This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Pregame: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #16)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Pregame: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #16) [message #721893]
Thu, 08 November 2018 03:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final
Score Prediction
Login To Make Your Prediction

Edmonton to win: 0%
Florida to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

2018-19 Regular Season
Thursday, November 8, 2018Edmonton 1 @ Florida 4Loss
Thursday, January 10, 2019Florida 3 @ Edmonton 4 (OT) (SO)Win
Home Record: 1-0-0       Road Record: 0-1-0       Overall Record: 1-1-0
Home / Road Goals For: 4/1 Total: 5
Home / Road Goals Against: 3/4 Total: 7

2017-18 Regular Season
Monday, February 12, 2018Florida 7 @ Edmonton 5Loss
Saturday, March 17, 2018Edmonton 4 @ Florida 2Win
Home Record: 0-1-0       Road Record: 1-0-0       Overall Record: 1-1-0
Home / Road Goals For: 5/4 Total: 9
Home / Road Goals Against: 7/2 Total: 9

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #16) [message #721896 is a reply to message #721893 ]
Thu, 08 November 2018 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

Tired team vs bad team.. who shows up today?

It's a win if they play with the same intensity they showed Tampa.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #16) [message #721900 is a reply to message #721896 ]
Thu, 08 November 2018 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Thu, 08 November 2018 08:33

Which team is the Oilers?

[Updated on: Thu, 08 November 2018 09:11]

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #16) [message #721902 is a reply to message #721900 ]
Thu, 08 November 2018 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 08 November 2018 10:08

Both are likely tired and bad if we are honest.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #16) [message #721905 is a reply to message #721902 ]
Thu, 08 November 2018 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

No Cups

PlusOne wrote on Thu, 08 November 2018 10:03

It's so cool how even when the Oilers are definitely NOT a bad team, the fan base still wants to think they are. computer

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #16) [message #721906 is a reply to message #721905 ]
Thu, 08 November 2018 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Skoobz wrote on Thu, 08 November 2018 11:08

It's so cool how even when the Oilers are definitely NOT a bad team, the fan base still wants to think they are. computer

The Oilers have earned that reputation over the last how many years. Since the beginning of the rebuild or before and then there was the rebuild of the rebuild and then there was....many seasons of not even a sniff at the playoffs. It's not a mystery! We are so use to being let down by them that we have come to expect it. ( maybe we're causing it, do we have that much power? )

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #16) [message #721909 is a reply to message #721905 ]
Thu, 08 November 2018 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Skoobz wrote on Thu, 08 November 2018 12:08

While I am happy that they have been doing better this year I find it hard to believe they are "definitely" not a bad team.

Many games they have had zero offence out of anyone but what is driven by McDavid
Many games they have had below average goaltending
Most games the special teams have been between atrocious and mildly better

The improvement is so far this season they are not a terrible team but they are still pretty far from a good team. This leaves them in the bad category to me.

We are so used to them being SO bad that any improvement fools some into thinking that this is a good team when they are merely an acceptable NHL team at this point

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #16) [message #721912 is a reply to message #721905 ]
Thu, 08 November 2018 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

I think most would agree the Oil are better than last year's showing. But the sample size so far is a bit too small to say the are "definitely" good. This set of coaches, assisted by McDavid, may even get them into the playoffs. But does anyone think they would win?

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #16) [message #721925 is a reply to message #721912 ]
Thu, 08 November 2018 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

No Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 08 November 2018 11:47

I think most would agree the Oil are better than last year's showing. But the sample size so far is a bit too small to say the are "definitely" good. This set of coaches, assisted by McDavid, may even get them into the playoffs. But does anyone think they would win?

I said they are definitely not bad, not that they are definitely good.

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #16) [message #721927 is a reply to message #721925 ]
Thu, 08 November 2018 16:24 Go to previous message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Skoobz wrote on Thu, 08 November 2018 16:08

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 08 November 2018 11:47

I said they are definitely not bad, not that they are definitely good.

Fair. Those are two very different things.

I'm not sure that they're not bad right now, but I am happy with the results and leaning that way. Beating the living stuffing out of a returning from Europe team would help.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #16) [message #721913 is a reply to message #721905 ]
Thu, 08 November 2018 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

We have some great players, but I think it's a stretch to say we have a good team right now, especially with some of the organizational weakness.

- Chiarelli is probably top-3 worst GMs in the league. The "brain trust" around him would all give him a run for worst if they had the job too. On top of that, even if Chia got fired, the chance of getting a top notch guy to replace him is hurt by the fact we have all those other clowns sitting there too - many with a personal relationship with the owner.

- McLellan is not good too...I'd definitely put him in the bottom third of the league in coaches, maybe lower than that. Stubborn, bad communicator, terrible special teams, over-reliance on stars, morale killing, unable to adjust mid-game or mid-series.

- The scouting staff is riddled with nepotism picks. I'm sure that Messier's brother and Chiarelli's brother are good guys, but are they really the most capable people to have in the scouting staff? Or was that just because of their last names?

- Player development remains a challenge. There is limited depth in the system. If we suffer any injuries, there's not a lot of guys who are pushing towards an NHL roster on the farm team.

- Cap situation is critical - although Chia just blames this on McDavid with a chuckle in the latest Athletic article, the team has no latitude to make any moves.

- On-ice, McDavid is sublime and we've had pretty good starts from Nugent-Hopkins, Draisaitl and Klefbom. Chiasson and Caggiula have surprised with the hot hands lately. Beyond that, and we're seeing some serious issues. Strome has a single point. Lucic is on pace for a 22 point season. Yamamoto and Puljujarvi's development looks to be in danger. The fourth line has been bad - Brodziak is -7. Kassian can't stay in the lineup.

- Goaltending has been iffy.

- Nurse is carrying a third pairing guy with him on the second pairing all the time - he's -6. The coach has no confidence in anyone who plays on the third pairing and so they play sparingly while Klefbom's in the top five in the league for time on ice.

I think the Oilers have been okay so far this year, but I don't think this team is anywhere near out of the woods yet, and if they played in any other division, I'd say that playoffs would be doubtful - which is unforgivable for a team with Connor McDavid.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #16) [message #721915 is a reply to message #721913 ]
Thu, 08 November 2018 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

....Chiasson back in, Yamamoto and Kharia in the press box, Puljujarvi down to 4th line duties

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/morning-skate-report-oilers- at-panthers/c-301714904?tid=282301100

..."Lines appeared to be:

Nugent-Hopkins - McDavid - Rattie
Rieder - Draisaitl - Chiasson
Lucic - Strome - Caggiula
Kassian - Brodziak - Puljujarvi

Klefbom - Larsson
Russell - Nurse
Gravel- Benning

Talbot"...

...Luongo in goal for Florida....

Previous Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Florida (Game #16)
Next Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Tampa (Game #15)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca