Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Reinhart Recalled
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Reinhart Recalled [message #691328]
Sat, 15 April 2017 15:31 Go to next message
OilMJMOil  is currently offline OilMJMOil

No Cups

Edmonton Oilers @EdmontonOilers

The #Oilers have recalled Griffin Reinhart from the @Condors.

"When we"ve got the puck, they can"t score."
~Paul Coffey

"Put the kids in with a few old pappy guys who still like to win and the combination is unbeatable."
~Conn Smythe

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Reinhart Recalled [message #691330 is a reply to message #691328 ]
Sat, 15 April 2017 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

5 Cups

I really hope this is more about TMac being displeased with Gryba more than being concerned about Klef's health.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Reinhart Recalled [message #691332 is a reply to message #691330 ]
Sat, 15 April 2017 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Sat, 15 April 2017 15:35

I really hope this is more about TMac being displeased with Gryba more than being concerned about Klef's health.

Condors were eliminated from playoff contention yesterday, may as well give Griffin a taste of the playoffs as it would be good for his development. Nothing saying he plays, but just by being around the team and soaking in the experience. TMac also said after today's practice he expects Klefbom to be available tomorrow for game 3.

~Paul Coffey

"Put the kids in with a few old pappy guys who still like to win and the combination is unbeatable."
~Conn Smythe

Re: Reinhart Recalled [message #691333 is a reply to message #691330 ]
Sat, 15 April 2017 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Sat, 15 April 2017 15:35

Could be that Condors just got knocked out of the post season.

Recall may have happened regardless of Klefbom event.

At least that's my hope..

Limecat Logic

Re: Reinhart Recalled [message #691335 is a reply to message #691328 ]
Sat, 15 April 2017 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

No Pulju? Thought they kept him up here to burn his ELC year and UFA year to expose him to experiences. Getting experience working with the team in the playoffs is not as important?

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Reinhart Recalled [message #691341 is a reply to message #691335 ]
Sat, 15 April 2017 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 15 April 2017 16:08

No Pulju? Thought they kept him up here to burn his ELC year and UFA year to expose him to experiences. Getting experience working with the team in the playoffs is not as important?

Condors still have 1 game, tonight, against San Jose. Assumption is they will call up Puljujarvi and whomever else tomorrow morning.

~Paul Coffey

~Conn Smythe

Re: Reinhart Recalled [message #691346 is a reply to message #691341 ]
Sat, 15 April 2017 18:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

OilMJMOil wrote on Sat, 15 April 2017 17:17

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 15 April 2017 16:08

Condors still have 1 game, tonight, against San Jose. Assumption is they will call up Puljujarvi and whomever else tomorrow morning.

Agreed, following the Condor's game today, we'll have 8 to 10 call-ups.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger

Re: Reinhart Recalled [message #691594 is a reply to message #691346 ]
Mon, 17 April 2017 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

JP is still not called up the only one officially is Reinhart. I wonder if he goes in instead of Gryba one of these games..

The very definition of insanity is doing the same thing expecting different results.

Re: Reinhart Recalled [message #691595 is a reply to message #691594 ]
Mon, 17 April 2017 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

No Cups

98 might be World Championships bound. Press box here or 1st line competing against a high quality opponent?

Chia might be sitting on a phone call.

[Updated on: Mon, 17 April 2017 19:02]

Re: Reinhart Recalled [message #691596 is a reply to message #691594 ]
Mon, 17 April 2017 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Mon, 17 April 2017 16:35

JP is still not called up the only one officially is Reinhart. I wonder if he goes in instead of Gryba one of these games..

Reinhart and Ellis...

But yeah, I mentioned this in the Minors section this morning. It's odd to me that there hasn't been a bunch of call-ups. Good opportunity to have guys practice near the pros. Keeps the ones who might get called on to play in at least close to game shape and for some of the more vaunted prospects, gives them a little taste of what it's like to be around an NHL team in the playoffs - something to make them a little hungry to have their own turn.

I would not be in a hurry to see guys like Lander and Puljujarvi head to the World Championships if I could avoid it, because then if we were hit by 2 or 3 injuries and needed them, they're far away and harder to activate.

Re: Reinhart Recalled [message #691597 is a reply to message #691596 ]
Mon, 17 April 2017 18:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 17 April 2017 15:54

Rocksteady wrote on Mon, 17 April 2017 16:35

Reinhart and Ellis...

But yeah, I mentioned this in the Minors section this morning. It's odd to me that there hasn't been a bunch of call-ups. Good opportunity to have guys practice near the pros. Keeps the ones who might get called on to play in at least close to game shape and for some of the more vaunted prospects, gives them a little taste of what it's like to be around an NHL team in the playoffs - something to make them a little hungry to have their own turn.

I would not be in a hurry to see guys like Lander and Puljujarvi head to the World Championships if I could avoid it, because then if we were hit by 2 or 3 injuries and needed them, they're far away and harder to activate.

I don't think there is any way that they would be allowed to go play in the WC's, NHL playoffs will run way past that .. that's me being Stanley Cup half full :)

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $3.1 M

Re: Reinhart Recalled [message #691640 is a reply to message #691596 ]
Tue, 18 April 2017 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 17 April 2017 16:54

Reinhart and Ellis...

I'm surprise to see you mention Lander as he is going to the KHL next season; I guess the may have provisions in their contract to remain on the call up list until the big team is officially done their season.

The very definition of insanity is doing the same thing expecting different results.

Re: Reinhart Recalled [message #691644 is a reply to message #691640 ]
Tue, 18 April 2017 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Tue, 18 April 2017 08:26

Adam wrote on Mon, 17 April 2017 16:54

Reinhart and Ellis...

I'm surprise to see you mention Lander as he is going to the KHL next season; I guess the may have provisions in their contract to remain on the call up list until the big team is officially done their season.

I don't care what his plans for next year are - he's the best minor league forward we have this year, so I'd be calling him up. I'd be strongly considering pulling out Desharnais for him too. Lander can win faceoffs and penalty kill, and they've contributed offence at similar rates, despite better offensive players playing with Desharnais.

Re: Reinhart Recalled [message #691598 is a reply to message #691328 ]
Mon, 17 April 2017 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

I'm thinking Osterle, when healthy, will likely get the start ahead of Griffin, more NHL experience, older, and at this stage in their carers, a better puck mover.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $3.1 M

Re: Reinhart Recalled [message #691641 is a reply to message #691598 ]
Tue, 18 April 2017 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

1 Cup

The problem I have with Osterle is his size. At the AHL level, he's a good puck mover, average defender and is able to put up reasonable points. He had 32 pts which is decent but I wouldn't call that great points. Brad Hunt was an elite scoring dman at the AHL level. He had a few 50 pts seasons. This season he had 29 pts in 23 games. But he couldn't translate that scoring to the NHL.

So then you look at Osterle. He can move the puck. But at the NHL we hasn't and won't put up a lot of points. At the AHL level, he's an OK defender. But the NHL every player is way better. Plus he's 6'0, 182 which I think his weight is probably a little inflated. In the playoffs where it's very tight, hard, battle for every inch, physical hockey, I would worry about him losing too many puck battles. At least with Reinhart you know he can move the puck decently, he's a passable skater but at 6'4, 212, I am not worried about him being totally out muscled when having to battle in front of his know net.

Re: Reinhart Recalled [message #691643 is a reply to message #691641 ]
Tue, 18 April 2017 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 18 April 2017 08:31

The problem I have with Osterle is his size. At the AHL level, he's a good puck mover, average defender and is able to put up reasonable points. He had 32 pts which is decent but I wouldn't call that great points. Brad Hunt was an elite scoring dman at the AHL level. He had a few 50 pts seasons. This season he had 29 pts in 23 games. But he couldn't translate that scoring to the NHL.

So then you look at Osterle. He can move the puck. But at the NHL we hasn't and won't put up a lot of points. At the AHL level, he's an OK defender. But the NHL every player is way better. Plus he's 6'0, 182 which I think his weight is probably a little inflated. In the playoffs where it's very tight, hard, battle for every inch, physical hockey, I would worry about him losing too many puck battles. At least with Reinhart you know he can move the puck decently, he's a passable skater but at 6'4, 212, I am not worried about him being totally out muscled when having to battle in front of his know net.

Oesterle and Hunt aren't good comparables. At all.

Oesterle is 6'0, and a great skater. Hunt is 5'9 and a poor skater. Oesterle is significantly younger than Hunt too.

Similar scoring rates in the AHL, but other than that, not similar at all.

And as for the comparisons to Reinhart, again, there are none. Oesterle's better. Yes, Reinhart's bigger, but there's nothing that he's done that has shown that he brings a lot else beyond size. His skating has never been great - and Gryba showed you what slow and big does for you in Game 1 - and it's not a small drop-off on the puck-moving from Oesterle to Reinhart. Reinhart had 11 less points in 10 MORE games this season...and that's in his best pro season ever. He's 18 months younger than Oesterle, so I guess there's still some time to improve, but if we need a defenceman, I'd MUCH rather see the guy we've seen play some capable minutes on an NHL team over Reinhart, who's looked out of place whenever he's been called up.

Not to mention, Oesterle's seen a couple of NHL games this year...it's closing in on a year and a half since the last time Reinhart got to suit up in one.

Re: Reinhart Recalled [message #691649 is a reply to message #691643 ]
Tue, 18 April 2017 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Tue, 18 April 2017 08:53

Oesterle and Hunt aren't good comparables. At all.

Oesterle is 6'0, and a great skater. Hunt is 5'9 and a poor skater. Oesterle is significantly younger than Hunt too.

Similar scoring rates in the AHL, but other than that, not similar at all.

And as for the comparisons to Reinhart, again, there are none. Oesterle's better. Yes, Reinhart's bigger, but there's nothing that he's done that has shown that he brings a lot else beyond size. His skating has never been great - and Gryba showed you what slow and big does for you in Game 1 - and it's not a small drop-off on the puck-moving from Oesterle to Reinhart. Reinhart had 11 less points in 10 MORE games this season...and that's in his best pro season ever. He's 18 months younger than Oesterle, so I guess there's still some time to improve, but if we need a defenceman, I'd MUCH rather see the guy we've seen play some capable minutes on an NHL team over Reinhart, who's looked out of place whenever he's been called up.

Not to mention, Oesterle's seen a couple of NHL games this year...it's closing in on a year and a half since the last time Reinhart got to suit up in one.

YOU think Osterle is better but in the NHL your opinion does not matter. Who's more likely to play full time in the NHL first? If I was to put money down, I would lean towards Reinhart. In the expansion draft, if the Oilers lose a dman, the 3 dmen who might get picked are Reinhart, Fayne and Osterle. Of the 3, Osterle will probably be dead last on that list.

So you are free to believe what you want but the telling thing will be what the Oilers GM and other GM's do with him. I see Osterle as a guy who splits time between the NHL and AHL, probably being in the AHL more than the NHL every year eventually getting fed up and heading to Europe to make money. I believe that because he doesn't do anything overly well. He's going to be 26 in June. Most players when they turn 25-26 at in their prime. So there is a good chance he's as good as he will get. Small players can play in the NHL but if you are a small player, you can't just be "OK" at doing things. You need to do something really well.

In Reinhart, I see a big, relatively mobile, decent puck moving, at worst 3rd pairing NHL dman. He just turned 23 this year. So in my opinion, he's not fully developed yet and GM's will think that as well given his age. Plus like it or not, size still matters to a degree. So Reinhart and his 6'4, 212 frame is going to get more looks and opportunity with the Oilers or another team than Osterle and his 6'0, 182 lbs frame.

Plus in a playoff game when the Sharks crash the net hoping a Burns shot makes it through so they can find a rebound like they always do. If an injury happened and a Reinhart or an Osterle has to go in. I am going to put my money on Reinhart with his 6'4, 212 frame winning a puck battle against a guy like Joel Ward who's 225lbs over 182 lbs soaking wet Osterle any day.

[Updated on: Tue, 18 April 2017 09:27]

Re: Reinhart Recalled [message #691662 is a reply to message #691649 ]
Tue, 18 April 2017 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 18 April 2017 09:20

YOU think Osterle is better but in the NHL your opinion does not matter. Who's more likely to play full time in the NHL first? If I was to put money down, I would lean towards Reinhart. In the expansion draft, if the Oilers lose a dman, the 3 dmen who might get picked are Reinhart, Fayne and Osterle. Of the 3, Osterle will probably be dead last on that list.

So you are free to believe what you want but the telling thing will be what the Oilers GM and other GM's do with him. I see Osterle as a guy who splits time between the NHL and AHL, probably being in the AHL more than the NHL every year eventually getting fed up and heading to Europe to make money. I believe that because he doesn't do anything overly well. He's going to be 26 in June. Most players when they turn 25-26 at in their prime. So there is a good chance he's as good as he will get. Small players can play in the NHL but if you are a small player, you can't just be "OK" at doing things. You need to do something really well.

In Reinhart, I see a big, relatively mobile, decent puck moving, at worst 3rd pairing NHL dman. He just turned 23 this year. So in my opinion, he's not fully developed yet and GM's will think that as well given his age. Plus like it or not, size still matters to a degree. So Reinhart and his 6'4, 212 frame is going to get more looks and opportunity with the Oilers or another team than Osterle and his 6'0, 182 lbs frame.

Plus in a playoff game when the Sharks crash the net hoping a Burns shot makes it through so they can find a rebound like they always do. If an injury happened and a Reinhart or an Osterle has to go in. I am going to put my money on Reinhart with his 6'4, 212 frame winning a puck battle against a guy like Joel Ward who's 225lbs over 182 lbs soaking wet Osterle any day.

You're right on this point - NHL GMs are often blinded by size and give more chances than they should to marginal players who happen to be big over players who are demonstrably better. Certainly, there's a long Oilers tradition of bringing in large, slow defence prospects (Plante, Teubert, a hundred guys who's names I've forgotten, Leroux).

But Oesterle isn't tiny and he is better than Reinhart. And he's been the preferred call-up for the Oilers for over a year now. He was called up first at the end of last year when injuries hit, and he was called up this year when Reinhart was not.

It's likely that if he wasn't injured, he'd be the top call-up now too...but since he's injured, we won't know.

Hopefully Reinhart improves, or goes to Vegas and finishes his plateau there. I am much less bullish on that player than you are. I think best case scenario, he's a third pairing NHL defenceman, but I think he's borderline to even get there. I know that they've been pumping his tires on Oilers Lunch for a while now, but that's just propaganda. His AHL numbers are relatively unimpressive, despite a big push this year.

Re: Reinhart Recalled [message #691704 is a reply to message #691641 ]
Tue, 18 April 2017 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Perhaps you know something I don't, but I watched Reinhart for 4 seasons in junior. He was soft, yet he towered above everyone. A man among boys if you will. Unless something has changed, I don't think he will be any more effective at moving bodies than a 6 footer. He possessed very little nasty at all. It was my biggest beef with him because he out sized everyone. Now he's in the world of giants, so now what?

Perhaps you have more recent intel than me as mine is dated.

[Updated on: Tue, 18 April 2017 16:52]

Limecat Logic

Re: Reinhart Recalled [message #691707 is a reply to message #691704 ]
Tue, 18 April 2017 17:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Tue, 18 April 2017 16:50

Perhaps you know something I don't, but I watched Reinhart for 4 seasons in junior. He was soft, yet he towered above everyone. A man among boys if you will. Unless something has changed, I don't think he will be any more effective at moving bodies than a 6 footer. He possessed very little nasty at all. It was my biggest beef with him because he out sized everyone. Now he's in the world of giants, so now what?

You can't teach size G2K icon_wink

What did you think of his skating in junior? I remember him being slow and plodding with the Oil Kings, but I'm not sure if my current opinion in influencing my memories.

Re: Reinhart Recalled [message #691731 is a reply to message #691707 ]
Tue, 18 April 2017 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 18 April 2017 17:44

g2k wrote on Tue, 18 April 2017 16:50

You can't teach size G2K icon_wink

What did you think of his skating in junior? I remember him being slow and plodding with the Oil Kings, but I'm not sure if my current opinion in influencing my memories.

I always felt he was moving faster than it appeared so I sorta defended his skating. Seeing him play in the NHL told me that may have been a misguided notion. His sense of urgency in key situations drove me nuts, but it's possible that's been coached out of his play by now.

He looked really fast the season Musil was an Oil King. Heh..

Limecat Logic

Re: Reinhart Recalled [message #691896 is a reply to message #691328 ]
Wed, 19 April 2017 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Ryan Rishaug‏ @TSNRyanRishaug
Puljujarvi heading to World Championship.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Reinhart Recalled [message #691897 is a reply to message #691896 ]
Wed, 19 April 2017 12:11 Go to previous message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 19 April 2017 12:09

Ryan Rishaug‏ @TSNRyanRishaug
Puljujarvi heading to World Championship.

Gets him games.

~Paul Coffey

~Conn Smythe

Previous Topic:Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #4)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #4)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2017.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca