This day on October 21
None

Happy Birthday To: oilfann83, OilRick, Baker, islquest

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Pregame: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #23)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Pregame: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #615527]
Tue, 19 November 2013 03:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final
Score Prediction
Login To Make Your Prediction

Edmonton to win:   0%
Columbus to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

2013-14 Regular Season
Tuesday, November 19, 2013Columbus 0 @ Edmonton 7Win
Friday, November 29, 2013Edmonton 2 @ Columbus 4Loss
Home Record: 1-0-0       Road Record: 0-1-0       Overall Record: 1-1-0
Home / Road Goals For: 7/2 Total: 9
Home / Road Goals Against: 0/4 Total: 4

2012-13 Regular Season
Sunday, February 10, 2013Edmonton 3 @ Columbus 1Win
Tuesday, March 5, 2013Edmonton 3 @ Columbus 4 (OT) (SO)Loss
Thursday, March 28, 2013Columbus 4 @ Edmonton 6Win
Home Record: 1-0-0       Road Record: 1-0-1       Overall Record: 2-0-1
Home / Road Goals For: 6/6 Total: 12
Home / Road Goals Against: 4/5 Total: 9

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pregame: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #615532 is a reply to message #615527 ]
Tue, 19 November 2013 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

Against the mighty Blue Jackets! Make your mark oil, make your mark!

Let's Do this..

Please don't lose.

[Updated on: Tue, 19 November 2013 11:23]

The very definition of insanity is doing the same thing expecting different results.

Re: Pregame: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #615539 is a reply to message #615527 ]
Tue, 19 November 2013 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

Jackets are healthy and rolling. 3-0-2 in their last 5... Wouldn't be surprised to see them add another win tonight.

Also wouldn't mind if they left a few of Dubinsky, Jenner, Foligno, Calvert, or Johanson here when they left town. They have a lot of pieces the Oilers could really use.

Re: Pregame: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #615548 is a reply to message #615527 ]
Tue, 19 November 2013 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Stauffer reporting same forward lines as last game. Arcobello still scratched - Acton and Gazdic still in with expectation that they don't need to create chances reinforced by the coaches comments last game.

http://oilersnation.com/2013/11/18/dallas-eakins-and-the-edm onton-oilers-fourth-line

Justin Schultz is back. I'm curious whether it'll be Potter or Larsen out. Potter has looked more solid defensively. Larsen is an adventure. High risk, high reward player.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireEakins #FireActon #FireSmith #FireBuchberger #FireMoores #Burnitdown #KeepJoey

Re: Pregame: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #615564 is a reply to message #615548 ]
Tue, 19 November 2013 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mars  is currently offline Mars

No Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 19 November 2013 10:52

Stauffer reporting same forward lines as last game. Arcobello still scratched - Acton and Gazdic still in with expectation that they don't need to create chances reinforced by the coaches comments last game.

http://oilersnation.com/2013/11/18/dallas-eakins-and-the-edm onton-oilers-fourth-line

Justin Schultz is back. I'm curious whether it'll be Potter or Larsen out. Potter has looked more solid defensively. Larsen is an adventure. High risk, high reward player.

I hate it when scoring chances are created. crazy

Re: Pregame: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #615571 is a reply to message #615564 ]
Tue, 19 November 2013 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
6zeppelin6 is currently online 6zeppelin6

1 Cup

I think the goal here is to get back to getting shutout at home, and we kind of got away from that in the SJ game.

You will likely see Yakupov's icetime reduced so he doesn't go all Russian defect on us and try to win a game or score.

Also, we have a pretty big opportunity tonight. We could put together our second two game win streak of the year. (I know I was surprised there was a first one too).

HOPE

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/3882/signuz.jpg

Re: Pregame: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #615599 is a reply to message #615564 ]
Tue, 19 November 2013 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

1 Cup

I've a actually really liked Larsen's game. He's a great skater, very agile and seems to make decent decisions with the puck. He could be a very solid player for a lot of years here.

Re: Pregame: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #615600 is a reply to message #615599 ]
Tue, 19 November 2013 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
6zeppelin6 is currently online 6zeppelin6

1 Cup

HamBlaster wrote on Tue, 19 November 2013 14:24

I've a actually really liked Larsen's game. He's a great skater, very agile and seems to make decent decisions with the puck. He could be a very solid player for a lot of years here.

Larsen to me is a little rough. He has struggled to maintain possession at the blueline a lot I have noticed. Kind of reminds me of a young Tom Gilbert but without the give-a-way passes. Hopefully it is just nerves.

HOPE

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/3882/signuz.jpg

Re: Pregame: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #615617 is a reply to message #615600 ]
Tue, 19 November 2013 17:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigEfromGP  is currently offline bigEfromGP

2 Cups

6zeppelin6 wrote on Tue, 19 November 2013 14:27

Larsen to me is a little rough. He has struggled to maintain possession at the blueline a lot I have noticed. Kind of reminds me of a young Tom Gilbert but without the give-a-way passes. Hopefully it is just nerves.

Yes, I agree. Not to harp on the kid, but his ability, or lack of, to keep the puck at the blue line is atrocious. I literally cringe now whenever I see the Oilers putting pressure in the other teams end, and the puck spits out and comes towards Larsen on the right side. I think he will develop and get past that but for now that is a glaring issue.

oilerinvan should never leave Oilfans.

Re: Pregame: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #615624 is a reply to message #615617 ]
Tue, 19 November 2013 18:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TeemaJeema  is currently offline TeemaJeema

No Cups

bigEfromGP wrote on Tue, 19 November 2013 17:25

6zeppelin6 wrote on Tue, 19 November 2013 14:27

Yes, I agree. Not to harp on the kid, but his ability, or lack of, to keep the puck at the blue line is atrocious. I literally cringe now whenever I see the Oilers putting pressure in the other teams end, and the puck spits out and comes towards Larsen on the right side. I think he will develop and get past that but for now that is a glaring issue.

For now. I like what he can bring to the game though, as HamBlaster said, he really is a great skater and I do think he is a solid puck mover. I'm confident he can work through the holes in his game at this time, I like his upside.

Oiler Fan For Life.
Go Esks Go!

Re: Pregame: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #615612 is a reply to message #615599 ]
Tue, 19 November 2013 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rattimus  is currently offline Rattimus

No Cups

I personally agree. He's still young (23?) and for a d-man it's not uncommon that it takes a little longer to develop, but at least he competes every night, and his offense is pretty decent from the blue-line, something we've been lacking lately. Plus, he SHOOTS!!! which is like a god-send on the current incarnation of our squad.

I hope he plays in place of Potter, no offense Corey.

Re: Pregame: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #615613 is a reply to message #615612 ]
Tue, 19 November 2013 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Rattimus wrote on Tue, 19 November 2013 16:51

I personally agree. He's still young (23?) and for a d-man it's not uncommon that it takes a little longer to develop, but at least he competes every night, and his offense is pretty decent from the blue-line, something we've been lacking lately. Plus, he SHOOTS!!! which is like a god-send on the current incarnation of our squad.

He's not.

Larsen is an adventure. He looked terrible on his coverage on the Monahan goal last game, and I think that's been fairly typical of his play. Remember, the game he had 3 assists, he also was -3 and was culpable on all the goals against.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireEakins #FireActon #FireSmith #FireBuchberger #FireMoores #Burnitdown #KeepJoey

Re: Pregame: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #615615 is a reply to message #615613 ]
Tue, 19 November 2013 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hibernia  is currently offline Hibernia

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Tue, 19 November 2013 20:25

He's not.

Larsen is an adventure. He looked terrible on his coverage on the Monahan goal last game, and I think that's been fairly typical of his play. Remember, the game he had 3 assists, he also was -3 and was culpable on all the goals against.

The good news is, it's easier to teach defensive coverage than it is to teach "hands." And they were mostly coverage issues, right and not giveaways? He wouldn't have been the first player to struggle a little getting used to the Eakins system.

Kool-Aid Addict!

Re: Pregame: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #615616 is a reply to message #615615 ]
Tue, 19 November 2013 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Hibernia wrote on Tue, 19 November 2013 17:10

Adam wrote on Tue, 19 November 2013 20:25

He's not.

The good news is, it's easier to teach defensive coverage than it is to teach "hands." And they were mostly coverage issues, right and not giveaways? He wouldn't have been the first player to struggle a little getting used to the Eakins system.

Has there been anyone on the team who hasn't been guilty of grievous turnovers this year? I think there have been some from Larsen as well, but where he's stood out as particularly bad to me is in coverage.

Re: Pregame: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #615573 is a reply to message #615527 ]
Tue, 19 November 2013 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

1 Cup

I think the Oilers start turning it around.

They are back from the perpetual road trip, Dubie is playing better, Yak seems to at least care, Gagner seems to be getting back to NHL level.

I just worry that this team wins enough to fall to 8-10 in the draft and they waste an entire year without the payoff at the end.

Re: Pregame: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #615575 is a reply to message #615573 ]
Tue, 19 November 2013 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oilfanforever!!  is currently offline Oilfanforever!!

1 Cup

If I were a betting man, I would say that 1st round pick won't be there by the time June rolls around anyway, at least based on MacT's little presser last week where he said it was in play!!

"I hope that went well. ... that's the team I want to go to..." -Taylor Hall.

...asked if he was excited for the draft to be over, Yakupov said: "It's not over. It's just starting."

Re: Pregame: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #615577 is a reply to message #615573 ]
Tue, 19 November 2013 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Tue, 19 November 2013 12:56

I think the Oilers start turning it around.

They are back from the perpetual road trip, Dubie is playing better, Yak seems to at least care, Gagner seems to be getting back to NHL level.

I just worry that this team wins enough to fall to 8-10 in the draft and they waste an entire year without the payoff at the end.

At this point, a turnaround that sees us finish the season out of the playoffs but at least close is better than another lottery pick. What does this team need with another 18 year old? Especially one in the #4-8 range that will tease with their talent but will be incredibly raw and need a tonne more work? The cupboards are pretty well stocked. We've got a tonne of good young forwards on the big team and a tonne of decent defensive prospects in the system. We'd be just fine picking in the low teens and having our players win enough that they gain a little confidence for next season.

That said, the Oilers haven't beaten a single team in a playoff spot this year. They've beaten 18th place Montreal, 21st place Ottawa, 23rd place New Jersey, 26th place Calgary and 28th place Florida. That doesn't have the look of a team that's going to threaten cracking out of the bottom of the league. You may have nothing to worry about and we may yet have another 18-year old that the club can pin our hopes on.

Re: Pregame: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #615623 is a reply to message #615573 ]
Tue, 19 November 2013 18:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chief  is currently offline Chief

No Cups

There is absolutely zero objective evidence to suggest that they are "turning it around"

Re: Pregame: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #615629 is a reply to message #615623 ]
Tue, 19 November 2013 19:20 Go to previous message
Adrean  is currently offline Adrean

No Cups

Chief wrote on Tue, 19 November 2013 18:49

There is absolutely zero objective evidence to suggest that they are "turning it around"

Ok gotcha, one vote for 'glass half full' .....next???

Is it melancholy to think that a world that Robin Williams can’t live in must be broken? -Russell Brand

Re: Pregame: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #615581 is a reply to message #615527 ]
Tue, 19 November 2013 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vsove  is currently offline vsove

No Cups

I would love to go on a tear for the rest of the season. Even if we don't make the playoffs, we need to start winning. More high picks because we're sucking hard is not going to help the team nearly as much as actually starting to win games and get back to competing.

No Mo' Lowe

Re: Pregame: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #615582 is a reply to message #615581 ]
Tue, 19 November 2013 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

vsove wrote on Tue, 19 November 2013 13:24

I would love to go on a tear for the rest of the season. Even if we don't make the playoffs, we need to start winning. More high picks because we're sucking hard is not going to help the team nearly as much as actually starting to win games and get back to competing.

Totally agree. I think some of the cracks this team has shown are because everyone hates losing and is starting to point fingers. If they win for a while, it heals a lot of wounds in that dressing room.

Re: Pregame: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #615583 is a reply to message #615582 ]
Tue, 19 November 2013 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vsove  is currently offline vsove

No Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 19 November 2013 13:28

Totally agree. I think some of the cracks this team has shown are because everyone hates losing and is starting to point fingers. If they win for a while, it heals a lot of wounds in that dressing room.

Yep. It's tough to lose - especially tough when you're A) young and B) have high expectations placed on you. Plus, not everyone is mature enough to handle this sort of personal responsibility - far easier to point fingers than to admit that you've screwed the pooch.

One of the reasons I was sad to see Horcoff go was that I always felt he had a pretty steadying influence - while I'm sure many will disagree, I never felt he passed the buck, but he also didn't get too down on himself.

Winning will fix a lot of things, and even if we're more or less eliminated already, it would be a great stepping stone for next season. If anything, honestly, I think it might help - you build the base off of winning when there are no expectations or pressures, and then you learn what it takes to win when it actually does matter.

No Mo' Lowe

Re: Pregame: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #615585 is a reply to message #615583 ]
Tue, 19 November 2013 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

vsove wrote on Tue, 19 November 2013 13:33

Adam wrote on Tue, 19 November 2013 13:28

Yep. It's tough to lose - especially tough when you're A) young and B) have high expectations placed on you. Plus, not everyone is mature enough to handle this sort of personal responsibility - far easier to point fingers than to admit that you've screwed the pooch.

One of the reasons I was sad to see Horcoff go was that I always felt he had a pretty steadying influence - while I'm sure many will disagree, I never felt he passed the buck, but he also didn't get too down on himself.

Winning will fix a lot of things, and even if we're more or less eliminated already, it would be a great stepping stone for next season. If anything, honestly, I think it might help - you build the base off of winning when there are no expectations or pressures, and then you learn what it takes to win when it actually does matter.

Hall, Eberle and Yakupov have all shown a great deal of respect for Shawn Horcoff. I tend to agree. I think he was a unifying presence in the locker room, even if he was such a divisive topic around here.

Re: Pregame: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #615603 is a reply to message #615585 ]
Tue, 19 November 2013 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 19 November 2013 13:39

Hall, Eberle and Yakupov have all shown a great deal of respect for Shawn Horcoff. I tend to agree. I think he was a unifying presence in the locker room, even if he was such a divisive topic around here.

The only reason Horc was a divisive topic was his salary. If he cost $2mil less to keep, he'd still be an Oiler, and very few of us would be complaining about it.

The typical Oil fan after a game:
http://i.imgur.com/FddGWAw.gif

Re: Pregame: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #615605 is a reply to message #615603 ]
Tue, 19 November 2013 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi is currently online CrusaderPi

4 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Tue, 19 November 2013 14:47

Adam wrote on Tue, 19 November 2013 13:39

The only reason Horc was a divisive topic was his salary. If he cost $2mil less to keep, he'd still be an Oiler, and very few of us would be complaining about it.

I didn't want him regardless of price. He couldn't skate after the injury, he wasn't quite Cam Barker skating bad, but it was close.

WAC's and GAB's. WAC's and GAB's.

Re: Pregame: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #615584 is a reply to message #615527 ]
Tue, 19 November 2013 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

http://oilersnation.com/2013/11/19/gdb-230-going-streaking

Looks like Potter is in, Larsen is out.

Noticed this in the article:

Quote:

Have Oilers fans become adverse to hard plays. I can't believe Andrew Ference is taking grief for his fight with Lee Stempniak. Stempniak crushed Ference with a hard hit; Ference was annoyed by it and elected to go after Stempniak. The Oilers rarely push back, and when one finally does, some fans actually complained about it. Go back and watch tapes of the Oilers in the 80s, do you think they were choir boys all the time? They were incredibly skilled, but they also were tough and didn't let teams take advantage of them.

If anything, Oiler fans should be excited that they have a player who is wiling to stand up for himself. He took matters into his own hands. This team needs more guys to play with an edge or emotion.

I don't have a huge problem with what Ference did except that A) it was a clean hit and B) he took an extra penalty at a time when another goal against could have sunk the team on the night and C) he was lucky not to get an instigator and a ten minute misconduct, depriving us of one of our top four defencemen for 17 minutes. As it was, he had to sit for seven.

I think that retaliatory fights should be something you do when it's really deserved, so I'd have respected it a lot more if Ference had "refused to take no for an answer" when whoever it was stuck his leg out to knee/trip Nuge a few games back (instead, he did take no for an answer AND took a minor penalty to nullify the man advantage we should have had). Stempniak was playing clean, so I don't think there was any need to fight him and for Ference to put his team at a disadvantage in that situation was somewhat selfish.

ETA:

This is a stat I didn't know:

Quote:

David Perron is the only forward who has an ES point in the last six home games. We've focused a lot on the lack of a top-pairing D-man, which is true, but until this group of forwards can sustain a cycle in the offensive zone they will struggle scoring. It is time the forwards started carrying their weight on home ice.

Good god that's bad.

[Updated on: Tue, 19 November 2013 14:22]

Re: Pregame: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #615604 is a reply to message #615584 ]
Tue, 19 November 2013 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prince Albert 1  is currently offline Prince Albert 1

No Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 19 November 2013 14:38

http://oilersnation.com/2013/11/19/gdb-230-going-streaking

Looks like Potter is in, Larsen is out.

Noticed this in the article:

Quote:

Have Oilers fans become adverse to hard plays. I can't believe Andrew Ference is taking grief for his fight with Lee Stempniak. Stempniak crushed Ference with a hard hit; Ference was annoyed by it and elected to go after Stempniak. The Oilers rarely push back, and when one finally does, some fans actually complained about it. Go back and watch tapes of the Oilers in the 80s, do you think they were choir boys all the time? They were incredibly skilled, but they also were tough and didn't let teams take advantage of them.

If anything, Oiler fans should be excited that they have a player who is wiling to stand up for himself. He took matters into his own hands. This team needs more guys to play with an edge or emotion.

I don't have a huge problem with what Ference did except that A) it was a clean hit and B) he took an extra penalty at a time when another goal against could have sunk the team on the night and C) he was lucky not to get an instigator and a ten minute misconduct, depriving us of one of our top four defencemen for 17 minutes. As it was, he had to sit for seven.

I think that retaliatory fights should be something you do when it's really deserved, so I'd have respected it a lot more if Ference had "refused to take no for an answer" when whoever it was stuck his leg out to knee/trip Nuge a few games back (instead, he did take no for an answer AND took a minor penalty to nullify the man advantage we should have had). Stempniak was playing clean, so I don't think there was any need to fight him and for Ference to put his team at a disadvantage in that situation was somewhat selfish.

ETA:

This is a stat I didn't know:

Quote:

David Perron is the only forward who has an ES point in the last six home games. We've focused a lot on the lack of a top-pairing D-man, which is true, but until this group of forwards can sustain a cycle in the offensive zone they will struggle scoring. It is time the forwards started carrying their weight on home ice.

Good god that's bad.

Playing Potter over Larsen is a mistake.

Re: Pregame: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #615610 is a reply to message #615604 ]
Tue, 19 November 2013 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilerPunch  is currently offline OilerPunch

No Cups

Larsen wasn't on the ice yesterday I think I read somewhere he is nursing an injury.

Re: Pregame: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #615611 is a reply to message #615527 ]
Tue, 19 November 2013 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hallsy  is currently offline Hallsy

No Cups

I'll be at the game tonight....it's too bad Bryz isn't starting this one. I guess we've got to ride Dubie while he's starting to find his game.

Re: Pregame: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #615626 is a reply to message #615527 ]
Tue, 19 November 2013 18:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TeemaJeema  is currently offline TeemaJeema

No Cups

Got some last minute tickets for cheap tonight, off to the game, hopefully on time with these awful roads in Edmonton today.

Sure hope the Oil can carry on the momentum of their positive play and start stringing together some wins.

Watched the Flames game on Saturday with a Flames fan (future father-in-law, makes for a fun back and forth at times, he's a good sport) and he hated the Ference play on Stempniak which made me love it. Ference needs to step up like that and stir up emotion in this team. There has been a huge lack of that lately.

The kid Yakupov with 2 Goals and an assist tonight.

Oiler Fan For Life.
Go Esks Go!

Re: Pregame: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #23) [message #615628 is a reply to message #615527 ]
Tue, 19 November 2013 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

I mentioned it in another thread, but Larsen could really use Huddy. I like the kid, think he is highly skilled, not afraid to engage, and very smooth and fluid. But he does need to work on his positioning and clearing the net.

He'd be a project I'm working on over the next couple seasons though, working in and out of the lineup. I like a lot of what he brings and his potential to bring more.

Previous Topic:GDT: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #23)
Next Topic:Bryzgalov Recalled
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2014.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca