Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Montoya traded to Oilers for a conditional 4th
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Montoya traded to Oilers for a conditional 4th [message #706476]
Thu, 04 January 2018 21:19 Go to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

The Insanity has begun.
Pistol Pete pulling a trigger, missing target.
https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/news/al-montoya---trade---edmo nton/c-294665070

Unless LB is going somewhere else in a bigger trade..

[Updated on: Thu, 04 January 2018 21:21]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Montoya traded to Oilers for a conditional 4th [message #706479 is a reply to message #706476 ]
Thu, 04 January 2018 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilMJMOil  is currently offline OilMJMOil

1 Cup

Season saved!!! Thank you Pete. Our one weakness has been improved.

In all seriousness. Montoya is a more capable and reliable backup than LB. but for a 4th?

In Chia we... trust?

2016: We need to get heavier, and we need a defenseman!

2018: We need to get faster, and we need a defenseman!

Re: Montoya traded to Oilers for a conditional 4th [message #706480 is a reply to message #706479 ]
Thu, 04 January 2018 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

4 Cups

OilMJMOil wrote on Thu, 04 January 2018 21:28

In all seriousness. Montoya is a more capable and reliable backup than LB. but for a 4th?

In Chia we... trust?

He didn't trade him for Nuge, at least.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Montoya traded to Oilers for a conditional 4th [message #706484 is a reply to message #706479 ]
Thu, 04 January 2018 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

OilMJMOil wrote on Thu, 04 January 2018 20:28

In Chia we... trust?

Montoya has been a bust everywhere he's gone, not sure he is an actual upgrade, the jury is in on that guy, not great, and not getting better, question now is what do we do with LB? Not like we really gave him a decent try with the incompetent D we have, and a useless PK. Just worried he'll turn in to another Dubbie once we let him go.

Is there goalie stats for 5 on 5 ONLY? With our useless PK, including PP goals would be totally skewed against the Goalie.

Talbot is 0.902, LB is 0.886, not a big difference, Anderson, the starter in Ottawa is 0.892

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier

Re: Montoya traded to Oilers for a conditional 4th [message #706489 is a reply to message #706484 ]
Thu, 04 January 2018 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

4 Cups

@NHLbyMatty
McLellan says they want Brossoit to go to minors to get some work as young guy and they plan on riding Talbot from now on in. Vet Montoya will join team in Dallas. Brossoit has to clear waivers

I have a bad feeling about this.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Montoya traded to Oilers for a conditional 4th [message #706490 is a reply to message #706489 ]
Thu, 04 January 2018 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

nullterm wrote on Thu, 04 January 2018 22:02

@NHLbyMatty
McLellan says they want Brossoit to go to minors to get some work as young guy and they plan on riding Talbot from now on in. Vet Montoya will join team in Dallas. Brossoit has to clear waivers

yeah, like Dubbie part Du

but hey, this GM is a pretty fart smeller, what could go wrong?

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Montoya traded to Oilers for a conditional 4th [message #706491 is a reply to message #706490 ]
Thu, 04 January 2018 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 04 January 2018 23:28

@NHLbyMatty

I dunno about Dubs part 2. Dubs actually had good seasons and was trending up before Eakins decided defending the slot isn't important. LB has been a flat line of mediocre and bad long range goals against. If LB is ever going to make it, he's probably still some years away. We never should have brought him up really, he was never ready. He never solidified himself at the AHL level. Oil Kings love seems to have given him a shortcut with our org, and it's put us in a bad situation with his development. Can't just keep a backup goalie on your NHL roster that isn't ready for the NHL forever and hope he figures it out one day.

[Updated on: Thu, 04 January 2018 23:51]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Montoya traded to Oilers for a conditional 4th [message #706613 is a reply to message #706491 ]
Sat, 06 January 2018 15:59 Go to previous message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 04 January 2018 23:46

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 04 January 2018 23:28

@NHLbyMatty

I dunno about Dubs part 2. Dubs actually had good seasons and was trending up before Eakins decided defending the slot isn't important. LB has been a flat line of mediocre and bad long range goals against. If LB is ever going to make it, he's probably still some years away. We never should have brought him up really, he was never ready. He never solidified himself at the AHL level. Oil Kings love seems to have given him a shortcut with our org, and it's put us in a bad situation with his development. Can't just keep a backup goalie on your NHL roster that isn't ready for the NHL forever and hope he figures it out one day.

Arguably, slot defense is still an issue.

Re: Montoya traded to Oilers for a conditional 4th [message #706494 is a reply to message #706476 ]
Fri, 05 January 2018 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

I actually don't mind this deal, I just think it's nearly 2 years overdue.

No matter how you spin it, Montoya is an upgrade over LB. I think this is the end of his career in the NHL.

How could one doubt the braintrust of 6 Cups Kevin Lowe, MacT's E-MBA from Queens, Paul Coffey's skills coach resume, and drunk Gretzky?

Re: Montoya traded to Oilers for a conditional 4th [message #706501 is a reply to message #706494 ]
Fri, 05 January 2018 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Fri, 05 January 2018 00:31

No matter how you spin it, Montoya is an upgrade over LB. I think this is the end of his career in the NHL.

LB is still young, he's got plenty of time to develop as a goaltender and get used to new pads. I'm not sure this trade does much to solve the backup goaltending issue that has obviously existed here for as long as Chiarelli has been GM, but at least it shows he finally noticed it was a problem. Maybe. Maybe he thinks LB is fine as back up and just wants to get him more games.

Peter Chiarelli, General Disappointment.

Drink wine, fall faster, and fly. Fly, baby, fly.

Re: Montoya traded to Oilers for a conditional 4th [message #706505 is a reply to message #706501 ]
Fri, 05 January 2018 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 05 January 2018 08:29

LB is still young, he's got plenty of time to develop as a goaltender and get used to new pads. I'm not sure this trade does much to solve the backup goaltending issue that has obviously existed here for as long as Chiarelli has been GM, but at least it shows he finally noticed it was a problem. Maybe. Maybe he thinks LB is fine as back up and just wants to get him more games.

This is Chiarelli's fourth bet on back-up goalie in 2.5 seasons as GM. So far, he's got a stellar record with Nilsson, Gustavsson and Brossoit, so I don't know why anyone would doubt that Montoya wouldn't be the solution.

The pick is conditional on the number of games he plays - if he's in 7 or more games, then we owe Montreal the 4th rounder. 6 or less, and it's a 5th round pick. Weird condition, because if it's close later in the year then there's a disincentive to pull Talbot in lopsided games, or to rest him in back-to-backs.

I think there's no comparison between Dubnyk and Brossoit. Dubnyk's career has always been better, and Brossoit has never looked ready to be an NHL goalie. The fact that he dresses like the Michelin Man in an age where there's increasing pressure to actually fix goalie equipment is an issue too. Eventually all those extra corners on his equipment are going to be smoothed out, and he's going to have to make more adjustments to make saves. I don't care if he gets picked up on waivers (he won't be - no one else needs a mediocre backup either), and I think it's only 50/50 that the Oilers qualify him this summer.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Montoya traded to Oilers for a conditional 4th [message #706530 is a reply to message #706505 ]
Fri, 05 January 2018 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 05 January 2018 09:08

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 05 January 2018 08:29

I think there's no comparison between Dubnyk and Brossoit. Dubnyk's career has always been better, and Brossoit has never looked ready to be an NHL goalie.

My angle is that Brossoit needed ice time. He looked very rusty in his first few games but then looked better as he got up to speed. As a young goalie he needs to play regularly in order to develop and maintain NHL skill levels- 20 games a year probably. Talbot wasn't going to concede that. Oilers paying attention to the developmental needs of players is a crazy thing, I know!!! Soon we'll be expecting accountability in Bakersfield...

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

Re: Montoya traded to Oilers for a conditional 4th [message #706508 is a reply to message #706476 ]
Fri, 05 January 2018 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

Reading the tea leaves this is a huge gamble to lose LB on waivers, for nothing. Has LB looked good in his NHL starts? No but I guess toward Talbot returning he was getting better, but still not NHL calibre.

Montoya for a 4th? At least it isn't that Ceci deal.

Oiler silver lining?

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Montoya traded to Oilers for a conditional 4th [message #706511 is a reply to message #706508 ]
Fri, 05 January 2018 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

a serviceable NHL player, not a star, but NHL level. for a 4th, possibly a 5th.
Seems like decent value to me. How many 4th and 5th rounders in oilers drafting history make it to the show?

Re: Montoya traded to Oilers for a conditional 4th [message #706512 is a reply to message #706511 ]
Fri, 05 January 2018 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Fri, 05 January 2018 09:28

a serviceable NHL player, not a star, but NHL level. for a 4th, possibly a 5th.
Seems like decent value to me. How many 4th and 5th rounders in oilers drafting history make it to the show?

I think the only reason people are upset about this, is that compared to what other teams have paid for better back-ups this year - Subban for nothing on waivers, Pickard for a 6th - the Oilers have overpaid here (which is of course a Chia hallmark).

There was never a good reason to have much faith in Brossoit's ability to be the back-up, and if the organization feels he's a good young player that has to see more icetime, they should have found a veteran back-up either in the summer or earlier in the year when there were other better options available.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Montoya traded to Oilers for a conditional 4th [message #706522 is a reply to message #706512 ]
Fri, 05 January 2018 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

I completely agree with when they should have done it.
Maybe Chia just thought, "well... our drafting sucks. Let's see if Montreal can do something with a 4th, we'll just waste it."

Re: Montoya traded to Oilers for a conditional 4th [message #706528 is a reply to message #706476 ]
Fri, 05 January 2018 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

My initial reaction was positive. Every time I've seen Al Montoya play (which admittedly is somewhat limited), he's looked very good.

Then I looked at his numbers. Last five years he's had save percentages of .920, .892, .919, .912, and this year, .863. He's only played 4 games this year; usually he plays about 20.

So a mixed bag.

I think people getting upset about that asset given probably are overreacting. The odds of a fourth round pick turning into an NHLer are really low. It happens, but it is low. Even more so for a fifth round pick. Chances of a player in the 4th or 5th round playing on the Oilers for a year and a half are probably lower than Al Montoya serving as our backup here for a year and a half. The trade is fine.

What I do think is a valid criticism is those who question why they traded for Montoya instead of Subban or Pickard when they were available for real cheap. Maybe timing? But if timing is the issue, why now? Why not a month ago?

In any case, I was never really sold on Brossoit and had wanted an experienced backup for about two years now. Montoya might serve that role alright. Curious is Brossoit is picked up on waivers or if he clears.

Re: Montoya traded to Oilers for a conditional 4th [message #706537 is a reply to message #706476 ]
Fri, 05 January 2018 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG is currently online NetBOG

1 Cup

Montoya is a capable backup goalie. I'm guessing we see him play Sunday.

It's a deal that probably should have happened a month ago.

I just don't like trading picks if you don't have extra. There should be an internal team mandate that a full set of picks needs to be drafted every year. It's how well run teams like Tampa keep the cupboards stocked.

Re: Montoya traded to Oilers for a conditional 4th [message #706540 is a reply to message #706537 ]
Fri, 05 January 2018 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Fri, 05 January 2018 13:54

Montoya is a capable backup goalie. I'm guessing we see him play Sunday.

It's a deal that probably should have happened a month ago.

I just don't like trading picks if you don't have extra. There should be an internal team mandate that a full set of picks needs to be drafted every year. It's how well run teams like Tampa keep the cupboards stocked.

Then again, most well-run teams don't give key scouting jobs to the GM's brother and the brother of a former star player...

Re: Montoya traded to Oilers for a conditional 4th [message #706541 is a reply to message #706537 ]
Fri, 05 January 2018 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

No Cups

Brossoit is done. AHL call up injury bubble goalie. Dylan Wells is the future boyeeees!

Re: Montoya traded to Oilers for a conditional 4th [message #706552 is a reply to message #706541 ]
Fri, 05 January 2018 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

I would also point out that Broissoit not being picked up mean... every other team thinks their current back up is better than him.

Previous Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #42)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #42)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2018.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca