This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers sign KoskinenPages (3): [1  2  3  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Oilers sign Koskinen [message #714159]
Tue, 01 May 2018 11:10 Go to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

One year deal, per Oilers twitter. Salary tbd

https://mobile.twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/status/99136152412 2857472

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers sign Koskinen [message #714160 is a reply to message #714159 ]
Tue, 01 May 2018 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I was worried it would be more than 1 yr but since its only 1 yr, I can handle it. It will be interesting to see what the money is. He's got pretty awesome KHL numbers. Hopefully that translate to the NHL.

Talbot may have just swallowed a little harder and told the wife he's going to the gym a little earlier than usual. I don't think he was too worried about his job or playing time the last couple of seasons. Hopefully between Montoya and Koskinen, there will be a bit of a push for the crease.

[Updated on: Tue, 01 May 2018 11:16]

Re: Oilers sign Koskinen [message #714161 is a reply to message #714160 ]
Tue, 01 May 2018 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 01 May 2018 11:13

I was worried it would be more than 1 yr but since its only 1 yr, I can handle it. It will be interesting to see what the money is. He's got pretty awesome KHL numbers. Hopefully that translate to the NHL.

Talbot may have just swallowed a little harder and told the wife he's going to the gym a little earlier than usual. I don't think he was too worried about his job or playing time the last couple of seasons. Hopefully between Montoya and Koskinen, there will be a bit of a push for the crease.

Either that or he's noticed that Koskinen's numbers aren't much different than Nilsson's KHL numbers and that Koskinen was playing on a stacked team all year and so he isn't worried at all.

Dude is big though...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Oilers sign Koskinen [message #714165 is a reply to message #714161 ]
Tue, 01 May 2018 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 01 May 2018 11:27

Either that or he's noticed that Koskinen's numbers aren't much different than Nilsson's KHL numbers and that Koskinen was playing on a stacked team all year and so he isn't worried at all.

Dude is big though...

Well if you remember early on, Nilsson was signed out of the KHL and took the starters job while Talbot sputtered then Talbot picked up his socks and took it back. I am cool if that were to happen.

Re: Oilers sign Koskinen [message #714168 is a reply to message #714165 ]
Tue, 01 May 2018 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 01 May 2018 11:54

Adam wrote on Tue, 01 May 2018 11:27

Dude is big though...

Well if you remember early on, Nilsson was signed out of the KHL and took the starters job while Talbot sputtered then Talbot picked up his socks and took it back. I am cool if that were to happen.

Totally get what you’re saying here, but I’d prefer if Talbot just plays like he can. We, the Oilers, need Talbot to be on his game to make any noise next season. He can’t sputter along while trying to figure his game out. I’d bet he’s back to his 2016-17 form next season, being a contract year. Koskinen provides a hopeful replacement for 15-20 games. Dude is big. Hopefully he and TBot can feed off each other.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Oilers sign Koskinen [message #714164 is a reply to message #714159 ]
Tue, 01 May 2018 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MJ  is currently offline MJ

No Cups

Hopefully the salary isn't a number that'll drive people a bit crazy, otherwise this a worthwhile gamble to make.

Re: Oilers sign Koskinen [message #714206 is a reply to message #714164 ]
Tue, 01 May 2018 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

MJ wrote on Tue, 01 May 2018 11:32

Hopefully the salary isn't a number that'll drive people a bit crazy, otherwise this a worthwhile gamble to make.

Ohhh ohhh MJ.. His salary is 2.5M

2 POINT 5 for A FREAKING UNPROVEN BACKUP. Montoya is 1.05 for next season. 1 POINT ZERO 5.

One year, great.. will put us in cap hell even more than we already are.

STUPID CHIA.. STUPID STUPID STUPID.

He's mentally incompetent and if his plan that the upper management love so much is to torpedo this organization, he's doing a fine job.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Oilers sign Koskinen [message #714169 is a reply to message #714159 ]
Tue, 01 May 2018 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

OilMJMOil wrote on Tue, 01 May 2018 11:10

Have seen a couple tweets about salary. Reportedly worth 2.25M + bonuses.

That’s hefty.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Oilers sign Koskinen [message #714173 is a reply to message #714169 ]
Tue, 01 May 2018 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

OilMJMOil wrote on Tue, 01 May 2018 12:05

OilMJMOil wrote on Tue, 01 May 2018 11:10

Have seen a couple tweets about salary. Reportedly worth 2.25M + bonuses.

That’s hefty.

LeBrun says 2Mill base plus 500K signing.

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/991381300585132035

I dont know enough about this guy outside of the stats on paper but SOMEONE better be good in net next year. With this much tied up in goalies and nothing set in stone for the season after it is a bit concerning.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Oilers sign Koskinen [message #714174 is a reply to message #714159 ]
Tue, 01 May 2018 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

No Cups

Are we at the point of needing wellness checks on Chiarelli yet?

2.5M for an unproven nobody? There will likely be 8-10 capable backups available who would play for 1M, and yet again, the Oilers have to try be the smartest guy in the classroom.

computer

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: Oilers sign Koskinen [message #714175 is a reply to message #714174 ]
Tue, 01 May 2018 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Skoobz wrote on Tue, 01 May 2018 12:50

2.5M for an unproven nobody? There will likely be 8-10 capable backups available who would play for 1M, and yet again, the Oilers have to try be the smartest guy in the classroom.

computer

I agree. My biggest issue with PC (among many) is his habit of overpaying for secondary roles, that while important, should not be on the high end of the scale.
Bottom 6 forwards, 4-6 defenceman and backup goalies should not be paid premium prices when you have high end players that have big contracts.
Just based on simple economics this shouldnt be a constant offseason occurrence.

Specifically to this signing, the revolving door of backup goalies is pretty amazing. Every offseason there are a pile of proven, capable backup goalies available yet the Oilers, time and again, bring in unknowns/young guys/low percentage breakout players, etc.

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Oilers sign Koskinen [message #714176 is a reply to message #714174 ]
Tue, 01 May 2018 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

computer

Such as?

I am not saying this is a good or bad signing because I know nothing about the guy. He's got really good KHL numbers and has put them up for a number of seasons, great. Now let's see if that translates to the NHL. All I know is the Oilers goaltending was lousy this past season and was a big time reason they stunk. I firmly believe that Talbot will bounce back and be way better but they need to stop playing him 65+ games. Those days seem to be gone. They need a guy that is capable of playing at least 20 games, maybe 25. I have a hard time believing you will find a guy making 1 mill capable of playing that much unless you luck out and find some young guy. They tried it with Brossoit. It blew up in their face. Guys making 1 mill are usually guys like Montoya. Here is the list of UFA goalies.

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2019/caphit/a ll/goalies/ufa

Of the list of top guys. I sure don't want Lehtenon, Halak, Ward Lack, Johnson, Pavelec, Hammond because they are lousy in the NHL. Bernier was decent but he was already making 2.75 mill and coming off an OK season so he probably get a raise. Khudobin would interest me but why would Boston let him go and he gets a significant raise. The guys I would really like is Hutton but the Blues would be nuts to let him go and he might become their starter as his numbers were awesome. T

So I don't mind paying a guy some money because if you want a good guy, you have to pay him. But what concerns me is rolling the dice on a guy with not a lot of NHL experience. I hope it works out.

[Updated on: Tue, 01 May 2018 13:19]

Re: Oilers sign Koskinen [message #714180 is a reply to message #714176 ]
Tue, 01 May 2018 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 01 May 2018 13:14

computer

Such as?

I am not saying this is a good or bad signing because I know nothing about the guy. He's got really good KHL numbers and has put them up for a number of seasons, great. Now let's see if that translates to the NHL. All I know is the Oilers goaltending was lousy this past season and was a big time reason they stunk. I firmly believe that Talbot will bounce back and be way better but they need to stop playing him 65+ games. Those days seem to be gone. They need a guy that is capable of playing at least 20 games, maybe 25. I have a hard time believing you will find a guy making 1 mill capable of playing that much unless you luck out and find some young guy. They tried it with Brossoit. It blew up in their face. Guys making 1 mill are usually guys like Montoya. Here is the list of UFA goalies.

Of the list of top guys. I sure don't want Lehtenon, Halak, Ward Lack, Johnson, Pavelec, Hammond because they are lousy in the NHL. Bernier was decent but he was already making 2.75 mill and coming off an OK season so he probably get a raise. Khudobin would interest me but why would Boston let him go and he gets a significant raise. The guys I would really like is Hutton but the Blues would be nuts to let him go and he might become their starter as his numbers were awesome. T

So I don't mind paying a guy some money because if you want a good guy, you have to pay him. But what concerns me is rolling the dice on a guy with not a lot of NHL experience. I hope it works out.

LB played 11 games where he got W or L. .883 SP/3.24 GAA
AM played 6. .906/2.94

for comparison
CT 65/.908/3.02

A quick look at capfriendly tells me the guys you list as being terrible in the NHL all had similar or better stats than our backups, some better than our starter.

this list made less than 1.3 mill last year;
Carter Hutton
Anton Khudobin
Antti Niemi
Ondrej Pavelec

I will be honest. I have dont have enough eye test knowledge to say which of those guys is best but I would be happier with any of them at 1-1.5 than this signing.

I am not saying any of the UFA goalies are all star's. In fact I wouldnt want to pay any of them 2.5mill to be a backup.

Which leads us back to, how can you, or more importantly PC, justify that much for a completely unproven 30 (as of July) year old?

Re: Oilers sign Koskinen [message #714195 is a reply to message #714180 ]
Tue, 01 May 2018 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PoolParty  is currently offline PoolParty

No Cups

PlusOne wrote on Tue, 01 May 2018 13:34

computer

Such as?

AM played 6. .906/2.94

for comparison
CT 65/.908/3.02

A quick look at capfriendly tells me the guys you list as being terrible in the NHL all had similar or better stats than our backups, some better than our starter.

Carter Hutton
Anton Khudobin
Antti Niemi
Ondrej Pavelec

I will be honest. I have dont have enough eye test knowledge to say which of those guys is best but I would be happier with any of them at 1-1.5 than this signing.

I am not saying any of the UFA goalies are all star's. In fact I wouldnt want to pay any of them 2.5mill to be a backup.

Which leads us back to, how can you, or more importantly PC, justify that much for a completely unproven 30 (as of July) year old?

Niemi isn't he the guy that played so poorly that he was waived by half the of eastern conference teams last year?

This forum has turned into a pessimistic cesspool of bitching and whining about the same topics consistently.

#Adam #Kr55 #CrusaderPi #inverno76

#RDOilerfan is possibly reformed, time will tell.

Re: Oilers sign Koskinen [message #714197 is a reply to message #714195 ]
Tue, 01 May 2018 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

PoolParty wrote on Tue, 01 May 2018 14:31

PlusOne wrote on Tue, 01 May 2018 13:34

computer

Such as?

AM played 6. .906/2.94

for comparison
CT 65/.908/3.02

Carter Hutton
Anton Khudobin
Antti Niemi
Ondrej Pavelec

Niemi isn't he the guy that played so poorly that he was waived by half the of eastern conference teams last year?

Yep, he played very poorly in 3 games for the penguins and 2 for the Panthers. He then played in Montreal. 19 games, .929 save % and a 2.46 GAA.

If you gave me that Montreal stat line, for the 700K he made, as our backup next year I would be just fine with it.

Added bonus, he is Finnish! bonus box checked.

Re: Oilers sign Koskinen [message #714204 is a reply to message #714176 ]
Tue, 01 May 2018 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

I am not saying this is a good or bad signing because I know nothing about the guy. He's got really good KHL numbers and has put them up for a number of seasons, great. Now let's see if that translates to the NHL.

Per Ryan Batty on Twitter, since 15/16, Koskinen has actually performed average (11 spots ahead of Scrivezina! But 8 spots behind Fasth...) for KHL goalies.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DcIvjEMU8AAnNPY.jpg:large

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: Oilers sign Koskinen [message #714205 is a reply to message #714204 ]
Tue, 01 May 2018 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Skoobz wrote on Tue, 01 May 2018 16:26

I am not saying this is a good or bad signing because I know nothing about the guy. He's got really good KHL numbers and has put them up for a number of seasons, great. Now let's see if that translates to the NHL.

Per Ryan Batty on Twitter, since 15/16, Koskinen has actually performed average (11 spots ahead of Scrivezina! But 8 spots behind Fasth...) for KHL goalies.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DcIvjEMU8AAnNPY.jpg:large

Thanks for posting this. I had seen it then when I wanted to reference it here I couldnt find it.
Also note he is better than Scrivens but 8 spots behind Fasth.

I hope I am the one being mocked but this may be a fun thread to revisit a year from now.

Re: Oilers sign Koskinen [message #714179 is a reply to message #714174 ]
Tue, 01 May 2018 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

computer

Maybe, but there are a BUNCH of teams (16 actually) that need a backup and/or a starter, so even though there are lots available, there are an equal, if not greater number of teams in need of a tender.

Re: Oilers sign Koskinen [message #714183 is a reply to message #714174 ]
Tue, 01 May 2018 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

No Cups

the Oilers have to try be the smartest guy in the classroom.

How many Stanley Cups have YOU won?

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: Oilers sign Koskinen [message #714185 is a reply to message #714183 ]
Tue, 01 May 2018 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Jay wrote on Tue, 01 May 2018 13:49

According to my sidebar here? <checks> 5 cups.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Oilers sign Koskinen [message #714188 is a reply to message #714185 ]
Tue, 01 May 2018 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 01 May 2018 13:59

So you admit you know basically nothing about contract negotiating, talent evaluation and managing a multimillion dollar business?
The guys in charge eat, sleep and breath this stuff. They know how to do those things because they won a lot of Stanley cups. Basically they know about winning and you don't. Oh, and they have a PLAN that they will unveil after the forensic diagnostic evaluation of the audits.

Re: Oilers sign Koskinen [message #714190 is a reply to message #714188 ]
Tue, 01 May 2018 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Jay wrote on Tue, 01 May 2018 14:09

So you admit you know basically nothing about contract negotiating, talent evaluation and managing a multimillion dollar business?
The guys in charge eat, sleep and breath this stuff. They know how to do those things because they won a lot of Stanley cups. Basically they know about winning and you don't. Oh, and they have a PLAN that they will unveil after the forensic diagnostic evaluation of the audits.

I have trouble admitting this Jay, but you're right. I don't know anything about anything. I just come here and say whatever dumb thought pops into my head and hope everyone simply accepts it because I've been posting for 15 years. I have a plan to become a good poster and a knowledgeable hockey person, actually I'm working on the plan, I'll let you know if it works.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Oilers sign Koskinen [message #714201 is a reply to message #714188 ]
Tue, 01 May 2018 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I think you got confused there and thought you were talking to the real GM who also seems to struggle with contract negotiating, talent evaluation and managing a multimillion dollar business...

Wait a second...CrusaderPi isn't really Chiarelli, is he?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Oilers sign Koskinen [message #714208 is a reply to message #714201 ]
Tue, 01 May 2018 17:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 01 May 2018 16:07

I think you got confused there and thought you were talking to the real GM who also seems to struggle with contract negotiating, talent evaluation and managing a multimillion dollar business...

Wait a second...CrusaderPi isn't really Chiarelli, is he?

Wait, am I? Guys. I really need an answer here. I think I might be accidentally screwing up the Oilers.

Re: Oilers sign Koskinen [message #714189 is a reply to message #714185 ]
Tue, 01 May 2018 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

5 cups in 15ish years. You should have a yearly banner raising to commemorate past greatness.

Re: Oilers sign Koskinen [message #714192 is a reply to message #714189 ]
Tue, 01 May 2018 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Tue, 01 May 2018 14:10

5 cups in 15ish years. You should have a yearly banner raising to commemorate past greatness.

MJ KEEPS PRUNING POSTS! I SHOULD HAVE 11,000 POSTS BY NOW!!!

Although, no one can have more than 6 cups. If anyone possessed more knowledge than that they'd tear at the very fabric of the universe.

Re: Oilers sign Koskinen [message #714198 is a reply to message #714192 ]
Tue, 01 May 2018 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 01 May 2018 14:14

PlusOne wrote on Tue, 01 May 2018 14:10

MJ KEEPS PRUNING POSTS! I SHOULD HAVE 11,000 POSTS BY NOW!!!

Although, no one can have more than 6 cups. If anyone possessed more knowledge than that they'd tear at the very fabric of the universe.

I skipped the rest after "pruning". Got me thinking.
Can you made red wine out of Prunes? or just Grapes? Asking for a friend.

Re: Oilers sign Koskinen [message #714200 is a reply to message #714185 ]
Tue, 01 May 2018 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

6 Cups, 5 Summer League Hockey Championships and THREE Oilfans Survivors.

So I think I know a thing or two about winning, if that was ever a concern.

Re: Oilers sign Koskinen [message #714216 is a reply to message #714200 ]
Wed, 02 May 2018 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 01 May 2018 15:36

6 Cups, 5 Summer League Hockey Championships and THREE Oilfans Survivors.

So I think I know a thing or two about winning, if that was ever a concern.

Is there anyone else in Oilfans who has won more Stanley cups than you?

You may want to consider changing your avatar.
http://postmediacanadadotcom.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/041913lowerangers.jpg

[Updated on: Wed, 02 May 2018 08:30]

Re: Oilers sign Koskinen [message #714202 is a reply to message #714183 ]
Tue, 01 May 2018 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Same number in the last 28 years.

Re: Oilers sign Koskinen [message #714987 is a reply to message #714202 ]
Fri, 25 May 2018 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BenS  is currently offline BenS

No Cups

Good move!

Re: Oilers sign Koskinen [message #714177 is a reply to message #714159 ]
Tue, 01 May 2018 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

Wow at the number. They must really think he can push for a #1 spot this season or something that's the only thing I can get out of it.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Oilers sign Koskinen [message #714178 is a reply to message #714159 ]
Tue, 01 May 2018 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

I feel bad for the box, getting checked so damn hard.

Hope this guy can actually perform in the NHL. Would be really nice to have a backup that is closer to starter than he is to ECHLer.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Oilers sign Koskinen [message #714181 is a reply to message #714159 ]
Tue, 01 May 2018 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Maybe I’m in the minority in this, but this is good for the Oilers. Koskinen *should* push Talbot all while tutoring Jesse Puljujarvi in English providing a Finnish mentor for young JP.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Oilers sign Koskinen [message #714182 is a reply to message #714181 ]
Tue, 01 May 2018 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

OilMJMOil wrote on Tue, 01 May 2018 13:36

Maybe I’m in the minority in this, but this is good for the Oilers. Koskinen *should* push Talbot all while tutoring Jesse Puljujarvi in English providing a Finnish mentor for young JP.

This is one of those moves where if a good team and a good GM made it, I'd give them the benefit of doubt. However, since it's the Oilers and Chiarelli... no benefits will be given and I'm going to assume the move is stupid until proven otherwise.

Re: Oilers sign Koskinen [message #714186 is a reply to message #714182 ]
Tue, 01 May 2018 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 01 May 2018 13:42

This is one of those moves where if a good team and a good GM made it, I'd give them the benefit of doubt. However, since it's the Oilers and Chiarelli... no benefits will be given and I'm going to assume the move is stupid until proven otherwise.

I still dont think I would like it. While on capfriendly looking at FA goalies I decided to check out some of the team goalie tandem cap hits.

Of the 16 playoff teams only one pay a goalie the same or more than Koskinen. That would be Colorado

Of the 15 non playoff teams there 4.

Now, this one fact isn't indicative of it being a problem by itself but it is an interesting snapshot of how successful teams are signing players.

Using this year as a comparison there are teams paying backups making more
DAL- (Lehtonen @ 5.9 and Bishop at 4.9)
NYI- Halak and Greiss
FLA- Luongo and Reimer
COL- Varlamov and Bernier
CAR- Darling and Ward

Paying a backup this much is a usually a clear indication of;
- lack of faith in the starter
- signing a successor to the incumbent
- bad managment

Talbot is a year older then Koskinen (to the month)
Neither is signed past this year.

RDOF asked people to look at capfriendly. I wish I wouldn't have. The more I look at goalie salaries the dumber this looks.

I suppose the bright side is with enough overpays we cant blame cap space for underperforming next year. Although I would suggest he never got a fair shake here.

Re: Oilers sign Koskinen [message #714194 is a reply to message #714186 ]
Tue, 01 May 2018 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

PlusOne wrote on Tue, 01 May 2018 14:03

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 01 May 2018 13:42

I still dont think I would like it. While on capfriendly looking at FA goalies I decided to check out some of the team goalie tandem cap hits.

Of the 16 playoff teams only one pay a goalie the same or more than Koskinen. That would be Colorado

Of the 15 non playoff teams there 4.

Now, this one fact isn't indicative of it being a problem by itself but it is an interesting snapshot of how successful teams are signing players.

Using this year as a comparison there are teams paying backups making more
DAL- (Lehtonen @ 5.9 and Bishop at 4.9)
NYI- Halak and Greiss
FLA- Luongo and Reimer
COL- Varlamov and Bernier
CAR- Darling and Ward

Paying a backup this much is a usually a clear indication of;
- lack of faith in the starter
- signing a successor to the incumbent
- bad managment

Talbot is a year older then Koskinen (to the month)
Neither is signed past this year.

RDOF asked people to look at capfriendly. I wish I wouldn't have. The more I look at goalie salaries the dumber this looks.

I suppose the bright side is with enough overpays we cant blame cap space for underperforming next year. Although I would suggest he never got a fair shake here.

How many of those teams have a starter that they're paying significantly more than Talbot though?

Rinne is $7m
Rask $7m
Holtby $6.1m
Jones $5.75m
Varlamov $5.9m
Schneider $6m
Andersen $5.3m
Quick $5.8m
Fleury $5.75m
Allen $4.35m
Dubnyk $4.33m

There are only 5 teams paying their starter less than us, and of those one would think that Hallebuyck will be getting a big pay day on his next contract, same with Vasilevsky in Tampa and Murray in Pittsburgh and Gibson in Anaheim.
That leave Philly, but I don't think any team wants to model their goalie situation on what Philly does.

It only seems fair to compare what teams are paying for their goalie tandem, not just the starter. Oilers are right in the middle of the pack when you factor that in, which I have no problem with.

Goalie cap hit isn't what's hurting us, it's $4m with NMC for 3rd pairing D, $6m with NMC for 2LW (arguably 3LW based off last year), $1.95m for 4RW...

Re: Oilers sign Koskinen [message #714196 is a reply to message #714194 ]
Tue, 01 May 2018 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Tue, 01 May 2018 14:25

It only seems fair to compare what teams are paying for their goalie tandem, not just the starter. Oilers are right in the middle of the pack when you factor that in, which I have no problem with.

I removed parts of your post for space, not to ignore them...

I totally get where you are coming from on total cap hit but I think it means nothing.
If both guys played exactly 41 games then it would matter.
This isnt the socialist republic of the NHL. Below you will mention other contracts. If your arguement on goalie cap hit was true then the overpay on guys like Lucic and Russell shouldnt matter given McDavid was so underpaid this past season.

My point was more that well managed teams dont have secondary role players being overpaid.

I think Talbot an above average starter in the league and is paid like one. He is 21st in cap hit for goalies this year. I think that would make him slightly underpaid. (Koskinen is 37th for those keeping track at home)
That doesnt mean you go out and waste money.

The only thing that matters is the best team under the total cap. I couldnt care less if the Oilers had the best goalie in the league and he made 1.5 mill a year. It doesnt mean you have to waste that bonus on a backup.

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Tue, 01 May 2018 14:25

Goalie cap hit isn't what's hurting us, it's $4m with NMC for 3rd pairing D, $6m with NMC for 2LW (arguably 3LW based off last year), $1.95m for 4RW...

this part I totally agree on minus the goalie part. If you take one million from all of those overpays you mention, and this one. the multiple issues with the roster become a lot easier to fix.

All of these signings are exactly what is hurting us, cap wise

Re: Oilers sign Koskinen [message #714199 is a reply to message #714194 ]
Tue, 01 May 2018 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Tue, 01 May 2018 13:25

I look at it totally the opposite. Unless you think that Talbot/Koskinen are going to be 1A/1B.

But the Oilers have given no indication that's how they plan to deploy them. In a lost season in which he was injured, Talbot still played the most games in the NHL. Maybe the plan is to have Talbot only play 45-50 games next year, in which case maybe you can justify paying a backup that much. But until that happens, I'm going to assume the Oilers just blew whatever advantage they gained by having Talbot on a relatively cheap deal on a mediocre backup that is going to play, at best, 15-20 games (barring injury).

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Oilers sign Koskinen [message #714184 is a reply to message #714181 ]
Tue, 01 May 2018 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

No Cups

OilMJMOil wrote on Tue, 01 May 2018 12:36

I also don't see much downside here. You've now got a 2A and 2B goalie to cover off Talbot. Overall cap hit is reasonable compared to other teams. All 3 goalies are UFA's next summer so if it doesn't work you've got flexibility moving forward.

I will also add that my sentiments are based on the hope that Chia and the gang did their homework on Koskinen and that he "can" actually be a competent back-up. If not, then we're no worse off than last year and Chia will be canned next spring anyway. I know if my job was on the line, I would be pretty damn sure about this.

Last comment on this: Next year won't be won or lost with who the back-up is. Yes, Talbot shouldn't play 65+ games, so having a decent back-up is important. That said, if the team in front of him can't play it won't matter who's in net and the failure of the season won't be solely hung on the goaltending. This is just 1 step in fixing what's broken. Plenty more to do Chia.

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Pages (3): [1  2  3  >  »]  
Previous Topic:GDT: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #30)
Next Topic:Pregame: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #30)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca