F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » Canadian Broadcast rights - SportsNet goes all inPages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Canadian Broadcast rights - SportsNet goes all in [message #616087]
Tue, 26 November 2013 05:28 Go to next message
Hibernia  is currently offline Hibernia

1 Cup

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/deal-gives-rogers-rights- to-all-nhl-games-through-2025-26/

My first thought --- what happens to Big Head Bob and the Insiders.

Kool-Aid Addict!

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Canadian Broadcast rights - SportsNet goes all in [message #616089 is a reply to message #616087 ]
Tue, 26 November 2013 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve  is currently offline Steve

No Cups

Interesting. Rogers was given ALL the games, and then proceeding to sub-license Hockey Night in Canada to CBC. Not sure what to think of that.

Bob will most likely stay with TSN. He has been there forever, and can still keep them relevant with insider info. They won't be keeping everyone though. I expect some of the TSN staff to jump ship / be let go.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Re: Canadian Broadcast rights - SportsNet goes all in [message #616100 is a reply to message #616087 ]
Tue, 26 November 2013 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

There is a chance that Rogers could sub license to TSN, but the likelihood of that happening is remote.

Here Come the Oilers™ icon_rolleyes

Re: Canadian Broadcast rights - SportsNet goes all in [message #616103 is a reply to message #616087 ]
Tue, 26 November 2013 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

Ok so since this included Centre Ice and Game Center properties, does that mean that the blackout restrictions would be gone there too? Would be nice to live in Edmonton and be able to use Game Center for Oiler games.

Re: Canadian Broadcast rights - SportsNet goes all in [message #616104 is a reply to message #616087 ]
Tue, 26 November 2013 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmc  is currently offline hmc

4 Cups

Here's some bits and pieces I posted in the now locked thread in Speculation, that aren't in the article:

@TheFourthPeriod: As part of this 12yr, $5.232 billion agreement, there will be no more regional games or local blackouts for any broadcasts. All national.

@SimonDingleyCBC: Rogers will be in charge of editorial content on HNIC including on-air talent. But CBC will be consulted. CBC confirms some job losses.

@CarlyCBCSports: CBC forgoes all revenue for @hockeynight CBC pays nothing and gets nothing

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BZ_09lyCMAAzaaj.jpg

Then I'll just regress, because I feel I've made myself perfectly redundant.

Re: Canadian Broadcast rights - SportsNet goes all in [message #616105 is a reply to message #616104 ]
Tue, 26 November 2013 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
eedok  is currently offline eedok

No Cups

No blackouts is huge, GCL might actually be worth something

Re: Canadian Broadcast rights - SportsNet goes all in [message #616107 is a reply to message #616105 ]
Tue, 26 November 2013 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

4 Cups

eedok wrote on Tue, 26 November 2013 09:08

No blackouts is huge, GCL might actually be worth something

The blackout thing is always stupid. Why punish your fans AND limit your media exposure AND punish your media partners at the same time?

WAC's and GAB's. WAC's and GAB's.

Re: Canadian Broadcast rights - SportsNet goes all in [message #616109 is a reply to message #616107 ]
Tue, 26 November 2013 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bryan Halls Toupee  is currently offline Bryan Halls Toupee

No Cups

To be fair they don't have to blackout NHL broadcasts in Canadian cities since games sellout all the time. Blackouts in sports broadcasting are only implemented when there are poor seat sales.

Re: Canadian Broadcast rights - SportsNet goes all in [message #616110 is a reply to message #616109 ]
Tue, 26 November 2013 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Bryan Halls Toupee wrote on Tue, 26 November 2013 11:42

To be fair they don't have to blackout NHL broadcasts in Canadian cities since games sellout all the time. Blackouts in sports broadcasting are only implemented when there are poor seat sales.

Unless the rights are confined to a regional broadcast, which is why I can't watch Oilers games on Sportsnet West here in Toronto. They're blacked out, and I have to buy Centre Ice every year.

Re: Canadian Broadcast rights - SportsNet goes all in [message #616115 is a reply to message #616110 ]
Tue, 26 November 2013 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ronster  is currently offline ronster

No Cups

hmc wrote on Tue, 26 November 2013 08:45

Unless the rights are confined to a regional broadcast, which is why I can't watch Oilers games on Sportsnet West here in Toronto. They're blacked out, and I have to buy Centre Ice every year.

So just to be clear, I wont have to buy Centre Ice anymore after next year to watch Oiler games if I am out of market? Just watch it on Sportsnet West like normal?

Adam wrote

Maybe it's fitting to have found religion in the room because on most nights this team doesn't have a prayer.

Re: Canadian Broadcast rights - SportsNet goes all in [message #616119 is a reply to message #616115 ]
Tue, 26 November 2013 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HipHopHopkins  is currently offline HipHopHopkins

No Cups

Now if they could get Jay and Dan to do the nightly recap this would be full of win

Edit: What's going to happend to Don Cherry and Ron MacLean

[Updated on: Tue, 26 November 2013 11:19]

Re: Canadian Broadcast rights - SportsNet goes all in [message #616135 is a reply to message #616119 ]
Tue, 26 November 2013 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

HipHopHopkins wrote on Tue, 26 November 2013 11:11

Now if they could get Jay and Dan to do the nightly recap this would be full of win

Edit: What's going to happend to Don Cherry and Ron MacLean

Harper appoints them to the Senate? icon_lol Just kidding.

Re: Canadian Broadcast rights - SportsNet goes all in [message #616129 is a reply to message #616115 ]
Tue, 26 November 2013 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

ronster wrote on Tue, 26 November 2013 12:24

So just to be clear, I wont have to buy Centre Ice anymore after next year to watch Oiler games if I am out of market? Just watch it on Sportsnet West like normal?

@sladaurantaye: Scoopage: Rogers will create a pay product that allows subscribers to lift all of their regional Sportsnet blackouts. Rogers says its blackout-free Sportsnet package would cost considerably less than Game Centre etc, and only involve Canadian teams.

Re: Canadian Broadcast rights - SportsNet goes all in [message #616147 is a reply to message #616129 ]
Tue, 26 November 2013 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mars  is currently offline Mars

No Cups

hmc wrote on Tue, 26 November 2013 14:31

ronster wrote on Tue, 26 November 2013 12:24

@sladaurantaye: Scoopage: Rogers will create a pay product that allows subscribers to lift all of their regional Sportsnet blackouts. Rogers says its blackout-free Sportsnet package would cost considerably less than Game Centre etc, and only involve Canadian teams.

All the media rushed to get the story out this morning and showed us how we would get 6 early games and 4 late games to watch and chose from, with there being no regional blackouts. Funny how there was no mention of having to pay for the "no regional blackouts." I'm concerned we may end up with a PPV Sportsnet for hockey that will cost us much more than what we pay now.

Re: Canadian Broadcast rights - SportsNet goes all in [message #616148 is a reply to message #616147 ]
Tue, 26 November 2013 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

6 Cups

Gregor had a guy from Fourth Period saying he thought that this might mean more fans are forced to buy those extra cable packages to get the right channels to watch their game. This is costing Rogers an arm & a leg, so they need to figure out how to transfer that cost onto the consumer.

For me, it might just be different. Paying Game Center now vs paying for extra channels. So it might be the same or cheaper for me.

[Updated on: Tue, 26 November 2013 17:42]

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Canadian Broadcast rights - SportsNet goes all in [message #616150 is a reply to message #616148 ]
Tue, 26 November 2013 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ales Cooper  is currently offline Ales Cooper

1 Cup

So what is going to happen to the old HNIC song? Is Rogers going to be buying that as well?

In fairness to Hall, I've wanted to throw a waterbottle at Eakins all season.
~nullterm 03/22/2014

Re: Canadian Broadcast rights - SportsNet goes all in [message #616159 is a reply to message #616150 ]
Tue, 26 November 2013 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Ales Cooper wrote on Tue, 26 November 2013 15:39

So what is going to happen to the old HNIC song? Is Rogers going to be buying that as well?

After losing the NHL rights , I can't see TSN letting that go for a song (pun intended eh Gene)

This is a swift kick to the nut sack to Bell; they would make Rogers pay thru the nose.

Besides Rogers now owns the new song now. I don't think they would be interested but who knows.

Adam wrote

Maybe it's fitting to have found religion in the room because on most nights this team doesn't have a prayer.

Re: Canadian Broadcast rights - SportsNet goes all in [message #616173 is a reply to message #616150 ]
Wed, 27 November 2013 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MJ  is currently offline MJ

3 Cups

Ales Cooper wrote on Tue, 26 November 2013 16:39

TSN won't be selling it:
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/tsn-not-prepared-to-surr ender-hockey-night-theme-1.2441012

"I still feel like the game that we present and stage for the fans most nights is one of very, very high entertainment" - MacT

Re: Canadian Broadcast rights - SportsNet goes all in [message #616108 is a reply to message #616105 ]
Tue, 26 November 2013 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilPeg  is currently offline OilPeg

No Cups

My first reaction is holy crap! TSN is awesome and Sportsnet is so terrible...this is awful.

But then I read the part about no more blackouts and if that means I get to see Oiler games again, then I'm for it.

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 02 June 2012 00:29

But he (Belanger)'s as soft as room temp. margarine.

Twitter: @penuita15

Re: Canadian Broadcast rights - SportsNet goes all in [message #616111 is a reply to message #616087 ]
Tue, 26 November 2013 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

Not happy about this. It does seem like there will be more hockey, but Sportsnet is amateur hour compared to TSN. I make the comparison to if college football moved from ESPN to PBS and NBCSports. Not an exact comparison, but if you have something that is really working well...

If I'm guessing, I would expect Bob MacKenzie will head into retirement sooner rather than later. He's been inching that way for a while, and with no NHL rights, I have trouble seeing him stick around. And I don't see him heading to Sportsnet after all these years.

Will be interesting to see what happens with guys like Dreger, Duthie, Miller, Ferrero, and others.

More than anything, TSN isn't afraid to have fun. I've never really seen that from Sportsnet (unless you count the time they brought Eklund in for trade day analysis).

Also, I really don't want Mark Spector breaking down more games.

Re: Canadian Broadcast rights - SportsNet goes all in [message #616112 is a reply to message #616111 ]
Tue, 26 November 2013 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

2 Cups

I feel like this doesn't matter to me as someone who ONLY EVER watches Oilers games.

"I'm not reading Skoobz' banter." - NotLeeFogolin
The 2013-14 Edmonton Oilers... Breaking Ekblad

Re: Canadian Broadcast rights - SportsNet goes all in [message #616113 is a reply to message #616111 ]
Tue, 26 November 2013 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

I'd say it's premature to assume that Sportsnet as we know it today will look anything like the Sportsnet that's the exclusive rights holder. They'll poach a lot of people, both in front of and behind the camera, and on the microphone. They're throwing way too much money at this to not improve the product considerably.

Re: Canadian Broadcast rights - SportsNet goes all in [message #616123 is a reply to message #616113 ]
Tue, 26 November 2013 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

hmc wrote on Tue, 26 November 2013 08:58

I'd say it's premature to assume that Sportsnet as we know it today will look anything like the Sportsnet that's the exclusive rights holder. They'll poach a lot of people, both in front of and behind the camera, and on the microphone. They're throwing way too much money at this to not improve the product considerably.

Not necessarily. They could invest in a decent broadcast quality. Or know they have a monopoly and just coast for the next decade.

Much like the Oilers, if Sportsnet wants to raise their bar to what TSN is/was then they need to start cutting bait on guys they have. In addition to investing in higher end broadcast equipment. Maybe Rogers has a big master plan change looming, but just cause they throw money at the rights doesn't mean te product improves.

Re: Canadian Broadcast rights - SportsNet goes all in [message #616130 is a reply to message #616123 ]
Tue, 26 November 2013 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

nullterm wrote on Tue, 26 November 2013 15:24

Not necessarily. They could invest in a decent broadcast quality. Or know they have a monopoly and just coast for the next decade.

Much like the Oilers, if Sportsnet wants to raise their bar to what TSN is/was then they need to start cutting bait on guys they have. In addition to investing in higher end broadcast equipment. Maybe Rogers has a big master plan change looming, but just cause they throw money at the rights doesn't mean te product improves.

I say it's premature to assume, you say the same thing, kind of. We agree, kind of.

Re: Canadian Broadcast rights - SportsNet goes all in [message #616139 is a reply to message #616130 ]
Tue, 26 November 2013 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

hmc wrote on Tue, 26 November 2013 13:32

nullterm wrote on Tue, 26 November 2013 15:24

I say it's premature to assume, you say the same thing, kind of. We agree, kind of.

Yeah, we both agree anything can happen with Sportsnet.

I'm projecting/guessing that based on the same execs making the same decisions (even with a bigger budget) that the product likely isn't up to TSN snuff. Throwing money at a problem rarely fixes it unless you have better decision makers.

Like the little things, crowd and arena ambience. TSN broadcasts do a great job of mixing commentary with a loud boisterous arena. SN on the other hand muffle out the crowd (and excitement) in favour of commentary.

Re: Canadian Broadcast rights - SportsNet goes all in [message #616142 is a reply to message #616139 ]
Tue, 26 November 2013 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

nullterm wrote on Tue, 26 November 2013 17:30

I'm projecting/guessing that based on the same execs making the same decisions (even with a bigger budget) that the product likely isn't up to TSN snuff. Throwing money at a problem rarely fixes it unless you have better decision makers.

Like the little things, crowd and arena ambience. TSN broadcasts do a great job of mixing commentary with a loud boisterous arena. SN on the other hand muffle out the crowd (and excitement) in favour of commentary.

Biggest pet peeve with Sportsnet: missed face-offs after an ad. No idea how they haven't managed to fix this yet, given the pretty vocal complaining about it.

Re: Canadian Broadcast rights - SportsNet goes all in [message #616144 is a reply to message #616142 ]
Tue, 26 November 2013 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

hmc wrote on Tue, 26 November 2013 14:35

nullterm wrote on Tue, 26 November 2013 17:30

Biggest pet peeve with Sportsnet: missed face-offs after an ad. No idea how they haven't managed to fix this yet, given the pretty vocal complaining about it.

Hopefully the big gun TSN hockey production guys get hired by SN with the ability to make real decisions about how the broadcasts are done. But that's pretty rare, large corps often like their stamp, detest how outsiders do things.

Re: Canadian Broadcast rights - SportsNet goes all in [message #616220 is a reply to message #616111 ]
Wed, 27 November 2013 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Tue, 26 November 2013 09:48

Not happy about this. It does seem like there will be more hockey, but Sportsnet is amateur hour compared to TSN. I make the comparison to if college football moved from ESPN to PBS and NBCSports. Not an exact comparison, but if you have something that is really working well...

If I'm guessing, I would expect Bob MacKenzie will head into retirement sooner rather than later. He's been inching that way for a while, and with no NHL rights, I have trouble seeing him stick around. And I don't see him heading to Sportsnet after all these years.

Will be interesting to see what happens with guys like Dreger, Duthie, Miller, Ferrero, and others.

More than anything, TSN isn't afraid to have fun. I've never really seen that from Sportsnet (unless you count the time they brought Eklund in for trade day analysis).

Also, I really don't want Mark Spector breaking down more games.

I have to say, I hate this deal. I don't know what the NHL gains by creating a monopoly here. TSN and CBC are likely to be significantly weakened and those properties may not be in financial shape to bid on this again in 12 years. There are excellent analysts who may be put out of work, and mediocre ones that might get to stay on a long time if they have contracts in place.

Ideally, guys like Kypreos, MacLean and Spector are moved out by Sportsnet and replaced by whatever high quality talent is available, but there's no guarantee that happens.

I'm not clear what will happen with highlights. I can only hope that the NHL makes it clear that Sportsnet has to share with their competitors.

I would think that above the money paid, the NHL should be most concerned with making sure the league has a lot of exposure...limiting the channels it is on doesn't accomplish that in my mind. I know that there's talk that there will be up to 9 channels that play games, but are some of those going to be like the Sportsnet Oilers channel that plays nothing else?

TSN has just been across the board better, so unless Sportsnet can really pick up their game, I'm not excited about this at all.

I also wonder where guys like Cuthbert end up. Guy is very good, so does TSN retain his contract for junior hockey? Or do they let him go and he ends up either at Sportsnet or in the US?

It's very unclear what the deal is with HNIC. Is it going to be phased out over the life of this deal? When they say they pay nothing and get nothing, do they at least still get the ad revenue during the games? Elliotte Friedman is another guy who I wonder where he'll end up...if HNIC is smart, they keep him above almost anyone else, because I think their only hope of survival is to put on a great show that will cause a great uproar if it gets phased out in four years.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireEakins #FireActon #FireSmith #FireBuchberger #FireMoores #Burnitdown #KeepJoey

Re: Canadian Broadcast rights - SportsNet goes all in [message #616114 is a reply to message #616087 ]
Tue, 26 November 2013 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

1 Cup

Honestly, I see things going potentially good or potentially bad.

Rogers could just rely on add revenue and we could get 4 or 5 games a night including all of the Canadian ones.

or Rogers could start charging whatever they want for either the basic Sportsnet channels or a pay service like TSN Jets. It could end up that even to get your local games, you could have to pay a premium.

Re: Canadian Broadcast rights - SportsNet goes all in [message #616127 is a reply to message #616114 ]
Tue, 26 November 2013 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oilerman53  is currently offline Oilerman53

No Cups

I dont know why people are belly aching so bad about Sportsnet getting the NHL deal? TSN had about fifty reports on how Reimer and Bernier were going to fight over the starting job in Toronto. All of TSN and their broadcast centered around the Leafs, as an Oiler fan Sportsnet has beat teporters in every city and they have some of the most comprehensive reporting west of Toronto so I dont see this as a bad thing. With Rogers ramping up everything from non regional blackouts it would be interesting to see a game from lets say the Senators broadcast. If anything Rogers just took hockey away from Toronto and gave it back to Canada. Good riddance Toronto Sports Network.

2013-14 Edmonton Oilers
"CHOP WOOD, CARRY WATER"

Actuality
"POOP PANTS, WEEP HYSTERICALLY"

Re: Canadian Broadcast rights - SportsNet goes all in [message #616131 is a reply to message #616127 ]
Tue, 26 November 2013 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

4 Cups

Get ready for more Mark Spector. Screw your gag reflex to the sticking palce, because it's all local yes-men form/from here on out.

This is a shame.

Learning is the most important part of learning basic defence.

Re: Canadian Broadcast rights - SportsNet goes all in [message #616162 is a reply to message #616131 ]
Tue, 26 November 2013 20:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

2 Cups

Magnum wrote on Tue, 26 November 2013 14:35

Get ready for more Mark Spector. Screw your gag reflex to the sticking palce, because it's all local yes-men form/from here on out.

This is a shame.

Gene Prinicpe's puns reaching coast-to-coast-to-coast

Back-to-back prediction champ

Re: Canadian Broadcast rights - SportsNet goes all in [message #616172 is a reply to message #616162 ]
Tue, 26 November 2013 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/blog.html?b=sports.national post.com/2013/11/26/nhl-rogers-reach-12-year-5-2-billion-bro adcast-deal-that-would-see-cbc-keep-hockey-night-in-canada

In an internal memo, CBC president Hubert Lacroix said that “starting next year, Rogers will assume all editorial control (all editorial decisions with respect to the content, on-air talent and the creative direction of HNIC — we have the right to be consulted and there is a commitment to excellence) under the new agreement.”

So now SN will be the only lead voice about what message comes from game broadcasts. This is a move straight from the same playbook Katz used when he hired Stauffer to silence the team's harshest critic.

I get that TSN, CBC, other media can still have their say. But for people tuning into game broadcasts there's one single body of decision makers who decide what all of Canada will hear.

I don't think this is a good thing.

Re: Canadian Broadcast rights - SportsNet goes all in [message #616213 is a reply to message #616127 ]
Wed, 27 November 2013 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clutchlikeeberle  is currently offline clutchlikeeberle

No Cups

You are in for a shock. Here on the east coast Sportsnet is gonzo over the Laughs.

I am still sulking today over Nick Kyperos getting more air time. One of the biggest idoits in hockey

Re: Canadian Broadcast rights - SportsNet goes all in [message #616137 is a reply to message #616114 ]
Tue, 26 November 2013 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Tue, 26 November 2013 10:03

Honestly, I see things going potentially good or potentially bad.

Rogers could just rely on add revenue and we could get 4 or 5 games a night including all of the Canadian ones.

or Rogers could start charging whatever they want for either the basic Sportsnet channels or a pay service like TSN Jets. It could end up that even to get your local games, you could have to pay a premium.

That's what worries me. With competition out of the picture, stay tuned for a pay package to see your favorite team. I think "free" broadcasts (well, free if you subscribe to the right cable or satellite package) might become an endangered species. Depends, I guess, on the whole dynamic of advertising revenue vs. PPV revenue.

Re: Canadian Broadcast rights - SportsNet goes all in [message #616146 is a reply to message #616087 ]
Tue, 26 November 2013 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

The way I see this is fairly simple: I don't care who has the rights as long as I can watch Oil games without too much trouble. TSN may have the best commentating team, but they just don't care about any teams except for the Leafs and Sens, along with the Habs. If Sportsnet and CBC are going to guarantee that the Oilers will be seen often enough each season, I'm fine with them holding the rights to NHL broadcasting.

Frankly, the bulk of my enjoyment of a game comes from seeing the team I support win and not from what the commentators are saying. It's why I can even live with Principe's continued existence. I'm not enjoying broadcasts for the most part this season, but it's because the team we all follow sucks. Here's hoping that Bryz helps get things truly turned around.

"Life is warfare and the sojourn of a stranger in a strange land." - Marcus Aurelius

Re: Canadian Broadcast rights - SportsNet goes all in [message #616157 is a reply to message #616146 ]
Tue, 26 November 2013 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mische  is currently offline mische

No Cups

Could this be a huge mistake. 5.2 billion. Too me that sounds like a heck of a lot money. Does this now increase the NHL revenue?? Will this cause the cap to go up even further?? Will this increase the cost of attending live games. Is this the start of the end to the NHL. How much are people going to pay to watch hockey. The party of having the Jets back in Winnipeg is starting to fade, and a big reason for that is what I believe is cost. People have woken up and realize the cost is way to much to pay these guys.

Re: Canadian Broadcast rights - SportsNet goes all in [message #616250 is a reply to message #616157 ]
Wed, 27 November 2013 20:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

mische wrote on Tue, 26 November 2013 19:49

Could this be a huge mistake. 5.2 billion. Too me that sounds like a heck of a lot money. Does this now increase the NHL revenue?? Will this cause the cap to go up even further?? Will this increase the cost of attending live games. Is this the start of the end to the NHL. How much are people going to pay to watch hockey. The party of having the Jets back in Winnipeg is starting to fade, and a big reason for that is what I believe is cost. People have woken up and realize the cost is way to much to pay these guys.

More TV revenue is *good* for the NHL. It means more exposure for each team, including the smaller market ones like the Oil, and it also means a bigger pie to divide among the teams. If you don't think that lots of TV revenue is good for a sports league, you should check out the NFL and English Premier League, as their teams swim in cash.

"Life is warfare and the sojourn of a stranger in a strange land." - Marcus Aurelius

Re: Canadian Broadcast rights - SportsNet goes all in [message #616181 is a reply to message #616087 ]
Wed, 27 November 2013 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

Rogers to CBC:

Here Come the Oilers™ icon_rolleyes

Re: Canadian Broadcast rights - SportsNet goes all in [message #616189 is a reply to message #616181 ]
Wed, 27 November 2013 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

No Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Wed, 27 November 2013 07:47

Rogers to CBC:

That made my day. after a long night of working and getting up early for a meeting, that was great.

On to Rogers...doesnt Rogers already have the distinctive channels in placeholders for the teams like the Oilers / Flames / Senators or Canucks...I see on my Bell TV guide a channel in the 1400 range with Sportsnet Oilers HD (for example)

For sure they could employ the TSN Jets model and make us pay for the right to watch Oilers hockey, no matter what region you are in.

I have a feeling the recent partnerships with Rogers and the Ollers and Canucks were a precursor for this to happen.

Adam wrote

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:D Diaz traded for F Weise
Next Topic:For Hitchcock, Coaching is a Passion
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright OilFans.com 1996-2013.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca