F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » NHL Mascots/ advertising gold
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 NHL Mascots/ advertising gold [message #608477]
Fri, 04 October 2013 09:45 Go to next message
v4ance  is currently offline v4ance

2 Cups

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/nhl-mascot-comm ercials-best-thing-ll-see-today-151335502--nhl.html

Jordan Eberle on his goal scoring: "A lot of guys joke that I have a muffin. Well, it's an accurate muffin, and that's all that counts."

Send a private message to this user  

Re: NHL Mascots/ advertising gold [message #608481 is a reply to message #608477 ]
Fri, 04 October 2013 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

2 Cups

Awesome ads (just made it through the first three so far)

As much as he's Flames property, I'd rather see Harvey in there than some of these newer ones. Harvey is probably one of the best in any sport, with or without tongue.

Back-to-back prediction champ

Re: NHL Mascots/ advertising gold [message #608495 is a reply to message #608481 ]
Fri, 04 October 2013 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oil Tycoon  is currently offline Oil Tycoon

1 Cup

Suomalainen wrote on Fri, 04 October 2013 11:52

As much as he's Flames property, I'd rather see Harvey in there than some of these newer ones. Harvey is probably one of the best in any sport, with or without tongue.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I'm guessing Harvey the Hound had more important things to do this summer- like getting ressurected from the dead.
I'm sure they would have Harvey on there as he is one of the more well known NHL maskots out there, but the flood situation in Calgary wiped him out pretty good.

Re: NHL Mascots/ advertising gold [message #608543 is a reply to message #608481 ]
Fri, 04 October 2013 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hallsy  is currently offline Hallsy

No Cups

I agree to disagree. Harvey is a terrible mascot. Harvey doesn't even hold a candle to the Trappers (RIP) 'Homer', 'Nanook' or the best mascot in professional sports....The Raptor!

Re: NHL Mascots/ advertising gold [message #608544 is a reply to message #608543 ]
Fri, 04 October 2013 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

Hallsy wrote on Fri, 04 October 2013 23:30

I agree to disagree. Harvey is a terrible mascot. Harvey doesn't even hold a candle to the Trappers (RIP) 'Homer', 'Nanook' or the best mascot in professional sports....The Raptor!

I do enjoy watching the Raptor eat cheerleaders.

Re: NHL Mascots/ advertising gold [message #608581 is a reply to message #608544 ]
Sat, 05 October 2013 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmc  is currently offline hmc

4 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Sat, 05 October 2013 01:37

Hallsy wrote on Fri, 04 October 2013 23:30

I do enjoy watching the Raptor eat cheerleaders.

Don't forget my longtime avatar:

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/516980/2009_medium.gif

Then I'll just regress, because I feel I've made myself perfectly redundant.

Re: NHL Mascots/ advertising gold [message #608545 is a reply to message #608481 ]
Fri, 04 October 2013 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

6 Cups

The two Sharkie ones near the end are my favourites. What a jerk.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: NHL Mascots/ advertising gold [message #608540 is a reply to message #608477 ]
Fri, 04 October 2013 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

I enjoyed these, but if Puck Daddy didn't tell me what product they were for, I'd have no idea.

Entertainment value = high. Marketing value = not so high. Good times all the same.

Re: NHL Mascots/ advertising gold [message #608560 is a reply to message #608540 ]
Sat, 05 October 2013 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rjayd2  is currently offline rjayd2

No Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Fri, 04 October 2013 23:16

I enjoyed these, but if Puck Daddy didn't tell me what product they were for, I'd have no idea.

Entertainment value = high. Marketing value = not so high. Good times all the same.

Yeah the repeated statement every single commercial ends with of "Pay like a true fan with the new SoctiaHockey Debit Card" sure is one obtuse message.

I work in this industry -- This is brilliant marketing.

Re: NHL Mascots/ advertising gold [message #608567 is a reply to message #608560 ]
Sat, 05 October 2013 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

rjayd2 wrote on Sat, 05 October 2013 11:47

Yeah the repeated statement every single commercial ends with of "Pay like a true fan with the new SoctiaHockey Debit Card" sure is one obtuse message.

Yeah, but what's the tie in with everything else happening in the commercials? How does Carlton getting out of a freezer tie into paying with a debit card? How does Fin colouring and annoying Stinger tie back to paying with a debit card?

The best of the bunch is the debit roulette because it actually shows the product.

I work in the industry too, and frankly, I just disagree. It's fun, it'll go viral, but as far as these tieing back to the product in a unified message, I don't see a strong connection. You have to do more than slap a one liner at the end, especially when it has very little to do with what is going on in the rest of the ad.

[Updated on: Sat, 05 October 2013 13:19]

Re: NHL Mascots/ advertising gold [message #608757 is a reply to message #608567 ]
Sun, 06 October 2013 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rjayd2  is currently offline rjayd2

No Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Sat, 05 October 2013 13:15

rjayd2 wrote on Sat, 05 October 2013 11:47

Yeah, but what's the tie in with everything else happening in the commercials? How does Carlton getting out of a freezer tie into paying with a debit card? How does Fin colouring and annoying Stinger tie back to paying with a debit card?

The best of the bunch is the debit roulette because it actually shows the product.

I work in the industry too, and frankly, I just disagree. It's fun, it'll go viral, but as far as these tieing back to the product in a unified message, I don't see a strong connection. You have to do more than slap a one liner at the end, especially when it has very little to do with what is going on in the rest of the ad.

You must be one of the marketing suits then. ;)

What did frogs and talking possums have to do with beer? Great advertising is about creating a brand that resonates with the audience's emotions and make you say "I get this humour and mindset -- I'm part of this tribe". These ads are strong because they aren't hard selling the product. They are simply humorous, entertaining, vignettes that make me pay attention and want to show other people (the aim of commercials -- to be paid attention to and valued).

Re: NHL Mascots/ advertising gold [message #608556 is a reply to message #608477 ]
Sat, 05 October 2013 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oil Tycoon  is currently offline Oil Tycoon

1 Cup

I think we need a mascot. Get rid of the cheerleaders (so American) and get us a good mascot with character. An oil-rigger? A huge orange oildrop with arms and legs and eyes? Something??? A platapouse?

Re: NHL Mascots/ advertising gold [message #608579 is a reply to message #608556 ]
Sat, 05 October 2013 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

6 Cups

Oil Tycoon wrote on Sat, 05 October 2013 07:15

I think we need a mascot. Get rid of the cheerleaders (so American) and get us a good mascot with character. An oil-rigger? A huge orange oildrop with arms and legs and eyes? Something??? A platapouse?

Just get a fuzzy animal and throw a jersey on him. It's for kids so go cute & cuddly.

It's too bad the Jets have a moose already ( http://jets.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=80070 ) as it'd be a great Messier tie in.

Maybe they have the Cracker Cat mascot kicking around still (thankfully that name is long dead).

http://www.nlfan.com/edmonton/photos/cowboyCrusher.jpg

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: NHL Mascots/ advertising gold [message #608768 is a reply to message #608579 ]
Sun, 06 October 2013 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

4 Cups

Just because I'm me and I'm obligated to do so on this board every time the Cracker-Cats are mentioned, I really liked that team, logo, and name. Me and my game worn jerseys will go to the corner and sulk now.

WAC's and GAB's. WAC's and GAB's.

Re: NHL Mascots/ advertising gold [message #608785 is a reply to message #608768 ]
Sun, 06 October 2013 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

2 Cups

I could give two flips about cheerleaders or ice girls, or even a mascot for that matter. Having said that, there is something about a cute anthropomorphic animal that seems to help out the brand. The only thing I'd ask if the Oilers ever got one, would be that it isn't arctic/north-related.

Back-to-back prediction champ

Re: NHL Mascots/ advertising gold [message #608811 is a reply to message #608768 ]
Mon, 07 October 2013 01:17 Go to previous message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Sun, 06 October 2013 11:39

Just because I'm me and I'm obligated to do so on this board every time the Cracker-Cats are mentioned, I really liked that team, logo, and name. Me and my game worn jerseys will go to the corner and sulk now.

The CrackerKitties were cute too. And it was a really nice way to spend a hot summer afternoon...drinking at the ball park.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireEakins #FireActon #FireSmith #FireBuchberger #FireMoores #Burnitdown #KeepJoey

Re: NHL Mascots/ advertising gold [message #608761 is a reply to message #608477 ]
Sun, 06 October 2013 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
7mf2  is currently offline 7mf2

No Cups

Am I the only one who thinks these ads are mediocre at best. To me other than the camera work, the famous mascots and the budget, these seem to be no better than a 16 year old could create in their highschool TV arts class.

The jokes seemed obvious and I couldn't help but think that they were associating acting like an jerk with being a hockey player/fan.

Maybe I'm just getting cranky in my old age? confused2

Previous Topic:Horcoff "You can't do that"
Next Topic:Brule released by Coyotes on PTO
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2014.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca