This day on August 21
Acquired: Don Jackson (1981) Pat Falloon (1998) Dan Smith (2003)
Departed: Don Murdoch (1981)

Happy Birthday To: Entwhistle, ameeratif, Rosco11, etnies.80

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » The Real Oilers Plan
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 The Real Oilers Plan [message #593402]
Sun, 24 March 2013 12:43 Go to next message
MrOiler  is currently offline MrOiler

No Cups

I am not a huge Richard Cloutier fan, in fact I am a bit of an anti-fan of his writing. However, in his blog post (see the link), he speculates the real Oilers plan that management has - and it includes at least another season of suck.

Given the age of the core players he lists (and it's a reasonable list), I don't think he is wrong. There are still too many holes to fill.

Have a read. It takes half of the article to get to the plan, but I think he nails what's in store (give or take a body or two).

It's not what anyone wants to hear, but even the great HHOF Oiler team took 6 years of Gretzky playing professional hockey to win a cup. The Oil are still a few years away from the core of this team having 6 years of professional hockey.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Richard-Cloutier/Whos-to-Blam e-for-the-Situation-in-Edmonton/131/50214

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr109/MrOiler/Oilers/id_banner3.jpg

Send a private message to this user  

Re: The Real Oilers Plan [message #593406 is a reply to message #593402 ]
Sun, 24 March 2013 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

3 Cups

I think he's giving the oilers management way too much credit. They thought this year would be a turning point, and it's looking like it won't be, so they're just gonna get another top prospect, get some 1-dimensional borderline NHLers to fill what they think the holes are and hope it works out next year. There are some really crappy teams out there that do the exact same thing over and over again and have for a long time.

[Updated on: Sun, 24 March 2013 13:14]

..talk is cheap
..success is coming
..the game that we present and stage for the fans most nights is one of very, very high entertainment
..limitless potential
..good structural improvement

Eakins: I know EXACTLY what we need to do next year...

Re: The Real Oilers Plan [message #593407 is a reply to message #593406 ]
Sun, 24 March 2013 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

6 Cups

I agree. Another year of suck wasn't in the plan. Thinking of management as a bunch of masterminds trying to use the play the system to build a winner gives them too much credit. Look at the Oilers between 06 and the start of the "Rebuild" every season was progressively worse.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: The Real Oilers Plan [message #593408 is a reply to message #593407 ]
Sun, 24 March 2013 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

3 Cups

They've already allowed a lack of team toughness hamper the development of their top picks with injuries. I wonder if that was part of the genius master plan?

And why waste a year of Yak's contract on a shortened season if the plan was to suck?

[Updated on: Sun, 24 March 2013 13:26]

..talk is cheap
..success is coming
..the game that we present and stage for the fans most nights is one of very, very high entertainment
..limitless potential
..good structural improvement

Eakins: I know EXACTLY what we need to do next year...

Re: The Real Oilers Plan [message #593413 is a reply to message #593407 ]
Sun, 24 March 2013 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Sun, 24 March 2013 13:10

I agree. Another year of suck wasn't in the plan. Thinking of management as a bunch of masterminds trying to use the play the system to build a winner gives them too much credit. Look at the Oilers between 06 and the start of the "Rebuild" every season was progressively worse.

Not only do I concur wholeheartedly, I think that if that WAS the plan, these guys should all be shown the door. At this point, we've completely wasted the entry-level contracts of Hall & Eberle with Nugent-Hopkins and Schultz done theirs at the end of next year. You can't compare this to a Gretzky-era build because A) the landscape is different now with the salary cap and much more expensive players, and so you don't have a decade with the virtually the same team and B) there's just no comparison. The Oilers of the early 80s build to the Cup looked like this:

1979-80: 28-39-13 16th place, made playoffs, lost to President Trophy winning Flyers (who made the Finals)
1980-81: 29-35-16 14th place, made playoffs, upset Habs, lost to defending & eventual champs Islanders
1981-82: 48-17-15 2nd place, upset in Rd. 1 - Miracle on Manchester
1982-83: 47-21-12 3rd place, breezed through playoffs losing just once before the Finals where they lost again to Islanders.
1983-84: 57-18-5 President's Trophy Winners, Stanley Cup Winners.

Where does that build look anything remotely close to what we have seen here the last few years!?! If this was supposed to look like 1979-80, then we have no chance, because we don't have five more years to get the team to the Cup. There were seven players on that 79-80 team that still lifted the Cup with the team in May 1984. How many of today's players will still be here in five years? I wouldn't bet more than four or five. Other than Horcoff and Hemsky, the entire team has changed over from five years ago (Smyth doesn't count since he left and came back, so he's twice been part of the turnover).

At bare minimum, if the Oilers don't somehow perform miracles down the stretch and make the playoffs, Steve Tambellini has to be sent off to pasture. If Lowe is involved in any master plan that involves any kind of continued suckitude, then he too has to go.

I'm sorry, but being the smartest guys in the room does NOT result in you getting lottery picks for year after year after year.

PS. Richard Cloutier is a terrible writer.

[Updated on: Sun, 24 March 2013 14:38]

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireEakins #FireActon #FireSmith #FireBuchberger #FireMoores #Burnitdown #KeepJoey

Re: The Real Oilers Plan [message #593454 is a reply to message #593413 ]
Sun, 24 March 2013 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
goalpost  is currently offline goalpost

No Cups

Jonathon Willis made same comment on Oilers "rebuild" in his article today:
http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2013/03/24/nevermind-the-bo os-the-edmonton-oilers-should-be-happy-enough-people-showed- up-to-jeer-at-all/

Quote:

There has been a lot to be displeased about. It’s not just this season, though this season hasn’t gone well; it’s about the direction of the team in general. If 2013 slips away, as seems likely, the Oilers will have burned through the entirety of the entry-level contracts of Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle. By way of contrast, Chicago won the Stanley Cup before Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane ended their entry-level deals while the Pittsburgh Penguins went to the Stanley Cup finals in the last year of Sidney Crosby’s entry-level deal, and won before Evgeni Malkin’s first contract had ended. Fans in general seemed to support the Oilers’ decision to rebuild; but thus far the rebuild has been short on building.

St Louis demonstrated the Oilers are no where near being a championship team when the template is to win this year or next.

I had generally considered Oilers were following Chicago and Pittsburgh as the template for the oilers rebuild. It is evident that the Oilers are not going to win a Stanley Cup this year and highly unlikely next unless there are drastic changes.

Re: The Real Oilers Plan [message #593458 is a reply to message #593454 ]
Sun, 24 March 2013 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

goalpost wrote on Sun, 24 March 2013 21:05

I had generally considered Oilers were following Chicago and Pittsburgh as the template for the oilers rebuild. It is evident that the Oilers are not going to win a Stanley Cup this year and highly unlikely next unless there are drastic changes.

If the Oil are going to be using the same sort of plan that the Hawks and Pens did, then they're just about at that point where they need to sack their management and coaching to move forward, just like those teams did.

"Life is warfare and the sojourn of a stranger in a strange land." - Marcus Aurelius

Re: The Real Oilers Plan [message #593515 is a reply to message #593402 ]
Mon, 25 March 2013 12:07 Go to previous message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

MrOiler wrote on Sun, 24 March 2013 12:43

I am not a huge Richard Cloutier fan, in fact I am a bit of an anti-fan of his writing. However, in his blog post (see the link), he speculates the real Oilers plan that management has - and it includes at least another season of suck.

Given the age of the core players he lists (and it's a reasonable list), I don't think he is wrong. There are still too many holes to fill.

Have a read. It takes half of the article to get to the plan, but I think he nails what's in store (give or take a body or two).

It's not what anyone wants to hear, but even the great HHOF Oiler team took 6 years of Gretzky playing professional hockey to win a cup. The Oil are still a few years away from the core of this team having 6 years of professional hockey.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Richard-Cloutier/Whos-to-Blam e-for-the-Situation-in-Edmonton/131/50214

Who's got a Cup on the radar right now?

6 Years with Gretzky as a pro, can't really count the last year of the WHA, and even so, I believe the Oilers finished 1st that season in the WHA and were Avco Cup finalists.

That team was very competitive & dangerous within a year or two of entering the league. They were in the finals in their 4th year and won by their 5th. Probably should have gone fairly deep in their 3rd year, were upset by a lesser team. Comparing 'this' team to that one is being very, very generous to the 2012/13 Oilers, to say the least. That would imply at least one championship involving the core of this team, and today that seems like a reach.

You can't even mention the Oilers in the same thread as "Cup". They're only marginally more competitive than they've been the last 3 lottery years. Imagine if this were March of a regular length season? Would the Oilers even be within 10 points of the 8th seeded playoff team?

No, I think all anyone's looking for in the here and now is for a team that isn't someone's doormat or slump-buster, a team that absolutely HATES to lose, that shows up consistently, that doesn't slump en masse offensively, and has a true identity. These, to me are the true gauges of progress. These, to me, will indicate a positive trend for this hockey team.....even moreso than gazing at the roster, a collection of gifted offensive talent that somehow can't produce goals. I look at the Oilers for any of what I listed for the here and now, and I don't know if I can honestly tell myself I see a lot of these attributes in today's team.

The whole point of my rant is that the consistency, hating to lose, true identity (all attributes of a team building into competitiveness), 'should' be starting to show in this hockey team and I can't say that it is.

Any mention of the Edmonton Oilers in terms of "Stanley Cup" is pretty laughable, as is any comparison of the current team to likely the best NHL hockey team ever assembled.

Previous Topic:Gagner out 2 weeks (2009)
Next Topic:Oilers select Toni Rajala at #101 (4th round)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2014.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca