This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan BouchardPages (3): [1  2  3  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #716087]
Fri, 22 June 2018 18:43 Go to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

FINAL RANK: 4 MIDTERM RANK: 5
POSITION: Defenseman SHOOTS: Right
HEIGHT: 6' 2" WEIGHT: 196
BORN: October 20, 1999 HOMETOWN: Burlington, Ont.
BORN IN: Oakville, ON, CAN

STATISTICS

SEASON TEAM LEAGUE GP G A P PIM
2017-2018 LONDON OHL 67 25 62 87 54
2016-2017 LONDON OHL 68 11 33 44 24
2016-2017 CAN U18 (IVAN HLINKA MEMORIAL 2016) ITLTOUR 4 0 0 0 0
2015-2016 LONDON OHL 43 2 15 17 24

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #716088 is a reply to message #716087 ]
Fri, 22 June 2018 18:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

Never thought he'd be available at 10. Love it.

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #716099 is a reply to message #716088 ]
Fri, 22 June 2018 20:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

Pumped about the pick. A little iffy on foot speed and we've been burned by skating in the past (most recently Reinhart, however I don't think he's nearly as much of a plodder).

Really looking forward to what this dude can do on our blue.

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #716089 is a reply to message #716087 ]
Fri, 22 June 2018 18:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Nice to get one of the good RHD.

Holy crap Flames. Missed out BIG TIME. Dobson and Wahlstrom on the board for when they would pick.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #716100 is a reply to message #716089 ]
Fri, 22 June 2018 20:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Did you celebrate your 10K threshold, Kr? You should have. That's a hell of an achievement.

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #716102 is a reply to message #716100 ]
Fri, 22 June 2018 20:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

HamBlaster wrote on Fri, 22 June 2018 20:24

Did you celebrate your 10K threshold, Kr? You should have. That's a hell of an achievement.

hehe, I think I cracked it some time back, then there was a purge of messages. Which seemed to include some very busy times by Adam which vaulted me past him.

Is it good or bad...I'm sure there are some where I work that would say bad bad bad icon_wink

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #716091 is a reply to message #716087 ]
Fri, 22 June 2018 18:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Sure glad we are keeping all these 1st round picks. We should be very competitive for a wild card spot when McDavid is 30.

Clean house or bust

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #716093 is a reply to message #716091 ]
Fri, 22 June 2018 18:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Fri, 22 June 2018 18:49

We should be very competitive for a wild card spot when McDavid is 30.

and when he's 22
and when he's 23
and when he's 24
and when he's 25
and when he's 26
and when he's 27
and when he's 28
and when he's 29
and when he's 31
and when he's 32

That's the point.

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #716103 is a reply to message #716093 ]
Fri, 22 June 2018 20:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Are you confident that this roster can make the playoffs in McDavid's upcoming age 21-22 season without significant additions? We have to start adding, not waiting for Nurse and Puljuljarvi and Yamamoto and Bouchard and Bear etc. to fulfill their imaginary potential. A reminder that McDavid has missed the playoffs more than Sidney Crosby.

If a deal was not there, it was not there. Either way, I am not happy that for the past 3 drafts we have kept all of our first round picks.

Clean house or bust

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #716168 is a reply to message #716103 ]
Sun, 24 June 2018 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mazankowski  is currently offline mazankowski

No Cups

smyth260 wrote on Fri, 22 June 2018 19:38

Are you confident that this roster can make the playoffs in McDavid's upcoming age 21-22 season without significant additions? We have to start adding, not waiting for Nurse and Puljuljarvi and Yamamoto and Bouchard and Bear etc. to fulfill their imaginary potential. A reminder that McDavid has missed the playoffs more than Sidney Crosby.

If a deal was not there, it was not there. Either way, I am not happy that for the past 3 drafts we have kept all of our first round picks.

I don't agree with your position here. 1st round picks in the NHL have become so valuable that nobody is trading them. Anyone that does usually ends up getting burned (Reinhardt deal, Hamonic, likely the Duchene trade, etc.), because what has been proven is you need cheap ELC contracts on your roster in order to be successful. The real issue we have had is that we don't understand term when signing any players who aren't within the core. Would you love to have Lucic, Russell or Sekera? Of course, but you want them for 2-3 seasons, not 4+, but that's an entirely different topic.

I think you need to value any 1st round pick, unless it's 15th or later. Teams like Pittsburgh can afford to deal their 1st rounders because they're always 20th or later and they obtain great college players.

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #716169 is a reply to message #716168 ]
Sun, 24 June 2018 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

mazankowski wrote on Sun, 24 June 2018 07:52

I don't agree with your position here. 1st round picks in the NHL have become so valuable that nobody is trading them. Anyone that does usually ends up getting burned (Reinhardt deal, Hamonic, likely the Duchene trade, etc.), because what has been proven is you need cheap ELC contracts on your roster in order to be successful. The real issue we have had is that we don't understand term when signing any players who aren't within the core. Would you love to have Lucic, Russell or Sekera? Of course, but you want them for 2-3 seasons, not 4+, but that's an entirely different topic.

I think you need to value any 1st round pick, unless it's 15th or later. Teams like Pittsburgh can afford to deal their 1st rounders because they're always 20th or later and they obtain great college players.

We were drafting 22nd in 2017. It would have been a great time to bulk up for an upcoming playoff run while challenging for a division title. But we got David Desharnais and only one playoff series win to show for it. At what point have we stocked too many picks? I am pretty tired of keeping our picks and not winning anything. We can't wait forever.

The year of the Puljuljarvi draft, he was set to join a team boasting these first rounders. Hall (1), Nugent-Hopkins (1), Yakupov (1), McDavid (1), Draisaitl (3rd overall), Nurse (7th overall), Eberle (22nd overall), and Klefbom (19th overall). I think at that point, we have overkilled on stocking up on picks and young players and the 4th overall should have been traded away to help the upcoming year. We hadn't made the playoffs yet, we had lots of great young players and cap space because McDavid and Draisaitl were on ELCs. That screams OPEN WINDOW to me. But we keep Puljularvi. We make the playoffs that year, fill no holes at the deadline, and only win one series. Puljuljarvi makes zero contribution to the cup quest (playing in the minors), and is worth a lot less now than he was the minute before he was drafted. Missed opportunity. But hey, Puljuljarvi may develop into a 50 point winger....worth the wait?

We can't wait for Evan Bouchard to develop into the D we need before we start thinking about a serious run. If we miss the playoffs again with McDavid, the best player in the world, we are just wasting opportunities year after year. And this roster is the same, full of holes. Trading the 10th overall is one of the few ways I saw as a way to add something without giving up a significant roster player. You mention the importance of ELCs? Well the Oilers had golden opportunities to win while Hall, Eberle, Nuge, McDavid, Draisaitl were cheap on ELC deals. But instead of surrounding them with help during those times, we kept drafting and making bad bets elsewhere. We have wasted a lot of ELC's in part because of this lack of urgency. The best chance to win a cup was in McDavid's ELC. But we kept all of our own first round picks, made a lot of other bad choices, and missed the playoffs twice.

I still support the idea of trading the 16th overall that was Barzal. I just wish it was for someone that would have helped us in the next 3 years of McDavid's golden ELC as opposed to Reinhart. But that is another issue...

[Updated on: Sun, 24 June 2018 12:34]

Clean house or bust

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #716170 is a reply to message #716169 ]
Sun, 24 June 2018 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

#firechia

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #716171 is a reply to message #716169 ]
Sun, 24 June 2018 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Sun, 24 June 2018 11:46

We were drafting 22nd in 2017. It would have been a great time to bulk up for an upcoming playoff run while challenging for a division title. But we got David Desharnais and only one playoff series win to show for it. At what point have we stocked too many picks? I am pretty tired of keeping our picks and not winning anything. We can't wait forever.

The year of the Puljuljarvi draft, he was set to join a team boasting these first rounders. Hall (1), Nugent-Hopkins (1), Yakupov (1), McDavid (1), Draisaitl (3rd overall), Nurse (7th overall), Eberle (22nd overall), and Klefbom (19th overall). I think at that point, we have overkilled on stocking up on picks and young players and the 4th overall should have been traded away to help the upcoming year. We hadn't made the playoffs yet, we had lots of great young players and cap space because McDavid and Draisaitl were on ELCs. That screams OPEN WINDOW to me. But we keep Puljularvi. We make the playoffs that year, fill no holes at the deadline, and only win one series. Puljuljarvi makes zero contribution to the cup quest (playing in the minors), and is worth a lot less now than he was the minute before he was drafted. Missed opportunity. But hey, Puljuljarvi may develop into a 50 point winger....worth the wait?

We can't wait for Evan Bouchard to develop into the D we need before we start thinking about a serious run. If we miss the playoffs again with McDavid, the best player in the world, we are just wasting opportunities year after year. And this roster is the same, full of holes. Trading the 10th overall is one of the few ways I saw as a way to add something without giving up a significant roster player. You mention the importance of ELCs? Well the Oilers had golden opportunities to win while Hall, Eberle, Nuge, McDavid, Draisaitl but instead of them with help during those times, we kept drafting and making bad bets elsewhere. We have wasted a lot of ELC's in part because of this lack of urgency. The best chance to win a cup was in McDavid's ELC. But we kept all of our own first round picks, made a lot of other bad choices, and missed the playoffs twice.

I still support the idea of trading the 16th overall that was Barzal. I just wish it was for someone that would have helped us in the next 3 years of McDavid's golden ELC as opposed to Reinhart. But that is another issue...

Agreed and cosign. Fantastic post. The years and opportunity the Oilers have flat out wasted are appalling.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #716172 is a reply to message #716171 ]
Sun, 24 June 2018 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Sun, 24 June 2018 12:23

smyth260 wrote on Sun, 24 June 2018 11:46

We can't wait for Evan Bouchard to develop into the D we need before we start thinking about a serious run. If we miss the playoffs again with McDavid, the best player in the world, we are just wasting opportunities year after year. And this roster is the same, full of holes. Trading the 10th overall is one of the few ways I saw as a way to add something without giving up a significant roster player. You mention the importance of ELCs? Well the Oilers had golden opportunities to win while Hall, Eberle, Nuge, McDavid, Draisaitl but instead of them with help during those times, we kept drafting and making bad bets elsewhere. We have wasted a lot of ELC's in part because of this lack of urgency. The best chance to win a cup was in McDavid's ELC. But we kept all of our own first round picks, made a lot of other bad choices, and missed the playoffs twice.

Agreed and cosign. Fantastic post. The years and opportunity the Oilers have flat out wasted are appalling.

Just relax. Kick up your feet and watch "The Plan" play itself out.

"The Plan" is clearly to bulk up on prospects and have waves of new effective and cheap guys stepping in every 4-5 years. We may not win a cup this year, or the next, or the one after that. After that however, "The Plan" will create a consistent contender from there on out. Or maybe it won't, but at least we saw "The Plan" through, and that is what matters most.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #716092 is a reply to message #716087 ]
Fri, 22 June 2018 18:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Did they just say he AVERAGED 34 mins a night? WOW
I didn't think we would have a crack at one of the top RHD. I also believe he said he was the first D over 80 points in the ?(CHL, OHL) in over ten years.

Honestly dont know much about him outside of the basics but I am happy based on initial media reactions, tweets, etc.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #716097 is a reply to message #716092 ]
Fri, 22 June 2018 19:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Fri, 22 June 2018 18:53

I didn't think we would have a crack at one of the top RHD. I also believe he said he was the first D over 80 points in the ?(CHL, OHL) in over ten years.

Honestly dont know much about him outside of the basics but I am happy based on initial media reactions, tweets, etc.

I know Dobson got a lot of hype, but this could end up being a Drai vs Bennett kind of situation. Bouchard just destroyed the OHL, captaining his team at 18, scoring 33 more points than the next closest guy on his team Seems people just got bored of seeing him do it, while Dobson was climbing the ladder and making people hyped about his potential.

Honestly surprised the Oilers didn’t take the guy that was on the stacked mem cup winning team.

[Updated on: Fri, 22 June 2018 20:23]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #716098 is a reply to message #716097 ]
Fri, 22 June 2018 20:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

You mean Bouchard... right?

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #716101 is a reply to message #716098 ]
Fri, 22 June 2018 20:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

HamBlaster wrote on Fri, 22 June 2018 20:20

You mean Bouchard... right?

Yes :) fixed

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #716183 is a reply to message #716097 ]
Mon, 25 June 2018 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 22 June 2018 19:59

PlusOne wrote on Fri, 22 June 2018 18:53

I know Dobson got a lot of hype, but this could end up being a Drai vs Bennett kind of situation. Bouchard just destroyed the OHL, captaining his team at 18, scoring 33 more points than the next closest guy on his team Seems people just got bored of seeing him do it, while Dobson was climbing the ladder and making people hyped about his potential.

Honestly surprised the Oilers didn’t take the guy that was on the stacked mem cup winning team.

I was in complete shock the draft turned out as multiple teams went off the board. I was absolutely stoked the Oilers got Bouchard, he is the guy I wanted. He checks off every single box they need. I was disappointed to see some Oilers fans picking apart his skating but it's not surprising as some have to find something wrong with anything Oilers related. I looked at multiple scouting reports from different scouting agencies and they all said he was a good skater. Not elite but a good skater and quite frankly, if you are averaging almost 35 mins a night and if you are leading your team in scoring by 33 pts, you can't be a lousy skater. If anything, he was probably holding back on his skating to conserve energy because he literally plays over half the game.

I am glad they didn't pick Dobson strictly because I am always weary about late rising guys. Dobson shot up the rankings in the last month or 2 mostly because of his playoffs and Mem Cup. I am sure he will be good but how much of that was a player just going on a heater? Hard to say.

I couldn't be happier and even though he is young, it will back off the Oilers from going after a big name right shot guy and paying dearly for it.

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #716185 is a reply to message #716183 ]
Mon, 25 June 2018 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 25 June 2018 08:22

I was in complete shock the draft turned out as multiple teams went off the board. I was absolutely stoked the Oilers got Bouchard, he is the guy I wanted. He checks off every single box they need. I was disappointed to see some Oilers fans picking apart his skating but it's not surprising as some have to find something wrong with anything Oilers related. I looked at multiple scouting reports from different scouting agencies and they all said he was a good skater. Not elite but a good skater and quite frankly, if you are averaging almost 35 mins a night and if you are leading your team in scoring by 33 pts, you can't be a lousy skater. If anything, he was probably holding back on his skating to conserve energy because he literally plays over half the game.

I am glad they didn't pick Dobson strictly because I am always weary about late rising guys. Dobson shot up the rankings in the last month or 2 mostly because of his playoffs and Mem Cup. I am sure he will be good but how much of that was a player just going on a heater? Hard to say.

I couldn't be happier and even though he is young, it will back off the Oilers from going after a big name right shot guy and paying dearly for it.

I wouldn't put much stock in what fans think of a prospect's skating. Chances are good that most of those commenting have little idea and skating is something where many fans are wrong even on pros. You'll see people criticizing someone like Mats Sundin on his skating, because he's big, takes long strides and it looks effortless...they don't realize he's moving very quickly, just that he's not churning his feet.

Phenomenal numbers for a defenceman from Bouchard. Guy led his team in scoring by a country mile. Here's hoping he blossoms in to exactly what we need.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #716189 is a reply to message #716185 ]
Mon, 25 June 2018 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 25 June 2018 08:27

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 25 June 2018 08:22

I wouldn't put much stock in what fans think of a prospect's skating. Chances are good that most of those commenting have little idea and skating is something where many fans are wrong even on pros. You'll see people criticizing someone like Mats Sundin on his skating, because he's big, takes long strides and it looks effortless...they don't realize he's moving very quickly, just that he's not churning his feet.

Phenomenal numbers for a defenceman from Bouchard. Guy led his team in scoring by a country mile. Here's hoping he blossoms in to exactly what we need.

I didn't take any stock in it, it just made me roll my eyes and it's a typical reaction from some Oilers fans. Something has to be wrong with him in some peoples eyes.

I just look at what he does and what the Oilers need.
- Right shot - Check
- Moves the puck - Supposedly one of the best passers in the league. Check
- Runs a PP - Check.
- Puts up points - Check. 25 goals, 87 pts. Ellis had 89 in his draft year.
- Plays big mins - Check. Averages over 34 mins which is crazy.
- Good Defender - Check. Positioning and hockey sense listed as some of his strengths.
- Rushes the puck - Check.

On top of that he's a leader since he was a captain and as mentioned, he lead his team in points by 33 as a dman. To say the Oilers brass must of been pumped is an understatement. I say the clip were Chia let go a F-bomb" in an interview out of excitement.

What surprised me a bit from a fan who I follow on twitter because he does lots of advanced stats was Woodguy. When it was coming to the Oilers pick and Bouchard, Dobson and Walhstrom were all available, Woodguy tweeted he wanted Walhstrom with "don't screw this up Oilers." He also tweeted "don't draft Bouchard" then was upset they drafted him. Now supposedly some guys he trusted sent him some numbers and he warmed up to the pick but I heard Woodguy come on Stauffer's show and Lowetide's show talking about the Oilers need to have the exact dman that Bouchard is. Yet when it comes time to draft him, he wanted a right winger. Head scratcher.

[Updated on: Mon, 25 June 2018 08:45]

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #716190 is a reply to message #716185 ]
Mon, 25 June 2018 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

....a chance to judge for yourself...the Oilers are holding a development camp this week at the Downtown Community Arena...that will include Bouchard and his good buddy Ryan McLeod....

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/twenty-four-players-to-atten d-oilers-development-camp-from-june-25-28/c-299258950

..."Monday, June 25, 2018

4:45 PM MT Skater session

Tuesday, June 26, 2018

3:30 PM MT Skill session

4:30 PM MT Scrimmage

Wednesday, June 27, 2018

3:30 PM MT Skill session

4:30 PM MT Scrimmage

Thursday, June 28, 2018

6:30 PM MT Billy Moores Cup"...

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #716094 is a reply to message #716087 ]
Fri, 22 June 2018 18:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Considering that an alternative outcome could have been a Chiarelli trade, I would have been happy with either of the 2 D that fell in Bouchard or Dobson, or the winger Wahlstrom.

Bouchard checks some boxes, but he's a couple years out.

The Islanders got a couple pretty good back to back picks at 11 and 12.

Given some of the rumors swirling around in terms of D moving, I wonder if the Oilers are in play on any of those in the days ahead? Obviously if #10 was in play on any of that, it isn't anymore.

[Updated on: Fri, 22 June 2018 19:00]

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #716096 is a reply to message #716094 ]
Fri, 22 June 2018 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prince Albert 1  is currently offline Prince Albert 1

No Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Fri, 22 June 2018 18:58

Considering that an alternative outcome could have been a Chiarelli trade, I would have been happy with either of the 2 D that fell in Bouchard or Dobson, or the winger Wahlstrom.

Bouchard checks some boxes, but he's a couple years out.

The Islanders got a couple pretty good back to back picks at 11 and 12.

Given some of the rumors swirling around in terms of D moving, I wonder if the Oilers are in play on any of those in the days ahead? Obviously if #10 was in play on any of that, it isn't anymore.

Bouchard has already played 3 years of junior. Is one the oldest players i the draf and is very mature leader type so I wouldn't say he's a "couple years out". 1 at the most.

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #716095 is a reply to message #716087 ]
Fri, 22 June 2018 19:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

Hard not to be happy. A better player than should have been there at 10. Oilers didn't go off the board. A very solid, puck-moving, right shot defenseman. High ceiling. Nothing is certain, but this is a good pick.

Chiarelli did well to hold onto that pick if a good deal wasn't there today.

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #716104 is a reply to message #716087 ]
Fri, 22 June 2018 20:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

I like it! Calm, confident, mature and seemingly close to being ready to play in the NHL. Good power play quarterback and puck mover and a pretty big guy. Oilers were fortunate to get him at 10.

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #716105 is a reply to message #716087 ]
Fri, 22 June 2018 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #716108 is a reply to message #716105 ]
Fri, 22 June 2018 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

That's a pretty good highlight package. Nice first pass and a RH cannon that he can get to the net. Central Scouting had him 4th among North American skaters, the top defenseman. Pretty lucky he fell....there were 2-3 curious picks higher up.

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #716106 is a reply to message #716087 ]
Fri, 22 June 2018 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pseudoreality  is currently offline Pseudoreality

No Cups

Who was the other kid on the stage? Not Katz's monster, but the other one?

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #716107 is a reply to message #716087 ]
Fri, 22 June 2018 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Chia f-bomb

https://twitter.com/MuhOilers/status/1010360794146484224

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #716109 is a reply to message #716107 ]
Fri, 22 June 2018 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 22 June 2018 22:46

Chia f-bomb

https://twitter.com/MuhOilers/status/1010360794146484224

Well, even NHL executives get a little emotional. He wasn't expecting that good of a player apparently.
icon_lol

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #716112 is a reply to message #716109 ]
Sat, 23 June 2018 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jakey  is currently offline Jakey

No Cups

Couldn’t go wrong with the cluster of 3 players were there. I know a lot like Dobson and so do I. I was surprised at how many minutes Bouchard plays and how hard he shoots & how often he uses his shot. I believe that both would have been a great pick, but Bouchard is a little more cerebral player and a better fit for the PP quarterback that we were looking for. Plus he is a bit ahead of Dobson in how close he is to the NHL IMO. I would have been happy with either as they fill a need & were best player available at the same time which normally doesn’t happen.
Watching Bouchard in interviews I was happy with his demeanour and his thoughts on this is a great day, but just the first day in the work needed to get to the NHL. I love that he is looking forward already and has that calmness that breeds confidence. Don’t think he makes it next year, but has a solid shot at being on the team the year after.
We will need a 2 year stop gap RH Dman that can play in the top 4 so that Bouchard can have some time to develope and then start to run the PP in 3 years from now. I haven’t looked at which players have 2-3 years left on contract, but it should be a little better position to be in for the Oilers vs having to find a young RH Dman. Now they can look for a guy who is 28-30 years old + and not have to pay as much. Keeps our young guys like Puljujarvi and Yamamoto out of trade talks which is good.
I had a chuckle how Chiarelli let an F-Bomb slip in the interview. That was funny and a Freudian slip cuz he was so happy to get a RH Dman he has scrounged for over 3 years now.

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #742736 is a reply to message #716107 ]
Sun, 15 September 2019 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

It's wrong to read anything into a pre-season scrimmage and Tippett kept the NHL'ers for the most part out of the fray, but Bouchard had a pretty decent intra-squad performance on Sunday.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5905478/evan-bouchard-edmonton-oi lers-scrimmage/

I still think he spends the coming season in Bakersfield, but he isn't too far away.

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #716207 is a reply to message #716087 ]
Mon, 25 June 2018 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Friedman says the Oilers almost traded up for Bouchard in his 31 thoughts. I guess we must have had him high on our list. Obviously about Dobson and Wahlstrom.

In Gretzky we trust? Might not even have to joke about that, Keith Gretzky may well be one of the ultra-rare intelligent members of the OBC friends/family gang. He drafted a lot of good pieces for Boston. Still waiting on Pulju to pay off, but I still think he will, and he was a clear consensus top pick regardless.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #716210 is a reply to message #716207 ]
Mon, 25 June 2018 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Given how giddy Chia was and based on Friedman's 31 thoughts how they were trying to trade up to make sure they got him, they clearly felt he was everything they needed and other than Dahlin, clearly the most NHL ready. He's already played 3 yrs of junior. Going to be 19 in October and considering some of these guys will be just 18 when training camp starts, 1 year in age is HUGE. He's already pushing 200 and I bet he gets real close to that by the time camp comes around. He's pretty close to NHL ready.

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #716242 is a reply to message #716210 ]
Tue, 26 June 2018 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

....this is one mature young hockey player...interview from the development camp....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVEiA5UOAtE

...I really,really hope the Oilers don't rush him, but it's going to be hard to hold him back...please don't go the instant gratification route with this one, Oilers.....

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #716243 is a reply to message #716242 ]
Tue, 26 June 2018 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Tue, 26 June 2018 00:02

....this is one mature young hockey player...interview from the development camp....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVEiA5UOAtE

...I really,really hope the Oilers don't rush him, but it's going to be hard to hold him back...please don't go the instant gratification route with this one, Oilers.....

Chances of that are ultra low. He's probably already been slotted in the opening line-up.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #716269 is a reply to message #716243 ]
Tue, 26 June 2018 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Let's trade Nurse and Kelfbom for some wing help now that the D is fixed.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #716655 is a reply to message #716269 ]
Wed, 04 July 2018 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

....too early to get a thread going about the 2018-19 WJC tournament, but Bouchard earned an invite to the summer camp/ World Junior Showcase in Kamloops....Rodrigue and Ryan McLeod, too...

https://www.tsn.ca/players-named-for-wjc-development-camp-1. 1130919

..."The eight-day event features Canada, Finland, Sweden, and the United States, who will combine to play 11 games. Canada will dress two squads for games against a split United States roster on July 31, before combining again as a full team to play Finland on Aug. 2, Sweden on Aug. 3, and close the tournament against Team USA on Aug. 4."...

Re: Oilers select 1st rd (#10) - Evan Bouchard [message #716657 is a reply to message #716655 ]
Wed, 04 July 2018 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Wed, 04 July 2018 12:27

....too early to get a thread going about the 2018-19 WJC tournament, but Bouchard earned an invite to the summer camp/ World Junior Showcase in Kamloops....Rodrigue and Ryan McLeod, too...

https://www.tsn.ca/players-named-for-wjc-development-camp-1. 1130919

..."The eight-day event features Canada, Finland, Sweden, and the United States, who will combine to play 11 games. Canada will dress two squads for games against a split United States roster on July 31, before combining again as a full team to play Finland on Aug. 2, Sweden on Aug. 3, and close the tournament against Team USA on Aug. 4."...

What's the point? Chia won't be releasing him from the NHL roster this winter :)

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Pages (3): [1  2  3  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #63)
Next Topic:GDT: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #62)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca