if Hextall getting axed maybe makes the Oilers more likely to follow suit. They’ll never give far enough and remove all the cancers in management, but with the Todd-loving media up in arms against Chia anyhow, it’s only a matter of time until he’s gone. Big question is who all goes with him...easy money is on a surgical strike with no one else losing their job...

Could this be Craig "Number 2" Mactavish's big break?

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #23) [message #723313 is a reply to message #723312 ]
Mon, 26 November 2018 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

Was this a goalie loss?

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #23) [message #723315 is a reply to message #723313 ]
Mon, 26 November 2018 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Mon, 26 November 2018 10:23

Was this a goalie loss?

Nope! Maybe a defenceman loss....some shoddy play on the three goals against that mattered.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #23) [message #723314 is a reply to message #723312 ]
Mon, 26 November 2018 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 26 November 2018 10:10

The Oilers have already had one disastrous press conference with MacT being introduced as GM. The second one would be even worse, even without John McKinnon asking the hard questions. Much more likely that it would be a contest between Howson and Keith Gretzky for who wants to be on the hot seat. MacTavish learned the hard way that it’s better to go the Lowe route and get promoted out of the line of fire. I’d say it’s pretty unlikely that the Oilers would look outside the organization even for interviews, never mind for an actual hire.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #23) [message #723321 is a reply to message #723314 ]
Mon, 26 November 2018 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Oilers played one hell of a game against the Ducks. Played a sounds defensively, tight checking, no room for error game. The refs let the Ducks manhandle the Oilers like usual. Gibson stood on his head. Koskinen was great, they got a little unlucky and came within 17 seconds of a shut out. If they play like that often, they beat a lot of teams.

2 days later. With no travel other than a bus ride, tons of rest, they come out against the Kings and are flat and tentative. The old, SLOW Kings out stake them. They play a completely different game. So what changed?

Talbot started.

The loss is not Talbot's fault. He was not bad. He didn't make that BIG save at the key time but he wasn't the reason they lost. I thought that key time was on Kopitar in the 3rd but it wasn't a bad goal. But the team played different with him in there, it's obvious to me. Players talk about the mental side of the game and how they have to play with confidence. To me they don't play with confidence when Talbot is in there. They do with Koskinen. When Larsson missed cutting off that pass and Kopitar went in, I expected him to score. I think the team expected him to score too. I believe if that was Koskinen, the team would believe it was going to get stopped. That to me is a problem. I felt the team needed Talbot to steal a game for them to believe in him again. He didn't last night. They need to play Koskine for a while.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #23) [message #723325 is a reply to message #723314 ]
Mon, 26 November 2018 11:37 Go to previous message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 26 November 2018 10:25

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 26 November 2018 10:10

The Oilers have already had one disastrous press conference with MacT being introduced as GM. The second one would be even worse, even without John McKinnon asking the hard questions. Much more likely that it would be a contest between Howson and Keith Gretzky for who wants to be on the hot seat. MacTavish learned the hard way that it’s better to go the Lowe route and get promoted out of the line of fire. I’d say it’s pretty unlikely that the Oilers would look outside the organization even for interviews, never mind for an actual hire.

I want this more than anything right now. I'd be super happy to waste another McDavid season just for 3 more MacT press conferences. Can I please?

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Previous Topic:Pregame: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #24)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #23)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca