This day on April 16
Acquired: Ty Conklin (2001)

Happy Birthday To: Ryno, Rifle, tollen, oiler-dude, oiler4life, Big T, MikeHawk, ryanbatty, jtb36, retirealreadymikekeane

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #16)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #16) [message #721960]
Thu, 08 November 2018 19:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
Florida to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #16) [message #721962 is a reply to message #721960 ]
Thu, 08 November 2018 19:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

The Oilers we know and love. Unfathomable line combos, Benning, lazy skating, bad passing, no plan of attack with the goalie out.

Rewind.

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #16) [message #721963 is a reply to message #721960 ]
Thu, 08 November 2018 19:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

I had to miss the game tonight. There was talk Pujujarvi might play on his off wing tonight.

That so?

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #16) [message #721965 is a reply to message #721960 ]
Thu, 08 November 2018 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

And just to rub it in....Canucks leading Bruins 8-5 with a couple of minutes left to play. Worst team in the league coming back from an exhausting trip to Europe, the perfect scenario for another classic Oiler loss. The only thing missing was the back up goalie who hadn't won in umpteen number of games, or a player on the other team scoring a hat trick who didn't have a point yet this season. Yeah the reffing was bad but....

[Updated on: Thu, 08 November 2018 20:00]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #16) [message #721966 is a reply to message #721965 ]
Thu, 08 November 2018 20:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

No Cups

overdue wrote on Thu, 08 November 2018 18:57

And just to rub it in....Canucks leading Bruins 8-5 with a couple of minutes left to play. Worst team in the league coming back from an exhausting trip to Europe, the perfect scenario for another classic Oiler loss. The only thing missing was the back up goalie who hadn't won in umpteen number of games, or a player on the other team scoring a hat trick who didn't have a point yet this season. Yeah the reffing was bad but....

It was also missing a plug ex-Oiler, lighting up his former team.

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #16) [message #721988 is a reply to message #721965 ]
Fri, 09 November 2018 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Don't forget the Panthers were on a 9-game home losing streak until they ran into the Slumpbusters...er Oilers.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #16) [message #722014 is a reply to message #721988 ]
Fri, 09 November 2018 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Goose wrote on Fri, 09 November 2018 09:24

Don't forget the Panthers were on a 9-game home losing streak until they ran into the Slumpbusters...er Oilers.

SlumpDumpsters! Oh. Yeah!

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #16) [message #721967 is a reply to message #721960 ]
Thu, 08 November 2018 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

I can't see a Joel Quenneville coached team going down like that.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #16) [message #721968 is a reply to message #721960 ]
Thu, 08 November 2018 20:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Chia needs to Trump McLellan ASAP now. In other words, get soemone else to fire him, then when Todd calls him to ask why he was fired, Chia pretends he had no idea Todd was fired and says "damn it" with pretend disappointment, and then says nothing he can do, bye.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #16) [message #721980 is a reply to message #721968 ]
Fri, 09 November 2018 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 08 November 2018 20:20

Chia needs to Trump McLellan ASAP now. In other words, get soemone else to fire him, then when Todd calls him to ask why he was fired, Chia pretends he had no idea Todd was fired and says "damn it" with pretend disappointment, and then says nothing he can do, bye.

I heard McLellan threw Strome under the bus last night - singling his mistake on the PK in his press scrum. I'm still not sure why McLellan thinks his job with the media is to dissect every goal against and assign a culprit within his dressing room. I'm all for video sessions and discussions with players about times when they were out of position, but there's just no good reason to do that with the press. Let them do their own damn analysis.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #16) [message #721969 is a reply to message #721960 ]
Thu, 08 November 2018 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

I’m not a hockey insider, but I have a hunch JQ wouldn’t touch this organization with a 10 foot pole. Even with another McDavid on defence. Even though I’m not a hockey insider, myself, like many of you out there, have heard first hand about the bad rep this organization has amongst the NHL community. JQ isn’t that desperate. Dallas Eakins is.

I’ll be glad when somebody hires him and this false hope evaporates.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #16) [message #721976 is a reply to message #721969 ]
Fri, 09 November 2018 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

g2k wrote on Thu, 08 November 2018 20:35

I’m not a hockey insider, but I have a hunch JQ wouldn’t touch this organization with a 10 foot pole. Even with another McDavid on defence. Even though I’m not a hockey insider, myself, like many of you out there, have heard first hand about the bad rep this organization has amongst the NHL community. JQ isn’t that desperate. Dallas Eakins is.

The thing about Quenville is how many teams have new coaches around the league. Calgary, Washington, Dallas, Rangers, Islanders, Carolina. I think that is it. Then you look at how many teams would be happy with theirs. LA just fired their guy and hired an intern plus that team is on the decline. So you get down to only a couple of teams. Maybe Detroit who are in a major decline. Flyers, St. Louis, Anaheim, Edmonton maybe. I am not sure who is left. Plus there are teams out there who aren't willing to spend big money. So the amount of teams who might actually have the opportunity and can afford him are pretty small.

For the game. Disappointing. The team looked tired especially as the game wore on. I thought Luongo was freaking fantastic making multiple incredible stops that should have been goals. Rattie himself should have had 2. It looked liked it took the Oilers heart. The Nurse- Russell pairing looked good for a while but they are struggling right now. I thought Strome was terrible last night. I had hoped him scoring would spark him. I thought Klefbom-Larsson were OK but not great. The 3rd pairing was a 3rd pairing. The 4th line wasn't great but I don't expect too much. Puljujarvi didn't do anything again. He was on the 4th line I get it but he should be able to stand out at least a little when up against 4th liners. He's supposed to be WAY more skilled than your NHL 4th liner and he didn't even get a shot on goal, I don't even think he made an attempt. He needs to be in Bakersfield, so does Yamamoto. Just do the right freaking thing Oilers.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #16) [message #722019 is a reply to message #721976 ]
Fri, 09 November 2018 18:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 09 November 2018 08:26

The thing about Quenville is how many teams have new coaches around the league. Calgary, Washington, Dallas, Rangers, Islanders, Carolina. I think that is it. Then you look at how many teams would be happy with theirs. LA just fired their guy and hired an intern plus that team is on the decline. So you get down to only a couple of teams. Maybe Detroit who are in a major decline. Flyers, St. Louis, Anaheim, Edmonton maybe. I am not sure who is left. Plus there are teams out there who aren't willing to spend big money. So the amount of teams who might actually have the opportunity and can afford him are pretty small.

I’m going to go out on a limb and assume there are some teams on your list that didn’t have their HC on the hot seat, but now suddenly have had a change of heart following the JQ firing.

You can’t argue that when a coach like he becomes available, there are teams re-evaluating their coach. And there’s every possibility the Oilers are as well. I just feel regardless of how high Katzie raises his skirt, JQ is going home with someone else. Too many big brothers too worry about. He will get his money.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #16) [message #721994 is a reply to message #721969 ]
Fri, 09 November 2018 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philly boy  is currently offline philly boy

No Cups

If the perception around the league really was that unanimous, I doubt McDavid re-signs the massive extension like he did. He could've asked for a league max deal and the team would've been justified in giving it to him.

I think it's quite a stretch to think Q wouldn't jump at the opportunity to coach the world's best player. Of course there are holes on this roster, but there are a lot of very good to great pieces, and I don't think they are as bad as some here want to believe. As for the "issue" of the OBC, I'm sure he gets (or would get) along with them just fine.

[Updated on: Fri, 09 November 2018 11:19]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #16) [message #722007 is a reply to message #721994 ]
Fri, 09 November 2018 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

philly boy wrote on Fri, 09 November 2018 11:15

If the perception around the league really was that unanimous, I doubt McDavid re-signs the massive extension like he did. He could've asked for a league max deal and the team would've been justified in giving it to him.

I think it's quite a stretch to think Q wouldn't jump at the opportunity to coach the world's best player. Of course there are holes on this roster, but there are a lot of very good to great pieces, and I don't think they are as bad as some here want to believe. As for the "issue" of the OBC, I'm sure he gets (or would get) along with them just fine.

What makes you so sure of that? As much as I'd like to have Quenneville here i do think working for this management and ownership group would be unattractive to anybody who wanted to run their own show.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #16) [message #722013 is a reply to message #722007 ]
Fri, 09 November 2018 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 09 November 2018 15:22

What makes you so sure of that? As much as I'd like to have Quenneville here i do think working for this management and ownership group would be unattractive to anybody who wanted to run their own show.

The other possible challenge for anyone considering taking a role as Oilers coach would be the possibility that Chia's a lame duck GM. He's not good, and there's a cabal of former Oilers nearby who may decide to make a change. Your boss today may not be there tomorrow, and the next GM may not share a philosophy with you and may want to "put his stamp" on the team by adding his own coach. That's always the old-school NHL way (although whether it's the right way or not is somewhat doubtful unless the coach has some significant red flags too...replacing the GM shouldn't always mean the coach needs to go too).

There are more doubts about whether Chia should be here than even McLellan, so if you're Quenneville and Chia offers you a job, you have to wonder what his shelf life is - or if he's likely to make another foolish trade in order to try and save his job, possibly hamstringing you on the roster more.

Of course, maybe that's a positive feature too. No Chia means you won't see him trade a top NHL talent for pennies on the dollar or sign more grinders to long term deals with no move clauses...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #16) [message #722020 is a reply to message #721994 ]
Fri, 09 November 2018 18:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

philly boy wrote on Fri, 09 November 2018 11:15

I doubt a guy with a personality of McDavid would want to get any Lindros on him. It’s very big of him to realize the cap situation in which is no fault of his own. He is a solid individual beyond his years in maturity that loves a challenge. I don’t believe his signing surprised the largest of us pessimists in here.

Feeling that he would get along with the OBC is pretty ambitious thinking. But that’s just me.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #16) [message #722025 is a reply to message #722020 ]
Sat, 10 November 2018 15:27 Go to previous message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

....lines at Saturday's practice in preparation for their game Sunday against Colorado///

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/blog-practice-updates-1110/c -301799232?tid=281885062

...."Forward lines at practice appeared to be:

Nugent-Hopkins - McDavid - Rattie

Rieder - Draisaitl - Chiasson

Lucic - Strome - Caggiula

Khaira - Brodziak - Kassian

Defence:

Klefbom - Larsson

Nurse - Russell

Garrison/Gravel - Benning"....

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #16) [message #721970 is a reply to message #721960 ]
Thu, 08 November 2018 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

I worked late and PVR'd this game, it went pretty quickly after 2-0.

One goaltender set the tone for his team with 2 huge stops early, the other mediocre.

Oilers looked like a team not into it, not motivated, disjointed, lacking energy at times...we've seen this frigging movie for over a decade...WT EFF?

Usually Nuge puts in a solid effort and does some special things, I like some of the details of his game, and I rarely single him out but I wasn't enamored with his night tonight. He sure wasn't alone though.

We see Nurse & Russell out a lot with the McDavid line, those 2 can't break a puck out worth a damn and it detracts from an offensive attack. Hard to believe a guy who can skate and transport the puck like Nurse just doesn't have a decent shot and no real offensive upside.

Disappointing. The first and last games of this trip were the ones to win. 3 game skid, they have to end the bleeding here before this gets out of hand.

We can look at the record after the start and compared to last year the Oilers will take it, but looking at this team in the moment and recent efforts on this road trip is cause for concern.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #16) [message #721973 is a reply to message #721970 ]
Fri, 09 November 2018 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve  is currently offline Steve

No Cups

I stopped watching before the second period was over. The Oilers didn't show up to play and you could tell there was no chance of a comeback. You're right about Nuge. When he doesn't look sharp, you know things aren't going well. Maybe he's sick. Maybe they had a bad sleep. Maybe they're dead tired after a road trip and 10+ games of being run into the ground by the coach. I don't know. But they didn't seem that interested in winning the game.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #16) [message #722002 is a reply to message #721973 ]
Fri, 09 November 2018 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Steve wrote on Fri, 09 November 2018 06:49

I stopped watching before the second period was over. The Oilers didn't show up to play and you could tell there was no chance of a comeback. You're right about Nuge. When he doesn't look sharp, you know things aren't going well. Maybe he's sick. Maybe they had a bad sleep. Maybe they're dead tired after a road trip and 10+ games of being run into the ground by the coach. I don't know. But they didn't seem that interested in winning the game.

Nuge didn't have legs. Connor isn't even seperating himself and using players like turnstyles the way he usually does. Maybe being ridden like a rented mule adds up.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #16) [message #722006 is a reply to message #722002 ]
Fri, 09 November 2018 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Fri, 09 November 2018 12:10

Steve wrote on Fri, 09 November 2018 06:49

Nuge didn't have legs. Connor isn't even seperating himself and using players like turnstyles the way he usually does. Maybe being ridden like a rented mule adds up.

I still think the sickness thing could be an issue. Bob Stauffer took a couple days off Oilers Lunch this week due to illness too - and he's travelling with the team in Florida.

There could be a flu bug running through several of the team.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #16) [message #721974 is a reply to message #721960 ]
Fri, 09 November 2018 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stotto  is currently offline stotto

No Cups

Disappointing.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #16) [message #721978 is a reply to message #721974 ]
Fri, 09 November 2018 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
McDavid97  is currently offline McDavid97

No Cups

Oilers 4 shot compared to 18 of Flordia..... we can see who put in effort after the 1st.

Oilers motto - beat good teams, lose all the rest.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #16) [message #721985 is a reply to message #721960 ]
Fri, 09 November 2018 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

Tired team showed up, adding bad team decisions. JP is being sent down when the Oilers get home, and Yamamoto should follow right behind him. Both guys clearly not ready for day to day NHL work, however, I think that question can be asked of people like Benning, Strome, and a couple others.

Oil are 8-7-? The ? is a means a point I guess so it does have some value. Very close to playing under 500 hockey so that's concerning however that said I thought they would be far worse than they are.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Previous Topic:Pregame: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #17)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #16)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca