Oilers » Potter up, Fedun down
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Potter up, Fedun down [message #614496]
Tue, 12 November 2013 23:50 Go to next message
Ales Cooper  is currently offline Ales Cooper

1 Cup

File this under "what the hell"?
http://oilers.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=22664

"The Edmonton Oilers have assigned defenceman Taylor Fedun to the Oklahoma City Barons of the American Hockey League and have recalled defenceman Corey Potter."

This organization never ceases to amaze me.

In fairness to Hall, I've wanted to throw a waterbottle at Eakins all season.
~nullterm 03/22/2014

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Potter up, Fedun down [message #614497 is a reply to message #614496 ]
Tue, 12 November 2013 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

3 Cups

Sadly, this is probably the least frustrating Oilers news of the day.

Re: Potter up, Fedun down [message #614509 is a reply to message #614497 ]
Wed, 13 November 2013 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

1 Cup

This doesn't make any sense at all. Fedun is a smart defenseman that has played well.

Head-scratcher...

Re: Potter up, Fedun down [message #614498 is a reply to message #614496 ]
Tue, 12 November 2013 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lzetsen  is currently offline lzetsen

No Cups

He looked good in the game too, I don't get it either.

Maybe they are trying to protect him since every player who comes up and plays well with the team who is new, gets hurt in like 3 games.

Re: Potter up, Fedun down [message #614499 is a reply to message #614496 ]
Tue, 12 November 2013 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

6 Cups

6 games, 1 assist, -5 in the AHL.

This should help!

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Potter up, Fedun down [message #614501 is a reply to message #614499 ]
Wed, 13 November 2013 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ziltoid  is currently offline ziltoid

No Cups

What a terrible message to send to the kid. Scores two goals in 4 games, keeps his head above water, then gets sent down in favor of a guy who, according to his stats, is at best treading water in OKC.

I suppose one could argue that the season is done, and by swapping Fedun for Potter, management is ensuring that Taylor is given the proper time to further develop via big minutes in OKC while the expendable asset (Potter) struggles with the sinking Oiler ship. To be honest though, I would rather Mr. Fedun stay so that we can see if he has what it takes to play full-time in the NHL. If we are going to miss the playoff yet again, why not see what we have in players such as Fedun, Larsen, etc. so that we can know whether to keep them or parlay them into something useful via a trade package. We know what we have in players such as Potter, and the sooner we know whether Fedun et al. are, or are very close to, NHL ready (hint: 4 games is too small a sample size), the sooner we can start to develop a strategy for next season.

Re: Potter up, Fedun down [message #614502 is a reply to message #614501 ]
Wed, 13 November 2013 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ales Cooper  is currently offline Ales Cooper

1 Cup

This has to be the most confusing season I have ever witnessed. I honestly dont think they know if they are re-rebuilding, developing, competing, inept-ing or playing marbles.

I dont get it.

What a mess.

In fairness to Hall, I've wanted to throw a waterbottle at Eakins all season.
~nullterm 03/22/2014

Re: Potter up, Fedun down [message #614504 is a reply to message #614502 ]
Wed, 13 November 2013 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clutchlikeeberle  is currently offline clutchlikeeberle

No Cups

Man, do anyone else feel like we are down, wounded and Oilers Management continues to kick and laugh at us as we try to stay alive?

Re: Potter up, Fedun down [message #614510 is a reply to message #614504 ]
Wed, 13 November 2013 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

1 Cup

Yep. This move makes no sense at all.

Re: Potter up, Fedun down [message #614517 is a reply to message #614510 ]
Wed, 13 November 2013 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oilerman53  is currently offline Oilerman53

1 Cup

This my friends is exactly how to run a hockey team, give Cory Pronger another chance at being too slow in the defensive zone and basically useless physically. This almost beats the Sam Gagner defensive faceoff in the dying minutes decision fromna few nights ago.

"Dallas' hair, flawless!"

Re: Potter up, Fedun down [message #614524 is a reply to message #614496 ]
Wed, 13 November 2013 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

I don't really care about this. I assume Justin Schultz will be back playing again soon anyhow, so a defenceman (and I think we know it would likely be Fedun) was coming out of the lineup anyhow. The only other argument would be that Larsen should have come out...he of the 3 assists, -3 game the other night.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireEakins #FireActon #FireSmith #FireBuchberger #FireMoores #Burnitdown #KeepJoey

Re: Potter up, Fedun down [message #614525 is a reply to message #614496 ]
Wed, 13 November 2013 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prophet  is currently offline Prophet

No Cups

Our long nightmare is over. Salvation is on it's way, and it's name is Corey Potter.

"They will play what I tell them to play, for I am the mayor of Albuquerque"

Re: Potter up, Fedun down [message #614548 is a reply to message #614525 ]
Wed, 13 November 2013 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
6zeppelin6  is currently offline 6zeppelin6

1 Cup

Im hoping this is a showcase game for Potter, just to prove he can still play in the NHL for a trade of sorts.

When you get all set to watch the game, and within 10 minutes the Oilers are losing:

http://i59.tinypic.com/2wd0gth.gif

Re: Potter up, Fedun down [message #614552 is a reply to message #614548 ]
Wed, 13 November 2013 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hibernia  is currently offline Hibernia

1 Cup

6zeppelin6 wrote on Wed, 13 November 2013 14:03

Im hoping this is a showcase game for Potter, just to prove he can still play in the NHL for a trade of sorts.

I'm not a huge fan of the concept of "showcase" but you could be right. It could also be the case that the Oilers want to see if Potter can play in Eakins system. It's obvious that MacT bolstered the blueline int he off-season with a lot of 5-7 d-men despite there already being a whack of them already here or on the way via OKC in the coming years. The team lacks high-end depth, but the shallow end of the pool is still pretty full. After the current perceived top four of Petry, Belov, Jultz and Ference, there's still a log jam behind them with Nultz, Larsen, Potter, Grebeshkov, Fedun capable of playing the role at a minimal replacement level with Nurse, Klefbom, Marincin, Gernat, Musil, Davidson & Simpson waiting for their seat at the table to come open.

If Potter can play in it (who knows??) then maybe it opens up another deal involving a d-man. At the very least it gives Eakins a chance to evaluate his current skills first-hand. At the rate they're going, he's going to get a look at a lot of these young guys this season. Hell, maybe that's the plan. With the cap going up next year and a boatload of talent up front, perhaps this year's portion of the long-term goal was to find out which current NHL-calibre d-men can actually play under Easkins long-term and which can't. It'll be easier to address the holes if you have a proper handle on what they are.

Given Nelson's experience with the core while down in OKC, I'm not convinced the Oilers still aren't tanking.

Re: Potter up, Fedun down [message #614558 is a reply to message #614552 ]
Wed, 13 November 2013 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rekkin  is currently offline Rekkin

No Cups

Go home MacT you're drunk! (Try not to hit anyone on the way...) mischief

The people you are sure are wrong are just as sure that you are wrong. The only difference is they're wrong. - God @TheTweetOfGod

Re: Potter up, Fedun down [message #614561 is a reply to message #614558 ]
Wed, 13 November 2013 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

4 Cups

Rekkin wrote on Wed, 13 November 2013 11:18

Can't even say it's too soon.

This was all so very predictable.

Re: Potter up, Fedun down [message #614597 is a reply to message #614558 ]
Wed, 13 November 2013 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bryan Halls Toupee  is currently offline Bryan Halls Toupee

No Cups

Rekkin wrote on Wed, 13 November 2013 11:18

*** sprays coffee all over monitor ***

Re: Potter up, Fedun down [message #614549 is a reply to message #614496 ]
Wed, 13 November 2013 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

3 Cups

Ales Cooper wrote on Tue, 12 November 2013 23:50

File this under "what the hell"?
http://oilers.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=22664

"The Edmonton Oilers have assigned defenceman Taylor Fedun to the Oklahoma City Barons of the American Hockey League and have recalled defenceman Corey Potter."

This organization never ceases to amaze me.

They must seriously be using a specially-marked dart board to make their player decisions. This is just flabbergasting.

The typical Oil fan after a game:
http://i.imgur.com/FddGWAw.gif

Re: Potter up, Fedun down [message #614574 is a reply to message #614496 ]
Wed, 13 November 2013 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

I'm sorta indifferent.

Fedun still can benefit getting important minutes in the AHL.

This season is a wash. Why rush him in to this mess for no reason? People in this town are so quick to sign off on players as "NHL ready" on such small sample sizes too.

I like a "feel good" story too, but Fedun won't push this team into the playoffs anyway. Let him get big minutes.

Limecat Logic

Re: Potter up, Fedun down [message #614581 is a reply to message #614574 ]
Wed, 13 November 2013 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

g2k wrote on Wed, 13 November 2013 12:13

I'm sorta indifferent.

This season is a wash. Why rush him in to this mess for no reason? People in this town are so quick to sign off on players as "NHL ready" on such small sample sizes too.

I like a "feel good" story too, but Fedun won't push this team into the playoffs anyway. Let him get big minutes.

The thing with Fedun is that he needs to make that jump to the NHL sooner rather than later. He's not a kid.... in his mid-to-late 20s, that's when he should be entering into his prime. He's already older than Justin Schultz, Philip Larsen, and is only 6 months younger than Jeff Petry. That's not to say anything of some of the younger kids like Brandon Davidson, Martin Marincin, Darnell Nurse, or Oscar Klefbom.

If he doesn't find a place for himself on that blueline soon, he could find himself being squeezed out in between the young, experienced vets like Schultz and Petry and the incoming kids like Nurse and Klefbom.

Re: Potter up, Fedun down [message #614585 is a reply to message #614581 ]
Wed, 13 November 2013 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Wed, 13 November 2013 12:48

I'm sorta indifferent.

The thing with Fedun is that he needs to make that jump to the NHL sooner rather than later. He's not a kid.... in his mid-to-late 20s, that's when he should be entering into his prime. He's already older than Justin Schultz, Philip Larsen, and is only 6 months younger than Jeff Petry. That's not to say anything of some of the younger kids like Brandon Davidson, Martin Marincin, Darnell Nurse, or Oscar Klefbom.

If he doesn't find a place for himself on that blueline soon, he could find himself being squeezed out in between the young, experienced vets like Schultz and Petry and the incoming kids like Nurse and Klefbom.

Do we care about that? I don't think Fedun is a long-term Oiler. I just don't see him holding a spot against all those coming up. He's got as much chance to impress NHL teams with big time in the AHL as he does playing limited minutes in the NHL. He wasn't exactly getting a huge vote of confidence when he was in the lineup. 11 minutes and change in all but the game vs. Tampa when he had 14. By far the least played defenceman on the team in each game.

It's great he got a couple of goals. He's a nice feel-good story, but I am sorry, I don't think he's a huge upgrade over Corey Potter. I think it's a saw-off at best. So I don't care which one of them gets to be the 6th defenceman until Justin Schultz returns to the lineup.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireEakins #FireActon #FireSmith #FireBuchberger #FireMoores #Burnitdown #KeepJoey

Re: Potter up, Fedun down [message #614601 is a reply to message #614585 ]
Wed, 13 November 2013 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 13 November 2013 12:55

I'm sorta indifferent.

Do we care about that? I don't think Fedun is a long-term Oiler. I just don't see him holding a spot against all those coming up. He's got as much chance to impress NHL teams with big time in the AHL as he does playing limited minutes in the NHL. He wasn't exactly getting a huge vote of confidence when he was in the lineup. 11 minutes and change in all but the game vs. Tampa when he had 14. By far the least played defenceman on the team in each game.

It's great he got a couple of goals. He's a nice feel-good story, but I am sorry, I don't think he's a huge upgrade over Corey Potter. I think it's a saw-off at best. So I don't care which one of them gets to be the 6th defenceman until Justin Schultz returns to the lineup.

I don't mind the idea of carrying Fedun as a 7th defenseman next season. He's an RFA, so we have his rights beyond this year, unlike Potter or Grebeshkov. Because of his age and his ceiling, I'd rather have him sitting in the pressbox with the Oilers than someone like Klefbom or Nurse. So I guess that's how I see him fitting in moving forward, not a key member of the club, but a guy who they'll hang onto and who can step in if there is an injury.

Put another way, despite me not seeing him as a key member of the club moving forward, I see him as more likely to stick with the Oilers than Potter or Grebeshkov. And because of that, I probably would prefer him getting some NHL experience over a guy who will walk at the end of the year.

It's not a huge issue, and I'm not worked up over it. Maybe it's best for him to get major minutes in OKC... I'm not sure. But my initial reaction is that I think it makes more sense to play Fedun and get him some NHL game experience than it does to bring up Potter. Unless they are trying to showcase him and move a contract to a team like Detroit.

Re: Potter up, Fedun down [message #614602 is a reply to message #614585 ]
Wed, 13 November 2013 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prince Albert 1  is currently offline Prince Albert 1

No Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 13 November 2013 13:55

I'm sorta indifferent.

If it's a saw off then play the up and comer. The guy who has not yet had a fair chance to prove his worth at the NHL level. You're not dealing with an 18 year old rookie here. The guy has earned the opportunity to prove he can either swim in the NHL or he can't. Potter has already had that opportunity. He's an AHLer.

Re: Potter up, Fedun down [message #614604 is a reply to message #614602 ]
Wed, 13 November 2013 15:15 Go to previous message

6 Cups

Prince Albert 1 wrote on Wed, 13 November 2013 14:39

If it's a saw off then play the up and comer. The guy who has not yet had a fair chance to prove his worth at the NHL level. You're not dealing with an 18 year old rookie here. The guy has earned the opportunity to prove he can either swim in the NHL or he can't. Potter has already had that opportunity. He's an AHLer.

I get that hating Corey Potter became the cool thing to do last year, but he's not really deserving the scorn. He's not the star PP quarterback he looked like in the first dozen or two games of his career, but he's not a bad depth defenceman.

27 points in 104 NHL games. +8 on the Oilers last year, despite playing third pairing with Whitney for half the year. That was tied for the team lead, by the way. He's -9 for his career, despite pretty much always playing on an absolutely terrible hockey team.

He doesn't hit much for a guy his size, which upsets everyone no end always, but I'm less concerned with that if he can avoid getting scored on and can retrieve the puck and advance it.

Potter is a perfectly adequate 6/7 defenceman. This isn't a move that is going to dramatically affect the Oilers one way or another. And I'd be surprised if he doesn't get more icetime than Taylor Fedun was seeing.

Previous Topic:Smid opens up on Oilers' woes
Next Topic:Since Katz purchased the Oil
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2014.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca