This day on September 20
None

Happy Birthday To: dk19, mabfan, nemorrison, oilfan94, hackm, oilchamp_34, kev9in, SuperOilerFan

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Howson is back
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Howson is back [message #697177]
Sun, 02 July 2017 12:12 Go to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

6 Cups

VP Player Development

crazy

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Howson is back [message #697178 is a reply to message #697177 ]
Sun, 02 July 2017 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

5 Cups

nullterm wrote on Sun, 02 July 2017 12:12

VP Player Development

crazy

Seriously, Katz and Co need to pry their useless noses out of the Oil's business. Really? icon_rolleyes

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Howson is back [message #697179 is a reply to message #697178 ]
Sun, 02 July 2017 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

4 Cups

lmao rofl cry boom deadhorse

Is this for real? Yup - just googled...oh my.

Re: Howson is back [message #697180 is a reply to message #697177 ]
Sun, 02 July 2017 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vsove  is currently offline vsove

No Cups

Enjoy the cronyism! It's only nepotism if they're related.

What a Mickey Mouse organization.

No Mo' Lowe

Re: Howson is back [message #697183 is a reply to message #697177 ]
Sun, 02 July 2017 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

VP Player Development

crazy

He was at the draft too already as a consultant. This org just can't help themselves.

Although, maybe this will result in a nice constant flow of D being developed that can play anywhere from #1 to #6D. One can hope.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Howson is back [message #697184 is a reply to message #697183 ]
Sun, 02 July 2017 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 02 July 2017 11:59

VP Player Development

crazy

He was at the draft too already as a consultant. This org just can't help themselves.

Although, maybe this will result in a nice constant flow of D being developed that can play anywhere from #1 to #6D. One can hope.

Nikita Nikitin's NHL dream just got upgraded from dead to on life support.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Howson is back [message #697187 is a reply to message #697177 ]
Sun, 02 July 2017 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

5 Cups

Howson has been a failure everywhere he goes.

That's it, reward ineptitude Oilers, bravo.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $3.1 M

Re: Howson is back [message #697189 is a reply to message #697177 ]
Sun, 02 July 2017 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

4 Cups

How is this a good idea, son?

Re: Howson is back [message #697192 is a reply to message #697177 ]
Sun, 02 July 2017 17:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AndersonRules  is currently offline AndersonRules

No Cups

Did I Rip van Winkle through April 1? No? Really? This has to be a bad joke, doesn't it? Or is it a nightmare? O dear ... can the Oilers even screw the pooch with a generational talent on board?

Re: Howson is back [message #697193 is a reply to message #697192 ]
Sun, 02 July 2017 18:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh  is currently offline Babaganoosh

1 Cup

Well I guess Adam will be busy changing his signature again. Lord thundering Jesus, our Braintrust must be daft. Hire me. I relocated the Phoenix Coyotes to Seattle and won two cups in seven seasons in NHL 17. More of a track record then this habitual loser.

[Updated on: Sun, 02 July 2017 18:20]

" If you have anything good to say, say it off!"

Re: Howson is back [message #697196 is a reply to message #697193 ]
Sun, 02 July 2017 19:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Babaganoosh wrote on Sun, 02 July 2017 18:18

Well I guess Adam will be busy changing his signature again. Lord thundering Jesus, our Braintrust must be daft. Hire me. I relocated the Phoenix Coyotes to Seattle and won two cups in seven seasons in NHL 17. More of a track record then this habitual loser.

Fortunately, they've telegraphed this move for months...Howson was turning up as games as a scout for the Oilers and then was at the draft as a consultent/executive. I put him back on my signature already.

As I said yesterday, no one does optics like the Oilers.

Who knows though - maybe there was an exhaustive interview process and Howson was just the best candidate?

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #ChiaOnNotice

Re: Howson is back [message #697198 is a reply to message #697196 ]
Sun, 02 July 2017 19:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Sun, 02 July 2017 19:12

Fortunately, they've telegraphed this move for months...Howson was turning up as games as a scout for the Oilers and then was at the draft as a consultent/executive. I put him back on my signature already.

Who knows though - maybe there was an exhaustive interview process and Howson was just the best candidate?

How can you argue with his references? A 4 time cup winner and EMBA holder who climbed his way up from coach (one finals appearance) to GM to SVP of hockey ops in the NHL called him "one of the best evaluators of talent that is out there". How many guys can say that about themselves?

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Howson is back [message #697199 is a reply to message #697198 ]
Sun, 02 July 2017 20:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

....It would be fascinating to see an up-to date organizational chart for the Edmonton Oilers....seems like there are numerous vice presidents, assistant general managers....

...I thought Keith Gretzky was the Assistant General Manager,(or, at least, one of the Assistant General Managers,along with Craig MacTavish)

not sure if this source is at all useful....says Howson looking for work as of approximately August 1,2016, but now I don't know if Howson's employment was ever terminated by the Oilers

https://www.coppernblue.com/news-and-notes/2016/8/2/12353518 /oilers-keith-gretzky-assistant-gneral-manager-chiarelli-how son-mactavish

Re: Howson is back [message #697201 is a reply to message #697198 ]
Sun, 02 July 2017 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 02 July 2017 19:22

Adam wrote on Sun, 02 July 2017 19:12

How can you argue with his references? A 4 time cup winner and EMBA holder who climbed his way up from coach (one finals appearance) to GM to SVP of hockey ops in the NHL called him "one of the best evaluators of talent that is out there". How many guys can say that about themselves?

You didn't even mention the other reference...one of the winningest players in hockey management today, and a guy who's held almost every role possible within an NHL organization. Someone who takes no part in hockey discussions, but likely sits in every hockey operations meeting and provides his advice and feedback.

Re: Howson is back [message #697195 is a reply to message #697177 ]
Sun, 02 July 2017 18:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

I think Howson was in charge of Team Canada Junior selection scouting a couple years and I remember thinking "oh no" ..they never won..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Howson is back [message #697224 is a reply to message #697195 ]
Mon, 03 July 2017 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 02 July 2017 17:35

I think Howson was in charge of Team Canada Junior selection scouting a couple years and I remember thinking "oh no" ..they never won..

Actually I'm wrong there, it was Prendergast. 4 years, lost each year.

http://wheatkings.com/kevin-prendergast-hired-as-head-scout- of-hockey-canada-s-men-s-program-of-excellence/

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/hockey-canada- parts-ways-with-head-scout-kevin-prendergast/article12138445 /

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Howson is back [message #697197 is a reply to message #697177 ]
Sun, 02 July 2017 19:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Unacceptable. We are simply not fans of a professional hockey organization.

Re: Howson is back [message #697200 is a reply to message #697177 ]
Sun, 02 July 2017 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

It alllllllmost sounded here as if a member of the Oilers MSM was going to actually challenge the team management on running itself like an amusement park carousel.

https://oilersnation.com/2017/07/02/the-way-i-see-it-scott-h owson-and-benoit-pouliot/

Quote:

It’s some less-than-astute moves, or at least his contribution to them years later under GM Craig MacTavish, that got Howson run off last August.

Yet, here we are just 11 months later and Howson has been named Edmonton’s vice-president of player development. It’s like Howson never left. In some ways, he didn’t. While were told last summer that Howson was “moving on,” he’s been doing work for the team in pro scouting and as a consultant since then. That’s not my definition of moving on. Is it yours?

All the above makes last August’s announcement seem like a PR move more than anything else. You know, placate the public by jettisoning those who had a hand in some unquestionably bad hockey decisions during the Decade of Darkness. No question, Howson’s fingerprints were on some of those. So, move people out or around. Change things up for public consumption.

Brownlee had some of these thoughts in his tweets early on after the Howson announcement too. But he quickly returned to the fold with the very next paragraph.

Quote:

That said, even if Howson’s exit was contrived, I’m not going to pretend I’m smarter than Chiarelli and crap all over the move to bring him back. I guess you can call that confirmation bias because, like I said, I thought Howson was very effective as a second-banana to Lowe for many years. He simply had a bad stretch here after returning from CBJ as the Oilers approached a decade out of the playoffs. Then again, who didn’t?

Obviously, Chiarelli thinks enough of Howson after his years running the show in Columbus and during their relatively brief overlap in management here, to bring him back and make him part of the current management team. Good idea? Bad idea? I don’t have that answer. Might MacTavish and Howson be better suited and more effective in lesser roles as underlings to Chiarelli than they were at the top of the management chain? The boss seems to think so. I’ll go with that.

I tell you, there's no feeling amongst Oilers management that there is anything wrong doing things like this. The scouting staff still includes Chiarelli's brother. Kevin Lowe got to give his son a shiny new contract. Anyone from the Old Boy's Club gets to boomerang back again and again (and there's a question if Howson actually ever left, or if the Oilers just claimed he did, which is flat our weird.)

In other cities, someone might actually call out the team management for this sort of practice (malpractice?) But not in Edmonton. Here it's "yeah, he did make some mistakes, but you don't get ten years of misery without a few missteps. They all made mistakes...why should that impact their employment status?" The media here are just more of the Old Boys...you don't criticize your fellow Club members.

Just as with Keegan Lowe, the question remains - was there no one else out there in the hockey world that could have done this job equally as well or better and not made the team look guilty of cronyism?

Also, some interesting conclusions from Brownlee on Russell and Pouliot at the end of his article. If you don't agree with his opinion, you're just wrong. I wonder if he threw it in there as a smokescreen so that the comments would fill up with arguments on Russell rather than a discussion of the Oilers continued retention of the true "core" of the team.

Re: Howson is back [message #697222 is a reply to message #697200 ]
Mon, 03 July 2017 20:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

That article made me angry. If you are going to take out your sword, don't put it back in the holster 3 paragraphs later.

Also, holy crap at the Pouliot vs Lucic thing. If Lucic matches Pouliot in either amount of games, that is still a failure. Lucic makes 2M more than Pouliot, he should be exceeding his production. How hard is that to see?

The MSM seems worse than ever. Somebody needs to question these guys.

Re: Howson is back [message #697235 is a reply to message #697222 ]
Tue, 04 July 2017 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Mon, 03 July 2017 20:33

That article made me angry. If you are going to take out your sword, don't put it back in the holster 3 paragraphs later.

Also, holy crap at the Pouliot vs Lucic thing. If Lucic matches Pouliot in either amount of games, that is still a failure. Lucic makes 2M more than Pouliot, he should be exceeding his production. How hard is that to see?

People question the MSM, but they usually get branded with as conspiracy theorists and hate speech aficionados.

Re: Howson is back [message #697268 is a reply to message #697235 ]
Tue, 04 July 2017 16:52 Go to previous message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 04 July 2017 10:16

smyth260 wrote on Mon, 03 July 2017 20:33

People question the MSM, but they usually get branded with as conspiracy theorists and hate speech aficionados.

Would a hate speech aficionado just know a lot about hate speech? Or would they actually have to participate in it?

Re: Howson is back [message #697204 is a reply to message #697177 ]
Mon, 03 July 2017 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve  is currently offline Steve

No Cups

I hope that McDavid can bring us a cup despite the management around him.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Re: Howson is back [message #697209 is a reply to message #697204 ]
Mon, 03 July 2017 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh  is currently offline Babaganoosh

1 Cup

Yeah and I hope some red hot Australian girl takes me home in her pouch but we need to be realistic. Crap flows downhill. How long until our Stars are drowning in it and want a ticket out?

" If you have anything good to say, say it off!"

Re: Howson is back [message #697232 is a reply to message #697177 ]
Tue, 04 July 2017 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again expecting different results.

Wrong hire. (I laughed at Adam's updated signature)

The amount of egoism in this organization is toxic.

The very definition of insanity is doing the same thing expecting different results.

Re: Howson is back [message #697267 is a reply to message #697232 ]
Tue, 04 July 2017 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Tue, 04 July 2017 09:09

The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again expecting different results.

Wrong hire. (I laughed at Adam's updated signature)

The amount of egoism in this organization is toxic.

Do you mean Oilfans?
drink

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Howson is back [message #697238 is a reply to message #697177 ]
Tue, 04 July 2017 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

VP Player Development

crazy

Do the Oilers take their recycling cues from the CFL, or is it the other way around?

Previous Topic:Oilers Sign Ty Rattie
Next Topic:Gregor on Draisaitl & Strome
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2017.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca