This day on April 18
None

Happy Birthday To: spaz44, Formica, JDmassive, timothyparis12

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #21)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #21) [message #615152]
Fri, 15 November 2013 22:20 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   11%
San Jose to win:   89%
107 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #21) [message #615156 is a reply to message #615152 ]
Fri, 15 November 2013 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DeZoE  is currently offline DeZoE

No Cups

At least we scored a goal.....

I'm not wearing pants...

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #21) [message #615157 is a reply to message #615152 ]
Fri, 15 November 2013 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hemmer2Eberle  is currently offline Hemmer2Eberle

1 Cup

Seems like a bit of an insult that every team plays their back up against us. It's gotta suck to play for the biggest joke team in the league. Even Florida laughs at the Oilers.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #21) [message #615158 is a reply to message #615152 ]
Fri, 15 November 2013 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

3 Cups

Looked OK after the Sharks got a 3 goal lead and started hanging back a bit. Need to figure out how to make the other team do that without giving them a lead first...

Wonder how bad Joensuu's injury really is.

..talk is cheap
..success is coming
..the game that we present and stage for the fans most nights is one of very, very high entertainment
..limitless potential
..good structural improvement

Eakins: I know EXACTLY what we need to do next year...

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #21) [message #615159 is a reply to message #615152 ]
Fri, 15 November 2013 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prince Albert 1  is currently offline Prince Albert 1

No Cups

OilFans wrote on Fri, 15 November 2013 23:20

Yak's best game of the year. Ebs Nuge Hall were good. Ference finally showed a pulse and Belov/Larsen were ok. Everybody else garbage. The posts stopped more pucks than DD.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #21) [message #615162 is a reply to message #615159 ]
Fri, 15 November 2013 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigEfromGP  is currently offline bigEfromGP

2 Cups

Prince Albert 1 wrote on Fri, 15 November 2013 22:38

Yak's best game of the year. Ebs Nuge Hall were good. Ference finally showed a pulse and Belov/Larsen were ok. Everybody else garbage. The posts stopped more pucks than DD.

DD held his own and then some.

oilerinvan should never leave Oilfans.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #21) [message #615166 is a reply to message #615162 ]
Fri, 15 November 2013 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prince Albert 1  is currently offline Prince Albert 1

No Cups

bigEfromGP wrote on Fri, 15 November 2013 23:51

Prince Albert 1 wrote on Fri, 15 November 2013 22:38

DD held his own and then some.

Ya he did hold his own. Guess my point was if a few of those posts woulda went in this game could have been real ugly. That said he was outplayed,again, but this time by a guy nobody's heard of.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #21) [message #615168 is a reply to message #615166 ]
Fri, 15 November 2013 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

6 Cups

nullterm's Night Away From Oilers, day 1 report...

Team racked up an impressive 46 PIMs in an 7-3 exciting win (we're pretty sure one ref was drunk and/or senile). Good start to the weekend!

How'd the.... uh. Did we "improve?"

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #21) [message #615160 is a reply to message #615152 ]
Fri, 15 November 2013 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

2 Cups

No one predicted a 3-1 loss?

Well, I guess the 1 was a little ambitious.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #21) [message #615170 is a reply to message #615160 ]
Fri, 15 November 2013 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Padre  is currently offline Padre

1 Cup

smyth260 wrote on Fri, 15 November 2013 22:40

I had a 3-1 sharks win predicted and changed it to 5-1 late this afternoon hoping for a Joe Thornton goal game.....

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #21) [message #615173 is a reply to message #615170 ]
Fri, 15 November 2013 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Padre wrote on Fri, 15 November 2013 23:25

smyth260 wrote on Fri, 15 November 2013 22:40

I had a 3-1 sharks win predicted and changed it to 5-1 late this afternoon hoping for a Joe Thornton goal game.....

You were counting on the patented Eakins two empty net goals against!

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireEakins #FireActon #FireSmith #FireBuchberger #FireMoores #Burnitdown #KeepJoey

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #21) [message #615161 is a reply to message #615152 ]
Fri, 15 November 2013 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

Next game that has any meaning?

October 2014

Limecat Logic

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #21) [message #615163 is a reply to message #615152 ]
Fri, 15 November 2013 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigEfromGP  is currently offline bigEfromGP

2 Cups

Oilers are now last place in the league as Buffallo won tonight.

But, the good news is that BOTH the head coach and GM see improvement.

oilerinvan should never leave Oilfans.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #21) [message #615167 is a reply to message #615163 ]
Fri, 15 November 2013 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
halfafrog  is currently offline halfafrog

1 Cup

I hope Katz is enjoying his rapidly depreciating asset with the wonder boys managing it.

He deserves it for doing nothing with management and allowing the same garbage to be recycled thinking he would get a different result.

Sorry, this had to be edited. By what Mickey Mouse Metric did we improve tonight MacT? Eakins? Anyone?

[Updated on: Fri, 15 November 2013 23:21]

Lowe

Lower

Lowest

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #21) [message #615195 is a reply to message #615167 ]
Sat, 16 November 2013 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Still 0 wins against the teams Krueger had to coach us against all of last season. Still getting horribly dominated by the teams we had to play last season.

At least we've learned that if you change your coach enough times you reach a point where even if your next coach is a bum off the street you can say with 100% certainty that coaching is not the problem and the street bum or whoever you picked should be allowed to coach the team forever no matter how many stupid things they do.

..talk is cheap
..success is coming
..the game that we present and stage for the fans most nights is one of very, very high entertainment
..limitless potential

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #21) [message #615197 is a reply to message #615195 ]
Sat, 16 November 2013 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

oobga wrote on Sat, 16 November 2013 00:32

Still 0 wins against the teams Krueger had to coach us against all of last season. Still getting horribly dominated by the teams we had to play last season.

At least we've learned that if you change your coach enough times you reach a point where even if your next coach is a bum off the street you can say with 100% certainty that coaching is not the problem and the street bum or whoever you picked should be allowed to coach the team forever no matter how many stupid things they do.

We've also learned that if a guy got passed over in favour of Randy freakin' Carlyle and then acts as if he's scared of Carlyle's abilities as a tactician, remembering that Carlyle believes his team is fine getting outshot by five shots a game...well, maybe he's not everything the Toronto media and his mom say he is.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireEakins #FireActon #FireSmith #FireBuchberger #FireMoores #Burnitdown #KeepJoey

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #21) [message #615178 is a reply to message #615152 ]
Fri, 15 November 2013 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

4 Cups

Well, that game was just a special sort of awful. There were no positives outside of dominant 8 minutes after the Sharks had already put the game away. Dubnyk was the best Oiler by ONLY letting in 3 goals and 4ish points. And he was notably "not bad". Frustrating. The Oilers lost every puck battle, every loose puck, and the kid behind me was LOUD. Oh man was that little brat loud. Can't wait to complain about tomorrow's game.

WAC's and GAB's. WAC's and GAB's.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #21) [message #615206 is a reply to message #615178 ]
Sat, 16 November 2013 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

2 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 15 November 2013 22:38

Well, that game was just a special sort of awful. There were no positives outside of dominant 8 minutes after the Sharks had already put the game away. Dubnyk was the best Oiler by ONLY letting in 3 goals and 4ish points. And he was notably "not bad". Frustrating. The Oilers lost every puck battle, every loose puck, and the kid behind me was LOUD. Oh man was that little brat loud. Can't wait to complain about tomorrow's game.

Same problem for the last 7 years. We don't need superstars, we just need some real NHL'ers that can win a puck battle.

Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #21) [message #615213 is a reply to message #615206 ]
Sat, 16 November 2013 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

6 Cups

To echo the comments on the 4th line - are you telling me Eager - Arcobello - Omark would not be inifinitely more likely to help us win than these guys? Or Joenssu - Arcobello - Omark?

And hey - Yakupov scored on a one timer from the right side. Weird. You know what I would do if I was his coach? I know it's really off the wall and crazy, but I would play him in the position where he broke Stamkos' record in Sarnia, and where he has scored most of his NHL goals, on the right side to take advantage of that all world shot. But what do I know.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #21) [message #615221 is a reply to message #615206 ]
Sat, 16 November 2013 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 16 November 2013 00:59

Same problem for the last 7 years. We don't need superstars, we just need some real NHL'ers that can win a puck battle.

I think it's it's much much worse than what we've been dealing with for 7 years. I can't see anything this team does well, anything to build on. It's Pat Quinn era bad but somehow less organized.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #21) [message #615226 is a reply to message #615206 ]
Sat, 16 November 2013 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mars  is currently offline Mars

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 16 November 2013 00:59

Couldn't agree more Skookum. 7 years later and this organization still can't figure out how to built a well balanced team of players with complementing skills. Perhaps they should spend another few years studying the Pens and Hawks like they have yapped about for years.

[Updated on: Sat, 16 November 2013 09:53]

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #21) [message #615184 is a reply to message #615152 ]
Fri, 15 November 2013 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

So Hockey Genius Eakins tells the world after the game he doesn't expect any scoring chances from his fourth line (who set up the San Jose third goal along with not providing anything else).

What a stupid thing to say. Basically, we are willing to completely surrender 5-10 minutes a night to the other team, so that we can occasionally have a fight or two?

So glad we scratched Arcobello so that Will Acton could get his solid 3:45 in.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #21) [message #615188 is a reply to message #615184 ]
Sat, 16 November 2013 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 15 November 2013 23:53

So Hockey Genius Eakins tells the world after the game he doesn't expect any scoring chances from his fourth line (who set up the San Jose third goal along with not providing anything else).

What a stupid thing to say. Basically, we are willing to completely surrender 5-10 minutes a night to the other team, so that we can occasionally have a fight or two?

Honest to god, I don't remember seeing Acton, Gazdic, or Jesse Jones out there in the last two period. I just don't understand why having useful NHLers on the fourth line would be such a bad thing. A useful 6 minutes would be soooooo much better than an invisible / occasionally destructive 3.5 minutes. It can't be this hard to find a decent 4th liner, can it?

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #21) [message #615189 is a reply to message #615188 ]
Sat, 16 November 2013 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Sat, 16 November 2013 00:04

Honest to god, I don't remember seeing Acton, Gazdic, or Jesse Jones out there in the last two period. I just don't understand why having useful NHLers on the fourth line would be such a bad thing. A useful 6 minutes would be soooooo much better than an invisible / occasionally destructive 3.5 minutes. It can't be this hard to find a decent 4th liner, can it?

Joensuu and Gazdic had just over 2 minutes of icetime. Acton almost got to 4 minutes. Oh, and they were all -1.

A friend of mine was talking about how these were "role guys". No. Role guys is when you bring in a bunch of young hungry players - like Brodziak/Glencross/Stortini and they push for icetime by playing their hearts out when on the ice and earning another shift each time. Those guys chipped in goals. You weren't just hoping for them not to get scored on.

I want my fourth line challenging my third line which is challenging my second line which challenges my first line. I don't want guys who know they'll always be fourth liners and are happy with that fate. Yes, we'll lose some of those guys as opportunities come up for them to play bigger roles elsewhere, but you just bring in more young guys who can play and put them in the same situation. How do you think Detroit finds guys like Helm and Abdelkader? They put up points in the AHL, so they got a chance on the fourth line in the NHL and they worked their way up.

Instead the Oilers model is that if you put up points in the AHL, you have to wait for a top line player to get hurt to get an audition, because they call up fourth line players to play fourth line roles. Give me JF Jacques over Gazdic or Acton any day. At least that guy had the talent to play in the lower league.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #21) [message #615194 is a reply to message #615188 ]
Sat, 16 November 2013 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 15 November 2013 23:04

Yeah, if only there was another center who was tied for 3rd in scoring on the team and has shown chemistry with every top six winger we got, that could have played and contributed. Oh, hey Arco, how's that popcorn tasting?

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #21) [message #615218 is a reply to message #615184 ]
Sat, 16 November 2013 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mullet  is currently offline Mullet

1 Cup

Wan't it MacT that said we needed to improve bottom six so they are a factor? That means more than throwing the body and fists IMO.

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher, smarter, faster and better looking than most people.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #21) [message #615225 is a reply to message #615184 ]
Sat, 16 November 2013 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mars  is currently offline Mars

No Cups

That is a stupid things to say. Did he elaborate on what he does expect from them?

I'm so tired of the circus act that is the Oilers organization.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #21) [message #615242 is a reply to message #615225 ]
Sat, 16 November 2013 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rukm01  is currently offline rukm01

2 Cups

Mars wrote on Sat, 16 November 2013 09:22

That is a stupid things to say. Did he elaborate on what he does expect from them?

I'm so tired of the circus act that is the Oilers organization.

In the Journal this morning he says he doesn't think we're having scoring problems either.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2013/11/15/edmonton-oilers- head-coach-dallas-eakins-thinks-team-playing-well-getting-lo oks-not-puck-luck/

Quote:

Don’t count Eakins, by the way, among those who think his team is struggling to score.

“Look at the chances from the Dallas game (a 3-0 loss on Wednesday night),” Eakins said. “We’ve got two wide-open nets, where the goalie (Kari Lehtonen) made a hell of a save and (we) hit the crossbar.

“Those are two tap-ins, usually. So, I’m not buying into the ‘we-can’t-score’ right now. We’re getting some good looks at their net."

It's all good people.

Re: Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #21) [message #615251 is a reply to message #615242 ]
Sat, 16 November 2013 13:09 Go to previous message

3 Cups

rukm01 wrote on Sat, 16 November 2013 12:06

It's all good people.

Yeah, I won't start to worry until we're 31st in the NHL. Chill pill taken.

..talk is cheap
..success is coming
..limitless potential

Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #22)
Next Topic:Guerin for Carter
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright OilFans.com 1996-2013.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca