This day on July 24
Departed: Domenic Pittis (2002) Brian Swanson (2003)

Happy Birthday To: hyperlite_27, nbratrud1

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » The Code
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 The Code [message #588468]
Wed, 06 February 2013 23:01 Go to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

So there's a lot of talk today about Zac Rinaldo and his late punch on BJ Crombeen.

There's all these people talking about how he broke the Code with the punch (three of them actually) after Crombeen was falling. Pang talked in the intermission about how he talked to Kelly Chase and a couple other old fighters and they all thought it was a dirty move and something that shouldn't happen. You get the impression that the Code is as old as time...

But that's not really so. The Code between brawlers is a fairly recent phenomenon. In the past we had all sorts of guys fighting long after the refs stepped in or the guy had fallen to the ice. There was little qualms about jumping in to help out your teammate as well.

And yes, Kelly Chase was just as guilty of Code violations:

Now, I'm not saying it's right what Rinaldo did, but I hate when people act like in olden days there was so much respect, and incidents like this are so over-the-top awful. If you want fighting, you've got to expect that this sort of thing will happen. Suspend him if you will (I still believe that there should be game ejections for anyone who fights in a game), but don't act like there's this ancient code that has been violated.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireEakins #FireActon #FireSmith #FireBuchberger #FireMoores #Burnitdown #KeepJoey

Send a private message to this user  

Re: The Code [message #588495 is a reply to message #588468 ]
Thu, 07 February 2013 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

4 Cups

I thought that the response to the code was 42.

Learning is the most important part of learning basic defence.

Re: The Code [message #588569 is a reply to message #588468 ]
Thu, 07 February 2013 18:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

Enjoyed the nostalgia!

In all fairness Chase was still shorter when Primeau was on his knees. Kidding aside, we see endings like this almost weekly in the NHL. It's different when the opponent is instantly limp after a punch though.

What Semenko did was really cheap. Said it back then too.

Lafleur in a helmet is so funny looking. Little did we know his helmetless flowing hair would be a Hab trademark for years.

In a bench clearing brawl the "code" means very little because you are about to get punched in the back of the head if you are winning anyway.

Limecat Logic

Re: The Code [message #588571 is a reply to message #588569 ]
Thu, 07 February 2013 19:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

I watched the Edmonton-Calgary game with that Semenko-Hunter fight in it about five years ago on a Classic Replay. Awesome game. Oilers got an extra major to Semenko on that fight and both he and Jackson were done for the night. Scored three short-handed goals during the major en route to a 10-1 win. Gretzky, Kurri, Messier! Anderson and Coffey just put on a clinic all night.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireEakins #FireActon #FireSmith #FireBuchberger #FireMoores #Burnitdown #KeepJoey

Re: The Code [message #588589 is a reply to message #588569 ]
Fri, 08 February 2013 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

g2k wrote on Thu, 07 February 2013 17:54

Geez, was it ever. Then he kicks Peplinski when Pepliski takes exception and comes after him.

Dave Brown was a straight up lunatic.

Re: The Code [message #588664 is a reply to message #588589 ]
Fri, 08 February 2013 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dr. Oil is currently online Dr. Oil

2 Cups

Goose wrote on Thu, 07 February 2013 23:48

g2k wrote on Thu, 07 February 2013 17:54

Geez, was it ever. Then he kicks Peplinski when Pepliski takes exception and comes after him.

Yeah, both those guys looked, and acted, like serial killers. Was glad they were playing for the good guys though!

Re: The Code [message #588679 is a reply to message #588589 ]
Sat, 09 February 2013 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rukm01  is currently offline rukm01

2 Cups

Goose wrote on Fri, 08 February 2013 00:48

What's really funny is I saw him a few times away from the rink and with his glasses on he could have passed for a librarian. I guess it's true what they say about it always being the quiet ones. icon_lol

Re: The Code [message #588693 is a reply to message #588679 ]
Sat, 09 February 2013 10:27 Go to previous message
KCrounder  is currently offline KCrounder

No Cups

rukm01 wrote on Sat, 09 February 2013 09:00

Goose wrote on Fri, 08 February 2013 00:48

What's really funny is I saw him a few times away from the rink and with his glasses on he could have passed for a librarian. I guess it's true what they say about it always being the quiet ones. icon_lol

Remember what he did to The Grim Reaper, and Jim Kyte. I am not sure he could feed them anymore

Re: The Code [message #588587 is a reply to message #588468 ]
Fri, 08 February 2013 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

2 Cups

I saw Rinaldo's swings after Crombeen went down, no big deal, if you're in a scrap, and it isn't a staged fight, you probably genuinely don't like the guy, and jacked up, so you'll start swinging and there will be a delay before you can think clearly enough to stop.

I remember the time Dave Brown went off on Jim Kite, dropped him and kept punching him in the head like he was trying to start a Lawn-Boy! There was no "Code". This "Code" idea looks to be some new concoction invented by the sports "panels" so they have something to yap about.

Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Re: The Code [message #588593 is a reply to message #588587 ]
Fri, 08 February 2013 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

3 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 08 February 2013 00:25

I saw Rinaldo's swings after Crombeen went down, no big deal, if you're in a scrap, and it isn't a staged fight, you probably genuinely don't like the guy, and jacked up, so you'll start swinging and there will be a delay before you can think clearly enough to stop.

I remember the time Dave Brown went off on Jim Kite, dropped him and kept punching him in the head like he was trying to start a Lawn-Boy! There was no "Code". This "Code" idea looks to be some new concoction invented by the sports "panels" so they have something to yap about.

Rinaldo just seems like a loose cannon in general. He does everything like he's in kamikaze mode. I wasn't surprised at all that he was wildly throwing still after the apparent knockout blow. I'm doubting he registered in his mind that Crombeen was out of it before the fight was completely over.

As for the code. It seems to move along with public perception and what the league (including the media) seem to think fans want to hear/see. Like with anything else, people have short memories and the line can be moved back and forth at will by the people on TV. I'm sure the vast majority of Philly fans that watched that fight thought it was the coolest thing they've seen since Manny Pacquiao's last fight :)

..talk is cheap
..success is coming
..the game that we present and stage for the fans most nights is one of very, very high entertainment
..limitless potential
..good structural improvement

Eakins: I know EXACTLY what we need to do next year...

Re: The Code [message #588676 is a reply to message #588593 ]
Sat, 09 February 2013 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

4 Cups

Leo Tolstoy would agree with your concern over "back in the day" glorification, but I thought that the TSN guys were talking more about a long running code that is alive and well today.

Learning is the most important part of learning basic defence.

Previous Topic:Leafs fire Burke
Next Topic:Tim Thomas trade to Isles
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2014.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca