This day on April 20
None

Happy Birthday To: Nesticle, goffer48, The Goat, HezzyB, Oilbleeder, thesituation, Patorious

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Eager placed on waiversPages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Eager placed on waivers [message #608382 is a reply to message #608379 ]
Wed, 02 October 2013 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hallsy  is currently offline Hallsy

No Cups

g2k wrote on Wed, 02 October 2013 20:05

Hallsy wrote on Wed, 02 October 2013 19:17

As for Gazdic taking his spot....in one single game, Gazdic played harder than Eager has ever played in his entire time with the club. .

Settle down....

doh

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Eager placed on waivers [message #608383 is a reply to message #608379 ]
Wed, 02 October 2013 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Wed, 02 October 2013 19:05

As for Gazdic taking his spot....in one single game, Gazdic played harder than Eager has ever played in his entire time with the club. .

Settle down....

Abrupt, but he's probably right.

Or atleast my thought was that Eager has had two (albiet shortened) seasons to prove himself and has never convinced he's a keeper. And now he's handcuffed with a concussion history so fighting isn't on his resume.

Gazdic on the other hand developed a rep at the AHL level for doing exactly what his role is (Eakins, Nelson in OKC both can vouch for that). And when he did that in game #1 of his NHL career (ignoring the goal even)... the rest is history.

Game 1 was just the final straw. MacT & Eakins both probably looked at the longer term history of both and came to the conclusion.

[Updated on: Wed, 02 October 2013 20:37]

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Eager placed on waivers [message #608405 is a reply to message #608383 ]
Thu, 03 October 2013 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

4 Cups

You're giving MacT way too much credit. I doubt he had the longview on this.

Learning is the most important part of learning basic defence.

Re: Eager placed on waivers [message #608529 is a reply to message #608383 ]
Fri, 04 October 2013 18:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Wed, 02 October 2013 20:35

g2k wrote on Wed, 02 October 2013 19:05

Settle down....

Abrupt, but he's probably right.

Or atleast my thought was that Eager has had two (albiet shortened) seasons to prove himself and has never convinced he's a keeper. And now he's handcuffed with a concussion history so fighting isn't on his resume.

Gazdic on the other hand developed a rep at the AHL level for doing exactly what his role is (Eakins, Nelson in OKC both can vouch for that). And when he did that in game #1 of his NHL career (ignoring the goal even)... the rest is history.

Game 1 was just the final straw. MacT & Eakins both probably looked at the longer term history of both and came to the conclusion.

I just thought it was a bit over the top.

Not to make any comparison in players, but more so in "possible" premature hype. I remember a few years ago MacIntyre destroying some Flame with a hit and then gave Prust a good sound beating. That hype machine was roaring in the same lane as this "first game"

I'm encouraged, but I need to see more before I start mapping out his career.

Limecat Logic

Re: Eager placed on waivers [message #608378 is a reply to message #608261 ]
Wed, 02 October 2013 20:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

Seems knee jerk to me. We were told Ben will get a long look. That was long?

We go from having Mr Useless JF Jacques in the lineup for a zillion games with no goals.......to this.

Oh we'll. I was hoping Eager could show more. There could be a lot about Ben that isn't known to a schlub like me.

I guess the book will close.

Limecat Logic

Re: Eager placed on waivers [message #608401 is a reply to message #608261 ]
Thu, 03 October 2013 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

2 Cups

I figure Eager gets through waivers, without having to clear coming back up now, it might be a good move, Eager wasn't going to pull a regular shift, they likely want to keep Go-Go-Gadget playing, this way Eager gets ice time in OKC, bring his game up to par, good depth for a call up in case of injury. The guy can skate, just has to play smart.

Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Re: Eager placed on waivers [message #608419 is a reply to message #608261 ]
Thu, 03 October 2013 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Ben Eager clears waivers (Alexander Urbom was claimed by the Capitals) - as per Elliotte Friedman on twitter. If Oilers plan was to reduce number of contracts, they'll have to do it another way. Eager off to OKC.

[Updated on: Thu, 03 October 2013 11:30]

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireEakins #FireActon #FireSmith #FireBuchberger #FireMoores #Burnitdown #KeepJoey

Re: Eager placed on waivers [message #608441 is a reply to message #608419 ]
Thu, 03 October 2013 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 03 October 2013 11:28

Ben Eager clears waivers (Alexander Urbom was claimed by the Capitals) - as per Elliotte Friedman on twitter. If Oilers plan was to reduce number of contracts, they'll have to do it another way. Eager off to OKC.

"Plan." "Oilers."

Lol.

"I'm not reading Skoobz' banter." - NotLeeFogolin
The 2013-14 Edmonton Oilers... Breaking Ekblad

Re: Eager placed on waivers [message #608472 is a reply to message #608261 ]
Fri, 04 October 2013 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
v4ance  is currently offline v4ance

2 Cups

http://oilersnation.com/2013/10/3/learning-the-cba

Gregor:Do you have to be compliant to the $64.3 million every day or how does that work?

Howson: Yes, they watch every move and they are calculating it on a daily basis. It can get really complicated with long term injury, with performance bonus and what not. The Oilers, we are in a really unique position because no one had the number one over all picks that carry the heavy performance bonuses that we have. This year we have [Nail] Yakupov, [Ryan] Nugent-Hopkins, [Justin] Schultz, who is like a number one pick, with these heavy performance bonuses. So we are in a really unique position. They [the NHL] have someone watching the rosters every day, and if you make a move that is going to take you over the cap, then they are not going to allow it.

The more stuff that comes out, the more I believe that the waiver of Eager was a two part strategy.

If someone claimed him, it would free up the contract spot and more cap room for flexibility down the line in the event of a trade or free agent acquisition. Since he passed through, even a few days down in the AHL can help the overall bottom line.

Grinding out the pennies (as it were) by micromanaging a multi-million dollar cap early in the season may just pay off later in the season if we have a pickup or two and need to squeeze every last dollar to get them under.

Jordan Eberle on his goal scoring: "A lot of guys joke that I have a muffin. Well, it's an accurate muffin, and that's all that counts."

Re: Eager placed on waivers [message #608542 is a reply to message #608261 ]
Fri, 04 October 2013 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

This "waive everyone, save cap room" is a pretty interesting strategy by the Oilers. I'm honestly not sure how I feel about it. This feels like a MacTavish MBA experiment.

Given what they have, they are saving some cap space without sacrificing depth. But it also might sway them to play the cheapest player rather than the most deserving player. And it kind of makes me wonder why some of these guys were signed in the first place (Ryan Jones, Ben Eager not bought out).

It's got to be a little frustrating for some of those players. And it'll be interesting to see what happens after the month ends (or however long it is before they have to clear waivers again).

Re: Eager placed on waivers [message #608548 is a reply to message #608542 ]
Sat, 05 October 2013 02:34 Go to previous message
Ales Cooper  is currently offline Ales Cooper

1 Cup

29 other teams passed on Ben so...

My guess is, they like what they have seen from this new kid with the funny name. Given his age, he fits in the plans a little more long term than Eager does.

I'm not sure where this "waive everyone" thing comes from however. Jones clearly played himself off the team. Eager? What has he ever done to deserve a spot? Am I missing someone monumental?

In fairness to Hall, I've wanted to throw a waterbottle at Eakins all season.
~nullterm 03/22/2014

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #2)
Next Topic:Oilers claim Luke Gazdic
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright OilFans.com 1996-2013.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca