Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » Colbourne to Calgary
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Colbourne to Calgary [message #607668]
Sat, 28 September 2013 22:21 Go to next message
v4ance  is currently offline v4ance

2 Cups

Jonas Siegel ‏@jonasTSN1050

Joe Colborne dealt to Calgary for 4th round pick. Wasn't able to distinguish himself at camp in Toronto.

Jordan Eberle on his goal scoring: "A lot of guys joke that I have a muffin. Well, it's an accurate muffin, and that's all that counts."

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Colbourne to Calgary [message #607670 is a reply to message #607668 ]
Sat, 28 September 2013 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ggibbs  is currently offline ggibbs

No Cups

Calgary kid with close ties to the team and community. Could be a good fit.

Re: Colbourne to Calgary [message #607671 is a reply to message #607668 ]
Sat, 28 September 2013 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle

Moving Colborne wasn't directly a cap move (his salary's tiny) but the Leafs are so tight they can't carry extra forwards. Becomes casualty. Colborne also a casualty of carrying multiple enforcers. A young, cheap centre with even small upside seems a decent 12th/13th forward.

Stephen Whyno ‏@SWhyno

#Leafs say 4th-round pick acquired from #Flames for Colborne could be upgraded to 3rd "if certain conditions are met in the upcoming season"

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer

Local boy Joe Colborne returns to Calgary. He has some skill but is slow and soft. If he plays with more compete could be OK

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC

More detail MT @SUNGilbertson conditional 4th-rounder for Colborne. Becomes 3rd if he gets 10 G or 35 P this season and Flames make playoffs

Heather Marginet ‏@margih99

So the Flames traded for someone that they were 6th in line to get on waivers? Hmm...

Flames make the playoffs? Well guess that settles it. 4th rounder it is!

[Updated on: Sat, 28 September 2013 23:25]

Jordan Eberle on his goal scoring: "A lot of guys joke that I have a muffin. Well, it's an accurate muffin, and that's all that counts."

Re: Colbourne to Calgary [message #607677 is a reply to message #607671 ]
Sat, 28 September 2013 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mdurech  is currently offline mdurech

No Cups

At least they make a trade to help their center position... I can think of one GM thats still sitting on his hands...

Re: Colbourne to Calgary [message #607679 is a reply to message #607677 ]
Sat, 28 September 2013 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

mdurech wrote on Sat, 28 September 2013 23:12

At least they make a trade to help their center position... I can think of one GM thats still sitting on his hands...

Unless MacT is sending hookers to Nonis, he's not making that insider deal. Burke fleeced his protege, Nonis, plain and simple.

Besides, whining about MacT's inaction is jumping the gun before he's made any moves.

Re: Colbourne to Calgary [message #607731 is a reply to message #607679 ]
Sun, 29 September 2013 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

v4ance wrote on Sat, 28 September 2013 23:23

Unless MacT is sending hookers to Nonis, he's not making that insider deal. Burke fleeced his protege, Nonis, plain and simple.

Besides, whining about MacT's inaction is jumping the gun before he's made any moves.

Burke's hands are obviously all over this, but I certainly would not call this trade a "fleece"

Re: Colbourne to Calgary [message #607738 is a reply to message #607731 ]
Sun, 29 September 2013 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

JPro wrote on Sun, 29 September 2013 12:26

v4ance wrote on Sat, 28 September 2013 23:23

Burke's hands are obviously all over this, but I certainly would not call this trade a "fleece"

From Corey Pronman:

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1578

Toronto Maple Leafs Top 10 Prospects

1. Morgan Rielly, Defense
2. Joe Colborne, Center
3. Frederik Gauthier, Center
4. Matt Finn, Defense
5. Stuart Percy, Defense
6. Josh Leivo, Left Wing
7. Tom Nilsson, Defense
8. Tyler Biggs, Right Wing
9. Jesse Blacker, Defense
10. Greg McKegg, Left Wing

2. Joe Colborne, Center
2011-12 Ranking: 2nd
Date of birth: 01/30/1990
Height: 6'5''
Weight: 213
Shoots: Left
Statistics: 65 GP, 14 G, 48 P (Toronto, AHL)
Acquired: Trade from Boston, first round, 16th overall in 2008 by Boston

Year in Review: Colborne was up and down again last season, although he was good for extended stretches in the second half, and he earned some brief time with the Leafs.

The Good: Colborne is a high-end playmaker who can make very creative and difficult distributions. He excels on the power play when he can slow the game down, see his options, and work the puck around. Colborne has a solid to above-average skill level as well, and with his improving skating, he is solid for a big man, and pro average overall.

The Bad: Colborne is big, but he is not all that great in the physical game aside from protecting the puck. His consistency has been and remains his biggest issue. He is also not the best defensive forward, although his positioning is average.

Projection: He could be a second line forward, but he has above-average uncertainty.

4th rounders tend to have less than a 10% chance of developing into a player so trading for a former 1st rounder who has a better than 50% chance to play NHL games is a great trade. Other than Nonis, I think every GM would be happy to make this trade in this situation.

Re: Colbourne to Calgary [message #607740 is a reply to message #607738 ]
Sun, 29 September 2013 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Colbourne is another in the Penner mold. He's going to frustrate most people who want him to be a banger. He may, like Penner, have other things to contribute. He certainly puts up points better than Will Acton, although not to the level of Marc Arcobello.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireEakins #FireActon #FireSmith #FireBuchberger #FireMoores #Burnitdown #KeepJoey

Re: Colbourne to Calgary [message #607772 is a reply to message #607738 ]
Sun, 29 September 2013 19:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

v4ance wrote on Sun, 29 September 2013 11:59

4th rounders tend to have less than a 10% chance of developing into a player so trading for a former 1st rounder who has a better than 50% chance to play NHL games is a great trade. Other than Nonis, I think every GM would be happy to make this trade in this situation.

Colborne was drafted in 2008. I think we're beyond projecting his chances of making the NHL based on draft position, no?

As for him being ranked 2nd amongst prospects in the Leafs system, I would think that says more about the Leafs prospect pool than it does about Colborne's ability.

Colborne's role is to put up points and he's been decidedly average at it at the AHL level. We'll see how that transfers to the NHL.

Re: Colbourne to Calgary [message #607787 is a reply to message #607772 ]
Mon, 30 September 2013 01:10 Go to previous message

2 Cups

Goose wrote on Sun, 29 September 2013 19:15

v4ance wrote on Sun, 29 September 2013 11:59

Colborne was drafted in 2008. I think we're beyond projecting his chances of making the NHL based on draft position, no?

As for him being ranked 2nd amongst prospects in the Leafs system, I would think that says more about the Leafs prospect pool than it does about Colborne's ability.

Colborne's role is to put up points and he's been decidedly average at it at the AHL level. We'll see how that transfers to the NHL.

Based on Pronman's rating and articles like this, I think Colbourne has some untapped upside:

http://theleafsnation.com/2013/9/29/mistakes-and-new-beginni ngs

Colbourne was a ~1 ppg player in the AHL when he initially arrived via trade from Boston. He had an undisclosed wrist injury that hampered him for the past 2 years that he's attempted to play through. It finally sounds like he's healthy and ready to take the next step to becoming either a large bodied 2nd line center or a bottom 6 checker.

Even if you take out his draft position, from Pronman's recap, Colbourne appears to have a better than 50% chance to become a productive NHLer in some capacity. Especially with the Flames having a season long open tryout for future centers. That still beats the odds of drafting any random 4th rounder.

Previous Topic:Voukun Traded to Pitt and signs 2 yr deal
Next Topic:Crazy Cogliano goal
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2014.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca