This day on October 18
Acquired: Randy Gregg (1982)

Happy Birthday To: chimera28_istheman, ct_cruiser, DAVEBF100, bcon, KT84, Chrome, HockeyFan4Life, sparky99

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Pre-Season Game 6 - Hurricanes @ OilersPages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Pre-Season Game 6 - Hurricanes @ Oilers [message #699254]
Mon, 25 September 2017 13:12 Go to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Projected lineups from the Oilers website:

Quote:

Projected Oilers Lineup:

Maroon - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Lucic - Draisaitl - Caggiula
Jokinen - RNH - Strome
Khaira - Letestu - Yamamoto

Klefbom - Larsson
Russell - Benning
Simpson - Fayne

Talbot
Brossoit

Projected Hurricanes Lineup:

Teravainen - Staal - Williams
Aho - Rask - Lindholm
Saarela - Necas - Kuokkanen
Nordstrom - Wallmark - Jooris

Slavin - Faulk
Hanifin - Pesce
Bean - van Riemsdyk

Darling
Smith

Easily the most complete line-up the Oilers have iced. Puljujarvi moving up, Strome moving down.

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/preview-oilers-vs-hurricanes /c-291332872

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pre-Season Game 6 - Hurricanes @ Oilers [message #699255 is a reply to message #699254 ]
Mon, 25 September 2017 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

1 Cup

I have a feeling that unless someone absolutely takes hold of spots, I think the RW spot on top 3 lines will change during the year. I think McLellan is big into pairs. I think the pairs are McDavid - Maroon, Leon-Lucic, Nuge - Jokinen. Regardless of who's on the RW spots, those lines look pretty damn good to me. I think the only change we will see is Kassian in for Yamamoto. The 3rd pairing on defense will be Nurse and Gryba on opening night.

I know some people say you can't read a ton into preseason and I agree with them to some degree. However, in my opinion if the goal is to be a winning team and winning organization, the expectation has to be that you are trying to win every game.

[Updated on: Mon, 25 September 2017 13:33]

Re: Pre-Season Game 6 - Hurricanes @ Oilers [message #699256 is a reply to message #699254 ]
Mon, 25 September 2017 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

1 Cup

Huge game, winning this pre-season game will avenge the Stanley Cup Final loss in 2006.

All the tears and hardships after that event will be forgiven.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Pre-Season Game 6 - Hurricanes @ Oilers [message #699257 is a reply to message #699254 ]
Mon, 25 September 2017 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Hopefully Pulju can follow up that last game. This team looks a hell of a lot better if he is playing well enough to get consistent looks on the 1st line.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Pre-Season Game 6 - Hurricanes @ Oilers [message #699258 is a reply to message #699254 ]
Mon, 25 September 2017 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Some interesting stuff about Pulju coming out now that the kid can sit down and talk with reporters.

https://oilersnation.com/2017/09/25/gdb-3-0-oilers-and-hurri canes-close-to-nhl-lineups/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_mediu m=twitter

Quote:

Thing I didn’t know: Jesse Puljujarvi moved away from home at 13 and he lived in his own apartment while he went to school and played hockey. “It was good. About 15 of us lived in the building. We had parents come every few days and make meals.” Puljujarvi grew up in a small Finnish town and he had to move to play more competitive hockey. Imagine being a parent and having your 13-year-old move away from home and live on his own — that’s just as tough as being the teenager on his own. The difference is most of us as teenagers thought we were mature enough to handle it. Puljujarvi really enjoyed it “I had many good friends. It was a lot of fun.”

Spector had some similar stuff. How he grew up in a small town where speaking English wasn't really common. All Finnish kids I believe have to learn English in school, it's part of the curriculum, but if there is no one at all around for you to speak it to, aside from just in some classes, I imagine it's a damn hard thing to remember and maintain. Even harder if you just don't care about it aside from getting your passing mark in school for the course. I know i don't remember a lick of french after taking it for years in school. And who knows how much effort the teachers put in to teach it in small towns knowing no one cares to learn it or will use it. Could be like Mrs. Garrison teaching evolution (before she met Mr. Dawkins of course) :)

Oh well though, it gave him a little handicap coming to the NHL, but he's overcoming it.

[Updated on: Mon, 25 September 2017 14:45]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Pre-Season Game 6 - Hurricanes @ Oilers [message #699259 is a reply to message #699258 ]
Mon, 25 September 2017 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

With everything that Puljujarvi had to overcome just to come over here, I am a little surprised how there are some Oilers fans so ready to call him a bust. Imagine if you as a person move across the world for a job. You don't know anyone, the culture is different, the food is different and you can't speak the language. How hard would it be to adjust and do well in your job if you can't understand or talk to anyone? Your boss is trying to help you, give you advice and pointers and you don't have a clue what he is saying or what he wants. I personally think there is a hell of a player there he just needs a chance to adjust and get comfortable. He's 6'4, 211 lbs. He probably hasn't even totally filled out or grew into his body yet and he's only 19. Wait another year or 2 when he has his man strength.

[Updated on: Mon, 25 September 2017 14:51]

Re: Pre-Season Game 6 - Hurricanes @ Oilers [message #699260 is a reply to message #699259 ]
Mon, 25 September 2017 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 25 September 2017 14:47

With everything that Puljujarvi had to overcome just to come over here, I am a little surprised how there are some Oilers fans so ready to call him a bust. Imagine if you as a person move across the world for a job. You don't know anyone, the culture is different, the food is different and you can't speak the language. How hard would it be to adjust and do well in your job if you can't understand or talk to anyone? Your boss is trying to help you, give you advice and pointers and you don't have a clue what he is saying or what he wants. I personally think there is a hell of a player there he just needs a chance to adjust and get comfortable.

Think for Pulju it's easy to make the comparison to Laine. I didn't know Pulju was so behind "normal" (for a typical Fin player with aspirations of playing the NHL) in his English though. Since English is mandatory in Finland education, all these kids that come from more populated areas are way ahead of the game compared to where Pulju was. That's Pulju's bad to some degree, there was certainly no one stopping him from taking it upon himself to learn, but his situation of moving away from home and living with a bunch of guys that probably came from similar situations as him (probably all with zero hope of making the NHL aside from him), doesn't seem like a situation that would lend itself to him learning and practising his English either.

Wonder if this played a part in Kekalainen passing on Pulju. Seeing a kid that was really not at all prepared to head to NA and properly take direction. Plus Pulju has his heavy Bandy background that really does not lend itself well at all to the NA style of game. Big language barrier, big play style barrier.

[Updated on: Mon, 25 September 2017 14:57]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Pre-Season Game 6 - Hurricanes @ Oilers [message #699261 is a reply to message #699260 ]
Mon, 25 September 2017 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

I think Laine is a much different player. I thought the scouting report on Laine is he is a pure offensive player where as Puljujarvi was more of an all around player. Regardless, I think there is a big time player in Puljujarvi. Unlike Yak who has offensive skill but I believe has really weak hockey sense and no clue about the defensive size. I see a lot of hockey sense in Puljujarvi, he knows where to go. He's already got a good sense of the defensive size. He just needs to play with some confidence offensively. As soon as he got bumped up to McDavid's line and he made that sweet touch pass that resulted in a goal, his confidence went sky high and he was fantastic.

Re: Pre-Season Game 6 - Hurricanes @ Oilers [message #699262 is a reply to message #699261 ]
Mon, 25 September 2017 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 25 September 2017 15:12

I think Laine is a much different player. I thought the scouting report on Laine is he is a pure offensive player where as Puljujarvi was more of an all around player. Regardless, I think there is a big time player in Puljujarvi. Unlike Yak who has offensive skill but I believe has really weak hockey sense and no clue about the defensive size. I see a lot of hockey sense in Puljujarvi, he knows where to go. He's already got a good sense of the defensive size. He just needs to play with some confidence offensively. As soon as he got bumped up to McDavid's line and he made that sweet touch pass that resulted in a goal, his confidence went sky high and he was fantastic.

I think Laine also showed a must quicker adaptation to the NHL game. He started finding the open ice, started to make decisions as quickly as he needed to, and became dangerous all over the place.

Everything you would worry about Pulju knowing his background was seem last year. The language barrier was huge, he couldn't take direction well because he just didn't know what he was being told to do. He was skating huge circles to change directions to try to get back into the play like you would playing a slower style game on a huge ice surface or playing Bandy. He wasn't stopping and starting like he should, wasn't really going to the net like he should, wasn't getting anywhere close to proper body position battling for pucks on the boards, he thought he could hold onto the puck much longer than he could.

If he just kept to his ways of last year, and/or ended up being not bright enough to catch onto English very well after neglecting his through his youth, the guy could have busted very easily. There were certainly big risks there. I really really hope he can make Kekalainen regret his decision though. Think he's taken some huge steps from last year.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Pre-Season Game 6 - Hurricanes @ Oilers [message #699263 is a reply to message #699261 ]
Mon, 25 September 2017 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

I swear I saw someone posted a video on this site where it was Puljujarvi and Laine going head to head in a skills competition during their draft year and Puljujarvi won like 4 out of the 5 competitions.

Obviously it doesn't translate to in game success but I've always thought with the right care that Jesse could beccome an impact player in this League. I don't see why he can't be considered in the same sentence as Laine.

Re: Pre-Season Game 6 - Hurricanes @ Oilers [message #699264 is a reply to message #699263 ]
Mon, 25 September 2017 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

WhoreableGuy wrote on Mon, 25 September 2017 15:34

I swear I saw someone posted a video on this site where it was Puljujarvi and Laine going head to head in a skills competition during their draft year and Puljujarvi won like 4 out of the 5 competitions.

Obviously it doesn't translate to in game success but I've always thought with the right care that Jesse could beccome an impact player in this League. I don't see why he can't be considered in the same sentence as Laine.

I believe there was a time when Piljujarvi was ranked ahead of Laine but Laine really came on in the last half of their draft year. I think both are going to be excellent players. Laine will just be more flashy.

Re: Pre-Season Game 6 - Hurricanes @ Oilers [message #699284 is a reply to message #699261 ]
Mon, 25 September 2017 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

4 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 25 September 2017 15:12

Sounds like a description of Paajarvi.

Interesting.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.

2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.

Re: Pre-Season Game 6 - Hurricanes @ Oilers [message #699286 is a reply to message #699261 ]
Mon, 25 September 2017 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 25 September 2017 14:12

He just needs to play with some confidence offensively.

And this pretty much sums up what drives me nuts about the Oilers in a nutshell. How is keeping him on the big club for 28 games doing anything at all last year to help his confidence? He scored 1 goal and looked pretty lost a lot of nights. Then they send him to the AHL, now he's got to adapt to a whole new team, new coach, new city. And he still doesn't speak very good English. Whereas if they had just sent him to the AHL from the start, maybe he gains some comfort earlier against lesser competition and he lights up the AHL the 2nd half of the season. And maybe he comes into camp a better, more confident player this year.

But we'll never know because the Oilers are obsessed with treating every 1st round pick like a shiny new toy that they need to play with until it falls apart. I'm not saying that Puljujarvi is a bust or that he won't turn into a good player, but it seemed pretty obvious very early on that he wasn't ready.

Re: Pre-Season Game 6 - Hurricanes @ Oilers [message #699265 is a reply to message #699254 ]
Mon, 25 September 2017 19:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

1 Cup

Any TV on this? No feed showing up on Game Center.

Re: Pre-Season Game 6 - Hurricanes @ Oilers [message #699266 is a reply to message #699265 ]
Mon, 25 September 2017 19:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

5 Cups

jds308 wrote on Mon, 25 September 2017 19:11

If you're in Edmonton, you can watch it live on Oilers TV (NHL.com) at the following link:

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/video/live-hurricanes-at-oilers/t -277437406/c-52658403

If you get on now, you can see the Oil having to deal with a 5-on-3 PK thanks to calls against Cags and JJ.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Pre-Season Game 6 - Hurricanes @ Oilers [message #699267 is a reply to message #699266 ]
Mon, 25 September 2017 19:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Annnd, there the Canes score on the 5-on-3 after a failed attempt by Testudo to clear the zone.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Pre-Season Game 6 - Hurricanes @ Oilers [message #699268 is a reply to message #699267 ]
Mon, 25 September 2017 19:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

So far, this has been a stinky period for the Oil. I can see TMac blistering the locker room walls at the first intermission. Yeah, it's preseason, but this is just bad so far.

5-14-6-1

Re: Pre-Season Game 6 - Hurricanes @ Oilers [message #699269 is a reply to message #699268 ]
Mon, 25 September 2017 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

It could be a sign of a good team that they could play so piss-poorly and yet be tied this late in the period. Good effort by Strome to get the goal off the greasy rebound.

5-14-6-1

Re: Pre-Season Game 6 - Hurricanes @ Oilers [message #699270 is a reply to message #699269 ]
Mon, 25 September 2017 19:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

Talbot playing his tush off, but no support from anyone. Absolutely brutal so far. JP and Yamamoto back to earth playing against actual NHLers.

Re: Pre-Season Game 6 - Hurricanes @ Oilers [message #699271 is a reply to message #699270 ]
Mon, 25 September 2017 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Mon, 25 September 2017 19:48

Talbot playing his tush off, but no support from anyone. Absolutely brutal so far. JP and Yamamoto back to earth playing against actual NHLers.

At least Kailer has been putting in the effort. Not surprisingly, the ones playing the hardest are the ones still fighting for rosters spots. Hopefully, the incumbents get off their asses and start following their example.

5-14-6-1

Re: Pre-Season Game 6 - Hurricanes @ Oilers [message #699273 is a reply to message #699266 ]
Mon, 25 September 2017 20:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Ragnarok73 wrote on Mon, 25 September 2017 18:21

If you're in Edmonton, you can watch it live on Oilers TV (NHL.com) at the following link:

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/video/live-hurricanes-at-oilers/t -277437406/c-52658403

If you get on now, you can see the Oil having to deal with a 5-on-3 PK thanks to calls against Cags and JJ.

Ah, ic. Blacked out in BC. Listening to Staufer call the game on Ched. By the sounds of it, glad I don’t have to see this one.

Re: Pre-Season Game 6 - Hurricanes @ Oilers [message #699274 is a reply to message #699273 ]
Mon, 25 September 2017 20:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

jds308 wrote on Mon, 25 September 2017 20:17

Ragnarok73 wrote on Mon, 25 September 2017 18:21

Ah, ic. Blacked out in BC. Listening to Staufer call the game on Ched. By the sounds of it, glad I don’t have to see this one.

To be fair, the Oil have played a better game so far in the 2nd, so TMac obviously said something during the intermission. Kailer's just been put on a line with Connor, and he's already been a firebrand as a result.

5-14-6-1

Re: Pre-Season Game 6 - Hurricanes @ Oilers [message #699275 is a reply to message #699274 ]
Mon, 25 September 2017 20:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

And of course, as I say that, the Oil give up a SH goal off an uncharacteristically bad turnover by Cambot followed up with another Cags penalty to negate the rest of their first PP. icon_neutral

5-14-6-1

Re: Pre-Season Game 6 - Hurricanes @ Oilers [message #699276 is a reply to message #699275 ]
Mon, 25 September 2017 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike is currently online Mike

4 Cups

First game I watch this pre-season...I'm just going to turn it off now. boom

Re: Pre-Season Game 6 - Hurricanes @ Oilers [message #699277 is a reply to message #699276 ]
Mon, 25 September 2017 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Mon, 25 September 2017 20:37

First game I watch this pre-season...I'm just going to turn it off now. boom

Hope you didn't miss that sweet tip by Yamamoto.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Pre-Season Game 6 - Hurricanes @ Oilers [message #699278 is a reply to message #699275 ]
Mon, 25 September 2017 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Ragnarok73 wrote on Mon, 25 September 2017 19:30

And of course, as I say that, the Oil give up a SH goal off an uncharacteristically bad turnover by Cambot followed up with another Cags penalty to negate the rest of their first PP. icon_neutral

Get the stinker out of the way in the preseason. Knock them down a peg, keep them hungry for the Flames on opening night.

Re: Pre-Season Game 6 - Hurricanes @ Oilers [message #699272 is a reply to message #699254 ]
Mon, 25 September 2017 19:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

2 Cups

Woof.

Well, probably good for them to have their lunch handed to them for some time this preseason.
2-1 is flattering after that period. Good work on the goal from everyone involved, but that's it.

Re: Pre-Season Game 6 - Hurricanes @ Oilers [message #699279 is a reply to message #699254 ]
Mon, 25 September 2017 20:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Yamamoto still looking fully competent out there... What are we gonna do with this kid?

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Pre-Season Game 6 - Hurricanes @ Oilers [message #699285 is a reply to message #699279 ]
Mon, 25 September 2017 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 25 September 2017 19:45

Yamamoto still looking fully competent out there... What are we gonna do with this kid?

You still have to send him down. The NHL season is a grind. I'm all for the team being a meritocracy, but you've got to be realistic about his ability to survive against a guy like Giordano playing him all-out.

Re: Pre-Season Game 6 - Hurricanes @ Oilers [message #699288 is a reply to message #699285 ]
Tue, 26 September 2017 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Mon, 25 September 2017 22:52

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 25 September 2017 19:45

You still have to send him down. The NHL season is a grind. I'm all for the team being a meritocracy, but you've got to be realistic about his ability to survive against a guy like Giordano playing him all-out.

I'd like to send him down too, but if he keeps playing like he is, seems like a guarantee he is getting some NHL games.

We will all be praying he doesn't get flattened :) Not sure about the Brule comparison from Adam. Brule was a pretty careless player if I recall correctly. Bull rush into everything. Gross to say, but Yamamoto is much more like Gaudreau. Keeps his head up, knows how to pick his spots. Kid has been the smallest guy on the ice for years already. If he didn't know how to survive he never would have been drafted.

Secretly hoping the kid has a little lull soon so everyone can pump the breaks. Seems to be a big media following pumping this kid up now and McLellan took part last night in his post game presser. But at the same time...if he shows no sign of slowing down...and he looks good and smart handling himself in a handful of NHL games, and he's contributing to wins...what does McLellan do? :)

[Updated on: Tue, 26 September 2017 08:51]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Pre-Season Game 6 - Hurricanes @ Oilers [message #699280 is a reply to message #699254 ]
Mon, 25 September 2017 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Dang. Looks like we won't pull off the Colorado pre-season sweep.

Vets lookin like turds out there tonight. Pulju in Yakupov-mode. Yamamoto and Simpson are the only guys that seems to be taking this game seriously, as they should.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Pre-Season Game 6 - Hurricanes @ Oilers [message #699283 is a reply to message #699280 ]
Mon, 25 September 2017 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

So 90% of our NHL team gets steamrolled by 50% of Carolina's NHL team...buuuut it's still pre-season so it doesn't really matter.

Ah well, on to the next one.

As for Yamamoto, I'm still for sending him to junior at the end of camp. I don't want to risk having him hurt at the NHL level and really setting him back. Gotta remember Gilbert Brule's 18-year old season. Good camp, made the Blue Jackets, played 5 or 6 games and then got pasted because he was an undersized 18-year old rookie. Ended his season, and who know what that did to his career.

I don't think keeping Yamamoto up has any real tangible benefits. I don't believe there's a huge advantage from "getting a taste" when you're not ready. It's just a risk the team doesn't need to take. Maybe at the end of the year when his junior team is done if he's put on a little weight.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #ChiaOnNotice

Re: Pre-Season Game 6 - Hurricanes @ Oilers [message #699287 is a reply to message #699283 ]
Tue, 26 September 2017 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 25 September 2017 22:32

So 90% of our NHL team gets steamrolled by 50% of Carolina's NHL team...buuuut it's still pre-season so it doesn't really matter.

Ah well, on to the next one.

As for Yamamoto, I'm still for sending him to junior at the end of camp. I don't want to risk having him hurt at the NHL level and really setting him back. Gotta remember Gilbert Brule's 18-year old season. Good camp, made the Blue Jackets, played 5 or 6 games and then got pasted because he was an undersized 18-year old rookie. Ended his season, and who know what that did to his career.

I don't think keeping Yamamoto up has any real tangible benefits. I don't believe there's a huge advantage from "getting a taste" when you're not ready. It's just a risk the team doesn't need to take. Maybe at the end of the year when his junior team is done if he's put on a little weight.

Kailer looked good, but I'm perfectly fine with seeing sent back down, as a little more seasoning couldn't hurt him. As for the rest of the team: they really didn't put much effort into tonight in a very obvious way. Preseason laziness for the incumbents, I'm thinking.

5-14-6-1

Re: Pre-Season Game 6 - Hurricanes @ Oilers [message #699293 is a reply to message #699283 ]
Tue, 26 September 2017 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

No Cups

I dont know. I was one before preseason that said I didnt care what he did, send him down.
He is making me question that wisdom and I am sure he is making it really tough on the team to cut him.
I know it is just preseason but he has played well on any line, in any situation.

Just for cap reasons I think it is best to send him down but pretty much every other RW with a sniff of helping our top six has been underwhelming at best.

To your comment on weight. The "putting on man strength and weight" was another thing I said.
Then I got thinking. Barring a late growth spurt to 6 feet, how much weight is he going to put on that would make him not tiny? Guys like RNH, Ebs and the rest of the "smurfs" were a minimum of 2 inches taller and had trouble pushing up to 200 pounds.
If KM goes to junior and puts on 10 pounds is he any safer at 160? Any more than that and I doubt he could keep the same quickness he has now.

Oilers have put themselves in a but of a rock and a hard place. He has been our best RW and it hasnt been close. They are in the cup window, how do you send him down? What does that say to other guys? JP and Strome sure havent shown me anything to earn it.

"My wife told me Edmonton was going to win the pick that day," said Gretzky. "That was the day that I retired 16 years ago. So, she said, for whatever reason, the Oilers have good luck today. Connor McDavid went to Edmonton."

Re: Pre-Season Game 6 - Hurricanes @ Oilers [message #699294 is a reply to message #699293 ]
Tue, 26 September 2017 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

PlusOne wrote on Tue, 26 September 2017 15:05

how much weight is he going to put on that would make him not tiny? Guys like RNH, Ebs and the rest of the "smurfs" were a minimum of 2 inches taller and had trouble pushing up to 200 pounds.
If KM goes to junior and puts on 10 pounds is he any safer at 160? Any more than that and I doubt he could keep the same quickness he has now.

Oilers have put themselves in a but of a rock and a hard place. He has been our best RW and it hasnt been close. They are in the cup window, how do you send him down? What does that say to other guys? JP and Strome sure havent shown me anything to earn it.

To me it's not about size so much as it is about strength. From what I know about the CHL and their strength programs, it's pretty substandard. If a guy like Gaudreau is the comparison, the difference is that he spent 3 years in the NCAA playing 40 games a season and the rest of the time in the gym with a full-time strength coach and first class facilities. So I think another year and especially another offseason of just getting stronger could have a big impact. It's one thing to look good in pre-season when it's not always super physical/vets are just getting up to speed, and totally another to go up against guys like Giordano, Vlasic, etc. playing you hard for 18-20min a night.

And I agree with you that the Oilers have put themselves in this position. Who could have thought that taking 3 guys (Slep, Caggiula, Puljujarvi) who don't have combined 20 goals in their careers (+ Strome) and gifting them top-6 positions and expecting them to become 20 goal scorers would have risk involved?

Re: Pre-Season Game 6 - Hurricanes @ Oilers [message #699295 is a reply to message #699294 ]
Tue, 26 September 2017 18:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Goose wrote on Tue, 26 September 2017 16:27

PlusOne wrote on Tue, 26 September 2017 15:05

how much weight is he going to put on that would make him not tiny? Guys like RNH, Ebs and the rest of the "smurfs" were a minimum of 2 inches taller and had trouble pushing up to 200 pounds.

To me it's not about size so much as it is about strength. From what I know about the CHL and their strength programs, it's pretty substandard. If a guy like Gaudreau is the comparison, the difference is that he spent 3 years in the NCAA playing 40 games a season and the rest of the time in the gym with a full-time strength coach and first class facilities. So I think another year and especially another offseason of just getting stronger could have a big impact. It's one thing to look good in pre-season when it's not always super physical/vets are just getting up to speed, and totally another to go up against guys like Giordano, Vlasic, etc. playing you hard for 18-20min a night.

And I agree with you that the Oilers have put themselves in this position. Who could have thought that taking 3 guys (Slep, Caggiula, Puljujarvi) who don't have combined 20 goals in their careers (+ Strome) and gifting them top-6 positions and expecting them to become 20 goal scorers would have risk involved?

I think I remember hearing that Gaudreau weighed around 135 pounds when he was drafted. I dont really want to compare the two given the different paths but it is tough not to.
Do I think it is possible that Yamo gets stronger after a year back in junior? Sure, I think he might.
I suppose my biggest thing is we are at a point where we should be(almost have to before the major cap crunch) icing the very best team possible.
I think I am at the point that I would keep him until someone outworks/outperforms him and he loses the spot.

As far as the strength programs in junior I have heard the same. I can only speak for the Pats here in Regina, while it has improved since my day it is still a joke. Last I heard the outsourced to to a gym in town. The gym was founded by a couple of ex riders and focuses on performance training not just building muscle but it is still a far cry from a professional in house program.

Lastly, if the Oilers fail and the right side is a question mark all year I will go from being annoyed by some of Chia contracts and trades to flat out livid. It is another one of those "smartest people in the room" things that everyone seems to see but the people in charge

"My wife told me Edmonton was going to win the pick that day," said Gretzky. "That was the day that I retired 16 years ago. So, she said, for whatever reason, the Oilers have good luck today. Connor McDavid went to Edmonton."

Re: Pre-Season Game 6 - Hurricanes @ Oilers [message #699298 is a reply to message #699293 ]
Tue, 26 September 2017 19:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Tue, 26 September 2017 16:05

I dont know. I was one before preseason that said I didnt care what he did, send him down.
He is making me question that wisdom and I am sure he is making it really tough on the team to cut him.
I know it is just preseason but he has played well on any line, in any situation.

Just for cap reasons I think it is best to send him down but pretty much every other RW with a sniff of helping our top six has been underwhelming at best.

To your comment on weight. The "putting on man strength and weight" was another thing I said.
Then I got thinking. Barring a late growth spurt to 6 feet, how much weight is he going to put on that would make him not tiny? Guys like RNH, Ebs and the rest of the "smurfs" were a minimum of 2 inches taller and had trouble pushing up to 200 pounds.

With Yamamoto as with everyone else, I don't make a decision based on camp. It could just be a hot streak, and a lot of it has come against substandard opponents. It's a great up arrow for the future, but I don't believe it likely to be sustainable for an undersized 18 year old and I worry about what happens if he does get labelled. I prefer playing it a little safe.

If the right wingers don't add enough, then make a trade or pick up someone on waivers to bolster the position. Do what's right for the kid, and don't read too much in to a very small sample size.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #ChiaOnNotice

Re: Pre-Season Game 6 - Hurricanes @ Oilers [message #699300 is a reply to message #699298 ]
Tue, 26 September 2017 21:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 26 September 2017 19:26

PlusOne wrote on Tue, 26 September 2017 16:05

With Yamamoto as with everyone else, I don't make a decision based on camp. It could just be a hot streak, and a lot of it has come against substandard opponents. It's a great up arrow for the future, but I don't believe it likely to be sustainable for an undersized 18 year old and I worry about what happens if he does get labelled. I prefer playing it a little safe.

If the right wingers don't add enough, then make a trade or pick up someone on waivers to bolster the position. Do what's right for the kid, and don't read too much in to a very small sample size.

I agree about not over-reacting to preseason but I also want to see guys compete for spots. Looking at our RW list;
- Strome has been underwhelming. He has been extremely slow. Not sure if that is the case or if he isnt putting in the effort. Either way it is a huge concern.
- JP has been inconsistent. He shows flashes of top 6 ability but dont think he is ready.
- Kassian has been Kassian, that is a good bottom 6 winger.
- Drake has been playing some RW and looked better there than any of the afformentioned
- Iiro is a borderline NHL'er, will make a good 13th forward and bottom 6 fill in.

That leaves Yamo. He has been the most consistent of the group. Has definitely has the best effort (given that he should given what he has to prove)

Some thoughts on "doing whats right for the kid"
- are you sure sending him down is best? (I know a loaded question as it is a best guess) Especially given my opinions above? What message does it send to tell him you have outplayed everyone in what was considered a tryout?
- Outside of him being small what reason is there to send him down?
- I am at the point where I dont even care if they burn a year of his deal, if he earns a spot he earns a spot. Years of watching players being gifted and promised spots has made me eager to see a guy come in and flat out force them to keep him.

ETA
I meant to address the comment about adding an RW. I have lost all faith that Chia and Co actually see the RW as a problem and will wait until it is too late to address anything. I think there is a better chance of;
step 1. Force feed Strome minutes in the top 6, specifically with McDavid
step 2. Try anyone who can skate in that spot hoping to catch some Maroon lightning again.
step 3. Panic around mid season and move Draisaitl back with McDavid

[Updated on: Tue, 26 September 2017 21:15]

Re: Pre-Season Game 6 - Hurricanes @ Oilers [message #699301 is a reply to message #699300 ]
Tue, 26 September 2017 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

Step 3

Limecat Logic

Re: Pre-Season Game 6 - Hurricanes @ Oilers [message #699304 is a reply to message #699301 ]
Wed, 27 September 2017 10:32 Go to previous message

1 Cup

g2k wrote on Tue, 26 September 2017 22:05

Step 3

http://vienna.impacthub.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/41/2016/08/STEP3-1.gif

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:More Cuts
Next Topic:Pre-Season Game 5 - Jets @ Oilers
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2017.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca