This day on August 27
Acquired: Shayne Corson (1992) Brent Gilchrist (1992) Vladimir Vujtek (1992)
Departed: Vincent Damphousse (1992)

Happy Birthday To: izzyb, 94oilers83, greatgazoo

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » GDT: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #4)Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: GDT: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #609400 is a reply to message #609385 ]
Thu, 10 October 2013 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmc  is currently offline hmc

4 Cups

hemskyfan99 wrote on Fri, 11 October 2013 00:10

hmc wrote on Thu, 10 October 2013 22:08

feepa wrote on Fri, 11 October 2013 00:06

A bit early to pull the goalie isn't it? Over 4 mins left?

He's playing the numbers. I love it.

Ya great numbers.... sure worked out

Did you ever respond when was the last time a team won 3 goals down pulling a goal with 7 minutes left?

I don't think you understand what the point of the early pull is, still. Did you read the article I posted? Or did you "look" at it?

I'm not really prepared to engage in this discussion with you until you demonstrate that you know what you're not talking about, and not just speaking emotionally. I haven't been since the beginning, so you acting like I'm the one that's shying away from the discussion is puzzling.

Then I'll just regress, because I feel I've made myself perfectly redundant.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: GDT: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #609403 is a reply to message #609400 ]
Thu, 10 October 2013 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
v4ance  is currently offline v4ance

2 Cups

hmc wrote on Thu, 10 October 2013 22:21

Did you ever respond when was the last time a team won 3 goals down pulling a goal with 7 minutes left?

I don't think you understand what the point of the early pull is, still. Did you read the article I posted? Or did you "look" at it?

I'm not really prepared to engage in this discussion with you until you demonstrate that you know what you're not talking about, and not just speaking emotionally. I haven't been since the beginning, so you acting like I'm the one that's shying away from the discussion is puzzling.

Technically, the percentages show that teams won't come back from 2 goal deficits anyways but the act of pulling the goalie earlier increases that chance to make the comeback. Really, if you're going to lose, why care if it is 2 goals or 3?

It's the same for short yardage 4th down gambles in the NFL. The odds actually favor the gamble but most NFL coaches are risk averse and will settle for the conservative play.

To use a poker analogy, if you're gonna go, go all in.

Jordan Eberle on his goal scoring: "A lot of guys joke that I have a muffin. Well, it's an accurate muffin, and that's all that counts."

Re: GDT: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #609409 is a reply to message #609403 ]
Thu, 10 October 2013 22:37 Go to previous message
hmc  is currently offline hmc

4 Cups

v4ance wrote on Fri, 11 October 2013 00:29

Technically, the percentages show that teams won't come back from 2 goal deficits anyways but the act of pulling the goalie earlier increases that chance to make the comeback. Really, if you're going to lose, why care if it is 2 goals or 3?

It's the same for short yardage 4th down gambles in the NFL. The odds actually favor the gamble but most NFL coaches are risk averse and will settle for the conservative play.

To use a poker analogy, if you're gonna go, go all in.

Exactly. This seems obvious, but apparently it isn't.

Then I'll just regress, because I feel I've made myself perfectly redundant.

Re: GDT: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #609404 is a reply to message #609400 ]
Thu, 10 October 2013 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hemskyfan99  is currently offline hemskyfan99

2 Cups

I have read the article do you want a report on it or something.
He gives 4 strategies in each of the scenarios and it ranks them from the average number of points from the 07-08 data.

So now to my actual question was when was the last time a team scored that was losing by 3 goals down and pulled the goalie with 7 minutes left.

Re: GDT: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #609387 is a reply to message #609383 ]
Thu, 10 October 2013 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hallsy  is currently offline Hallsy

No Cups

I agree. It lights a fire under our offense and suddenly the defense remembers how to play to their full potential. Gutsy. Eakins Rules.

Re: GDT: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #609375 is a reply to message #609371 ]
Thu, 10 October 2013 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the flying stortini  is currently offline the flying stortini

No Cups

Stauffer said this week the asking price on Schneider was a 1st, a 2nd, and Marincin.

Show of hands who would rather have an NHL goalie over three players who might make the team by 2016....

(Raises hand, looks around...)

Not to be negative on Dubnyk, and I know it's early, but man. A potential star goalie and not losing a single one of the kids... too bad.

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z364/stortswasanoiler/Untitled-1.jpg中 RED DRAGONS 中
rukm01 wrote on Sun, 01 July 2012 21:54

Souray is a Duck is one letter away from being totally accurate.

Re: GDT: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #609378 is a reply to message #609375 ]
Thu, 10 October 2013 22:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prince Albert 1  is currently offline Prince Albert 1

No Cups

the flying stortini wrote on Thu, 10 October 2013 22:01

Stauffer said this week the asking price on Schneider was a 1st, a 2nd, and Marincin.

Show of hands who would rather have an NHL goalie over three players who might make the team by 2016....

Not to be negative on Dubnyk, and I know it's early, but man. A potential star goalie and not losing a single one of the kids... too bad.

As much as I'd like to see an upgrade in goal that 1st woulda been Nurse. Not willing to pay that for a guy who MIGHT be marginally better than DD

Re: GDT: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #609389 is a reply to message #609378 ]
Thu, 10 October 2013 22:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigEfromGP  is currently offline bigEfromGP

2 Cups

Prince Albert 1 wrote on Thu, 10 October 2013 22:04

the flying stortini wrote on Thu, 10 October 2013 22:01

As much as I'd like to see an upgrade in goal that 1st woulda been Nurse. Not willing to pay that for a guy who MIGHT be marginally better than DD

That, and the fact that Gillis was being a dick. Anyone else, the price was much lower.

So it would have made more sense to wait for the trade, and then immediately call and make the trade with the new team. OR, call me crazy, be a little proactive in the goalie department and have this crap sorted out and not be dependant on a division rival trading you a possibly franchise goalie.

And, ftr, Adam and I had a wager about DD vs Schneids that was upset by the lockout. Adam argued that DD was at least equal to Schneids.

oilerinvan should never leave Oilfans.

Re: GDT: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #609391 is a reply to message #609378 ]
Thu, 10 October 2013 22:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ggibbs  is currently offline ggibbs

No Cups

Not going to win many games playing like this. You got a team on a back to back at home, you have to bury them. Played hard, but not very smart. To many bad passes, fanned shots, and turn overs.

Re: GDT: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #609380 is a reply to message #609302 ]
Thu, 10 October 2013 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

I'm not critical of pulling a goalie early when 3 goals down, but 2 goals down with 4 minutes on the clock wouldn't be my choice.

Limecat Logic

Re: GDT: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #609382 is a reply to message #609380 ]
Thu, 10 October 2013 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

2 Cups

Then Hemsky hits the post.

Back-to-back prediction champ

Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3]  
Previous Topic:Copper & Blue interview with Darnell Nurse
Next Topic:Pregame: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #4)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2014.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca