This day on December 22
None

Happy Birthday To: corey22

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Veteran Pick-Up or Rookie at Centre?
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Veteran Pick-Up or Rookie at Centre? [message #607299]
Tue, 24 September 2013 15:35 Go to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

4 Cups

With Sam Gagner out, if you were GM, what would you rather do. Take a risk on Arco or someone similar already in the system, or try to sign an unsigned FA?

My personal take is that if you're going to take a risk on a player, the start of the year is the best time, and trade-deadline while on the cusp of a playoff spot, as in the Smithson acquisition, is the worst.

This is primo "see if the kids has it" time. My choice would be Arcobello because all reports point to good stuff, and he's AHL proven.

Thoughts? Player(s)? Reasons?

Learning is the most important part of learning basic defence.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Veteran Pick-Up or Rookie at Centre? [message #607319 is a reply to message #607299 ]
Tue, 24 September 2013 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

6 Cups

Give Arco a shot, we're already screwed till Nuge and Gags get back anyways so couldn't hurt. Arco will put up more points than Smithson could ever dream of.

Someone get me a blank NHL contract and time machine, set date to Grabovsky free agency window.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Veteran Pick-Up or Rookie at Centre? [message #607427 is a reply to message #607319 ]
Wed, 25 September 2013 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mars  is currently offline Mars

1 Cup

nullterm wrote on Tue, 24 September 2013 16:53

Give Arco a shot, we're already screwed till Nuge and Gags get back anyways so couldn't hurt. Arco will put up more points than Smithson could ever dream of.

Someone get me a blank NHL contract and time machine, set date to Grabovsky free agency window.

I got a laugh from your post!

Initially I thought go get someone via trade, but I've warmed to Arco so I say give him the opportunity. But, I would still be discussing trades just to see what might drop in my lap if I'm MacT.

There is no absolute that this team will win with another coach, but I'd suggest that it is an absolute that this team will continue to be unsuccessful with the players' current level of attention, effort and turnovers.

Re: Veteran Pick-Up or Rookie at Centre? [message #607321 is a reply to message #607299 ]
Tue, 24 September 2013 17:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

3 Cups

Give Arco a shot is my vote too. I'm just wondering if this means that Lander gets to fill a roster spot by default...

The typical Oil fan after a game:
http://i.imgur.com/FddGWAw.gif

Re: Veteran Pick-Up or Rookie at Centre? [message #607390 is a reply to message #607299 ]
Wed, 25 September 2013 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigred75  is currently offline bigred75

No Cups

I'd try to find a solid vet on waivers or via trade for a defensive prospect. Not sure who would be out there, but would it would help right now with the deficiency down the middle and help later to bolster the middle when the injured return.

"I followed it with my blocker and hit my knob and went in,” said Dubnyk.

Re: Veteran Pick-Up or Rookie at Centre? [message #607400 is a reply to message #607390 ]
Wed, 25 September 2013 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

They asked Mac-T that exact question after the game last night at his response was that at this point in time they would fill that gap internally.

I'm guessing Arco.

Re: Veteran Pick-Up or Rookie at Centre? [message #607403 is a reply to message #607299 ]
Wed, 25 September 2013 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

3 Cups

I think you've got to give Arcobello a chance. He's done all he can do at the AHL level... let's see what he has at the NHL level. Last night he looked good between Eberle and Perron, and while it's still pre-season, he's worth a look before you go out and trade a pretty decent asset trying to land a 2C or 3C.

I also think that if Arcobello proves he is the better than Acton, once RNH and Gagner are back, Arcobello should stick as the 4C. I don't understand why so many people feel the 4C needs to be an absolute black hole of offense. If he can play defense, win some draws, then give him a couple big wingers and see what happens.

Having said that, I wouldn't be opposed to them trying to get a 4C. Lander was disappointing, and Acton was as expected - not good enough. The Oilers like him for some reason (the cynic in me thinks having his dad on the bench might be part of this), but if they can upgrade that position and get a proven 4C vet in here (that still has some game left in him), then I probably would make that move. Moving a defensive prospect (like David Musil) might be a good place to find assets to acquire such a centre.

Re: Veteran Pick-Up or Rookie at Centre? [message #607404 is a reply to message #607403 ]
Wed, 25 September 2013 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

At some points during the game last night Lander reminded me of myself out there.

Anyone who's been to Heckle knows that's not a good thing.

Although looks can be deceiving, I'd like to see some numbers of Lander.

Re: Veteran Pick-Up or Rookie at Centre? [message #607405 is a reply to message #607404 ]
Wed, 25 September 2013 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi is currently online CrusaderPi

4 Cups

Magnum wrote on Wed, 25 September 2013 09:42

At some points during the game last night Lander reminded me of myself out there.

Aren't you 2-0 in the Heckle? That sounds pretty good to me.

This was all so very predictable.

Re: Veteran Pick-Up or Rookie at Centre? [message #607451 is a reply to message #607405 ]
Wed, 25 September 2013 12:08 Go to previous message

4 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 25 September 2013 09:46

Magnum wrote on Wed, 25 September 2013 09:42

Aren't you 2-0 in the Heckle? That sounds pretty good to me.

I'm also +5, but +0 in the last game, so downward trending.

I attribute mine and the team's success to my fear inducing presence, ala Steve Mac.

You can just see those guys clam up when they know I'm on the bench. That, or when they see how bad I am, they take their foot off the gas.

Previous Topic:Ryan Jones on waivers
Next Topic:MacT Press Conf - Eakins Hired
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2014.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca