4.Boston (Iggy) 0 / 0%
5.Edmonton (Ference/Gordon/Labarbera) 13 / 14%
6.NYI (Bouchard/Nabakov) 0 / 0%
7.Nashville (Stalberg/Cullen/Nystrom) 11 / 12%
8.New Jersey (Ryder/Clowe/Olesz) 1 / 1%
9.Philadelphia (Emery/Danis) 2 / 2%
10.Columbus (Horton) 2 / 2%
11.other 22 / 24%

In your opinion, who has made the biggest splash on Day 1 of Free Agency?

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Who has done the best so far? [message #603037 is a reply to message #603033 ]
Sat, 06 July 2013 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve  is currently offline Steve

1 Cup

You should add Ottawa to the list. Notwithstanding losing Alfie, they gained MacArthur and Ryan.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Re: Who has done the best so far? [message #603197 is a reply to message #603037 ]
Sun, 07 July 2013 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Steve wrote on Sat, 06 July 2013 11:30

You should add Ottawa to the list. Notwithstanding losing Alfie, they gained MacArthur and Ryan.

I think Ottawa tops the list. They made a very tough choice on Alfredsson, offering him less than he wanted. He signed for $5.5MM, but is he really worth that now? He had 26 points in 47 games this season, so we're talking a 45-50 point player, assuming he doesn't decline further. He's 41 in December, so that's a big assumption. It's a tough thing walking away from a player who's spent his whole career with your team, but if he can't accept a number that fits in to your cap situation, it's a choice that had to be made. I don't like Murray at all, going back to his backstabbing of Muckler after the 1997 Cup Finals, but I have to say, I think he made the right choice here...

I often wish the Oilers made a similar choice last summer...

Especially when you consider that he turned around and added a 26 year old who plays the same position, scored more points last year, and is $400,000 cheaper. Yes, Ryan only had 30 points last season, but I think there's a lot better chance of Bobby Ryan returning to his peak (71 points in 2010-11) than there is of any rebound in Alfie's numbers.

MacArthur is another nice pickup. Another guy coming off a down season, but again in his peak years at age 28.

The Senators have done well so far this summer with a team that was already arguably the best Canadian team last year.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireEakins #FireActon #FireSmith #FireBuchberger #FireMoores #Burnitdown #KeepJoey

Re: Who has done the best so far? [message #603038 is a reply to message #603033 ]
Sat, 06 July 2013 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

Voted Detroit, but Nashville and Ottawa deserve full marks too. Those three, I'm my mind, are a fair bit ahead of the rest in terms of moves to improve their clubs this summer.

Re: Who has done the best so far? [message #603046 is a reply to message #603038 ]
Sat, 06 July 2013 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
messier11  is currently offline messier11

No Cups

Ahh! Very sorry, I missed Ottawa in the list. That should account for most of the "other" votes. That was a mistake on my part, I was looking at the FA list mostly and forgot about that trade.

Re: Who has done the best so far? [message #603048 is a reply to message #603046 ]
Sat, 06 July 2013 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

6 Cups

Detroit, adding two top six guys is nothing to sneeze at. They almost always win at free agency.

Ottawa close second getting Bobby Ryan.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Who has done the best so far? [message #603064 is a reply to message #603048 ]
Sat, 06 July 2013 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
messier11  is currently offline messier11

No Cups

I also missed Lecavalier on Philly, sorry for the terrible poll guys...

Re: Who has done the best so far? [message #603107 is a reply to message #603033 ]
Sat, 06 July 2013 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

Miscellaneous thoughts:

Boston - With a near 6 mil cap hit that was demanded by the Seguin camp that then came into fruition, fitting him into a deep lineup as a top 2 center in the immediate or long-term future of the franchise became a confusing burden. Boston did well shipping off Seguin and Peverly's contracts into a finesse natural winger in Louie Eriksson (timely goals, size, high end playmaking skill, great penalty killing) that fit their immediate needs not to mention prospect Reilly Smith whom everybody projects to be a 25 goal scorer one day. Iginla essentially replaces Nathan Horton except with a much shorter 1 year contract instead of 5+ year commitment.

Phoenix - Ribeiro played his best hockey under Tippet in Dallas. He put up 83 points in 07-08, which was his best year yet a season that comes to mind is 08-09 where he put up 78 points when Brad Richards spent most of that year injured meaning he went against the top defence pairings night in and night out. Underachieving player, but we'll see if Tippet can bring the best out of him in Phoenix.

Edmonton - Ference is a decent deal I think, but Boyd Gordon/Richard Bachmann/Justin Labarbera were necessities while getting rid of Horcoff's cap hit with a small return was the best move this offseason. No Horcoff alone makes me do backflips still.

Detroit - About 5 mil for Stephen Weiss seems kinda steep, but it was a better deal than 5 mil per year for Valterri Filpula. Weiss plays both ends of the ice, has good speed, playmaking, finish, and has much better hands than Val Filpula who IMO is more of a tweener between 2nd/3rd line center minus the timely goal scoring touch. With Alfredsson in the mix, Wings can roll three scoring lines or have Weiss as the 2nd line center with Zetterberg shifting back to the wing. I'd be ecstatic if Sam Gagner could be 80% of the player Weiss is one day, but hopefully his contract brings the expectations of #89's camp back to earth.

Toronto - About 4 mil a year for Bozak with those terms increases their chances of getting Kessel back in the mix for more years while David Clarkson was probably a better fit for the team with his contract demands opposed to the Oilers cap situation & team roster. To keep Bozak without overpaying him and getting Jonathan Bernier for healthy competition in net is a win in itself. This team will be hard to play against like the early 2000s teams especially with Clarkson/Bolland in the mix.

Nashville - With good power forwards in Stalberg & Hornquist while adding grit via Nystrom and another good 3rd line faceoff man in Matt Cullen, this is a squad that will go back to executing Trotz hockey to a tee. They were fortunate to have Seth Jones fall into their laps as the D core is as deep as ever meaning they can ship off a guy on the back end before the trade deadline for another skilled scorer.

New Jersey - Getting Corey Schneider for a 1st round draft pick was clutch (esp since they didn't get Luongo's contract LOL) while this franchise has always done a great job of revitalizing conflicted players. The projects this time around are Olesz & Clowe while Ryder can provide timely scoring.

Philadelphia - Good cheap deal for Ray Emery. Having Vinny Lecavlier as a 2nd line Center gives Brayden Schenn and Sean Couturier more time to develop at a reasonable pace (or makes either one very attractive trade bait to address other needs). I guess the buyouts of Briere and Bryz weren't so bad seeing how Ed Schneider & Comcast have more money than God. Mark Streit is an overpay in my opinion, but he seems to be the heir apparent to Kimmo Timonen who only has one more year left on his contract. This team is over the cap, but they should get some relief as Pronger's hit will be off before season starts due to LTIR status making it possible to retain Brayden Coburn.

Columbus - Should be a stacked team even before Nathan Horton gets healthy. He's a solid power forward at the wing who can also win face offs if his center is kicked out of the circle. I have faith he'll get healthy again as I wish the Oilers had room for a player like him. Much more favorable division/conference with a better travel schedule helps out teams like Columbus, Detroit, and Winnpeg. I think this team will be a force next year, but it's definitely still a stacked conference with Pitt, NJ, NYI, Philly, and Rangers (weakest link) in it.

Dallas - I'm baffled as to why they would need all these centerman in Seguin, Benn, Horcoff, Fiddler, Eakin, and Peverly. Eakin as their 2nd/3rd line center was a spark plug & least of their problems last season. But now they have more depth as Benn can switch back to LW where he's definitely more explosive. Team has a solid core to build around that will need more bodies at the wing seeing how they had to give up Loui Eriksson. Sergei Gonchar with three years will be useful when Robidas isn't likely to be retained after this next season. Could Daley or Goligoski be trade bait to get more wingers? Thank God Horcoff's cap hit is no longer in Edmonton, haha suckers.

[Updated on: Sat, 06 July 2013 16:49]

Re: Who has done the best so far? [message #603114 is a reply to message #603033 ]
Sat, 06 July 2013 19:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
v4ance  is currently offline v4ance

2 Cups

I've been predicting that the Red Wings were due for a letdown with their ancient (by hockey standards) roster but Ken Holland shows why he's a genius again this year. By picking up Alfredsson and Weiss, he weakened two divisional opponents (Detroit moving to join Florida and Ottawa) and got stronger as well.

Alfredsson knew that the Sens were going to pick up Bobby Ryan but still chose the Wings over the Senators. Instead of complimenting Alfie, Ryan will now need to replace him. I think Paul MacLean will have to do very little to motivate his team in matches against Hockeytown.

Kudos to the Red Wings again. Good trades and UFA signings have kept them at the top for the past 15 years. Looks like they'll be highly competitive for at least 2 more years now.

Jordan Eberle on his goal scoring: "A lot of guys joke that I have a muffin. Well, it's an accurate muffin, and that's all that counts."

Re: Who has done the best so far? [message #603136 is a reply to message #603114 ]
Sat, 06 July 2013 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

v4ance wrote on Sat, 06 July 2013 20:07

I've been predicting that the Red Wings were due for a letdown with their ancient (by hockey standards) roster but Ken Holland shows why he's a genius again this year. By picking up Alfredsson and Weiss, he weakened two divisional opponents (Detroit moving to join Florida and Ottawa) and got stronger as well.

Alfredsson knew that the Sens were going to pick up Bobby Ryan but still chose the Wings over the Senators. Instead of complimenting Alfie, Ryan will now need to replace him. I think Paul MacLean will have to do very little to motivate his team in matches against Hockeytown.

Kudos to the Red Wings again. Good trades and UFA signings have kept them at the top for the past 15 years. Looks like they'll be highly competitive for at least 2 more years now.

I don't think getting another aging forward in his late 30's at a 5.5 cap hit was a drastic need though Weiss will be an excellent fit.

Their biggest need was puckmoving veteran help on defence as a Mark Streit or Sergei Gonchar would've been more useful for their young D pairings.

Re: Who has done the best so far? [message #603116 is a reply to message #603033 ]
Sat, 06 July 2013 19:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mars  is currently offline Mars

No Cups

Who voted for the Oilers?

Re: Who has done the best so far? [message #603118 is a reply to message #603116 ]
Sat, 06 July 2013 19:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

6 Cups

Mars wrote on Sat, 06 July 2013 18:20

Kevin Lowe, Craig MacTavish, Scott Howson.

Seriously though the did good. Not great, but good.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Who has done the best so far? [message #603120 is a reply to message #603116 ]
Sat, 06 July 2013 19:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmc  is currently offline hmc

4 Cups

Mars wrote on Sat, 06 July 2013 21:20

Or the Leafs? They made the playoffs last year on the strength of their goaltending, so Bernier is redundant, Bozak stinks, and Grabovski and MacArthur for Clarkson is a net loss. Bolland is the only real potential bright spot, but he was awful last year. They "upgraded" areas that didn't need upgrading.

Then I'll just regress, because I feel I've made myself perfectly redundant.

Re: Who has done the best so far? [message #603189 is a reply to message #603116 ]
Sun, 07 July 2013 17:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

4 Cups

Mars wrote on Sat, 06 July 2013 19:20

I full on drinking the kool-aid now and it tastes goooooood.

WAC's and GAB's. WAC's and GAB's.

Re: Who has done the best so far? [message #603206 is a reply to message #603189 ]
Sun, 07 July 2013 23:00 Go to previous message
halfafrog  is currently offline halfafrog

1 Cup

I'm not sure what all the excitement is about Detroit. Alfredson may break his hip when he falls this summer he is so old. He could decline another 20-25% in point production at that age easily. Just another old Swede playing for Detroit.

I would like to be the first to thank Kevin Lowe for the lost decade....

Previous Topic:Ryan McDonagh signs 6 yr extension
Next Topic:Clarkson to Leafs
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2014.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca