This day on October 23
None

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers pre-season game at Cologne, Germany 10/3/18Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Oilers pre-season game at Cologne, Germany 10/3/18 [message #719443]
Wed, 03 October 2018 06:14 Go to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

....lineups for today's 8 AM pre-season game...

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/pre-game-report-oilers-at-ha ie/c-300552260?tid=282301100

The Oilers will go with a younger blueline with the following potential line combinations for the contest:

Nugent-Hopkins - McDavid - Rattie
Lucic - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Rieder - Strome - Puljujarvi
Kassian - Brodziak - Caggiula

Defence pairings:

Garrison - Bear
Klefbom - Bouchard
Nurse - Benning

....no Adam Larssen...Koskinen in goal "at least to start"....

Cologne lineup...

Goaltenders

29 Gustaf Wesslau
53 Bastian Kucis

Defencemen

2 Corey Potter
5 Morgan Ellis
7 Dominik Tiffels
16 Tobias Viklund
23 Austin Madalsky
27 Pascal Zerressen
52 Alexander Sulzer
91 Moritz Muller

Forwards

13 Lucas Dumont
18 Kai Hospelt
19 Jason Akeson
20 Robin Palka
21 Frederik Tiffels
28 Ryan Jones
37 Dani Bindels
50 Alexander Oblinger
55 Felix Schutz
59 Colby Genoway
70 Michael Zalewski
77 Mick Kohler
86 Ben Hanowski
93 Sebastien Uvira
95 Fabio Pfohl

....can't remember ever watching an Oiler game at this time of day....

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers pre-season game at Cologne, Germany 10/3/18 [message #719448 is a reply to message #719443 ]
Wed, 03 October 2018 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

No Cups

On Oilers TV? or is this televised somewhere?

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Oilers pre-season game at Cologne, Germany 10/3/18 [message #719449 is a reply to message #719448 ]
Wed, 03 October 2018 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 03 October 2018 07:39

On Oilers TV? or is this televised somewhere?

Looks like it's on Sportsnet in ~18 minutes.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Oilers pre-season game at Cologne, Germany 10/3/18 [message #719450 is a reply to message #719443 ]
Wed, 03 October 2018 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Corey Potter, hey? Interesting.

Peter Chiarelli, General Disappointment.

Drink wine, fall faster, and fly. Fly, baby, fly.

Re: Oilers pre-season game at Cologne, Germany 10/3/18 [message #719452 is a reply to message #719443 ]
Wed, 03 October 2018 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

Was I dreaming or did I hear not long ago that the Big Toe was no longer doing colour on the Oiler broadcasts? Because I’m pretty sure that his voice I’m hearing.

Limecat Logic

Re: Oilers pre-season game at Cologne, Germany 10/3/18 [message #719454 is a reply to message #719452 ]
Wed, 03 October 2018 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Well hopefully this game in his home town, in front of his family, friends and up against his Dad will put a little spark in Leon as he was even by his own admission been pretty sleepy in the preseason.

Re: Oilers pre-season game at Cologne, Germany 10/3/18 [message #719461 is a reply to message #719454 ]
Wed, 03 October 2018 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

1 Cup

LOL.

This team is going to have problems if they are struggling against the Cologne Eagles, basically an ECHL team...

Wow. Awesome squad we have here in Edmonton.

Re: Oilers pre-season game at Cologne, Germany 10/3/18 [message #719462 is a reply to message #719461 ]
Wed, 03 October 2018 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Oilers need to stop taking lazy penalties and stop trying to set up Leon. Even McLellan has swapped the lines and has Rieder with Lucic and Leon so the 2 German's can play together in front of the home town. Haven't heard Nuge's name. Puljujarvi has been quiet. Even McDavid who should eat these guys up has sounded quiet. He's got a few points but it doesn't sound like he's been overly dominate like he should be. Just play the damn game.

[Updated on: Wed, 03 October 2018 10:38]

Re: Oilers pre-season game at Cologne, Germany 10/3/18 [message #719463 is a reply to message #719461 ]
Wed, 03 October 2018 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

HamBlaster wrote on Wed, 03 October 2018 10:22

LOL.

This team is going to have problems if they are struggling against the Cologne Eagles, basically an ECHL team...

Wow. Awesome squad we have here in Edmonton.

Ah it's an exhibition game. I can't imagine the team is going full out on this one. I mean, the Oilers could be really bad, but this game doesn't prove that.

Re: Oilers pre-season game at Cologne, Germany 10/3/18 [message #719464 is a reply to message #719463 ]
Wed, 03 October 2018 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilerfan79  is currently offline oilerfan79

No Cups

I'm sure they were told have a good time and don't get hurt.

Re: Oilers pre-season game at Cologne, Germany 10/3/18 [message #719465 is a reply to message #719464 ]
Wed, 03 October 2018 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

The Devils went to OT yesterday, so on this reasoning they aren't any better than us. I'm not going to say it was stage managed, but it makes for a good story line for the German and Swiss hockey press. You also have to account for them being up and running in there season, that adds a yard or so of pace onto them.

Also whilst the NHL and KHL have the money to buy the best players, the top European sides shouldn't be dismissed as simply cannon fodder in these matches, they are decent teams. Had this been in the UK yes, it would have been fodder, but not the better leagues.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: Oilers pre-season game at Cologne, Germany 10/3/18 [message #719468 is a reply to message #719464 ]
Wed, 03 October 2018 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Yeah, when this game was close all along and the atmosphere the way it was in the beginning, it was a bit more than an exhibition game but a bit less than a regular season game.

Cologne accounted for themselves quite well, I thought the Oilers would do a bit more with the room than they did. PK will be a huge issue for the Oilers again if they give opponents 5-6 opportunities a game.

Edmonton D looked a bit rough at times.....the Oilers can't ice that D and expect wins at the NHL level. They're going to need their best to be available and playing. Koskinen between the pipes and 3 goals on 18 or so shots against. Leon's line outside of the first goal was uninspiring. Until I see different, this team is going to be a 1 trick pony 5v5. The caveat is not to take too much out of this game, but if the goal for the 2nd and 3rd lines to contribute in the season is to build momentum out of the preseason, I don't know if we've seen that. Outside of Rattie basically in his role, we've seen Yamamoto and JP bring some offense individually, but we haven't seen these 2nd/3rd lines intact centered by LD and Strome click much.

Still lots of questions going into the season, and we'll get the answers soon enough.

Re: Oilers pre-season game at Cologne, Germany 10/3/18 [message #719466 is a reply to message #719443 ]
Wed, 03 October 2018 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

Pre-season or not LD is struggling big time, can't make a pass, and can't seem to remember how to stick handle, his line was on for 2 goals where they got stuck in their own end and kept coughing up the puck.. his game needs a lot of work. Whatever he does in the off season for training ... he should do the opposite next year..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier

Re: Oilers pre-season game at Cologne, Germany 10/3/18 [message #719469 is a reply to message #719466 ]
Wed, 03 October 2018 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 03 October 2018 10:54

Pre-season or not LD is struggling big time, can't make a pass, and can't seem to remember how to stick handle, his line was on for 2 goals where they got stuck in their own end and kept coughing up the puck.. his game needs a lot of work. Whatever he does in the off season for training ... he should do the opposite next year..

Well, the excuse is that he's dragging Looch around, and I've made that excuse. He has struggled with stuff under his control, though.

Re: Oilers pre-season game at Cologne, Germany 10/3/18 [message #719470 is a reply to message #719469 ]
Wed, 03 October 2018 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Wed, 03 October 2018 10:07

Well, the excuse is that he's dragging Looch around, and I've made that excuse. He has struggled with stuff under his control, though.

Yeah, I was just talking about LD with the puck, a lot of turn overs, with bad, low percentage passes, and even his stick handling. Not moving his feet, he's looked quicker than he is now.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier

Re: Oilers pre-season game at Cologne, Germany 10/3/18 [message #719473 is a reply to message #719470 ]
Wed, 03 October 2018 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 03 October 2018 11:22

K.McC#24 wrote on Wed, 03 October 2018 10:07

Yeah, I was just talking about LD with the puck, a lot of turn overs, with bad, low percentage passes, and even his stick handling. Not moving his feet, he's looked quicker than he is now.

Well, you look at LD and his contract, and expectations are high....no getting away from that. I don't think there's a danger of an underperformance on a Lucic level of last year, but looking at what LD is capable of delivering when he does get his feet moving and is engaged, sometimes he leaves you wanting.

Also, I'm still waiting to see what 5 LH shots delivers on the 1PP unit. Do other teams even do this?

Re: Oilers pre-season game at Cologne, Germany 10/3/18 [message #719475 is a reply to message #719469 ]
Wed, 03 October 2018 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Wed, 03 October 2018 11:07

I get that Lucic is the whipping boy for the Oilers. It used to be Horcoff now it's Lucic. But the whole notion that Leon's struggles because he has to "drag" Lucic around is the biggest pile of crap out there and a cop out. Leon bobbling the puck, Leon not picking up his man, Leon doing a fly by in his zone, Leon doing stupid passes etc. All of that has nothing to do with Lucic. It's all Leon.

Let's be clear here. Lucic getting criticized is warranted because of his play. If he wants to make it go away, it's on him to do it BUT the second line is not contingent on Lucic. It's 100% all on Leon. Leon is the second best player on the Oilers and he's more than compensated for that designation. But it doesn't matter if it's Lucic, or Khaira or Rieder or whoever is on his wing. If Leon isn't driving that line, that line isn't going period.

Re: Oilers pre-season game at Cologne, Germany 10/3/18 [message #719476 is a reply to message #719475 ]
Wed, 03 October 2018 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 03 October 2018 11:55

I get that Lucic is the whipping boy for the Oilers. It used to be Horcoff now it's Lucic. But the whole notion that Leon's struggles because he has to "drag" Lucic around is the biggest pile of crap out there and a cop out. Leon bobbling the puck, Leon not picking up his man, Leon doing a fly by in his zone, Leon doing stupid passes etc. All of that has nothing to do with Lucic. It's all Leon.

Let's be clear here. Lucic getting criticized is warranted because of his play. If he wants to make it go away, it's on him to do it BUT the second line is not contingent on Lucic. It's 100% all on Leon. Leon is the second best player on the Oilers and he's more than compensated for that designation. But it doesn't matter if it's Lucic, or Khaira or Rieder or whoever is on his wing. If Leon isn't driving that line, that line isn't going period.

I more or less agree with this, but Lucic does reduce the amount of time Drai has to think and do things, so there is something to the idea. That said, you don't see Lucic dragging down McDavid...

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Oilers pre-season game at Cologne, Germany 10/3/18 [message #719480 is a reply to message #719476 ]
Wed, 03 October 2018 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Wed, 03 October 2018 12:00

I more or less agree with this, but Lucic does reduce the amount of time Drai has to think and do things, so there is something to the idea. That said, you don't see Lucic dragging down McDavid...

I'd argue Lucic did drag McDavid down. There was a six week period last year where McLellan stapled Lucic to his side, no matter what happened because "we have to get Milan a goal". In that time, Lucic had 5 assists. Carrying a winger who puts up next to no points was absolutely a drag on McDavid's stats through that period of time.

I still think it must have seemed bizarre to so many players on the team who have absolutely no rope to make any mistakes to have a single player gifted first line time in the hopes of getting him a goal while he wasn't producing for SO LONG. Hard to square that with, say, Ryan Strome - who got yanked from offensive lines very early on. Or Jesse Puljujarvi, who the team said needed to be given time to grow in a third line role (despite producing well every time he has skated with McD).

I am not at all concerned about this result today. It's a meaningless game where you just don't want anyone to get hurt, against a team that's trying their damnedest because they are striving players who know there's NHL eyes on them for a change. Not to mention, it's on the big ice, European refs...the result never mattered. And we won all the same.

Lots to be worried about with this team, but this game isn't one of those things.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Oilers pre-season game at Cologne, Germany 10/3/18 [message #719482 is a reply to message #719480 ]
Wed, 03 October 2018 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 03 October 2018 12:41

I'd argue Lucic did drag McDavid down. There was a six week period last year where McLellan stapled Lucic to his side, no matter what happened because "we have to get Milan a goal". In that time, Lucic had 5 assists. Carrying a winger who puts up next to no points was absolutely a drag on McDavid's stats through that period of time.

I still think it must have seemed bizarre to so many players on the team who have absolutely no rope to make any mistakes to have a single player gifted first line time in the hopes of getting him a goal while he wasn't producing for SO LONG. Hard to square that with, say, Ryan Strome - who got yanked from offensive lines very early on. Or Jesse Puljujarvi, who the team said needed to be given time to grow in a third line role (despite producing well every time he has skated with McD).

I am not at all concerned about this result today. It's a meaningless game where you just don't want anyone to get hurt, against a team that's trying their damnedest because they are striving players who know there's NHL eyes on them for a change. Not to mention, it's on the big ice, European refs...the result never mattered. And we won all the same.

Lots to be worried about with this team, but this game isn't one of those things.

On McDavid+Lucic last year. I think there was an unintended benefit to that combo. That's how McDavid learned to take the bull by the horns and started scoring like a madman, because one of his wingers was just never around or in good spots. So, Lucic can get some credit for McDavid further perfecting his balance of shooting and passing.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Oilers pre-season game at Cologne, Germany 10/3/18 [message #719508 is a reply to message #719480 ]
Wed, 03 October 2018 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 03 October 2018 12:41

I had a great chuckle watching the PP today. Lucic is all alone standing beside the net and McDavid decides to try going through two opponents instead. Enough is enough.

It’s exactly how I treated my sister in road hockey.

Limecat Logic

Re: Oilers pre-season game at Cologne, Germany 10/3/18 [message #719484 is a reply to message #719476 ]
Wed, 03 October 2018 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

The Oilers are paying Leon to drive the second line. Do the winger help him a bit, sure they do but in my mind, I don't care who is on Leon's line, if he is not moving his feet, if he is doing fly byes defensively and throwing up grenades for passes, his line isn't going. No different than when McDavid has the odd off game. If he's having a crap game, his line isn't going.

Re: Oilers pre-season game at Cologne, Germany 10/3/18 [message #719485 is a reply to message #719484 ]
Wed, 03 October 2018 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 03 October 2018 13:50

The Oilers are paying Leon to drive the second line. Do the winger help him a bit, sure they do but in my mind, I don't care who is on Leon's line, if he is not moving his feet, if he is doing fly byes defensively and throwing up grenades for passes, his line isn't going. No different than when McDavid has the odd off game. If he's having a crap game, his line isn't going.

You've played hockey though, right? Your linemates are huge contributors to your success at any level. Whether that's guys who can get you the puck, or take a pass or simply bang in the garbage on chances you create, linemates are important and they do have a significant impact.

Draisaitl is the best player on his line, and he can be a driver, but he needs help. If the wingers can't manage the break-out, or get him the puck with momentum, then it's a major issue. Draisaitl is also a pass-first player, so he's going to need wingers who can get open, take a pass and convert. We've seen Lucic struggle with all these things, so that could be a big problem.

Ideally, Lucic figures it out and starts positively contributing. However, if he isn't, then the coaching staff can't be married to this combination and they have to give Leon help - be it Puljujarvi, Rieder, Yamamoto - he needs linemates who will contribute.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Oilers pre-season game at Cologne, Germany 10/3/18 [message #719490 is a reply to message #719485 ]
Wed, 03 October 2018 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 03 October 2018 13:55

You've played hockey though, right? Your linemates are huge contributors to your success at any level. Whether that's guys who can get you the puck, or take a pass or simply bang in the garbage on chances you create, linemates are important and they do have a significant impact.

Draisaitl is the best player on his line, and he can be a driver, but he needs help. If the wingers can't manage the break-out, or get him the puck with momentum, then it's a major issue. Draisaitl is also a pass-first player, so he's going to need wingers who can get open, take a pass and convert. We've seen Lucic struggle with all these things, so that could be a big problem.

Ideally, Lucic figures it out and starts positively contributing. However, if he isn't, then the coaching staff can't be married to this combination and they have to give Leon help - be it Puljujarvi, Rieder, Yamamoto - he needs linemates who will contribute.

Yes I played hockey and yes I know that your linemates help you.I am not saying Lucic isn't perfect what so ever. I know his contract sucks. I know it's too long, I know he makes too much money. I know in all likelihood he will decline. Chia sucks,McLellan sucks, the Oilers organization sucks,Kazr sucks, blah, blah, blah. I know all of this, I don't need to hear it for the 500th time. But at the end of the day, Lucic is here. Lucic needs to be better. He needs to be better for himself but also for the team. If ever there is the remote chance a miracle trade were to happen, Lucic has to be better. So sticking him on the 3rd or 4th line, stripping his PP time or healthy scratching him like I have seen on this site or others, doesn't help with any of that. They have to try to get him back to his old 20 goal 50 pt form. When it comes to Leon and his line. He's the center, he likes to have the puck on his stick, he likes to carry the puck. If he's not playing well, I don't care who's on his line. It won't work.

Re: Oilers pre-season game at Cologne, Germany 10/3/18 [message #719493 is a reply to message #719490 ]
Wed, 03 October 2018 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 03 October 2018 14:27

Yes I played hockey and yes I know that your linemates help you.I am not saying Lucic isn't perfect what so ever. I know his contract sucks. I know it's too long, I know he makes too much money. I know in all likelihood he will decline. Chia sucks,McLellan sucks, the Oilers organization sucks,Kazr sucks, blah, blah, blah. I know all of this, I don't need to hear it for the 500th time. But at the end of the day, Lucic is here. Lucic needs to be better. He needs to be better for himself but also for the team. If ever there is the remote chance a miracle trade were to happen, Lucic has to be better. So sticking him on the 3rd or 4th line, stripping his PP time or healthy scratching him like I have seen on this site or others, doesn't help with any of that. They have to try to get him back to his old 20 goal 50 pt form. When it comes to Leon and his line. He's the center, he likes to have the puck on his stick, he likes to carry the puck. If he's not playing well, I don't care who's on his line. It won't work.

You talk about a lot of things in that post that aren't really being discussed here.

The discussion was Draisaitl and the impact his linemates have on him. It doesn't matter what Lucic's contract is - if he isn't the best person for the second line, then he has to move down the lineup.

It would be great to get him back to 50 point form, but there's a chance he never gets there, and I don't want to harm the second line and the team's chances of making the playoffs by sticking with something that isn't working.

Same goes for PP with Lucic. If he's not scoring points, get him off there and put on someone who does.

And with a center who likes to have the puck on his stick, you still need players to get him the puck on the stick, and then to get open for passes once he gains the zone.

Re: Oilers pre-season game at Cologne, Germany 10/3/18 [message #719496 is a reply to message #719493 ]
Wed, 03 October 2018 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 03 October 2018 14:41

You talk about a lot of things in that post that aren't really being discussed here.

The discussion was Draisaitl and the impact his linemates have on him. It doesn't matter what Lucic's contract is - if he isn't the best person for the second line, then he has to move down the lineup.

It would be great to get him back to 50 point form, but there's a chance he never gets there, and I don't want to harm the second line and the team's chances of making the playoffs by sticking with something that isn't working.

Same goes for PP with Lucic. If he's not scoring points, get him off there and put on someone who does.

And with a center who likes to have the puck on his stick, you still need players to get him the puck on the stick, and then to get open for passes once he gains the zone.

Doesn't every conversation regarding the Oilers or other teams all circle back to Chia sucking, McLellan sucking and Lucic and his contract being terrible? I have been posting here for a few years now and that's pretty much how if goes. A thread can start up about another team signing a player and inevitably someone like yourself will mention Chia and how he sucks and his negotiating skills suck, etc, etc. So I just figured that's what you do now.

Re: Oilers pre-season game at Cologne, Germany 10/3/18 [message #719498 is a reply to message #719496 ]
Wed, 03 October 2018 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 03 October 2018 15:05

Doesn't every conversation regarding the Oilers or other teams all circle back to Chia sucking, McLellan sucking and Lucic and his contract being terrible? I have been posting here for a few years now and that's pretty much how if goes. A thread can start up about another team signing a player and inevitably someone like yourself will mention Chia and how he sucks and his negotiating skills suck, etc, etc. So I just figured that's what you do now.

So, you're just conceding the point about Lucic then? Because this doesn't seem a productive line of debate.

Re: Oilers pre-season game at Cologne, Germany 10/3/18 [message #719499 is a reply to message #719498 ]
Wed, 03 October 2018 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 03 October 2018 15:07

So, you're just conceding the point about Lucic then? Because this doesn't seem a productive line of debate.

No I am not conceding the point about Lucic. I think all the talk in the various fan sites about Lucic on the 3rd or 4th line or healthy scratching him after 1 down season is stupid. I do not think they should stick with him on the second line no matter what but to start, he should be there in my opinion. If you demote him to the 3rd line right off the start, you lose the guy. That would be complete stupidity in my opinion.

Re: Oilers pre-season game at Cologne, Germany 10/3/18 [message #719504 is a reply to message #719499 ]
Wed, 03 October 2018 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 03 October 2018 15:15

No I am not conceding the point about Lucic. I think all the talk in the various fan sites about Lucic on the 3rd or 4th line or healthy scratching him after 1 down season is stupid. I do not think they should stick with him on the second line no matter what but to start, he should be there in my opinion. If you demote him to the 3rd line right off the start, you lose the guy. That would be complete stupidity in my opinion.

Why is it "losing the guy" to start Lucic on the third line, and not with, Strome or Puljujarvi?

If the argument for Puljujarvi being on the third line is to give him easier match-ups and to gain confidence playing out of that role, then why would it be different if it was Lucic? He probably needs confidence, after all.

For that matter, why does he need to be on the first powerplay unit? That unit has struggled to produce with him on it, and other than his first year in Edmonton, he has never been an effective PP player. If you need the PP going, why wouldn't you put someone else there?

I think that question is even more relevant considering how poor a net-front player Lucic is. He very, VERY rarely gets sticks on shots for tips. He has not shown himself to be good at finding rebounds off goalies in front of the net. Basically, all he is is a screen, which any number of other players could provide - while possibly doing the other things that a good net-front player does (tips, rebounds, puck retrieval behind or beside the net, tap-ins).

It would be great if there's a market for Milan Lucic and we could deal him and his contract away, but at what point are you hurting your team if you keep trying to smash that square peg in the round hole?

Re: Oilers pre-season game at Cologne, Germany 10/3/18 [message #719511 is a reply to message #719504 ]
Wed, 03 October 2018 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 03 October 2018 15:33

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 03 October 2018 15:15

Why is it "losing the guy" to start Lucic on the third line, and not with, Strome or Puljujarvi?

If the argument for Puljujarvi being on the third line is to give him easier match-ups and to gain confidence playing out of that role, then why would it be different if it was Lucic? He probably needs confidence, after all.

For that matter, why does he need to be on the first powerplay unit? That unit has struggled to produce with him on it, and other than his first year in Edmonton, he has never been an effective PP player. If you need the PP going, why wouldn't you put someone else there?

I think that question is even more relevant considering how poor a net-front player Lucic is. He very, VERY rarely gets sticks on shots for tips. He has not shown himself to be good at finding rebounds off goalies in front of the net. Basically, all he is is a screen, which any number of other players could provide - while possibly doing the other things that a good net-front player does (tips, rebounds, puck retrieval behind or beside the net, tap-ins).

It would be great if there's a market for Milan Lucic and we could deal him and his contract away, but at what point are you hurting your team if you keep trying to smash that square peg in the round hole?

Adam. Let's just put aside your hatred for Lucic and the Oilers for a second and discuss this logically and in the real world. This is the NHL. Rightly or wrongly, when you are a vet you get certain things and you get the benefit of the doubt. This especially is true when you are a higher paid vet who has a reasonable pedigree in the league. Taking your dislike for Lucic and the Oilers out of the equation, Lucic is a vet who has a long history of being a reasonably effective top 6 forward. I am not making this up and I assume even you would agree that even though you don't like the contract, what I said is true. Lucic had a crap year last year. Let's be blunt here, he sucked. The year before that, he had 23 goals and 50 pts. That is second line numbers. I am not making excuses for Lucic, he sucked last year. But he isn't the first player in the NHL to have a crap year and he won't be the last. When a guy with a track record of being a top 6 guy has a down year, they pretty much ALWAYS get the opportunity to try to recapture their form. This isn't an Oiler thing, it happens on every single team. So I don't know what this doesn't apply to Lucic and the Oilers. It doesn't make it necessarily right but you dump a vet player with years of good play down on the 3rd line immediately. It doesn't happen, you give him the chance to prove himself. Now I am not saying they keep him there for the whole year, but he has earned the right to at least have the chance. It's just the way it is.

Re: Oilers pre-season game at Cologne, Germany 10/3/18 [message #719517 is a reply to message #719511 ]
Wed, 03 October 2018 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 03 October 2018 15:56

Adam. Let's just put aside your hatred for Lucic and the Oilers for a second and discuss this logically and in the real world. This is the NHL. Rightly or wrongly, when you are a vet you get certain things and you get the benefit of the doubt. This especially is true when you are a higher paid vet who has a reasonable pedigree in the league. Taking your dislike for Lucic and the Oilers out of the equation, Lucic is a vet who has a long history of being a reasonably effective top 6 forward. I am not making this up and I assume even you would agree that even though you don't like the contract, what I said is true. Lucic had a crap year last year. Let's be blunt here, he sucked. The year before that, he had 23 goals and 50 pts. That is second line numbers. I am not making excuses for Lucic, he sucked last year. But he isn't the first player in the NHL to have a crap year and he won't be the last. When a guy with a track record of being a top 6 guy has a down year, they pretty much ALWAYS get the opportunity to try to recapture their form. This isn't an Oiler thing, it happens on every single team. So I don't know what this doesn't apply to Lucic and the Oilers. It doesn't make it necessarily right but you dump a vet player with years of good play down on the 3rd line immediately. It doesn't happen, you give him the chance to prove himself. Now I am not saying they keep him there for the whole year, but he has earned the right to at least have the chance. It's just the way it is.

SIGH. The hyperbole grows tired. Clearly, I do not hate the Oilers, given that I spend a lot of my life posting on an Oilers board. I would like the team to be the best it can be - and sadly, I seem to better understand the route to that than Oilers management.

It is interesting that your opinion of Eberle with a down year and Lucic with a down year is so different. Especially given that Eberle's came in his mid-20s, and with quick demotions down the lineup, while Lucic was firmly wedged on to PP1 and the first line despite his struggles.

I have been extremely logical in this thread to now. I welcome debate on a logical basis. So let's examine this:

McLellan makes his fair share of mistakes with player deployment, but I don't think starting Lucic with Draisaitl was one of them. Obviously, it would be better if that player produces, especially given that he requested a trade, but has a low value around the league at the moment. As I said this summer - the Oilers cannot continue trading players at their lowest value, as that is not sustainable. They need to get what they can out of Lucic - both in terms of offence and in return should they trade him. He is of the player-type that some old school GM may just make a bad trade to get him if the circumstances are right.

That said, the Oilers cannot afford to wait for players. If the chemistry isn't there - and it doesn't appear to be, despite keeping that pairing for all of training camp and pre-season - then the team needs to shift. I don't think teams should be concerned about egos of veterans or privileges of experience, especially for a player who they DID give significant preferential treatment to through an extremely poor season last year. The second line needs to be effective. The powerplay needs to be effective. If Lucic isn't producing, then the rope needs to be VERY short.

I think the Oilers have given Lucic plenty of chances - I'd argue that they gave him way more than he deserved last year. If I was the coach, there's no chance I don't change that line going in to the regular season, based on the complete lack of chemistry shown over about a three-week period now. This is a coach who demoted Ryan Strome from the first line after a single exhibition game, and who's shown no patience at all with many players - Eberle, Schultz, Pouliot, Yakupov, Puljujarvi...even Hall/McDavid only got a couple games. There is absolutely no excuse for keeping Lucic in the top six if he isn't performing.

Re: Oilers pre-season game at Cologne, Germany 10/3/18 [message #719582 is a reply to message #719517 ]
Thu, 04 October 2018 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 03 October 2018 16:54

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 03 October 2018 15:56

SIGH. The hyperbole grows tired. Clearly, I do not hate the Oilers, given that I spend a lot of my life posting on an Oilers board. I would like the team to be the best it can be - and sadly, I seem to better understand the route to that than Oilers management.

It is interesting that your opinion of Eberle with a down year and Lucic with a down year is so different. Especially given that Eberle's came in his mid-20s, and with quick demotions down the lineup, while Lucic was firmly wedged on to PP1 and the first line despite his struggles.

I have been extremely logical in this thread to now. I welcome debate on a logical basis. So let's examine this:

McLellan makes his fair share of mistakes with player deployment, but I don't think starting Lucic with Draisaitl was one of them. Obviously, it would be better if that player produces, especially given that he requested a trade, but has a low value around the league at the moment. As I said this summer - the Oilers cannot continue trading players at their lowest value, as that is not sustainable. They need to get what they can out of Lucic - both in terms of offence and in return should they trade him. He is of the player-type that some old school GM may just make a bad trade to get him if the circumstances are right.

That said, the Oilers cannot afford to wait for players. If the chemistry isn't there - and it doesn't appear to be, despite keeping that pairing for all of training camp and pre-season - then the team needs to shift. I don't think teams should be concerned about egos of veterans or privileges of experience, especially for a player who they DID give significant preferential treatment to through an extremely poor season last year. The second line needs to be effective. The powerplay needs to be effective. If Lucic isn't producing, then the rope needs to be VERY short.

I think the Oilers have given Lucic plenty of chances - I'd argue that they gave him way more than he deserved last year. If I was the coach, there's no chance I don't change that line going in to the regular season, based on the complete lack of chemistry shown over about a three-week period now. This is a coach who demoted Ryan Strome from the first line after a single exhibition game, and who's shown no patience at all with many players - Eberle, Schultz, Pouliot, Yakupov, Puljujarvi...even Hall/McDavid only got a couple games. There is absolutely no excuse for keeping Lucic in the top six if he isn't performing.

Never ever once did I say that if Eberle was to come back to the Oilers after his down year, he should be drop down the lines to the 3rd line to start the next season. NEVER. If he came back, he deserved the benefit of the doubt to start the year in the top 6. So I don't know what your are talking about. NO different that Lucic, Eberle had a history of producing at a top 6 level. So going into the next season, if Eberle was still an Oiler, putting him on the 3rd line to start the season because of 1 down year would have been a stupid decision in my opinion. Now if he continued to struggle, then you look at making the change.

To your comment about the chemistry not being there is based on what? How many games did they play together, was it 4 preseason games? Everyone in here is tempering the Oilers preseason saying not to read into it much, it's not real games, most players aren't going full speed, any success they have doesn't really mean anything but because it's Lucic, all of a sudden that doesn't apply in your opinion? Leon himself said he is a brutal preseason guy. I don't see Lucic being the type to be running around like a maniac in preseason. So if we are all supposed to take the Oilers preaseason success with a grain of salt, why doesn't it apply to "chemistry" between Lucic and Drai when the players themselves admit they aren't going full speed?

[Updated on: Thu, 04 October 2018 13:37]

Re: Oilers pre-season game at Cologne, Germany 10/3/18 [message #719503 is a reply to message #719496 ]
Wed, 03 October 2018 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne is currently online PlusOne

1 Cup

My opinion is that the truth is somewhere in the middle;
- LD needs to be better. He has mentioned it during this preseason. To that point I think RDOF is correct to an extent.
- the effect of linemates is more than the plays they make. For a C that has a bad winger your mentality changes. You second guess leaving the D zone, passing that player the puck when you expect them to cough it up, etc. To that end Adam has a point.

In the end I dont think there is blame on one player. That ENTIRE line showed very little during the preseason to give me confidence. Lucic is what he is but I hope they can find some chemistry to at least be productive in a positive fashion more often than not.

If not, McDavid and the first line may be playing 30 mins a game this year.

#CarpeDiem4Life
#GlassHalfFull

Seasons without a terrible signing or trade counter= 1 (July 1, 2018 to present)

Re: Oilers pre-season game at Cologne, Germany 10/3/18 [message #719522 is a reply to message #719496 ]
Wed, 03 October 2018 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Whoa, chill a bit RD.

Yes Leon wears a lot of the second line's performance, everyone can see that. I just don't think he can drive the bus on that line without a little help. My guess is if the 2nd line trend continues, prior to something happening where Leon is no longer centering the second line, Lucic will move off 2LW and someone else in the lineup will be playing there. Just a guess, but I think it might be an accurate one. Lucic will be given opportunity to succeed on the 2nd line, but how long is anyone's guess. Some believe he shouldn't be there right now.

Regarding bringing up complaints about management and coaching, and there's been little mention of that in this topic so far outside of your comments....there's been plenty of suck all around and everyone knows it. If you're looking, after 12 years of Oiler suck with the exception of one year, for a cone of silence.....by that I mean little mention of players consistently not delivering (whipping boys....one of my go-to's by the way, Ebs was my last one), or little criticism of perennial questionable management or coaching (might be Adam's go-to), you're looking in the wrong place. Yes there are degrees of negativity, but good grief, these are the Oilers in their double digit rebuild, and this is a fan board. I would think you would expect persistent theories in terms of what got the team here, and why they may or may not be turning a corner when the world's best player is captain of the team. Things we say that may annoy each other are part of it.

Re: Oilers pre-season game at Cologne, Germany 10/3/18 [message #719525 is a reply to message #719496 ]
Wed, 03 October 2018 17:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

2 Cups

You're totally right, that does happen a lot. But what happens even more, is you say unfounded or illogical things, then you get some relatively polite opposing comments, then when you can't adequately argue your nonsensical points (or they just can't be argued because they defy logic) you have a pity party that would make a Grade 4 girl blush.
punch

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Oilers pre-season game at Cologne, Germany 10/3/18 [message #719481 is a reply to message #719475 ]
Wed, 03 October 2018 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

I think if you've read my commentary on LD in his history or even this topic, you'd know that I'm not an excuse maker for Leon. I think what might be overlooked in the dynamics of line combos where Lucic is involved is possession through the neutral zone and creating off the rush, which is where most success LD has had at center 5v5 has come from. The dynamics of Lucic on LW on that line or on any line probably aren't as conducive to that style, as we've seen. If this continues, Lucic will move down the lineup, whatever the optics of that are, doesn't matter. I just want a 2nd line centered by LD to gel.

You have 2 centers in the top 6 that want to create starting with going through the neutral zone and entering the zone with possession. One can do it on his own pretty much with his sheer speed with the puck a huge factor, and the other needs reliable pass options from time to time. The pass has to be made, and the receiver has to be open and reliably accept the pass and carry on the play. We've seen a lot of plays dying for the 2nd line in preseason, some of it is on Leon, some on linemates.

Of course much of this is on Leon, he's compensated like a 1C on most other teams, there are expectations. The frustrating thing is that we've seen what his capabilities are, but the consistency of delivery on those capabilities leaves a person wanting. In fairness, his shift comes right after Connor's, so there's going to be a stark contrast there that you'd see not only from LD but from the vast majority of 1C's in the league if they were in the same spot. On the other hand, level of competition should allow for some opportunities.

The Oilers need a 5x5 threat from their 2nd line. I would love to see that line click. We want to see a confident Draisaitl going about his business to a 75-85 point season. Milan Lucic playing well would be a positive for the Oilers in terms of their game results and it's a positive in terms of the value of Milan Lucic in the league.

Re: Oilers pre-season game at Cologne, Germany 10/3/18 [message #719512 is a reply to message #719481 ]
Wed, 03 October 2018 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Wed, 03 October 2018 12:55

I think if you've read my commentary on LD in his history or even this topic, you'd know that I'm not an excuse maker for Leon. I think what might be overlooked in the dynamics of line combos where Lucic is involved is possession through the neutral zone and creating off the rush, which is where most success LD has had at center 5v5 has come from. The dynamics of Lucic on LW on that line or on any line probably aren't as conducive to that style, as we've seen. If this continues, Lucic will move down the lineup, whatever the optics of that are, doesn't matter. I just want a 2nd line centered by LD to gel.

You have 2 centers in the top 6 that want to create starting with going through the neutral zone and entering the zone with possession. One can do it on his own pretty much with his sheer speed with the puck a huge factor, and the other needs reliable pass options from time to time. The pass has to be made, and the receiver has to be open and reliably accept the pass and carry on the play. We've seen a lot of plays dying for the 2nd line in preseason, some of it is on Leon, some on linemates.

Of course much of this is on Leon, he's compensated like a 1C on most other teams, there are expectations. The frustrating thing is that we've seen what his capabilities are, but the consistency of delivery on those capabilities leaves a person wanting. In fairness, his shift comes right after Connor's, so there's going to be a stark contrast there that you'd see not only from LD but from the vast majority of 1C's in the league if they were in the same spot. On the other hand, level of competition should allow for some opportunities.

The Oilers need a 5x5 threat from their 2nd line. I would love to see that line click. We want to see a confident Draisaitl going about his business to a 75-85 point season. Milan Lucic playing well would be a positive for the Oilers in terms of their game results and it's a positive in terms of the value of Milan Lucic in the league.

From my perspective, if Leon was playing well, solid in his own zone, making good decisions with the puck, hitting his wingers on the tape but his wingers like Lucic aren't converting, then absolutely point the finger at Lucic. But he's not. He's not making good decisions in the defensive zone, he's not making good decisions with the puck. Not properly picking up your man and doing fly byes in your own zone, has nothing to do with your wingers, that's him deciding to do that. Him carrying the puck and just firing out hope passes that's on him.

Re: Oilers pre-season game at Cologne, Germany 10/3/18 [message #719514 is a reply to message #719512 ]
Wed, 03 October 2018 16:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 03 October 2018 15:09

K.McC#24 wrote on Wed, 03 October 2018 12:55

From my perspective, if Leon was playing well, solid in his own zone, making good decisions with the puck, hitting his wingers on the tape but his wingers like Lucic aren't converting, then absolutely point the finger at Lucic. But he's not. He's not making good decisions in the defensive zone, he's not making good decisions with the puck. Not properly picking up your man and doing fly byes in your own zone, has nothing to do with your wingers, that's him deciding to do that. Him carrying the puck and just firing out hope passes that's on him.

Agree. That's what I've seen in all the pre-season games so far as well. LD has to drive that line, and he's not getting it done, he's way off, he's been much better than that, he's in a major funk. A lot of his problems are he looks indecisive, and stops moving his feet, the failed low-chance "hope passes" are killers. His best asset, slick passing, has abandoned him so far.

[Updated on: Wed, 03 October 2018 16:27]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Oilers pre-season game at Cologne, Germany 10/3/18 [message #719505 is a reply to message #719475 ]
Wed, 03 October 2018 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I don’t blame Lucic for Draisaitls play either.

This is clearly Nurses fault.

Limecat Logic

Re: Oilers pre-season game at Cologne, Germany 10/3/18 [message #719510 is a reply to message #719505 ]
Wed, 03 October 2018 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Wed, 03 October 2018 15:34

I don’t blame Lucic for Draisaitls play either.

This is clearly Nurses fault.

Stupid Russell.

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Opening Rosters
Next Topic:Interview with ex-Oiler Ryan Jones
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2018.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca