This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers Sign Ty RattiePages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Oilers Sign Ty Rattie [message #697128]
Sat, 01 July 2017 10:42 Go to next message
bigEfromGP  is currently offline bigEfromGP

No Cups

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ty_Rattie

As per TSN ticker and Bob McKenzie.

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:17

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:00

The president thinks he has the ideal male body.
It's hard to disagree that he has the ideal male body.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers Sign Ty Rattie [message #697130 is a reply to message #697128 ]
Sat, 01 July 2017 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Looks like an AHL pickup and long shot to be able to play in the NHL. 24 years old now. Had a terrible season last year bouncing around between NHL and AHL, and pretty poor showing in the AHL games he did play.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Oilers Sign Ty Rattie [message #697135 is a reply to message #697128 ]
Sat, 01 July 2017 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Its a two-way, 1 year deal, basically a try-out.
The guy can score, and gritty, he was a force on Portland, always surprised he never made the NHL, but then he was on Chicago, tough roster to crack. Good roll of the dice.

That was wrong, not Chicago.. St. Louis, Rattie made the team out of training camp, then played 4 games in 4 months, Yak took his spot. If Rattie turns into something, we can thank Yak.

[Updated on: Tue, 04 July 2017 21:37]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Oilers Sign Ty Rattie [message #697138 is a reply to message #697128 ]
Sat, 01 July 2017 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
George  is currently offline George

No Cups

Liked him in his draft season, seems a good a depth signing. It'll give Principe something to work with....

Re: Oilers Sign Ty Rattie [message #697140 is a reply to message #697138 ]
Sat, 01 July 2017 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

No Cups

Chia keeps lovin that 2011 draft!

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: Oilers Sign Ty Rattie [message #697271 is a reply to message #697128 ]
Tue, 04 July 2017 18:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

A year younger than Pitlick.

Total win.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Oilers Sign Ty Rattie [message #713479 is a reply to message #697128 ]
Sat, 14 April 2018 19:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Signed again, 1 year 800k

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1527499

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers Sign Ty Rattie [message #713480 is a reply to message #713479 ]
Sat, 14 April 2018 20:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 14 April 2018 19:52

Nothing not to like about this signing. Good for both the player and the team.

If he gets sent to Bakersfield, nothing counts against the cap and Rattie gets paid well to be there. If he sticks in the NHL (and I think he will), then the Oilers finally have a bargain contract, particularly if he continues to produce with McDavid.

FWIW, I'd rather the Oilers find another winger for McDavid and hedge their bets. Rattie showed well for a short period, but he's a gamble there still. I do think, however, that Khaira, Strome, and Rattie would be a decent, affordable third line.

Re: Oilers Sign Ty Rattie [message #713481 is a reply to message #713480 ]
Sat, 14 April 2018 20:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Sat, 14 April 2018 20:00

If he gets sent to Bakersfield, nothing counts against the cap and Rattie gets paid well to be there. If he sticks in the NHL (and I think he will), then the Oilers finally have a bargain contract, particularly if he continues to produce with McDavid.

FWIW, I'd rather the Oilers find another winger for McDavid and hedge their bets. Rattie showed well for a short period, but he's a gamble there still. I do think, however, that Khaira, Strome, and Rattie would be a decent, affordable third line.

Assuming this isn't a "boxed checked" signing, I agree. If the Oilers now think they have an NHL position filled and can now focus on other boxes to check....

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Oilers Sign Ty Rattie [message #713487 is a reply to message #713481 ]
Sat, 14 April 2018 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Here's his comments on Rattie from the other day:

Quote:

Ty Rattie finished his year with the big club, scoring five goals and nine points in 14 games.

"He's a very cerebral player and he moves the puck well," Chiarelli said of Rattie. "He fit in well. Also with Nugent-Hopkins being up there, too, you have three very cerebral players that recognize the need to move the puck up quickly."

Chiarelli said Rattie needed to work on his defensive game before receiving a call-up to the Oilers and noted he's started discussions with the player for next year.

"He had a pretty good year in Bakersfield," he said. "It was a one-dimensional year. We delayed bringing him up. His defensive game for the longest time in Bakersfield struggled. We wanted to have a look at him because we thought at one point he would get into our lineup and he did."

Chiarelli finished by saying discussions with the forward have begun.

"We'd like to have him back and we've had some discussion so we'll see where that goes."

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/blog-chiarelli-assesses-play er-personnel/c-297897174

Interesting to have him fairly critical of his two-way game and then immediately ink him again, but I'm happy to have him back. I think he can play a role whether with the NHL or AHL squad (and frankly, the AHL squad is screwed without him - there's almost no one else in the system capable of producing offence at a reasonable rate down there.)

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Oilers Sign Ty Rattie [message #713504 is a reply to message #713487 ]
Mon, 16 April 2018 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Sat, 14 April 2018 21:07

Here's his comments on Rattie from the other day:

Quote:

Ty Rattie finished his year with the big club, scoring five goals and nine points in 14 games.

"He's a very cerebral player and he moves the puck well," Chiarelli said of Rattie. "He fit in well. Also with Nugent-Hopkins being up there, too, you have three very cerebral players that recognize the need to move the puck up quickly."

Chiarelli said Rattie needed to work on his defensive game before receiving a call-up to the Oilers and noted he's started discussions with the player for next year.

"He had a pretty good year in Bakersfield," he said. "It was a one-dimensional year. We delayed bringing him up. His defensive game for the longest time in Bakersfield struggled. We wanted to have a look at him because we thought at one point he would get into our lineup and he did."

Chiarelli finished by saying discussions with the forward have begun.

"We'd like to have him back and we've had some discussion so we'll see where that goes."

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/blog-chiarelli-assesses-play er-personnel/c-297897174

Interesting to have him fairly critical of his two-way game and then immediately ink him again, but I'm happy to have him back. I think he can play a role whether with the NHL or AHL squad (and frankly, the AHL squad is screwed without him - there's almost no one else in the system capable of producing offence at a reasonable rate down there.)

I think this was a lesson in master negotiation taught to us by a master negotiator. Chiarelli knew he had to sign this guy, because where else could you find a player who could score next to McDavid, so he managed to publicly reduce his player's contract leverage right before he negotiated with him. Brilliant!

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Oilers Sign Ty Rattie [message #713482 is a reply to message #713480 ]
Sat, 14 April 2018 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Sat, 14 April 2018 20:00

Agreed on your projection of that third line. He’s also someone that seems to be able to play with McDavid as well, so he could slide up and down the lineup as needed. Dare I say it’s nice to have a depth player?

Not to turn this thread in another direction, but it sure is great that they finally gave Nuge wing duty with McDavid (Nuge-McDavid-Puljujarvi as a potential top line makes me salivate) though this move essentially makes it so Lucic and Drai HAVE to work as your second line. Sigh.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Oilers Sign Ty Rattie [message #713503 is a reply to message #713482 ]
Mon, 16 April 2018 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Good signing by the Oilers. The Oilers need to find cheap guys that can contribute on their team. He played well granted in short sample size. Nuge and McDavid had good things to say about him. This could be the opportunity of a life time for Rattie so hopefully he puts in the work this offseason to do whatever he needs to do. 1 yr deal, just barely above league minimum. Not much to complain about I would think.

Re: Oilers Sign Ty Rattie [message #713505 is a reply to message #713503 ]
Mon, 16 April 2018 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

When I say there is nothing to complain about, as I am listening to the morning show, I hear them complain about the "timing" of the Rattie signing. The Oilers need some wingers. With McDavid coming on the books, they need to find cheap wingers that can play. I looked up the league minimum.
http://www.puckreport.com/2009/07/nhl-minimum-wage-maximum-w age-by-year.html

This past season the league minimum was 650k. With all signs pointing to a significant jump in the cap, chances are the league minimum will jump up to be over 700k. So the Oilers literally signed him too what will be barely over league minimum. It's not like the Oilers are currently blessed with a ton of guys on their team and in the minors who can play in the NHL and contribute. Heaven forbid the Oilers actually for a change try to build up some organization depth so when an injury happens, they can put in someone that does more than just drink water on the bench at the NHL level. So even if he ends up being a depth guy, he's barely making over league minimum. He's shown he can at least contribute some at the NHL granted in a limited time frame. I would much rather have a guy that when you put him in the line up might actually contribute than have a guy like Pakarien who's literally just a live body but brings next to nothing to your team. So if they could get him sign to a 1 yr deal at this low of money, why not? What advantage does waiting do? All you do is run the risk of another team offering him more money or more term.

One thing I would love an explanation about is how the media talk show guys actually believe that Vanek will be cheap next year. I have heard Gregor go on and on about Vanek and how the Oilers should go after him because he has shown he can play with good players, produce and will be cheap. Nielsen said similar things in his complaint about "jumping on" signing Rattie. How can they honestly think Vanek will be cheap this year. In 80 games he had 24 goals, 56 pts. In 2 playoff games, he has 2 points. If Vanek has any sort of reasonable playoff, some team, maybe even Columbus, will pay this guy. I used Gagner a while ago. Gagner was brutal for years, signed a 1 year deal in COlumbus for league minimum. He had 1 good season in Columbus and Vancouver jumped all over him and sign him for 3 yrs at 3.5 mill. I could easily see a team jumping on Vanek at 2 yrs at 4 mill.

[Updated on: Mon, 16 April 2018 08:51]

Re: Oilers Sign Ty Rattie [message #713506 is a reply to message #713505 ]
Mon, 16 April 2018 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 16 April 2018 08:35

When I say there is nothing to complain about, as I am listening to the morning show, I hear them complain about the "timing" of the Rattie signing. The Oilers need some wingers. With McDavid coming on the books, they need to find cheap wingers that can play. I looked up the league minimum.

This past season the league minimum was 650k. With all signs pointing to a significant jump in the cap, chances are the league minimum will jump up to be over 700k. So the Oilers literally signed him too what will be barely over league minimum. It's not like the Oilers are currently blessed with a ton of guys on their team and in the minors who can play in the NHL and contribute. So even if he ends up being a depth guy, he's barely making over league minimum. He's shown he can at least contribute at the NHL. I would much rather have a guy that when you put him in the line up might actually contribute than have a guy like Pakarien who's literally just a live body but brings next to nothing to your team. So if they could get him sign to a 1 yr deal at this low of money, why not? What advantage does waiting do? All you do is run the risk of another team offering him more money or more term.

One thing I would love an explanation about is how the media talk show guys actually believe that Vanek will be cheap next year. I have heard Gregor go on and on about Vanek and how the Oilers should go after him because he has shown he can play with good players, produce and will be cheap. Nielsen said similar things in his complaint about "jumping on" signing Rattie. How can they honestly think Vanek will be cheap this year. In 80 games he had 24 goals, 56 pts. In 2 playoff games, he has 2 points. If Vanek has any sort of reasonable playoff, some team, maybe even Columbus, will pay this guy. I used Gagner a while ago. Gagner was brutal for years, signed a 1 year deal in COlumbus for league minimum. He had 1 good season in Columbus and Vancouver jumped all over him and sign him for 3 yrs at 3.5 mill. I could easily see a team jumping on Vanek at 2 yrs at 4 mill.

Listening to the show on the drive in this morning, I didn't think that they were critical of the signing of Rattie. They were simply saying that you can't see that as box ticked and figure you have your top line winger to play with 97 & 93 - and that if they do start the year with Rattie as a top-line guy, then the team is probably in real trouble.

I think that's pretty accurate. He's an AHL first liner, not an NHL one.

Here's the Oilers forwards as it sits right now:

McDavid
Draisaitl
Nugent-Hopkins
Lucic
Strome (RFA)
Kassian
Slepyshev (RFA)
Caggiula (RFA)
Puljujarvi
Pakarinen (RFA)
Rattie
Khaira
Aberg
Yamamoto

There's no one in the minors who you could expect to join that list. Cammalleri is a UFA, but I could see the Oilers signing him back - after all, they decided not to even shop him at the deadline. I think Slepyshev is gone, either to another team or to Russia, and I think Pakarinen is likely toast too.

If we just sign Strome and Caggiula, that leaves 12 forwards. In an ideal world, the Oilers try to add at the top end and probably push Yamamoto back to junior. In a less-than-ideal scenario, we sign Cammalleri, bring in Yamamoto and this year's first round pick and consider the box checked.

One of the startling things about how the team has been built is that the Oilers have committed to the majority of last year's team for next year too. There's not a lot of flexibility in the roster, with only $4MM additional cap space between what we spent last year and what we have for next year. There's $13-15MM to re-sign Strome, Caggiula, Nurse & Benning and whatever additions we can bring in. Best case scenario, Benning & Caggiula are on $1.5MM deals, Strome re-ups at the same $2.5 and Nurse gets $4.0. That's 9.5MM, which leaves 3.5-5.5MM for spending on a winger or defenceman. Maybe you could get Vanek or Grabner on a one-year deal for that kind of change.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Oilers Sign Ty Rattie [message #713507 is a reply to message #713506 ]
Mon, 16 April 2018 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 16 April 2018 09:04

This past season the league minimum was 650k. With all signs pointing to a significant jump in the cap, chances are the league minimum will jump up to be over 700k. So the Oilers literally signed him too what will be barely over league minimum. It's not like the Oilers are currently blessed with a ton of guys on their team and in the minors who can play in the NHL and contribute. So even if he ends up being a depth guy, he's barely making over league minimum. He's shown he can at least contribute at the NHL. I would much rather have a guy that when you put him in the line up might actually contribute than have a guy like Pakarien who's literally just a live body but brings next to nothing to your team. So if they could get him sign to a 1 yr deal at this low of money, why not? What advantage does waiting do? All you do is run the risk of another team offering him more money or more term.

Listening to the show on the drive in this morning, I didn't think that they were critical of the signing of Rattie. They were simply saying that you can't see that as box ticked and figure you have your top line winger to play with 97 & 93 - and that if they do start the year with Rattie as a top-line guy, then the team is probably in real trouble.

McDavid
Draisaitl
Nugent-Hopkins
Lucic
Strome (RFA)
Kassian
Slepyshev (RFA)
Caggiula (RFA)
Puljujarvi
Pakarinen (RFA)
Rattie
Khaira
Aberg
Yamamoto

There's no one in the minors who you could expect to join that list. Cammalleri is a UFA, but I could see the Oilers signing him back - after all, they decided not to even shop him at the deadline. I think Slepyshev is gone, either to another team or to Russia, and I think Pakarinen is likely toast too.

If we just sign Strome and Caggiula, that leaves 12 forwards. In an ideal world, the Oilers try to add at the top end and probably push Yamamoto back to junior. In a less-than-ideal scenario, we sign Cammalleri, bring in Yamamoto and this year's first round pick and consider the box checked.

One of the startling things about how the team has been built is that the Oilers have committed to the majority of last year's team for next year too. There's not a lot of flexibility in the roster, with only $4MM additional cap space between what we spent last year and what we have for next year. There's $13-15MM to re-sign Strome, Caggiula, Nurse & Benning and whatever additions we can bring in. Best case scenario, Benning & Caggiula are on $1.5MM deals, Strome re-ups at the same $2.5 and Nurse gets $4.0. That's 9.5MM, which leaves 3.5-5.5MM for spending on a winger or defenceman. Maybe you could get Vanek or Grabner on a one-year deal for that kind of change.

All I said was they were complaining about the timing about how early it is. I agree with your assessment on Rattie. I am not ready to anoint him as McDavid's winger. He showed some chemistry with McDavid and Nuge but it was in a very small sample size. There is nothing that says to me it's a lock he can do it next season. But the Oilers lack any kind of skilled forward depth. That includes the NHL and AHL club. If all Rattie ends up being next year is their 13th forward, so what. Like I said, their 13th forward on a lot of nights was Pakarien who does nothing. Pakarinen is on the team because there is nobody currently on the farm who is ahead of him. That's a major problem. So they need multiple guys. Guys who can step into the line up immediately and guys who are in the wings. I looked at that website that shows the league minimum salary. The league minimum jumped 75k to 650K this season when the cap went up by 2 mill. You hear the cap might get to 80 mill, a 5 mill jump. So if it jumped 75 K because of a 2 mill jump in cap, what will it go with a 5 mill jump? So if you can get him on a 1 yr deal at barely over league min, go for it. Like I said, they need several guys.

Re: Oilers Sign Ty Rattie [message #713520 is a reply to message #713507 ]
Mon, 16 April 2018 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

Disagree. Rattie is the Oilers' new top line RW.

Love this kid. So much grit. He has all the intangibles of a winner. You can just see his drive out there. He has the mental toughness that wins you cups. He puts in a full 60 minutes. He plays a simplified game. He reminds me of old-timer hockey men, who really understood hockey.

$6.5M seven years.

rtft

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Oilers Sign Ty Rattie [message #713511 is a reply to message #713506 ]
Mon, 16 April 2018 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

McDavid
Draisaitl
Nugent-Hopkins
Lucic
Strome (RFA)
Kassian
Slepyshev (RFA)
Caggiula (RFA)
Puljujarvi
Pakarinen (RFA)
Rattie
Khaira
Aberg
Yamamoto

I don't have a replacement for him in mind, however I'm not a fan of Caggiula and would not be sad if he didn't return. However, the depth in this org is literal trash. How do they not bring him back? He can put the puck in the net, he is small but plays with grit and isn't afraid to engage. Though, he is a liability on the PK and isn't much of a power play specialist.

Strome should be back. All in all not a terrible 3C, just hope the money matches the contributions. 2.5MM isn't a terrible number.

Benning... anymore than 1.5MM is an overpayment imo, but I don't see how they go lower or even that low. I believe Chia will give him closer to 2MM... sigh.

Which brings me to Nurse. He had a good month of December. He's climbed up the Oilers D chart... which isn't an impressive depth chart. The question here is do his view and the Oilers view on him differ? He likely sees himself as a top 2 d-man on this team, where the Oilers could see him as top-4, and likely as the number 4 man behind Lars and a healthy Klefbom and Sekera. I wouldn't be overly surprised if Nurse is signed for less than 4MM. Or if he's (unfortunately, it would be the wrong decision) the odd man out and used as a trade chip

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Oilers Sign Ty Rattie [message #713515 is a reply to message #713511 ]
Mon, 16 April 2018 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

OilMJMOil wrote on Mon, 16 April 2018 09:50

McDavid
Draisaitl
Nugent-Hopkins
Lucic
Strome (RFA)
Kassian
Slepyshev (RFA)
Caggiula (RFA)
Puljujarvi
Pakarinen (RFA)
Rattie
Khaira
Aberg
Yamamoto

I don't have a replacement for him in mind, however I'm not a fan of Caggiula and would not be sad if he didn't return. However, the depth in this org is literal trash. How do they not bring him back? He can put the puck in the net, he is small but plays with grit and isn't afraid to engage. Though, he is a liability on the PK and isn't much of a power play specialist.

Strome should be back. All in all not a terrible 3C, just hope the money matches the contributions. 2.5MM isn't a terrible number.

Benning... anymore than 1.5MM is an overpayment imo, but I don't see how they go lower or even that low. I believe Chia will give him closer to 2MM... sigh.

Which brings me to Nurse. He had a good month of December. He's climbed up the Oilers D chart... which isn't an impressive depth chart. The question here is do his view and the Oilers view on him differ? He likely sees himself as a top 2 d-man on this team, where the Oilers could see him as top-4, and likely as the number 4 man behind Lars and a healthy Klefbom and Sekera. I wouldn't be overly surprised if Nurse is signed for less than 4MM. Or if he's (unfortunately, it would be the wrong decision) the odd man out and used as a trade chip

I am not a fan of Caggulia either but he went from 7 goals, to 13 this year. I think his high end is a 3rd liner so you can't let that go out the door.

I don't know what Benning is. Last year he looked like a future top 4 guy that could do a little of everything. Skate decent, move the puck OK, has some physical edge to his game, seemingly could defend a bit. Looks to have some offensive ability. This year he ends up with 6 goals and 21 pts but looked like a disaster all over the ice on a lot of nights. I would be signing him to a 1 yr deal and see what you have. I agree I would prefer in the range of 1.5 mill tops but he's a dman, he's a right shot and they get more. I hope not. I wouldn't commit more than a year, maybe 2 tops.

Nurse dues to cap constraints, I would bridge him. If you can get him to a long term at Klefbom money, go for it but I doubt he takes that.

Re: Oilers Sign Ty Rattie [message #713516 is a reply to message #713511 ]
Mon, 16 April 2018 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I'd consider a trade involving Nurse.

I like the player a lot, but I don't think he's got a tonne of upside offensively. Great skater, but not a strong shot (and wastes a lot of softies unscreened - although that might have been coaching) and not a great passer. Strong, bit of a mean streak. Another left shot too.

He's a really good 2nd pair guy, and maybe he evolves in to a top pair shutdown guy. That's valuable, and someone may overpay for it. I wouldn't give him away, but I would definitely be open to a trade involving him if someone were to offer a top-line winger or a right shot guy with more offensive upside (Faulk, Trouba, maybe Dumba).

Re: Oilers Sign Ty Rattie [message #713529 is a reply to message #713516 ]
Mon, 16 April 2018 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 16 April 2018 10:09

I'd consider a trade involving Nurse.

I like the player a lot, but I don't think he's got a tonne of upside offensively. Great skater, but not a strong shot (and wastes a lot of softies unscreened - although that might have been coaching) and not a great passer. Strong, bit of a mean streak. Another left shot too.

He's a really good 2nd pair guy, and maybe he evolves in to a top pair shutdown guy. That's valuable, and someone may overpay for it. I wouldn't give him away, but I would definitely be open to a trade involving him if someone were to offer a top-line winger or a right shot guy with more offensive upside (Faulk, Trouba, maybe Dumba).

Sorry to turn this Rattie thread into a Nurse thread buuuut... Like you, I myself like the player a lot. I've always thought "wow, wait till this kid fills out"... he's still a fairly lanky guy and I'm still waiting for that.

He still hasn't reached his potential and he has to know this as well. He's what, 23? He has shown flashes and his best years are in front of him. And that's the main reason I think his next contract will be lower than 4 mil. I look at players with comparable seasons coming out of their ELC (Dumba, Murray, Trouba) and they all signed bridge deals for, I believe, under 3 mil. I envision this to be what the Oilers and Darnell look to do this off season, after Worlds.

If Chia feels he needs to trade a d-man to save some cap, I honestly hope there is some way he can get Reggie to waive. I'm a fan of Russel (not the dollars, but the player. Change my mind icon_wink )

[Updated on: Mon, 16 April 2018 12:31]

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Oilers Sign Ty Rattie [message #740197 is a reply to message #713516 ]
Tue, 09 July 2019 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

And Ty Rattie's days playing professional hockey in North America are over:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/report-ex-oilers-forward -ty-rattie-join-lokomotiv-khl/

The guy should have had a better NHL career. He certainly had the opportunities, but couldn't make the leap forward.

Re: Oilers Sign Ty Rattie [message #740199 is a reply to message #740197 ]
Tue, 09 July 2019 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Tue, 09 July 2019 17:04

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/report-ex-oilers-forward -ty-rattie-join-lokomotiv-khl/

The guy should have had a better NHL career. He certainly had the opportunities, but couldn't make the leap forward.

That's too bad. Maybe he just gave up on the NHL because Hitch wasn't gonna be a HC anymore. What's the point if he can't play for Hitch? :)

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers Sign Ty Rattie [message #740205 is a reply to message #740199 ]
Tue, 09 July 2019 17:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 09 July 2019 17:07

That's too bad. Maybe he just gave up on the NHL because Hitch wasn't gonna be a HC anymore. What's the point if he can't play for Hitch? :)

I hear that coach over in Lokomotiv is a player’s coach. They’ve landed some studs this offseason!

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Oilers Sign Ty Rattie [message #740376 is a reply to message #740205 ]
Fri, 12 July 2019 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Tue, 09 July 2019 17:19

I hear that coach over in Lokomotiv is a player’s coach. They’ve landed some studs this offseason!

So rather than pursue coaching and management tactical change with some barely NHL-calibre players who have obviously been miscoached/misplayed/mishandled but who want to play here, we're confident that unproven AHLers and random signings will gel quickly and turn this team around.... a full 360 degrees right?!?!?

Are we going to have a pool on whether we'll be in last place and planning for a rebuild by Halloween?

I seem to have lost my ability to cheer for the local hockey franchise...

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Oilers Sign Ty Rattie [message #740377 is a reply to message #740376 ]
Fri, 12 July 2019 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

stemhovlichski wrote on Fri, 12 July 2019 13:10

So rather than pursue coaching and management tactical change with some barely NHL-calibre players who have obviously been miscoached/misplayed/mishandled but who want to play here, we're confident that unproven AHLers and random signings will gel quickly and turn this team around.... a full 360 degrees right?!?!?

Are we going to have a pool on whether we'll be in last place and planning for a rebuild by Halloween?

Losing this year is ok. There is absolutely nothing Holland can do with his assets and cap space that could make 2019-20 a success. The only hope for playoffs is hot goaltending and the top players play at their level from last year. Holland's job is to make this team look just competitive enough this year and next so McDavid thinks winning here is possible and doesn't demand a traded in 2021.

Re: Oilers Sign Ty Rattie [message #740378 is a reply to message #740376 ]
Fri, 12 July 2019 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

I think we’re all suffering from outrage fatigue. The Broberg pick is the classic example. I just don’t have the energy to get all upset that they reached rather than going with the consensus pick. Maybe it’ll work out. But I doubt. Recent history shows the doubters are right more often than not.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Oilers Sign Ty Rattie [message #740379 is a reply to message #740376 ]
Fri, 12 July 2019 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

To be fair to Holland, the bottom six from last year was a complete failure, so it does make sense to replace them. It will be interesting to see if bubble NHLer Jurco is better than bubble player Rattie. Both once had some optimism around their careers...both have never really lived up to it. But sometimes you do find a guy who just needed a new situation and thrives, so it's a low cost gamble.

I wish we could see the team address it's most glaring problems - another top-four right shot defenceman, a couple of sniper wingers to play on the top two lines, the complete purging of anyone in a Vice-Chair position - but it's not looking like we'll see those things happen this summer.

Re: Oilers Sign Ty Rattie [message #740381 is a reply to message #740379 ]
Fri, 12 July 2019 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 12 July 2019 13:18

To be fair to Holland, the bottom six from last year was a complete failure, so it does make sense to replace them. It will be interesting to see if bubble NHLer Jurco is better than bubble player Rattie. Both once had some optimism around their careers...both have never really lived up to it. But sometimes you do find a guy who just needed a new situation and thrives, so it's a low cost gamble.

I wish we could see the team address it's most glaring problems - another top-four right shot defenceman, a couple of sniper wingers to play on the top two lines, the complete purging of anyone in a Vice-Chair position - but it's not looking like we'll see those things happen this summer.

There's no way to replace a top 4 right shot D or sniper wingers this year. The Oilers don't have the cap or assets. So why bother doing a halfway job? Accept the team as it is next year and wait.

Re: Oilers Sign Ty Rattie [message #740382 is a reply to message #740381 ]
Fri, 12 July 2019 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 12 July 2019 14:01

There's no way to replace a top 4 right shot D or sniper wingers this year. The Oilers don't have the cap or assets. So why bother doing a halfway job? Accept the team as it is next year and wait.

What about that vice-chair thing?

Re: Oilers Sign Ty Rattie [message #740384 is a reply to message #740382 ]
Fri, 12 July 2019 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 12 July 2019 14:23

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 12 July 2019 14:01

What about that vice-chair thing?

I try not to worry too much about things that cannot be changed.

Re: Oilers Sign Ty Rattie [message #740421 is a reply to message #740379 ]
Sat, 13 July 2019 15:34 Go to previous message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

I agree with your summary here but wonder if a new coach/manager combo could turn the bottom six around? Maybe make them dealable even? I thought Rieder, Rattie, Puljujarvi and about six other players looked like they had no confidence at all due to a lack of coaching OR being coached to play a system that didn't focus on their strengths. Other than the first couple of weeks of Hitch's tenure when they started playing "hockey" based on systems I recognized, I thought last season emphasized the complete strategic failure of Darth Lowe's assembly of yes men and nincompoops.

As noted, you are totally right, Adam: there are holes to be filled and purging to be done.

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Oilers Sign Ty Rattie [message #713513 is a reply to message #697128 ]
Mon, 16 April 2018 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Knew there had to be something wrong with this signing. Thanks Oilers nation for the help icon_biggrin

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers Sign Ty Rattie [message #713521 is a reply to message #713513 ]
Mon, 16 April 2018 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 16 April 2018 09:59

Knew there had to be something wrong with this signing. Thanks Oilers nation for the help icon_biggrin

?

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Oilers Sign Ty Rattie [message #713522 is a reply to message #713521 ]
Mon, 16 April 2018 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Mon, 16 April 2018 10:47

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 16 April 2018 09:59

?

I know by default Chia always messes up. Was just struggling to find the screw up here.

But turns out he talked too much in his presser, and stopped being able to get a bargain deal for >1 year. And also, he is likely banking on Rattie being a #1 RW for us next year because Chia.

I'm just being sarcastic here, as is appropriate whenever talking about the Oilers these days.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers Sign Ty Rattie [message #713523 is a reply to message #713522 ]
Mon, 16 April 2018 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Have we missed the playoffs next year yet?

Re: Oilers Sign Ty Rattie [message #713524 is a reply to message #713523 ]
Mon, 16 April 2018 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 16 April 2018 10:53

Yup.

2020 doesn't look good either.

Re: Oilers Sign Ty Rattie [message #713525 is a reply to message #713524 ]
Mon, 16 April 2018 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 16 April 2018 10:53

Yup.

Curious how the master plan looks that gets us the Cup in 5 years as Chia told season ticket holders.

2019 - scrape in to playoffs...maybe? Get brushed aside
2020 - win one round. We're back to where we were last year.
2021 - win two rounds. Lose in the conference finals. Final 4 ain't bad, right?
2023 - win three rounds, lose in Finals.
2024 - We are the Champions!

Seems...very linear.

Re: Oilers Sign Ty Rattie [message #713526 is a reply to message #713525 ]
Mon, 16 April 2018 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 16 April 2018 11:25

Yup.

Curious how the master plan looks that gets us the Cup in 5 years as Chia told season ticket holders.

Seems...very linear.

Wha? The 5 year plan starts now? I thought we are entering year 4 of his 5 year plan. He sold an 8 year plan to Nicholson when he was hired?

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Oilers Sign Ty Rattie [message #713527 is a reply to message #713526 ]
Mon, 16 April 2018 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 16 April 2018 10:32

Adam wrote on Mon, 16 April 2018 11:25

Yup.

Seems...very linear.

Wha? The 5 year plan starts now? I thought we are entering year 4 of his 5 year plan. He sold an 8 year plan to Nicholson when he was hired?

No, it's the original 5 year plan, just shifted to year 4 due to the players failing to execute. Totally not his fault and nothing he could have done to prevent it.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Scouting Staff Change Up
Next Topic:Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca