Oilers » Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #719408]
Tue, 02 October 2018 16:28 Go to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

Sekera on LTIR, Bear recalled..

Clears way for a trade/aquisition

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/release-oilers-place-sekera- on-injured-reserve-bear-recalled/c-300569238?tid=281885168

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #719423 is a reply to message #719408 ]
Tue, 02 October 2018 18:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

1 Cup

Was only a matter of time. Cap looks a tad better now.

2016: We need to get heavier, and we need a defenseman!

2018: We need to get faster, and we need a defenseman!

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #719427 is a reply to message #719408 ]
Tue, 02 October 2018 20:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Freakin Getzlaf and his late hit. I wonder if Sek's knee had to be repaired with some of his Achilles tendon that ended up weakening it, leading to this injury.

In any case. Fire Chia!

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #719434 is a reply to message #719427 ]
Tue, 02 October 2018 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 02 October 2018 20:42

Freakin Getzlaf and his late hit. I wonder if Sek's knee had to be repaired with some of his Achilles tendon that ended up weakening it, leading to this injury.

In any case. Fire Chia!

I might be willing to cut Chia slack if he could pull off a deal to get a good replacement for Sek. Of course, I ain't holding my breath.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #723365 is a reply to message #719434 ]
Tue, 27 November 2018 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan is currently online GabbyDugan

No Cups

....Sekera has a great attitude...the last thing would be to rush him back, but Weber came back for Montreal earlier than expected....Sekera would even go down to Bakersfield if it would help his rehab....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trwhISdN0Iw

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #723367 is a reply to message #723365 ]
Tue, 27 November 2018 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Quite frankly, if Sekera didn't have a good attitude and wasn't open to a conditioning stint, I would be pretty disappointed as a fan. If I worked in the organization, I would be pretty disappointed and if I was a teammate, I would be pretty disappointed. He had a major knee injury, missed an entire offseason of training, all of camp plus over half the season last year and when he came back to no ones surprise, he sucked and was actually a negative on the ice to the team. He goes out, finally gets healthy, plays at the world champs where he was decent, had almost a full offseason them blows out his achilles. So the guy has barely played, practiced or trained in 2 freaking years. He better go to the minors to play a little bit.

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #723378 is a reply to message #723365 ]
Tue, 27 November 2018 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

2 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Tue, 27 November 2018 12:46

....Sekera has a great attitude...the last thing would be to rush him back, but Weber came back for Montreal earlier than expected....Sekera would even go down to Bakersfield if it would help his rehab....

That's pretty big of him, he's an NHL vet, and doesn't have to go that distance. Glad to hear he will though. Cool guy.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #723382 is a reply to message #723378 ]
Tue, 27 November 2018 17:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

3 Cups

Magnum wrote on Tue, 27 November 2018 15:43

That's pretty big of him, he's an NHL vet, and doesn't have to go that distance. Glad to hear he will though. Cool guy.

At the same time, the Oilers don't need a half-assed recovery for Sekera where he's clearly a liability. We've seen that. He shouldn't come back until he's completely ready.

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #723385 is a reply to message #723382 ]
Tue, 27 November 2018 19:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Tue, 27 November 2018 17:49

At the same time, the Oilers don't need a half-assed recovery for Sekera where he's clearly a liability. We've seen that. He shouldn't come back until he's completely ready.

And then.....just to be sure.....another month. Or two.

Limecat Logic

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #723481 is a reply to message #723378 ]
Wed, 28 November 2018 12:12 Go to previous message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Not really that big a sacrifice. Conditioning stints are an option for players coming off long absences. There’s a time limit on it - he can only be down for two weeks - and he counts as a roster player the full time he’s down so the team has to run with 22 skaters during his time in the AHL.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #723379 is a reply to message #719408 ]
Tue, 27 November 2018 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

1 Cup

It's standard operating procedure for a player returning from long term injury to go to the AHL for a rehab stint, but it has a CBA defined time limit. If they want to keep him down longer, he would have to clear waivers.

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #723465 is a reply to message #723379 ]
Wed, 28 November 2018 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ziltoid  is currently offline ziltoid

No Cups

NetBOG wrote on Tue, 27 November 2018 15:50

It's standard operating procedure for a player returning from long term injury to go to the AHL for a rehab stint, but it has a CBA defined time limit. If they want to keep him down longer, he would have to clear waivers.

Could that be a loophole to get out of his NMC? Healthy, Sekera is a top 4 guy, but he's barely played hockey the past 1.5 seasons... with his age and injuries, I would try everything in my power to cut bait asap. Maybe make a backroom deal with a team saying if the pick him up off waivers we will overpay on a trade with them?

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #723466 is a reply to message #723465 ]
Wed, 28 November 2018 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

1 Cup

The Oilers need NHL d men. If Sek can get back up to speed and fill a 3rd pair roll, that will go a long way to any potential playoff push this team might have. A lot of if's there, but man we could sure use another experienced D man. Glass half full?

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #723468 is a reply to message #723466 ]
Wed, 28 November 2018 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Sekera was a good D-man, but I don't like the odds of him bouncing back, and Sekera at 75% puts him on the 3rd pairing with a 5.5MM cap hit and NMC for 2 more years when we are already up against the cap... and that does not even begin to factor in the potentially having to protect him in an expansion draft. If there's a buyer, I say sell. If we are in contention at the deadline, make a trade for a 3 pairing guy with a better contract.

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #723470 is a reply to message #723468 ]
Wed, 28 November 2018 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

ziltoid wrote on Wed, 28 November 2018 10:25

Sekera was a good D-man, but I don't like the odds of him bouncing back, and Sekera at 75% puts him on the 3rd pairing with a 5.5MM cap hit and NMC for 2 more years when we are already up against the cap... and that does not even begin to factor in the potentially having to protect him in an expansion draft. If there's a buyer, I say sell. If we are in contention at the deadline, make a trade for a 3 pairing guy with a better contract.

His string of injuries is scream "Ryan Whitney" to me. I hope he proves me wrong, but I think Sek's remaining time in the NHL is limited.

Peter Chiarelli, General Disappointment.

Drink wine, fall faster, and fly. Fly, baby, fly.

Re: Sekera (Officially) put on LTIR [message #723477 is a reply to message #723470 ]
Wed, 28 November 2018 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 28 November 2018 11:03

ziltoid wrote on Wed, 28 November 2018 10:25

His string of injuries is scream "Ryan Whitney" to me. I hope he proves me wrong, but I think Sek's remaining time in the NHL is limited.

Agreed, though 2 years and a NMC means things could get ugly if he tries to play out his contract. Doubt he'd retire and walk away from 11MM; also doubt he'd go the Ference route and stay on the LTIR. Maybe Fayne 2.0, riding out his deal in the minors, hoping to get another contract at the end of it? I can't recall of any 30+ year olds that got sent down and resurrected their career afterwards.

Previous Topic:Review: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #24)
Next Topic:GDT: Dallas @ Edmonton (Game #24)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2018.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca