This day on September 1
Acquired: Danny Gare (1986) Jozef Cierny (1993)
Departed: Craig Simpson (1993) Ian Herbers (1999)

Happy Birthday To: Stainless, speeds, vintage_oil

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Reimer
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Reimer [message #608381]
Wed, 02 October 2013 20:15 Go to next message
v4ance  is currently offline v4ance

2 Cups

Total speculation here but what do people here think of trying to get Reimer out of Toronto?

Since Maple Leafs brass is convinced that Bernier is "The Next One" maybe there's a chance to smuggle out the better goalie?

Jordan Eberle on his goal scoring: "A lot of guys joke that I have a muffin. Well, it's an accurate muffin, and that's all that counts."

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Reimer [message #608395 is a reply to message #608381 ]
Thu, 03 October 2013 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

2 Cups

v4ance wrote on Wed, 02 October 2013 19:15

Total speculation here but what do people here think of trying to get Reimer out of Toronto?

Since Maple Leafs brass is convinced that Bernier is "The Next One" maybe there's a chance to smuggle out the better goalie?

IMHO price will be too high, now, wait until Bernier is playing majority of games, Riemer is warming the bench. Riemer isn't great, but unfortunately he's playing better than what I think Dubnyk can do. Consistently coughing up multiple soft goals can't happen.

Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Re: Reimer [message #608407 is a reply to message #608381 ]
Thu, 03 October 2013 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mullet  is currently offline Mullet

1 Cup

I think you are on the right track. If you can't swing a deal here, your next call is to ANA to try and pry one out of there which might be tougher as we are in the same div.

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher, smarter, faster and better looking than most people.

Re: Reimer [message #608415 is a reply to message #608381 ]
Thu, 03 October 2013 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dkb19  is currently offline dkb19

1 Cup

I'd rather sign Bryzgalov to a 2 year/2 way contract for just above league minimum (incentive laden, with one incentive being based upon keeping his crazy mouth shut). Reimer would be great, but would cost a fair bit, Bryz can be had for almost nothing.

5 Cups and counting.

Re: Reimer [message #608428 is a reply to message #608415 ]
Thu, 03 October 2013 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

dkb19 wrote on Thu, 03 October 2013 10:16

I'd rather sign Bryzgalov to a 2 year/2 way contract for just above league minimum (incentive laden, with one incentive being based upon keeping his crazy mouth shut). Reimer would be great, but would cost a fair bit, Bryz can be had for almost nothing.

That's because he's being had for nearly what he's worth. I'll take Dubs over him any day.

"Life is warfare and the sojourn of a stranger in a strange land." - Marcus Aurelius

Re: Reimer [message #608538 is a reply to message #608381 ]
Fri, 04 October 2013 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

I'm a pretty big James Reimer fan. I worked with him at a camp the summer after he was drafted, and just a really good guy, very humble, very committed.

As a goaltender, I think he gets scrutinized pretty heavily in Toronto. I think he's a reliable, good, NHL starter.

However... I think Dubnyk is a good NHL starter too. His numbers last year point to this - he's was Top-15 in a lot of categories. My biggest problem with Dubnyk is his lack of consistency, especially in his habit of giving up one bad goal per game, often at inopportune times. If he could iron that out of his game, I'd be a lot happier.

It'll be an interesting year for Dubnyk. If he plays like he did last season, he'll likely be able to command a deal worth $5M - $6M per season (market value for most starting goalies heading into UFA years). If I'm the Oilers, I'm hesitant to commit that much money long term. But if not Dubnyk than who? This is where the idea of maybe making a move for a guy like Reimer makes sense.

I'll also be interested to see how the changes to the goaltender's pads affect Dubnyk's game.

Certainly some decisions to be made this season.

Re: Reimer [message #608553 is a reply to message #608538 ]
Sat, 05 October 2013 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

1 Cup

I love statistics...

Dubnyk is the furthest thing from clutch. He lets in bad goals far too often and rarely stone-walls teams when we need to close out a game.

Regardless of his stats, he will not command big dollars until he's proven that he can carry a team and win games.

[Updated on: Sat, 05 October 2013 09:11]

Re: Reimer [message #608555 is a reply to message #608553 ]
Sat, 05 October 2013 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

4 Cups

HamBlaster wrote on Sat, 05 October 2013 07:32

I love statistics...

Dubnyk is the furthest thing from clutch. He let's in bad goals far too often and rarely stone-walls teams when we need to close out a game.

Regardless of his stats, he will not command big dollars until he's proven that he can carry a team and win games.

I agree here, but there is probably some sort of statistical measure for sucking under pressure.

A co-worker suggested save percentage when one goal up or down, or in the third period, etc.

Learning is the most important part of learning basic defence.

Re: Reimer [message #608557 is a reply to message #608555 ]
Sat, 05 October 2013 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

1 Cup

That's an angle that I've never seen covered before... however I agree, is likely vitally important to the value of a goaltender.

Case in point. No one would argue that Tommy Salo was a top goaltender in the NHL... however that guy COULD be clutch. Would I take a Tommy Salo at his best over Dubnyk? Every day of the week.

Roloson is an even better example.

[Updated on: Sat, 05 October 2013 09:16]

Re: Reimer [message #608591 is a reply to message #608557 ]
Sat, 05 October 2013 17:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bossy22  is currently offline Bossy22

No Cups

I think this would be the best move they could do. I would offer up something like Hemsky, Mancini, and a 1st for Reimer, Liles, and a 2nd.

Congrats to the Edmonton Oilers, Stanley Cup champs of 2014.

Re: Reimer [message #608598 is a reply to message #608591 ]
Sat, 05 October 2013 17:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Bossy22 wrote on Sat, 05 October 2013 17:02

I think this would be the best move they could do. I would offer up something like Hemsky, Mancini, and a 1st for Reimer, Liles, and a 2nd.

Great handle.

However, I don't like your trade proposal. We give up the best player in Hemsky for an expensive minor leaguer and a goalie controversy. We already have two NHL goalies, so a third wheel doesn't go well and while I think Reimer's taken an unfair amount of abuse in Toronto, I don't think it's certain that he's miles better than Dubnyk.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireEakins #FireActon #FireSmith #FireBuchberger #FireMoores #Burnitdown #KeepJoey

Re: Reimer [message #608656 is a reply to message #608598 ]
Sat, 05 October 2013 21:14 Go to previous message
Oilerman53  is currently offline Oilerman53

No Cups

Jake Allen would be a better target at this time, St Louis has Elliot and Halak playing in front of him. I wonder what it would take to pry him out of there?

After 8 years of ineptitude you begin to wonder whose the real schmuck? Them for sucking or me for cheering....... *cracks open bottle of whiskey*.

Previous Topic:Season Expectations?
Next Topic:Nugent-Hopkins to return next week
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2014.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca